Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-28-2011, 05:05 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers weekly chat November 28 - December 4

Just typing 'December' in the title makes me shudder at the thought of Christmas baked stuff. A friend mentioned that eggnog can be substituted for cream in coffee. Why yes, yes it can - just another way to additional calories without thinking.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default what the . . .????

Bill that's why I'm going to enjoy Christmas at home this year. Total control over the menu. And there are great advantages to working outside - nowhere to put (human) treats. I love eggnog. I don't drink coffee any more but I seem to remember there is an eggnog flavoured coffee that comes out around Christmas time. Much lower calorie count.

Speaking of calories I am totally dismayed by my scale reading this morning. I stayed within my maintenance parameters all weekend (1/2 a bag of rice crisps on Sat. night but that was 240 cals) and gained 3 lbs. The body can be a capricious thing!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Bill, I wish you hadn't mentioned eggnog........eggnog ,like peanut butter is not allowed in my house.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

While you shudder about the Christmas treats, I shudder at the fact that my Christmas buying has barely begun. Today at work, I must work on my list of things to purchase so that this weekend I can finish it all and get it all sent out. Not an easy task at all.

And while I do like eggnog, I don't feel deprived if I don't get any. However, I never did stop in for my pumpkin latte and I'm pretty sure it's too late for that now and I don't really like their eggnog latte, so staying away shouldn't be a problem.

Back to work today after six days off. Then I'll only be in the office sporadically the rest of the week as I have so many errands and appointments to make. I must accomplish a lot today!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Andrea, thanks for indulging my curiosity. I hope you heal quickly!

Bill, the (non-alcoholic) eggnog has been on the store shelves for weeks now and I admit I am tempted every single time I walk past it. When I go home to my parents' house for xmas I'm sure my mom and I will share a container of low-fat eggnog. The extra calories I'm trying to avoid at the moment is the temptation to cook my morning oatmeal in apple cider instead of water (since I have a big jug of leftover apple cider from a recipe in my fridge).

Allison, I am feeling the consumerism. I have a quadruple whammy in December -- my sister's birthday on the 3rd, my mom's birthday on the 10th, and DH's birthday on the 13th, then xmas right afterwards. I picked up a gift for my sister and ordered a gift subscription to cooking light for my mom, but I still need to work on DH and I haven't even started on xmas presents yet. I may just shop for them once I'm in LA.

So this weekend our DVD player broke. Starting two weeks ago, we had to unplug it and plug it in again in order to get it to turn on. Then this weekend it just refused to turn on at all, and DH had to dismantle it to get out the netflix DVD that was still inside. I'm thinking we may as well get a wifi-enabled blu-ray player since we have to replace the DVD player anyway, with the thought that if in the future we actually buy an HDTV we will want it. There are a bunch on sale right now but I can't decide what is a good price and which will be a good one.

Then I saw an ad on TV for T-Mobile charging $49.99 per line for unlimited everything. Right now we pay $49.99 for both our phones for just 400 minutes voice only. I've been wanting a smart phone for some time but couldn't rationalize the cost. But then I realized we're paying about $50 for our home phone service after all the fees, long distance, etc. So now I'm thinking of maybe ditching the home phone line in favor of two smartphones.

Then I was thinking, while I'm at it, why not ditch the satellite TV in favor of streaming TV online plus setting up an antenna for the local stations? Then I was thinking, they broadcast in HD, TVs are on sale right now, why not buy an HDTV? Then I was thinking, well, I still want a DVR, so I could buy one of those too.

Then I realize that that is way too much work and too confusing and I probably won't buy anything at all. I do wonder if it would be cheaper in the long run though. Any of you guys ditch satellite/cable in favor of streaming? Thoughts?

In other news today is my 6 year maintenance anniversary. I'm at the same weight I was this time last year, or maybe a little less. I usually post a separate thread about what I've learned over the past year, but I don't think there were any big revelations this year. Last year I had a bunch since I was working on losing a regain, but this year has been pretty stable. I am proud of myself for not gaining weight despite my health problems putting a pretty massive kink in my exercise schedule, but that's about it. I think the only thing I really did differently this year is I realized that having three large meals works out better for me than snacking a lot, provided each meal has a good amount of fiber and fat in it (which keep me feeling full).

Just realized this was super long. Sorry for the book guys!

Last edited by paperclippy; 11-28-2011 at 10:05 AM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #6  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

This is "back on the wagon" week. I was bad last week. I ate soooo many simple carbs... bad, bad Megan. My frustrations continue I'm trying to regain the sense of control I had earlier this month, but I'm trying to get back on track and stay there. I am going to eat lots of veggies and fruits now, drink lots of water, flush out my system. I'm headed to the gym at lunch today, and have printed out a total body basic strength & cardio circuit to do from exercise.com. It's also TOM and between that and all the carbs I can't quite face the scale yet, but I'll work up to it in the next few days.

I did get my house cleaned up over the weekend and had BF pressure wash the porch/front of the house so it's ready for Christmas lights. Somehow cleaning up makes me feel better about life and I'm better at focusing on just work, walking Emma, and gym during the work-week. I also talked to my family and have a few ideas for Christmas gifts, though they are all tough ones to shop for! Santa (aka Mom & Dad) already told me that on Jan. 9 Santa will be delivering my new washing machine. So exciting and very generous of them! My old one has been broken for 8 months and though I've been using a neighbor's that can't go on indefinitely.

Jessica, I gave up cable/satellite and have netflix streaming to the tv. I do sort of miss tv though... I'm still on the fence, but I might get satellite (but I do like netflix for tv shows that aren't on TV any longer.... see I can't decide). I agree it's all really confusing! But I do like that we can stream netflix to the TV via our wireless internet and Wii. I hate that I have to make a 2 year commitment with satellite. Apparently I'm a commitment-phobe (I also had trouble handling the "commitment" of owning a washing machine last month).

Congrats on your anniversary!!!!!!!

Thank goodness I don't like eggnog. It's the one bad-for-me thing I don't care for.

Ok work is calling... so strange to be back to work after 5 days off. Have a good week all.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Allison, I am feeling the consumerism. I have a quadruple whammy in December -- my sister's birthday on the 3rd, my mom's birthday on the 10th, and DH's birthday on the 13th, then xmas right afterwards.
I think I have you beat: Four birthdays in November (sister, brother, father and daughter), three birthdays in December (friend and her two kids), Christmas (mostly gift cards for the nieces and friends' kids) followed by four more birthdays on or right after Christmas (son, father-in-law, brother-in-law and husband).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations on your anniversary Jessica. That is wonderful!

Thank goodness I also don't care for eggnog.

I am back at work but have a stupid cold. I skipped the gym yesterday and I'll have to see about today. Grrrr.....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #9  
Workin' It

I am in a serious funk today. TOM two days early + rain outside + coming down from a busy weekend = blah.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #10  

Default mostly cute dog stuff

I had an excellent day today, despite not sleeping much last night. Managed the 5 (!) retrievers' group, with just a bit of a problem getting someone to sit waay in the back by themself (you know who you are little blonde man). He managed to get his head stuck in the doggie divider and we had to stop to unstick him. Then he did it again (I did mention he was blonde, yes? ).

Lest anyone get offended I am blonde too so feel I can make some "dumb blonde" jokes.

And Hap is back on the bus, after being sidelined with kennel cough for 2 weeks (bad owner refused to get her the antibiotics right away). She sat up front with me on the way to the beach. At the first stop light she put both her front paws on my arm and leaned her head into my shoulder. We drove that way for awhile and then she took her paws off and just leand into me with her eyes shut. I had tears in my eyes, it was so touching.

At the beach she did an unasked for down/stay to get unleashed. I think she was afraid she'd done something wrong to get booted off the bus and wanted to make sure she didn't get booted off again. Yes, she IS that smart.

I seriously want this dog for my own. I have never met an animal as bright as this. She impresses me with something new every day. I would do well to be more like her.

Good evening all!

Dagmar
Old 11-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the doggie grins Dagmar. I'm going to leave work soon and go home to hug my fur-babies-- even Jozi with the horrific breath!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
Morning all,

This is "back on the wagon" week. I was bad last week. I ate soooo many simple carbs... bad, bad Megan. My frustrations continue I'm trying to regain the sense of control I had earlier this month, but I'm trying to get back on track and stay there. I am going to eat lots of veggies and fruits now, drink lots of water, flush out my system. I'm headed to the gym at lunch today, and have printed out a total body basic strength & cardio circuit to do from exercise.com. It's also TOM and between that and all the carbs I can't quite face the scale yet, but I'll work up to it in the next few days.

I did get my house cleaned up over the weekend and had BF pressure wash the porch/front of the house so it's ready for Christmas lights. Somehow cleaning up makes me feel better about life and I'm better at focusing on just work, walking Emma, and gym during the work-week. I also talked to my family and have a few ideas for Christmas gifts, though they are all tough ones to shop for! Santa (aka Mom & Dad) already told me that on Jan. 9 Santa will be delivering my new washing machine. So exciting and very generous of them! My old one has been broken for 8 months and though I've been using a neighbor's that can't go on indefinitely.

Jessica, I gave up cable/satellite and have netflix streaming to the tv. I do sort of miss tv though... I'm still on the fence, but I might get satellite (but I do like netflix for tv shows that aren't on TV any longer.... see I can't decide). I agree it's all really confusing! But I do like that we can stream netflix to the TV via our wireless internet and Wii. I hate that I have to make a 2 year commitment with satellite. Apparently I'm a commitment-phobe (I also had trouble handling the "commitment" of owning a washing machine last month).

Congrats on your anniversary!!!!!!!

Thank goodness I don't like eggnog. It's the one bad-for-me thing I don't care for.

Ok work is calling... so strange to be back to work after 5 days off. Have a good week all.
that is super to be on maintenance for so long. Super grad's to you
birdfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Bill, I wish you hadn't mentioned eggnog........eggnog ,like peanut butter is not allowed in my house.
what about the MRC eggnog? It isn't quite as creamy but still tastes like the real thing.
birdfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #14  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

My mood was too black for me to post here earlier. I'm another one who's dealing with that time of the month. And it was rainy. And there will be too much for me to do when I return to work on Tuesday. And my mother's constant advice and exhortations are wearing on me. But above all, I'm not looking forward to driving for five hours in the dark -- and possibly in the rain or snow -- this coming Friday to get downstate, and not arriving at the motel till nearly midnight. An old friend is going with me, and she's a nurse who can't get off work early.

I need to be brave. This won't be the most difficult thing I've ever done.

Last edited by saef; 11-28-2011 at 09:56 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:36 AM   #15  

I'm joining the rain 'n gloom gang (though no TOM for years now). I will be out in pouring rain all day today. It's too cold for my gortex jacket so I will be wearing a sodden parka by the end of the day and hoping not too much water has leaked through it. Good thing the tiny furry dog is not on the bus today. Haven't figured out what I'll do with her in bad weather. She still fits inside my coat but she's gotten quite strong and squirmy.

The good news is that the 3 mystery lbs. gained on the weekend have disappeared. The body IS a capricious thing.

Dagmar