Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 09:43 PM   #1  

Default Weight Watchers for Children

My neighbor's child is 8 years old and weighs about 130lbs. My neighbor knows that I am doing weight watchers and asked if there was any type of program that WW has for children. I know that teens can use the program, but what about younger kids? She's desperate, the doctor's just tell her to watch what she eats and it's not working. She needs something more structured. Does anyone know if WW has any type of information for obese children?
Old 02-12-2003, 02:37 AM   #2  

i'm sure they would work with you. i think i recall seeing a before and after story for a child around 10. and besides, healthy eating is never a bad skill to learn.

however, a caution, make sure the child really wants to change their lifestyle, because the program won't work if they don't care about changing.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:13 PM   #3  

WW is not allowing children under 16 after March 1 unless they have a doctors written approval. At 8 years of age, the doctor is probably concerned with the child growing into his/her weight. If the mother would provide nutritious meals, no junk and exercise, it might be all that's needed.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:43 AM   #4  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

My two cents...

I would never send a child under 16 to ww. This is not a place for kids. If a child is having a serious weight problem. (are you sure the mother doesn't have junk in the house. Does the child exercise? how much tv does the child watch?) if the problem continues then it should be one on one with the doctor.

My mother sent me to ww when I was 13 weight 117 lbs (I was 5' 0" at the time) It was not successful - and it was not fun!!

I go to ww now - but still have bad memories of it as a child. I don't eat fish to this day. I told my mother I didn't like it (the woman can't cook) but at that time ww told you to eat fish.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:37 AM   #5  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

There have been some recent stories in the news of people who have lost their children, it being child endangerment, to this hefty issue. That said, there are a few children in my son's class who are in this weight range. They are 9, and although they fall in to the pudgy group I would not call them fat. I think sound eating skills along with portion control of bad things is a good thing. After all, it is better to learn to manage these foods than to spend your whole life longing for them and then binging.

If the child is not active, I think that is the way to go rather than WW. The practice of good eating habits and making good choices, as we all struggle with is what is important.

This child is probably closing in on 5 feet tall and this is how children grow. It is what we do as parents and friends that help round these kids into making good choices and why it is important to do so.

I have junk in my house for the kids. It is ALL in single serve packages and after school they get to make a choice. Sometimes it is chocolate milk and a healthy snack and other times it is candy with a healthy drink, they both know that you pick and choose to meet the daily needs of your body, while still enjoying all of the "good things" that are out there. Neither of my kids is overweight, but with my family history it is a possibility none the less. They know I exercise every day and they too follow suit. I hope it will be the best of all things for them.

Sorry so long...
-L
Old 02-14-2003, 12:52 AM   #6  

Thanks for all the feedback. I will forward all of your responses to her and hopefully she can make a decision. I agree that she should be able to control what her daughter eats and how much exercise she gets. She just asked if WW was possible, and I wanted to give her an answer. Thanks again!
Old 02-15-2003, 11:50 AM   #7  

there is a young girl in our meetings. She had to be 12 to join. She was only 11 (close to 12) and they let her join.

I don't have a problem with younger kids being there. If I would have gotten a jump on this, then I would not have 100 plus to lose. And I would have better eating habits now. It is easier to change when you are young.

In this case the mom joined too. I think it is great to have that kind of support group.

Last edited by brewcitygirl; 02-15-2003 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:28 PM   #8  

I truly feel that we as parents and Grandparents need to set a good example for the kids. If we always eat junk then they will always eat junk. We have a duty to teach our kids to eat right. If we do this rather than forcing them to "diet" it will better for them in the long run.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:28 PM   #9  

Check with the parents to see what they are feeding the child at school as well. School lunches aren't very healthy, IMHO, and there's always a very sugary dessert. Also, my son's classroom teacher gives snacks in the morning and afternoon. It bothers me because my son is too full to eat his lunch, which I try to balance very well, and make it nutritious.

Also, the blanket statements about "the mom having junk food around" I found a little offensive. How about switching it to "parents." I have found in my experience that dads are more often to give in and give junk food treats to children than mothers are (at least in check-out lines.) Poor moms get the blame for everything.

Lyn
Old 02-19-2003, 04:31 PM   #10  

I forgot one thing. Many schools now feed children breakfast. The breakfasts are awful, IMHO. Fruit Loops and pop tarts are a common occurence at my son's school. Something you should have your friend check out, even if her child cannot join WW.

Lyn
Old 02-19-2003, 08:06 PM   #11  

I agree about the Dad's giving in more when it comes to junk food, at least that's how it is in my house. I work at night, I leave right after dinner. Sometimes I cringe when I think of what they are snacking on after I leave. This has been the cause of a lot of arguments w/ my DH. He's a great Dad, he just can't stand the constant whining when they don't get their way and he gives in. He's getting better though, Since I've been on WW, not so much junk in the house!
Old 02-24-2003, 06:05 PM   #12  
CIN

Just wanted to add that Quilter is correct.as of March 1 2003 WW needs a note from the Dr and the Doctor MUST set the goal for the child. The parent must sign a release form when the child comes.

My experience with children in WWers......is they are adored by all the members and also a source of encouragement for members.they figure if a child can do this so can they!

It is totally a parents decision and choice.along with a good Doctor. It is really not for us to say what anyone chooses to do with their child.

Thanks for listening to my 2 cents worth!
Cin
Closed Thread