Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

Default afraid to hear the truth?

I don't post on here often.. in fact, I haven't been on here much since the beginning of my first semester of grad school (see me --> going crazy).
My TOM has been messed up since I can remember, but I've recently been going to the doc to get it figured out... just to make sure nothing serious is wrong. I've finally been diagnosed with PCOS (after years of suspicion), but my thyroid is still normal.
Now I've been ordered for a glucose test, and here is my issue.
I'm really afraid it's going to tell me something I don't want to hear. I'm afraid it's going to tell me I'm pre-diabetic. I can go get this test done on my own time whenever I feel like it, or not at all if I choose. So now I'm scared. I don't know why, though... worst case scenario: I AM pre-diabetic, although this SHOULD only motivate me further to take care myself, right?
I guess I"m just afraid to hear the truth of my consequences, of what I've let my lifestyle and my body become.
Should I just go and get it done with, and use it as a motivating factor (whether it's positive OR negative)? Has anyone else been afraid of something like this? Thanks everyone.
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #2  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

I have been in your shoes. I was diagnosed with PCOS on November 7, 2007 and prescribed a progesterone-only version of the birth control pill to relieve some of the symptoms (irregular periods, hirsutism, etc.) My family doctor told me that the PCOS was probably most of the reason why I had so much trouble losing weight.

Last year, in January, I was diagnosed with insulin resistance ("pre-diabetes", as you call it.) I've probably had it for years, but I never wanted to get it checked out for sure, because I was like you and was scared of what I was going to find out.

My advice to you? Get the test done, as soon as possible. Because I know you're scared of what you'll find out, but if you *are* pre-diabetic, not knowing isn't going to change it. It'll only make it worse. So why not find out now, when you can still keep it from becoming full-blown diabetes?

Once I was diagnosed last year, I was put on Metformin. A couple weeks later, I started Weight Watchers. I've lost 45 pounds so far, but for me, the biggest accomplishment I've had is being able to stop taking the Metformin because my sugar and insulin levels have stabilized.

Go get the test done. You'll thank yourself for it. Good luck!
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #3  
Just One Day!

S/C/G: 270/ticker/150

Height: 5'6''

I had to have a million blood tests done in October because I had been sick for about 9 years. I'm only 22, but since I was 13 I have been lethargic, easy to temper, lots of headaches, and chronic infections (tonsilitis, sinusitis) My mom just thought I was a lazy and rather dramatic teenager when I said I didn't have the energy to move from the bed or couch. When I moved out on my own I never bothered getting tested for fear that I would find something undesirable.

After 5 months of marriage (I was married in April) I felt worse than ever...so I went to the doctor. They usually don't run all the tests on people under 25 who have no family history...but I told them I needed them all done.

I found out I have a hypothyroid and am now working with my doctor to see what dosage of meds is best for me.

All that to say this: The only power fear has over you is the power you allow it! You will wonder about whether you are all healthy or not until you test and that stress is worse than momentary fears. Good, Bad, or Ugly it's better to know than not to know.
tavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #4  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoofie View Post
I have been in your shoes. I was diagnosed with PCOS on November 7, 2007 and prescribed a progesterone-only version of the birth control pill to relieve some of the symptoms (irregular periods, hirsutism, etc.) My family doctor told me that the PCOS was probably most of the reason why I had so much trouble losing weight.

Last year, in January, I was diagnosed with insulin resistance ("pre-diabetes", as you call it.) I've probably had it for years, but I never wanted to get it checked out for sure, because I was like you and was scared of what I was going to find out.

My advice to you? Get the test done, as soon as possible. Because I know you're scared of what you'll find out, but if you *are* pre-diabetic, not knowing isn't going to change it. It'll only make it worse. So why not find out now, when you can still keep it from becoming full-blown diabetes?

Once I was diagnosed last year, I was put on Metformin. A couple weeks later, I started Weight Watchers. I've lost 45 pounds so far, but for me, the biggest accomplishment I've had is being able to stop taking the Metformin because my sugar and insulin levels have stabilized.

Go get the test done. You'll thank yourself for it. Good luck!
I DEFO 2nd this fabulous suggestion!
Not knowing will NOT make it go away.
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 249.2/on hold/166

Height: 5'5"

I have been exactly in your shoes. I knew earlier this year that my blood sugars were wacky and I was terrified of going for the blood work to hear that I was "pre-diabetic" or worse diabetic. One of the reasons I was scarred was because I knew that once I had the results of my blood work I couldn't ignore it anymore and I would have to make a lifestyle change.

You know what is even scarier then the prospect of "pre-diabetes" is full blown diabetes that has been left untreated, high blood sugars kill your cells, they destroy your organs, your eyes, your circulation which leads to cardiovascular disease, blindness, amputation of limbs, liver failure, kidney failure, etc. I actually went and got a book on diabetes and started reading about how to deal with all the complications of diabetes and it terrified me into going and getting my blood work done ASAP.

I had my blood work done the end of March of this year and it came back that my fasting blood sugars were slightly above normal but more importantly my A1C which looks at a 3 month record of your blood sugars was high meaning that my blood sugars had been above normal for at least 3 months. I immediately got to work totally changed my diet, started exercising (walking) esp after eating and monitoring my blood sugars fasting and after each meal. I had my blood sugars in normal range within 2 weeks! Because I was able to get my blood sugars in control I was not diagnosed with diabetes. I have also lost about 45 lbs since Jan (35lbs since my lifestyle change) now my blood sugars are always in the normal range even when I do indulge a bit or am off plan. I am currently pregnant and have severe nausea and vomiting so have been off plan but my blood sugars are still ok.

When you have knowledge you can make better choices for yourself. Please go and get your blood work done. face the music and start fixing the problem, also you may need some meds to get your blood sugars under control and the faster you can get them in the normal range the better. Good luck.
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 182/158/160

Height: 5'7"

I am not allowed to post links, but if you do a search for 'Paleo PCOS' or 'Paleo diabetes' you will see numerous success stories, and a some info on cause and how to avoid inflammation with proper nutrition.

Getting the test done or not done is not going to change wether you are or are not pre-diabetic. You seem like you already know that you are unhealthy and need to improve your health so if being pre diabetic is going to motivate you then might as well get the test done.

No need to be scared or anxious, it is not uncuttable, just need to educate yourself on things like inflammation, omega-3/6 balance, lectins.

Good Luck!
justhamade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

This is will seem harsh, but.

Suck it up now, get it done and deal with it. Or don't, and deal with it later!

When it's worse. My mother is a non insulin dependent diabetic, SO FAR, but still has to watch her diet. Has been warned, don't stub/injure ANY of your toes or foot/feet. You're older, your circulation is bad, you don't exercise, you are overweight, you take a Vicadin for your back, you take a muscle relaxer, you sleep with oxygen, you take a med for your pre diabetes, and meds for your eyes, because of the diabetes, and you don't want to go blind from the diabetes, (a nasty side affect) and on and on. ONE screw up, and the toes are gone, the best case, worst case the FOOT is gone!

At one point in my life, I had a lot of female health issues. I had a ovariohysterectomy (uterus and ovaries) at 31. So be it. Love the kids I have. The female issues, most likely was PCOS. The surgery cured that problem for me.

But after working for a veterinarian for 7 years, the affects of diabetes on the body are horrific. Most dogs/cats are stone blind by the time owners realize it's an issue. Along with very thin, confusion from the blindness and it goes on and on.

Do not monkey with this. Get the tests done and deal with it! You don't want to have eye issues, go blind, or have to spend the rest of you life worried that if you get an ingrown toe nail, or stub your toe, you could lose your foot.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #8  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

It's funny -- but not in a ha ha way - but I was the complete opposite. At my heaviest I was in such denial about why I was so overweight. I was a binge eater but I could easily forget about my binges within 12 hours of having them. But anyway, I went to my general practitioner BEGGING her to find a reason why I was so fat. I wanted to have a thyroid issue. I wanted to have ANTHING other than an emotional attachment (and detachment) from food.

But anyway, I do agree with the others that it is best to know right now because the damage the stress will do to you not knowing could be so much worse. It's always best to work with what you know than to stress about what you don't.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote