Weight Loss Support - Should I ask my mom to take me to the doctor to talk about weight loss?

11-21-2011, 07:29 PM
I just feel like I'm not doing something right because it seems that I'm actually gaining instead...

11-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Yes, I think that is a very good idea. I think you are very smart to be concerned and I hope your mother will do as you ask.

11-21-2011, 07:41 PM
I think if you think the information the doctor can give you will help then it can't hurt right?! You might want to think about going to a nutritionist instead, they specializes in the study of nutrition, including nutritional deficiencies, sources of nutrition, and nutritional challenges. Which may help you understand what your body needs. They may also be able to come up with a meal plan to help you get started. If you can't get an appointment or they cost much (I am not sure on the cost for a appointment with them) then a doctor could give you some valuable information as well.

You could also try getting a couple books (I dont know any but I am sure the people on here could recommend some) or do your research on the internet although you will find so many conflicting idea's it could help you understand and maybe you will find someone that works for you!

Good luck!

11-21-2011, 09:16 PM
I agree with Isis, a nutritionist might be the better answer. However a trip to the doctor can be fruitful depending on your individual doctor.

Is your doctor generally caring and supportive? Many doctors will just tell you to "eat less and move more" and consider that their weight loss advice—not very helpful if you don't know much about how to eat less and exercise.

A good, supportive doctor will give you the information you need.

Spending most of my life overweight and obese meant that trips to the doctor were demoralizing. It was annoying to hear from the doctors and my mother that I needed to lose weight but nobody told me HOW. I had to find out on my own.

11-21-2011, 09:22 PM
I would recommend a registered dietician over a nutritionist just to make sure the person is regulated with a solid background, unfortunately anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. An RD (registered dietician) has a solid background (4+ years) in food science.

11-21-2011, 09:30 PM
The poster sounded like a young person, especially as she asked if she should ask her mom to take her to see a doctor. You have all posted good advice but I am afraid you are only confusing her, giving her more suggestions that she has asked for.
I stick by my first answer and say if she feels comfortable in seeing her doctor, yes , she should ask her mom to take her to the doctor.

11-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Most insurance doesn't cover nutritionists or dieticians especially without a referral from. doctor. If I were you I would talk with my parent and then talk to the Dr and my parent about it. If you are living at home and not in total control of all the food coming into the home it will be important for your parent to know what you are working on and what the dr says so they can be helpful.

11-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Welcome to the forum! Why don't you tell us more about yourself, and how you've been trying to lose weight? It may be that we can help you work out the problem here, or at least help you figure out whether or not it's a problem with how you're dieting or something that may indicate a medical problem. Everyone makes mistakes at first when they're losing weight, and sometimes those mistakes are quite easy to address once you've figured out what you're doing wrong (e.g. miscalculating portion sizes).

How old are you, sweetie, and how much weight are you trying to lose? Is your family being supportive about it, or are they making your feel bad about your weight?