Weight Loss Support - What food(s) do you miss the most?

lissvarna
11-21-2011, 02:01 PM
So, three months in I eat a lot differently, but notice that I don't actually miss much. I don't miss a fast food lunch and I don't mind eating a lean cuisine almost every day, don't really miss burgers & fries or snacking throughout the day. I do miss drinking craft beer, but I'm enjoying wine instead.

The one thing i REALLY miss is bagels. An everything bagel with veggie cream cheese was my breakfast nearly every morning, and I have to say it is surprisingly what I miss the most. The positive here is, it's the only thing I can really think of that I really miss eating regularly!

So, what's that one thing for you?

Thighs Be Gone
11-21-2011, 02:05 PM
I really, really love cream filled donuts.

Thighs Be Gone
11-21-2011, 02:06 PM
I also miss buttercream frosted fresh cake.

Mimzzy
11-21-2011, 02:09 PM
I miss pasta with rich and creamy sauces

PrincessAmy
11-21-2011, 02:15 PM
I miss ramen noodles..kinda odd to me. lol & cheese sticks with ranch!

Melfuchsia
11-21-2011, 02:16 PM
I miss raspberries! And peanut butter (not the two together)

Melfuchsia
11-21-2011, 02:21 PM
oooh, and rice. I've blocked it out of my thoughts, so it did not even comme to mind as something I miss, It just doesn't exist anymore!

sontaikle
11-21-2011, 02:44 PM
I still eat what I ate before, so I don't miss anything. Occasionally I'll wish I could just eat whatever amount I want, but then I remember how I felt after eating large meals and then I don't miss it anymore.

Have you tried mini-bagels? I don't eat full-size bagels anymore, but any time my mother buys bagels for the family I ask her to get me a mini one so I can still enjoy a bagel without going crazy.

berryblondeboys
11-21-2011, 02:50 PM
If I didn't have blood sugar issues, I wouldn't have given up anything I wanted. So, if I loved bagels, I would fit them in occasionally. However, I do have blood sugar issues. I can control it with diet alone, but that means I have given up pasta, rice, sweet potatoes, breads and desserts. For some reason potatoes don't spike my blood sugar.

What I miss is homemade bread, toasted and then slathered in butter. Totally can't eat that any more and I miss it!

Steph7409
11-21-2011, 03:49 PM
I haven't had a bagel in 4 months. It's a hard one to fit into my daily calories.

KaeLynnB
11-21-2011, 04:04 PM
They have those 110 calorie bagels...those are awesome!! I don't miss anything either. I still eat the same stuff...just alot less of it!! But I've also learned to eat different stuff....different veggies and different meals...works out well for me!

pattypaw
11-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Ice cream! I can't just eat a little and walk away so i don't even touch it.

ParkTrot
11-21-2011, 04:23 PM
I still eat whatever I want essentially, just in moderation. However the one thing I have been able to figure out how to eat is pepperoni pizza from my favorite pizza place. Don't get me wrong, I can work pepperoni pizza into my diet - just not THAT one and boy do I miss it.

kirsteng
11-21-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm an everything-in-moderation girl too, so I can happily say that I haven't given up anything.. but sometimes I only get a taste. Most of the time that taste is enough though... on a friday night though, that second glass of wine is looking AWFULLY good.

I used to do Atkins and it drove me nutty... I craved bread like you wouldn't believe and the fruit - don't even get me started. I was miserable without it! :devil:

lin43
11-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Count me as one of those who doesn't miss much because I incorporate what I love to eat into my daily calories. It also helps that a lot of what I love to eat is also good for me.

However, I must admit that there are some foods I just wish I could have more of: Pecan pie (my all-time favorite dessert) and real, NY-style pizza (1 slice is the max I can fit into my calorie range) come to mind. Normally, if I do give in and eat more of those types of foods than I should, I just cut back for a few days to make up for it.

Jadeybaby
11-21-2011, 06:35 PM
I miss drinking milk. I love milk. I've been vegan for 2 months (it started off as an experiment because me and some friends were like "what do vegans eat? Let's try it") and it's working well because I couldn't do moderation with milk I would drink like 3 pints of it a day lol.

I don't miss any food at all, which is weird cuz I really thought I would!

PrairieGirl
11-21-2011, 10:31 PM
I miss raspberries! And peanut butter (not the two together)

Is there a particular reason you don't eat these? Even a binge of raspberries won't be that bad.. pb I can see if it's a trigger, but a natural peanut butter shouldn't do that because it's missing the salt and sugar that you find in most prepared pb.

Alimperru
11-21-2011, 10:47 PM
everything with cheese and bread lol

124chicksinger
11-21-2011, 10:50 PM
lissvarna I avoided bagels for months...they just didn't fit into the menus I was creating because breakfasts had really slimmed and become more nutritious choices....but one night, after a very local day and I wasn't cooking family dinner, I couldn't decide what to have and hub said he'd go get me a bagel with cream cheese and jelly and a skim latte. I ate it....but I didn't enjoy it like I used to. So, there is no longing for a bagel since I realized it was just "bleh" when I did have it---plus, there's so many calories it isn't often that its going to be my "go to" food.

Other than that, there really isn't anything I've avoided since dieting--avoiding Almond Joy bars goes back way beyond dieting....lol

Emerald Eyes
11-21-2011, 11:32 PM
I really allow myself to eat everything I like still...just not all the time, and just not a lot of it.

What I miss eating as much as I want whenever I want: French Fries. Great big mounds of french fries covered in melted cheese and bacon and dipped in ranch dressing.

runningfromfat
11-22-2011, 05:22 AM
Cereal and poptarts. I have 0 control there. i haven't bought them for months and months for good reason. Most other foods I can eat every now and then and be ok but not those.

Unna
11-22-2011, 06:09 AM
Alcohol. Of all sorts. Pretty cocktails, champagne, hefe - beers, a good quality tequila shot.

I miss the social aspect of it. It was fun to have 3-4 drinks and spend the night out and about with friends. But, for me, it is SO hard to justify alcohol calories. They are empty and they just make me hungrier later.

Maybe, in maintenance, I'll be able to fit in two or three drinks a week. Now, no way!

liliesinmycereal
11-22-2011, 07:10 AM
I don't miss any food because I still eat everything it's just in moderation (for the most part).. I sometimes miss eating to the point of being full all the time but I'm learning I don't have to do that

ShanIAm
11-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Big Mac, Filet-A-Fish, Quarter Pounder, French Fries.... icy coke, thick shake, sundaes and apple pies.

*sigh*

And Kraft Mac & Cheese in reckless abandon portions.

MedChick87
11-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Sadly, I miss fast food. I wish I could say i was one of those people that didn't like fast food or found it gross and fake...but I find it so delicioussss. I pretty much have to stay away completely or else I fall back into the bad habit of going daily. It's probably the one type of food that I can't eat just a small serving of...otherwise I eat most of what I want just either a smaller portion or a lower-cal version.

Munchy
11-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Nothing because I eat everything I've always eaten. My diet has remained roughly the same from the time I was in middle school and started preparing my own meals, though I went through years of vegetarianism, and had a quick very low-carb bout. I'm much more sodium conscious now, and eat fewer processed foods.
It's the amount of foods, and keeping track of them, that make me lose or gain.

justhamade
11-22-2011, 06:47 PM
I miss beer, after figuring out that gluten is evil I rarely drink beer anymore and when I do I have issues.

I miss chocolate when I don't have it but I still have extra dark chocolate often still.

I miss ice-cream too.

The thing that I thought i missed but don't is baked goods. Sometimes I will cheat and have one and it is always very anti-climatic. It is funny how your palate and tastes change when you cut out a lot of sugar.

If I didn't have blood sugar issues, I wouldn't have given up anything I wanted. So, if I loved bagels, I would fit them in occasionally. However, I do have blood sugar issues. I can control it with diet alone, but that means I have given up pasta, rice, sweet potatoes, breads and desserts. For some reason potatoes don't spike my blood sugar.

What I miss is homemade bread, toasted and then slathered in butter. Totally can't eat that any more and I miss it!

Interesting that potatoes don't affect your blood sugar but sweet potatoes do?
Everything I've read the glycemic index of white potatoes is higher than sweet potatoes.

ELBS717
11-22-2011, 08:47 PM
It's not even worth it - and it's not something I ever really had very often before anyway - but Doritoes. Ohhhhh, cheesey Doritoes that turn your fingers orange. And homemade pizza. Sigh.
Everything else I've missed, I've been able to substitute with something healthier so that I don't feel like I'm missing anything (ex. spaghetti squash instead of pasta). Those two things above are the only two I haven't been able to do that with!

amandie
11-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Nothing, really because I still have what I want but in moderation of course. I guess I would say I miss being able to eat and not worry about the calories but that's what got me here in the first place, lol.

Munchy
11-23-2011, 10:35 AM
It's not even worth it - and it's not something I ever really had very often before anyway - but Doritoes. Ohhhhh, cheesey Doritoes that turn your fingers orange. And homemade pizza. Sigh.
Everything else I've missed, I've been able to substitute with something healthier so that I don't feel like I'm missing anything (ex. spaghetti squash instead of pasta). Those two things above are the only two I haven't been able to do that with!

Do they still make those baked doritos? Also, flatout bread (http://www.flatoutbread.com/category/recipes/flatbread-wraps/grillin-pizza/) makes a great thin-crust pizza for few calories.

Chubbykins
11-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Coca-cola...
I never liked soda in general. I only drank coca-cola... and I drank lots of it. I replaced most of my water intake with it. It is the only reason I gained weight, since I really do not like food that much. My meals used to be 600 calories 3x a day AND 1,5 litres of coca-cola to wash it down.

I actually had addict behavior when it came to coke. I drank it before going home so nobody knew I drank any ( nobody made me feel ashamed, I felt it all on my own). I pretended it didn't happen because nobody else knew... except the shop-keeper (lol). I felt a thrill when I gulped it down and still it is a very strong memory of pleasure I can't forget.

It is something I can't take in small portions. I jut know I won't be able to forget it for a single moment afterwards :(

I still miss that pleasure.

NCchickie
11-23-2011, 11:00 AM
I love salt and vinegar chips! And I miss those.
Other than chips and ice cream, I still eat everything I used to eat, just not the same amount.

kakeJ
11-23-2011, 11:03 AM
I too eat almost everything but definiitely in moderation. I no longer have french fries, beer, and soda not even diet but, I don't miss it. Of course, I am happy with the loss in the last nearly 5 months but see the rate slowing and now...The holidays are here and temptations to overindulge will be omnipresent. I will try to only taste the chocolate cheesecake that is put out, but I won't be buying nor baking:nono: it. LOL