11-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Hi! I have been on and off this forum for a while, checking things out, and whatnot. Been on many a diet...oye...and I just finally got the nerve up to send in my papers to be considered for Gastric Bypass.
I am in Sweden and from what I understand (from a friend who had the surgery 2 years ago) they treat the body, not the mind. They give you a list of what and what not to do and send you on your way.
I am not certain I will be chosen to have the surgery (although with my height and weight I am almost guaranteed a spot) but I am hopeful.
I just wanted to pop on and say hi. I am going to go through the threads and read, but what are some of the questions you all asked your doctors before considering the surgery?
I can't say as I asked my doctor any questions before considering surgery, this is something I had been thinking about for 4 years. Doing your homework is the best thing but it is too bad that they don't offer any sort of emotional therapy as well. We do have an appt with a social worker and nutritionist and regular follow-ups afterwards. I'm discovering in about the past 3 months or so how much of an emotional eater I actually am though for years I denied it. Coming to these message boards is a great way at least to talk about your feelings and why you eat the way you do. Sometimes just talking it out and hearing the experience of others can give you insight into your own food issues.
11-19-2011, 01:02 PM
These are NOT my questions, but questions that others have posted. If I am not mistaken, most of them came from Jillybean, and while many of them are DS specific, they can be modified to the procedure you are considering.
How many of your DS surgeries that started out lap were converted to open?
How many of your DS patients have died? From what?
How many of your DS patients have had serious complications? What were they?
How many of your DS patients have had serious nutritional complications?
Are there specific deficiencies you see most often?
How are these patients followed?
Have you had to do any revisions?
How often do you see leaks?
Will my being from out of town affect my follow-up?
How do you determine the size of the common channel, alimentary limb, and gastric sleeve?
What do you think my goal weight should be?
Do I need to lose a certain amount of weight or get to a certain BMI before surgery?
What is the pre-op diet?
What are the preparations for the surgery? Testing? Timeline?
Will my surgery be open or laparoscopic?
How will the incision be closed? Stitches, steri-strips, glue or staples?
How long would the open incision be?
How long should the surgery take, barring complications?
Will I have an epidural?
Will you remove my appendix during surgery?
In the hospital:
Will I/should I wear a binder after surgery? Does the hospital provide one, or should I bring one with me?
What level of pain/nausea should I expect?
Will I be taking an acid reducer after surgery? For how long?
Will I go home with a feeding tube?
Will I have a drainage tube? For how long? Will I go home with it?
How long should I expect to be in the hospital?
Whats required for me to be dischargeable?
Can my husband or any family member stay with me in the hospital?
Typical discharge instructions?
Will I need to stay in the area following discharge?
When will the staples/stitches be removed?
When will I need to return for follow-up? How frequently?
What type of follow-up do you prefer for DS post-ops?
Can a local doctor provide this?
What sort of doctor?
How can he/she communicate with you about my particular long-term needs?
How often will labs be checked in year one? Thereafter?
Can labs be ordered by my PCP and faxed to your office for analysis?
After surgery, when can I resume my normal activities?
How long should I expect to be out of work?
How soon will I be able to drive?
Do I have a limit on how much I can carry or lift? For how long?
How soon can I begin an exercise regimen, besides walking?
What types of exercise do you recommend and at what stage post-op?
Diet and nutrition:
Are practice nutritionists experienced in DS follow-up?
What is the post-op diet?
Whats the vitamin regimen following surgery? Does it change over time? What percentage of calories and fat will my body absorb post-op?
How many calories and fat grams should I eat post-op?
How many grams of protein should I consume each day?
Do you recommend protein supplements?
Are there any specific foods I should not consume post-op?
What supplements and medications will I be taking post-op?
Longer term medical issues:
Will there be medications that I can no longer take post-op, or medications I won't absorb normally?
What are my odds of getting a hernia? Does the risk vary whether the surgery is open or lap? Can I cause a hernia? What should I do to avoid a hernia?
What are my odds of adhesions?
How might this surgery affect health problems I may develop later? (cancer treatment, need for stronger meds for arthritis, osteoporosis, etc.)
Questions to ask a doctor when considering them to be your Surgeon:
1. How much common channel will I have?
2. How many supplements should I take? If they say none, ask if you CAN take them.
3. What vitamins supplements should I take post-op?
4. How big will my stomach be?
5. Can/should I drink milk after surgery? Sugar? Fats?
6. How often do I need labs?
7. How long am I off solid foods?
8. Of my excess weight, what percentage will I lose? What percentage will I keep off?
9. How "strict" of a diet will I be on?
10. If I am still nauseated or vomiting after surgery, what will yo do for me?
11. What is your mortality rate?
12. How many DS surgeries have you performed?
13. How many DS patients lost?
14. How many leaks?
15. What do you think my goal weight should be?
16. What is the pre-op diet?
17. What are the preparations for the surgery?
18. What is the post-op diet?
19. Can labs be ordered by my PCP and faxed to your office for analysis?
20. What do I do about my medications pre-op? Post-op?
21. How will the incision be closed? Stitches, Steri-Strips, Glue or Staples?
22. How long is the Open incision?
23. Will my surgery be open or laproscopic?
24. How long should the surgery take, barring complications?
25. Will I go home with a feeding tube?
26. Do I bring my CPAP machine with me?
27. Will I be in I.C.U., due to my sleep apnea?
28. Will I have the leg compression devices that help prevent blood clots?
29. Will I get a binder in the hospital? Or Do I need to provide my own?
30. How soon will I be able to drive?
31. Will I have an epidural?
32. Will I be tested for H. Pylori bacteria? And, is there anything I can do to prevent it?
33. Have you ever started a DS and couldn't complete it?
34. Will I have a drainage tube? For how long? Will I go home with it?
35. What type of pain medication will I be given for home use?
36. Are there gowns in the hospital for someone of my size?
37. After surgery, when can I resume my normal activities?
38. Do I have a limit on how much I can carry or lift? For how long?
39. How soon can I begin an exercise regimen, besides walking?
40. Do you have a list of medications that I can/cannot take?
41. What about future pregnancies? Will they be considered high risk? Will I need a specialized OB/GYN?
42. Should I get a medic alert bracelet?
43. When will the staples/stitches be removed? Will I have either?
44. Will I get injections of Heparin, to prevent blood clots?
45. What supplements can I take to help prevent/lessen/diminish hair loss?
46. How many of your patients have lost their spleens?
47. What are my odds of getting a hernia?
48. Can I actually cause a hernia?
49. Will I have a Foley? If so, how long will it stay in?
50. After surgery, how do you detect for leaks?
51. What are my odds of getting a UTI, bladder infection or yeast infection?
52. Can I meet the anesthesiologist beforehand?
53. How soon will I be able to shower after surgery?
54. When is the soonest I can get scheduled for surgery?
55. What are my odds of adhesions?
56. What is the youngest person you would perform this surgery on?
57. How long do I stay in Recovery?
58. Can someone stay with me IN the hospital?
59. How long before I will be at 100% healed, barring complications?
60. How long will I be in the hospital?
61. How often are follow-up visits, post-op?
62. What year did you begin performing WLS?
63. Are you a general surgeon, or do you specialize in Bariatrics only?
64. Are my gallbladder and/or appendix removed during surgery?
11-21-2011, 03:17 AM
wow Zeitgeist!! Thank you:)
I too am an emotional eater, Jen. I also eat when I am bored, which has been a lot lately.