Weight Loss Support - 2lb gain in 24 hours?! I'm so discouraged...

Emerald Eyes
11-18-2011, 10:28 AM
yesterday morning, I weighed 125.5lbs. This morning, I weighed 127.5lbs. What the crap?

Could it all be water weight I'm holding on to? it isn't my TOM, and I didn't eat particularly salty yesterday, either. It's just so frustrating....I worked out 2 different times yesterday for about 20 minutes each, and did pretty well with my eating. I didn't, however, drink much water. I didn't drink much of anything.

Do you think that is my accurate weight? SO discouraging....

JayEll
11-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Hey... Don't worry, it's probably water weight (because you can't put on 2 pounds of fat in 24 hours). And the reason is because you didn't drink water. It sounds wrong, but the fact is that if you don't drink enough water, your body holds onto it. So drink that water!

Jay

sacha
11-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Do you think you binged around 7000+ calories yesterday? If not, there is your answer. Remember, weight is just a number on the scale affected by water retention, the fluids you take in, the crap you take in the morning, sodium, etc.

If you can't deal with these daily trends (some can, some can't - that's for you to decide) then I suggest weekly or even monthly weighing.

Beck
11-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Unless you ate in excess of 7000 calories, then you did not gain 2lb in 2 days. Your body fluctuates daily; don't be discouraged by the normal weight fluctuations.

One thing that helped me get a better perspective on this was to weigh in daily (there is a daily weigh-in thread each month at 3FC) and to chart weight loss/gain. I found that I lose weight pre- and during my cycle, don't lose a single ounce between my period and ovulation, gain at ovulation (water retention), then drop weight almost daily after ovulation.

Emerald Eyes
11-18-2011, 10:36 AM
thanks everybody! I know in my head that i couldn't have gained 2lbs in 24 hours, but it's still a shock and discouragement to work so hard and see an increase in numbers...

I'm going to pour myself a big glass of ice water. *grumble*

It's nice not to be alone.
charting may be a very good idea for me... Thanks again.

sontaikle
11-18-2011, 10:45 AM
The problem with daily weighing is that your weight fill fluctuate. It might be a good idea if you're set on daily weighing to record each day's weigh ins; this way you'll be able to see patterns and will not be so surprised when you miraculously "gain" two pounds.

I've been recording my weigh-ins since I was 192 pounds. I've since noticed patterns in how I retain water and how I lose weight. Sometimes I can correctly guess if I'm going to be down or up in weight because I'm so tuned into my body's fluctuations.

twinieten
11-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Fluctuations in weight is normal. I weigh myself every day, so I see this type of jump in weight all the time.

Since you didn't drink much water yesterday, and because you exercised, you're probably just retaining.

Possibly you ate something a little saltier than you realize, or maybe you ate something more sugary than you realize..... Or sometimes there's no explanation.....

Drink lots of water, watch what you eat, and that weight will be gone in the next couple of days.

QuilterInVA
11-18-2011, 11:47 AM
It sounds like you need to weigh just once a week because you don't handle daily fluctuations well.

Mimzzy
11-18-2011, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't give that a second thought. Its totally normal to fluctuate a couple pounds from day to day. For example, yesterday I weighed in at 140.2, this morning I am 141.2. I had a great day yesterday, ran for over an hr, kept my calories on track, didn't have much salt and yet here I am up a whole pound! You will probably drop those extra pounds in a day or two! Don't let it get you down :D

sept15lija
11-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Totally normal. I weigh every day - yesterday I was 131.2, today I'm 133.4. Just how our bodies work - there's multiple reasons for very normal fluctuations.

carter
11-18-2011, 12:19 PM
It sounds like you need to weigh just once a week because you don't handle daily fluctuations well.

Better still, learn about fluctuations and understand them and get comfortable with them, even if you decide to weigh once a week. You need to develop this understanding because fluctuations can easily mask a week or two's worth of fat loss - you can still see weight gains that don't correspond to actual fat gain even if you weigh once a week.

To the OP, the others have set you on the right track - daily fluctuations in weight happen for a variety of reasons, most of which are not within your control. Sticking to your plan will cause you to lose weight over time, but you can't expect to see your weight march cooperatively downward day after day, because (as nice as it would be) the body doesn't work that way.

Just keep in mind that the most important question in evaluating your success is not whether you weigh less today than yesterday. It's not even whether you weigh less today than you did a week ago. What matters is whether you weigh less today than you did a month, or two, or three ago.

kirsteng
11-18-2011, 12:43 PM
I can really relate to your pain - because 5 days ago I gained SIX pounds overnight, and I'm still carrying around 4 of them. Effectively erasing my whole month's work so far, or so it feels anyway.

Just don't do what I did and go completely off plan (yesterday). I woke up this morning feeling rotten, but the good part was that it stiffened my resolve to continue on with my plan, regardless of horrendous fluctuations. It's just not worth it to go back to waking up and feeling mad at myself and hopeless. Plus, the candy gave me a wicked dry mouth. ;)

I still am going to continue with daily weighing, because for me the payoffs of pounds lost (when they happen) trump the days when the scale goes up... but you'll have to figure out what works for you.

Keep it up and GL!

pockets
11-18-2011, 01:18 PM
2lbs is nothing. I can easily fluctuate 8-9lbs in a day.

lissvarna
11-18-2011, 02:27 PM
I had a bad Halloween weekend, lotssss of treats and going out to eat, and that Monday I'd gained FIVE pounds! But I was back to my current weight by the next day. So I wouldn't worry.

teagal
11-18-2011, 03:24 PM
yesterday morning, I weighed 125.5lbs. This morning, I weighed 127.5lbs. What the crap?

Could it all be water weight I'm holding on to? it isn't my TOM, and I didn't eat particularly salty yesterday, either. It's just so frustrating....I worked out 2 different times yesterday for about 20 minutes each, and did pretty well with my eating. I didn't, however, drink much water. I didn't drink much of anything.

muscle weighs more than fat. is it possible you have better muscle tone?

pockets
11-18-2011, 06:02 PM
muscle weighs more than fat. is it possible you have better muscle tone?

In 24hrs? No. It is possible her muscles are retaining water from working out. And muscles don't weigh more, a pound is a pound is a pound, muscle is more dense however.

lossforlife
11-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Hi everyone, I have been guilty of weighing myself obsessively before (sometimes twice daily) but have learned the error of my ways.

I have always been an advocate of body measurements, these are far more accurate and telling of what is really going on. Try to move away from the scales for a while and whip out your tape measure :) x

Lunula
11-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Oh my, don't pay attention to day-to-day gains & losses! Your body fluctuates so much that it'll just drive you crazy. And it really has nothing to do with muscle build vs. fat -- it takes a good 8 weeks to build lean muscle, not 24 hours -- it's likely water weight (I don't think the food you eat can even convert to fat in that amount of time).

Kahokkuri
11-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Get out of my mind, OP!

I've been weighing daily for almost five months now; while I recognize that fluctuation is normal and I have accepted it, I was aghast to see that I'm 2.3kg (5lbs!) heavier than I was yesterday (which happened to be a new low 1.8kg lower than my previous). Incredibly upsetting!

In order to make sense of the number, I input yesterday's calories as faithfully as I could from memory–I went to a party and snacked random foods through the evening–and I can see a number of likely culprits: lack of water, almost 3000mg of sodium, 76% calories from carbs, too much booze. Although it hurts to look and realize that I ate almost 3500kcal, it's better knowing that there is a reason I'm up today so I can combat it.

kaplods
11-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Fluctuations are only upsetting because we allow them to be, because we think that we shouldn't see them. If we realized just how normal they were, we wouldn't be so easily discouraged by them.

You can only be disappointed, discouraged, or frustrated when your reality doesn't meet your expectations. When your surpass your expectations, disappointment isn't the result, elation is.

I "cured" myself of fluctuation disappointment by not just weighing daily, by truly educating myself on all the possible sources of fluctuation.

I didn't just weigh daily, I weighed dozens of times per day. Before and after meals. Before and after exercising. Before and after dressing. Before and after going to the potty, drinking, eating.....

And I learned that there are so many sources of fluctuations that it's absolutely insane to expect the scale to be at the same exact number for days and weeks at a time.

Weight maintenance isn't about seeing a magic number forever, it's about staying in a target range forever (or until the range no longer works for you). And you're going to be a lot happier, if you set that range within a seven to ten pounds (several pounds above and below the middle) than one or two pounds.

When you realize that just drinking one large glass of water or eating a very large, but low-calorie salad will make you "gain a pound" on the scale until you've peed or pooped it out, it seems ridiculous to expect to never see a scale fluctuation.

Just eating more or fewer carbs can change the amount of water weight your body needs to carry.

Exercise, illness, injury, hormonal fluctuations, the weight of the digesting food in your stomach, your natural digestive speed, the amount of rest, sleep, and stress you're experiencing, even the weather.... they all can affect your weight on the scale at any given moment.

Weighing more frequently helped me understand and and learn to anticipate the fluctuations, but I had to get rid of the idea that the fluctuations were "unfair," or "bad."

For example, knowing that my body needs extra water to repair injury, makes me realize that when I'm hurt, the "extra" weight I see on the scale after an injury, is not a bad thing. It's a good thing, and that's why the "magic number" is not a good way to view my body.

I would never exercise or never eat, if I was afraid of seeing fluctuations on the scale.

For me, waiting a week didn't help, because if I happened to see a five pound gain, it was that much more traumatic, having to wait a whole nother week to discover whether it was a fluctuation or a "real" gain.

Even now I use the scale to give me "worst case scenario." It's impossible to gain more from a food than the food weighs. Because only fat has 3500 calories per pound (and you have to eat an extra 3500 calories to gain a pound).

That means if I eat a 2 ounce candy bar, at worst I can gain 2 ounces from eating that candy bar. So, if I get on the scale after a food "mistake" I know that my weight on the scale immediately after that mistake is "worst case scenario."

It destroys the logic of "I made a mistake, so I might as well screw up really bady and start fresh tomorrow, or Monday."

I chose to see stepping on the scale as a way to symbolize that every moment is a new opportunity.

When I step on the scale (no matter when I do so), I look at that weight as "worst case scenario." It reminds me that 2 ounces won't cause me to gain 2 lbs, but deciding that another 2 ounces, and another and another will add up very quickly.

No weight by itself "matters" only working towards the direction I am wanting to move, matters.

I also stopped looking at only weight loss as counting as success. "This time" I've been able to lose nearly 100 lbs (almost 30% more than I've ever managed to lose before) only because I decided that "not gaining" was success. So every time I stepped on the scale and it was equal to or lesser than the previous weigh-in, I got to celebrate. And if I learned to understand my fluctations, I could learn to succeed a lot more often than I failed.

But we have to realize that fluctations aren't failure, they're just fluctuations. And some people have to deal with more fluctations than others. If you have a health condition, that even at a healthy weight can lead to five and even ten pound fluctations, you're going to doom yourself to failure, if you consider fluctuations failure.

birdfeet
11-19-2011, 11:05 PM

Your weight changes during the day. Mornings are lighter than later on during day. Don't check your weight everyday,as it fluxuates from water gains,stress etc. If you don't get the water your system needs your body will hold onto and store it for later use. Don't be so down on yourself,just keep on trying and saying ,tomorrow it will be different. good luck.

birdfeet
11-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Fluctuations are only upsetting because we allow them to be, because we think that we shouldn't see them. If we realized just how normal they were, we wouldn't be so easily discouraged by them.

You can only be disappointed, discouraged, or frustrated when your reality doesn't meet your expectations. When your surpass your expectations, disappointment isn't the result, elation is.

I "cured" myself of fluctuation disappointment by not just weighing daily, by truly educating myself on all the possible sources of fluctuation.

I didn't just weigh daily, I weighed dozens of times per day. Before and after meals. Before and after exercising. Before and after dressing. Before and after going to the potty, drinking, eating.....

And I learned that there are so many sources of fluctuations that it's absolutely insane to expect the scale to be at the same exact number for days and weeks at a time.

Weight maintenance isn't about seeing a magic number forever, it's about staying in a target range forever (or until the range no longer works for you). And you're going to be a lot happier, if you set that range within a seven to ten pounds (several pounds above and below the middle) than one or two pounds.

When you realize that just drinking one large glass of water or eating a very large, but low-calorie salad will make you "gain a pound" on the scale until you've peed or pooped it out, it seems ridiculous to expect to never see a scale fluctuation.

Just eating more or fewer carbs can change the amount of water weight your body needs to carry.

Exercise, illness, injury, hormonal fluctuations, the weight of the digesting food in your stomach, your natural digestive speed, the amount of rest, sleep, and stress you're experiencing, even the weather.... they all can affect your weight on the scale at any given moment.

Weighing more frequently helped me understand and and learn to anticipate the fluctuations, but I had to get rid of the idea that the fluctuations were "unfair," or "bad."

For example, knowing that my body needs extra water to repair injury, makes me realize that when I'm hurt, the "extra" weight I see on the scale after an injury, is not a bad thing. It's a good thing, and that's why the "magic number" is not a good way to view my body.

I would never exercise or never eat, if I was afraid of seeing fluctuations on the scale.

For me, waiting a week didn't help, because if I happened to see a five pound gain, it was that much more traumatic, having to wait a whole nother week to discover whether it was a fluctuation or a "real" gain.

Even now I use the scale to give me "worst case scenario." It's impossible to gain more from a food than the food weighs. Because only fat has 3500 calories per pound (and you have to eat an extra 3500 calories to gain a pound).

That means if I eat a 2 ounce candy bar, at worst I can gain 2 ounces from eating that candy bar. So, if I get on the scale after a food "mistake" I know that my weight on the scale immediately after that mistake is "worst case scenario."

It destroys the logic of "I made a mistake, so I might as well screw up really bady and start fresh tomorrow, or Monday."

I chose to see stepping on the scale as a way to symbolize that every moment is a new opportunity.

When I step on the scale (no matter when I do so), I look at that weight as "worst case scenario." It reminds me that 2 ounces won't cause me to gain 2 lbs, but deciding that another 2 ounces, and another and another will add up very quickly.

No weight by itself "matters" only working towards the direction I am wanting to move, matters.

I also stopped looking at only weight loss as counting as success. "This time" I've been able to lose nearly 100 lbs (almost 30% more than I've ever managed to lose before) only because I decided that "not gaining" was success. So every time I stepped on the scale and it was equal to or lesser than the previous weigh-in, I got to celebrate. And if I learned to understand my fluctations, I could learn to succeed a lot more often than I failed.

But we have to realize that fluctations aren't failure, they're just fluctuations. And some people have to deal with more fluctations than others. If you have a health condition, that even at a healthy weight can lead to five and even ten pound fluctations, you're going to doom yourself to failure, if you consider fluctuations failure.

How true on it all. I read also,falling down is not a failure,staying down is the failure.
We need the water for our bodys to do everything it needs,but also we need the water to help flush out the fat we are losing.

Ryler832
11-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Don't let daily fluctuations discourage you. It affected me a lot in the beginning but now I know it's really nothing to be concerned about. You couldn't have eaten 7000 calories over what you normally consume. I gained 2 lbs overnight but that was because of the pickles I've eaten (lots of sodium). The weight will come off in a few days.