General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/256.3/160

Height: 5'10"

Default Adult Wisdom Teeth Extraction

Have gotten your wisdom teeth out as an adult? If so, what was your experience?

In about 2 weeks I will get mine out. I've never had dentist issues, in fact I enjoy going to the dentist. But I have never had a tooth pulled and now I am getting 4 pulled. I trust the dentist that I am going to but I am a little nervous.

So what was your experience?
KatTheAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I had two pulled when I was 18 and they suddenly decided to start coming in despite being halfway in for six years. I only had three altogether, one is still in my mouth.

It wasn't fun. I was in a lot of pain because they were growing in fast and I needed to have emergency oral surgery. I was given the option of getting knocked out or just taking a sedative and novocain and being awake during the procedure.

I wanted to get the h*ll out of there so I chose to get the sedative and novocain. the procedure itself was fine. All I felt was them poking around my mouth and mild discomfort. I didn't even feel them putting the stitches in.

When they led me out of the room to lay down, I felt so dizzy it was pretty funny actually. My mother took me home after that and after I got some painkillers and other than a swollen cheek for the next few days, I was fine.

The only pain about the whole thing was getting the stitches removed. I wish they had used dissolvable ones.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #3  

I had them out in my twenties without any problems at all.
Sinoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4''

What do you mean by adult? I had them out at 19 when and it was laughably easy (no swelling, etc). However, my roots hadn't really gone deep yet. My dad had his out in his early 40s and it was much more painful (because of the roots). It really depends. Your oral surgeon should be able to look at your x-rays and see if your extraction will be relatively easy or difficult.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

The surgery itself wasn't so bad, the problem was recovering from my Gerber chicken cacciatore (for 9+ months of age) addiction!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

I had mine out when I was 23 and fresh in the Navy (we all had to have them removed). Minimal pain and quick recovery. Not bad at all.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/256.3/160

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by popspry View Post
What do you mean by adult? I had them out at 19 when and it was laughably easy (no swelling, etc). However, my roots hadn't really gone deep yet. My dad had his out in his early 40s and it was much more painful (because of the roots). It really depends. Your oral surgeon should be able to look at your x-rays and see if your extraction will be relatively easy or difficult.
I'm 28. Mine are fully erupted so it's supposed to be an easy process. No surgeon needed

My dentist has assured me it will be easy peasy. I just worry because I've never had a tooth pulled.

It seems like most have an easy time so that makes me feel better.
KatTheAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #8  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

I had four wisdom teeth removed when I was 18.

The surgery was not bad. I was awake.

The recovery sucked. I got dry socket in the bottom two, not fun at all.

Sorry, that's probably not the post you wanted to read.
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I had mine out around age 27 or so. The three that could be pulled were EASY recovery while the one last one with roots that had to be cut in half was tough!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #10  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

I had one removed last fall (age 27). It had to be cut in half because it was so huge and it was growing in sideways. Like completely horizontal. It wasn't that painful because of the lidocaine shot. I was completely awakefor it. The only problem was that I was still smoking at the time (and I just could NOT quit) and I gave myself dry socket. OMG, that was painful! The dry socket was worse than the extraction. Seriously, don't mess around with dry socket. Don't smoke, don't drink from a straw, and don't whistle. But if you do get dry socket, use cotton soaked in clove oil for the pain. It tastes terrible, but it really does work.
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I had all 4 of mine pulled as an adult, not at the same time.Some pain after the novacain wears off and maybe for the next day, but not terrible. When you get home from the dentist put on ice bag on your cheek that will help in the swelling and bruising. If you don't have an ice bag a bag of frozen peas works just as well.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #12  

I had all four pulled. No surgery needed. I have the best dentist in the world. Got the shot. I could feel a bit of pressure, and a bit of tugging, but no pain. I was scared for no reason. If I had to go again, I know it isn't painful and I can deal with it. A bit of a swollen face for a day or two. Took advil a couple of times at home. You'll do fine! Once he pulled the teeth, I wasn't even sure if he did anything yet.
hatgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #13  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

I had all 4 pulled at 30 & for me it was easy breezy! I was put out & woke up in the next room wondering when they would take me in for the extraction! And it was already over & done with! ha ha ha. Then I looked in the mirror & other than my mouth was filled with cotton & I looked like a chipmunk storing nuts for the winter I had my sister drive me home. When I got home, I had a chocolate shake i remember & just had to gargle each day to prevent dry sockets, which I did! Don't worry, I felt nothing & remember nothing other than what I just shared. Truly a piece of cake.

Last edited by evilwomaniamshe; 11-17-2011 at 06:58 PM.
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/196/160

Height: 5'3"

All four of mine were impacted and I had to have them all surgically removed. I opted to have them all done at the same time and I was given an IV drip of valium and demerol while undergoing the extraction (good times! - not that I remember). My recovery was fine but I was extremely swollen and it looked like someone had put their boot on my face when they were removing my teeth. My mother said my breath smelled like an open grave (which is an awesome line that I used to this day). I was in a lot of pain but Tylenol 3s seemed to cut it. DON'T suck anything through a straw. Many things may not look good after being through a blender but they taste great!

My advice is cut yourself some slack - eat only soft things and avoid straws. If they offer you valium and demerol say yes.
Lucky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #15  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Gah, my teeth hurt reading all of the posts here and I still have all of them...
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote