Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/193.2/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Trying Yoga for the First Time!

I just picked up a Living Social coupon to try 5 yoga classes at a popular studio in Boston for 30 bucks!! Basically, you pay for 2 classes and get three free!

Anyways, I've never "officially" tried yoga in a class. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations? They offer a Vinyasa Basics class that I will probably try first, but I'd like to get a variety. Thanks for the input!
SweetPeach3388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

That is a terrific price!

I would go for any class that has the word "hatha" or "basic" in it. Vinyasa basic sounds good as well- it will likely teach you the fundamentals of sun salutations and vinyasas.

My big tip would be to focus on yourself and your own practice when you're in the studio. Yoga is very individual and is focused on building your own practice wherever your body and mind is. Don't worry about making the post "look" how it's supposed to- rather focus on the function of the pose.

For example, a basic forward fold (basically bending over to touch your toes) is supposed to both open the back of your legs (stretch your hamstrings) and bring space to your vertebrae. It doesn't matter if you can actually touch the floor or not- it matters if your body finds a place in the forward fold pose where it begins to open the back of your legs and lengthen your spine. For some people, reaching only to their knees delivers the full benefits of the pose. For others, they can touch the floor, but it requires them to curve their back in a way that defeats the purpose of the pose. Don't compromise the function of the pose to try to get a form that "looks" right.

Focus on your breathing, listen to your body, and have FUN! Yoga is really relaxing and wonderful. Let us know how your classes go!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I hope you love it as much as my wife does!

If she isn't teaching it at the studio or church in her spare time she is taking a class somewhere!

Have fun!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Have fun!! I love yoga. I agree about looking for a class for beginners, and get there a little early to let the teacher know this is your first time. Vinyasa classes move through the poses pretty quickly, which can be harder to follow for a beginner. Don't be afraid to modify the poses if you can't do the full expression, I still do that years later. And don't be afraid to take child's pose if you get exhausted.

Some studios will have workshops just for beginners, too, so you can go through the poses slowly and get alignment tips. There are always tons of Living Social & Groupon yoga deals around here (i'm in the Boston area too) so you'll probably be able to try out a few studios and styles before finding one you really click with.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #5  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

just remember- it's a practice, and not perfect!!

take each day as it comes!
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote