Old 11-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #1  
member member

S/C/G: 207/199/150

Height: 5'7''

Default vegetarian question

so for the month of november, i've been trying to eat vegetarian (it started as vegan but i couldn't say no to cheese for very long). it's no-meat november -- my alternative for no-shave november since female no-shave novembers tend to be underappreciated. ain't nuthin' wrong with hairy legs.

anyway, i've succeeded for the most part but i've also noticed i've been eating way more carbs, i guess in place of meat? like, where i could have meat + vegetable before, now i have like...vegetable + couscous. and holy crap, i love couscous. i suppose my question is what kinds of non-carby meals do you vegetarians/vegans eat? maybe it's because i'm a newb but i'm out of ideas!
alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4''

It's hard to be vegetarian and low-carb because even good sources of veggie protein tend to be high in carbs. Tofu is one of the lower carb protein options, along with nuts, and seeds. Also high protein vegetarian options are nowhere near the protein of meat.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/ticker/slim

Height: 5ft 6

Meat free protein sources: beans, lentils, chickpeas etc, quinoa, eggs, meat substitutes (in the UK its things like Quorn, textured vegetable protein), soya, nuts and seeds.... I'm sure you can make a meal out of these things.

Well done on the going veggie for a month!!
3CatsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #4  
Skinny cow in the making!

S/C/G: 193/149/126

Height: 5'4

I am vegan and find it hard to eat low carb sometimes. If you have meat free protein stuff like 3CatsMeow says, it is easier as long as you have your non-starchy veggies with it and don't replace meat with carby food (which is very easy to do!)

I eat quite high carb and still lose weight very fast as a vegan. It's weird.
Jadeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/see ticker/135

Height: 5'9.5

Hey! Good for you for going veggie! I decided last Sept that I'd try and be veggie for 6months and guess what? It's been over a year now and I'm still going strong Like popspry said, it is tough to do low carb when ur veggie...but it is def doable.

What a typical day looks like for me:

Breakfast:
1 cup greek yogurt w/ 1 cup of either blue/straw/raspberries (fresh or frozen) and 2 TBSP chopped walnuts---I add a packet of splenda to this
**I make my own greek yogurt, very simple and a bit cheaper too I think

Lunch:
2 cups of any kind of bean (lentil, kidney, mung, black eyed peas, chickpeas etc) **You can do so many things with beans, make them Indian style, Mexican, Chinese, Thai, Mediterranean...the list is endless

Snack:
15-20 almonds with 1-2 ounces of cheese

Dinner:
2 Veggie burgers wrapped in 4/5 lettuce leaves (each) with 1 TSP flavored sourcream (on each)
2 cups broccoli and garlic sauteed in olive oil

Notice how I haven't included brown rice, whole wheat bread/pita, quinoa, oatmeal etc.---I plan on slowly re-introducing those foods when I get to goal
cat eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Congrats on no-meat November!

I'm vegetarian and don't eat grains. I don't cut them out completely, but only eat a serving every few weeks.

My food is comprised at least 60% of vegetables. This is what a typical day looks like for me:

Breakfast: none, I do IF
Lunch: 1 bowl of roasted red pepper soup, 1 HUGE salad (as in, the size of a small mixing bowl), 1 apple, 2 roasted beets
Snack: 5 dried dates + 15 almonds
Dinner: 200 g marinated in tofu over a bed of roasted spinach, 1 piece dark chocolate.

Or:
Breakfast: none
Lunch: 1 chickpea burger with tahini sauce (no bun), 1 head of cauliflower pureed, chopped peppers + tomato in a bit of oil and salt and pepper, banana
Snack: 1 apple + 1 piece of chocolate
Dinner: handful of almonds, 1 serving lentil chili, roasted sweet potato fries

I think it's easy to reconfigure a vegetarian meal plan into a less carby one. Make vegetables front-and-center of your meal!

There are some of us following the Eat-to-Live plan which does just that. We used to be under Vegetarian Chicks but now are on a fresh new thread under General Diet Plans and Questions. Come check it out!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

I don't have much to add. I eat high carb, but I've done loads of research on it and it isn't a problem for me. I've been vegetarian (with vegan tendencies) for four months tomorrow. I've lost about ten pounds so far without trying. I just need to cut out soda and I'll be golden.

Congrats on no-meat November. It's something you should be proud about.
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/159/150

Height: 5'8

you can add protein if you make your own pasta. I make it one a week and keep it in portions in my freezer.
I use whole grain flour, ricotta and a few eggs (don't know if you've cut eggs from your diet?). after forming little gnocchi you just cook them or freeze them
and yes, as said above, unless you have a problem with eggs, eggs are great. if you don't eat eggs, just remove them from the recipe and you'll still get nice gnocchi
aleksandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Soup/stew can be your best friend.

Last edited by Munchy; 11-17-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote