40-Somethings - Peri menopause

View Full Version : Peri menopause

starbrite
11-13-2011, 05:47 AM
Hi
Anyone here going through the peri menopause? I seem to be suffering from some of the symptoms- night sweats, irritability, lack of libido, insomnia etc. I have also seen a few pounds creep on, that are not attributable to over eating. I'd love to hear from others about their experiences and would appreciate advice. I have not yet had this confirmed by the doctor but have an appointment .
Thanks

HikingChloe
11-13-2011, 09:54 AM
starbrite. Thank you for starting this thread and I hope others answer. I don't think I am there yet, but I am already starting to learn and think towards the start. Some of it is understanding how my body ages and the changes that come with it. In many regards I don't think we talk about this enough.

Thanks again.

HikingChloe
11-13-2011, 10:14 AM
By the way.

A dietary addition I have already started in prep for menopause (and really post menopause) is the addition of prunes.

I read a couple of articles about prunes reducing bone density loss post-menopause and the recommendation was you make them part of your diet prior so you are already conditioned to eat them. In my case I love prunes so it was no big deal to add them in. I don't eat up to the 10 a day they were recommending post-menopause but I am sure I easily could.

I am looking forward to the other comments, dietary or otherwise that come in. I think I am FINALLY starting to understand that over the aging cycle of our life we will have to periodically adjust and lower calorie intake. I am curious how much people had to do that to keep from the weight creeping up.

BodaciousQuest
11-13-2011, 04:21 PM
I am there. I have been on hormone replacement therapy since I was 27. I've tried several times to reduce the dosage and quit completely but all the symptoms you mentioned come screaming back up. It took me over six months to cut my dosage in half this year. I still have the symptoms from time to time, but it has settled down some. My goal is to let my body adjust to this dosage for the next few months then cut it in half again.

I started taking evening primrose to help some of the symptoms. Black cohash is also often recommended, but I don't know much about it.

Wishing you both lots of luck with it!

kirsteng
11-14-2011, 07:50 PM
I am waiting for something to start - so far nothing (I'm 43). My sister missed her first period a year ago, and she's a year older than me. She's suffered with the insomnia for years now, and has also experienced weight gain in the past couple of years. That's part of what got me started on my journey (sept 2011)... I want to be in the best possible shape when I do hit perimenopause.

I've also read that adding soy to your diet can be quite beneficial... also the evening primrose.

GL and I hope that something alleviates your symptoms!

starbrite
11-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the responses - I'd forgotten about evening primrose oil - I will give it a try!

chicklett
11-30-2011, 12:47 AM
this might sound silly, but im not sure if im starting to go thru it or not... my periods aren't as punctual as they were, so maybe i am. :shrug:

i love Dr. Oz and he says that women between the ages of 19 and 50 need 18 mg of iron a day (if you aren't pregnant or nursing) and 8 mg after age 51. we also need 1,000 mg per day of calcium up to age 50 and 1,200 mg after that and a lot of lean protein. he mentioned that a healthy diet for women over 40 is crucial. so that is something to think about... :yes:

hlaoroo
12-06-2011, 02:56 AM
I have been peri menopausel for about 2 years now. It started before I was 40 and I am told can last up to 10 years. I do have hot flashes from time to time but the worst of it is the irregular periods. I have ridiculously heavy periods that last anywhere from two weeks out of the month to up to 4 months at a stretch. I am not a candidate for hormone therapy so essentially I don't have many options. I do find that when I cut out fast/junk food entirely that it seems to alleviate the symptoms so it is my hope to do that again and that it was not just coincidence in the past.

ckatgo
12-26-2011, 08:03 AM
I was happy to find this thread. I too have been peri-menopause for a while now, since my late 30's, I had to go on antidepressants to control the emotional roller coaster every month, and that in turn help regulate my periods.

What a crazy life, huh?

Bilbi
01-05-2012, 09:56 PM
I think I'm there too. Insomnia is the worst. I also have the occasional night sweats. Not too many, but not fun at all. Also mood swings, and I find it very hard to lose weight but very easy to gain it :(

kaplods
01-05-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm 45 and starting to have a lot of hormonal changes. I'm not sure what's going on, as I'm on birth control and I always thought that masked menopausal symptoms. I'll ask my doctor at my next appointment.

I'm having night sweats and hot flashes/ histamine reactions. I'll wake up feeling like my skin is on fire and itching like a severe allergic reaction (but I'm also on niacin, so that may be the trigger), my sex drive hasn't decreased, in fact I'd say it's increased, but it will turn on and off at inopportune times (confusing poor hubby terribly). And I've had missed periods, and also have had frequent spotting. And the birth control isn't doing as good a job as it used to in controling PMS/PMDD symptoms of heavy bleeding, severe cramps, outrageous hunger and mood swings...

I'm not sure what if anything can be done medically, because hormone replacement is usually lower levels of hormone than are in birth control pills, so changing bc may be an option (but may not be a financial option, as I'm stuck with whatever medicare covers).

Zemelle
01-14-2012, 02:42 AM
I am 45 and apparently, my body decided enough is enough. I was very unhappy, it just screams old age to me. I have to wonder if my former anxiety was related to perimenopause, interesting. I have no libido either. I tried some progesterone cream and ended up having a period in Nov after not having one since Apr. And I hear that soy is bad for you, no wait, it's good for you, no, really, it's bad.

Zumbachica
01-14-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm turning 45 in a month (gasp!)....Although my periods are regular I have night sweats the week before my period is due..and of course the weight gain and dead metabolism. It's just so sad. As far as soy goes it makes me nervous ...women who have had breast cancer can't have soy, so I don't want it either....it effects estrogen. It also makes me feel very bloated. I guess I just have to accept growing old and try and do it gracefully.

starbrite
01-15-2012, 05:38 AM
I had mt blood work checked and my Doc says I'm not peri-menopausal, but I disagree :)
Just have to keep getting older disgracefully and cope with the night sweats- this bothers me a great deal.

Moondance
01-16-2012, 02:00 PM
My Dr. said peri is when your period becomes irregular (skipping). Menopause is the absence of your period for 1 year. I didn't ask, but should have...is there peri-peri menopause? I too have night sweats, insomnia, mood swings. Just the last couple of months things aren't as regular as they've been for the last 29 years. Oh joy!

berryblondeboys
01-16-2012, 02:41 PM
I though I was in perrimenopause and discovered it was actually my thyroid out of whack. Now I sleep better. I have no hot flashes and night sweats. While I hate dealing with my period, I'm also glad that it's not ending yet. I'm 42 and my mom stopped having periods the year she turned 42. For the last year, the only time she had her period was when my sister and I were home from college (funny how hormones affect other people). I want to hold off any osteoporosis risks for as long as possible and early menopause is a risk for health problems later.

northernfawn
01-16-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm 48 and started peri-pause a couple of years ago, blood tests showed that although my estrogen was decreasing, I had almost no progesterone, therefore estrogen dominant. I started to see a naturopath and she helped immensely with supplements geared to my needs. the first thing I was told by her was to stop using soy milk or other soy products: 1 because I was estrogen dominant, and 2 because the estrogen from soy is the wrong type to help with menopausal symptoms.

Since then I've had other issues with cysts in the uterus and have had a mirena iud inserted. This is a T-type device that slowly releases progesterone over the course of 5 years (into the uterus only). It stops the periods completely and has also stopped the night sweats and hot flashes - it's amazing and I know of several women who are on their 2nd mirena to get them through to the menopausal years.

Beach Patrol
01-18-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm 48 and now in menopause (month 7 with no period). I started peri-menopause (or as I like to refer to it "pre-pause") when I was 42. Night sweats, hot flashes, mood swings out the wahzoo... some months I'd have a real light period, some months very heavy, some months not at all...

Here's what helped me the most!!
http://www.womentowomen.com/

At the very least... just hop around the site, read! Read! Read! - LOTS of information there!!

It's NOT a gimmick. I tried their Herbal Equilibrium pills and I swear it worked for me. No more hot flashes (or at least, very mild ones & way less of them!) and night sweats? - zippo! It took about 3 months for it to kick in, tho - and that's just "my personal experience".

I did go off them for a while about a year ago. But after about 6 or so months, I was fed-up with my whack-hormones & went right back on them! - And I still take them now.

I swear, I can't say enough good about it. But hey, see for yourself. It may or may not work for you. But I'd at least give it a try!

Good luck!

Anya
01-23-2012, 01:59 PM
I have been on hormone replacement therapy since I was 27....Black cohash is also often recommended, but I don't know much about it.

Black cohash is an estrogenic moderator. That is, if you are very low in estrogen, BC acts somewhat estrogenic. If you aren't very low, BC gets in the way of real estrogen, so it's anti-estrogenic. Mixing it with hormone replacement is probably counter-productive.

hbr777
01-30-2012, 11:14 AM
I'd get your thyroid checked and ask them to run baseline sex hormones. If you are in perimenopause, the tests will show it. If not, you at least have a baseline on the tests for when you really do hit menopause.

cldwv
02-06-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm in this club! I had a hysterectomy less than a year ago so mine is surgically-induced. I had been peri-for years leading up to the surgery.

kandyrews
02-06-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm 46 and sometimes I think I've started perimenopause because of night sweats, mood swings, and of course weight gain around the middle, but then my periods are still pretty normal, but I'm also taking the birth control pill, so that keeps them pretty normal. My sister and mother I think both went through menopause around their early 50's and perimenopause late 40's, so I figure it's any time now.

LauraK
02-15-2012, 08:27 PM
I had mt blood work checked and my Doc says I'm not peri-menopausal, but I disagree :)
Just have to keep getting older disgracefully and cope with the night sweats- this bothers me a great deal.

I can relate! For the past 3 years, my cycle has gone from 28 days to 21-23 days. I also skip an entire month once a year which is weird. The moodiness has increased, I have hot flashes, definite weight gain around the middle and sometimes insomnia.

My endocrinologist told me my hormone levels are fine, so I'm not peri menopausal, but I just don't buy it.

I have problems with doctors diagnosing strictly based on a test result and discounting what I'm actually feeling. I also have Hashimotos hypothyroidism and have to fight to get properly medicated for that.

I appreciate the tips here on natural remedies and will try some. :)

Thanks!

auntnelly
02-16-2012, 11:26 AM
I have been looking around for a forum with help with weight gain and hormonal issues, which I expect I have but I am not having the "normal" symptoms I don't think.

I am 49, and started to have irregular cycles 2 or so years ago. I do not have night sweats, or any "normal" symptoms of peri-menopause. If I call my Dr, they just say "oh, you are in per-imenopause, don't worry about it.

Is being tested for hormonal balance a normal thing for them to do? not one Dr has offered to test for that. Is it because my symptoms are not severe enough or something? I didn't even know I SHOULD be tested...

confused here, and can't loose a pound in a month. My weight loss/gain is totally linked to my cycle. I had hoped this last time it was different, but when I skip a month, I gain, if I have a period, I loose just a few pounds. I am always disappointed because when I skip, the pounds return.

Anyone have any success breaking this cycle?

kittyfan
02-16-2012, 05:38 PM
I am 47 and have also started menopause. I do not have a period every month, but always have PMS every twenty eight days....go figure. I started Wellbutrin for the mood swings a couple of months ago, the good thing about it that it has cured my "emotional eating", I no longer have the urge to eat when stressed. The hot flashes are horrible, I walk outside to cool off several times a day. I have found sleeping with a ceiling fan on low in my bedroom helps, also black cohash really helps me sleep.

Zemelle
02-22-2012, 11:51 AM
I too seem to have PMS still, atleast that is what I blame the chocolate cravings on!

Espressowhip
02-24-2012, 02:13 PM
I bled, heavily, for 44 days straight, which only happened once. And have missed my period twice in the past year. I noticed that my usual irritability for PMS starts sooner and ends later. I have night sweats more often than not.

Just a few months ago they took blood to check - not peri...riiiight....

I really don't think the test is very accurate, for what my opinion is worth in that regard.

I had forgotten about Evening Primrose, I'll give it a try. I'd love to not have night sweats, but as I've read here, it could be worse. The only thing that has outright pissed me off, is the thinning hair and "urinary dysfunction".

I would add, however, diet is very important. When I first started paying attention to macro nutrients, I learned I was eating less than 25% of the RDA protein. Since I increased my protein, I have tons of energy to exercise and work and workout!