Support Groups - Steel Magnolias #51

View Full Version : Steel Magnolias #51

QuilterInVA
11-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Good morning, ladies! 55 degrees and dense fog this morning

Today is a work day and then I'm going to go home and put my feet up and quilt. I love Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice so it will be a good evening.

Here's the link to an interesting article I got in a newsletter this morning:

http://www.ivillage.com/15-food-swaps-could-save-your-life/4-b-396477?nlcid=ht|11-10-2011|

Faye, that new hat is beautiful. I like it better than the other one. Your remodeling plans sound like a real undertaking! It's nice to get you house exactly as you want it. Thanks for the recipe. I'll be making it on Saturday.

Jean, I wish you could record the bells and give us the file. I'll bet it is beautiful. Anyone can buy the FitBit. It's $99 on their website. I was just lucky to be given it as part of this research study.

Maggie, I know you are happy to have your glass order come in so you can get on with your work.

Have a great day, I need to get to work!

Jean
11-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Good Morning, Flowers! It's a cold, sunny, windy morning in my neighborhood. I've been to the grocery store for casserole and bar ingredients to make for Amanda's family. I'm hoping we can deliver the food later today since the kids will all be coming home tomorrow. Tomorrow they are dedicating the veterans' memorial at the same time as the teacher's visitation. Bob wants to see the memorial since his name is on it; we were surprised in that the one here is so much smaller than the one in his home town and my home town. :dunno:

"Gma" -- I have to chuckle at Jack playing solitaire while he eats breakfast . . . just like a kid. ;) I've heard that funerals run in 3s, so I've had more than my quota this year. Your remodeling will be so nice when you are all finished! I don't envy you the mess though. Every once in awhile Bob will mention adding on again, and I just don't want to go through that decision making process again. :no: I must admit a bedroom and bath on the main floor would be nice. It's a good thing you posted "go to #51," because it was below #50 on the list.

Susan -- Thanks for sharing the link; I'll take a look later. :yes: We do record the church service and people can get the DVDs to watch if they can't come to church. The problem with this particular piece is that the bass part (me and 3 others) play off each other and if one of us gets lost, or miscounts, we will all be "off." I'm hoping everyone will be bright eyed and busy tailed Sunday morning! :crossed:

I need to get busy cooking! Have a terrific Thursday and enjoy! :D :wave:

gma22
11-11-2011, 05:51 AM
THANK YOU TO ALL OUR VETERANS TODAY!!!!

Good morning to you ladies. It is cool and crisp this morning but clear. I imagine all the nuts are out since it is a full moon or at least it looked like it.

I went to bed fairly early so am up before even the chickens this morning. I will probably fall asleep in the recliner for a bit after I get done with posting. I have 2 more patterns to do on my sweater and then the ribbing and the back will be done and I can start the front. I still have to finish my sister's sock and am determined to get it done this weekend sometime.

We are going to see "Jack and Jill" today then go to Chilis for dinner. They are giving veterans a free meal today if you go before 5 pm so we are going to go. I am going to Dotti's and make a decision of what to eat before we get there. they have a few things that will fit.

Tomorrow is commissary day so I have to work up a menu and grocery list. As of yesterday I was down another 5 lbs but we shall see what Monday brings. I don't think I will make my end of year goal, but I will be close and close is better than far away. It is certainly good to day to day say I am where I should be and doing what I should do. Giving up refined sugar is the best thing I have ever done and I don't miss it a bit. I get some little sugar free treats when I feel I want a piece of chocolate or something, but even then I don't sit and eat piece after piece. I keep trying to get Jack to try it but he is convinced the stuff has to be nasty and the fact is you really can't tell the difference IMO.

Jay sent me an email about a toy Jackson really wants for Christmas, but Nonny has already bought everything, though if no one had, I would have gotten it for him. Aunt Kelly and Uncle Tom and Thomas are getting it for him. It is this ship from Mattel that has a shark and stuff on it and can be played with on land or sea (you can take off the wheels and put it in the bathtub :lol:) The boys have to love Christmas when we are all together as they get a bunch of gifts around Thanksgiving then get another haul at Christmas! :lol: Jay made the restaurant reservation and we are going to have a nice later breakfast and late lunch as Kelly and Tom won't get in until around noon on Thanksgiving. They have to work all day on Wednesday. Since Kelly is still a contractor if she doesn't work, she doesn't get paid. Hopefully after the first of the year they will put her on as a permanent employee.

Jack is now down to 215 and has about 5 lbs to go and he will be at goal. He has lost a total of 47 lbs!!! :carrot::carrot: He is so funny. He eats cereal every morning and I asked him why doesn't he have one of my homemade biscuits for breakfast or a couple of my eggos and bacon. He said, I can't when you add in the syrup and the hash browns and the sausage......First off, he only eats Mrs. Butterworths which is loaded with calories and insists on the hash browns, sausage and stuff with the biscuit so instead he just sticks with his cereal every morning. Me, I usually eat my nutragrain eggos, two strips of precooked bacon, skim milk hot chocolate make with quik sugar free and a serving of some kind of fruit. Fills me up. Eventually, I will have to cut back on breakfast because of pts, but I have so many now it is no problem.

Well girls, I need to go. I have had a stuffy nose all night and now it is just the opposite and my eyes are running as is my nose so the day begins! :lol: Have a good one today! Faye

Jean
11-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly, but it's a cold 34 with a "light" wind blowing according to the weatherman. I wonder when a breeze turns into a light wind. Jason called this morning and they will be staying here tonight and possibly tomorrow night. Other relatives are staying with Amanda's parents so there is no room at that inn. :lol: That means I need to clean out the spare bedroom and think about some sort of breakfast in the morning, before we all leave for the funeral. Amanda's mom had planned to have everyone home next weekend for their Thanksgiving and 3 grandchildren's birthdays, but will do it this weekend instead. I have my grocery list made and will do that after I finish here, before the Friday crazies hit the streets.

"Gma" -- The moon was so pretty last night as we drove home from Amanda's parents'. The lake was smooth as glass and the reflection on the water would have made a beautiful picture. Bob could have had a free breakfast this morning, but he opted for his usual oatmeal. Jack does so well sticking to his food plan. :cp: I've heard that once the sugar is gone from your diet, the weight is easier to lose. I can't say that I intentionally don't eat sugar, but I don't add it to anything either. Good luck at the commissary tomorrow!

I'm off to the grocery store! Have a FANTASTIC day and enjoy! :D :wave:

Maggie
11-11-2011, 01:42 PM
:wave: GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS :comp:

It is 50 and sunny here this day in the Heartland. 11-11-11 and Veterans day. Thank You Veterans. Our dinner and program to honor the Veterans went very well last night. We heard from a young Marine that works with the Wounded Warrior program now. He had quite a story to tell and there was a huge collection taken up for the Wounded Warriors that he will take with him. That is a wonderful outfit. There were a couple of hundred people there and we had a good time. Will and I were asked to stand when he thanked us for the work we have been doing. I just said, "It was my pleasure." There was a lady wearing a beautiful necklas made of toruquise with carved wooden animals and puka shells. It was quite a lovely piece and I commented on it. She promptly took it off and gave it to me. She said that was just the second time she had worn it and it looked much better on me with the blouse I was wearing. I saw her later after the dinner and offered it back to her and she would have none of it. Said she wanted me to have it. I was NOT asking for it when I was giving her a compliment about it. While I was wearing it I got several compliments on it last night. Well Cecil has discovered "outback" and goes out there with the dogs. Yesterday I tried to coax him in and he just went over by the neighbors fence and layed down on the grass and looked at me. Ragg Mopp came in and I told Beanie to stay outside with Cecil. He stayed out there with him then later I went to the back door and they were both sitting on the back step. They came in. He goes out with them and when they come back in sometimes he stays out there. He can't just yet work the doggie door but will figure it out eventually. I don't think he will get out of the yard but folks do like to steel cute little kittens especially this time of the year. He will stay in the yard with his dogs I do believe. The BBQ man is in town and guess what we will be having for a meal this day again.:D The tree critters just came thunering into my office/shop. The dogs for their "good boy" and the cat to eat and get a drink. Will has been out back working and they were all there with him.

DONNA FAYE :bravo: To Jack for his losses. He is doing great and realizes what he can eat and what to stay away from. It would be a red light food if he ate anything besides his cereal. Where you can eat a lighter breakfast and be satisfied. Different strokes for different folks. I love breakfast foods and could easily spend my whole days points on that one meal. So I have to be real careful on that particular meal. A boiled egg and some fruit do me good now. I have some Schwans pre cooked sausage links that are 2 points+ each and sometimes I micro zap one to go with my egg. That way my breakfast is still a low point one.

JEAN Isn't it the way of it when there is a funeral folks gather and you get to visit with the living. Interesting how different folks are affected by funerals. Depends, of course I guess, on who passed and what realation you had to them. Will once all in one day had a baptism a wedding and then a funeral. That was a bit much all in one day I remember.

SUSAN Thanks for the heads up on that web site. Looks interesting and I will spend some time there.:D I cut out a 3 story building yesterday which is white with a blue roof. It has a rounded tower like thingie in front that is 4 sided with windows all up and down. I put a little wire fenching around the upper floor balcony. It is a beautiful piece when done for I have made several and they have always sold. I want this one for the village I am making for us. :p

Well Magnolias have a lovely afternoon. I am off to do some glass grinding. :wave: Type at y'all later.

UPDATE Will just came in and announced that El Gatto can now open the doggie door.

Jean
11-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Maggie -- I'm glad your dinner was a success last night. A new necklace . . . lucky you! I hope Cecil doesn't figure out how to climb the fence and escape. :no: I wish I could see him open the pet door. :lol: He will keep you on your toes!

I need to do some ironing for the funeral tomorrow. Jason and crew should be rolling in soon also. See you all tomorrow . . . sometime. :wave:

gma22
11-12-2011, 04:44 AM
Good morning to you all. It is another early one for me I am afraid. This seems to be coming a pattern. I do get about 6 hours before I wake up having to go to the bathroom or Fortune does and I have to come down and let him out then don't feel like messing with him again so I just stay downstairs. I imagine I will go nap in the recliner after I get done here.

We did have a nice lunch at Chilis, I had their soup half sandwich deal and the soup was icky but the sandwich was good. We never went to the movies opted to pick up the last HP movie instead and came home and watched it later eating dinner. I was having severe cramping and stuff so didn't feel much like sitting in a theater. We will go this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon I think.

This one medication I am on causing ringing in the ears and sometimes it drives me cuckoo. This morning it seems to be particularly pronounced maybe because it is so quiet in the house except for Fortune snoring. It has been so noisy around here the last few days. I don't know what people are doing in their condos but a lot of banging and bumping and stuff and of course the kids are all yelling and carrying on going to the buses in the morning.

Jean: Hope you enjoy the time with the kids at your house. If I had known earlier, I would have sent you a breakfast casserole dish that is easy to put together and can be stored in the fridge and then just stuck in the oven the next morning. I would have to dig it up from my collection, but I am pretty sure I still have it. It has eggs, frozen hashbrowns, sausage, etc in layers then cheese on top. It is pretty darn good the few times I have had it. Got the recipe from my sister several years ago. It was nuts, nuts at Walmart yesterday. I had to go and get hair color, a couple gift bags to put the boys hats and mittens and Christmas candy in, the HP movie, some of their ham salad, which actually wasn't out of date, :lol: some hand sanitizer and some nuts Jack likes to take on our trip and the commissary doesn't have. There were people everywhere and we hit it lucky walking past a check out just as the lady was finishing up.

Maggie: I imagine the necklace is lovely and a lovely thing for the woman to do. Hopefully little Cecil will be have himself and not get into trouble like his namesake always did. :lol:

You all have a fun Saturday. Since it is commissary day, ours will probably be crazy. We have to buy the extra soft drinks and stuff to take on the trip so it will be lots of stuff to drag in and put away. Faye

Maggie
11-12-2011, 01:28 PM

It is a chilly day of 45 degrees here in the Heartland with a few clouds on a beautiful blue sky. Our friends car needs some work done on it so Will has taken him to another friends house who has multibule autos to borrow one so he can get home today. He really needs to go home today for where his wife works they are giving his wife a baby shower and it is one where men are also invited and he must be there. Our friend has a van, pick up and 3 cars and there is just the two of them now that the children are all gone and in collage or married with children. They live out in the country and just love it when someone wants to borrow one of their vehicles. Real nice folks that like to "help out." Every body needs freinds like that. We are going to his birthday party tonight which is being held at a local restaurant. It is a family affair but they consider us family so we are invited to all their do's. Will took both dogs so there is just Cecil here in the house with me. Back door is closed so Cecil can't go out back. Independent little guy loves to go out the louvered doggie door. :p He has started sleeping on the comforter that we fold down onto a low table at the foot of the bed. But before the night is over he is in the crook of my bent knees on the bed where he spends the rest of the night. He gets to go to the vet Monday for a follow up shot and both dogs get a haircut and bath at the groomer. Yeah for Monday. We have a couple of trees growing in large pots in the front room. The one that sits on the floor has become a playground for Cecil. There is that dried moss around the trunk on the top of the pot. Lots of it ends up on the floor every day and then gets vacuumed up and then he puts more out. We are going to put rocks in the pot. Yep, lets see if he chucks the rocks out of the pot. Most things he doesn't bother but he just loves that dried moss for some reason and thinks it is there for him to frolick in.

DONNA FAYE Isn't there a med that would do the job that doesn't cause ringing in your ears? Yikes that must be miserable. Something to talk to your doc about. Looks like your sleep pattern has settled into a routine. It is good that you are able to grab a nap in the daytime.

JEAN Yep that necklace is a real nice piece and I hung it on a hook where it looks lovely. I imagine it was quite spendy when it was first purchased. I had seen similar pieces in catalogs and they had a hefty price tag. The doggie door is louvered and opens quite easily in fact. Cecil just pushes the bottom slat and only the bottom one opens out. Before he ever went out on his own he would sit and look out since the door slats are clear plastic. Then he would follow Beanie real close and out he would go. Then one day he tried it on his own and voilla ~ he was out. There is a piece of plastic that can be slid down over the slats so they can't be used to exit but then it would keep the dogs in also and defeit the purpose.:p

Time to go rustle up something to eat. :wave: Type at y'all later.

Jean
11-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a cloudy, gloomy, breezy day in my neighborhood. The temperature is 51 and "it feels like 51," which I don't understand if there is a 13 mph wind. Hmmmm! :p We just got home from the funeral lunch and I've got a load of towels in the washer. The kids slept on blow up camping mattresses so have them deflating; need to put the pillows and blankets away. I have zilch ambition to do anything after being gone this morning. I've been up since 5:30, mainly to get my shower first and then get the breakfast dish in the oven. I'm thinking a nap sounds good!

"Gma" -- My egg dish is just eggs, sausage or ham, bread, cheese, and milk. It's an easy one to do the night before, but if you find your recipe send it to me please. Our WM is ALWAYS nuts! There are never enough checkouts open and they try to steer people to the self-serve which I refuse to do. :tantrum: Will the ringing in your ears go away eventually? That has got to be very frustrating. I hope your commissary run was fast and easy.

Maggie -- Good luck with the rocks in your tree pot. Cecil will probably think it is a game to get them out and scattered around for you to pick up. :lol: I wonder if he thinks he is a dog since he can now work the doggie door.

I need to change clothes and maybe read the paper. I took a quick look this morning and see there is another funeral in Bob's hometown on Monday. We may go to the visitation tomorrow night; I've had my 3 deaths in a row so enough is enough! Enjoy the rest of your day! :D :wave:

Maggie
11-12-2011, 04:18 PM
I have several breakfast casserole recipes but this is our favorite out of an old WW magazine. I also add 1½ cups (4 ounces) sliced fresh mushrooms when I make it.

MAKE-AHEAD BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
¾ pound lean ground pork
¾ tsp Italian seasoning
¼ tsp fennel seeds, crushed
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 C skim milk
1 oz. cheddar shredded (¼C)
¾ tsp dry mustard
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground red pepper
3 green onions, chopped
2 (8 oz.) cartons egg substitute
6 (1 oz) slices white bread, cut in ½ inch cubes
Cooking spray
Thyme sprigs (optional)
1. Cook ground pork, Italian seasoning, fennel seeds,
and minced garlic in a large nonstick skillet over
medium heat until pork is lightly browned, stirring to
crumble.
Drain & set aside.
2. Combine milk & next 6 ingredients in a large bowl;
stir with a whisk until blended.
3. Add pork mixture and bread cubes, stirring until
blended. Pour into an 11 x7 inch baking dish coated
with cooking spray.
4. Cover and chill 8 to 12 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 350º
6. Bake, uncovered, at 350º for 50 minutes or until set
& lightly browned.
7. Garnish with thyme, if desired,
Yield 6 servings
6 Points Plus per serving.
Cal 258; Pro 24.2; Carb 18.8; Fat 8.8; Fib 0.8

gma22
11-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Good morning gals. It is 70 degrees here this morning and just beautiful. It is supposed to be near 75 so I get to wear capris today again if I want. We are going to go see the movie today since we didn't go the other day. I have been having so much female trouble now I am about to the point of telling them just to yank everything out and I have been adament about not doing it if nothing was wrong with my organs. I just cannot stand much more of this. I have 3 1/2 weeks until my regular dr appt and I am going to impress upon her I need an authorization to make an appt for a consult with the new gyn so I can get this done the first of the year. I am tired of being in pain and dealing with issues that seem to be getting more and more frequent now.

The commissary was an absolute zoo yesterday and we don't even know why. We got there at 9:05 and they open at 9 and there were people everywhere. Luckily, the line to checkout hadn't gotten bad yet, but get through the aisles was nuts. At least we are now done until after we come back from Thanksgiving. I am all ready now with the gifts being done and will start organizing to pack and such next week. Lots of lists as usual since I have to stop mail, take the dog to the groomer, get my nails done and a haircut and color it, etc, etc.

Jean: Here is a great casserole and probably a lot like the ones you make except these have hash browns too. Where I grew up is just about 40 miles from a very large Amish community. They have a lot of influence over food in our area, that and the ethnic Polish and Hungarians and Italians that live in South Bend. The ringing in my ears isn't constant, but it can be quite irritating when it does occur. I try to just ignore it, but usually happens when the house is quiet at night. :lol:

AMISH BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

Ingredients
1 pound sausage crumbled or 1 lb bacon chopped and cooked or half and half if you prefer
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
6 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions
1. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion until bacon is crisp; drain. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir in sausage/bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
2. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until set and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

Maggie: My meds all work perfectly together now, so I am not rocking the boat. :lol: Like I told Jean it isn't all the time and it is a small price to pay for the meds to work for me. It has taken a long time to get the right combo of stuff.

Well girls, I need to get out of here. I got house chores done, but have some laundry to get folded and a shower to take and get dressed and such. Have a lovely Sunday all. Faye

Jean
11-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Good Morning, Flowers! It's gloomy, chilly, and just started raining which we need badly. The bells made it through the piece in fine fashion according to some of the comments after church. I've read the papers and am thinking a catnap might happen. We are leaving for Sioux City in an hour; Bob needs some white v-neck t-shirts, I want to check on my clock he took in to be fixed last Sunday, and then we will go to the funeral visitation.

"Gma" -- I hope your doctor can give you some worthwhile advice, solution, or plan of action. :yes: Thanks for sharing the recipe. It looks simple enough even I can make it. ;)

Maggie -- Thanks for sharing your recipe too! :) I've never used fennel seeds for anything -- I assume it is a tsp. amount. What do they taste like?

I guess I will put in a load of clothes in the washer before we leave. Enjoy your day whatever you are doing. :D :wave:

Maggie
11-13-2011, 05:14 PM
:wave: GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS :comp:

It is a beautiful sunny 57 degree day here in the Heartland this day. We just got back from eating lunch then a bit of shopping at the Chinese outlet store. Main thing we went for was fruit, veggies and botled water and flavorings. We hardly ever drink sodas anymore and when we do have one it is a treat for sure. We had a few visitors this day at church ~ always get some from different states this time of the year during phesant seasion. Now deer season is opening up. The farmers around here are very freindly with the hunters because the deer do destroy some of the crops and we have lots of deer. Some of the farmers also rent out rooms for the hunters. A couple of hunters we talked to this day are renting a 3 bedroom house for just $100 a day and that is cheaper than the motels are going for. Plus when several hunters go in together it makes the rent a mere pitance for each of them. Yep, Kansas is a hunter frinedy state. We have met several hunters up from Florida. My lunch didn't sit to well with me and I just took some Alka Seltzer which will do the trick.

DONNA FAYE I am sorry that you are having so much female problems. Surprised really that your doc hasn't perscribed what will help you by now since your problems have been going on for some time now.:hug: Guess those folks at the Commissary were getting ready for turkey day. We have decided on a couple of breasts to smoke.

JEAN I did go in and correct that recipe ~ thanks for pointing out the omission. Fennel seeds have a slightly minty taste. It is real easy to make and a crowd pleaser. I have made that for :tree: Christmas breakfast several times. Actually a brunch when we have eaten dinner late in the day. I have even baked it in a six muffin pan since it serves 6. Looks great on the plate with a fruit medley and toast triangles. It is a much lower point recipe than others I have.

Have a wonderful afternoon. :wave: Type at y'all later.

QuilterInVA
11-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Good evening, ladies. 61 degrees right now and another nice day in the 80s tomorrow. My pansies are doing well.

Friday I had day quild guild and agreed to take on the job of membership chairman for the guild (both day and night). I said never again but they couldn't find anyone else that would take it on. Yesterday I had tea with Glory and Norah (who gives the teas) had made Cornish pasties the day before for her family and she brought us some to take home for dinner. They were quite good. Today I went to Sandy's house with another friend and we had a nice afternoon quilting and sewing. Tomorrow is Applique from 10-4 and then Bible study in the evening.

Faye, was the commissary closed for veterans day? Sandy had a holiday since she works at Fort Eustis and everything there was closed. I wouldn't have put up with your female issues this long. You've been very good about doing what they asked but its time to get it over with!

Jean, I knew the bells would be fine today - even if it was complicated.

Maggie, Cecil will probably use the rocks to practice his weight lifting! He sure makes me want to get a new cat.

Have a great evening!

Jean
11-13-2011, 11:19 PM
Maggie -- Our pheasant population is way down for some reason. Bob hasn't done any hunting since Vietnam, but there are a lot of hunters from around here, so he hears the reports on their adventures. I hope the Alka Seltzer settled your stomach. :yes: I'd like to do a brunch for Christmas this year although I think I would miss some of the the traditional foods we only have at holiday time. What all did you serve for a brunch?

Susan -- It's hard to imagine you are having 80 degree weather and your pansies are thriving. It was a "warm" 40 when I got up this morning, which is way warmer than usual for us this time of year. I can't help but think we are going to get lam blasted big time, with winter weather, one of these days. :eek: You had a fun quilting weekend! I hope being membership chairman will work out to be ok for you; do you have to recruit or just get members to pay each year? I've never had that job in any organization.

It's almost bedtime and I am tired tonight. Ernie and I did have a catnap earlier. I feel like I've spent the last 3 days in the car coming and going for funerals; well, I guess I have. :yawn: See you all tomorrow.

Maggie
11-14-2011, 01:44 AM
:wave: BACK FOR A YACK :comp:

JEAN We serve that recipe I posted above and some coffee and fruit to go with it for a brunch. In fact I have a batch of it in the fridge right now and we will have it tomorrow and freeze some for later.:p We will have a re-run of it for a Christmas brunch.

gma22
11-14-2011, 07:25 AM
Good morning to you all! It is cool, but still mild here this morning. I got very hot last night and even turned the ac on. The fan is going down here at the moment.

Man, I got bit by something overnight, probably a spider and it is driving me nuts. It is under my ring finger of all places and it has swelled a bit so I can't get my ring over my knuckle even using lotion so now I am going to have to put ice on it I guess as it is all puffed up. The ring still moves easily where it sits so it isn't cutting off circulation, but above it where the bite is too swollen to get the ring off for now.

We went to the movie yesterday and it was funny but I think Jack enjoyed it more than I did. Typical Adam Sandler, lots of "bathroom" type humor and stuff. The theater was mostly empty but I noticed it was the men and children doing all the heavy laughing not the women. I know why the concessions are so expensive, they have to get their money back for no shows at the movies. I bet there weren't 20 people in the theater. I am fed up paying for exhoribitant drink prices and such though so since I have a voluminous bag, I take us each a canned soda and a snack so until they start checking our bags, which I imagine in other cities they probably do, I will continue to provide our own whether they allow it or not. You can get senior ticket prices but no break on the concessions and a hot dog alone is $4. I have no idea about popcorn as I rarely eat it and then only at home.

Jean: A lot of sausage products have fennel in it so if you have ever had sausage where you found a piece of seed in it, that's fennel. I don't care for it myself, but then I don't like a lot of stronger spices and stuff like tarragon, cilantro, pine nuts, etc. Too, "earthy" tasting to me. Tarragon always reminds me of chewing on a pine tree. :lol: I knew your great bell skills would make everything sound terrific.

Maggie: Cecil at least holds his own with the dogs and that is good. He is going to be a character and a slippery one at that I think.

Susan: We are having mild temps here too, but the leaves are coming down and since it has been windy they are blowing all over the place. Jack looked up as we came in yesterday afternoon and I asked him what he was looking at and he said he was looking to see how many leaves were left on the trees as we need to do a leaf blow out again. I know, I am fed up with the female stuff. I really didn't want to have major surgery again, but I also think it is time to do something anything to make this stuff stop. I want to get this over with the very first part of next year as soon as Jack gets his new vacation days again and be done with it no matter what they feel needs to be done.

Today is tackle the upstairs day so I am going to get started early I think. Today was weigh day and I am down another 2 lbs :carrot: You all have a great beginning to your week. Faye

Maggie
11-14-2011, 01:20 PM

It is 48 degrees here this day so far and expected to go up to a whopping 60 this day here in the Heartland according to the Weather Bug. AH the heater just cycled on. Will has gone taking the dogs to the groomer and they will come home smelling good for just a bit, but lovely while it lasts. :p They love going to the groomer. Cecil is snoozing in Will's office chair. Half this month is already gone then comes December which will scoot by fast. When Will returns I will pop that sausage egg mix that is in the fridge into the oven and we will have it with a fruit salad I made of orange, apple, grapes and banana. I will be grinding glass this afternoon. I have the house cut out and it is a lot of pieces. Most pieces of any house I have built. Little pieces too. Not much else going on here this day. I have my menu made up for Thanksgiving dinner and need to round up the recipes and make a shopping list. That I will do before I start with my glass since it is on my mind. ;)

DONNA FAYE:congrat: another 2 gone forever. You are doing great. It is good that your ring is still loose enough not to cut off your circulation. I haven't seen any spiders around here this year. Not even a daddy long legs. I have a cute one of those with silver wire legs and crystal body. I also have one made of peuter with a crystal body. They reside on the bulletin board I have in the kitchen. My remote controlled terrantula lives on a shelf here in my office above my desk. I know I am wierd ~ you don't have to say it. :D Cecil is so independant and loves to go outside that we are toying with the thought of not having his front paws de-clawed. So far he has been keeping those claws in pretty much. We shall see if he starts shredding the furniture then off they will come.

JEAN, SUSAN & GAIL Hope you all are having a great day. :wave:

Type at y'all later ~ off to get a start on that list. :wave:

Jean
11-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining and it's a beautiful day in my neighborhood at 51 degrees. The sky is bright blue without a cloud in sight. It took me all morning to finish at church because we had extra money from the communion friendship fund, extra money from two different youth fund raisers, it was the automatic check payment Sunday, and a lady brought in ALL of the memorial checks from her husband's death a month ago plus the regular budget envelopes, Sunday School money, coffee money, and the loose offering from all 3 services. Needless to say, I didn't balance http://forums.delphiforums.com/dir-icon/0/2/crooked.icon the first time through and neither did the treasurer. I have to print out the final reports so didn't want to leave until I got it right. Then I stopped to pick up the gift shop money on my way home; the envelopes feel "fatter" than usual. The buyers were putting out Christmas items so I expect business to pick up even more.

"Gma" -- I'm sorry about the spider bite. Bob uses Windex to get his ring off if his finger swells from doing "work" outside. :congrat: on losing another 2#s! You are definitely sticking to your plan and it shows. We can get a "kid's combo" at the movie, but I'm not sure how much it is. It's a small pop, a package of M & Ms (what used to be the 5 cent size), and a good helping of popcorn all tucked into a cardboard dish of sorts. I think movie prices are ridiculous! That used to be our date night when we were going together; I don't know how kids could ever afford it now.

Maggie -- It's hard to believe the month is almost half finished. The days fly by that's for sure. :( Your lunch/brunch menu sounds delicious. I like mixed fruit but Bob isn't too fond of it. He'll pick through and eat his favorites leaving the rest. Have you shown your remote terrantula to Cecil?

I'm off to count gift shop money! Enjoy the rest of your day. http://forums.delphiforums.com/dir-icon/0/2/smile.icon :wave:

gma22
11-14-2011, 04:26 PM
I am goofing around for 15 minutes until I can put together my lasagna and get it in the oven in a half an hour or so and thought I would peek in here and see what everyone is doing today.

I have started me "lists!" :lol: I have one for errands and chores from Saturday through Tuesday as we leave Tuesday night and a list of clothing I want to take matching up pieces to wear. I have several things to do on Saturday including stopping the mail. I am waiting to see Swiss Colony how they are shipping my desserts. I have an account with them and Jack wanted to order a couple of their cheesecakes to take for Thanksgiving and so I did and they just shipped them so hopefully they will be here in the next couple days as I expedited them. I am picking up supplies to make Chocolate Marshmallow cookies and Crunch Time cookies for everyone buy myself. The chocolate ones are really for the boys mostly and the other ones I think the adults will like. Let me know if you want the recipes. The crunch time cookies have pecans, toffee brickle, chocolate chips and oatmeal in them along with cream cheese and a bunch of other stuff. I got the recipe from a book I read about a caterer. I imagine Susan, you have read some of her books, Diane Mott Davidson.

I did a survey for the Branson Tourism something or other about our trip and they sent me the coolest thing. It is called an "arch" card and it is a gift card for McDonalds that you can use and reload. It had $5 on it and I am going to put $5 more on it and get another $10 one and put it in the boys gift bags for Christmas. I already put candy it them and it has their hats and mittens wrapped up in them too. I think Jackson will have a gas having his own Mcdonalds "credit card" he can take up to the cashier and order and give her.

Jean: The windex thing reminded me of the Paul Sorvino character on "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" who used Windex for everything including putting it on a zit his dd had on her weddin day! :lol:

Well about time for me to assemble my stuff and put the lasagna together. I use the lasagna sheets that don't have to be precooked and only use 4 so it makes two servings just perfect for dinner.

Have a fun afternoon all. Faye

Jean
11-14-2011, 11:24 PM
"Gma" -- I would like your recipes please! I hope you don't lose your lists. ;) That is my usual trick it seems. Lasagna . . . :T . . . . my favorite!

gma22
11-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Here you go Jean!!! the crunch time cookies are from someone who professionally bakes so you don't have to use silicone baking sheets! lol I imagine sprayed cookie sheets will work just fine.

CHOCOLATE MARSHMALLOW COOKIES

-15 marshmallows (cut into thirds)
-2/3 Cup cocoa powder
-2 Cups flour
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 Cup sugar (plus 1/2 Cup sugar for rolling)
-1 Cup crisco
-1/2 Cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
-2 unbeaten eggs
-1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Cut marshmallows into thirds (I use scissors), and place in freezer while preparing the cookie dough.
2. Measure and Sift together with a whisk the: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, cream together the: sugar, brown sugar and crisco.
4. Blend into the sugar bowl the 2 unbeaten eggs and vanilla. Beat together well.
5. Stir in the dry ingredients.
6. Roll the dough around each marshmallow third sealing it in a small ball.(This can get messy, so sometimes I wear those thin plastic throw away gloves.)
7. Roll each ball in sugar.
8. Place on a cookie sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart.
9. Bake at 400 for 4 1/2 to 5 minutes, then set out to cool.
That’s it! They bake for such a short time, and it’s better to under cook than over cook them. They freeze really well too. They are a good mix of salty sweet.

CRUNCH TIME COOKIES- DIANE MOTT DAVIDSON
1 cup pecan halves
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
¼ cup softened cream cheese
1 cup dark brown sugar
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2½ cups rolled oats
8 ounces (1½ cups) semisweet chocolate chips
4 ounces (2/3 cup) toffee bits (Heath toffee bits or “Bits o’ Brickle”)

Instructions
In a wide frying pan, sauté the pecans over low heat, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, or until the nuts begin to change color, and emit a nutty scent. Turn the nuts out onto paper towels and allow them to cool, then chop them roughly and set aside.

Sift or whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until the mixture is very creamy. Add the brown sugar and beat very well, until the mixture is creamy and uniform. Add the granulated sugar and again beat very well, until you have a uniform, creamy mixture. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.

Using a large wooden spoon, stir in the dry mixture just until combined. Then stir in the oats, chocolate chips, and toffee bits, blending only until thoroughly mixed.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator until completely chilled, three hours or overnight.

When you are ready to bake the cookies, take the bowl out of the refrigerator and allow the batter to warm slightly while the oven is preheating.

Preheat the oven to 375°. Place silicone mats on two cookie sheets.

Measure the batter out by tablespoonfuls, two inches apart. Place no more than a dozen cookies on each sheet. Bake, one sheet at a time, for 9–11 minutes, until the edges of the cookies are very brown and the centers are no longer soft.

When you remove a cookie sheet from the oven, place it on a cooling rack for 2 minutes, so the cookies can set up. Then use a pancake flipper to remove the cookies to cooling racks, and allow to cool completely. Store in airtight containers or in zipped freezer bags. These cookies freeze well.

gma22
11-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Good morning, good morning, good morning!!! It is beautiful here, nice and balmy in the mid 60's. I have the fan running even because it is kind of stuffy in here. I don't think it cooled off much last night. It was 75 when I went to bed.

I am finishing up my sister's sock finally, I have the back of my horseshoe lace sweater almost complete and my niece is sending me some yarn to make her a hat. I taught her to knit and she has CP and sometimes she has a tough time with some of it, so she asked if I would do the hat since she has tried and can't do it. So, I told her I would. You know me! :lol: At least she is sending the yarn and I won't get stiffed for it like I have for other stuff people have asked me to do and I buy the yarn then they don't even pay me for it let alone for the project they said they would pay me to do. If it isn't too difficult a hat I probably can whip it out in a few hours so it isn't a big deal. I am stopping the mail on Saturday for Monday though so if it doesn't get here by Monday it won't be delivered until the following Monday and she wants it for Christmas so I told her I would try. :D Actually, I am sure it won't be a problem as the hat she showed me is a simple roll brim. I gave her some more options though that are more intricate so if she wants something a bit fancier I will make it for her. I included the pattern I used for my white hat because it would look really cute on her I think. She lives in the Chicago area though so that hat isn't exactly one to keep you warm. She is so cute. She just got her first job working at a department store. She is so excited.

I talked to my brother on the phone last night, this is his dd I am doing the hat for and he said he has lost 224 lbs since April (he had gastric bypass) He said he has no stamina, lost a lot of muscle and was in the hospital a week or so ago as his fluid level had bottomed out. He is a severe diabetic to boot. This is why I would never consider it unless it was no other choice. I am healthy for the most part and wouldn't do it. I think the risks far out weigh the benefit even though you lose weight. His quality of life in is the toilet now and he said he can't eat protein at all as it comes right back up. He is where he is supposed to be weight wise but continues to lose because he can't keep stuff down and the doctors basically say it should get better in time. Me, I am just going to keep plugging away eating properly and taking it off 1 lb at a time though it takes a lot longer. I told him he needs to exercising to get his strength back and build up his muscles, but I doubt he will do it. He is a serious couch potato.

I couldn't find another pair of the shoes I bought at the Walmart in Branson and I love, so I ordered black ones online and they are supposed to be here today. I know they looked different so I am hoping they are the same shoe. They are danskin brand and mule style so hopefully they will be the same. These are so comfortable and great to walk in too. The are clog style, but they have sort of a partial back so that they are not totally open in back and I like that. My heels tend to crack in regular clog style shoes that are totally open in back for some reason.

Tomorrow I get my Swiss Colony order so will have the cheesecakes to take to Indiana with us if I can keep Jack out of them! lol The only thing I have had that had sugar in it since I quit eating it was we went to Baskin Robbins after the movie and got ice cream. I wanted sugar free, but their two choices were nasty so I got eggnog, which I love. I guess since I am not ingesting more of it, I didn't have problems craving it again because I haven't had anything since then and don't crave having it.

I got tickled at Kelly. She emailed me yesterday asking about my vet recommending pumpkin for Fortune, which he did. Her vet told her to feed it to Marty because he is having anal gland issues and a lot of diarrhea and this stops it. Well I asked her if she had any problem getting him to eat it. Fortune loves the purreed veggies which kind of surprised me, but she said, "He always loves something he thinks he is not supposed to eat!" :lol: Tomorrow my baby will turn 34. Sure doesn't seem that long ago though.

Jean: My lists stay at my computer desk all the time. When I pack and put stuff in the car, I scratch off stuff as we pack so I know we won't forget anything. When we go to leave the hotel, I have a system where I start at the windows and work my way to the door, shutting off the lights as I go after I recheck to make sure everything is packed. I have never forgotten anything this way because if the area of the hotel room has its lights off, that means it is checked and we have everything. The last light I turn off is the one in the hallway, which means the hotel room is cleared of our stuff completely. I usually have about 4 lists going, errands to run, clothing I want to pack, other stuff I want to pack like phone cords, books, knitting stuff like that and then dog stuff.

I guess I should get out of here. I need to fix myself some breakfast. I have started my morning chores, but have to get cleaning done and am going to start upstairs today. Have a good Tuesday all! Faye

QuilterInVA
11-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Good morning, ladies! 68 degrees already but its overcast and rain is on the way. One more day of nice weather tomorrow and then a 25 degree drop to a high of 53 on Thursday. The leaves have finally turned but not many have fallen yet.

I got up with an awful stiff neck. I must have slept wrong last night. I'm going to put the heating pad on it when I get home.

One of our local grocery stores is have double coupons today up to $2 each so that's $4 off some products and I do have some so I'll stop there after work.

Yesterday I had a great time at applique and lunch at Virginia BBQ. I get their VA BBQ sandwich without the bun, collards, and stewed tomatoes. It's really good. They have both VA BBQ (tomato based) and NC BBQ (vinegar based) and I enjoy both.

I signed up for a rug making class. It uses 2-1/2 inch strips of fabric and I have plenty of that! That will be December 5 and Glory is taking it too so I'll have a ride.

I probably had the shortest career as Membership Chairman as any - I resigned yesterday. I remembered, duh!, that I'll be going back to Jackson Hewitt and last year I didn't make it to PPQG for 4 months. I'm not giving up that job for one that doesn't pay.

A nurse from the hospital called yesterday and did all the intake medical info so now all I have to do is show up at 5:30 am Nov. 23. I'll be so glad to get this taken care of. I'm back to wearing sandals and they are hurting. When it gets cold again I guess I resort to socks and my hot pink crocs.

Faye, you are always so organized. I get there and make do with what I have. Forgot my earrings when I went to retreat so stopped at Dollar General, the only store in Wakefield, and bought 3 pair.

Jean, That was a lot of money - no wonder you didn't balance the first time! I know Black Friday is next week and then the mad rush to Christmas. Advent is starting early this year since Christmas is on Sunday. That is the day we start our church year and this year the Catholic Church is modifying the liturgy so it will be interesting until we all get it memorized again. I ordered a new missal so I could go over it at home. We do have them in the pews at church but they have to stay there.

Maggie, your brunch sure sounded yummy! I'll bet Cecil would love to chase your tarantula! I have a laser pointer and Cupid used to chase the red dot all over the house and have the best time.

I hope Gail gets her computer woes out of the way soon!

Have a great day - I have to get back to work.

Maggie
11-15-2011, 03:51 PM
:wave:GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS :comp:

It is a cool day in the 60's this day in the Heartland with the sun shining. All is well ~ I have no complaints ~ so far. :p I was making up my menu for Thanksgiving and checked my Splenda cook book for Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe and volia there is one that looks very inviting for 5 P+ a slice which I am thinking seriously of making. It can be made ahead a day or two so that will be do-able and not jam me up. I will individually freeze the pieces we don't comsume. :p I don't yet know how many we will be having for the dinner but am planning on making up some TV dinners with our left overs so we don't sit around and pick at the food. :cool: If I know if we won't be having any guests I can always make half the cheesecake recipe ~ for I have a small spring form pan in which to bake it. ;) Will is outback making picture frames. He got some real neat historical prints from the museum that are suitable for framing. There was one masacre that killed hundreds of men and their horses in the old West days and he has a picture of a beautiful horse that was the only one left standing. Also a picture of this town before it burned down back then and some other nice photos. Historical prints. More pictures were taken back then than I ever realized. There were photographers in the wild west days and before even. What is neat is that the shop here that makes custom woodwork for homes gives Will all the scraps of good lumber he wants. He has gotten some great pieces that he is making frames out of. The same folks that gave me the oval piece of marble that was cut out of a counter top to have a place for the bathroom sink to go gives him the wood. Some of the smaller hard wood pieces are great to use in our smoker also. Speaking of wood ~ I am going to have to get some chips to use in my indoor smoker. After I get the smoker maybe Will can make me some chips. I have a stove top smoker by Cameron that takes smaller wood chips than the electric one will I am sure. I have chips for my Cameron of alder, apple, cherry, hickory, oak & pecan. The stove top smoker is a fun one to have. You use 1 to 1 1/2 T of chips and chicken takes about 35 minutes. This is our camping smoker for it can be used on the barbie or campfire. It can also be used as a stovetop oven on our camp stove. Think biscuits, popcorn, potatoes and the list goes on. What I really like about it is that it is so versitile. It can be used as a steamer, roasting pan, poacher and stovetop oven. It is stainless steel and one of our main most things to take in our kitchen camping gear. We have a rule that we only take cooking tools that have more than one use. And this smoker has several as you can see. I don't use it on this stove because it is a glass top and I don't want to crack the stove top.:?: Smoked meat, cheese and veggies are great program foods. The size is ~ think sheet cake pan with a lid and folding handle. It comes in two sizes and we have the smaller version. My mother has the larger version because she cooked for the family but since there are just the two of us we just wanted the smaller of the two which works for us perfectly. I don't know if I ever would have gotten one but my mother used hers quite a bit and we learn from our mothers don't we. We did a lot of camping when I was a kid and that was before "jiffy pop" and we had pop corn which was a real treat out in those big sequoias. I am sure she used it for other things while camping but the pop corn I remember. Aren't you glad now you learned about a neat stove top smoker. I think everybody should have one since they are so neat and versitile whether you go camping or not. :D

DONNA FAYE Your cookie recipes sound yummy but I don't make anything anymore unless I have the points+ value of the item. Even things I bake to give away I know the points+ value. At least I know where I stand that way. That is just me, though, and others may want to bake them for they do really look yummy good. How nice of your gal to send you the yarn. Rule of thumb when you do take orders is to have them pay up front for your supplies and if they stiff you all you are out of is time. Or if they don't pay the full price when it is finished ~ don't let them have the article for someone else will surely come along and want to buy it. I have never been stiffed on any of my glass works doing it that way. :D

SUSAN I hope by now your neck is feeling much, much better. Double coupon day sounds great for you can pick up what you want for a lot less. We use a lot of coupons these days.:o Prices are going up steadily and coupons sure help the money go further. I have a lazer pointer also and Cecil loves it. I used it with Beanie when he was younger and what a hoot it was. We had trukey sandwiches for lunch and I didn't finish mine so I had some meat left to give to the pets. After we finished eating I divided the meat up and all three lined up on the floor beside my chair and waited as each got a morsel. Ragg Mopp first, Cecil because he was sitting in the middle then Beanie. Then the rotation went on until it was all gone and they waited patiently while each of the others got their morsel. They are all so good to wait their turn.

JEAN I haven't yet shown Cecil the tarantula since he is usually with a dog or two. He and Beanie are always together it seems. Sometimes Cecil goes out the doggie door and the two dogs are still in the house. He likes to go out and lay under some of the bushes. So far he comes when called and isn't too hard to spot when he is outside. I don't think he will leave the yard because of his two dogs. It is chain link fencing and I don't think he could squeeze through ~ don't know if he would climb over either. Hopefully. He just stays close where his two dogs are.:p

Everyone have a lovely afternoon. :wave: Type at y'all later.

Jean
11-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly and there is a breeze blowing. It's only 47 degrees so on the chilly side. I've been to make a bank deposit, stopped to pick up some birthday cards at the $ Store but they had no selection today, :( and then stopped at the hospital to deliver checks to be signed. I took Nelda to her doctor's appt., and she is now allowed to drive and go back to work part-time as she feels up to it. She didn't tell the doctor that she has been doing some work at home. :lol:

"Gma" -- Thanks for sharing your recipes! :T When I get in the mood, and feel ambitious, I will give them a try. My mind is awol, what is CP that your neice has? It's nice of you to knit for her. I hope that in time your brother will be able to tolerate food better. :yes: I would never have the surgery either. Those that have had it around here, gained the weight back after a time. Do you mix the pumpkin in Fortune's food? I either forgot or missed the fact that he gets pumpkin.

Susan -- We just got new pillows and I feel like I've been sleeping with my head on a shelf. :dizzy: I notice my neck is stiff when I change position during the night. WOW! Your double coupons will really add up to a nice amount for you. :cp: You will have fun making a rug -- something a little different! I had to chuckle at your short term as membership chairman. I assume JH is the tax business. I saw in the paper where the Catholic Church is changing their liturgy. I hope it will be easy to learn. I have a hard time memorizing as I get older for some reason.

I need to make a WM run and stop at the po for stamps. Enjoy and have a terrific rest of your Tuesday! http://forums.delphiforums.com/dir-icon/0/2/smile.icon :wave:

gma22
11-15-2011, 04:35 PM
I have yet to make this, but it got top marks on the Splenda website and it looks yummy just in time for the holidays. I am going to make it for Christmas.

Scary Sweet Pumpkin Cheesecake
NUTRITION FACTS

Servings Per Recipe: 20
Amount Per Serving Calories: 170 Calories from Fat: 90 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 30mg Sodium: 370mg Total Carbs: 11g Dietary Fiber: 1g Sugars: 3g Protein: 10g

Servings: 20 servings

Ingredients:
CRUST:
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener Granulated
1/3 cup light butter, melted
FILLING:
3 (8 ounce) packages fat free cream cheese
2 (8 ounce) packages reduced fat cream cheese
1 1/2 cups SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 pinch ground cloves
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1/4 cup fat free half-and-half
1/2 cup egg beaters(R)
1 tablespoon vanilla
TOPPING:
2 cups reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 drops maple flavor

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with baking spray. Set aside.
Mix crust ingredients together and firmly press onto bottom of prepared springform pan. Bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned and firm. Cool.
Blend together cream cheese, SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener, flour and spices on medium speed in an electric mixer until cream cheese is smooth and lump free. Scrape sides of bowl. Add pumpkin. Mix on medium speed until well blended. Scrape sides of bowl and mix until mixture is smooth and lump-free.
Turn mixer on low and slowly add half-and-half, Egg Beaters(R) and vanilla. Blend until well mixed.
Pour over prepared crust. Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven 50-60 minutes or until center is slightly firm. Remove from oven and cool.
Prepare topping. Blend all ingredients together in a small bowl until well mixed. Pour on top of cheesecake and spread evenly. Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool 20-25 minutes on a wire rack. Chill 4- 6 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. This, like all cheesecakes, is best if prepared a day in advance.

gma22
11-15-2011, 05:00 PM
I cleaned upstairs, did the laundry and daily chores, finished the back of my sweater and bound it off, got the sock to the foot part so that will go quick now so I got a lot done. I even got my new shoes and though I am not keen on the fact they have "fake" laces that are shiny silver, they fit fine so am keeping them. I now have two pairs that are comfortable and will take my black humongous crocs in case of bad weather as I bought the ones used by kitchen people so I don't slide when weather is bad.

Just got a call from my brother and oh brother! lol The yarn is super bulky and only one skein of 68 yds. She has Cerebral Palsy, Jean, but is 17 and is trying so hard to be independent. She graduates next year and like I said has her first job and all so she wants to be grown up so was all secretive about all this her dad said. Well, before he mailed it, he wrote down the info on the sleeve and this is not enough yarn and too bulky to make a hat out of so.... I told him I would buy compatible colored yarn in worsted weight and she could pick out a pattern from the ones I sent her and make her one then send it and email him what it cost me in yarn. Have mercy! :lol: This is the young girl we had a couple years ago that came and stayed over Christmas and I took her clothes shopping and such. She is a sweetheart and I would do anything for her so even if I never see the money for the yarn, I am going to make it for her, but my brother is pretty good about sending me the money for stuff.

Jack should be home in about 20 minutes. We are having hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes and toast with green beans. I actually eat it with plain bread, but Jack likes toast. It is sort of like chipped beef on toast only with hamburger and I use ff beef broth to make the gravy instead of the grease from fattier hamburger. Fast meal tonight as I just feel crampy and such from the female stuff again today, UGH!

I will answer all the individuals tomorrow, just wanted to peek in and talk for a minute and post the recipe. Maggie, this may be the same one you have, I don't know. Sorry about the nutritional info as it wasn't included with either recipe. Faye

Maggie
11-15-2011, 06:04 PM
DONNA FAYE Our recipes are different so here is mine ~ they both look good don't they. I copied yours and will put it in my book.

PUMPKIN STREUSEL CHEESECAKE
Serves: 12 ~ 5 Points+ per serving
Crust:
10 gingersnap cookies, ground into crumbs
Filling:
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
8 ounces tub-style light cream cheese
8 ounces nonfat cream cheese, room temperature
1 ¼ cup Splenda Granular
1 15-ounce can solid pack pumpkin
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
4 large egg whites
½ cup light sour cream
Streusel
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon light butter, cold

Preheat oven to 350º
Spray a 9-inch spring-form pan with nonstick cooking spray
Crust In a small bowl combine Splenda & cookie crumbs
Add the butter and stir to mix
Reserve 1/3 of the crumbs
Press 2/3 of the crumbs into bottom of pan
Bake for 5 minutes ~ set aside
Filling Puree cottage in blender till smooth
Spoon cottage cheese into large mixing bowl
Add non-fat and light cream cheeses
With an electric mixer beat on medium until creamy
Add the Splenda, pumpkin, flour, cornstarch, spices & vanilla
Beat on low speed until smooth
Add whole eggs then egg whites beating after each addition
Stir in the sour cream with a large spoon
Pour into the prepared crust and smooth the top
Bake for 75 minutes or until sides are firm & center jiggles lightly
Streusel: Add flour & brown sugar to reserved cookie crumbs
Cut in butter until a loose crumb forms
After baking cheesecake, open oven, sprinkle crumbs over top
Place back into oven for an additional 15 minutes
Turn off heat and open door ~
Let cheese cake cool in oven 30 min
Remove from oven and place on rack to cool
Refrigerate at least 6 hours before serving
Best if made a day or two in advance.

Cal 200; Prot 11; Carbs 21; Fat 7; Fiber 2

Jean
11-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Which one of you two want to come to my house and make Pumpkin Cheesecake? :T

gma22
11-16-2011, 06:27 AM
Good morning to you all. It is pouring down rain this morning and of course, it is trash day so it has to go out to the corner before Jack goes to work. I am just hoping it slacks off before he has to drag the trash can out there. I couldn't even let Fortune out it is raining so hard so I imagine I will find a mess somewhere to clean up, but not much I can do about it.

I am cleaning bathrooms today and hopefully will jump up and do it as soon as Jack leaves for work and get it done. I actually don't hate cleaning the bathrooms as much as I do other household chores. I want to finish the house up by Friday so I can concentrate on all the stuff I need to do this weekend before we leave.

Happy Birthday to my daughter today. This is her true birthday as she was born 34 years ago today.

Jean: I can't even find the time to make one for myself! :lol: They do both sound pretty good though, don't they? I haven't ever baked with Splenda but I read where, especially with cookies, you don't substitute exactly or the cookies won't come out right. You can use all Splenda I guess, but it is not cup for cup. You can make Splenda powdered sugar though like you can make your own regular powdered sugar by blending sugar until it is powder and adding corn starch. I guess you can do the same with Splenda. Have you gotten any snow yet? I have an internet friend that lives in North Dakota who has seen a big storm so far and flurries in a couple places in Indiana, but not much else except one in the northeast I think. Santa may have a tough time this year! :lol:

Maggie: Thanks for the recipe. No one in my family like pumpkin a whole lot except myself so I don't know about making a cheesecake, but I think I might do it for Christmas. I don't have time for Thanksgiving with traveling and all. I am going to make the two batches of cookies and freeze them and take them and then leave them for the kids since I definitely don't want them coming back with me. :lol:

Susan: Oooh, rag rugs, I love them. They are so homey I think. Let us know what you think of the class. I agree with you, no sense in keeping a volunteer job and giving up one that makes money for you. We need all we can get anymore.

Guess I will unload the dishwasher and put in the couple cups in the sink in there and get the day going. Jack should be up in about half an hour or so. Have a good middle of the week! Faye

Jean
11-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly, NO wind, and it's warmed up to 15 degrees :brr: since I got up this morning. I'm off to get my nails done, drop off library books, will organize my shoe box pile, iron later, and have bell practice at 5. I should fix a meal in there somewhere. :rolleyes:

"Gma" -- :hp: to Kelly! Time does fly, doesn't it? Bob laughs at me because I am one to follow a recipe and not try to substitute. Sometimes we watch the cooking channel where most of the cooks just scoop and dump. His mom used to go by guess 'n by gosh; sometimes things came out tasting really, really good and other times not so much. :lol: I don't know how women did all they did before the convenience of washers, dryers, dishwashers and microwaves. One can spend all day in the kitchen just fixing meals and cleaning up, then it's time to do it again. :( We've had no snow yet, although eastern Iowa did get a light snow a couple weeks ago. I figure each day without is one day closer to spring! :cheer:

I'm off to get my day moving onward. Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday and enjoy! http://forums.delphiforums.com/dir-icon/0/2/smile.icon :wave:

QuilterInVA
11-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Please go to Steel Magnolias #52