Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #1  

Height: 5'0"

Default I could be sick, but do I really want help?

I am concerned that I might be sick, because the weight keeps coming off (albeit slowly) regardless of my diet. Unfortunately, I don't want to do anything about it.

After my first kid was born, I was diagnosed with both borderline Type 2 diabetes and borderline hypothyroidism. I was told neither was extreme enough to warrant treatment at the moment, but to check back in 6 months or so. At that time, it was almost impossible to get the baby weight off. Every pound was a struggle.

Then I got pregnant with my second kid. After she was born, I never went back for more blood tests. (Bad, I know.) And the weight has been coming off regardless of my diet. I am sedentary and eat a ton of unhealthy food.

When my post-baby weight dropped to 116 and held steady for a while, I figured that was it. (That was the weight after my 1st kid where I was stuck eternally.) But then it took a drop to 113. And a few weeks ago it dropped to 112. Since my weight loss is slow, I'm not TOO concerned, but it's been in the back of my head that I might be sick.

I'm 5'0" tall with a small frame, and my goal weight is 104 anyway. Although I am concerned that I might be sick, I am also kind of reluctant to do anything about it because I feel fine, I'm not losing super fast, and I'm not at my goal weight anyway. So incredibly vain and shallow, and lazy, too!
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I would definitely have a checkup due to the diagnosis you had previously.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #3  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

What you have said is incredibly concerning to me.

Being a certain number on the scale counts for ZERO if you are sickly and unhealthy. NOt only could you have serious health issues that are going untreated, you admitted that you eat junk and don't do any excercise.

Look at your long-term health. What are these health issues going to look like untreadted 5-10 years from now? What will your coronary (heart) arteries look like after continuos abuse of food and no exercise?

I'm asking these tough questions, b/c we should ALL be asking ourselves this!! Diet alone is truly not sufficient, and I think many people just get so excited about being small, that they don't care about actuallyl being HEALTHY...they just want to fit into small pants.

But please do not look for support on here to lose weight in this manner!
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

I think you are being irresponsible. It's one appointment. The longer you put it off, the greater the chance that you get into "irreversible damage" territory. Or it could be nothing.

You need to follow your instincts, they are trying to tell you something. Get it over with and enjoy the holidays without a huge "what if" hanging over your head.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I would go just for peace of mind. If you have babies, maybe you should use them as your motivation for a check up. I see nothing with a slow loss at this point--you are probably pretty active staying after them.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Also one other thought-sure, I get wanting to be thin. But thin OR fat isnt attractive if you arent healthy!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

From one mom to another, do it for your babies

You said you eat unhealthy and you are sedentary - we need to be good role models. No, I'm not perfect (in fact I was so tired this morning I gave my 17 month old a sugary muffin for breakfast) but overall we need to make the effort.

Not many girls here on 3FC grew up eating healthy foods and had active parents. Some yes, but most of us were allowed to eat junk and sit on our bums for 18 years before leaving the house. You want to minimize the chances that your babies end up with weight struggles too. They copy us SO much, consiously and especially unconsiously.

As for diabetes, well, you don't need me to tell you that it can shorten your life when unchecked. Nobody wants to lose their mom before she needed to.

Good luck. Find it within yourself.

Last edited by sacha; 11-09-2011 at 09:16 AM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Also one other thought-sure, I get wanting to be thin. But thin OR fat isnt attractive if you arent healthy!
*winces* I get what you're trying to say here, but that's not the best way of phrasing it! You accidentally just told all of us who are "unhealthy" (medical conditions, disabled, whatever) that we're not attractive. Assuming that what you really meant is that health should take priority over feeling attractive, I absolutely agree.

Banananutmuffin, it's entirely possible that you're getting more exercise from running around after your kids, and maybe even eating less for the same reason (less time for boredom snacking, say), but I'd go with your instinct on this one. You have a couple of medical conditions lurking, you've missed a follow-up blood test, from a few of your posts it sounds like your mood is low, and most of all you're concerned enough about it to be posting here, so yep, it's a good time to check in with a doctor. Do you feel OK about doing that? Do you have a decent GP and a good relationship with her or him? Are you comfortable talking to doctors, and will it be a problem financially?
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 249.2/on hold/166

Height: 5'5"

I agree with everyone you need to go and get checked out, if not for you for your babies.

My stepfather all of a sudden started losing weight without even trying, actually he was eating lots of sugary foods and was his lowest weight ever. Then he had a heart attack and while at the hospital they discovered he had full blown diabetes type 2. he was losing weight because of the diabetes but the high blood sugars were destroying his heart. He is alive now and currently having to use insulin to control his blood sugars, is on medications. We almost lost him because he didn't go and get checked out.

Please book an appointment today with your dr.
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #10  

You owe it to your children to get checked out.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #11  
Iron Love Handles

S/C/G: 175

Height: 5"5'

Yes, going to see the doctor is probably a good thing, especially considering your past diagnosis. I have a friend with hyperthyroidism (causing weight loss) who didn't take care of it and didn't take care of herself, and it turned into hypO-thyroidism and she gained all of the weight back and then some! If it truly is vanity that's keeping you away, it could backfire.
That being said, you know your own body better than any doctor.
Do a bit of your own research. Write down what you are eating. Maybe you're not eating as badly as you think you are. Write down how you are feeling and when and what you just ate. It might ease your mind, and it will be helpful to the doctor to have that information, as well.
ironlovehandles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 273/186/161

Height: 170cm (5ft 7)

oh dear, do you know how serious diabetes is? i suggest you google it. im sorry hon but you need a wake up call... diabetes can kill you, if you go to the doctors now you could prevent yourself from having to be on dialisis (however you spell that!) for the rest of your life. your liver could fail. on the other hand you could go to docs and be just fine then you can rest easy! please go, your obviously concerned otherwise you wouldnt be writing about it. think of your children hon xxx
carlyfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 260

Height: 6'4"

If you have been diagnosed with a low functioning thyroid you should be seeing your doctor on a regular basis as it affects many of your internal organs. With seeing your physician you will know what measures you need to take as far as whether you need medication. The weight loss is small and the least of your worries, take care of your health.
AndrewCribbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlovehandles View Post
That being said, you know your own body better than any doctor.

To a point this can be true, but be very cautious about believing this to mean that if you feel fine, you are fine. There are many extremely serious health conditions that are entirely symptom-free until they've done irreversible, even deadly damage - such as serious nthyroid problems, diabeties, and many cancers.

And the fact is, there is a symptom - unexplained weight loss.

We're so weight-obsessed in this country, that it is tempting to delay treatment to enjoy the benefits of effortless weight loss - but you can't afford to wait. You don't want to literally be "dying to lose weight."

Last edited by kaplods; 11-09-2011 at 09:47 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #15  

Just one more voice for seeing the doctor. My sister was always heavy and then she strted losing weight. When it was so apperant that something wasn't right and we were all begging her to see the dr she would answer that she just wanted to lose 10 more pounds. I was never told if she did go to the dr or not, but 2 nights before her daughters 9th birthday she went to bed and never woke up. Her children found her dead in her bed, she had had an anyurism that had ruptured in her sleep. If you have children you can't afford to ignore your health, because who will raise your children if you aren't there. Please go to the dr.
Bette k is offline   Reply With Quote