Pregnant - Nursing - Spring/Summer 2012 Mamas

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

View Full Version : Spring/Summer 2012 Mamas

mandalinn82
11-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I've seen a whole bunch of you out there in the March - June range...anyone want a 3FC support group?

It's amazing how the food pushers come out when you're pregnant! With PCOS, my gestational diabetes risk is really high, so I'm trying to keep an eye on my carb intake. You'd think I was not eating anything by the way people react!

evilwomaniamshe
11-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Just wanted to say CONGRATS Amanda! :) That's wonderful news, I noticed your ticker a bit earlier, so I wanted to chime in & say congratulations to you both!

butterflymama
11-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Yeah I would love a support group!

I am also trying to keep an eye on my carb intake. I have/had PCOS, had gestational diabetes with my first (2005) but controlled it with diet and exercise, and in Mar 2011 my fasting blood sugars were a bit above normal but my A1C was high. Anyway I was able to get my blood sugars under control in about 2 weeks and they have been in the normal range for the past 7 mons. I was never officially diagnosed with diabetes but I know I have a huge increased risk for developing gestational diabetes again. I managed to keep GD away when pregnant with my son (2007) by trying to stick to a lower carb diet and exercising through my pregnancy.

However right now I am in my first trimester (around 6 weeks or so) and the all day sickness is horrible and they things that make me feel better are really crappy foods like plain potato chips and lemonade. It really sucks. I have lost about 4 lbs so far in the last few weeks because of vomiting and nausea. With my son the "morning" sickness lasted till about 16 weeks. I am really hoping it will not last that long this time

mandalinn82
11-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Wendalyn - thanks! We're super excited.

Butterflymama - Hooray and congratulations! I am working really hard on controlling carbs and on making sure that when I do eat them, they're balanced with protein and fat. I'm also still keeping up my exercise, although I am utterly EXHAUSTED still (it's my biggest pregnancy symptom - I swear I could sleep 14 hours a day and still feel tired) which makes it difficult sometimes, particularly to do strength training.

I lived on mashed potatoes and gravy for the first 8 weeks or so...you sort of do what you have to do. Get your prenatals down, eat what you can, and plan on getting more complete nutrition in the second trimester. Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't take as long to fade this time!

chickadee32
11-08-2011, 10:52 PM
mandalinn and butterflymama, congratulations to both of you!! You must be so excited!

I happened to see this thread as one of the most recent posts on the front page and it caught my eye... I am going to beginning my first IVF cycle very soon, and if it works I would have a due date around the end of August. Trying not to get my hopes up too much yet - it will be quite a process, and I won't even know whether this first cycle has worked until the end of December - but I am still hoping I'll be able to join you here sometime in the next few months. :)

In the meantime, good luck and I hope everything continues to go smoothly for you!! :)

Annita
11-09-2011, 02:23 AM
Hello everyone
Congrats on both mandalinn and butterflymama.
Hope I can join ;) I really need some supports.
I don't crave anything - I don't even feel like wanting to eat. :(
And always exhausted. Even 1 mile walk away the pounds tires me....
Currently, I'm just aiming for balance nutritions with lots of fresh fruits and veggie to avoid obstipation (aw TMI sorry).

butterflymama
11-09-2011, 09:42 AM
mandalinn - thanks. Were you able to keep up with your exercise during your first trimester? I have tried to walk a bit but am also exhausted and moving sometimes increases the nausea. I am hoping to make it to aquafit tomorrow night, will see how I feel.

chickadee- thanks. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and hopefully you will be joining us here soon :crossed:

annita- congratulations! I hear yeah on the exhaustion and the not wanting to eat. How far along are you?

mandalinn82
11-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Chickadee - having used assisted reproductive technology to get this one, I really really REALLY am hoping that you get to join us!

Annita - Hello and congrats!

I definitely had to cut my exercise intensity back. Whoever said you can continue with your normal routine in the first tri probably never experienced first trimester fatigue! Weights still wear me out more than anything, but between walking hills on my treadmill and walking the dog, I'm getting maybe 5.5-6.5 miles of walking a day. I was running before I got pregnant, but don't think the impact is a good idea at this point.

On the constipation, try kiwis! They are like my miracle fruit. I eat a kiwi every day with my breakfast and they really keep things moving along. I don't know what I'm going to do when they're no longer available at my farmers market.

Gale02
11-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Yay! Thanks for starting this group, Amanda (and CONGRATULATIONS!) It's nice to have support.

I am about 9 weeks pregnant with number 3, due mid-June. The exhaustion in particular gets worse for me with each pregnancy, probably because I still have my other kids to chase around. :lol: My oldest is turning 3 on the 21st and my second is 14 months old. Rambunctious boys to the core, those two are. Morning sickness hasn't been worse this time around, but harder to manage. I think because I don't have much opportunity to sit, even when I'm "resting." With 2 toddlers in the house there's not a lot of rest. All the sudden I see the case for putting 5 years in between your kids, instead of the year and a half trend we're on. Haha!

Here's to happy, healthy pregnancies for all of us! :)

MindiV
11-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Cool! A group just for us preggo people!

I was thankfully pretty lucky and just had a couple weeks of sickness that totally went away. I also craved a LOT of carbs then...pasta, mashed potatoes, breads, rice...and I'm still kinda anti-veggie. I'm getting back into the swing of things, but it's been slow.

Still working out five days a week, but I've gained 7 pounds regardless. Yuck. And the doctor said weight gain wasn't necessary for me in the first trimester. The way I see it, though, I can gain a pound a week from here on out and still be around the 35 pound mark the doctor set as the upper weight gain limit. Heck, I lost 80 the first time, 40 won't be so bad.

I'm 13 weeks on Saturday, and my only real issue is MASSIVE bloat at night and (TMI) bad gas during the day. First trimester is nearly over!! Crazy to think we'll have a little one in May!

mandalinn82
11-09-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm up 3.5 so far...not great, but not that bad, either. But I am STARVING this week. I could eat a horse.

Gale, I don't know how you do this with 2 kids. I am so sleepy and am barely managing to keep myself fed, clothed, and bathed (not to mention actually doing my job, keeping my house clean, etc). I've been an insomniac for the past 5 years, and that completely vanished at 5 weeks. For now, I sleep like a rock (but I'm sure that as I get less comfortable, that'll change).

I'm forcing myself to work strength training into my day, one exercise at a time. Seems to wear me out less than doing it all in a one hour block. I'll do a set of lunges and a set of bicep curls, then sit for a bit. Keeping the weights next to my desk helps.

keller237
11-10-2011, 01:39 AM
First off- Congrats to everyone :]

I'll gladly join! I'm a little bit further than all of you soo far I believe. I'm in my 15th week. Second pregnancy, had a miscarriage last October. Super scared because my due dates are literally only a weeks difference from each other. I'm due May 6th

Glad to e out of the first trimester though. Started at 254, currently sitting at 246.8/247.4 depending on the morning. Looks like i'm gonna start gaining here soon. Lots of retaining again.

I maybe workout like once a week. I take the steps down at work, not up because i work on the fourth floor. Little stuff like that. But even the littlest things exhaust me! Nausea and vomiting has been horrible for me. Basically, it just went away but still comes and goes. Also, just started getting really bad sinuses and headaches- not fun. I've been a whiny baby for a couple days and the bf doesn't like it lol

MindiV
11-10-2011, 08:19 AM
My measurements, belly-wise, have only gone up 1/2 inch since I got pregnant. But my pants are fitting SO tight! I've got to go shopping for some sort of pants on Friday, because my jeans aren't cutting it anymore. I may get one more week of wear out of them, but not much more than that!

This REALLY makes me wish I hadn't given all my bigger jeans to the local clothing donation drive!!

Gale02
11-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Still working out five days a week, but I've gained 7 pounds regardless. Yuck. And the doctor said weight gain wasn't necessary for me in the first trimester. The way I see it, though, I can gain a pound a week from here on out and still be around the 35 pound mark the doctor set as the upper weight gain limit. Heck, I lost 80 the first time, 40 won't be so bad.

Mindi - I have noticed a trend with me (a pattern, now that it's happened 3 times): I will gain 7-9 lbs in the first 6 weeks or so for no particular reason. This time around I was still working out and counting my calories. Then, I'll maintain for a while before I start gaining again. It's a little depressing to see 8 lbs in 6 weeks when I'm barely pregnant, but it seems to be the way my body does things. Don't worry about your gain so far, just stay healthy and let your body do its thing. :) If you're not eating a bag of chocolate a day, you're probably ok.

butterflymama
11-10-2011, 09:28 AM
My measurements, belly-wise, have only gone up 1/2 inch since I got pregnant. But my pants are fitting SO tight! I've got to go shopping for some sort of pants on Friday, because my jeans aren't cutting it anymore. I may get one more week of wear out of them, but not much more than that!

This REALLY makes me wish I hadn't given all my bigger jeans to the local clothing donation drive!!

I hate that in between stage were your regular pants are too snug and uncomfortable but nowhere ready for mat clothes yet. I am currently living in my yoga pants right now due to bloat and not being able to stand anything remotely tight around my waist.

Anyone having crazy pregnancy dreams? I am having bizarre dreams nightly. The other night I had a dream that my DH took me to a room were a young and very hot LL Cool J was waiting for me to get "busy" and DH was like "Surprise, I arranged this for you" so crazy...:o

MindiV
11-10-2011, 10:24 AM
I had some crazy dreams up until a week or so ago...now just straight SLEEP! :)

Thanks, Gale...I'm hoping that's true for me also. I'm not pigging out on junk, so I know it's not bad weight. It's necessary, obviously, or else I wouldn't be gaining it! Just don't have to like it! :)

mandalinn82
11-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Keller - I think we're about a week and a half apart, I'm due May 17 and just hit 13w today. Sorry you're having headaches...are they sinus headaches or hormonal? Mine were from the shifting hormones and AWFUL for a while there...2 migraines a week will wear a person down. My midwife recommended magnesium for them, which seems to have really helped, thank goodness.

My body decided to gain 4 lbs of water weight over night. I think it was a combination of soup for dinner (with all that salt) and weight lifting yesterday (sore today). Displeased with the scale this morning, though. Trying to be like the rest of you and think, well, if I'm eating healthy foods when I'm hungry, and I'm moving, I'm just going to have to let the weight gain fall where it may.

I've been living in workout clothes since week 2. Thank goodness I work from home. Luckily, my wife has jeans that are slightly bigger than mine, so I have been wearing hers in a pinch (but even they are tight in the waist, too loose in the legs and butt...sigh).

I've had a couple crazy dreams here and there, but nothing extreme. I've been sleeping SO WELL that I don't think I'd remember anything there was.

Oh, and I have to share our hilarious pic from the NT scan. He/she totally looks like an alien! Everyone always says ultrasounds look a little alien-like, but this one actually looks like the classic cartoon alien (for those not fluent in ultrasound, that's the back of baby's head...the alien "eyes" are normal fluids around the brain):

http://static.ow.ly/photos/normal/kQoK.jpg

MindiV
11-10-2011, 11:53 AM
I had one of those gains, too, Amanda...up 3 pounds today from yesterday. Every time that happens I have to stop myself from trying to restrict the next day...like if I went overboard pre-pregnancy, I'd cut back the following day. I can't do that now....just gotta eat normally and let the little one grow!

But not too much growth...DH's grandpa was 14 POUNDS at birth!!!

butterflymama
11-10-2011, 09:19 PM
14 lbs!!!!! that is crazy! My DS was 9 lbs 12oz and 22 inches long he was a huge newborn.

Love the Alien picture :)

Ky30
11-11-2011, 04:20 PM
I've seen a whole bunch of you out there in the March - June range...anyone want a 3FC support group?

It's amazing how the food pushers come out when you're pregnant! With PCOS, my gestational diabetes risk is really high, so I'm trying to keep an eye on my carb intake. You'd think I was not eating anything by the way people react!

CONGRATS!!!!! I remember you from the 100lb club :). I havent been over there since finding out I was pregnant but will be back when baby boy comes in Feburary. Im to far ahead of you ladies to join but just wanted to say congrats.

CardboardCutoutCat
11-12-2011, 04:50 AM
Hi! Jumping in if I'm welcome too!

15 weeks here, first baby, all is going well so far.. Can't believe I'll be four months next week it's crazy..

Hoping so much that I'll start to show a bit soon, I feel at the moment like I just look like I gained weight. A friend told me yesterday (she's 8 months 1 week) that one morning she woke up and the bump had appeared, and that's how quick it was.

Thankfully all sickness & tiredness has gone now and I'm feeling pretty good. Gained a HUGE amount in the first trimester, like 16lbs!! This was due to overloading on carbs and crap in a futile attempt to curb the sick feelings. Also had a trip to the US and I gained like 5lbs in that week alone! Have never seen restaurant portions like the ones in Florida :) Something interesting I read was that it's possible that women who have been dieting prior to pregancy are more likely to gain weight quickly, as the body is holding on to all the calories it gets..
So, doing my best to watch what I eat pretty carefully after all that gain or I'm pretty sure my doctor will strangle me next month when I go to see him.

bargoo
11-12-2011, 07:38 AM
mandalinn, Exciting news ! You are pregnant, how did I miss that ? You must have made the announcement while I was busy packing and moving. Best of luck in the months ahead.

MindiV
11-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Hi! Jumping in if I'm welcome too!

15 weeks here, first baby, all is going well so far.. Can't believe I'll be four months next week it's crazy..

Hoping so much that I'll start to show a bit soon, I feel at the moment like I just look like I gained weight. A friend told me yesterday (she's 8 months 1 week) that one morning she woke up and the bump had appeared, and that's how quick it was.

Thankfully all sickness & tiredness has gone now and I'm feeling pretty good. Gained a HUGE amount in the first trimester, like 16lbs!! This was due to overloading on carbs and crap in a futile attempt to curb the sick feelings. Also had a trip to the US and I gained like 5lbs in that week alone! Have never seen restaurant portions like the ones in Florida :) Something interesting I read was that it's possible that women who have been dieting prior to pregancy are more likely to gain weight quickly, as the body is holding on to all the calories it gets..
So, doing my best to watch what I eat pretty carefully after all that gain or I'm pretty sure my doctor will strangle me next month when I go to see him.

I've had a gain too....as of yesterday 9 pounds! Still eating right and working out. I'm going to ask my doctor Monday if it's too much, too soon. Or if something else could be wrong. It said in one of my books to ask the doctor if you've gained weight for no reason and started at a normal weight, or lost weight for no reason as well, at a normal starting weight. Hopefully it's not a sign of trouble...and I bet it's not. Probably just that my body NEEDED some extra, maybe.

mandalinn82
11-12-2011, 11:10 AM
:wave: Hi CardboardCutoutCat

I would say my weight gain was pretty on track, but my body decided it needed to put on SIX POUNDS (presumably of water?) in the last 2 days. I am displeased and puffy, especially since my eating has been moderate. All yesterday I was chugging water to try to get rid of the 2 lb overnight gain from the day before and my reward was another 4. I'm annoyed and trying not to freak out, but last night I dreamed I was going in to give birth and was back to my pre-weight-loss 295 lbs. I won't be far off I keep putting on 4 lbs a day!!

Last night was actually pretty chock full of crummy pregnant dreams...all my biggest fears were covered (miscarriage, pre-term labor, etc). I think the insane work and personal stress going on last week finally got me.

keller237
11-12-2011, 05:36 PM
I had a 2.2 gain last night! Agggh, i haven't been gaining weight so far so you ladies could imagine my shock to see it up a few numbers.

Mandalinn: Love the alien pic!

What is everybodys 'official" due date? Mines May 6th, 2012

Also, do you ladies have other children or previous pregnancies? How far did you make it if miscarriage or stillborn? Or What ages and genders? How was labor and delivery on them? I'm soo scared since i miscarried my first pregnancy. I try to stay positive but all i can think is "what if something bad happens?"

MindiV
11-13-2011, 08:40 AM
My "official" date is May 21, give or take a week, the doctor says. This is my first pregnancy

butterflymama
11-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Keller - I don't have an "official due date yet" I am going to wait and do a dating ultrasound in about 3 weeks. According to my midwifes office using the birthing wheel which goes by LMP the due date is June 14th but according to my calculations based on conception date July 5th. So we will see what the dating ultrasound says :)

My history may not be too reassuring but here it is. (disclaimer - perinatal death and miscarriage)

After 5 years of dealing with PCOS and fertility stuff and trying to get pregnant I lost some weight went on Metformin and was surprised to find out in June of 2005 that I was 9 weeks pregnant with my first. It was a fantastic pregnancy but filled with worry and anxiety, I was so scarred something would happen. I did develop gestational diabetes but controlled it with diet and exercise. Everything looked good until the last 2 months or so. The baby was breech, I had polyhydramnios and my BP was starting to go up. I started to go into labour on Jan 6th 2006 at 36 wks 4 days had to have a c-section for the above reasons and unfortunately my daughter, Sonja Natalia, only lived for 35 mins after birth. She had Spinal Muscular Atrophy that had kicked in in utero and prevented her lungs from developing and some other stuff. We had no idea there was something wrong with her and everyone was shocked. We later found out it was a genetic mutation, SMA is usually an autosomal recessive disorder meaning that both parents carry the recessive gene for the disease, we do not carry the gene (found out after lots of genetic testing)

I then got pregnant again by accident in Sept of 2006 right around the time I went in for gallbladder surgery, the baby stopped developing and I miscarried at 9.5 weeks. I have a feeling that this is due to the fact of the surgery right after conception and then heavy pain meds, etc. 2006 was a crappy year.

Well I started running and eating healthy again and was ready to start trying to conceive in early 2007 after charting my cycle DH and I got pregnant on our second month of trying. I got my BFP on the hp test at 9 dpo. Even though I was a bit worried I decided that I was not going to spend this pregnancy in a state of fear I developed a mantra "Big, Strong, Healthy Baby" that I would say to myself when the anxiety started to kick in. I focused on the present day and enjoyed my pregnancy and preparing for this baby. I had a wonderful pregnancy and was pretty relaxed. I ate healthy and I exercised. I actually ran my first 5km race (my daughter Sonja was the honouree) at 9 weeks pregnant. I did not develop GD this time. I delivered my "Big, Strong, Healthy Baby" at 39 weeks by planned c-section (I wanted to VBAC but it wasn't in the cards) on January 29, 2008. Julian weighed 9lbs 12 oz and was yelling his head off before his body was even out of me :)

I am approaching this pregnancy the same way I did with Julian's. I am using my mantra and I am not giving in to the worry. Worrying about the what-if's will not change the outcome nor will it prepare you any better if they do come true. I am enjoying this pregnancy (well hoping to enjoy it more once the horrible all day sickness and exhausting settle down)

So there is my long story. I wish you a happy, healthy, relaxed pregnancy and birth.

keller237
11-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Butterflymama- Wow! You've been through soo much and still have a positive outlook and mantra. You are definitely a role model.If you can go through that, be positive, and have a helathy baby, i can defintely get passed the worries of something happeneing and enjoy my pregnancy too =] I wouldn't be able to pull myself together if I lost a baby I carried to full term. I think I would go crazy. Everything looks good still thank goodness. My worries are beginning to fade as i'm in my 16th week now. 9 lbs 12 oz? Definitely a big,strong,healthy baby. Thank you for the reasssurance that those things can happen and go on to have many healthy babies! I know it in the back of my mind, but personally don't know anybody else who has miscarried and then went on to have a healthy pregnancy.

mandalinn82
11-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Butterflymama - that's a lot of history. I am also trying to approach this pregnancy with optimism, since I have no history of miscarriage but a LOT of risk factors. I need someone to come and disable Google on my computer, so I stop researching complications.

Right now I just learned I have a low-lying placenta. Of course in most cases it is TOTALLY FINE (something like 9/10 placenta previas diagnosed before week 14 go away as the baby grows) but it gave me something else to worry about.

I had to get maternity pants, since my belly totally popped and my regular jeans were not cutting it anymore. At least the band on the pants makes my bump look like a bump, and not just like I ate too much lunch.

I'm really struggling today with a migraine. I used to get them maybe every 2-3 months pre-pregnancy, but now I get maybe one every week or so. I could do without it!

MindiV
11-14-2011, 04:18 PM
The first thing my doctor told me was to stay away from Google!! :)

Gale02
11-14-2011, 05:52 PM
My Dr also says to stay away from Google. There are too many what-ifs and pregnant women tend to quickly digress from being informed into paranoia.

Manda - I never get headaches when I'm not pregnant and I get at least one a week when I'm pregnant. I think my Dr told me it had something to do with the increased blood flow. I'm sorry you're having so many migraines, that's really tough. :(

butterflymama
11-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Yeah Google can really lead you down a path of fear. Not healthy.

Keller- I am glad your worries are dissipating and you are enjoying your pregnancy :hug:

Mandalinn - I had a low lying placenta with my son and by the 21 week ultrasound it had nicely moved away from my cervix and was no longer a concern. I never had migraines until I had children, they really suck. I found a little caffeine helped. I really feel for you having to deal with them weekly :(

So went for my first midwife visit today and after doing some palpation and looking at dates she thinks I am closer to 10 weeks then 6. Will go for a dating ultrasound sometime next week.

mandalinn82
11-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Apparently this migraine wants to hang on for a second day. I really wish I had enough free time to try to sleep it off, but between work and caretaking responsibilities (I take care of my grandfather and his long term girlfriend, who live in an assisted living facility less than a mile from us. The facility does meals and cleaning and etc, but we have to get the girlfriend dressed in the morning and in Depends, and they like visits, so we're there 1-2 times a day), I have no time to sleep. Hopefully it'll calm down next week.

I keep trying to get up the nerve to tell my boss and failing. I have to tell him before Thanksgiving...that's when we're going public on Facebook, and his wife is my friend.

Gale02
11-15-2011, 12:46 PM
What are you worried about with telling your boss? Are you planning on going back to work after baby is born or is it a "I'm leaving, eventually" kind of thing?

mandalinn82
11-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Oh no, I'll definitely be back. I am just considered "key personnel" in that there is no one else who does my job, so I know me being out for 6 weeks full time and another 2 weeks part time (which is what I'm requesting) is going to be rough. I work from home, which will help in letting me get back sooner.

Originally I had hoped to time my work announcements to be after performance reviews (I have no reason to believe that my workplace would in any way change my review on the basis of me being pregnant, I just think it's good to be prudent if you can, since you never know if people will have subconscious reactions that change their perception of you), but the reviews moved out to Jan/Feb which is really too late.

I'm sort of shy/nervous about telling people in general. We went out to lunch with friends on Sunday, and I got all blushy and weird telling THEM. Our conception does raise some unique questions, and talking about the donor/process I'm fine with, but the questions are interesting...plus I'm not good at being the center of attention or making big announcements (I felt the same way at my bridal shower and wedding).

In fact, one of the things I REALLY am not looking forward to is telling my grandpa and his girlfriend...not because they aren't supportive (they were both at my wedding and love my wife, that part isn't an issue), but because they both (Lyn particularly) have memory problems that mean I will have to tell them over and over and over again once I start showing more than I can hide. Lyn has forgotten that Sarah and I are married, and often asks if she can set me up with her sons, so I have a feeling it's definitely going to be interesting.

MindiV
11-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Do any of you anticipate problems at work with your requested time off? I'm entitled to up to 12 weeks family leave, and I want to take six. Well, the new publisher is trying to say that my plan of taking my weeks unpaid is not going to work, and that I have to take all of my vacation and sick time first.

That's not what's in the handbook...it says people on family leave MAY choose to take vacation and sick time before going unpaid, but that sick leave people MUST take it. Since I'd be taking family leave, I fall under the MAY category.

So now I'm stressing out about what the heck is going on with my time off in the spring. And like Amanda, I'm also a key employee. They are literally talking hiring a full-time person to replace me for six weeks.

And on top of that, DH is whining about his job now. He hates it, but won't give it up for a job with less money. He makes GOOD money for what he does, and will never find a job making as much with the same circumstances (being home every night) that he has now. So he's taking it out on me and driving me INSANE complaining and doing nothing about anything.

butterflymama
11-15-2011, 08:55 PM
It still amazes me that people in America only get 6 weeks leave :( In Canada we get 12 mons. I seriously don't know how you guys do it.

justhamade
11-15-2011, 09:48 PM

Congrats.

Sakai
11-16-2011, 05:08 AM
It still amazes me that people in America only get 6 weeks leave :( In Canada we get 12 mons. I seriously don't know how you guys do it.

Yeah America is pretty far behind when it comes to that sort of thing. Though I think it's 12 weeks, Mindvi only wants to take 6. (because our time off is unpaid,(unless we use sick days and vacation, some famillies are not able to afford to take the whole 12 weeks.)

Hi! I know I'm a bit late to the thread. Due Mid june with my first. Still Unsure how/what we're going to do after the baby comes. We're about 100% sure we can't afford to keep this baby as we are right now. DF might go find a different job, but it's risky to give up a stable job for one that might not even be out there.

weight wise I gained 10 pounds but I haven't weighed myself this week. I'm a bit depressed that I gained so much when i'm only 8 weeks along. On the good side... the morning sickness seems to have died down. The only problem is the two hour nap I seem to need right in the middle of the day. (possible only on my weekends) I'm hoping to get back onto my vegitarian lifestyle now that I can stomach most veggies again ^.^

Gale02
11-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Hi! I know I'm a bit late to the thread. Due Mid june with my first. Still Unsure how/what we're going to do after the baby comes. We're about 100% sure we can't afford to keep this baby as we are right now. DF might go find a different job, but it's risky to give up a stable job for one that might not even be out there.

Honestly, babies aren't that expensive. If you can forgo most of the gear, they're pretty manageable. Especially if you have insurance to pay for the OB care and well baby checks. All you really need is a car seat and a place for baby to sleep. Some diapers (cloth is always an option. Less convenient, but WAY cheaper.), food is free if you breastfeed, and a few onesies. That's about it. The rest of it is pretty much gravy. Think about how the pioneers did it, they didn't have all of the fancy gadgets we have now and their kids were just fine. Do what you can with what you have, a loving home is what's most important! :)

butterflymama
11-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Honestly, babies aren't that expensive. If you can forgo most of the gear, they're pretty manageable. Especially if you have insurance to pay for the OB care and well baby checks. All you really need is a car seat and a place for baby to sleep. Some diapers (cloth is always an option. Less convenient, but WAY cheaper.), food is free if you breastfeed, and a few onesies. That's about it. The rest of it is pretty much gravy. Think about how the pioneers did it, they didn't have all of the fancy gadgets we have now and their kids were just fine. Do what you can with what you have, a loving home is what's most important! :)

I agree with this. I didn't have all the gadgets. I used cloth diapers that I washed myself, bought most of them used and you can find some great free pattern on how to make diapers and diaper covers. My car seat was a shower gift. I wore my baby, also some great free patterns on how to make a wrap or ring sling on line. Also you can find some great second hand clothing as babies tend to grow out of stuff before it wears out. Oh and when my DS was starting solids at 7 mons I did baby led weaning so would just give him hunks of real food like avocado, banana etc, never bought or used "baby food"

Oh and welcome and congrats :)

mandalinn82
11-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Sakai - WELCOME! And Congratulations!

Headache day 3.

mandalinn82
11-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Oh, and Mindi, I'm pretty sure that if your handbook says "may", you're good. But I'd talk to whoever handles your payroll/HR to be sure. Bring the handbook when you go in.

Annita
11-16-2011, 11:25 AM
just wanted to pop in and say congratz Sakai.
Now back to bed =.=" [i've been craving sleep like, all day]. I think I can sleep whole day without even feeling hungry. Weird.

MindiV
11-16-2011, 11:45 AM
We can take up to 12 weeks, but the new guy in charge is already freaking out at the prospect of me taking off six. I'll be lucky to make it that long.

The HR person said the company offers no short-term disability...she's checking on the unpaid time off. Keep your fingers crossed!

I haven't had a baby before, but I don't believe babies HAVE to be expensive. Sure the necessities cost money (especially diapers if you don't/can't use cloth)...but there's a lot of "stuff" out there that isn't necessary. We're also going to do some second-hand store, resale shop and garage sale shopping for some items...of course others, like car seats, carriers and beds, will be new.

Gale02
11-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Mindi - You have a legal right to 12 weeks per year of FMLA. They can require you to use your sick and vacation time before it goes to unpaid time off, though. Unfortunately, it's entirely up to company policy. I hope things go the way you want them to!

mandalinn82
11-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Told the boss and all is well.

I am just starving this week! Lots of snacks.

MindiV
11-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Yay for telling the boss! Knew it would all work out!

Sakai
11-18-2011, 03:47 AM
It's not that we can't afford baby stuff... we can't afford one income. My income goes to house and car payments so I have to work unless we want to be homeless @.@ I work full time overnight shift and can't afford the pay cut if I go to days. We would have to find a place that will take care of a baby at night. Unsure how much that would cost. We have no family able to care for a baby nor do we have friends. And honestly I don't believe in pawning my responsibility to friends or family. I want to be a stay at home mom at least till the baby gets old enough for school. That's how I was raised and how my DF was raised. It would be unfair for a child to only see their parents a few hours a day.

And to be honest...I never expected to have children. The idea of being responsible for a human for 18 years freaks me out. I'm hardly responsible for my dogs much less a human. Things are hard right now. My. DF's insurance is changing and taking a much larger chunk from his paycheck. We're saving as much as we can. We're both stressed and upset that things won't line up but we're dealing with it.

I'm afraid to tell my family. I'm keeping it a secret from all of my family until the first ultrasound. And i'm sure i'll only tell those who see me often. (Dad and one cousin) i'm also afraid of how my coworkers will treat me knowing i'm not keeping the baby.

But right now DF is looking for a job that has a income big enough that I can stay home for at least a few months. Then maybe if he gets a day job and i'm able to get my night job back, at least part time, then we can juggle the baby between the two of us.

Fingers crossed!

mandalinn82
11-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Fingers crossed for you, Sakai. I have to believe that no matter what happens, it happens for the best. Otherwise, I'd lose my mind.

Today I'm both cranky and hungry. I lifted weights yesterday, and even pre-preg that'd be enough to make me starved the next day. Combine it with the baby and wow, I could eat everything in my house. At least the headache is gone!

Countdown to "the big announcement" on Facebook - less than one week (we're announcing officially on Thanksgiving). Eeee!

Gale02
11-18-2011, 08:18 PM
We had our first ultrasound today. Baby looks like a gummy bear. :lol:

Sakai - So are you thinking about giving baby up for adoption? I hope you can get things figured out on the income front, I know it can be really tough. Being on opposite shifts is a hard but viable option. DH and I have done it and we have several friends that do it. You don't see each other much, but baby only has to go to daycare for a few hours per day.

Sakai
11-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Thanks Mandalinn, Gale.

A good friend of mine posted at the begining of the week on facebook that she's pregnant..she's 4 weeks further than me. Yesterday I finally saw her at work, comming in while I was leaving. I was happy, rushed to give her congrats, but she was so upset because she had cramps the night before and bled that morning. She was going to the doctor later that day and didn't even want to be at work.
Course I felt like a idiot for being the squealy, happy friend rushing up to her.
It's her first pregnacy, (that I know of) but she said that they knew it would be hard for her to carry a baby.
I didn't want to pry and ask why but I assume it's because she's naturally rail skinny (5'6" maybe 115-120 pounds...maybe) And she had a struggle to get weight on before trying for a baby. (but again I didn't ask for details.)
she did say that the blood was that old brown color, and not much of it and I always thought there was nothing to worry about unless it was bright red. But I'm not a doctor so I didn't say anything. She's mostly upset because at her ultrasound the week before they couldn't see a heartbeat but the doctor said the placenta was in the way and that's normal. she's worried she already lost the baby long ago and only now is her body clearing it out.

It's been two days and i haven't heard a word, nothing on facebook or on her wall. I haven't seen her at work, not that I feel comfortable asking "Well what happened?" I worry for her because she'll be so upset and depressed over it, she takes things so hard.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her that everything was fine.

butterflymama
11-19-2011, 12:14 AM
Mandalinn- Glad all went well telling your boss.

Sakai- I also have my fingers crossed that things workout the way you want. I am also sorry that your friend is going through a scary time.:( If she does have a loss the best you can do is offer your sympathy, some flowers, a card, an listening ear and your love. As a mother who has had 2 losses this is what is helpful and supportive.

Gale- Congrats on having a gummi bear :D

Going on Wed morning for our first ultrasound, I am excited and nervous, but staying positive that it is 1 big, strong, healthy baby!

bargoo
11-19-2011, 08:19 AM
Sakai. if you keep the baby and stay home for awhile you save commuting costs,, baby care, many costs concerned with working. Not trying to talk you into anything but you may be surprised after you have the baby how hard it will be to give the baby up. If prospective parents stopped to think of the anticipated expense the next 18 years, no one would ever have a baby. It all works out, somehow.

Gale02
11-19-2011, 11:34 AM
If prospective parents stopped to think of the anticipated expense the next 18 years, no one would ever have a baby.

:rofl: Truth!!

mandalinn82
11-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Hooray for your gummy bear, Gale!

Bought some maternity clothes today, including a coat (mine are not buttoning around the belly anymore!) and a few tops. Now I feel like I can go to Thanksgiving dinner wearing something other than my sweats. Cleaned the house, took a bath...ahhh. Tomorrow is Farmer's Market day, plus we are going BACK shopping to hit another really good sale (Old Navy, all sweaters 75% off from 12-5...today was coats, which is how I ended up with my new one). We are really trying to save money, so I'm trying to buy things that will work for maternity either on clearance or with coupons. My 90 dollar, knee-length, lined maternity coat cost me $22, so that was a win.

Sakai
11-19-2011, 10:39 PM
lol this is true.

Well My friend is posting on facebook again, not a word about the baby but she seems to be in her normal mood so I'm guessing everything went fine and she dosn't want to worry anyone by explaining. I think the only reason she told me was because I caught her in the middle of her breakdown.

weight down 2 pounds. I'm happy about that because of the near 10 pound jump up on the scale. now that I can eat like a normal person, my weight should be more stable.

I feel like I'm starting to show because my belly is sticking out a bit more, but it's the part above the belly button so I just look like I'm gaining my weight back. >.< Boo!

Butterflymama - Good luck on the first ultrasound!

keller237
11-20-2011, 02:40 PM
I feel out of the loop a little and was trying to read back. I keep getting horrid migraines that last for days. I go to my doctor on the 28th so i'm going to ask him if theres anything he can give me. Sleep, tylenol, heat and cold, doubling up on prenatals, drinking lots of water(which I've always done anyways) but everything he's suggested is just not helping them go away.

I'm also beginning to show now. I'll be in my 17th week tomorrow and my bf has been reminding me all week that my stomach is rounding out.(I still sleep on my stomach, so I keep telling myself it's not gonna happen because I don't want to have to sleep on my side!) I don't have the "announced" belly when I put on clothes and I can still wear my jeans, with the exception of a couple pairs I have to ponytail to button now. I'm trying not to buy maternity clothes. My sister is bigger than me and my boyfriend only wears shirts one size bigger so i've started sharing their shirts now. My boobs have grown 2 sizes and i'm a full DDD now= / And I don't have a bra that fits cup size. Ugh.

I'm trying to save money right now to buy a new car(Reason for not wanting to buy maternity clothes). Mine's a 95 grand am coupe. 2 door, Back seat is way too small. And it needs more work than worth fixing. I bought it in high school in 2007 so it's time to go.

On another note, I registered for my first college classes and start Jan 3. Super exciting!

Sakai- Glad to hear everything with your friend is okay. I also agree with these other ladies that having a baby isn't that expensive if you don't have the baby blues and want to buy everything. I know around here we have 5 baby consignment shops and they have super nice stuff for real cheap. If it even has a stain, most of them won't take it! It all looks brand new. Also, our dhhs has a list of care providers and many of them are in home day-cares that do provide care at night for very reasonable prices for those who don't have state assitance with day-care. Just some things you could check into if you do decide to keep the baby.

Gale- Yay for the gummy bear. First ultrasounds are soo precious and relieving!

Mandalinn- Glad telling the boss went well. Hope the annoucning goes well as well :)

Butterflymama- Good luck with the ultrasound. Hope all is well. Let us know how it goes!

mandalinn82
11-20-2011, 07:55 PM
I feel out of the loop a little and was trying to read back. I keep getting horrid migraines that last for days. I go to my doctor on the 28th so i'm going to ask him if theres anything he can give me. Sleep, tylenol, heat and cold, doubling up on prenatals, drinking lots of water(which I've always done anyways) but everything he's suggested is just not helping them go away.

My midwife recommended magnesium and it seemed to help a bit. Ask your doc if it would be a good idea for you.

keller237
11-20-2011, 10:18 PM
I think you were the one who mentioned that before. I did ask my nurse on call when i called to see if they had any other ideas and she said a side effect of a magnesium pill is abdominal cramping and they don't want me to take chances since I miscarried before and while im not a high risk pregnancy, they are taking more precautions since infertility and miscarrying runs in the family.

Gale02
11-20-2011, 10:48 PM
I'm also beginning to show now. I'll be in my 17th week tomorrow and my bf has been reminding me all week that my stomach is rounding out.(I still sleep on my stomach, so I keep telling myself it's not gonna happen because I don't want to have to sleep on my side!)

I'm a little jealous! ;) I am a stomach sleeper and it gets too painful for me at about 5-6 weeks. One thing that helps me stay on my side (because I will roll to my stomach in my sleep and wake up in excruciating pain) is my giant, u-shaped body pillow. It hems me in in front and in back and gives me something to put between my knees so my hips don't hurt from sleeping on my side. It's also fantastic back support later in the pregnancy. If you find you have a hard time staying on your side, I'd definitely give it a try.

Sakai
11-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Had a bit of a scare today. I started bleeding, but I have no cramps and it's not a lot and it's old and brown (TMI sorry) So I'm not too worried about it. I noticed it before I went to bed. it was enough to stain my underwear so I noticed it right away. I didn't freak out and just put on a pad and told DF about it. Went to sleep and woke up to find that It didn't even stain the pad so I'm pretty sure it's just normal.

My first ultrasound is Monday...they wrote me down for paperwork..@.@. I'm assuming this is medical paperwork? I didn't think to ask at the time...but am I supposed to bring anything to this appointment? info about inssurance or anything?

MindiV
11-22-2011, 08:14 PM
I'd take your insurance info for sure. I've heard of offices having pregnant women, especially first-time patients, go in ahead of the real appointment to get all the paperwork filled out.

keller237
11-23-2011, 12:42 AM
Gale- my sister has one and loves it but she said it was super expensive and wont give it up for me to borrow even though her baby is 6 weeks old! How much was yours and where did you get it? Moneys kinda tight right now with me and the bf with holidays here.

Sakai- it depends on your doctors office. My doctor wanted me to bring insurance card and picture id. The nurse did all the paper work and question asking about both my side and my bf's family. You could always call tomorrow or friday if they are open and ask. Im sure they wouldn't mind answering your questions!

Let the holiday meals begin :)

mandalinn82
11-23-2011, 12:57 AM
I would bring your insurance info as well. My first visit had all kinds of questions about me, my birth, the father's birth, and both of your medical histories (probably less an issue for you guys, but those were hard questions for me! Had to track down our donor paperwork and I still didn't have all the answers).

I am so glad to have a bit of my energy back. The first trimester was just awful in terms of exhaustion. I'm getting my workout mojo back and actually cooking dinner instead of making my wife do it.

butterflymama
11-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Just came back from my dating ultrasound and we saw one healthy very active baby measuring 11 weeks 1 day :) So my official due date is June 12th!So happy to be near the end of my first trimester, hoping the nausea and fatigue go away soon.

mandalinn82
11-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Hooray! You have to update that ticker!

I am trying not to panic about weight gain. I am eating 1800 calories a day and walking 4-7 miles a day (4 of it hills), plus strength training twice a week. Clearly, any gain is because my body needs to gain it for the baby. Too much time spent watching the scale in maintenance is making me not so happy to have gained 10 lbs by 15 weeks.

MindiV
11-23-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm in the same boat as Amanda...eating fine (not too much more than maintenance) and working out five days a week, and up 10 pounds at 14 weeks. :( But I also agree that if I'm doing everything right and still gaining, then it must be needed.

Just HARD to watch the scale climb!!!

Anyone else insanely thirsty recently? I'm at like 100 ounces of water a day, and water is all I want.

Sakai
11-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Still bleeding today. I'm working tonight so I'll be calling my Dr. in the morning if nothing changes or it get's worse. No cramping still so I'm not too worried.
I'll be sure to take all the insurance info that I can get a hold of. ^.^ Just in case. Normally I'll only have to flash my card but I've never been pregnant before so it might be different.
Butterflymama- Whoo! happy baby!
MindiV - I've been a little thirsty, but I found that drinking straight water kicks up my morning sickness. I always have to add some sort of flavor to it.

MindiV
11-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Happy Thanksgiving y'all! Make sure to feed that baby! ;)

butterflymama
11-24-2011, 08:52 AM
I have just recently started gaining weight and it is freaking me out a bit. I unfortunately have not been eating that healthy because healthy food makes me throw up (veggies mostly) The food that seems to settle my tummy the best is pretty junky food :( I really hope that the nausea ends soon so I can get back to my healthy eating plan and getting in some exercise.

I have been craving really cold ice water which when not pregnant never really drink ice water.

Saki - I am sorry to hear that you are still bleeding. My mother bleed monthly (when her period would normally occur) through pretty much the first 6 mons of her pregnancy with my sister. It's good you are not cramping. Please keep us posted.

Oh and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you in the USA. Enjoy your turkey (if you can) :)

Sakai
11-26-2011, 08:48 AM
So I talked to my friend at length yesterday.
It turns out that she did lose the baby. She took it better than I thought she would. (But then again it's been over a week) Turns out her baby died in the 8th week and when they did the altrasound at 12 weeks and couldn't find a heartbeat, they thought it was just because the placenta was in the way and blocking everything. finally at 12 and half weeks her body realized that the baby wasn't alive anymore. She had to take a week off of work (which I why i never saw her) and recover because it was so painful for her (physically painful)
But she seemed okay, and was already talking about trying again.

So I caved in and told her I was pregnant and that I had been bleeding. She was worried for me, but like me, because there is no pain, seemed to think that it's normal bleeding. I also told her about the idea of adoption and was very understanding because the only reason she was going to be able to keep her baby was because her mother demanded she get to take care of it when she had to work. otherwise she didn't know how it was going to work.

I feel better having told at least someone else about it.
Right now I'm just trying to stay calm until my monday appointment. The bleeding has tappered off a lot but it is still going. I have pain, but it's the pain I've been having this past month and a half. So it's kinda hard to tell. @.@

bargoo
11-26-2011, 12:46 PM
To all you ladies concerned about gaining weight. You will gain weight, the baby needs to be fed and nouished. You might be shocked at how much you will gain but you will lose it. Most of it at childbirth and you will be able to take care of any excess if there is any after baby is born. Don't go crazy with food and do not follow tht old wives tale of "eating for two" follow your doctor's advice about diet, but don't panic about gaining weight because you will. Good luck everybody.

jessy 49
11-26-2011, 09:19 PM
I have been craving really cold ice water which when not pregnant never really drink ice water :)

Are you sure you're getting enough iron? I had the ice water cravings when I was pregnant. It went on to an ice craving. Turned out I was very low in iron. To say nothing about the cracked tooth from chomping on the ice... :(

butterflymama
11-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Are you sure you're getting enough iron? I had the ice water cravings when I was pregnant. It went on to an ice craving. Turned out I was very low in iron. To say nothing about the cracked tooth from chomping on the ice... :(

Hmm interesting. I will check that out with my midwife. Cracked tooth is no fun :(

keller237
11-26-2011, 11:17 PM
Sakai- Sorry to hear about your friend at work. Glad she's taking it as well as possibble. Kudos to you for being supportive. It truly helps in those tough times. Let us know how the appointment goes. I agree with everybody that its good you're not cramping. My doctor told me it's completely normal for some women to bleed throughout the whole pregnancy, or at random times and as long as theirs no abdominal cramping, don't stress too much. Its our bodies way of doing what it needs to do.

Butterfly and Mindi- I am always craving Ice Water and i'm always thirsty. I drink at least a gallon and a half of water a day which is 192 ounces. I ALWAYS have a liter of water with me. But before I got pregnant, I probably drank a gallon a day.

Jessy- I've also heard it could mean lack of iron. Mine, however is in the normal range. I've heard it could be a sign of gestational diabetes so I am a little worried.

These dang headaches are dragging me down. I've had a migraine since Thursday :( I'm hoping my doctor can prescribe me something at my monthly appt on monday. I just want to curl up in a ball and cry.

5 weeks until I find out the gender. Soo close but so far away. We're both really excited!

Maybe TMI- But My nipples are dry and cracked and the hurt to even touch my bra. Lotion doesn't help. Vaseline only helps a little with the dryness. I didn't experience this with my first pregnancy. Do you ladies have this? Do you know any great ways to get rid of this problem? It's quite annoying. They hurt to even get close to water or to any touch.

I did go black friday shopping and got a killer deal on some nursery furniture. (60-85% off everything I bought.) Also, only gained 1.2 pounds this week- Off of 4 thanksgiving family dinners and no gym for the past two weeks due to my head killing. I felt like I gained 10! This is actually just the beginning of my gaining so I don't know whether to blame it on baby growing, eating or both LOL

MindiV
11-27-2011, 07:53 AM
I've been totally slacking with my water this weekend...hard to keep up with when you HATE the tap water in your town and rely on bottled. I mean, our water is GROSS.

Haven't been having headaches, but most of the time when I stand up after sitting for 10 minutes or lying down at all, my head will pound. It won't hurt until it does it for a while, but I can feel my heart beating in my chest and hear it in my ears really loudly. Anyone else have this?

Keller, I also did a bit of baby shopping. I happened to look online on Thanksgiving morning and found a Pack N Play/Bassinet combo on sale for $99, with free shipping. For only $107 dollars total (with tax) we got something we will be able to use for a long time!! I was excited...it's our first baby purchase!

butterflymama
11-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Sakai - I am sorry for your friends loss it is great that you are been a supportive friend and that you also were able to confide in her. Wishing you a great appointment tomorrow.

Keller- Migraines suck :( I hope you get some relief soon. Have you tried a bit of caffeine? This always helped with my migraines. As far as the nipples I did experience it a bit with my other two pregnancies (so far not with this one yet) and then I got it pretty bad once DS was born and I was nursing. I found that the Lanoish cream or lanolin really helped. Not fun having sore nipples.

My nausea is still raging and I am getting pretty fed up with it. I have my second midwife appointment tomorrow it will be blood work, maybe a pap, some more paperwork etc. I am going to turn down trying to hear the baby's HB with the doppler as I don't want to feel anxious if we can't hear it as I will be only 11 wks 6 days plus I saw a beautiful beating heart at my U/S on Wed. Have a great Sunday everyone!

mandalinn82
11-27-2011, 09:20 PM
I am having trouble getting a lot of water in because it's so darned cold! I can't drink cold things when it is this cold outside.

Spent all weekend on my feet for various reasons (cooking Thanksgiving dinner, cleaning up after said dinner, packing up and moving my grandpa to a higher level of assisted living care today, grocery shopping, etc). Now I am just COMPLETELY DRAINED. It's 6pm and I could go to sleep if I wasn't so hungry.

I'm driving down to LA this coming weekend to see Sarah's dad and his 2 month old twins. Kind of strange that our kids aunt and uncle will be 7 months older than him/her. Even stranger is the 29 year age gap between Sarah and her only siblings. Ah well, keeps things interesting! She flew down to meet them, but I haven't yet, so I'm excited.

keller237
11-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Appointment today went GREAT! Baby is measuring a little bigger than average and had a heartrate of 156 bpm. Find out the gender at my next appointment! So close yet so far! I was only 4 ounces heavier than 5 weeks ago! I thought I would have gained a few pounds.

Butterfly- Caffeiene actually makes them worse :( They told me to get some "extra strength" tylenol and try that if the regular tylenol isn't working. They said very last would be to prescribe me something with codiene or a pain killer in it, which I don't really want.

Mandalinn- Hope you got some rest last night, Sounds like you were extra busy this week. Enjoy your trip also =]

Nausea has returned and i'm eating like a bird again. This is no fun.

Sakai
11-28-2011, 11:39 PM
My appointment today went well. I was bummed because the altrasound was broken so I haveta wait another week to see the baby. But they were able to hear the heartbeat and they were surprised because they normally can't hear the heartbeat at 10 weeks. So that, plus the measurments of the uterus told the Dr. that I'm more like 16 weeks than 10...which is crazy!

I told my father and he seemed supportive of the idea of adoption and understands that babies are a big and hard responsibility.

On the down side my mother-in-law is very, very against adoption. Not that it will change anything. If she want's the baby she can adopt it, but I'm not going to put myself and my DF in a unstable place by not having enough $ to pay bills. I just bought this house, I'm not moving in with my dad. And I'm not pawing my baby on friends who have their own life, work the same shift i do...and might up and move/no longer be friends at any moment. I want my baby to have a stable and secure household and I can't offer that.

I've decided to go ahead and tell people that I'm pregnant and yes I am excited about it even if I'm placing my baby for adoption. I feel I'm be responsible in doing this and keeping this baby would only be greedy on my part. This is no longer about me but about my baby. He or she will be in a family where the parents have been waiting and wanting them, where they don't worry about bills, where he or she will have a parent raising them and not a stranger where they don't worry if they will have water or electricity next month. I can't offer any of this, and this is not good enough for my baby. People don't have to understand, it's not their baby, it's mine and I care about the quality of life he or she has.

ugh...drama
/rant

Keller237-Well done with the weight control! I'm going to try and keep my weight stable. I lost one pound from my last appointment 4 weeks ago. Are you eating the same as before?

I'm back to drinking straight water again. the Dr. told me I need to drink a gallon a day. @.@ When i was dieting this was pretty easy to reach. but my stomach's been squashed upward and I can't eat/drink as much. I'll have to sip all day long...meaning I'll be peeing all day long...which I guess is expected to happpen anyway lol

keller237
11-29-2011, 12:45 AM
Sakai- I'm a tad embarrased to say this, but my eating habits have gotten horrible. I've probably had fast food almost every day in the past week. Some of its salads, and "skinny" tacos and stuff like that but french fries have been my weakness. But I still did sit-ups and walked for the first almost 15 weeks, almost everyday, so it evened out. Being sick the first three months(and it decided to come back after a 3 week break) doesn't help but carbs is really all I can handle without throwing up. Doc said not to do sit ups anymore. something about it could tear something now that my uterus is bigger, and the headaches are keeping me from working out.

Also, I'm glad you have support with your adoption choice. Have you looked into families yet? Are you doing in state, or does it matter? Open, closed? Just wondering on what you've looked into. You are strong, and knowing you can't provide for your child and doing something about it beforehand is very impressive. I figure we don't have all the money in the world, but we do both have lagre supportive families who will help us. If not, adoption would also be my choice.

Gale02
11-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Hi ladies, sorry I've been MIA. Everything is ok, just lots going on. My therapist recommended that I start taking antidepressants, and I agree. On two tests I've taken my depression is rated as "severe." I don't love the idea of taking antidepressants while I'm pregnant, but it seems the lesser of the two evils at this point. I'm reading more and more studies about how depression can adversely effect an unborn baby. So, I have an appointment with my OB tomorrow to get things squared away. Hopefully I won't have such a hard time getting out of bed and changing the batteries in my thermostat won't reduce me to tears (true story.) I'm looking forward to looking forward to life again, if that makes any sense.

Keller - My body pillow is a permanent loan from a friend (she's done having babies, but reserves the right to ask for it back just in case.) Unfortunately, though, your sister is right about the price. They run about $80. Might be worth it though if you can get a good night's sleep. :) ETA: I just looked them up on Amazon and this is the one I have: http://tinyurl.com/7kxwa83 and it's only $60 there.

About the sore nipples, I had that with my first one. The Lansinoh nipple cream is the best stuff I've found, better than any other brand I've tried. I got it a little with my second, but since my babies are all so close together I still had the callouses from breastfeeding my first so it didn't hurt as bad. I'm hoping that's the case with this one, too!

mandalinn82
11-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Had a midwife appointment this morning, and I asked about my weight gain. She said I was "a bit ahead" of where they'd like to see me, and asked me to go through my daily diet, so I did. She said she understands my frustrations, because I am "doing everything right" (her words, not mine), but that probably I need to reduce my carbs in order to keep my gain on track.

I am eating 2000 cals a day and walking 4-7 miles, plus weight training 2x a week. I should not have gained 11 lbs in 16 weeks!

So the new move toward reducing carbs starts today. Grrr.

butterflymama
11-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Saki - I am glad you had a good appointment and got to hear the baby's HB. It is so amazing hearing it for the first time :) I Had a midwife appointment on Mon. but decided not to try to hear the baby's HB because I didn't want to get anxious if we couldn't hear it (we couldn't hear my sons at 13 weeks) Plus I saw it at the ultrasound the Wed before. We will have a listen at my next apt in 4 weeks :)

I have a very good friend who put her baby up for adoption a few years ago. I went through the whole pregnancy with her and was at the baby's birth and got to be at the hospital when the parents came to meet their baby for the first time. My friend got to choose who the parents for her baby would be and got to meet and interview them before hand. It was an open adoption and for the first few years after they would send photos and updates about the baby. It was emotional for my friend but she knew she could not provide for her baby at the time nor did she want to be a parent. She has never regretted giving her baby a home she couldn't give herself even though it was hard at the time. It was an amazing experience watching the adoptive parents meet their baby and hold her for the first time. It was pure joy on their faces and they were so thankful to my friend. We all cried and took pictures and smiled.

Keller- I am glad you had a great appointment! My DS always measured a bit big and still does to this day! He is always in the 90-95 percentile in heaight and weight.

Gale- I am sorry about your depression and that you may have to go on antidepressants but you are right sometimes you need to weigh out the risks and if you need the meds then that is what is best for you and baby. I too have dealt with depression/anxiety my whole life and I feel like it is creeping up on me again :( I also am sensitive to SAD.

Mandalinn- That is frustrating about your weight gain even though you are eating well and exercising. Not fair!

My eating has been horrible and I am so down about it. The nausea is really getting to me and I can only seem to eat crap and fruit (which is good) I can't exercise besides little walks and I feel so useless and blah. I want to get back on my eating plan and I want to have the energy to exercise. I had a midwife appointment on Mon. mostly blood work and such but she said my uterus was perfect :) Also that the ultrasound on Wed was great and everything looked good. Oh and I discussed my desire to have a VBA2C and my midwife said I could totally do it but that the best way to get a vaginal delivery is to grow a smaller baby then my DS (he was 9lbs 12 oz) and to get labour to spontaneously happen before 40 weeks. my midwife said that once the nausea is gone that I need to be really strict with my diet and to exercise every day and then at 36/37 weeks we will do everything we can to encourage natural labour like acupuncture, meditation, EPO, etc.

MindiV
11-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Just went to the dentist to have a filling. At my last checkup, when they found the cavity, they said it was small. But of course couldn't do any x-rays. Got to filling it today, and it was about 4 times bigger and deeper than expected. I thought they were gonna drill into my BRAIN. Got it filled, but said it may be in the pulp.

After appointments I'm numb for hours. So I'm STARVING because I missed a snack this afternoon and can't eat 'til I can feel my face. Oh, and then there's the fact that if they had to get into the pulp I'll have intense pain at some point soon, and a root canal without sedation (which I require for major procedures), painkillers or even gas. Lovely.

I'm terrified of the dentist.

keller237
11-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Mindi- My dentist will do an x-ray as long as you are passed the first trimester. I also just had one filled earlier this week, it was small like they said, but it was in my wisdom tooth so it hurt horribly =[ My dentist also does anestecia(sp?) and sedation when pregnant, again though, as long as you are out of the first trimester. Is it that your dentist won't do it at all? Have you asked?

Gale- I found a cheaper one at the walmart website. Instead of being a horseshoe, its the shape of a C. I'm gonna try that out. It had good reviews so i'm hoping it works as awesome as it sounds.

Butterfly- How old is your DS now? I'm just scared they keep telling me baby is bigger because I wanna do birth without epidural, and a big baby coming out just doesn't seem fun(Not that a small baby does either, but smaller seems better.)

Mandalinn- Glad your appointment went well =] Sucks about the weight, just keep doing everything you can.

My nurse just called me with the results of the 4 quad defect test. No defects were found =]

Gale02
11-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Keller - I've heard (but have no experience , mine were both 6.5 lbs) that bigger babies aren't necessarily more painful to birth. Their head size is still relatively the same. And really, all in all, it hurts like nothing else... unless you have pelvic issues that make it harder for the baby to pass through the birth canal, I wonder if you can tell small-ish variations in degrees of pain when it's that off the charts. Personally, I'm an epidural girl. ;) My last labor with a good epi was a pretty pleasant experience. The one before that, no epi, not so much. But, I also believe to each their own. :)

ETA: I just remembered that although my boys were small (like I said, 6.5lbs each) their heads were both in the 95th percentile. So maybe I do know what it feels like to birth a giant head, hahaha! :lol:

MindiV
11-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Keller, I haven't asked yet, just because I'm hoping the root canal doesn't have to happen!! :) I will if it does, though. Right now still numb from my eye to my jaw. It's getting worse instead of better. Starving and can't eat!

Sakai
11-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Keller237- Don't worry. I ate hoprrible for the first two weeks after I found out I was pregnant Because then I knew I had to eat something. (at the time I was only eating fruit because I was a veggitarian and the veggies made my morning sickness worse and I wasn't feeling up to carbs)
I'm eatting a bit better now. Still eatting meat and real milk. I know a healthy baby is possible on a veggitarian diet but I just don't have the ability with the stress right now to keep track of everything I need to.
I am thinking of a open adoption. I do want to pick the family and it makes me smile thinking about how happy they will be.

I am worried if I am 16 weeks and not 10...If I am 16 weeks then I did drink when I was pregnant..twice and once was really heavy drinking and I did get a x-ray at the dentist.

At the moment I'm dead set on not getting a epidural. The pain would have to be so bad that the threat of permanet spinal cord damage would no longer scare me...or the threat of the needle in the back. I can't handle needles. I refused a Flu shot at my first appointment and I nearly jumped off the table when they came to draw blood for all the tests. I never used to be so scared of needles. I was much better with them when I was younger but right now I would do anything to keep from getting them. I guess when the time comes we'll find out if i demand pain meds.

Right now I HAVE to exercise to some degree. I eat terrible on my weekends. On my work week I eat fine and i'm up and active for 9 hours. but on the weekend I nap on the sofa all day long and eat all the time. I must stop this. Even if it's just getting out and walking for a bit, something is better than it is right now.

keller237
12-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Spent half the night last night throwing up, and the other half tossing and turning uncomfortably. Needless to say, i'm extremely tired and still need to do dishes and pick up the apartment.

Eating today has been **** and again with the carbs, the only thing I could keep down was a double cheesburger. Bleck. I'm so sick of eating bad but everything else makes me sick.

Throwing my dad a surprise birthday party this weekend, and because it's at my place, I get all the joys of setting up, hosting and cleaning up for over 100 people. This shall be fun. Also, family from another state is coming in and they have no clue i'm pregnant so this should be fun always being the baby of the family to being a grown woman.

Sakai- I understand your fear with the drinking. I was sooo worried about it until I had my ultrasound and found I actually concieved three days after I had thought, which the whole week before I was on a drinking spree celebrating friends birthdays, trashed every night. My doctor said as long as it wasn't more than one or two nights, it's still a low chance of having any alcohol related defects. And X-Rays aren't to bad as long as they have the apron on, i believe it's lead? and there can be no harm done if it was covering your abdomen.

Gale- Mine already has a big head lol Me and my boyfriend both have large heads, and the head was measuring bigger also. Ha. If I get an epidural, fine. I just want to try to do it without it. It depends on the pain. I thought about a water birth because our hospital has whirlpool tubs which I think would be a great relief for pain.

fattymcfatty
12-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Just wanted to say "hi", am a newly preggo mama due August 3rd. This is my second baby. First one after losing 80lbs, though, should be interesting.

MindiV
12-03-2011, 07:02 AM
Oh my gosh my weight is out of control! I'm NOT eating too much....It's a habit, so I still count calories. In fact, I'm worried I'm not eating ENOUGH for being in my second trimester!! This morning, I hit the 16 pound mark! That's a pound for every week I've been pregnant for NO REASON! Coming into this I didn't have any problems....I maintained my weight of 140 pounds with 1,800 calories a day without an issue. I'm only eating 1,900 now. And gaining like crazy. 5 pounds this week alone.

My doctor wasn't worried at my last visit, but I go again in a couple of weeks. I'm going to make him listen to me. There's a huge family history of diabetes in my family, and I'm seriously worried now about gestational diabetes with the rate at which I'm gaining. :(

Sakai
12-04-2011, 09:07 PM
So today a coworker up on a ladder watched me walk by and went...
"Are you preggo?" (which always makes me think of pasta sauce.)
For one I was like 'crap I look like I'm pregnant.' another part of me was like 'Yay! I look like I'm pregnant and not fat!'
Two seconds later she was like...."that's a awkward question to ask someone.."
I guess she has a blurting problem lol.

My ultrasound is wednesday at 11:30 am - this is a bit of a issue...it's smack in the middle of my sleep. if it was much eairlier or much later then it wouldn't be so much of a problem, but it's almost right in the middle of the "Night" for me. The good news is that I'm off work tuesday so I won't be so tired that I can't stay up on wednesday morning. But I'll loose 4 hours or so of sleep I really, really need. I'm thinking of taking a personal day off...not sure if they will let me at work. But I'm thinking of saving it (I only have 3) for the OB appointment I have on a friday and 3:30 in the afternoon. (the only time they had open)
It really sucks to be pregnant on the night shift >.<

Also my back is starting to KILL me. I almost had to stop working last night because I just couldn't move. I took some painkillers (pregnancy legal) and it helped take the edge off. but it still terrified me that I won't be able to work much longer.

butterflymama
12-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Glad to see everyone is doing well aside from the headaches, nausea, vomiting and backaches :)

As for me I think I am developing gestational diabetes already :( My eating has been pretty bad the last few weeks and very high in carbs which has been what I can keep down and actually want to eat. Anyway I have been testing my blood sugars randomly and my fasting have been fine but last week I got a few higher readings 2 hours after eating pretty high carb meals. I am upset by this but know the steps I need to take in trying to control it. I am taking heart that my blood sugars were not high during the critical development times (5-8weeks) but I still worry. I am going to start tracking my food intake again starting today and am really trying to eat low carb. I started taking a b-complex which is supposed to help with the nausea and your body breaking down carbs so I am hoping this will help.

Last night I had a hard time falling back asleep because I have been worried about the baby. I do feel the occasional flutter and bump but it is not daily yet or with any consistency so when i don't feel anything for awhile I start to get nervous. I can not wait till movement is stronger and more consistent. Using my mantra a lot these past few days and really trying to stay positive. :dizzy:

Hope everyone has a great week. Looking forward to your update Sakai after your ultrasound.

MindiV
12-05-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm still feeling no movement...I want something to MOVE already!!!

mandalinn82
12-06-2011, 12:19 AM
First off, :wave: to FattymcFatty (although even typing your username makes me sad! From now on, I'll refer to you as MamaMcPreggo!). Where in NorCal are you?

Mindi - as much as I hate it, cutting the carbs back really moderated my weight gain, at least so far. And I'm not nearly as hungry! I'm trying to only eat starches at meals, in moderate amounts, and keep my snacks and breakfast protein-heavy. I feel your pain, though...before I started watching what I was doing with the protein/carb balance, I was up 13 lbs in the same amount of time you have.

Sakai - I'm convinced I still look just fat. There's a "bump" that I can see, but I've seen enough non-pregnant bodies with fat in the same place my bump is that I don't think it can possibly be that obvious to anyone who doesn't know. I can't imagine being on the night shift...hang in there!

Butterfly - sometimes if you don't eat ENOUGH, your blood sugar can get wonky. That doesn't mean that in the second trimester, when you can eat a little more and you have less aversion going on, your sugars will still be abnormal. So just do the best you can!

As for me, I'm going to a 2D ultrasound at one of those 3D/4D centers tomorrow to try to get a gender. Normally I'd wait for my 20 week, but we REALLY wanted to do some sort of cute gender announcement to the grandparents on Christmas, which means we need to know BEFORE then, and I couldn't get in for that 20 week anatomy scan until Jan 3. So we're hoping to find out tomorrow whether we have a boy or a girl in there.

Spent this past weekend at my FIL's house...they just had twins via surrogate, so I got my fill of baby cuddles (and diaper changing practice!). OK, it's a little strange that my kid's aunt and uncle will be only 7 months older, BUT we got SO MANY HAND ME DOWNS. All of their newborn clothes, a perfect swing, a completely unused 350 dollar breast pump...so there are perks!

keller237
12-06-2011, 01:03 AM
Mandalinn- I'm a tad jealous if you can find out the gender tomorrow. My appointment is also on Jan 3rd, in my 23rd week. I'm so anxious. I just want to go shopping already! Originally I was going to send out christmas cards announcing the pregnancy, but they couldn't get me in before christmas either :(

Mindi- I've only felt baby move twice and i'm 18 1/2 weeks. Once in my 15th week during a super scary part in a moving, I think I startled baby by my heart beating extra fast and me jumping and screaming. And once when I was sleeping in my 17th week. I wish I had movement too! I know there's a heartbeat but I'm always just so nervous and baby moving would make me feel SOOOO much better.

Fatty- Welcome =] My best friend is due on August 3rd as well. When do you get your first ultrasound?

Sakai- Can't wait to hear about the ultrasound. Soo exciting!

My stomach is officially hard all the time, and you can see a little "bump" versus my fat. I think I just look fat but people keep telling me it's rounder. Headaches haven't been too bad this week. I also figured out when I take my prenatals at night, or right after I've eaten, it's much less likely to give me afternoon/evening sickness or headaches. Have been super hungry this week though, I feel like i could eat out a whole grocery store. I've also slept really well for the past couple nights. I think it's been because I was soo exhausted but it was well needed.

The surprise party for my dad went well. I haven't seen him so happy in such a long time. My family wasn't pushy on me, surprisingly, rather supportive and happy for me. They weren't too happy when they found out last year so I figured it wouldn't be much better this time around.

mandalinn82
12-06-2011, 01:54 AM
It should be far enough along that we can tell, it's just a question of whether the little munchkin gets into position. It's 65 dollars for the 2D package, but we're OK throwing some money at this problem to get an answer!

I have a gigantic headache and have for two days. I think it's my shoulder and neck acting up and shooting up into my head. The 8 hour roadtrip, each way, did a number on me.

MindiV
12-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Good luck on the ultrasound Amanda!!! Hope that little one cooperates!

I'm just weighing myself once a week now. This up and down every day was driving me nuts. From Monday last week to Monday this week I had no change at all in my weight. So I'm sticking with that. Not worried about it just yet, since I've gained so much so far. Just gonna keep adding some calories in (healthy calories of course) and see what the doctor says next week.

My stomach is harder at night. Actually, in the morning I'm nearly as flat as before I got pregnant (just a little wider!). At night, I've got a definite bump going, and I can put my hands on either side of it and it feels hard. Guess I'm just preggo at night!

mandalinn82
12-06-2011, 07:25 PM
So we did have a cooperative little... BOY!

I'm thrilled. I had a feeling all along that the baby would be a he, but there was NO mistaking it on the ultrasound. Everything looked good, heartbeat was fabulous, and we got lots of pictures (including a few previews in 3D).

keller237
12-07-2011, 04:28 AM
Mandalinn- so excited for you! Glad you could find out the gender and that he's healthy.

Its 330 am. I can't get comfy for some odd reason tonight, have a horrible backache and feel like throwing up. I've also got a cold and horrid cough now and am getting sicker so its hard to breathe when laying. How I love 12 degree weather... not.

Tis gonna be a long day.

Ky30
12-07-2011, 10:32 AM
So we did have a cooperative little... BOY!

I'm thrilled. I had a feeling all along that the baby would be a he, but there was NO mistaking it on the ultrasound. Everything looked good, heartbeat was fabulous, and we got lots of pictures (including a few previews in 3D).

Congrats on finding out its a Boy :). Ive been reading threw your ladies post but not part of this group I am due in the Winter Feb. but it gets kinda boring over in the weight check in lol. Looking forward to you other ladies finding out what you are having its coming soon for you guys. I have around 7 to 10 weeks before I met my little man I cant wait :carrot:

mandalinn82
12-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Hey Ky! Congrats!

I'm getting punished for my relatively easy first trimester with some crazy symptoms now! First, the headaches have escalated and are now maybe happening twice as much. Second, I have this rash on my calves that randomly appears and itches like my skin is on fire...no idea what that is about. Third, it appears the loosening of the pelvic joints has caused either sciatica (not as likely this early) or pelvic girdle pain, which hurts right under my left glute. I'm a little uncomfortable this week!

butterflymama
12-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Mandalinn - Congrats on the boy!!! Boys are fun, I love being a mama to my sweet boy :) Sorry about the crazy headache, rash and sciatica.

Keller- Having a cold when pregnant really sucks :( Sending you healing vibes.

Sakai- thinking of you today and having your ultrasound.

As for me my nausea is a little less then it has been which is good. Been getting the odd mild headache but not too bad. Also my blood sugars have not been pretty good this week so I am feeling a bit better about that. Waiting to hear back from the midwife clinic about when my next apt will be, supposed to be in 3 weeks but I guess it may be in the new year. Oh and I have been feeling much more flutters and bumps the last 2 days :D

Ok wishing everyone a happy healthy symptom free week :) Hopefully we will all be feeling our little ones a lot more in the next few weeks!

Sakai
12-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Mandalinn82- Congrats on having a boy! What cute way are you gonna announce it?

As for me....My appointment got moved to NEXT wednesday. Arg!! i don't wann wait any longer!!!
The good news is that because it was pushed back a week my DF and I were able to take the day off so we won't be dead at work that night. (bad news is that my manager wants us to work on one of our days off to make up for it. I'm NOT looking forward to a 6 day work week when I can just pull 5) Df grumbled but agreed to work an extra day and I said I would if my body let me. so we'll see if my manager understands.

Feeling lots of twinges and pains in strange places on my belly now. Not sure what it is. sleep is getting hard as I will get this MASSIVE pain on my back by my right kidney if I'm not sleeping on my left side. WTF is going on with that @.@ then I'm hot, then cold, dying of heat, freezing my buns off...
I will never have normal sleepp again -.-

also...Dear Mother-in-law let it slip on my facebook page about my being pregnant and my wall expolded with people demanding to know if it was true, when i was due and 'So Happy's' and 'congrats!' ect...ect....
I don't think she ment to do it. But DF thinks she did because she is very...very against the addoption.
So now I have to figure out how I'm going to tell all these people my plans...or if I should have to let them in on my buisness. I want to be firm but not *****y as I've already had two coworkers trying their hardest to talk me out of it and I don't want friends and family doing the same.

mandalinn82
12-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Sakai - wow, to me that is a total invasion of your privacy. Sorry that it got revealed before you were ready. If your MIL was trying to somehow interfere with your adoption plans by posting, the best way to sort of take that power back would be to respond to the FB well-wishers with a note that says "Thanks, we are planning on finding a family who can adopt this child". That way, you take the control over your plans back. But I totally understand if you're not ready to do that. Tough position!

We got cute little coffee mugs for people that say things like "My Grandson Loves Me" and "My Nephew Loves His Aunt Alicia", and we're wrapping them up and giving them for Christmas. They're nice heavy white mugs with baby blue interiors. I may fill them with some kind of "It's a boy" type candy, or even homemade candy, before I wrap them up.

MindiV
12-08-2011, 12:38 PM
My appointment is on Wednesday next week too, Sakai! I can't wait...but DH probably won't be able to go with me, unfortunately. :( Gonna go it alone. And hopefully schedule my 18 week ultrasound for sometime between the 19th and 23rd!

Cute Christmas reveal ideas, Amanda!!

keller237
12-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Mindi- That sucks he can't make it. I feel you there though, i've beeb to all of my appointments alone so far. I tell him he's welcome to go anytime but he works two jobs and is always tired and sleeps when he can. He will be going to the anatomy ultrasound and i'm pysched about that =]

Manda- Super cute idea. LOVE it!

Sakai- Sorry about your appointment getting pushed back, but baby will be a week bigger next week, thats always what helped me wait it out. Sorry about your mother-in-law announcing your pregnancy. I agree with Manda- Take the control back by saying something about adoption. If not, not saying anything is another option until you're ready. Don't let anybody talk you into changing your mind, Make the best decision for you, the dad and baby. You guys know what's best for your child.

Made it to the gym yesterday. Got a mile and a half and weights.

Today was a VERY BAD day. My soon to be mother in law tried to commit suicide because she's super depressed. Cops found and stopped her in the process. Something so stressful that none of us need to deal with at this point. She's getting help and in the hospital. One of the younger sons moved in with us until babys here, then he'll be old enough to get his own place, the other will be staying with us until she's out and better. Nobody knows how long that will be so we just gotta deal with it. They say it gets worse before its gets better but everything lately just seems downhill with our families.

26 days! I'm counting down til my next ultrasound lol

MindiV
12-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Keller, just remember to BREATHE through the stress! Sorry you're going through all that, and hope your MIL-to-be gets the help she needs!

DH got to go to one doctor's appointment with me, but had to be back at work before the sonogram. He hasn't seen the baby on the sono in person OR heard the heartbeat yet!! :( I really hope he can make the Christmas ultrasound...

Sakai
12-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Keller- egads, that's rough for you to have to deal with right now. But at least things turned out okay and your MIL is getting what she needs.

Mandalinn- Cute! I love that idea!

MindiV- True. And if I'm as far as my Dr. thinks I am then they might be able to tell me the sex of the baby. we'll both have news here next wednesday ^.^

Would anyone happen to know if it's okay to take melatonin to help get to sleep? we asked at the dr. office and they didn't really know. We looked it up online and it was 50-50..some said yes, some said no.
I really need to get some sleep, it's stupid how horrible my sleep has been. the past two nights I've taken a 1.5 mg melatonin(sp) and it's helped me get into that deeper sleep that I haven't been able to get to for the past two months. I don't feel drowsy or anything like that when I wake up. really it wears off about halfway through the night when I have to get up to go to the bathroom.

Ky30
12-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Hey Ky! Congrats!

I'm getting punished for my relatively easy first trimester with some crazy symptoms now! First, the headaches have escalated and are now maybe happening twice as much. Second, I have this rash on my calves that randomly appears and itches like my skin is on fire...no idea what that is about. Third, it appears the loosening of the pelvic joints has caused either sciatica (not as likely this early) or pelvic girdle pain, which hurts right under my left glute. I'm a little uncomfortable this week!

Thanks! Sorry you are having a rough time. I had a scare Thursday started having contractions had to go to docs office and be hooked up to montiors and indeed I was so he checked me I wasnt pregressing which is good i was only 30 weeks at the time he sent me home to rest and drink tons of water they stopped after downing a ton of water must of been dehydrated even thou I drink 10 to 12 cups of water a day he now wants me drinking more water uhhhhh. So ladies make sure you drink up your water everyday.

Gale02
12-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Would anyone happen to know if it's okay to take melatonin to help get to sleep? we asked at the dr. office and they didn't really know. We looked it up online and it was 50-50..some said yes, some said no.
I really need to get some sleep, it's stupid how horrible my sleep has been. the past two nights I've taken a 1.5 mg melatonin(sp) and it's helped me get into that deeper sleep that I haven't been able to get to for the past two months. I don't feel drowsy or anything like that when I wake up. really it wears off about halfway through the night when I have to get up to go to the bathroom.

This is from mayoclinic.com: Pregnancy and Breastfeeding Melatonin supplementation should be avoided in women who are pregnant or attempting to become pregnant, based on possible hormonal effects. High levels of melatonin during pregnancy may increase the risk of developmental disorders. In animal studies, melatonin was detected in breast milk and therefore should be avoided during breastfeeding. In men, decreased sperm motility and decreased sperm count are reported with the use of melatonin.

Some Doctors say it's ok though, so I don't know. :dunno:

MindiV
12-10-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm getting REALLY frustrated with my family. It's like nobody remembers or cares that I'm pregnant. On my side of the family, I've had literally ONE of nine close family members, who I see regularly, even bother to ASK how the baby and I are doing since I told them I was pregnant months ago. My dad hasn't asked once, and neither has my sister, brother, his wife or two of their three kids. On DH's side, his sister is the only one who cares. Even DH acts like nothing's going on.

It's just really frustrating. Or I'm really emotional today.

But literally, here in town, I have total strangers who've heard I'm pregnant come up and ask me how I'm doing, how the baby is, if we know the gender, when I'm due...several of them are genuinely excited that I'm pregnant.

But my own family? Not at all. :(

Sakai
12-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Mindiv- that can be hard. I assume it because your not showing as much yet? so it not really real to them? Not sure why family or DH for that matter wouldn't at least ask how the pregnacy is going.

Gale- yeah we read that too. I decided to only take it when I'm really falling behind in my sleep. ^.^ maybe once or twice a week.

(long story)
So I had my first major hormonal (sp) meltdown yesterday. I was at work eatting lunch and messing with my phone when I suddenly notice that I have a voice mail from who knows when. Well I it was my grandmother asking me to call her but she sounded so sad. most likely she was just tried or not feeling well or unsure what to say on the voice mail but to me it sounded like she was lonely and dissapointed that I didn't pick up the phone.
So I burst into tears,...in the middle of the break room in front of half my coworkers. DF (freaking out that the voice mail was bad news) Snatched me and lead me (blind with tears) out into the hallway where I could bawl on his shoulder with a bit more privacy.

he called down once he realized that nothing was really wrong and that it was just my emotions going nuts. Of course during this time when I was weepingly trying to explain my feelings, it was luch time for the OTHER half of my coworkers. so they were all clocking out in the same hall and seeing us down at the other end and THEY started worrying.

So THEN comes the Co-manager and nearly pulls us into his office and says to stay there until we could deal with our problem and take our time and let him know if he could help (he knew i was pregnent) he wanted us to have some privacy.

@.@ normally I would of just felt bad for missing the call but last night it was the most depressing thing I ever heard and i just couldn't stop the tears.

at the end of the day I get home and wait for 8 in the morning and call my grandmother. She sounded fine and said she left a voice mail around thanksgiving. And that it was spooky that it just showed up on my pphone last night. So she was fine.
So since I had her on the phone i told her about being pregnant because it got out of facebook and I didn't want another family member to tell her before I could explain myself. So i told her about needing the ultrasound before wanting to tell but that DF mother leaked it out and i'm not sure how far along I am yet and about the adoption.

I gave her my reasons and she seemed to understand but didn't want the baby to leave the family and said she would take the baby. but would talk about it more after my ultra-spound on wednesday
@.@
Now I respect my grandmother and it was hard to tell her that I'm not comfortable with that. But I'll let her know on wednesday. She's getting up there in years (really I have no idea but she must be into her 80's) She's retiring from work in a few months and she'll have the time to be with baby but kids are hard...teenagers are hard, and what if something happens and she can't take care of baby anymore, what will happen then? I don't want this baby passed around from one family member to another knowing that it's parents are right here but can't/won't take them.
I want my baby to have both a mother and father, and they are juat waiting for someone to pick them to be parents. I don't want my grandmother to take this sort of responsibility in her advanced years it dosn't seem fair to her or to the baby.

DF is sure that family on both sides are trying to guilt trip us into keeping this baby. He feels they should just accept it as our choice and not butt in. I tell him that it's hard for them because this isn't a normal thing for people to do (giving up their baby) and it's his mother's first grandbaby and my grandmothers great-grandbaby (though not her first) and it's hard for them to think that someone is gonna take the baby away when it's born.

Sometimes I wish I just kept this whole pregnant thing a secret. -.-

keller237
12-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Mindi- Sorry about your family not supporting you. This is a tough time to not have support. I agree that maybe once you get bigger they'll be more into it. My parent didn't even acknowledge I was pregnant until last weekend when somebody asked my dad how many grandchildren he has. I hope you get support from your family soon. If not, you still have all of us ladies :]

Sakai- My ob-gyn said he won't give out sleeping pills because if you take them on a regular basis, it can actually cause the baby to ahve an addiction in utero. He said if anything, Ambien and Diphenhydramine(Active ingredient in benadryl but also main ingredient in many other generic sleeping aids) are the safest because they're class b pills. I googled Melatonin and thats a class C drug. If you don't know "classes", A- studies have found no posed risk to fetus in pregnancy, B- Studies have been done on pregnant animals and considered safe, but not humans. C- Studies have been done on animals and shown adverse effects in some fetuses but no studies on humans. It's up to you and you know your body better than anybody else, but personally, i would only take a class A or B medication.

No news with MIL yet other then she will be staying for extended period of time, rather than being released today after the minimum three day period. I also found out today that his pregnant sister (whom neither me nor him can personally stand but aside from the fact) tried to commit suicide herself and overdosed on thursday afternoon after reading their moms suicide note. She didn't know her mom was found in the process and is still alive apparently. Shes not my stress but that just means that the younger boys have to stay with me until both of them(daughter lives with MIL) are stable. I don't mind them being here because I know it's the safest place and the only way they can get to school and work safely.

It just annoys me because now living with three guys in a two bedroom apartment, theres always dishes, clothes, blankets, etc laying around and i'm constantly telling them to pick up after themselves. I mean I had to tell his 12 year old brother to take a shower today. He hasn't had one since Wed! I feel like I have to be a keeper of all of them and it's so frustrating. I don't mind cooking extra food or buying it even, its just annoying to be a "mom" to three grown kids and sometimes his 4 year old nephew as well when my child isn't even born yet. And the 12 year old snoops through all my stuff. Not that I have anything to hide but seriously? UGGGH.

Sorry, i'm just on a rant. I've been extra annoyed this weekend. The bf had off work from both jobs- and slept the whole time. every time I woke him up, he was grumpy and would complain until I would leave him alone. He gets literally one or two days off a month from both jobs- and sleeps 18 hours a damn day. So frustrating.

Back to work tomorrow. I've been off since Thursday when all of this went down. I'm hoping for a much better week this week!

bargoo
12-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Sakai. I doubt if your grandmother is 80 if she is just thinking of retiring. Many children have been raised by grandparents or aunts and uncles and turned out just fine. The reason your family members appear to be against the adoption is, although this is your baby it is also their flesh and blood that is why it is hard for them to accept.

Emme
12-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Hi ladies...well, I guess I am going to officially join you! I have been lurking for the past few weeks reading all of your posts, but I am officially 5 weeks pregnant today, so I figured now is as good a time as any to join you!

This is my first pregnancy and I lost my last 30 pounds to get healthy for a pregnancy, so I am very excited. My first prenatal appointment is December 22nd. I can hardly wait. It seems like this is going to be a forever journey. Plus, it is still so early that it feels like anything could happen at any time, but I know that is true with any pregnancy. When I first found out I was pregnant, I was a maniac on Google and search engines and I got into an immediate "worry" mode, but I'm much better now and I'm just enjoying each day.

I am looking forward to sharing thoughts/feelings/adventures with you all on this incredible journey. :)

Gale02
12-12-2011, 12:05 PM
I just wanted to tell someone: SECOND TRIMESTER! Woohoo!! :D

mandalinn82
12-12-2011, 12:24 PM
WOOHOO Gale! Hooray!

Emme - WELCOME! Congratulations!

Sakai and Keller - you are both dealing with so much! Sending you lots of good vibes to get through the crazy family situations and hormonal meltdowns.

mandalinn82
12-14-2011, 01:07 AM
Prenatal yoga is AWESOME. I was stiffer than I realized until I let myself really stretch out. Of course, now I lifted weights this afternoon, so I know that tomorrow I'll be stiff and sore again. Hopefully I'll have time for another quick session!

Sakai and Mindi - good luck with your doc appts tomorrow!

As for me, the rash is gone (woohoo! No idea what that was about but SO GLAD I am not scratching myself raw anymore), but the under-one-butt-cheek-pain remains.

Emme
12-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Gale ~ Congrats on the 2nd trimester!! How exciting. I have a loooong way to go before I get there.

Sakai & Mindi ~ I hope you have great appointments today! :)

Keller ~ I hope it has been a better week for you. My best guy friend committed suicide almost five years ago, so I can empathize, and I am praying that your MIL and SIL get the help they need after their attempts.

Mandalinn ~ Ooh, yoga...I love yoga so much. It is offered free on Thursdays where I work, but I obviously don't want to tell anyone yet that I am pregnant, so I am hoping I'll still be able to do most of the poses until I'm over my first trimester...then I'll tell the people in the class that I work with as well as the instructor so she can help me modify poses if needed. It's such a great release, though.

I feel like absolute crap today. I didn't sleep well Monday night or last night, so I am thinking it's a mix of lack of sleep and a touch of all-day morning sickness. I don't get it to the point of throwing up, but I get the all-day-every-day ick feeling and it seems magnified today. I hope it's a quick day.

MindiV
12-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Doctor in 20 minutes! Hopefully I'll get to hear a good, strong heartbeat and set up my ultrasound for next week. Shooting for Monday afternoon or Thursday anytime during the day, since DH will be off that day for his company Christmas party. REALLY hoping for Monday so I don't have to wait too long...but at the same time kinda hoping for Thursday because it's closer to Christmas and there are fewer days to wait!

keller237
12-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Things are definitely not as wild this week and its gone smoothly so far for me. Only four hours of work tomorrow then off til monday. Get off at 8:30 tonight so not to shabby.

They are talking about a release date for his mom because she isn't cooperating(go figure) but it won't be a long term stay like was suggested. I do know his family is on the outs with him. They are all pissed his brother moved in with us until he can get his own apartment because "its not a good time in his moms life to deal with it". The only thing his mom told him though was "thanks for letting him move out, now I have no income." Because she had been making him pay the remainder of the rent by taking his paychecks and debit card since she QUIT her job. Pathetic! Nothing about the fact that he's in a safe place or acknowledging that HE is of age and chose to leave. So his family is now saying that's my boyrfriends not "grown" enough to take care of himself(or a child.) I just wanna slap them all UGH

20 days until I find out the gender. So close yet so far away. I just wanna know NOW! I can feel baby move when I sleep now. It's some sharp kicks to. I'll be like damn this still hurts like 5 minutes later, but only when i'm trying to sleep.

I start school in 21 days as well. Heres to the next 4 years of my life! Never realized how expensive books are. over 500$ for three books.

Mindi, Sakai- How did the appointments go?

Gale- The sweetest feeling is being out of the first trimester. YAY for you =]

Emme- Werlcome! Sorry to hear about your best friend. I wish people would understand suicide isn't the answer. His family all find it as the easy way out if their problems. How far are you? I don't think I caught that.

Manda- Glad the rash is gone!

Emme
12-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Emme- How far are you? I don't think I caught that.

I'm 5w2d. It's still super early and I was very hesitant about joining this group since I'm still in my first trimester, but I figured that anything can happen at any time during a pregnancy, so I am just going to enjoy it! :)

MindiV
12-15-2011, 09:39 AM
The appointment went great! Uneventful. He took a few minutes to find the heartbeat, but finally found it. Baby was hanging out by my right hip! Didn't get a rate on it, but it was strong and he said it sounded good and steady. We set up my gender/anatomy sonogram for next Friday, which works great with my Christmas plan AND my husband can be there!!

Sakai
12-15-2011, 09:46 AM
I got baby pictures!
So they said I'm at 14 weeks 4 days (as of today)
So at my first apppoitment (when we all thought I was 10 weeks.) I was really 12 and not late 15 like the Dr. thought. There was no twin that didn't make it or anything like that. I guess my body is just a bit more different than the normal.
I also felt the baby move for the first time last night. after i got up from sleeping I get sharp pains on my right side, and I found out at the apppoitment that the baby is kicking back on my right I set a hand on my belly and pressed a little and a moment later a felt the baby kick against one fingertip. I was super amazing and a bit creepy all at the same time. DF was laughing at the shocked face i made.

I talked with my grandmother and she still wasn't happy about not keeping the baby in the family but accepted it. She had a good friend who's daughter wants to adopt a girl and I think the idea was a bit easier for her to accept knowing "normal" people adopt children. i know it was a hint for me that if my baby was a girl I might think about giving it to her. I'm not sure how I feel about it until I learn more.
I also finally took back control and posted on facebook the plans for the adpotion. I didn't go into any details. I stated that facebook was not a place for that and that they all knew how to get ahold of me if they had questions. i said i didn't expect anyone to support or agree with DF and I but I expected them to have respect in our choice. And we still have no problems talking about the baby or the adoption to anyone. so hopefully things will go alright.

I feel SO much better having told everyone in my life about this. I've been holding it in for so long and feling so guilty about it. at this point, I really wouldn't mind if they were all upset about it, I'm just glad I don't have to hold it in anymore.

Mindi- can't wait to hear how the appointment went. I thought about you!
{edit} Mindi- LOL I was a bit late to see your post ^.^ glad everything went great! Mine is hanging out by my right hip as well.

butterflymama
12-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Mindi and Sakai - Glad you both had good appointments!

Sakai - We are really close I am 14w2d today. Glad you took back control on facebook and that your g-ma is coming around.

Mandalinn - Prenatal yoga is awesome. I love doing yoga pregnant even more then not pregnant. I need to see if I can find free or cheap classes. I used to go to classes when pg with my DD and DS but can'y afford that place now. I so need to exercise!

Keller- glad to hear things are not as wild this week. You sound like you have a lot on your plate.

Emme - Welcome. Enjoy your pg day by day that is what I do.

My nausea seems to be getting better and I actually was able to eat some veggies this week. I am not as exhausted either which is good. My DS had some kinda stomach flu earlier this week so I am really hopping I don't get it. Every year around this time DS gets a stomach thing and then I usually get it a few days later. I have been feeling baby tickle me almost daily but it is still so light, can not wait for those nice big kicks and wiggles oh and the hiccups :)

MindiV
12-15-2011, 10:37 AM
I also enjoy yoga...did it for a while, then stopped in favor of some other stuff. Started again today. It's CRAZY how bad my balance is getting already!

keller237
12-15-2011, 11:11 PM
So I am officially ENGAGED! :) He gave me a beautiful ring today! Sooo happy!

Sakai- Glad your appointment went well and you got pictures. Timing all just depends on ovulation and is hard to pinpoint the exact time. Exciting for the baby moving! Those sharp kicks get sharper! Do you know when you will find out gender? Or do you have to set up an appointment a week or two before? Always glad to hear you have control back and that your grandma is slowly coming to terms.

Mindi- Glad your appointment went well. jealous you get to find out the gender next week. Lol. I'm just tired of waiting and jealous all of you know/ are finding out when your 16-19ish weeks and I have to wait til my 23rd week. Whats your christmas plan?

I've never done yoga. I must really be missing out, but I have no balance. I've ran into the same wall twice today lol I also haven't slept in the last two nights as i've had my 3 month old nephew while my sister works. Hello sleep tonight!

Emme- Still way early but enjoy it everyday. I was on edge until I was 12weeks2days and got my first ultrasound, for the simple fact that I miscarried at 13 weeks last time. Wishing you well throughout your pregnancy. Is this your first or do you have other kids?

MindiV
12-16-2011, 08:29 AM
Congrats, Keller!!!

You sound like me, with the balance. Oddly enough yoga seems to help when I do it regularly. Just start with a beginners program...I like the ones on ExerciseTV.com. They're free!

I'm so impatient! I'm also a member of another message board where all of us preggo women due in May talk...and I'm the last one to know the gender!!

Our Christmas plan is just to be surprised on Christmas Day. We're going to have the guy doing the sonogram write down "it's a boy" or "it's a girl" on a card and seal it up in an envelope, then hang it on the tree and open it Christmas morning. Hopefully we can stand it that long! It's just a neat little surprise, and the ONLY time in our lives we'll be able to do something like this. DH said the other day that it's going to be cool because it'll be just like when we were kids again, not even able to sleep because we're so excited about getting up and opening presents! :)

keller237
12-17-2011, 12:22 PM
We have digital cable with an exercise on demand channel. I'm gonna check to see if there are any yoga on there.

Mindi- It just sucks being last to know when you could have done many weeks earlier. I couldn't wait any longer than I had to, even if it is just a few days. But love the idea of hanging it on the tree!

HALFWAY THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have any of you ladies had dreams about gender and what did you have? I've had horrible dreams that if I have a boy I get violent and angry and yell at the doctor. I wouldn't do in real life as I just want a healthy baby but I've heard some women say they dream of one gender(good or bad) and have the opposite? I've only met a couple people who had dreams about the gender they actually had. And I hear it's all a subconscious thought.

MindiV
12-18-2011, 08:20 AM
I've only had one dream that involved a baby so far, and it was a boy in the dream.

Anyone else having family members trying to tell you what to do?

So since DH's family is split into two parts, we've got Christmases this weekend. And yesterday I was a huge disappointment.

We went to his dad's Christmas yesterday, and everyone in his family was excited when we walked in and wanted to "see the belly." Well. Don't have one so there! I was fun for about five seconds then they moved on. It's like you're not pregnant without the belly. We DID get a cute little silver "Baby" frame from his dad and his dad's girlfriend, so that was nice.

Start of super-emotional rant.

Today is his granny's Christmas. She's in her 80s and will ask me how I'm doing, but is more interested in our dogs right now. She's sweet even though she repeats herself.

My sister-in-law is going to get on my last NERVE though. She's been hounding me for WEEKS and it's getting worse. "Why are you still wearing jeans? You're going to squish the baby." You see, she's an expert since she had one child...and blew up big as a house by 15 weeks. So I should too I guess. I'm just really tired of her telling everyone I hate being pregnant and don't want to accept it (because she is) since I won't put on maternity clothes. She told someone IN PUBLIC and in FRONT of me just Thursday that I'm trying to "keep the belly in" by wearing my pre-pregnancy jeans and that I'm going to do damage to the baby.

I'm NOT damaging the baby and I'm NOT trying to "keep my belly in." I can still wear a couple of pairs of them, and have retired some I can't wear anymore. I change out of them in the evening when I bloat up and they get uncomfortable. I'm just sick and tired of her telling me HOW to be pregnant.

And for the record I hate the maternity jeans. I put some on yesterday just to gauge the progress. They fell down within five steps, and I got the right size. I don't know if it's because I don't have a belly to hold the top up yet or what. But it's annoying.

And speaking of that, I'm getting annoyed that I don't look pregnant anyway. I'm tired of people saying "I thought you were pregnant?" when they see me. I don't know why I have zero belly at 18 weeks. I'm getting wider but not popping out. Dangit if I'm gonna BE pregnant I want to LOOK pregnant at least! I got some cute maternity shirts the other day (to be ready when I DO need them) and can't wear 'em at all because they're like tents right now.

Oh, today is going to be a GOOD day. I just keep telling myself that...

keller237
12-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Mindi- I just got wider and wider until in my 18th week and in the past couple weeks i've just began rounding out. Granted, I STILL just look fat in my mind but df tries to tell I look pregnant. I mean, maybe from the side, lol
Don't let anybody try to tell you what to do. You know your body best. Try to ignore them or change the conversation.

I haven't even tried on pregnancy jeans. Nor shirts. And I surely won't buy any. I'm not going to waste money on them when I have 4 sizes of jeans and I still wear them all, even the smallest ones. Though for the first time I did have to ponytail the smallest ones together because it began to hurt. My DF is a size or two bigger than me so I wear his t shirts sometimes and will continue to. They don't look like his so nobody will ask. And for winter, sweats and yoga pants. For spring, I have a ton of "going out" shirts that will be able to accomodate the belly and sundresses/jackets.

16 days until we can start shopping =]

butterflymama
12-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Mindi- I am sorry your SIL is so hurtful and mean. Seriously she really needs to shut-up. Have you told her that what she is saying is hurtful?

My upper belly is sticking out and more round (from my pushed up guts) then the lower part below the belly button were the baby is and my family keeps poking me and rubbing my guts. It is pretty annoying but the are just really happy and excited and not being cruel. I also feel like I do not look pregnant and I keep looking back at pictures of me when I was pregnant with DS and thinking I looked more "pregnant" with him but I was also about 10 pounds heavier and since losing weight have a bit your excess skin belly flab on the bottom so I just look strange now.

I hope your day is going well and you are being treated well.

mandalinn82
12-18-2011, 08:28 PM
:wave:

Just a quick drive by post - this weekend was all about Christmas prep. I passed out all of our cookies and goodies to local friends, boxed and mailed the ones for far away friends, got some wrapping done, and got the house clean and the shopping done for Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas morning breakfast, both of which we're hosting. I am seriously annoyed at how quickly I run out of steam compared to pre-pregnancy...I used to be able to clean, cook, move stuff, etc all day, and now by 3pm I am DONE and need to put my feet up. Yesterday I pushed too hard and ended up with a migraine, exhausted, and really uncomfortable.

Here's a pic of my bump (I didn't make the twitter account...my friend who is SUPER DUPER EXCITED ABOUT THE BABY did...don't judge, I have nothing to do with it!)

https://twitter.com/#!/CaudleLarkinKid/status/147512963744534529/photo/1

So excited for you all to find out your genders! We bought our first little boy outfit this weekend (and I possibly cried in the aisles of Target - lol).

MindiV
12-19-2011, 08:19 AM
So...FOUR DAYS until the gender/anatomy ultrasound, and Christmas is just after that! I'm so excited to finally find out what we're having!

Oh, and still "the bumpless wonder" here. I can't count how many times I got asked "I thought you were pregnant?" over the weekend.

Sakai
12-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Keller- Congrats on the engagment!
Butterflymama- Wow our dates are close @.@ it'll be a race to the finish lol
Mindi- don't worry, you'll look pregnant soon enough. all women are different. My body changed when i was around 10 weeks and even though I had only gained 4 pounds at that time, I looked pregnant already (which sucked because my work clothes don't fit anymore and we don't sell maternity clothes in this town for some reason even though a good chunk of the female population is pregnant at any given time. so I had to buy a bigger sized pants which are comfy in the waist but super gangsta baggy in the legs.) I think it's just all my insides being shoved upward though.

So i've been stressed because helpppful family/friends have been bringing out friends and family who've been wanting to adopt. And I feel bad for having to disapoint eveyone because I'm only having one baby! lol
But the great news is, it seems my Cousin and his wife (who just had a baby last month) contacted me and said they would gladly take the baby. I accepted this right away because I love my cousin and his wife and they are such great people. I was surpprised because they just had a baby but it was very hard for them to get pregnant. it took them over a year. They want more children and it will most likely take them just as long so I guess they saw this as a oppertunity to help me out and expand their family, which I'm more than happy to do. They do live far away but that's okay with me. I've felt like I've been able to enjoy this pregnacy now that I'm not stressed out about the adoption. The baby will stay in the family which will make other members of my family happy and my baby will have a slightly older sister to be with.

keller237
12-20-2011, 01:46 AM
Sakai-thanks. Glad to hear about your cousin and that its making the adoption a lot easier on you and the family. Are they gonna be involved in your pregnancy more so? Enjoy every minute of your pregnancy if you can :) Its a special time for everyone involved, but especially you.

Idk why but I've been emotional for some odd reason today. Wanting to cry at sappy love stories and anything with a baby in it. I cry for no reason and its so annoying! Spent the day with df and he thinks im going crazy because one minute im fine and the next im *****ing because he don't rinse his dishes off and the next crying about something I read.

Not gonna lie, I haven't enjoyed being pregnant. And as of now, i never want to do it again. Since even before I've found out I've been throwing up and nauseas up until two weeks ago, having migraines, sensitive and dry painful nipples, crazy emotions about nothing, major irritation over the littlest things, can't sleep, can't eat, im always tired. Even just going to work or taking a walk is to much. And i spent the first 14 weeks stressing about losing this one too and hiding it from everybody. I mean I don't see how im supposed to enjoy this? Maybe its the emotions talking but I wish it was May. Does anybody else feel this way or do I just sound crazy right now? :(

MindiV
12-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Keller, the emotions are normal, believe me! A couple of weeks back DH and I sat and watched "Two Broke Girls" on TV. I was having a good night...felt ok. Not arguing or sad or anything. It ended (and wasn't sad at ALL) and I just BUSTED out crying. DH thought I was insane. I just went to the bathroom and couldn't stop crying for like 10 minutes. And the mornings are the worst...he can make me cry SO easy! He's just stopped calling me before about 9 am...it's safer that way. :)

And your feelings are also totally normal. I can't say I've been totally miserable with this pregnancy, but I'm not enjoying it the way I thought I would. You know, they say that women have a "glow" when they're pregnant, and that they all feel SO good in the second trimester. Well "they" are full of crap.

I'm having issues with not feeling connected to this baby at all. I can't say I feel "love." I'm taking care of myself so the baby will be healthy, but it's not like I'm talking to my belly and saying "I love you" all the time or anything. On my other message board I'm told that's perfectly normal, too...and that some women don't feel a connection until well after birth. I hope this all changes for me soon, though. I want to enjoy things and be excited enough to really start looking at baby things. Hopefully after we find out the gender this weekend...or I feel some movement!

butterflymama
12-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Mandalinn - Very cute bump :) I have to admit I am a bit jealous. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas dinner and breakfast.

Saki- That is fantastic news about your cousin and his wife wanting to adopt the baby.

Keller- I forgot to say congrats on the engagement! Also I have to admit that I have not really been enjoying my pregnancy so far either. I am starting to feel a bit better so really hoping to start enjoying it more in the second trimester. Also my emotions are wacky too and those stupid Christmas commercials don't help.

Mindi- I find it hard to really feel connected to the baby until there is some serious movements going on. Then I start to feel the personality of the little person inside me.

I am doing ok, my blood sugars were a bit high after dinner a couple times this week but are really good all day. I am pretty sure I am going to develop GD (if I don't have it already) I have started keeping track of my calories and carbs and testing my blood sugar when waking and after my major meals. I am hoping I can keep them under control with diet and exercise. I have yet to start the exercise thing but am trying to get motivated to go out walking in the evenings but it has been kinda cold and rainy :( It sucks because I really have to not indulge at Christmas :( At least it is easier to turn down stuff when I am pregnant as I have the baby's healthy to think of. Hope everyone has a fantastic, restful holidays.

keller237
12-22-2011, 01:41 AM
This baby kicks the **** out of me and wakes me up all night long. It's getting really annoying only being able to sleep an hour here and there.

13 days until gender scan. So excited! Just can't wait to go shopping.

Butterfly- Thanks =] Even when the baby kicks I don't feel that "super connection" that people tell me i'll feel. Is your doctor going to test for gestational diabetes?

Mindi- After my bf goes to work, I just can't help but to cry. I have no clue why but as soon as he leaves something clicks in my head and it starts randomly. I watch One born evern minute and i bawl during the whole episode. But I can't tear myself away from it. Two broke girls is also a favorite- but it makes me laugh extra hard!

MindiV
12-22-2011, 08:35 AM
I THINK I started feeling some little kicks or punches yesterday. Felt like little muscle spasms, but they were all in one place below and to the right of my belly button. Hope to feel more today!!! Sonogram is tomorrow and hopefully they'll be able to tell the gender!

mandalinn82
12-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Congrats on the engagement, Keller!

Sakai, that's awesome that you found a family!

I am only JUST starting to feel connected to my little guy, when I feel him move. It's still awfully abstract! I lovingly call him "mama's little parasite" on the days when he's sucking the life out of me (we ALL have those days).

My shoulder acted up big time yesterday, so I sort of can't use my left arm without severe pain. No fun. I tried to massage it last night and only succeeded in making it really, really sore. So I'm trying to take it easier today, but I just have SO much to do to prep for Christmas. Wrapping, cleaning, cooking, baking...I need to put my feet up!

keller237
12-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Mandalinn- Some days? This little one sucks the life out of me 95% of days and rarely lets me sleep lol But i'll still love it nonetheless. Sucks about your shoulder. Hope it feels better soon. And hope you can some rest in because it sounds like you are crazy busy.

Mindi- Very excited for you. Let us know when you open it on Xmas =]

So I gained 3 pounds overnight a couple days ago, out of nowhere. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. It's not water weight because it's sticking with me. I always feel hungry to but I take 4 bites and i'm full so it's not overeating either. Apparently it was needed. What a hard concept to accept though.

I also woke up and suddenly looked "pregnant". I still think I just look fat. Df and the ladies I work with think I look prego now. I attached a photo. Don't mind my crazy hair as I had just woken up from a nap lol

Christmas is soo close adn then the new year and many new beginnings for each one of us =]

keller237
12-23-2011, 12:37 AM
I ws gonna just edit my last post but my computer keeps freezing up. Ugh.

I was wondering where you ladies are with naming your babies. Have you picked one out yet? Do you have one for each gender? Any ideas but not in a "definite" list? And what are they?

MindiV
12-23-2011, 07:44 AM
We've got it narrowed down to two names for the boy....both initials "JB" after DH's grandpa. The girl's name though...not sure at ALL. I've got a list, but DH has said no to most of them, and maybe to a few. I decided to wait until we know if we NEED to argue over girls' names before we have the argument :) Should know Sunday!

But on the boys, it'll be Jacob Boyd or Jackson Boyd. Girls....we'll have to see.

mandalinn82
12-23-2011, 11:15 AM
This one has a name, we think...Spencer James. My wife was supposed to be named Michaela, but when she was born, she didn't look at all like a Michaela and they named her Sarah. So we're withholding judgment until he is born, but that's his name as of now.

If it had been a girl, she would have likely been Violet Elizabeth.

Keller - oh yes, that is a pregnant bump! I sympathize on the weight gain. NO matter what I do with carbs, with watching what I'm eating, with pushing water, my body is just determined to put on pounds. I've had a couple 2-3 lb overnights. Trying to adjust, but still not happy about it!!

MindiV
12-23-2011, 11:25 AM
So, had the sonogram. I measured 19 weeks, 5 days, and the due date has been moved to May 13 from May 19 or 21. So as of Christmas Day I'm officially 20 weeks I suppose.

Heart rate was 135, brain, spine, ribs, heart and lungs all looked good. Baby was really moving a lot...except for its legs of course. THOSE were crossed AND tucked, so no gender for our Christmas surprise. :( I'm trying to be really happy that the baby is good, and I am. Just also really disappointed.

keller237
12-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Mindi- Sucks they couldnt tell the gender. But glad to hear that everything is perfect with baby. Do you know when they are going to try again to tell? Love the names. Jackson was one of my favorites =]

Manda- I understand that babies don't always look like a certain name, but Spencer is cute!

I was supposed to be "Benajmin" because they thought my hand was a penis the whole time my mom was pregnant. So my name was a last minute choice for them as well.

The countdown is getting lower!!!

MindiV
12-24-2011, 09:12 AM
So got a surprise call from my doctor yesterday....the sonogram tech called and told him what happened, so he wants me to come to the hospital this morning for a repeat sonogram! He's determined to get us a gender for Christmas. About to leave and head that way....wish me luck!!

mandalinn82
12-24-2011, 10:43 AM
I have my fingers, toes, and EVERYTHING ELSE crossed that your baby has his/her legs UNCROSSED!

keller237
12-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Mindi- Any luck?

DF felt the baby kick for the first time last time. I don't think i've ever seen a bigger smile on his face!

MindiV
12-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Sorry for the late update...but no luck. With the doctor!! He didn't even show up. I was there an hour waiting for him and they finally called him...he wasn't even in town! Said he could be there in an hour but we has to leave and go out of town. I was so upset and angry I cried for three hours! He said call Monday to try then but the clinic isn't even open. Don't know what he is thinking.

keller237
12-26-2011, 08:26 PM
Mindi- Sorry about what happened with the doctor. How unprofessional for him to call and ask you and then not show up. Let us know when you do get in for an appointment. Hoping you find out soon and that you had a great xmas anyways.

How were all your xmas days? We spent the day with family and doing laundry.

Went shopping today. Got a swing, bouncer, playard, onesies and a diaper bag. We went to a second hand shop we have here and the stuff is all "like new" but we saved over 150$ on it all. We got a teddy bear too =]

A week from tomorrow and we should know gender.

MindiV
12-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Once I got over it, Christmas was good. Plenty of time with family and all. I'm going to call in the morning and see if we can try a sonogram this week sometime and maybe get some more cooperation from the baby, and I'm telling my husband it must be a boy because it doesn't listen! :)

Floprieto
12-27-2011, 12:40 AM
from my experience, girls are usually the ones hiding their private, whereas the boys let it all hang... lol

MindiV
12-27-2011, 07:37 AM
The tech said he wouldn't even venture to guess either way, and that he normally would. This one was crossed, tucked and turned. DH says he's convinced it's a girl, even though the tech has been doing this same job since 1983 and said he couldn't tell at ALL.

Going to call the doctor's office in a couple of hours and see when he can get me in. I don't have a lot of trust in him at all right now. He said he will get me in for a sonogram whenever I want....we'll see if he was telling the truth!

MindiV
12-27-2011, 02:15 PM
8:45 am Wednesday is the ultrasound re-do. The doctor apologized for Saturday...whether he was sincere or not I do not know. I am going to pretend that he was, regardless. Keep your fingers crossed that the baby's legs are NOT crossed in the morning!!!

keller237
12-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Mindi- Wishing you luck that your his/her legs are WIDE open this time!

I find out a week from today. I'm sooo excited.

MindiV
12-27-2011, 09:04 PM
It's SO HARD to wait!!! Just stay busy and you'll make it through the week!!!

Sakai
12-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Good luck tomorrow Mindi!!
we had a good christmas, it was just DF and me and he made out like a bandit lol.

Dr. appointment in two days. Not looking forward to waking up so early to sit around the Dr. office for a hour. but I hope it's not as long as the first appointment (2 hours) and I can get home and maybe steal a bit of a nap before work.

i got a letter yesterday saying I have a appointment for a ultra-sound on the 18th it's on a workday, but thankfully a bit early. I'll be 18 weeks along so maybe they will see a gender? hope so.

I had a headache for the past two days that painkillers wouldn't even touch. but thankfully it seems to be gone now. My toothache/ear ache turned out to be an ear infection thankfully so it's being treated tight now.

I'm not feeling the baby move which is making me a little nervious. I know for bigger girls with their first they sometimes won't feel the baby till week 20 or so. But I could feel the little twinges that I figured was the baby moving a few weeks ago but those are gone now. so perhaps I was feeling something else.

keller237
12-28-2011, 01:28 AM
Sakai- I felt baby twinge like move only a few times starting at 14 1/2 weeks. Baby didn't really start moving until around 19 weeks and now at 22 baby kicks constantly and I wish he/she didn't because it keeps me up all night long some nights. Don't worry! It's completely normal though. Your dr can reassure you with a heartbeat check at your appt!

Mindi- i've known it was this day since my first appt, mid october. I've waited this long, I don't think one more weeks gonna kill me. though I hate waiting and am impatient, at least I see an end in sight.

butterflymama
12-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Glad everyone had a good Christmas. We had a nice Christmas, I was hoping the baby would give me a Christmas present of a big kick but nope. I did have a bigger movement the next day (boxing day in Canada) at my mom's house that was for sure baby. I am so impatient for those big movements! We go to see our back-up midwife on January 5th so will get to hear the HB which I am looking forward to. I have to book my anatomy scan, I think i will go around 19 weeks. My nausea seems to be mostly gone and today was my second day in a row that I didn't puke upon waking :carrot:

Sakai- Those little flutters and twinges you were feeling were probably baby. They tend to be a bit sporadic when they are this little as the baby is still so little and has lots of room in there so can be kicking and bouncing around and not be making much contact with the uterus' Also if they turn around and are kicking towards the back you don't really feel it. Plus if you are busy or moving around it is hard to notice. Even with my second who was extremely active later in the second and in the third trimester I would go days without feeling anything at this stage in pregnancy (I have to keep reminding myself this) Soon enough you will be feeling those big kicks and so will I :)

Mindi- Hope you your baby co-operated today!

Keller- I hope your baby co-operates at your gender ultrasound too.

It looks like I am the only one not finding out the gender. So I have about 24 weeks to wait :D I was tempted this time, I didn't find out with my other children either, but I like the surprise at birth and since I am hoping for a VBA2C am hoping that will help give me the extra strength in labour.

MindiV
12-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Well the dr said it is likely a girl, but he isn't sure enough for us to start buying pink clothes yet! He said there could still be boy parts there, so he wants to do another scan in 4 or 5 weeks to verify...but for now to be thinking of girls' names. DH is ok with it, but I'm afraid to believe it! A friend of mine has a daughter due in February... At 20 weeks she was told the baby was for sure a girl with a sonogram just like mine. Then at 25 weeks the "for sure girl" changed to boy, and has been confirmed in several ultrasounds. So I'm afraid to do anything but pick a name just yet!

keller237
12-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Mindi- Sucks that your baby isn't cooperating 100% so you can just be sure and i hope the next 4 weeks pass by quickly for you so you can be sure and start shopping.

Butterfly- I couldn't do it. I'm dying to know gender now lol I just want everything prepared and the nursery set up and all that good stuff since i'll be working and in school.

Floprieto
12-29-2011, 12:38 AM
I know it may sound stupid, but with this pregnancy, I took a gender prediction test I purchased on ebay and it said it was a girl... It was correct, as it has been confirmed by 2 ultrasounds now... but again, it could just be a fluke too... lol. It is a 50/50 chance to be correct I guess :)

Floprieto
12-29-2011, 12:41 AM
oh and Mindi, i see you live in Texas too... if you have the funds, you could also just go do a gender check at one of the 3d ultrasound place. It is usually in the $50 or $60 :) I did that as well in Fort Worth

MindiV
12-29-2011, 08:16 AM
There's a Stork Vision place near me, but they won't do a 3D or 4D ultrasound until at least 27 weeks, so I've still got a wait ahead of me. They can do 2D right now, but if all the doctor could see was confusion, that may be all they can see as well. So I might better wait...

But the 3D ultrasound idea is pretty cool for later on...I'll be 27 weeks right after my birthday!!! Sounds like a good gift idea to me...

mandalinn82
12-29-2011, 12:29 PM
My scale decided to go up 8 lbs over Christmas week. I did not eat nearly enough for this to happen, AT ALL (I was actually pretty moderate, and the scale has continued going up 1 lb a day despite several days of clean eating at home), so now I'm panicking that something is really wrong (like early onset pre-eclampsia or kidney failure...someone needs to take my Google away from me). I sent a message to my midwife asking if I need to be seen, but of course, I've already jumped to the worst possible conclusion.

Mindi, our gender was determined at one of those 2D/3D places. They might be able to spend more time than the doctor could! I'm betting the doc is right and it's a girl.

I have to attend a funeral tomorrow, and need to try to determine if I have any clothes that will work for that, or if I need to go out and buy a pair of black pants. My uncle, who had a brain tumor, passed away on Christmas Eve. My sister flies back in tonight to attend with us, so I'll go pick her up this evening.

keller237
12-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Manda- 8 lbs over the weekend and a pound a day just sounds crazy. I would also be worried just a tad bit because you really don't know what could be going on. What did you midwife say?

Mindi- I know at the 2d/3d centers around here if they aren't sure of the gender, they invite you back for a free gender rescan so it still could be a good option. And ours offer 30-45 minute sessions, more than my doctors office at least.

Flo- What brand test did you take? I think I used GenderMaker. I took one at 15ish weeks and it said girl. I've felt it was a girl since the beginning and I HOPE its a girl!

MindiV
12-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Amanda - I don't blame you for wanting to get that gain checked out! Hope you were able to get in today!

We're really considering a 3D/4D place. Gonna talk to DH about it when he gets home here in a few. We really think it's a girl too...just want to be TOLD it's a girl instead of "Don't buy clothes yet...." you know? And this doctor has been so wishy washy the whole time about everything I don't know that we trust him to set up another ultrasound anytime soon.

mandalinn82
12-29-2011, 02:43 PM
I haven't heard back yet. I think it's probably LESS alarming for me than for most people (I normally gain 4-5 lbs of water whenever I eat any quantity of real sugar, pregnant or not, which of course was around at Christmas time, and I usually gain 1-2 lbs with stress which of course is going on with the funeral...combine that with normal pregnancy water retention, and that explains it, even though the number seems really high), but I still don't like it. I'm going to go buy a blood pressure monitor...if it's normal (as it always has been), I'll know it isn't pre-eclampsia and will just blame my body being a weird water sponge, as usual.

MindiV
12-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Heck I lost a pound from Dec. 19 to Dec. 26. So now I'm worried I'm working out TOO much and not eating enough. Always something to worry about.

My husband frustrates me. He looked at 3D ultrasound pics and said he now doesn't WANT one because he wants to be surprised by what the baby looks like. Ok, fine. So we're going forward with girl unless the doctor tells us otherwise. I sent a list of names with him to work....he came in today, just a few minutes ago, and said he didn't care, that I could pick. I told him my choice. He said NO! He'd better decide...either WE pick a name we both like, or he shuts it and lets me name her.

mandalinn82
12-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Well, my BP was totally normal, so while that doesn't explain why I have to much water weight going on, it does rule out most of the scary scenarios in my head.

keller237
12-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Mindi- my dr said 2d ultrasounds are actually better for determining gender because parts are clearer when baby is moving so maybe he would do that just to be sure! It must be frustrating you can't agree on names. I picked both first names and df picked middle names but im just glad we agreed pretty much right away! Maybe you guys could work something out like that? Your doctor doesn't sound very pleasing to work with. Would you consider switching doctors? I know the second half of the pregnancy is more important for care so maybe you could find one you are more pleased with.

Work is horrible today. Constant phone ringing, not getting any followups like I should, and I have a migraine and feel like throwing up. Good thing my supervisors understand the joy of pregnancy!

MindiV
12-29-2011, 06:59 PM
We decided to just wait on the doctor. I'll talk to him at my appointment on the 11th. But we're pretty much set that it's a girl, I think. Like you said, now the names!! I like the way y'all did it...I'll pick the first and he can pick the middle. Right now I'm leaning toward -ey names: Marley, Lainey, Zoey or Audrey. But it's so up in the air...

Not really any other choice for doctors. I want to stay in town, and there are only two who deliver babies. Mine and a HUGE jerk I can't stand. The next closest one is 45 miles away, and I'd be starting over from scratch with someone I'd never even met. The only big bonus with having a baby here is that I will literally be the ONLY person delivering at our hospital at that time. Kinda cool....

Floprieto
12-30-2011, 02:45 AM
Hey Keller, I took the Gender Maker test too :) and it was accurate for me.

keller237
12-30-2011, 03:29 AM
Flo- well I hope it works! I read that its more accurate with girl results than boy results because if there's any semen mixed it automatically turns purpleish blue.

Df and I got into a big argument today. He's jealous anytime another guy even talks to me or says something bout how I look or if they like it/me. Its sooooo frustrating and I just wanna strangle him sometimes. Grrr. No matter how many times I tell him, he doesn't seem to understand im not going anywhere and im definitely not gonna cheat on him. Ugh. I just wann scream.

I can't seem to eat enough, no matter how often or how much, im always hungry within the next couple hours. And I can't sleep because this baby kicks really hard, but only when I want to sleep. And I have a backache. Blah. Today has just not been my day. Thank god for the weekend as im probably not going to work tomorrow since were out of numbers to call.

keller237
01-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Tuesday is almost here! Just gotta get through work tomorrow!

MindiV
01-02-2012, 08:17 AM
Finally got the list of names from my husband! He liked Lainey, Abigail and Piper. Audrey was my favorite, and he so far says no. But I also liked Lainey, and Abigail was my original favorite that he said no to forever ago. Right now he's pushing for Lainey Abigail, which is cute. But we'll see...

keller237
01-03-2012, 08:46 PM
We have a healthy and very stubborn BOY! We were with the sonographer for 45 minutes trying to get measurements because he was butt up and wouldn't turn. But he sure opened his legs wide open within the first thirty second of being bugged!

butterflymama
01-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Congrats Keller! Boys rock :) My DS is going to be 4 on the 29th of this month and he is a sweet heart :D

mandalinn82
01-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Yay! So excited to have someone join me on team Boy!

MindiV
01-04-2012, 08:45 AM
My back is KILLING me. I just feel like crying. Started a few weeks ago as pain around my left kidney by the end of the day at work, where I literally sit all day. Then it progressed to pain by lunchtime. This week it's pain as soon as I sit in a chair.

I keep asking women who have been pregnant before, and their oh-so-helpful answer always seems to be "It gets worse. Get used to it."

When do you call the doctor?

mandalinn82
01-04-2012, 11:32 AM
At the point where you're non-functional, you call the doctor. They can make recommendations even if there isn't a lot they can do.

Are you stretching? Warm bath? Does tylenol touch the pain? Is your peeing all normal (pain over kidney could be a UTI, another reason to call your doc...pregnant women are way more prone to them). Are you properly hydrated?

I am getting used to feeling him move consistently now. Our big anatomy scan is on Friday, and this is the first one where I'm not as nervous that something is wrong, just because I can feel him flipping around in there.

I officially put my scale away, since my midwife yelled at me and told me, essentially, "Post obese women gain weight like no one else, you're doing everything right, and you're just stressing yourself out". Had two lovely hikes this weekend, one of them pushing a double stroller up a gigantic hill (now THERE is a workout!). FIL's twins are so freaking cute I can't stand it, and every time I go down, I reassure myself that I DO know what I'm doing with babies and I'm not totally screwed.

MindiV
01-04-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm not non-functional yet, Amanda, but I'll ask him about it at my next appointment. At the rate I'm going I will be before the third trimester. I'm stretching and working out like normal, and it never, ever hurts unless I'm sitting in a chair. I haven't taken Tylenol at all, just because I pretty much don't like it. Never even liked taking it when I wasn't pregnant. Urination is totally normal, and I drink like 100 oz of water a day...just stay thirsty all the time.

I need to put the scale away, but I can't do it yet. I'm obsessed, but not as badly as I was. I just weigh in once a week. It makes sense, though, that women who have been obese will gain. Our bodies remember how to even though we don't want them to, i'm sure! :)

Gale02
01-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Hello ladies!

I'm still here. :) I've been keeping up with this thread but mostly on my phone and this site is a pain to update from my mobile so I haven't been posting. But now both boys are asleep and I have a minute to myself to get on the 'real' computer.

Everything is going well here. I'm 16 weeks (ish... I can't keep track anymore.) We had an ultrasound done at 15w3d, usually a little too early to positively determine gender, and the tech looks and says "Whoa! Those are definitely boy parts! No questions there." :D None of my boys have been shy for the ultrasound techs, lol! I'm super excited to be having another boy. Although, I must admit, I'm a little freaked out about 3 boys in 3 years. My house is already nuts! I am confident that it's going to be a blast, though.

My weight gain is a little wonky. I gained around 10lbs in the first 6 weeks (which, as irritating as it is, is normal for me. I've done it with all 3 now) and have been sitting within 2-3 lbs of that since then. I haven't been back to the gym yet, but that's primarily due to exhaustion. I've also not been eating enough as it is, and don't want to compound that by adding hugely to my calorie burn (it's not unusual for me to burn 700-1000 calories in a gym session.) I have never been one to forget to eat until this pregnancy. Between chasing my 2 boys and some construction we've had going on at the house I will often get to dinner having eaten less than 700 calories all day. :yikes: I need to work on that, it's not healthy for anyone involved.

Anyhow. All in all we're doing well. I have another ultrasound in a few weeks, it'll be fun to see how much little dude has grown. I am considered a high risk pregnancy due to my severe asthma, so I get to have ultrasounds every 4 weeks now and then every week toward the end. It's inconvenient since my Dr is 40 minutes away, but really fun to see baby so often. :)

I'll try to be on here more. I love reading about how everything is going with all of you. Know that I'm keeping up even if I'm not posting!

Gale02
01-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Mindi - Could it be sciatica? I know that primarily runs through the hips, but could the pain be radiating? I know that sciatica tends to bother people more when they are seated. It's just a guess though. :dunno:

On another note, I think it's remarkably rude when people tell pregnant women "Get used to it (whatever "it" may be), it gets worse." This is a time in life when we need lots of encouragement and, if nothing else, commiseration. ;) We don't need people constantly telling us things get worse or, my personal favorite :rolleyes:, telling first time moms their labor horror stories. I'm generally a pretty easy going person, but it really rankles me that people's personal space barriers and brain/mouth filters completely shut off when they are around pregnant people. :mad: /end rant

I hope you get it figured out, being in pain really stinks!

Gale02
01-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Mandalinn - Your bump is so cute!! <3

MindiV
01-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks, Gale! I've wondered about the sciatica myself. It's definitely on the list to ask my doctor next Wednesday at our monthly appointment!

It bugs me too, all the "non-help helping." I don't have a mom to talk to about these things anymore, so I rely on the help of women who have been there. Only the women I know who have been there aren't being terribly helpful!! I'm glad I have y'all to talk to!!

keller237
01-05-2012, 02:44 AM
I think my biggest annoyance(and dfs too) is when people tell us "it only gets worse." The people around me do that ALL the time.

So DFs whole family and two of my friends are beyond pissed at us... and i don't care. They are all pissed because I announced on FB that it's a boy and didn't call each and every one of them. I told them all to get their heads out of their a$s and quit thinking they are "priority" in our lives. Why waste my whole day calling them when I could put it on fb and they all know at the same time? Apparently it made me selfish. I'm soo sick of people. I've even had them try to tell me what to name him! UGH! (So then I flipped out about how nobody makes the decisions who didn't concieve him. Oops. Everybody thinks i'm a MAJOR B!tch right now.)

Started school back up this week and quit my job(Well not officially yet but I will here soon. I don't have to gve two weeks because they won't rehire if you havent worked there for at least a year.) My job is soo stressful and they keep jacking my paychecks up. My last one was short over a hundred dollars and my supervisor tried to tell me I missed hours so only got minimum wage when I didn't. I'm just frustrated with it and had planned to quit in March to move and stay home with little one anyways. DF is a little mad about it but supportive . It's just way too much and I don't want to put more stress on me or baby.

My body is sooooo sore. I really just want to work out but it hurts to walk for more than 20 minutes. My feets, hips, back, everything! He likes to hang in my lower parts and kick my stomach and punch towards my back. And the puking is back, all week so far.. and i think i might be making a run here in a few since I just ate. Bleck. So disgusting.

Gale- Jealous you found out so early. But yay for the boy! Do you know what his name is gonna be?

mandalinn82
01-05-2012, 11:48 AM
My rule is "If you didn't put him in there, and you're not going to take him out, you don't get to have an opinion". Working pretty well so far, although I am getting tired of the "you'll find out" or "you'll see that..." unsolicited parenting advice going on. Especially on some of the stuff we feel pretty strongly about for our little guy...breastfeeding unless there is some major health problem doing so, cloth diapers, etc. This weekend I had to listen to "Babies just do better on formula" and "you'll never manage cloth diapers for the first 3-6 months. You can start after that, maybe". Argh.

I have an anterior placenta, and it makes me sad! I feel him moving in there, but not a lot of big punches and kicks. Good news, though, is that he doesn't keep me up at night since he's mostly kicking the placenta! Small favors, I guess.

My scale is officially on the shelf. It's freaking me out.

Gale02
01-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Mandalinn - You can do it all! I breastfed my first for a year and did cloth diapers until he was 18 months old (stopped because of some rash issues.) I will admit I didn't do cloth with my second and won't with my third. With 2 kids in diapers I can't handle the extra laundry. I don't know who's telling you babies do better on formula but it's been proven over and over again that breast feeding is healthier. Shoot, it even says so on the formula container. :)

I think we all need to just not listen to anyone but those we respect and trust. Everyone has an opinion, most of them (opinions, that is) are fairly useless.

Gale02
01-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Haha, Mandalinn, speaking of unsolicited opinions... You might be really glad if you wait a few days to start with the cloth diapers. I learned the hard way that meconium does not come out of cloth diapers. It's like tar. FWIW. :)

mandalinn82
01-05-2012, 01:08 PM
I don't know who's telling you babies do better on formula but it's been proven over and over again that breast feeding is healthier. Shoot, it even says so on the formula container.

It's my FILs. They just had twins via surrogate, so they're now "experts" on infants. Add in regular in-law meddling, and you've got a real problem. The real issue, I think, is that they tried to have the surrogate pump and that didn't work out, and that they wanted to do cloth and then didn't end up doing it...with twins, I can totally understand how that'd happen (heck, we only are having one, and we wouldn't be doing cloth if my wife wasn't planning to stay home and we didn't have a good washer/dryer). The problem comes in when they feel the need to justify their choices (which I couldn't care less about...their babies, their choices!) as "better" so they can feel good about them. In their situation, formula and disposables were the options that worked...great! But to tell me that breast milk "stinks" and that MY baby will be happier on formula just rubs me the wrong way.

Edited to add: We are DEFINITELY taking a few days to get the meconium out before we start on cloth. We also are open to using disposables in some situations when we're out of the house, traveling, etc. It's just that at home, for the majority of the time, we plan to use cloth.

Gale02
01-05-2012, 03:37 PM
That really stinks that they are being so rude. I am glad that you're a strong and confident enough person to see it for what it is and blow it off if need be. I hope things get better as time goes on. I've mostly stopped sharing plans with people. If someone asks me a direct question (and I know they're looking to pick a fight about something) I just say something completely noncommittal like "we'll see when we get there." :)

butterflymama
01-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Mandalinn - I used cloth from day 1 with DS, if you do use cloth in the first few days you can use a disposable liner to help with the meconium. We used a diaper service for the first few months so I didn't worry about the meconium but with this baby I will probably do the liner thing. I also used exclusively cloth with DS till he was 18 mons (we had some crazy rash thing happening too and went to disposables during the day) We even used the cloth while we camped (but only for long weekends at the most) Anyway just an example that you can do whatever you feel strongly in :)

Also I breastfed my DS till he weaned on his own at 3 years 3 mons. I had a c-section and we had a few challenges at first but overall it was wonderful. Oh and he was about 25lbs at 6mons 100% on breastmilk (I think i make cream :D ) Also he didn't get his first cold till he was almost a year. He never had a drop of formula. I did pump just to have a back-up supply in case of an emergency and I had so much milk I ended up donating some. I do recommend connecting with a Le Leche League group in your area. I went to a meeting a month before I had DS and I attended monthly meetings for the first 18 mons or so. They are a great resource.

Ok just my two cents on things I am pretty passionate about :)

So I had my mw apt today and met my back-up mw and we love her. Also got to her the baby's HB :) 150 bbm it took some searching around, the baby kept swimming away and hiding behind my pelvis but she finally got it and we had a good listen. The only bummer is she said my placenta was in the front :( Tomorrow is the 6th anniversary of my DD's birth/death day and so my anxiety has been pretty high this week, but hearing the HB has really helped. My DH is taking the day off tmrw and we will clebrate Sonja's breif time with us by releasing ballons and looking at her name in the book of life at the hospital then going out for dinner. My DS is insisting we need to have birthday cake for his big sister :)

MindiV
01-06-2012, 02:49 PM
:club:

So I thought we had a name picked out. After trying for a couple of weeks, DH finally got me to come around and really start liking his top choice for a girl: Lainey. I finally got excited about our little Lainey, and was literally looking here on the computer at middle name possibilities.

Then DH texts me...asks if a guy he knows also has a daughter with that name. He does...hers is Laney. But she's already in like fifth grade, and will be about to graduate high school by the time our kid enters kindergarten.

But I confirm his question, and he says nevermind. Doesn't want our daughter to have the name if this guy's also does. :mad:

keller237
01-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Mandalin- Sucks that everybody is trying to tell you what to do. You're strong and you know what you want. You can do anything you put your mind to.

Butterfly- 3 years and 3 mon is impressive. I plan on breastfeeding but only for the first year at most, and i'm gonna pump but depending on how it works out- i'll be doing formula as well when baby is not at home or when i'm at school just as an easier route.

Mindi- Sorry to hear about the name. Lainey is cute! And like you said the other childs age difference wouldn't even effect your little girl. Hopefully you can get it figured out soon so it's some relief on you. Also, there's always going to be another child out there with your babys name unless its extra unique. Maybe reminding your hubby that would make it a bit easier?

I can't stop eating! I probably ate like 8 times yesterday and was still hungry. No matter how much or what I eat i'm always hungry anymore. And it frreaks me out because then the scale goes up and I know that it's because i'm eating so much. Baby A really kicks now, day and night. He's getting on a schedule now though so it's getting a bit easier to sleep at night.

I'm attaching a picture of the ultrasound. Little guy looks EXACTLY like his daddy. I see none of my features at all in the little we could see. He was butt up and wouldn't cooperate so all we could get was a profile but we've decided to pay to get a 3d and 4d ultrasound done around the end of feb or beginning of march.

mandalinn82
01-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Learned in my ultrasound yesterday that apparently, my placenta migrated over to the side! Yay! And this morning, I felt him kick from the outside. Now we just need to time it so my wife can feel it. She ran over and stuck her hand on, but our lazy little boy was already settled and asleep. He still is asleep when I am, meaning he isn't keeping me up. Let's hope that pattern sticks!

Every time we get an ultrasound, he is face down, legs spread wide, and refuses to move. So we BARELY got face shots yesterday as well (and yeah, just profiles). Apparently he uses the placenta as a pillow.

MindiV
01-07-2012, 07:19 PM
I don't get awakened at night either....hope that means her schedule will match mine! Wishful thinking, huh? :)

mandalinn82
01-07-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm hoping that, too!

Ugh, I just stubbed my toe so hard I'm about 95% sure I broke it. THAT HURTS. Nothing I can do about it, but wow, that's uncomfortable.

MindiV
01-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Amanda, I think we're both falling apart. I woke up with a horrible pain in my right hip this morning, and it hasn't ever gone away! I even had our brand new elliptical delivered yesterday and haven't been able to get on it to try it out yet...it's killing me! Hurts to even walk, much less do all the cleaning and organizing I've been doing all day long...

butterflymama
01-08-2012, 09:34 AM
I had a horrible stomach flu yesterday. woke up at 2:00 am Sat morning and threw-up and then again every 15-30 mins for the next 3 hours and then every hour or so for over 12 hours. I couldn't keep anything down. Finally stopped throwing up last night and was able to keep some soup down. Ahh horrible. I was worried about dehydrating and about the baby so DH called our m/w and she said to just rest and take sips of water and gatorade every ten mins and call her back if it hadn't let up in 24-36 hours. I felt baby bumping around a few times yesterday but nothing so far today, but I am not feeling movement on a regular bases yet and m/w said my placenta is in the front so am not too concerned. Fell like I was run over by a train today.

10 days till our u/s.

mandalinn82
01-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Sarah got to feel him moving last night! So exciting. We were sort of snuggling, and he kicked her square in the leg. He was SUPER active yesterday, and I loved it (I can see how in a few months, it's gonna get old, but for now, bring it on!)

Negative - the toe is definitely broken. I can't even put shoes on.

Butterfly - How awful! I had a friend that happened to, and she ended up in the ER getting IV fluids. Take care of yourself!

Mindi - I had a couple days with really bad hip pain. Then it went away as quickly as it came. Weird. Go easy until it feels better, maybe do some stretching?

MindiV
01-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Here a week or so ago the baby was really active in the morning, and I laid in bed and told DH to put his hand on my belly. He felt the little kicks a few times and all he could say was "That's SO weird!" He has NO idea!!

This morning my hip is a lot better. Some pain every once in a while but nothing horrible like yesterday. Wish I could say the same for my back...just gets worse and worse!

keller237
01-08-2012, 11:38 PM
My dad just got admitted to the hospital after waking up with horrible chest pains to the point it hurt to breathe. They have no idea whats wrong. It scares me horribly because my dad is already in such bad health now. His mom had a heart attack and went down hill and died from it and his dad had heart problems I believe so the thought just can't help run through my mind that something really bad could be happening and that he may never meet my son at the rate his health has gone down in the past year.

I won't be getting much sleep tonight. Praying for the best.
Good thing I have plenty of of homework to keep me busy til class at 730am.

mandalinn82
01-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Keller - keeping you and your dad in my thoughts and prayers tonight. Hang in there, and get some rest if you can.

MindiV
01-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Praying for your family, Keller...

I need to quit weighing myself. Up 7 pounds in 2 weeks. At the rate of 3 pounds a week, I'll weigh like 230 pounds at 40 weeks. That's more than I weighed BEFORE I lost weight in order to get in shape to get pregnant.

ETA: Now that I've had a major freak out and cried and ruined my makeup today over it, I'm MAD. I mean what's the freakin' point of eating right and working out five days a week, 45 minutes a day, if I'm packing on pounds like crazy? I've literally eaten fried food ONCE in the past 5 1/2 months, and fast food a grand total of MAYBE four times. The rest is lean proteins, veggies and whole grains. High fiber. I don't eat potato chips that often...I eat salads and peas and squash and carrots. And 7 pounds in 2 weeks is what I get? Seriously?

I've about reached the point of "Screw it, give me Texas Roadhouse." If I'm gonna gain like that, I might as well enjoy myself until May and then get back on the weight loss bandwagon.

keller237
01-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Thanks mindi and amanda. He's beens hospitalized until further notice and stabilized with oxygen, iv, etc etc until they can find and treat what is wrong. No way to say whether its looking minor or major. None of us will relax until we know so were praying they work as fast as they can as its effected his breathing.

Got no sleep last night bewtween texting/calling my siblings and mom and baby A kicking. I have a feeling it will be a long week.

butterflymama
01-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Keller- I am so sorry to hear about your dad :( Sending lots of healing vibes his way. So stressful for all of you.

Mandalinn- That is so cool that your wife got to feel baby kick, I can't wait till DH and DS can feel baby. I feel DH isn't really connect to the baby yet and seems to be avoiding my belly so hoping that once he can feel the baby he will fell more connected.

Mindi- that sucks about the weight gain. My midwife clinic doesn't weigh their clients or even ask about their weight they do ask for a 3 day food record though. My mw said that the important thing is the women is eating mostly healthy foods and baby is measuring fine and is doing well and mom is healthy. She said the number on the scale gives them very little diagnostic information.

I am feeling much better today and able to eat a normal breakfast this morning. Ok take care everyone.

mandalinn82
01-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Mindi - that sounds like the week I had where I became convinced that I had pre-eclampsia. My midwife made me put the scale away. I did, and I'll tell you, not only has it helped with the freak out, but my weight gain has actually evened out as well. Having a "growth spurt" week or two is apparently not uncommon around 21-22 weeks.

She also said that every woman she has seen who has previously lost a lot of weight gains significantly during pregnancy...but that they also drop it fast afterward. She said she suspects people already eating a healthy diet may carry less water weight, since they tend to eat less refined carbs, so they put on a ton with pregnancy, but it isn't fat.

I know it doesn't help much, since I had this SAME freakout, but I gave it a couple of days scale-free and I feel so much better.

keller237
01-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Original doctor had thought It was a heart attack but when they switched shifts the morning doctor did more tests. Heart came back fine but there's some kind of problem with diaphragm. They don't know exactly what is wrong and said It will most likely happen again so he is now on monitoring. Relieved it had nothing to do with heart but still worried as its likely to happen again. :(

MindiV
01-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Well the fact that it's not his heart is a BIG relief, Keller! I just hope they figure out what's wrong!!

Thanks Amanda...I know I need to put the scale away, but it's hard. I'm down to just once a week, which is good for me. I need to have my husband just hide it. Like I said, it just worries me especially since I'm concerned I'm not eating ENOUGH rather than too much. Only 100 to 150 extra calories a day over my maintenance level.

The doctor just called...he's going out of town for a bit and wants to do another sonogram to confirm gender ASAP. So he's supposed to be working in the ER tonight and wants me to come up around 7:30 or so to find him for a scan...so maybe we'll be sure our girl is a girl later this evening!

mandalinn82
01-10-2012, 01:35 AM
Mindi - did you get confirmation?

I'm falling apart. My toe hurts, I think I am getting an ear infection, and now my wife brought home a cold! I'm trying to do everything I know of to keep from catching it, but my normal routine (Airborne, Emergen-C, zinc, etc) isn't necessarily a good idea during pregnancy, so I'm just making her bathe herself in hand sanitizer and hoping for the best. I have a bad feeling, though, that I'm going to be miserable in a day or so.

MindiV
01-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Well, there's some news...

Had a LONG sonogram last night. He looked and looked and looked. The baby was totally sleeping at first...his first shot was the little face, mouth opening and closing with a little perfect hand up by the face opening and closing. It was in that VERY second that I FINALLY got attached to this baby. I saw the little pinky on the hand and got wrapped around it. I'm done. Over. Lost forever.

So then he started looking around. He measured the femur when he got a good shot, and I measured close to 24 weeks. The tech a few weeks ago said I'm due May 13, but the doctor is sticking with May 21. He said the more sonograms you do, the less reliable measurements get and he likes to stick with the original date.

I've been early all my life. I'm sticking with May 13.

Anyway, on to the rest. He looked and looked. At one point I swear he was looking at what he thought might be testicles or something sticking up and out. Then we saw a couple of lines. Then he saw this:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s74/mindiratliff/Preggo%20pics/22weeksonogram1-9-1275pct.jpg

He said it could be the baby's labia, which means girl. He didn't give me a percentage last time...just said think of girl names but don't buy pink clothes. This time, because of the initial confusion and lack of three clear, even and visible lines, he's upped it to 75 percent girl, 25 percent boy.

So we're still thinking of names. And maybe picking up a few girly items.

keller237
01-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Mindi- after clearly seeing a penis and testes, that sure does look like a girl to me! Im glad you feel that connection now and have a better idea.

Class this morning sucks. I couldn't even make it through my first class without puking. Bleck!

mandalinn82
01-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Now I get to explain to my midwife how I've gained 15 lbs in the last month and a half. The truth is, even I have no idea! I printed food journals to prove that I didn't "earn" any of this.

If I'm going to gain 50 lbs with this pregnancy, can I at least be eating to earn it? Right now, my 2000 calories of healthy, moderate-to-low carb food at 80+ min of exercise just seem like an exercise in futility.

MindiV
01-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Now I get to explain to my midwife how I've gained 15 lbs in the last month and a half. The truth is, even I have no idea! I printed food journals to prove that I didn't "earn" any of this.

If I'm going to gain 50 lbs with this pregnancy, can I at least be eating to earn it? Right now, my 2000 calories of healthy, moderate-to-low carb food at 80+ min of exercise just seem like an exercise in futility.

Amen, preggo sister! I gain 2 to 3 pounds a week, eating about 150 calories over maintenance and working out 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week. NOBODY believes I don't over-eat. I'm not even eating 2,000 calories a day...1,950 MAX. At this rate I will literally be 230 pounds by my due date.

At the doctor today he wasn't terribly worried about it, yet, even though I've gone from 147 to 170 in 22 weeks. My maximum weight gain, according to him, is 35 pounds. I'm at 23 with a long way to go. Guess it could slow down but since it seems to be picking up I doubt that seriously. He said I'm tall, and could be retaining water, etc. But at my next appointment in 4 weeks he wants to check in on it again and see what has changed, and do my GD test.

I'm like you, though, Amanda...why forgo potato chips and fried food for lean meats, salads and veggies when it's not helping keep my weight gain at a healthy rate? The bad angel on my shoulder is saying "Screw it! This is the last time in your life you'll get to ENJOY food you used to love! Go to Chili's! Go to Texas Roadhouse! Eat dessert with abandon!" But I can't do it!!!

My sister-in-law just heard my appointment update. She said he will probably start telling me to control my weight if it doesn't stop. HOW?!?!?!? Short of going on a calorie-restricting diet, there's nothing I can do.

My one thought is maybe I'm not eating ENOUGH for growing a baby and gaining healthy weight with the amount I work out. But I'm afraid to eat more...

Gale02
01-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Keller - I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers. I hope they get things figured out soon!

Mindi - I've never seen a girl ultrasound, but with all three of my boys they got up under them (almost like they were sitting on a copier, ha!) and it was like a horizon with a penis on it. LOL! If the doc isn't sure I probably wouldn't go buy all girl stuff, but a few things here and there won't hurt. :)

I'm hanging in here. Still more tired than I thought possible. DH went into work an hour late today so that I could sleep for an extra hour. The man is a prince. :) Not much else going on. That's good, I suppose. I have a dr appt on Friday and I'm pretty sure I'm up 6 lbs this month, but since I lost 5 lbs last month I'm not too worried about it. I can still get my prepregnancy pants over my butt (not zipped, of course) so at least the gain is in my tummy so far. I count that a success even if I am up 15lbs in 18 weeks. Meh. It is what it is.

bargoo
01-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Ladie, ladies. remember that little guy or gal is just laying in there gaining weight and it will show on your scale, his/her exercise of kicking you or poking you with an elbow will not help. Good luck !

mandalinn82
01-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Bargoo - I appreciate that. I'm only concerned because I am quite far ahead of what one would consider an appropriate or healthy amount to gain during a pregnancy. I get that I'm not going to stay the same weight, but I wouldn't anticipate gaining as much as I have at this point with the diet and exercise I'm doing. My midwife WAS concerned, in fact, until we reviewed my food log.

The concern is that excess weight gain can cause quite a few complications in pregnancy, so I'd wanted to avoid it. I'm trying not to worry since I know that I'm eating well, but this isn't "normal" pregnancy weight gain I'm worrying about...it's weight gain that is too much, too fast, inexplicably.

racrane
01-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Can I now join you ladies? I posted on this board in December. I had just found out I'm pregnant. Well, I'm now about seven weeks along (I know, I found out early on). My boyfriend and I are still leaning towards adoption. As much as I know it will be the hardest thing I have ever done, I'm struggling to support myself, let alone a baby. (We're both college students) I already have a family in mind from the agency I've chosen, too.

However, since things are normal and I want the baby to be healthy, I'm going to do my best to keep thing going in a positive way.

I have no energy to workout whatsoever and I feel very guilty for it. Even walking seems horrible now (and that says a lot because I love exercising normally). In addition, I'm in the midst of morning sickness and it's hard to eat anything without feeling like puking. Crackers, plain popcorn and cereal are my friends right now, as well as drinks like boost or ensure and lots of water. I've lost 10 lbs so far but apparently that's normal. Anyone have advice for making it thru the day? (I'll be attending classes next week so I can't just lay in bed) I have a busy two weeks ahead of me where I will be going from 8AM to 10:30 PM and I'm just dreading it!

I suppose I more need support than advice right now, and I know you ladies have plenty of both. Thanks for reading my rant-y post. :D

bargoo
01-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Bargoo - I appreciate that. I'm only concerned because I am quite far ahead of what one would consider an appropriate or healthy amount to gain during a pregnancy. I get that I'm not going to stay the same weight, but I wouldn't anticipate gaining as much as I have at this point with the diet and exercise I'm doing. My midwife WAS concerned, in fact, until we reviewed my food log.

The concern is that excess weight gain can cause quite a few complications in pregnancy, so I'd wanted to avoid it. I'm trying not to worry since I know that I'm eating well, but this isn't "normal" pregnancy weight gain I'm worrying about...it's weight gain that is too much, too fast, inexplicably.

Your doctor should be telling you an approriate weight gain for you. Sometimes these medical people assume that we know or they just are busy and forget to tell us all we need to know. I am not pregnant but have been and have given birth, I hope I am not being a busy body.
Just for the record there is a baby coming in my family. too and adoption is involved, actually it is quite a mess, I am planning on making the best of it.

keller237
01-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Racrane- Sure and welcome! When is your due date? Theres also another rmom on here thats putting her baby up for adoption! It's a hard thing, but as that babys mother you do know best for your own child!

So tired! I had my nephew at 6am this morning and he decided to shriek and cry for an hour and a half- just because I wouldn't hold him the whole time like my sister does. Went to talk to my mechanic about a new car today. Hopefully, I can get this figured out in the next couple months so I don't have to settle on a car i don't really like or a buy here pay here place right before or after lil guy is here. I just want to get everything done. Also Went to the secondhand stores today. They had tons of outfits that were practically new for a dollar each on clearance! Most name brand, some still had tags. What a great deal!

I'm Starting to make invites for the baby shower as i'm customizing them myself since it will be cheaper to just print them off. My sister is throwing it, but doesn't wanna buy invites lol I started a registry too. Too soon? Idk! But it's taking forever to add stuff me and DF can agree on. I really do have most of the say but I don't want something if he absolutely hates it!

Hope you ladies are having a fantastic day! Off to do homework. I miss high school!

MindiV
01-13-2012, 08:09 AM
Bargoo, I'm in the same boat as Amanda. Inexplicable weight gain. I'm eating right, working out 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week at a good (yet safe) intensity and burning calories just as always. I'm eating fruits and veggies and not pigging out on anything. And yet I'm up 23 pounds at 22 weeks. My doctor told me no more than 25-35 pounds....and right now I'm up 2 pounds a week every week, and I KNOW the baby isn't gaining that much!!! Just worries me that something is wrong in there!

racrane
01-13-2012, 12:45 PM
keller237: I'm due August 29th, so right at the end of summer. I'm honestly not looking forward to being the most pregnant at the hottest month of the year for Wisconsin. But that's life.

Sakai
01-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Hi everyone! sorry for being gone for so long. Life got in the way again, you know how it goes.

Racrane-p Hi! I'm the other mom Keller was talking about ^.^

Ladies!! I think I'm feeling false labor or the worst bout of gas I have ever felt in my life!
Not passing gas though, it's like it's trapped. so many people say it's falce labor. But I thought 19 weeks was too early for false labor pains? Is it? The pain is high on my belly, well above my belly button and it swops around my sides to my lower back. It's been going on for the past 24 hours. It was so bad yesterday that it work me from the middle sleeping because no matter how I lay it hurt. it wasn't in waves, it was just a constant pain. I woke my DF which must of freaked him out because it must of looked like I was in labor they way I B***'in and moaning about it. ^.^
Gas meds seemed to have helped which leds me to think it's just gas that wont move, but the pain keeps coming back.
It's the weekend and ER bills are beastly...I should be okay to wait until monday as long as it isn't much worse? I"m not spotting or anything so I'm not worried, but i don't want to wait till it's too late.

mandalinn82
01-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Hi everyone,

This is the kind of week where I've just been trying to keep my head above water!

A little bit of semi-scary news at our ultrasound on Wednesday, although logically it isn't likely to be anything of consequence - our boy has a little dilation in both of his kidneys. This means that, for whatever reason, at the time of the ultrasound, he had a little urine built up in the storage area of the kidneys, making them bigger than average. This is a pretty common finding (they see it in maybe 1-3% of ultrasounds, much more commonly in boys than girls), and generally doesn't result in any serious complications.

In the vast majority of cases, it either is a blip that goes away in subsequent ultrasounds (I found some interesting research showing that it could be related to maternal hydration...and I am NOTHING if not well hydrated, plus they made me chug a big bottle of water so I'd have a full bladder for the cervical measurements, so I was SUPER hydrated), or something that the baby grows out of before birth or by the time he is 2 years old, without any necessary interventions other than possible antibiotics to prevent bladder and kidney infections.

However, it CAN be a marker for chromosomal abnormalities (but we are extremely low risk due to my age and donor's age, our son has no other so called "soft markers", and our first and second trimester screenings both came back with odds of having any sort of chromosomal problem as 1/4000 or so, so that is extremely unlikely in our case), or it CAN be a urinary tract problem that requires intervention after he's born (which would be a fairly non-invasive surgery) or even before he's born (which would obviously be only in severe cases). The main concern if his kidneys were non-functional in utero would be that the amniotic fluid levels would get too low, and he'd have to be delivered early or would have trouble breathing because of it, but again, that would be really rare and would only occur in very severe cases.

So we have to go back for a Level 2 ultrasound to check out his kidneys, his spine, and his nuchal fold (the last two, presumably, are to check for Down syndrome and other chromosomal issues). I am trying to focus on the 95% of the time that this finding is basically incidental, instead of focusing on the much smaller percentage of things that could really be a problem. And of course, I'm not drinking a ton of water before that ultrasound!!

Luckily he reassures me with his flip flopping around. Sarah has started reading books to my belly, and he loves it.

butterflymama
01-15-2012, 12:50 AM
racrane - Welcome.

Sakai - Good to hear from you, I was getting worried :) It sounds like maybe trapped gas. At 19 weeks the top of your uterus is only at about your belly button so if you were having contractions or braxton hicks they would most likely be lower. I would rest if you can and make sure your drinking enough water as dehydration can cause contractions/braxton hicks, just to be on the safe side.

Manadlinn- Wow that is nerve wracking news. I think you are wise to go with focusing on the 95% chance it just being incidental. When do you go for your level 2 ultrasound? I will be sending healthy kidney vibes out to your little guy.

So I have had two neat experiences this past week. I am pretty sure I felt my first movement from the outside. I was lying on the couch and reading with my hand resting on my lower belly and I felt a little bump from the inside and at the same time a bump to my hand. It was just under my belly button so would be near the top of my uterus :) The second was I think I felt the baby having hiccups, it was these rhythmical little taps coming every 3 seconds or so for about a min or so low on my left side. DS used to get hiccups at least twice a day in utero but I don't think I felt them before 25 weeks or so but it really did feel like when he would get them but smaller :)

So I have my anatomy scan on Wed and I am feeling a bit anxious. Ugh, I love ultrasounds because you get to see the baby and feel reassured when everything is good but I also get so anxious that there will be some problem discovered. Anyway I know stressing about it wont change the outcome either way so I am just trying to focus on the positive and the bigger odds that all will be wonderful!

MindiV
01-15-2012, 08:19 AM
Hey y'all!

Sakai...I agree. I bet it's gas! But with anything, I always say if you're worried and it doesn't go away, call your doctor just to be sure. If nothing else it will set your mind at ease!

Amanda...pretty stressful news! But like you said, I bet it turns out to be nothing hugely major. Keeping my fingers crossed for you...and look on the bright side, you get another ultrasound to see your little man!! :)

Butterflymama...I get the same way too before ultrasounds, for sure. But this one is cool. You get to see the baby forever!! The odds of there being a problem are small. Just enjoy it!

As for me, I had WAY too much caffeine yesterday. Accidentally made a pot of full caffeine coffee to drink instead of decaf. Whoops! Didn't realize until it was gone.

I get worried sometimes because I don't feel a ton of movement. I mean, a lot of y'all, and the ladies I'm friends with on Facebook from another board, say they feel all kinds of movement and can even SEE the baby moving in their bellies sometimes. I get sporadic kicks and punches, and that's it. Couple of times one hour, then nothing forever, then a few times and that's all for the day.

At what point do you begin to worry that there's not enough movement??

keller237
01-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Mindi- My doctor told me not to count kicks or pay attention to how often until 28 weeks. Because of her size, he said it's normal and that as long as you feel your baby kick at least once everyday not to worry. Before finding out the gender, he also said sometimes kicks can be a sign-- that girls tends to be lazier and less active. I think most of us are having boys lol

Racrane- It'll be okay! At least theres pools you can go in. Just enjoy your pregnancy and don't focus on little things like that.

Sakai- Glad to hear from you! My doctor warned me about braxton hicks around 22 weeks. He said it's not common to start that early, but some women do. It would be low and shouldn't cause a backache. It sounds like gas that you're describing. Maybe ask your doctor about taking some gas medicene to relieve it?

Manda- How stressful! Way to focus on the positive though as most would see the "bad" in it. Sending good thoughts your way.

Buttefly- Are you finding out the gender or waiting? Yay for the movement. How exciting!

On my end, they released my dad a couple days ago unable to figure out what's wrong. He was told to take it easy for a couple days but is back to work and on doctor monitoring 2+ times a week for now. They said if it happens again, they can go in and do some kind of further testing but he was exhausted from being bugged so much!

For the past 4 nights, I get these upper thigh, groin and hip pains. It feels like sombody is kicking me in the crotch. It hurts to walk or move. I couldn't even get up to eat last night and it took me ten minutes to get to the bathroom, maybe 25 feet away. I was in so much pain. It's not here in the morning when I get up, only after i've been on the couch for a long time doing homework or when I lie down to sleep. I googled it(Bad idea but what else do I do at 3am?!) and it said something about pressure being put on a nerve and that there is nothing to do if it doesn't go away on it's own. So now i'm hopeless. I think i'm going to call my doctor tuesday when they are open if it continues but i'm not making a trip to the er over it. DF about cried last night watching me crying and moaning in pain.

MindiV
01-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Keller,I've heard that the baby may start pushing on a nerve....you may get it checked out!! And hope all goes well with your dad. Maybe it was some fluke spasm or something that won't happen again...

I may have heard about not counting kicks til after 28 weeks. It was just weird because she was in there doing flips daily for like a week and then suddenly nothing...even after I eat which I could always count on before.

mandalinn82
01-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Keller - when you're sitting on the couch and it hurts, how are you positioned? It sounds like Pelvic Girdle pain, which can be made worse by sitting up with your legs out straight in front of you and your back slouched. So if you're sitting with your feet up and your back against the couch arm or etc, you might try curling one leg up or otherwise changing positions.

I said I'm *trying* not to focus on the negatives. Some days are more successful than others.

MindiV
01-15-2012, 06:08 PM
So here's a random question for you...after having a baby, how long are women told to take it easy? I've never heard of a single woman released to go back to normal activities (including working out) before six weeks.

Just curious...something I was wondering about today!

Gale02
01-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Mindi- They say 6 weeks, but I've been released after 4 weeks with both of mine. I was out for very slow, easy walks within 72 hours. It's different if you have a c-section, both of mine were vaginal births with no complications. Oh, and I have never been able to wait longer than 3 weeks to have sex. Shhhhh... don't tell my doctor. ;)

keller237
01-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Manda- Thats exactly how I sit. However, even trying to move, sit with one leg up, bent, etc etc actually makes it feel tens time worse. And once I lay down, i'm done for and can't get up. Sitting in a chair with good posture hurts too.

It's just after 6:30 and i'm already in excruciating pain and crying. My DF is trying to get me to go to the er but I hate them and only have bad memories of being pregnant in the er. I can't even get up to pee without rolling off the couch because it hurts so bad.

Mindi- All the moms i know have been told six weeks for vaginal delivery, eight weeks for c-section. However, i know people who have gone back to work within a week of having a baby due to money issues. My sisters doctor made her wait 10 weeks, but her baby was 2 weeks overdue and a few complications from size.

MindiV
01-15-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm getting six weeks off from work, but it's gonna be hard to not work out for six weeks! DH thinks I'm crazy...but it's gonna be like losing my right arm after doing it five days a week for five years!

Gale02
01-15-2012, 09:38 PM
You might be surprised. It's not like you'll be sitting around the house with nothing to do. :)

mandalinn82
01-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Keller - I had a couple days like this. I laid down flat, and made sure to stop sitting like I described on the couch. In four days or so, it was better. Seriously, sitting like that = bad. Warm baths helped a lot, too.

keller237
01-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Manda- lying flat and warm baths make the pain more intense. I tried both yesterday and today. The only thing that even helps a little bit is to lay on my stomach, which I can't do if I've eaten recntly. Laying on my right takes the pressure off since its mainly sharp pains on my left inner thigh but it still hurts! It seems like a never ending pain :(

mandalinn82
01-15-2012, 11:02 PM
How are you sleeping? It helped me a lot to lay with a pillow between my knees, particularly when I was asleep, it seemed to relax my hips a bit.

keller237
01-16-2012, 06:39 AM
Usually on my right side. Pillow between knees. Pillow between upper thigh. And a flat pillow under my stomach/side.

Usually its gone by the time I wake up, but the pain actually woke me up this morning.

MindiV
01-16-2012, 09:37 AM
No longer worried about no movement...she'd kicking like crazy this morning! I wonder if it's my Monday through Friday workouts that get her going early...and on the weekends she's lazy like me!

Sakai
01-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Hi Ladies!

The pain went away ^.^ not sure what it turned out to be... I still think it was gas.

Mindi- I still haven't felt anything from the baby that is for sure the baby and not a random cramp or gas. I'm just 19 weeks though and there is a nice layer of fat right over the baby bump so I'm sure it will take some time before I feel it on the outside. Right now I'm just waiting to feel it on the inside.

Ultrasound on wednesday! hopefully we'll find out if it's a boy or a girl!

Keller-Have you tried taking anything for the pain? It's the weekday now so have you thought about going in to talk about what it could be and how to manage it?

MindiV
01-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Sakai, I started feeling stuff around 19 weeks, so I bet you do anytime!! Glad the pain is gone!

keller237
01-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Sakai- Tylenol don't work and the on call nurse I spoke with on Friday afternoon said not to take anything else without being seen. However because it's a holiday(MLK) the schools, doctors, and banks are all closed around here so I can't call my doctor until tomorrow.

Mindi- Glad to hear she's kicking!

racrane
01-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Sakai, I'm glad the pain went away. :)

I have a question. Does anyone know of some really good pregnancy resources (online or books) specifically for men? My boyfriend really is curious and wants to learn but doesn't like the books I"m reading that's geared for women. I've seen a few but wondering if you may know anything that your partners may have really liked. Thank you so much!

As for me, I'm craving Taco Bell. I hate that place normally so don't understand why all of a sudden I want a cheesy potato burrito from there. :D

keller237
01-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Racrane- My DF read "The expectant Father" I think it's by Armin Brott?. He said he really liked the information and the way it "talked" to fathers but some of it was aimed at an "average sexist" man.