Old 11-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 291.3/236.1/150

Default Getting a cold

Need some ideas for sick food ... Trying to get some done before it really hits... Anyone have a super chicken soup recipe or make a meal lasts a few ideas... Oh and what about Cold and Flu meds are the capsules ok while the liquid has carbs? Or any other soup recipes...

Last edited by rho1640; 11-08-2011 at 08:36 AM.
rho1640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #2  

Lol I see 86 people have read this with no replies so I guess everyone is wondering the same thing.

Here are a few things I'm going to do - look up some soup recipes and be sure I have everything on hand and the recipes already printed out. I also bought frozen cut up mixed peppers and diced onion - that way I won't have to actually stand and clean and cut and clean up any of those items. I can just measure out what the recipe calls for.

If I had any freezer room at all I would make some ahead and put in the freezer in individual portions to just grab...but nephew dropped off some elk and we just got some fresh local bay scallops and I used all my freezer room that was left for those.

I do have ground beef that is already browned in the freezer so I can make something up using that - a quick stuffed peppers or zucchini or something.

I think I am going to make a section of my notebook called sick meals with recipes and shopping lists in there so I can just open it up and make something easy.

I'm still planning of getting some individual sizes of meals frozen as I empty out the freezer a bit. So far DayQuil is helping --- but I always get sick a few times between now and New Years..

So everyone add recipes or ideas here ... We all can use ideas I'm sure. I can't be the only one stumped can I?
Old 11-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 264/264/199

Height: 5'10"

Here's a thread I started a few weeks ago...could be something in there that may help you:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atki...ort-foods.html
SaskNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

I get hot and sour soup from chinese takeouts. I know it's not the lowest carb option as I'm sure the corn starch it some, but it beats many other options, and it opens my head up if it's more hot than sour.

Another of my faves is chicken meat, chicken broth, salt, ginger (fresh or not depending on the pantry), veggies - usually in shreds or small dice, egg scrambled and poured in when nearly done then add some lemon juice. Sort of egg drop soup? I'm no good at egg ribbons, but it still tastes good. As far as measurements - I'm no good at measuring or being consistent, just keep it more broth than stuff, and go a little salty.

Taco soup - I don't recall my exact recipe - but it involves cheese, rotel tomatoes or plain diced tomatoes, ground beef, taco seasoning. I'd make it spicy if my sinuses were clogged.

good stash of teas, low carb hot cocoa, coffee should all be good too.

Sorry you are getting sick. I've started a scratchy throat so I'm afraid I am too. Feel fine in morning, by the time I'm leaving work my throats scratchy. Oh, dear.

Get well soon!!!
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #5  

Thanks - some good ideas here and Sask thanks there were some onyour thread too..

I'm wondering it it isn't just sinus issues - all day my ears hurt my eyes hurt and around my nose was sore - tonight I tried sinus pills and Advil and while I'm still not normal (well I'm never normal lol) it feels a little better .. I also got a small ultrasonic humidifier and set it up near my chair maybe that will help too.

Last nights dinner took some work but oh so worth it - scallop season started this week so tonight was fried scallops (egg wash and LC White flour) mashed cauliflower and cocktail made from low sugar ketchup, our horseradish and a squirt of lemon and worstershire. The best part I have leftovers for tomorrow after a meeting and while hubster is at a dinner meeting. This was the first time I used the flour so I did a blood glucose tests almost an hour and then 2 hours after eating.. About an hour after was 122 but by 2 hours it was 84 and no cravings or anything ... So while It won't be a part of my diet often it is good to know I have it available for this-- and we will have them a few more times before they are gone ..
Old 11-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #6  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

I posted my cauliflower soup recipe on Sask' s comfort food thread/ I also have a great recipe for some spicy chicken vegetable soup if you're interested...it will kick your sinus' butt big time

Last edited by islandchick1; 11-10-2011 at 08:35 PM.
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

Howds da nodse rho?

Just checkin' in, hope you are on the mend.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:31 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandchick1 View Post
I posted my cauliflower soup recipe on Sask' s comfort food thread/ I also have a great recipe for some spicy chicken vegetable soup if you're interested...it will kick your sinus' butt big time
I would love the spicy chicken veg soup - I love spicy .. I generally have to make two versions of things a spicy for me an less spicy for hubs..
Old 11-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Kel View Post
Howds da nodse rho?

Just checkin' in, hope you are on the mend.
I'm doing good - just uncomfortable from it - there is something going around that is kicking people butts and making the doctors lots of money so I count myself a super lucky I didn't get that..

I'm still tryinf to collect ideas like everyone has shared so I can have everything on hand and recipes printed out just in case .. For later in the winter. I get the flu or bronchitis at least once a year so I want to have a plan in place - and things that hubs can cook if need be ..