Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #1  

Default Do I need to join a gym?

With Christmas coming and the budget focused on my kids, I can't afford to join a gym right now. I need to tone up my arms and was wondering if I can do this with free weights and dumb bell weights. I have two 15 lb hand weights and 2 25 lb hand weights. Can I achieve some toning just using these without gym machines?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!!
SusannaIsTooFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #2  
Empress/Queen

The free weights and resistance bands are better than machines. You definitely don't need to join a gym, just hit the arms from all angles, with a lot of variety and eat clean.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Hi Susanna,

There are some great Sticky threads in this forum on exercises to do at home: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...ning-home.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...d-workout.html

Gym machines are actually not as good as functional workouts (onewhich use natural movements). The best part of the gym are the dumbbells and barbells, of which you have a few at home already.

There are also a lot of free yoga videos online. Yoga can build strength and is a great component to a lifting routine. Go to YouTube or search around on Google.

Good luck!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #4  

Amarantha, thanks for the quick reply! Tomorrow I begin using my hand weights! You rock!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:21 AM   #5  

No you don't need to join a gym. IMO yoga's amazing and I'd go for that.

As far as your arms, any pushing exercise (such as push ups) will tone the back of your arms, and any pulling exercise will tone your biceps.

The most important thing to remember with an resistance exercise esp free weights is to use slow controlled movement.

Ohh and don't forget to breathe.
Have fun!

Last edited by Gabriel Aidra; 11-08-2011 at 02:22 AM.
Gabriel Aidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiblue View Post
There are some great Sticky threads in this forum on exercises to do at home:

There are also a lot of free yoga videos online. Yoga can build strength and is a great component to a lifting routine.

indiblue, I'm sorry I missed your reply last night!
Thanks for the links. And as for yoga, I used to LOVE yoga in my slimmer days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Aidra MD View Post
No you don't need to join a gym. IMO yoga's amazing and I'd go for that.

Ohh and don't forget to breathe.
Have fun!

Ok, now I'm really excited to get started. I'll try to remember to report back on my progress!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #7  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

You don't need to join a gym. But, I am not sure how much exercise you have done in the past and if you are a weights beginner, my personal opinion is that 15 and 25-lb weights may be a tad too heavy. You need to build up your strength, so perhaps you can invest into a pair of 5lb, 8lb and 10lb weights? Or could you borrow them from anyone, let's say for 2 months?

Stop at a book store and pick an issue of Oxygen (exercise magazine for women). you will plenty of exercises that can be done at home. Also, I would recommend bying a Swiss ball (that will run you down maybe $15?)
Oxygen is my bible, I subscribe to it and I have to say it is the best mag out there.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #8  

Definitely don't need a job. I lost 50 lbs at home
klynnwalker4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

No gym for me either. I started walking, then slowly progressed into running. I added 30-Day Shred by Julian Michaels here and there. I did push ups and bicycle crunches too.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 11-21-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #10  

You don't need to join a gym to lose weight. You can start by jogging or biking around your block. You can do so many different ab exercises, squats, push-ups, lift various heavy items, etc. at home. You can garden or vacuum, which loses some calories as well. remember to eat healthy as well or all the exercises aren't getting you anywhere. And recruit someone to do with with you. Good luck!
RHay is offline   Reply With Quote