Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #31  
4ever Dieter

S/C/G: 210/185/140

Height: 5"3 1/2

Awww April Snow, I hope you feel better , then is nothing worse then being sick and trying to get healthy at the same time, especially if you are following a plan... the only way it COULD be worse if it was that TOM.

Speaking of TOM, I started Dukan while having the start of my TOM, then as usually mine goes away and comes back a week later (contribute that to my PCOS/Endo probs) so I really do not feel like I have lost any weight. That being said, I also haven't weighed myself. My reason for this is well, I hate the scale and get obsessed with weighing myself lol but also because I had hit a plateau from earlier in the year so I know what my weight has been, and I rather weigh myself at the end of Attack and see an overall loss, although with the TOM and the eating out I had to do (2 more instances in addition to the previous 2 planned)...I am still motivated and such... just nervous I guess to step ON the scale.

@Flora - OMG It is SO hard to avoid meeting food... when I used to organize meeting (back when I was still an Executive Assistant) I tried to mix it up a bit and also incorporate some healthier options then always having sammies!

@luvs_violets - I haven't made the galette as of yet, as I have used my oat bran in the muffin recipes I have been experimenting with, I hear it is delish and here is the standard recipe from the Dukan Diet site:

"This light and easy pancake is a tasty way to eat your daily dose of oat bran. Make it sweet or savory.

1 egg white
1 1/2 tbsp oat bran
1 1/2 tbsp fat-free plain greek yogurt
1 tsp Splenda for a sweet pancake
-or-
pepper, herbs and/or chopped garlic for a savory pancake

After mixing all ingredients until smooth, pour into a non-stick pan over medium heat. If needed, add only a small bit of oil to help keep from sticking.

Basically, these are made like your typical breakfast pancakes as you flip and cook them in the same manner. I think it takes a certain skill to achieve the perfect pancake, this will come with time.

With the savory pancake, these can be used in place of bread to make a sandwich with your favorite lean deli meat or possibly even used in place of the bun for a turkey burger. The possibilities are endless.

Get creative as oat bran is a daily requirement for the Dukan Diet Plan."

Congrats to everyone on their successes, losses, and other things that make us when the outlook is good
Old 11-16-2011, 02:56 AM   #32  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

MMM to the oatbran in anything!
I make muffins in the microwave, which I then 'ice' with some low fat soft cheese mixed with Splenda.
I sprinkle 1 T oatbran plus 1 t Splenda over plain soya yogurt - it tastes like a nutty kind of sundae, lovely!

1 question: does anyone have a week of menus they could post? I'm eating terribly basically at the moment and sort of on a day to day basis. I'd like to buy in stuff and make up meals in advance to freeze but I can't seem to get integrated.....
Old 11-17-2011, 03:36 AM   #33  

Height: 5ft 7

Hi Rosinante,
I don't have a week of menus - in fact I don't really use recipes. What I do cook quite often is chicken or prawns and then I stir in 0% creme fraiche with a teaspoon of thai herbs to pep it up a bit. I also use a lot of wholegrain mustard in cooking on this diet.
I have recently got into eating more liver and kidneys as the meat flavors are less dreary. I don't eat beef so I find it can be quite difficult.

Yesterday I was in an all day meeting where only sandwiches and cut fruit were available. I nipped across the road to a tiny store where I managed to get a salad - although I was on a PP day I thought it was better than sandwiches, but today was weigh in morning and I have only lost 1lb. I'm gutted. Perhaps I am hitting a plateau. I might try 2 x PP followed by 2 x PV to shake things up a bit...

Flora x
Old 11-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #34  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

thanks for the well wishes. I am finally better and finally done with the antibiotics and back on plan as of this morning!

I ended up gaining 10 lbs which is crazy because there is no way I was eating 3500 excess calories a day! I'm not even upset because it's just so clearly crazy. I am expecting it to come off pretty quickly and I can get back to losing "new weight." I'm doing Attack for a week (except for a couple of PV meals) and then back to Cruise and hope to see at least a big chunk of that 10 lbs gone by the end of the month.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #35  

Height: 5ft 7

April Snow - I bet a lot of the weight could be water retention. I'm sure you will lose it fast!
Flora x
Old 11-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #36  
Happy Plodder

Apirl - glad you're better! You have a geat attitude, so those antibiotic lbs will soon be gone!

Question: Can you get delayed "carb flu"? I've felt wonderful for nearly 5 weeks and just totally meh today. Can't think of any other reason but hope I come round tomorrow!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #37  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Thanks Flora and Rosinante! I was already down 2.6 this morning, so I am definitely optimistic the rest will go soon. And I feel SO much better physically - it's actually kind of amazing that I noticed a change so quickly.

Rosinante - it's not necessarily induction flu but esp. still towards the beginning (which 5 weeks is), I found that I was sometimes so low on carb that I didn't feel great. I would eat some extra dairy carbs (it was usually days where I didn't have any greek yogurt) and that helped. The other thing I found was that I could not save up my oat bran to have later in the day, I had to have it in the morning to feel really good. You can always have an extra portion later in the day as your tolerated food for the day, but if you aren't eating oat bran in the morning, I would try that.

And if neither of those things works, you may just have a regular virus or something like that.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #38  

Hi guys,
My weight loss has slowed a lot in the past week or so. Which is ludicrous as i have been the most 'perfect on plan' that i have ever been. The only thing i can think of is i have stepped up my exercise, i walk an hour a day with my dog, but have also added a weight program at the gym. I know that muscle weighs more than fat so maybe thats why things have slowed?? However muscle burns fat so surely i should see the numbers change soon? If anyone knows the science behind that or just some advice i would really sincerely appreciate it. Its so hard seeing the scale not move a gram for 3 days straight, and i get very easily downhearted when things like this happen. Help please!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #39  
Happy Plodder

Thanks, April, glad you're well on the way.

I've definitely been very, Very low carb this week, and in fact, yesterday was low food altogether, so maybe I was just totally flat.
Breakfast: 2 oatbran muffins (1.5 T oatbran content)
Lunch: Hard boiled egg with soft cheese
Snack: 100g corned beef
Dinner: 100g corned beef, hb egg, soft cheese
It was one of those days when I was eating up leftovers. I think it just wasn't enough. Having a gentle day today.

I may need to review my 4 days PP, 3 days PV pattern. While I find it easier to stick to, I find it quite hard to give up the PP, and I am so not hungry that I eat very little sometimes, not that good a plan.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #40  

Rosinate, i have oatbran for breakfast every day, and look forward to it! I make it into a porridge, 1 part Oatbran to 3 parts water, microwave for 1 minute and voila! You can add cinnamon and sweetner and a little trim milk - or i quite often have it on its own, delish!

For lunch i have things like salmon sashimi (gets expensive so do this only from time to time) with a bit of low sodium soy sauce and the teeniest bit of picked ginger. It feels like eating sushi, but without the nasty rice! This week i bought a hot roasted chicken and dismantled it and put it in a container and have been noshing on that at lunchtime (i gave the skin to the dog to remove the temptation). I also have a george foreman grill so sometimes grill some white fish or chicken breast/tenderloin, and make up some sauces either with yoghurt / garlic or marinates with lemon thyme, the choices are endless!

I will also post some delicious recipes i have collected for dinners, they are mainly recipes from Nigella Lawson and Jamie Oliver etc, chefs i like, and i have just tweaked them a little to dukanify them.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #41  

Nigella Express – Beef Skewers with horseradish dip

500g beef rump
11/2 x 15ml tablespoons of good-quality red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
3 x 15ml tablespoons freshly grated horseradish or hot horseradish sauce or cream
2 x 15ml tablespoons rosemary needles (or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary), plus 1 bunch rosemary for garnish (optional)
60ml olive oil
2 x 15ml tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
200g Yoghurt
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon Maldon salt or generous pinch of table salt
4 x 15ml tablespoons chopped chives

Cut the beef into 2.5cm cubes, and put into a freezer bag with the vinegar and 1 tablespoon of the freshly grated horseradish or 1 tablespoon hot horseradish sauce. Add the 2 tablespoons of fresh rosemary (or 1 teaspoon of dried), and the olive oil, Worcestershire sauce and port. Leave for at least 20 minutes, but preferably overnight, in the fridge.
Let the meat come to room temperature, and soak about 10 bamboo skewers in water at the same time.
Make the dip, by beating together the yoghurt, the remaining 2 tablespoons of freshly grated horseradish or 2 tablespoons hot horseradish sauce, the Dijon mustard, salt and the chives, leaving some chives to sprinkle over the top.
Heat a grill or griddle, then thread 3 or 4 pieces of meat onto each skewer and slap on the heat, turning after 2 minutes. Cook for another 2 minutes on the other side and then remove to a plate, strewn with some sprigs of rosemary if desired. Do not serve while grill-hot.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #42  

Steak Slice with Lemon and Thyme

1 x 2.5cm-thick rump steak, approx. 600g
5 stalks thyme, to give 1 x 15ml tablespoon stripped leaves
2 bruised cloves garlic
80ml extra virgin olive oil
Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon Maldon salt or 1/2 teaspoon table salt
Good grinding of fresh pepper

Cut away the fat from around the edge of the steak while you heat a griddle or heavybased pan.
Brush the steak with oil to prevent it sticking to the griddle or pan, and cook for 3 minutes a side plus 1 minute each side turned again (this gives you pretty griddle marks) for desirably rare meat; the lemon in the post-hoc marinade "cooks" it a little more.
While the steak is cooking, place the thyme leaves, garlic, oil, lemon zest and juice, and salt and pepper in a wide, shallow dish.
Once the steak is cooked, place it in the dish of marinade for 4 minutes a side, before removing it to a board and slicing thinly on the diagonal.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #43  

Mustard Pork Chops

2 pork chops, approx. 450g total
2 teaspoons garlic oil
125ml cider vinegar
1 x 15ml tablespoon dijon mustard
75ml Ricotta

Cut the fat or rind off the chops, and then bash them briefly but brutally with a rolling pin between two pieces of clingfilm to make them thinner.
Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan and cook the chops over a moderately high heat for about 5 minutes a side. Remove them to a warmed plate.
Pour the cider into the pan, still over the heat, to de-glaze the pan. Let it bubble away for a minute or so, then add the mustard and stir in the ricotta.
Let the sauce continue cooking for a few minutes before pouring over each plated pork chop.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #44  

Vegetarian Chilli

1 Clove Of Garlic
1 Can Of Red Kidney Beans
1 Can Of Chopped Tomatoes
2 Mugs Full Of Red Split lentils
1 Onion
2 Carrots
Sprinkle Of Chilli Powder

Chop The Onion And Fry Until Done. (Be Boiling The Lentils In A Separate Saucepan)
Add To The Onions The Garlic , The Kidney Beans And The Chopped Tomatoes And Stir Well,
When The Lentils Are Done, Add Them To The Mixture.
Add Everything Else To The Mixture , Stir Well. And Leave For 5 Mins To Cook Then Its Done!
Old 11-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #45  

I have also been making dessert from sugarfree jelly, mixed with low fat yoghurt. Once set it is kind of like a pudding! I have some iceblock moulds, and the same mixture makes a lovely frozen yoghurty type thing. Great for the sweet pangs i get mid afternoon and after dinner.
Closed Thread