Old 11-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #1  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Default Why is it so hard to give up those old clothes?

I'll start off by saying that I've never attempted weight loss before, at least not seriously. I also maintained my 200 pound starting weight for a good five years and have therefore been at size 14/16/18 for those five years. You can imagine how many clothes I have in that size then.

For reference, I'm now a size 4/6/8, leaning more toward the lower end of that.

For some reason I've had a hard time giving up the many, many clothes that are simply too large for me to wear. I've always been a bit of a procrastinator, so I thought it was just me, putting things off to the last second.

Well I've bagged up my clothes and some of them are still sitting around, in bags. I've taken some of them out and tried them on, perhaps still wondering if I would miraculously fit in them. Of course they're comically large, I don't know why I bother.

I don't know though, recently something changed and the months of procrastinating have suddenly stopped. I've been giving my mother all of my old clothes and in turn she's been distributing them to friends who are either that size or have daughters in those sizes. A fried of mine is taking work clothes in those sizes.

It's as if something snapped recently and I just changed. I don't exactly know what it is, but I'm wondering if I suddenly realized that I don't need the safety blanket of those clothes anymore. I CAN get rid of them and it will be ok. I mean I'm still boggling at the fact that I wear smalls and mediums now, but yeah, it's real and I CAN get rid of those 1X and 2X clothes now...

Has anyone else had this issue? Did anyone else suddenly realize that it's ok to give up the clothes?
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 300+/Ticker!/140 lbs

Height: 5'8" Age: 27

I've definitely had the same problem! While I enjoy the larger selection of cute clothes in the "normal" sizes I can fit into now, I really do miss some of my favorite old clothes.

A few of them are t-shirts so now I sleep in those comfy over-sized shirts. I kept all my old pajamas and still sleep in them, though they're huge now. I like wearing soft, flowing clothes to bed so reusing clothes for that purpose has given a second life to them so I don't have to take them all to the Goodwill!
Riesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/135.8/13?

Height: 5'6"

Yeah, thought I'm still stuck in hording mode. I have bags and bags of clothing that I go through every few months, and I always intend to sort though things but never seem to finish.

I don't know, maybe its the security of the appearance of having a lot of clothes, even though I have few that actually fit I just can't really afford to buy many more, so having clothes around makes me forget that I only have one pair of pants that aren't falling off and maybe 10 shirts that are all for warm weather and now its getting cold.
flashfacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #4  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 147/ticker/fit

Height: 5' 0.7"

I am the same way. I recently gave away 75% of my wardrobe but still cant come around to giving away my jeans. Each pair cost me over $200 and I just can't come to terms with giving it away yet.
Ryler832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/157.5/135

Height: 5'1"

I'm still wearing mine even after losing 50 lbs! They are ridiculously big, but don't want to buy "interim" clothes. Actually they were uncomfortably tight before, so are not too bad yet. But, when I meet my goal will definitely need to shop.

Connie S
suttercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

This is the 3rd and LAST time I Am losing weight. Each other times I saved my fat clothes "just in case.".. NOT this time.

Once I Am a size smaller in jeans.. out go my jeans that are too big. Shirts I do keep a little longer if they are tees and I can wear them to bed.

I DO however have 1 size 24 pants.. to keep in memory.. LOL and to try them on when I get to my goal weight.

Connie I know how you feel lol. Luckily I hit Walmart at the right time around the beginning of my journey and they had tons of jeans on clearance for 1 dollar!! (nice bootcut jeans.. not mom jeans )I bought 2 of each size all the way down to an 8... which now they are getting big...and I will have to pay normal price for jeans! I keep hoping to find some on clearance ^_ ~

Last edited by Jonsgurl0531; 11-01-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 300+/Ticker!/140 lbs

Height: 5'8" Age: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsgurl0531 View Post
Luckily I hit Walmart at the right time around the beginning of my journey and they had tons of jeans on clearance for 1 dollar!! (nice bootcut jeans.. not mom jeans )I bought 2 of each size all the way down to an 8... which now they are getting big...and I will have to pay normal price for jeans! I keep hoping to find some on clearance ^_ ~

I've had really good luck at outlet stores and overstock stores like TJMaxx/Marshalls. I found some awesome jeans on the clearance racks for $5 each so bought up several sizes and have them hanging in my closet for motivation!!
Riesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

I'm still working to get to this stage but just wanted to say....You ladies have AMAZING numbers. I was inspired just looking at your tickers!
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #9  
Leveling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riesz View Post
I've definitely had the same problem! While I enjoy the larger selection of cute clothes in the "normal" sizes I can fit into now, I really do miss some of my favorite old clothes.

A few of them are t-shirts so now I sleep in those comfy over-sized shirts. I kept all my old pajamas and still sleep in them, though they're huge now. I like wearing soft, flowing clothes to bed so reusing clothes for that purpose has given a second life to them so I don't have to take them all to the Goodwill!
I miss some of my old clothes too, which is probably one of the reasons why it's so hard to give them up I worked hard to come up with outfits that looked great on me and it's actually a little depressing that they're totally "obsolete" now.

I refuse to give up most of my T-shirts! I love wearing some of them as nightshirts and a few have some great memories attached to them. A lot of my t-shirts are also those tiny, tiny juniors shirts that relatives bought me in XL and 2X. They never quite fit and now they're comfortable, slightly big shirts!

I've been reusing some of my clothes to practice sewing and I've made a few bags out of my old jeans. Fun to have an original creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfacts View Post
Yeah, thought I'm still stuck in hording mode. I have bags and bags of clothing that I go through every few months, and I always intend to sort though things but never seem to finish.

I don't know, maybe its the security of the appearance of having a lot of clothes, even though I have few that actually fit I just can't really afford to buy many more, so having clothes around makes me forget that I only have one pair of pants that aren't falling off and maybe 10 shirts that are all for warm weather and now its getting cold.
I can't really afford a new set of clothes either. I've hit the clearance racks and kept an eye out for sales and I've done really well. It's a little unsettling for me to have so few clothes to wear..I'm not used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsgurl0531 View Post
This is the 3rd and LAST time I Am losing weight. Each other times I saved my fat clothes "just in case.".. NOT this time.

Once I Am a size smaller in jeans.. out go my jeans that are too big. Shirts I do keep a little longer if they are tees and I can wear them to bed.

I DO however have 1 size 24 pants.. to keep in memory.. LOL and to try them on when I get to my goal weight.
I need this attitude. The last thing I want is to gain the weight back D:

I'm keeping a pair of my size 18 pants too, just to compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riesz View Post
I've had really good luck at outlet stores and overstock stores like TJMaxx/Marshalls. I found some awesome jeans on the clearance racks for $5 each so bought up several sizes and have them hanging in my closet for motivation!!
That's what I did at Old Navy. I CLEANED UP. Half off clearance and a 25% off coupon...holy crap did I get a lot of clothes!

I found some nice pants at a thrift store too, like a pair of Charlotte Russe jeans for $4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by free1 View Post
I'm still working to get to this stage but just wanted to say....You ladies have AMAZING numbers. I was inspired just looking at your tickers!
You'll be joining us soon enough!
Old 11-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #10  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

I was having problems giving away my bigger clothes. I sucked because a lot of them were new and barely worn, I would put them on and try to make them look like they fit by tucking them in. It was a hard thing to come to terms with but the bigger clothes made me look bigger to! Then I thought why after all my hard work would I want to wear clothes that make me look bigger again?! It seemed crazy!

So I started packing things up one by one, a couple on here and a couple more there until the bag was full. Then I let it sit there for a couple weeks and then I finally realized that I didn't miss anything that was sitting in that bag and I took it to the second hand store Someone will get use out of those clothes and I will buy new ones! lol
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #11  
Leveling Up

Ugh...I have so many barely used clothes Isis, so I feel you. I actually have some I never wore! I would always buy stuff off-season to save money, but that's left me with a few things I never got to wear. I even have some brand new Torrid clothes.

I'm moving forward, slowly. I gave my mother more clothes today and she's giving them to a friend of ours' daughter I had some nice skinny jeans in her size and she's in high school (so you know, skinny jeans are it) so hopefully they'll fit her nicely.

I'm really glad to have people to give the clothes to. I think it's nice to help friends out, especially when they would do the same for me!

Last edited by sontaikle; 11-02-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

I really liked to hide in my fat clothes so people wouldn't hound me about my weight loss. Just recently I was forced to get rid of most of my fat clothes from accidently leaving a marker in the laundry. My shopping spree afterwards at the thrift store actually made me realize how much I didn't need to keep them. Now I have more bags of clothes! Hopefully by the summer I will give away my progress clothes!!
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote