Beck Diet Solution - The Solution from Scratch

View Full Version : The Solution from Scratch

Nelia
10-31-2011, 07:33 PM
In the past, I've found significant success with the Beck Diet Solution. However :

(1) I've drifted. I find myself surrendering to my sabotaging thoughts all too often; and

(2) I've not yet achieved my ultimate weight and body fat composition. Once I find myself within the realm of reasonable, my motivation to stay on task diminishes significantly.

That changes today. I will post each day of the Beck Diet Solution for the next six weeks. To ensure accountability, I'm creating my own thread, but company would be welcomed and most appreciated. If anyone else has just begun the Beck Diet Solution, I would love to join forces!

STARTING STATS

WEEK 1

Weight - 129.2 pounds
Body Fat - 24.5 points
Waist - 30.25 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

Long Term Goal - 118 pounds, 18% body fat

Short Term Goal - 124.2
Start Date - 1 November 2011
End Date -
Total Number of Days -

TODAY

1. Planned Diet.
Meal 1 - IF
Meal 2 - IF
Meal 3 - salmon salad

2. Planned Exercise.
First Round - Primal's moving slowly, light run in the royal gardens (completed this morning)
Second Round - Primal's sprints, treadmill

Nelia
10-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Day 1

Advantages Response Card

Nelia's ADVANTAGES (Enlightened)

■ I manage self according to my values and not immediate gratification.
■ I celebrate my physicality and give my body the appreciation it deserves.
■ I live an exceptional and full life. My intellectual, spiritual and physical capacity is unlimited.
■ I live healthfully, habitually and effortlessly.
■ I am equipped to eat healthy for two when pregnant.

Nelia's ADVANTAGES (Real Talk)

■ I am a bombshell. The essence of luscious, inside and out.
■ My jeans and my thighs get along. Damn it.
■ I profile. On a beach. In a bikini.
■ I don't feel like the jolly black (fat) giant while living in Cambodia. I represent.
■ I don't camouflage. I highlight and showcase.
■ Nothing in my closet is too small. Nothing.
■ When shopping with girlfriends, strategic positioning is no longer required in open dressing rooms.
■ My skin is crystal clear.
■ I hop onto my motorbike lightly.
■ I floss a coke bottle profile with a teeny tiny waist.
■ I no longer have a bean bag for a stomach that sags when I'm sleeping on my side. I'm lean with no extra baggage!

gardenerjoy
11-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Hi Nelia! Just here to cheer you on. Looks like a great start! Love the ADVANTAGES, especially the Real Talk version.

Nelia
11-01-2011, 06:22 PM
127.2 pounds
23.0 points (love after-IF weigh ins!)

TODAY

1. Planned Diet.
Meal 1 - salmon salad
Meal 2 - roasted ribs with pepper sauce
Meal 3 - bacon and pepper shrimp with cole slaw

(Yesterday) Actual Diet.
Meal 1 - IF
Meal 2 - IF
Meal 3 - salmon salad

2. Planned Exercise.
First Round - Primal's moving slowly, light run in the royal gardens (completed this morning)
Second Round - Primal's LHT

(Yesterday) Actual Exercise.
First Round - Primal's moving slowly, light run in the royal gardens
Second Round - Primal's moving slowly, recumbent stationary bike

Nelia
11-01-2011, 06:25 PM
@gardenerjoy Smooch! Thank you! Lord knows I need all the cheer I can get! And wow. Check out your weight loss! That's crazy inspiring! What's been your game plan?

Nelia
11-01-2011, 07:13 PM
DAY 2

Primary - Primal
Back up - Eat. Stop. Eat.

Sabotaging Thought. I want a fresh start, therefore I can't start until I find a fresh diet.

Helpful Response. Nelia. There's nothing fresh about consuming less calories than you burn. Stop being persnickety, pick a dang diet and let's get the scale moving.

Sabotaging Thought. I'm bored with diets. I'm just gonna wing it.

Helpful Response. Really, Nelia? Interesting. Because you don't seem bored when the number on the scale becomes smaller. And you certainly don't seem bored when you can slide on a pair of jeans without an epic battle. Winging it hasn't reduced the thunder in your thighs. A diet has. Pick one and stick with it.

BillBlueEyes
11-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Welcome to the Beck Forum, Nelia,

Love the notion of posting daily to hold yourself accountable for the 42 day Program. In fact, that's just what I did myself some four years ago, and it's been motivation enough for me to stick around.

I, too, love your Real Talk advantages. I particularly relate to "Nothing in my closet is too small. Nothing." The thought of owning clothes that are too big was a lost idea, LOL.

Feel free to continue posting here on your own thread, or feel free at anytime to join folks on the monthly thread. Or both. We're not big on administrative rules around here.

Glad you've joined us.

Nelia
11-02-2011, 07:28 PM
127.4 pounds
23.0 points

TODAY

1. Planned Diet.
Meal 1 - roasted ribs with pepper sauce, 2 boiled eggs
Meal 2 - stuffed chicken with spinach and feta
Meal 3 - chicken satay with peanut sauce

(Yesterday) Actual Diet.
Meal 1 - salmon salad
Meal 2 - roasted ribs with pepper sauce
Meal 3 - salad with chorizo

2. Planned Exercise.
Second Round - Primal's sprint, treadmill

Second Round - Primal's LHT

- - - - - - - - -

STARTING STATS

WEEK 1

Weight - 129.2 pounds
Body Fat - 24.5 points
Waist - 30.25 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

Short Term Goal - 124.2
End Date -
Total Number of Days -

Nelia
11-02-2011, 07:32 PM
@BillBlueEyes Thank you for the warm welcome! And I'll definitely be dropping by upstairs to see how the experts conduct themselves from time to time. Four years of maintenance is nothing to play with. Very impressive!

Question. Were you all by yourself for the entire 42 days? Or did anyone join you?

Nelia
11-02-2011, 07:35 PM
DAY 3

Sabotaging Thought. Eating while standing up isn't really an issue for me.

Helpful Response. Really, Nelia? You mean to tell me you've never sneaked a sample? Never grabbed a plate or two at a cocktail party? Or started eating the microwave popcorn before you sat on the sofa? Own up. And commit. We eat only when sitting down.

Beverlyjoy
11-03-2011, 07:42 AM
Nealia - this is an awesome idea! I am so glad you posted. The folks here are supportive, wise and show much friendship.

Nelia
11-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Nelia - this is an awesome idea! I am so glad you posted. The folks here are supportive, wise and show much friendship.

Thank you, ma'am! Hopefully you'll check on me from time to time. I'm likely to get lonely or worse lazy without that supportive and wise friendship! Can't wait to get to know y'all better!

Nelia
11-03-2011, 06:31 PM
126.4 pounds
25.9 points

TODAY

1. Planned Diet.
Meal 1 - roasted ribs with pepper sauce, 2 boiled eggs
Meal 2 - stuffed chicken with spinach and feta
Meal 3 - chicken satay with peanut sauce

(Yesterday) Actual Diet.
Meal 1 - stuffed chicken with spinach and feta
Meal 2 - salad with chicken tikka

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's sprint, treadmill

First Round - Primal's moving slowly, light run in the royal gardens

- - - - - - - - -

STARTING STATS

WEEK 1

Weight - 129.2 pounds
Body Fat - 24.5 points
Waist - 30.25 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

Short Term Goal - 124.2
End Date -
Total Number of Days -

Nelia
11-03-2011, 06:49 PM
DAY 4

Sabotaging Thought. Giving myself credit before I've actually accomplished something just feels ridiculous.

Helpful Response. Excellent. Then giving yourself credit on a regular basis shouldn't be a problem, since your accomplishing something on a regular basis. Every time you pick your behind up and head out for a run; every time you order the salad instead of the fish and chips; every time you console yourself with a good book rather than a plate of Mrs. Fields cookies qualifies as something. Nelia, if you want to get off the roller coaster permanently, then you had better learn to appreciate the smaller "somethings" that lead to the bigger "somethings." Start stretching and get prepared for a lot of back patting.

gardenerjoy
11-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Oops! I missed that you asked me a question over here! My game plan changed, a lot. Boredom is an enemy. I didn't care if I changed plans as long as I was always following one! I discovered that I like exchange plans, the kind where you count servings of starches, vegetables, etc. I tried an exchange plan of my own devising based on the USDA's Food Pyramid, the DASH diet, the one in the Beck's green book, and Richard Simmons Food Mover. Now, I'm back to one of my own devising, but influenced by everything I've tried.

Lexxiss
11-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Hi Nelia!

Welcome! Great job on your daily accountability! Sorry I didn't notice your thread, as I just have my browser set to pull me straight to the monthly thread where we all support each other as coaches/buddies.

I'm headed over there right now to check in. I see you're starting to post over there where I'm certain you'll get many more welcomes and individual responses.

Nelia
11-04-2011, 08:35 PM
124.4 pounds (Just missed my first mini-goal!)
24.8 points

TODAY

1. Planned Diet.
Meal 1 - IF
Meal 2 - IF
Meal 3 - lamb burger without the bun, salad on the side, coconut truffle

(Yesterday) Actual Diet.
Meal 1 - lamb burger without the bun
Meal 2 - grilled lamb salad with roasted veggies and a coconut truffle
Meal 3 - IF

2. Planned Exercise.
First round : Primal's LHT
Second round (optional) : Spin class

Primal's sprint, treadmill

- - - - - - - - -

STARTING STATS

WEEK 1

Weight - 129.2 pounds
Body Fat - 24.5 points
Waist - 30.25 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

Short Term Goal - 124.2
End Date -
Total Number of Days -

Nelia
11-04-2011, 08:51 PM
DAY 5

Sabotaging Thought. Now this is an issue. I suck at eating slowly.

Helpful Response. Nelia, you don't suck at eating slowly. I've seen you do it. It's only an issue if you make it an issue. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill. Of all the challenges that you confront on a daily, this one is easy. Appreciate the easy.

Sabotaging Thought. Fine. I don't like eating slowly. It's a complete waste of time to focus solely on eating. At the same time, I could be reading, evaluating reports, reviewing my task list. . .

Helpful Response. And you could also be 30 pounds heavier. What about that? Remember what 157 looks like? Pull it together, Nelia. If eating a meal or two slowly each day means you're not hauling around a mini bean bag, isn't it worth it? Besides, you could use the practice of being present. If you must multi-task, think of meal time as an opportunity for personal growth!

Sabotaging Thought. I can't remember the tips for eating slowly. . .

Helpful Response. Whatever, Nelia. I'll humor you. Here are the tips that worked for you in the past :

Set a timer for one minute.
After each alarm, set down your fork.
After you set down your fork, take a sip of water.
After each sip, take a moment to assess whether you're full.

Rinse and repeat.

Nelia
11-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Oops! I missed that you asked me a question over here! My game plan changed, a lot. Boredom is an enemy. I didn't care if I changed plans as long as I was always following one! I discovered that I like exchange plans, the kind where you count servings of starches, vegetables, etc. I tried an exchange plan of my own devising based on the USDA's Food Pyramid, the DASH diet, the one in the Beck's green book, and Richard Simmons Food Mover. Now, I'm back to one of my own devising, but influenced by everything I've tried.

I completely commiserate with the boredom comment. I'm constantly on the look out for something fresh, even though what I've got is working just fine! But I've not heard of the DASH diet or Richard Simmons Food Mover, I'll need to check those out when I need a break from Primal living!

Thanks for sharing!

Nelia
11-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Hi Nelia!

Welcome! Great job on your daily accountability! Sorry I didn't notice your thread, as I just have my browser set to pull me straight to the monthly thread where we all support each other as coaches/buddies.

I'm headed over there right now to check in. I see you're starting to post over there where I'm certain you'll get many more welcomes and individual responses.

Thanks, Lexxiss, for coming to visit! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that someone will actually join in. But regardless, I look forward to hanging out "upstairs"!

Lexxiss
11-05-2011, 04:04 PM
I'll probably read over here, Nelia, but I've been posting on the monthly thread for over a year. It's working very well for me with all the individual responses AND I'm at the upper limits of my "time for dieting". Adding any more just won't allow me to "take care" of me.

Nelia
11-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Short Term Goal - 124.2
End Date - 6 November 2011
Total Number of Days - 5

Wow. When I set this goal, I thought it might be weeks, even months, before I saw this number on the scale. Here's to 3FC accountability!

- - - - - - - - -

124.0 pounds
23.8 points

TODAY

1. Planned Diet.
Meal 1 - salmon salad
Meal 2 - chicken satay and pork larb
Meal 3 - lamb burger without the bun, salad on the side, coconut truffle

(Yesterday) Actual Diet.
Meal 1 - IF
Meal 2 - Half of a veggie wrap and coconut truffle
Meal 3 - Other half of a veggie wrap

2. Planned Exercise.
First round : Primal's Moving Slowly, running around the Royal Gardens
Second round (optional) : Moving Slowly, walking around Phnom Penh

Primal's LHT
Primal's Moving Slowly, walking around Phnom Penh

- - - - - - - - -

STARTING STATS

WEEK 1

Weight - 129.2 pounds
Body Fat - 24.5 points
Waist - 30.25 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

Second Short Term Goal - 119 (Never thought I'd be typing 11-anything!)
Start Date - 6 November 2011
End Date -
Total Number of Days -

Nelia
11-05-2011, 07:39 PM
DAY 6

Sabotaging Thought. I like having diet coach to help me lose weight. I don't like needing a diet coach to help me lose weight. What does it mean that I'm more likely to keep a commitment made to others when compared to keeping a commitment made to myself? Is that a reflection of how much (or how little) I value me?

Helpful Response. I won't lie to you, Nelia. It's a valid question. But you're making a sucker's choice. It needn't be one or the other. Taking advantage of the resources available to you, including a diet coach, doesn't preclude you from also strengthening your ability to keep personal commitments. Choose what commitments you'd like to assign to the realm of external accountability and choose what commitments you'd like to assign to the realm of internal accountability and let's work on strengthening both!

Nelia
11-05-2011, 07:51 PM
I'll probably read over here, Nelia, but I've been posting on the monthly thread for over a year. It's working very well for me with all the individual responses AND I'm at the upper limits of my "time for dieting". Adding any more just won't allow me to "take care" of me.

(Laughing!) I checked out your stats, and believe you me, I don't want to mess up what's clearly a good thing! I hope my response didn't place any undue pressure on you. My intention was only to express my desire that someone who's also tackling Beck Classic day by day stumbles across this thread and is interested in joining forces!

And I'll definitely see you upstairs!

As a complete aside, what part of Colorado are you from?

Lexxiss
11-05-2011, 10:27 PM
lol I was born in the very high Rockies but now reside just West of Denver at 7800' and also hang on the Western Slope just South of Aspen.

Nelia
11-06-2011, 09:03 PM
---.- pounds
--.- points

Weigh ins will be sporadic (and missed) while in transit.

TODAY

1. Planned Diet.
Meal 1 - dim sum
Meal 2 - lounge food
Meal 3 - airplane food

(Yesterday) Actual Diet.
Meal 1 - salmon salad (half)
Meal 2 - salmon salad (other half)
Meal 3 - prosciutto, salad, stir fried spicy chicken and rice, three pieces of cheese, two grapes, small slice of whole grain bread, glass of red wine.

2. Planned Exercise.
None. (Sigh.)

First round : Primal's Moving Slowly, running around the Royal Gardens
Second round (optional) : Moving Slowly, walking around Phnom Penh

- - - - - - - - -

STARTING STATS

WEEK 1

Weight - 129.2 pounds
Body Fat - 24.5 points
Waist - 30.25 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

First Short Term Goal - 124.2
Total Number of Days - 5

End Date -
Total Number of Days -

Nelia
11-06-2011, 09:03 PM
lol I was born in the very high Rockies but now reside just West of Denver at 7800' and also hang on the Western Slope just South of Aspen.

Perhaps a meetup is in order?

Nelia
11-06-2011, 09:39 PM
DAY 7

Sabotaging Thought. No problem. I got this one. I don't cook. And consequently, I don't have any food in my home.

Helpful Response. This is a two-parter, Nelia. Getting rid of the junk is the first part. But the second is to have healthful food readily accessible. Make certain you've always a small bag of macadamia nuts or a bowl of berries handy.

Nelia
11-07-2011, 05:45 PM
I guess this is kind of a new day. . .however, I'll save my next round of Beck for my first full day Stateside tomorrow!

---.- pounds
--.- points

Weigh ins will be sporadic (as well as missed) while in transit.

1. Planned Diet.
Meal 1 - airplane food
Meal 2 - lounge food
Meal 3 - airplane food

(Yesterday) Actual Diet.
Meal 1 - dim sum (4 pieces)
Meal 2 - shishkabab (4 pieces)
Meal 3 - dim sum (4 pieces)
Meal 4 - stir fried chicken with rice, cheese, grapes, two small cups of nuts, salad with pancetta, glass of red wine

2. Planned Exercise.
None. (Sigh.)

Walked the airport for an hour.

- - - - - - - - -

STARTING STATS

WEEK 1

Weight - 129.2 pounds
Body Fat - 24.5 points
Waist - 30.25 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

First Short Term Goal - 124.2
Total Number of Days - 5

End Date -
Total Number of Days -

na3309
11-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Hey Nelia,
I hope your hanging in there. I just read your invite for accountability! Absolutely :) Sorry about the timing, just running like crazy and I think I need to start over. I only got to scheduling your day in the pink book when I went on this horrible donut binge. I can honestly say I have never craved 1 specific food and couldnt get enough of it! Its definately time to change my ways!!! I take care of my mom but she lives accros town so IM back n forth alot. Work has been slow and so I have alot of money worries. Im going through a home loan mod too. Could my donut binge binge be stress related? Probably but I seem to always have stress. Maybe my age too...? So now I find I have to get gluten out of my diet. So Im starting again. I would love to be accountable!!!

Nelia
11-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Hey Nelia,
I hope your hanging in there. I just read your invite for accountability! Absolutely :) Sorry about the timing, just running like crazy and I think I need to start over. I only got to scheduling your day in the pink book when I went on this horrible donut binge. I can honestly say I have never craved 1 specific food and couldnt get enough of it! Its definately time to change my ways!!! I take care of my mom but she lives accros town so IM back n forth alot. Work has been slow and so I have alot of money worries. Im going through a home loan mod too. Could my donut binge binge be stress related? Probably but I seem to always have stress. Maybe my age too...? So now I find I have to get gluten out of my diet. So Im starting again. I would love to be accountable!!!

Ooh! A buddy! Excellent!

It seems you've much on your plate. It can be challenging to focus on self when life's responsibilities demand extra attention, but I know we can do it!

I'm in the States presently, but will return to Cambodia this weekend. And return to the Solution with a vengeance! How about an official (re)start this Monday?

canuckgirl7
11-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Hi Nelia,
I picked up the original (pink) book on Saturday, and have been following your posts. Congratulations on reaching your first short-term goal. I am hoping to have the book read by Sunday and hope to start following the techniques Monday

na3309
11-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Nelia Sounds absolutely fantastic!!! I'm in the pink book which one do you have. If you have the green. Ill try to find it. Cant wait to get started!

So glad to hear back. Are you from here?

Talk to you soon! Julie B

Nelia
11-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Hi Nelia,
I picked up the original (pink) book on Saturday, and have been following your posts. Congratulations on reaching your first short-term goal. I am hoping to have the book read by Sunday and hope to start following the techniques Monday

*Weeps with joy!* Excellent! Another buddy! If all three of us are in (and I mean all the way in), can we make a pat that we'll complete the six weeks, no matter what? That means Thanksgiving and Christmas. That means we'll bring in the new year Beck strong. . .

What do you think?

Nelia
11-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Nelia Sounds absolutely fantastic!!! I'm in the pink book which one do you have. If you have the green. Ill try to find it. Cant wait to get started!

So glad to hear back. Are you from here?

Talk to you soon! Julie B

I'm listening to the audio, which I believe is the pink. Shucks! I should have picked up the workbook while at home!

I am from the States. But doing a long-term gig in Cambodia. What about you?

Nelia
11-20-2011, 05:17 PM
My trip to the States was emotionally and physically taxing. And I manipulated these circumstances to rationalize all kinds of crazy eating. Consequently, I need the Beck inculcation from Day 1. This is my official restart.

Being in Cambodia, I'm a half day ahead of y'all. My Monday starts now!

STARTING STATS

WEEK 1

Weight - 130.8 pounds (Sigh. I did some damage while Stateside.)
Body Fat - 26.5 points
Waist - 31.50 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

Short Term Goal - 125.8
Start Date - 21 November 2011
End Date -
Total Number of Days -

TODAY

1. Planned Diet.
Meal 1 - IF
Meal 2 - pepper shrimp with cole slaw
Meal 3 - salmon salad

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's moving slowly, light run in the royal gardens (completed this morning)

Nelia
11-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Day 1

Advantages Response Card

Nelia's ADVANTAGES (Enlightened)

■ I manage self according to my values and not immediate gratification.
■ My commitment is not dictated by my circumstances. My commitment determines my circumstances.
■ I celebrate my physicality and give my body the appreciation it deserves.
■ I live an exceptional and full life. My intellectual, spiritual and physical capacity is unlimited.
■ I live healthfully, habitually and effortlessly.
■ I am equipped to eat healthy for two when pregnant.
■ I approach eating with a mentality of abundance.

Nelia's ADVANTAGES (Real Talk)

■ I am a bombshell. The essence of luscious, inside and out.
■ My jeans and my thighs get along. Damn it.
■ I profile. On a beach. In a bikini.
■ I don't feel like the jolly black (fat) giant while living in Cambodia. I represent.
■ I don't camouflage. I highlight and showcase.
■ Nothing in my closet is too small. Nothing.
■ When shopping with girlfriends, strategic positioning in open dressing rooms is no longer required.
■ My skin is crystal clear.
■ I hop onto my motorbike lightly.
■ I floss a coke bottle profile with a teeny tiny waist.
■ I no longer have a bean bag for a stomach that sags when I'm sleeping on my side. I'm lean with no extra baggage!
■ My abs are peeking.

canuckgirl7
11-21-2011, 01:23 PM
*Weeps with joy!* Excellent! Another buddy! If all three of us are in (and I mean all the way in), can we make a pat that we'll complete the six weeks, no matter what? That means Thanksgiving and Christmas. That means we'll bring in the new year Beck strong

Sounds like a good idea, though living in Canada I am fortunate that Thanksgiving is celebrated in October, so that is out of the way :).

I decided to follow a similar format to what you are doing Nelia

STARTING STATS

WEEK 1

Weight - 185 :(
Body Fat - 30 %
Waist - 39 inches
Hips - 43 inches
Thigh - 24 inches

Long Term Goal - 135lbs , 22-23 % body fat

Short Term Goal - 180
End Date -
Total Number of Days -

Day 1
I created my Advantages Response Cards - Reasons to lose weight
1. I'll be in better health - a few months ago I was working out pretty regularly but my diet wasn’t the greatest and I put on about 20 pounds in 2.5-3 months. I store excess fat in my mid section and really need to get rid of it

2. I'll feel betting physically - I get winded a lot faster now doing simple things like walking and talking

3. I won't feel so self-conscious - I hate the way my butt and mid section stick out and when I ma out find myself trying to wear long and baggy clothing to hid them

4. I'll live longer - pretty self-explanatory: D

5. I'll be happier when I look in the mirror - this ties in with reason 3

6. I'll be more physically fit - this ties in with reason 2

7. I'll feel more in control - right now there are days I feel like food is controlling me and would like this to no longer be an issue and if there are times when it still happens, I would like to better deal with it

8. I'll feel as if I've accomplished something important - there are not many things more important than one's health

9. I'll be able to wear a smaller size - I would love to leave double digits behind permanently

10. I'll look better - ties in with reasons 3 and 5

11. I'll be able to wear my old clothes - because I have gained the weight pretty quickly, I haven't purchased a lot of new clothing and am looking for work right now, so I would love to get back in my old clothes

12. I'll do more things - I have gone out four times in the last four months and believe that the embarrassment I feel over having gained this weight is one of the reasons for my lack of socialising. I believe becoming more fit will also encourage me to get out and do more things that I have always wanted to try

When I was completing this I realized that the reasons listed in the book from Dr. Beck's patients were pretty much all that I thought of as well which is nice to know.

My response card is an index card and I will look at it at least twice a day: when I get up in the morning and in the afternoon. I may read it a third time after dinner.
I will leave myself a reminder on my bedroom mirror and even in the Beck book since I will be reading it every day

Nelia
11-21-2011, 06:09 PM
7. I'll feel more in control - right now there are days I feel like food is controlling me and would like this to no longer be an issue and if there are times when it still happens, I would like to better deal with it

8. I'll feel as if I've accomplished something important - there are not many things more important than one's health

12. I'll do more things - I have gone out four times in the last four months and believe that the embarrassment I feel over having gained this weight is one of the reasons for my lack of socialising. I believe becoming more fit will also encourage me to get out and do more things that I have always wanted to try

I can completely relate to the above. And in fact, #7 is killing me at the moment. . .

Nelia
11-21-2011, 06:16 PM
DAY 2

Primary - Primal
Back up - Eat. Stop. Eat.

Sabotaging Thought. I want a fresh start, therefore I can't start until I find a fresh diet.

Helpful Response. Nelia. There's nothing fresh about consuming less calories than you burn. Stop being persnickety, pick a dang diet and let's get the scale moving.

Helpful Response. Really, Nelia? Interesting. Because you don't seem bored when the number on the scale becomes smaller. And you certainly don't seem bored when you can slide on a pair of jeans without an epic battle. Winging it hasn't reduced the thunder in your thighs. A diet has. Pick one and stick with it.

TODAY

Weight - 130.2 pounds
Body Fat - 25.4 points

1. Planned Diet.
Meal 1 - Vegetable lollypops, naan and mango lassi
Meal 2 - Chicken fried rice (or the equivalent)
Meal 3 - Vegetable wrap

2. Planned Exercise.
Nothing. Severely jet-lagged.

YESTERDAY

1. Actual Diet.
Meal 1 - IF
Meal 2 - Pepper shrimp and coleslaw
Meal 3 - And then I lost it. Chips. Chocolate truffles. Candy bar. And milk. (Sigh.)

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's moving slowly, light run in the royal gardens

- - - - - - - -

STARTING STATS

WEEK 1

Body Fat - 26.5 points
Waist - 31.50 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

Short Term Goal - 125.8
End Date -
Total Number of Days -

canuckgirl7
11-22-2011, 03:01 PM
DAY 2
Selecting a Diet
Primary - Calorie Counting
Back up - Carb cycling

Love this and have been guilty of this thinking in the past.

I read my ARC once before dinner and will read it again later tonight.

Nelia
11-22-2011, 08:04 PM
UGH! Woke up late today! Will check in this evening!

Nelia
11-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Shucks! Lesson learned. Check in first thing in the morning!

DAY 3

Sabotaging Thought. Eating while standing up isn't really an issue for me.

Helpful Response. Really, Nelia? You mean to tell me you've never sneaked a sample? Never grabbed a plate or two at a cocktail party? Or started eating the microwave popcorn before you sat on the sofa? Own up. Then commit to eating only when sitting down.

TODAY

Weight - 128.8 pounds
Body Fat - 23.4 points

1. Planned Diet.
Meal 2 - Biryani (or the equivalent)

2. Planned Exercise.
Nothing. Just sleeping miserably.

YESTERDAY

1. Actual Diet.
Meal 1 - Pasta with vegetables
Meal 2 - Samosa and curry with a bit of naan
Meal 3 - IF

2. Planned Exercise.
Nothing. Been sleeping miserably.

- - - - - - - -

STARTING STATS

WEEK 1

Body Fat - 26.5 points
Waist - 31.50 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

Short Term Goal - 125.8
End Date -
Total Number of Days -

canuckgirl7
11-23-2011, 08:40 PM
DAY 3
sit down whenever you eat

Managed to do this today

In the past I have been guilty of eating some of the food I have been preparing for dinner and occasioanlly start eating a snack on my way to the couch

I have to admit that I will only have read my ARC once today. I really need to make sure I look at it first thing in the morning as I believe it will help put me in the right frame of mind for the rest of the day

Yesterday I was offered a job in a different city. The next few weeks will be busy and I am not sure how it will impact my eating, so I imagine sticking to the steps will be even more important with the change to my schedule.

Nelia
11-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Yesterday I was offered a job in a different city. The next few weeks will be busy and I am not sure how it will impact my eating, so I imagine sticking to the steps will be even more important with the change to my schedule.

Is the job offer a good thing? Are congratulations in order?

Nelia
11-24-2011, 06:46 PM
This week has really been a lackluster start for me. TGIF. I plan to tackle a good amount of sleep over the weekend and prepare for an "all in" mindset next week.

Thank goodness for 3FC and canuckgirl7. Otherwise I not only be off the wagon, but it would have left me long behind!

DAY 4

Sabotaging Thought. Giving myself credit before I've actually accomplished something just feels ridiculous.

Helpful Response. Excellent. Then giving yourself credit on a regular basis shouldn't be a problem, since your accomplishing something on a regular basis. Every time you pick your behind up and head out for a run; every time you order the salad instead of the fish and chips; every time you console yourself with a good book rather than a plate of Mrs. Fields cookies qualifies as something. Nelia, if you want to get off the roller coaster permanently, then you had better learn to appreciate the smaller "somethings" that lead to the bigger "somethings." Start stretching and get prepared for a lot of back patting.

TODAY

Weight - No weigh in
Body Fat - No weigh in

1. Planned Diet.
Meal 1 - Pasta with vegetables
Meal 2 - Something at the symposium
Meal 3 - Fish and chips

2. Planned Exercise.
Nothing. Just sleeping miserably.

YESTERDAY

1. Actual Diet.
Meal 2 - Bagel with chorizo and goat cheese

2. Planned Exercise.
Nothing. Been sleeping miserably.

- - - - - - - -

STARTING STATS

WEEK 1

Body Fat - 26.5 points
Waist - 31.50 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

Short Term Goal - 125.8
End Date -
Total Number of Days -

canuckgirl7
11-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Is the job offer a good thing? Are congratulations in order?

The job offer is a good thing, I had been waiting to hear back about this for a few months (I was also applying for other jobs). It will be my first permanent "adult" job :) It will be in another city, but it is a city that I lived in while at school and is only a 2.5 hour drive from Toronto.

I too have been slacking a bit with steps so far (i.e half heartedly reading my ARC) though today I started to eat while standing up, stopped myself mid-bite and made myself wait until I sat down to finish, GOOD JOB! me :D

Day 4
Give Yourself Credit

Sabotaging Thought I don't deserve credit for doing things I should already be doing.
If I don't give myself credit and realize all the hard work I am putting into this, who will?

Sabotaging Thought It does feel strange for giving myself credit for doing something like remembering to only eat while sitting down (or stopping myself mid-bite)

I guess this is a case of fake it 'til you make it. After awhile I imagine I will be more comfortable with the idea of doing it (as long as I don't do it out loud in public :D)

you had better learn to appreciate the smaller "somethings" that lead to the bigger "somethings
Love this!

I have decided to scale back on the scale. I have found that in the past I would weigh myself, see I lost a bit then celebrate by eating! Instead of "celebrating: my weight loss with food, I will give myself credit and post about it here and look into non-food rewards.

canuckgirl7
11-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Day 5
Eat slowly and mindfully

This step will probably be the hardest for me as I constantly wolf down food. I will try to use the clock as a guide to slow down my eating and will also try to drink a glass of water between meals and I will put my fork down between bites.

Sabotaging Thought:
I have been a fast eater for as long as I can remember, I don't know if I can slow down to 20 minutes.

Helpful Response:
eating quickly means I am not giving my body enough time to register fullness, likely leading to weight gain. I will get used to eating slowly, it just takes time

I will be headed out tomorrow to have dinner with my mom to celebrate getting the new job, passing an important exam at the beginning of the month and also because my birthday is on Wednesday!

I have been slacking off on the exericse due to knee pain, but my knee has been feeling better so Monday morning I am back to cardio and strength training.

Hollyp
11-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Hello nelia! New here and found yiur thread. Wishing you luck and dont give up! I have loved the book and am following and stumbled upon thies website. So exited. May start my own thread like you for motivation! Keep posting!!

Nelia
11-27-2011, 03:25 PM
The job offer is a good thing, I had been waiting to hear back about this for a few months (I was also applying for other jobs). It will be my first permanent "adult" job :) It will be in another city, but it is a city that I lived in while at school and is only a 2.5 hour drive from Toronto.

I too have been slacking a bit with steps so far (i.e half heartedly reading my ARC) though today I started to eat while standing up, stopped myself mid-bite and made myself wait until I sat down to finish, GOOD JOB! me :D

I have decided to scale back on the scale. I have found that in the past I would weigh myself, see I lost a bit then celebrate by eating! Instead of "celebrating: my weight loss with food, I will give myself credit and post about it here and look into non-food rewards.

Re job offer. Congratulations! That is fabulous!

Re slacking. My performance in here has been lackluster. Depression. Lack of sleep. Craziness at work. And bingeing like a mad woman. But I made a commitment that Monday was a new day. And with a new day, a new opportunity to jump back on the wagon. Here I am. Credit! Thanks for holding it down in my absence!

Re scale. (Laughing!) I completely get it. But I'm just the opposite. When I'm not stepping on the scale, it's because I don't want to see what I'm doing to my body. The scale has become part of my routine of Nelia taking care of Nelia. We've gotta do what works best for each of us!

Nelia
11-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Hello nelia! New here and found yiur thread. Wishing you luck and dont give up! I have loved the book and am following and stumbled upon thies website. So exited. May start my own thread like you for motivation! Keep posting!!

Welcome, Hollyp! And thanks for the encouragement! I much appreciate it! Feel free to join us on the daily journey! The more the merrier!

Nelia
11-27-2011, 03:41 PM
STATS

WEEK 2 (This is going to be painful. . .)

Weight - 131.8 pounds, +1.0 (ACK!)
Body Fat - 25.3 points, -1.2
Waist - 31.75 inches, +.75
Tush - 37.75 inches, +0
Thigh - 23.5 inches, +.5

Alright. Given the extent of my bingeing, this ain't too bad. No irreparable harm done. Let's see what magic we can make happen in Week 2! I changed my short-term goal based upon my weight gain. (Sigh.) I'll return for my Beck check in after my morning run!

WEEK 1

Body Fat - 26.5 points
Waist - 31.50 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

Short Term Goal - 126.8
Start Date - 28 November 2011
End Date -
Total Number of Days -

Nelia
11-27-2011, 05:23 PM
☁ Nelia's SABOTAGING THOUGHTS

I can't focus on eating. That's boring and I've got **** to do. Besides, I need to keep my mind occupied.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Do you want boring and thigh reduction or exciting and a big ***? It's only fifteen minutes of the day. Think of mindful eating as opportunity to practice meditation.

I truly don't have time to eat slowly.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Is getting rid of that muffin top a high priority? Make the time!

It's difficult to make eating mindfully a priority. This habit just always seems to slip through the cracks...

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Is maintaining your weight loss a priority? Are you willing to let your personal success "slip through the cracks?" In the past, mindful eating has been your most difficult challenge. Eating mindlessly was your default. To change your default requires consistent and dedicated effort. But the reward is worth the investment. Aren't you always stunned at how little food you truly require to be satiated? Aren't you always thrilled with how much more satisfying your food experience is? Don't you always benefit from taking a few moments to relax and eat consciously?

Remember, mindful eating in and of itself will be sufficient for you to maintain your weight loss. That's huge.

Everyday, eat one meal mindfully. This isn't optional. Do it.

Nelia
11-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Day 5
Eat slowly and mindfully

This step will probably be the hardest for me as I constantly wolf down food. I will try to use the clock as a guide to slow down my eating and will also try to drink a glass of water between meals and I will put my fork down between bites.

I will be headed out tomorrow to have dinner with my mom to celebrate getting the new job, passing an important exam at the beginning of the month and also because my birthday is on Wednesday!

I have been slacking off on the exericse due to knee pain, but my knee has been feeling better so Monday morning I am back to cardio and strength training.

Your birthday is this Wednesday? Or last Wednesday? (Did I miss it?)

Good luck on your exam! And I'll be checking to see if you made the cardio and strength training happen on Monday morning!

canuckgirl7
11-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Glad to see you are still posting, Nelia

Day 6
Find a diet coach

Done and done, right, Nelia:D

My birthday is this Wednesday, I wrote the exam on November 2, and found out I passed and now the job offer! Busy month.

Eating mindfully is proving to be a challenge; I am still eating too quickly. I think that I am going too long between meals and am really hungry when I do finally eat.

In the past, mindful eating has been your most difficult challenge.

I am glad (sort of) to hear that mindful eating has been difficult for you as well. It is nice to know that I am not the only one struggling.

Remember, mindful eating in and of itself will be sufficient for you to maintain your weight loss. That's huge.

Everyday, eat one meal mindfully. This isn't optional. Do it.
I think starting off with one meal a day will be a good idea for me as well.

I have remembered to eat all my meals sitting down though, Way to Go!

Weight - 131.8 pounds, +1.0 (ACK!)
Body Fat - 25.3 points, -1.2
Sorry you didn't have the greatest week, but on the plus side, good for you for reducing you Body Fat!

Re slacking. My performance in here has been lacklustre. Depression. Lack of sleep. Craziness at work. And bingeing like a mad woman. But I made a commitment that Monday was a new day. And with a new day, a new opportunity to jump back on the wagon. Here I am. Credit! Thanks for holding it down in my absence!

Don't worry about the slacking, I am glad that you are back and are determined to stick this out. Credit you! Ihope youu were able to catch up on sleep and work has calmed down and that you are feeling better in general.

Hollyp
11-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks! You know I read these threads and think oh that is SO me! I cannot yet get the site to notify me by IM to subscribed threads even though ive marked it so. Will just have to check around to follow along. Just ate when i didnt need to. Was so good for the first couple days and seem to be slipping. Must get back on track and practice these exercises! Tomorrow is a new day...

Nelia
11-28-2011, 04:57 PM
DAY 6

canuckgirl7 (Laughing!) Diet coach. Done and done!

Nobody has time for a weekly phone call. I don't even want to bother my coach with the idea. Besides, is it really necessary?

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Who cares if it's necessary? If there's any chance that talking to your diet coach would be helpful, isn't it worth giving it a try? And as for busy schedules, it never hurts to ask...

Messaging canuckgirl7 now. . .

TODAY

Weight - 129.4 pounds (I remember when seeing sub-130 felt like a damn miracle. Now I'm taking it for granted and ready for sub-120!)
Body Fat - 24.1 points

1. Planned Diet.
Meal 1 - Chorizo salad (2)
Meal 2 - Pork ribs (3)
Meal 3 - Salmon salad (4)

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's LHT

YESTERDAY

1. Actual Diet.
Meal 1 - IF
Meal 2 - IF
Meal 3 - Salmon Salad

One mindful meal - Check!

My first day of clean eating since returning to Cambodia!

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's moving slowly, light run in the royal gardens

- - - - - - - -

STARTING STATS

WEEK 1

Body Fat - 26.5 points
Waist - 31.50 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

Short Term Goal - 126.8
Start Date - 29 November 2011
End Date -
Total Number of Days -

Nelia
11-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Glad to see you are still posting, Nelia

Thank you for not giving up on me!

My birthday is this Wednesday, I wrote the exam on November 2, and found out I passed and now the job offer! Busy month.

Busy month, but a great month! Are you nervous about balancing all this good stuff with good eating? Or do you think the good stuff will distract you from "bad" habits?

Eating mindfully is proving to be a challenge; I am still eating too quickly. I think that I am going too long between meals and am really hungry when I do finally eat.

I gotta be honest with you. (Smiling) The only time I'm able to stretch meal to 20 minutes is when I'm at an all-you-can-eat brunch. Probably not what Beck had in mind! I am so with you re eating quickly. And from an early age, it's been an ingrained habit to read while eating. I literally feel anxious when all I do is "just" eat. It actually feels unnatural.

But for me, eating mindfully is probably my most important habit for successful weight loss. I'm stunned almost every time about how little food is required to fill satiated.

I have remembered to eat all my meals sitting down though, Way to Go!

Triumph! Well done! I do have to admit that I blew this one yesterday. Sucker was in my mouth before I knew it. Once I was conscious, I did sit that bad boy down right away and didn't touch it again until I was firmly seated.

I am feeling much better, thanks for asking. I was nothing but a recluse this past weekend and did nothing but decompress. A bit lazy, but worth the rejuvenation.

Have a brilliant day!

Nelia
11-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks! You know I read these threads and think oh that is SO me! I cannot yet get the site to notify me by IM to subscribed threads even though ive marked it so. Will just have to check around to follow along. Just ate when i didnt need to. Was so good for the first couple days and seem to be slipping. Must get back on track and practice these exercises! Tomorrow is a new day...

Today is a new day! (Smiling) Where are you, Hollyp?

Hollyp
11-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Hi nelia! Checkin in. This has been one good day for me, thanks for looking for me! Got the IM to work here so am thrilled with that!! Reading your posts, have thought about timing myself, will start with trying to put fork down between bites first.. Have eaten all meals sitting, a few wheat thins standing, read my cards before each meal, and will try to leave one bite of dinner tonight. Although I have not read that in the book yet, have seen others post that. I like that idea though! Hard one...though.

Will only weigh once a week, that feels sane and doable.

Now, nelia, enough about me, glad you are here! Have a great day tomorrow! Will check in again...

canuckgirl7
11-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Are you nervous about balancing all this good stuff with good eating? Or do you think the good stuff will distract you from "bad" habits?
I am kind of nervous about it, but I know that sticking to the plan and coming here to post will help keep me on track

The only time I'm able to stretch meal to 20 minutes is when I'm at an all-you-can-eat brunch. Probably not what Beck had in mind! :D

But for me, eating mindfully is probably my most important habit for successful weight loss. I'm stunned almost every time about how little food is required to fill satiated.
This is good to hear, sometimes I look at what a serving size is supposed to be and wonder "this is it? How is this supposed to keep me full".

Sucker was in my mouth before I knew it. Once I was conscious, I did sit that bad boy down right away and didn't touch it again until I was firmly seated.
Credit to you for for stopping yourself. It is usually easier to simply keep eating, thinking that you have already started you might as well keep going.

I am feeling much better, thanks for asking. I was nothing but a recluse this past weekend and did nothing but decompress. A bit lazy, but worth the rejuvenation.
Taking some time to relax might have been the best thing to do. Glad you are better :)

Day 7
Arrange your environment

I don't start work until the middle of December so the work environment is a non-issue right now.

At home I have gotten rid of my biggest vice, potato chips (by get rid of, I mean I ate them!) probably not the book means :D

I will also try to eat my food on smaller plates, we also have smaller forks and spoons, so I will try to use those as well.

Week 2
I am down 3 pounds from last week and down 5 since I joined 3FC, well done, me!

Nelia
11-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Week 2
I am down 3 pounds from last week and down 5 since I joined 3FC, well done, me!

Triumph! That is fantastic! CREDIT!

Do you feel five pounds lighter? Are you excited to take this all the way home?

Nelia
11-29-2011, 05:13 PM
Hi nelia! Checkin in. This has been one good day for me, thanks for looking for me! Got the IM to work here so am thrilled with that!! Reading your posts, have thought about timing myself, will start with trying to put fork down between bites first.. Have eaten all meals sitting, a few wheat thins standing, read my cards before each meal, and will try to leave one bite of dinner tonight. Although I have not read that in the book yet, have seen others post that. I like that idea though! Hard one...though.

Will only weigh once a week, that feels sane and doable.

Now, nelia, enough about me, glad you are here! Have a great day tomorrow! Will check in again...

CREDIT! Nicely done! Seems as though acanuckgirl7 is being a great influence on us!

Is this your first time reading the Beck Bible? And if yes, what day are you on?

(And acancuckgirl7 feels the exact same way about the scale!)

Nelia
11-29-2011, 05:26 PM
DAY 7

Arrange Your Environment

Why would I ask someone else to compensate for my weaknesses (e.g. removing their snacks from the table)?

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Because you're determined to transform weakness into strength. They're not required to do what you ask. But why not at least try to stack the cards in your favor?

Whatever. I don't need to remove junk food out of plain sight. I always have enough willpower to keep it moving.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Always? What about when you've had a particularly rough week? Or when you're not feeling too hot about your accomplishments? Or when you're bored. Didn't you just go to town on a bacon and cheese log because the crackers were out on the counter? Whatever. Get your butt up and throw that stuff in the cabinet. There's nothing wrong with stacking the cards in your favor.

TODAY

Weight - 127.6
Body Fat - 24.6 points

1. Planned Diet.
Meal 1 - Chorizo salad (5)
Meal 2 - Chicken tikka (1)
Meal 3 - Salmon salad (2)

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's moving slowly. Run around the royal gardens.

YESTERDAY

1. Actual Diet.
Meal 1 - Chorizo salad (2) *Chocolate Truffle
Meal 2 - Pork ribs (3)
Meal 3 - Salmon salad (4)

One mindful meal - Check!

2. Planned Exercise.
(Sigh.) Nothing. I was quite exhausted yesterday. I'm easing back into my routine!

- - - - - - - -

STARTING STATS

Weight - 130.8 pounds
Body Fat - 26.5 points
Waist - 31.50 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

Short Term Goal - 126.8
End Date -
Total Number of Days -

canuckgirl7
11-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Triumph! That is fantastic! CREDIT!

Do you feel five pounds lighter? Are you excited to take this all the way home?
Thanks!
I don't actually feel five pounds lighter, but a loss is a loss. The important thing is to make sure the scale keeps going down.
Still doing terribly at eating mindfully.
Haven't been exercising though. My knee still hurts. I am determined to use the treadmill tomorrow and at least walk. I will be doing weights as well, just no lunges (last time I had my knee looked at, they had me doing squats and doing ankle weights to do leg lifts).

Hello and welcome Hollyp, I have read your posts but haven't replied yet.

Have eaten all meals sitting, a few wheat thins standing, read my cards before each meal, and will try to leave one bite of dinner tonight. Reading your posts, have thought about timing myself, will start with trying to put fork down between bites first

Good for you for eating all your meals sitting down and reading your cards before all meals. I have been trying to put down my fork between bites, but haven't always been successful.

Day 8
Create Time and Energy

Not really an issue right now. Even though I was offered a job, I am still waiting for the contract and was told that it wouldn't start until the middle of December, right now I don't really have to look at my schedule to fit in planning meals and exercisingI have all day really.
When I start working this will come up and will come back to this part.

Hollyp
11-29-2011, 10:32 PM
CREDIT! Nicely done! Seems as though acanuckgirl7 is being a great influence on us!

Is this your first time reading the Beck Bible? And if yes, what day are you on?

(And acancuckgirl7 feels the exact same way about the scale!)

I have read it almost through but do not have a coach except here, and there are some things I havent done, I have just jumped in and started with as much as I can and add things as I read. Im sad Im not losing weight yet. I have to stick with this. I am calorie counting for now. Weight watchers was not working for me. Its all frustrating. Ive eliminated lots of cals by not nibbling and thiught that would have a greater impact. Doesnt seem to yet. More tomorrow...

tessilette
11-30-2011, 12:42 AM
Hey! Just wanted to give some support! :)
And I'll be checking back, so you're held accountable. Lol
Good Luck!
I believe in you!
Tessa

Nelia
11-30-2011, 07:13 AM
I'll be back in the morning with more, but for the moment . . .

Happy Birthday, canuckgirl7!

Wishing you the healthiest (and thinnest) year ever! Smooch!

Hollyp
11-30-2011, 08:03 AM
Ditto what Nelia said! Have a wonderful year!

Nelia
11-30-2011, 06:29 PM
DAY 8

Create Time and Energy

The Beck Diet Solution is too much damn time. I don't have even a minute extra.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

You mean you're not willing to make the time. Interesting. You're able to make time to read OK Cupid and scour the profiles. You're able to make time to read every last article in your RSS feed re all things Apple and "start-up". You're able to make time to watch Beyonce videos. I didn't know that Beyonce's latest dance sequences were more important that you profiling on a beach in a bikini. It's not? Really? Your priorities are a reflection of where you spend your time. Not what you desire. And your timing, despite your desire, says Beyonce's the priority. If you want a bikini body, make the time for a bikini body!

Why does losing weight require this much work? I want weight loss to be effortless. I don't want to be a slave to tracking meals and logging my weight. Dang.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

In the past, weight gain is effortless. You've got that down pat. At some point, weight loss will be effortless, but to change entrenched behaviors requires an investment. And the greater the investment, the greater the reward. Put in the work!

TODAY

Weight - 127.4
Body Fat - 24.3 points

1. Planned Diet.
Meal 1 - IF
Meal 2 - IF
Meal 3 - Salmon salad

2. Planned Exercise.
None.

YESTERDAY

1. Actual Diet.
Meal 1 - Chorizo salad
Meal 2 - Chicken tikka
Meal 3 - Pork ribs and lamb kofta

One mindful meal - Shucks! I completely forgot! Setting a reminder!

2. Planned Exercise.

- - - - - - - -

STARTING STATS

Weight - 130.8 pounds
Body Fat - 26.5 points
Waist - 31.50 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

Short Term Goal - 126.8
End Date -

Nelia
11-30-2011, 06:36 PM
I have read it almost through but do not have a coach except here, and there are some things I havent done, I have just jumped in and started with as much as I can and add things as I read. Im sad Im not losing weight yet. I have to stick with this. I am calorie counting for now. Weight watchers was not working for me. Its all frustrating. Ive eliminated lots of cals by not nibbling and thiught that would have a greater impact. Doesnt seem to yet. More tomorrow...

First and foremost, keep in mind that you haven't many pounds to lose. The closer you are to your goal weight, the slower those suckers tend to drop off.

Second. Did you listen to Beck's recommendations re picking a diet? Which of the two religions do you prefer?

I've a pretty high octane life. So I haven't time for counting calories and such. I also happen to be a pretty big fan of bacon. If you're the same, I'd recommend either "Eat. Stop. Eat." or "Primal".

Whatever happens, don't give up. You're too important to let a little thing like 14 pounds stand in the way of you and exceptional health.

Credit to you for posting and sticking with it!

Nelia
11-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Hey! Just wanted to give some support! :)
And I'll be checking back, so you're help accountable. Lol
Good Luck!
I believe in you!
Tessa

We need all the accountability we can get! Thanks for the best wishes!

canuckgirl7
11-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the birthday wishes, Nelia and Hollyp
I am definately going to make this my healthiest year!

Why does losing weight require this much work? I want weight loss to be effortless. I don't want to be a slave to tracking meals and logging my weight. Dang.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

In the past, weight gain is effortless. You've got that down pat. At some point, weight loss will be effortless, but to change entrenched behaviors requires an investment. And the greater the investment, the greater the reward. Put in the work!

This is soo true for me too. Weight gain really had been effortless for me for the past few months (damn potato chips), and I do like the idea that weight loss will seem effortless (the idea that all these steps will be second nature).

I didn't know that Beyonce's latest dance sequences were more important that you profiling on a beach in a bikini. It's not? Really? Your priorities are a reflection of where you spend your time. Not what you desire. And your timing, despite your desire, says Beyonce's the priority. If you want a bikini body, make the time for a bikini body!

No doubt, Beyonce makes time for a bikini body!:D

Hollyp
11-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Hello girls! Boy was today hard emotionally. Pants were tight after 6 days of beck and weight UP a lb after being so good and following the plan. So darn frustrating. I cannot make that scale move, exercising tons. Just have to be patient and keep at it.

Did throw away these hot cheesy breadsticks that came out of the oven last nit (after having one and felt bad) knowing my twins would not eat them!

Many passed oportunities to nibble today and strenghtened my muscles on that one.
Stuck to the diet, unplanned (albeit minimal) exercise

And thinking of seeing a nutritionist and hormone specialist to see if something is wrong with the bod. Background, Ive been at this fokr A LONG time....this is not new for me. Was just hoping beck would be the majic answer for me! So far not yet!!!

canuckgirl7
11-30-2011, 11:04 PM
Did throw away these hot cheesy breadsticks that came out of the oven last nit (after having one and felt bad) knowing my twins would not eat them!

Many passed oportunities to nibble today and strenghtened my muscles on that one.
Stuck to the diet, unplanned (albeit minimal) exercise
Good for you for sticking to your plan and getting in some exercise

Was just hoping beck would be the majic answer for me! So far not yet!!!

I don't think anything is magic, it requires hard work and dedication. I don't think you should feel bad about eating one breadstick, give yourself credit for having only one!

Today was my 27th birthday and have to admit I didn't really follow any of the steps. I had a few bites of my dinner standing up, didn't eat mindfully at lunch (went out with a friend) and only read my ARC once today. Tomorrow is another day and since I am determined to make this my healthiest year ever, I need to get back on track.

Day 9
Select an Exercise Plan

Selecting the plan is not the problem, sticking to it is. Until my knee is better, I will be walking on the treadmill on an incline for at least 30 minutes and doing a full body strength training circuit 2-3 times a week.

Sabotaging thought; I don't want to exercise :(
If I want to lose weight and keep it off I need to exercise
Exercising can help create a greater deficit than caloric restriction alone. It also has cardiovascular and stress management benefits.

Nobody gets a lifted butt from calorie counting alone :D

Hollyp
11-30-2011, 11:21 PM
True so true canuckgirl. I will continue the plan. And NOT get on scale. I just get mad and start eating and giving up whe it doesnt say what I want it to. Another thread suggested I consider myself at maintenance and work beck from there. Pretty good insightful advice.

Im such the perpetual dieter! Its like a darn hobby! But id rather be knitting or something lol

Hollyp
11-30-2011, 11:24 PM
Also...if cal counting lifted your butt mine would be in the sky! LOL. Hope you had a good bday. You did a lot of beck for a bday, credit yourself!

Nelia
12-01-2011, 04:35 PM
DAY 9

Select an Exercise Plan (Lawdy, do I need this pep talk.)

It's late. I'm exhausted from work. I don't feel like exercising tonight.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Great. Put on your shoes and get your *** to the gym. This isn't about feeling. This is about losing weight and treating your body right.

Make it happen.

TODAY

Weight - 124.8 (WHAT! Does dance of triumph around the apartment!)
Body Fat - 24.7 points (Sigh. Can't have it all in one day. Gotta get my butt to the gym and Lift Heavy Things!)

1. Planned Diet.
Meal 1 - IF
Meal 2 - Pork ribs and duck confit Waldorf
Meal 3 - Salmon salad

2. Planned Exercise.

YESTERDAY

1. Actual Diet.
Meal 1 - IF
Meal 2 - Saffron fish, bacon, rocket salad, three dark chocolate truffles
Meal 3 - IF

One mindful meal - I forgot about a scheduled lunch, which consequently messed with my intermittent fasting, which consequently messed with my mindful meal. Today! No excuses!

2. Completed Exercise.
None. (Another sigh.)

- - - - - - - -

STARTING STATS

Weight - 130.8 pounds
Body Fat - 26.5 points
Waist - 31.50 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

Short Term Goal - 126.8
End Date -
Number of Days -

Nelia
12-01-2011, 04:40 PM
STARTING STATS

Weight - 130.8 pounds
Body Fat - 26.5 points
Waist - 31.50 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

Second Short Term Goal - 119.8 (Y'all, I can't even fathom being sub - 120. Crazy!)
Start Date - 2 December 2011
End Date -
Number of Days -

First Short Term Goal - 126.8
End Date - 2 December 2011
Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
12-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Also...if cal counting lifted your butt mine would be in the sky! LOL. Hope you had a good bday. You did a lot of beck for a bday, credit yourself!

Laughing! You two are hilarious! Although I'm not one for calorie counting, I'm definitely one for a tush lift! To the gym we go.

canuckgirl7. Mad, crazy props to you for making anything happen on your birthday and staying conscious throughout! Credit!

Hollyp. Did you see my post #71 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4124403-post71.html)? We're right *here* re terminal dieting and the dreaded plateau. It would be great to exchange ideas to refresh our attitudes!

canuckgirl7
12-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Day 10: Set a realistic goal

My realistic short term goal as per the book is to lose 5 pounds. I did reach 182 on Monday ( Istarted at 187) and have gone up and down a bit since then. As of this morning despite me thinking I did a lot of damage on my birtthday, I am again at 182.

To make it easier to track (since my goal weight is 135) my next goal is 180.

Sabotaging THought: Losing 1-2 pounds is too slow.
I personally don't know if I agree that 1-2 pounds is what you should lose (p.114 of the pink book) and there have been comments here where faster weight loss inspired people to stick with their plan. I do understand that for people who have a lot of weight the number may be faster and people with less weight may lose slower (or risk losing mucle).

I do realize that regardless of what the scale says, I need to stick with the plan. Everyone who tries to lose weight will have good days (or week) and bad days (or week) the important thing is to not let success or failure change the plan. Often in the past as I mentioned before, I have rewarded weight loss with food, undoing all the hard work I put in.

Today, I had a few bites of breakfast standing up, but rememberd to sit for lunch and dinner. Mindful eating is still a work in progress :D

I hit the weights today, credit me! Did a full body circuit using 8 pound weights and my body wieght

I will be on the treadmill tomorrow morning.

My eating plan is to count calories and consume between 1400 and 1600 a day.
Today I had:
Breakfast - 310
Lunch - 750
Dinner - 465
Total - 1525

Lunch was about 300 calories too much :D Unfortunately this means that I only have approx. 75 calories for a snack and am at the high end of my caloric intake.

Sigh, I cracked since I was soo hungry and had some popcorn. Next time I will make a better choice and have some fruit or something

Hollyp
12-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Hello buddies! Have been out of power and now back. Cool! I did read that post nelia. And took a break for a couple days and feel good again. Not losing weight at all but will still practice beck as it is so good to do. The habits are so good to follow. Im very interested in this primal thing you talk about. Is that paleo book? And IF is intermittent fasting? I always assoc that with skipping meals and wondered if it was good, seems to be working for you!!

Canuckgirl7, good job reaching your st goal! I think slow and steady wins the race!

More tomorrow! Happy friday!

canuckgirl7
12-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Day 11: differentiate between hunger, desire and cravings

I started this at breakfast but didn't finish for lunch and dinner. Will try again Sturday or Sunday

Sabotaging thought: I know the difference b/w hunger. desire and craving

You might know the definition of the terms but when it comes to thinking of the difference in the application of meal choices, all reasoning goes out the window. It is too easy to label things hunger when it actually a craving and will probably go away soon, but if I (incorrectly) label it hunger I feel I need to eat.

No exercise today, there is always tomorrow

Nelia
12-02-2011, 11:46 PM
DAY 10

Set a Realistic Goal

I won't be satisfied until I get to my ideal weight. I don't deserve credit until I weigh 118 pounds.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Find satisfaction in the journey, not the destination. This is about developing healthful habits, not about a final number. Every time you've evidence of developing those healthful habits is a cause for celebration.

Losing only 1 - 2 pounds each week is too damn slow!

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

It may feel slow, but in truth, you're taking it off much faster then you put it on. Besides at this rate, worse case scenario, it will take you less than 2 months to reach your ultimate goal. By your birthday, you'll have cultivated the body and the habits that will last a lifetime. Spring will be here before you know it. And what's two months of slow progress when compared to the alternative, a lifetime of mediocrity and objectives not met?

Take the slow progress and an exceptional life!

TODAY

Weight - 125.4
Body Fat - 24.3 points

1. Planned Diet.
Meal 1 - Salmon salad
Meal 2 - Couple of eggs
Meal 3 - Tried to research the restaurant I'm going to this evening, but there's no online menu. It'll be meat and veggies of some sort.

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's LHT.

YESTERDAY

1. Actual Diet.
Meal 1 - Chorizo salad
Meal 2 - Pork ribs
Meal 3 - Smoked salmon tartare on a whole grain bun (FOUL) and a truffle. (Sigh. The bun is definitely NOT on Primal Path. But CREDIT for not totally going off the deep end and ordering the fruit juice as well.

One mindful meal - Fail. Fail. Fail. As evidenced by the bun. Dang. There's always today, right this minute, to get back on track.

2. Completed Exercise.
Primal's Move Slowly. Ran around the Royal Gardens.

- - - - - - - -

STARTING STATS

Weight - 130.8 pounds
Body Fat - 26.5 points
Waist - 31.50 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

Second Short Term Goal - 119.8
End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
12-02-2011, 11:55 PM
canuckgirl7 Great job hitting the weights! CREDIT! And well done tracking the calories. You may be just a bit over, but it's great knowing where you stand. And most of all TRIUMPH for staying mindful about being mindful!

Hollyp Mark's Daily Apple (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/) is the Primal source. And yeah. IF stands for Intermittent Fasting. This guy (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/) does a great job of covering the benefits as well as the science behind the benefits. (Laughing!) But it's definitely not for everyone. As I mentioned before, I'm busy. So less is more works perfectly for me.

What have you done in the past that's worked really well for you?

Ladies have a great Saturday and I'll see you tomorrow!

Hollyp
12-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Hello friends!

Nelia the only thing that worked in past was double hour long cardios, bodybuilding diet and 3 hrs exercise a day. Love today! Got on scale and it said 133!!!!! Havent seen that in a while. There was nothing dif about this week either! Wish i did bc I would surely repeat it!!!

Off to gym, swim later with twins, eat for every meal and master sticking to planned foods and not get lazy with that. Will work on that skill for a while.

Hope the scale continues tonmove, I have hope today!

Holly

Nelia
12-03-2011, 10:55 PM
DAY 11

Differentiate between Hunger, Desire and Cravings

Although I need to do this (complete the hunger chart), I don't want to. This seems a big pain in my ***.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Better a big pain in your *** than a big ***. Download the worksheet and commit to completing it for every meal you eat privately for the remainder of the week. It's one week and totally worth *** and thigh reduction! Besides this is a handy skill to learn once you reach maintenance. You want effortless healthful living? Learn to effortlessly discern between hunger and craving.

I must have a peppermint patty (cookie, Doritos, fish and chips) right this instant.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Right this instant, you're experiencing a craving, and that's cool. But remember, you have the ability to ignore cravings. Drink some water. Brush your teeth. Read a book. Take a walk. 20 minutes later if you're hungry, find something healthy to eat and to tide you over until your next planned meal or indulgence.

That food was so tasty, I'd like to go back for seconds.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

That food was good. But will seconds make it any better? Wait 20 minutes and see if you're hungry. If you are, by all means have more. If you're not, ask what will bring you more satisfaction. Overeating food that you've already enjoyed or getting into that pair of jeans you haven't worn in 10 years?

TODAY

Weight - 124.8
Body Fat - 24.5 points

1. Planned Diet.
FREE DAY

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Moving Slowly. Long leisurely walk.

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Diet.
Meal 1 - Salmon salad
Meal 2 - Nothing
Meal 3 - Bacon, saffron fish and rocket salad. Two glasses of wine.

One mindful meal - I tried. I really did. I made it about half way through and then picked up a book. (Sigh.)

2. Completed Exercise.
Primal's LHT. Finally made it into the gym! CREDIT!

- - - - - - - -

STARTING STATS

Weight - 130.8 pounds
Body Fat - 26.5 points
Waist - 31.50 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
12-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Hello friends!

Nelia the only thing that worked in past was double hour long cardios, bodybuilding diet and 3 hrs exercise a day. Love today! Got on scale and it said 133!!!!! Havent seen that in a while. There was nothing dif about this week either! Wish i did bc I would surely repeat it!!!

Off to gym, swim later with twins, eat for every meal and master sticking to planned foods and not get lazy with that. Will work on that skill for a while.

Hope the scale continues tonmove, I have hope today!

Holly

133! Success!

You've twins? How old are they? Now that reads a handful!

And what's the bodybuilding diet? (3 hours every day? Damn!)

Hollyp
12-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Hi Nelia, BB diet is eating every 3 hrs and high protein ( like 200g) ,low in fruits,dairy,sugar. Very tough as its also low in cals despite tremendous workouts! It worked but was too tough. I brought home trophies, made a transformation of my body and have still maintained most of it. I competed in figure.

I have twin 6 yo girls and they are awesome, easy and super fun!

Today have a lot planned, planned workout at gym, weights and spinning, then 20 min swim later while girls have a swim lesson. Exercise has never been my issue!

Goal today is to eat all meals planned and SIT for everything!

Todays weight is 134 , up a lb from yesterday.
Nelia do you think. I should weigh daily and post up? You weigh daily and what do you think is working best for you at this time? You seem to be losing awesomely and you are low close to goal like me. Im impressed....when I weigh daily it tends to really frustrate me and does NOT desensitize me to daily fluctuations as one might think.

There will be nothing tempting me today from my diet. Just myself!

Holly

Nelia
12-04-2011, 05:30 PM
DAY 12

Tolerate Hunger

I'm hungry! To **** with this fast!

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

To **** with this fast? To **** with your beach body! Listen, chick. You wanted an effortless way to maintain your weight without worrying about certain foods being available while traveling and without having to track the calories for every last morsel that entered your mouth. When you think fasting is too hard, think of the alternatives. Surely these last four or five hours of not eating is worth the freedom you experience the other four or five days of the week? That's what I thought. Now go do something to distract yourself. Grab a book or go outside for a walk.

TODAY

Weight - 127.2 (And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what a FREE DAY will get you. Not worth it.)
Body Fat - 24.7 points

1. Planned Diet.
a. IF
b. IF
c. Salmon salad

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Moving Slowly. Run in the royal gardens.

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Diet.
FREE DAY

2. Completed Exercise.
rimal's Moving Slowly. Long leisurely walk.

- - - - - - - -

STARTING STATS

Weight - 130.8 pounds
Body Fat - 26.5 points
Waist - 31.50 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
12-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Hi Nelia, BB diet is eating every 3 hrs and high protein ( like 200g) ,low in fruits,dairy,sugar. Very tough as its also low in cals despite tremendous workouts! It worked but was too tough. I brought home trophies, made a transformation of my body and have still maintained most of it. I competed in figure.

I have twin 6 yo girls and they are awesome, easy and super fun!

Today have a lot planned, planned workout at gym, weights and spinning, then 20 min swim later while girls have a swim lesson. Exercise has never been my issue!

Goal today is to eat all meals planned and SIT for everything!

Todays weight is 134 , up a lb from yesterday.
Nelia do you think. I should weigh daily and post up? You weigh daily and what do you think is working best for you at this time? You seem to be losing awesomely and you are low close to goal like me. Im impressed....when I weigh daily it tends to really frustrate me and does NOT desensitize me to daily fluctuations as one might think.

There will be nothing tempting me today from my diet. Just myself!

Holly

Hollyp. Brought home trophies? Whoa. That's amazing! What are you doing in here with us mere mortals?

With regards to the daily weigh in, I really believe it's all about individual preference. Personally, weighing in keeps me conscious, so to speak. And when I don't weigh in, it's usually an avoidance tactic of some sort.

But I will say that weighing in daily, while not making me numb (because, let's face it, I act a damn fool when I achieve a short-term goal) has desensitized me to the fluctuations.

And don't be too impressed by my recent weight loss. I'm coming off of a two week binge and I think my body is attempting to recalibrate and find its true weight. Based on past experience, I've another week of "immediate gratification", but thereafter, I'll be on the weekly grind of 1 to 1.5 pounds a week. Maybe less as I get closer to 21% body fat.

Wishing you much strength today as you sit through all of your meals!

Canuckgirl7. Uhmmmmm. Where you at?

canuckgirl7
12-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Yesterday I was a bit distracted and didn't read the book :(

DAY 12

Tolerate Hunger
Sabotaging Thought:
I don't want to tolerate hunger

Tolerating hunger will make me stronger in the face of it. Reminding myself that I will eat just not a this time will help me face this. I am fortunate to live where there is no shortage of food.

I will be trying this tomorrow.

Today was not a good day, I ate WAY more thatn I planned and went to a bridal shower for my cousin where of course I ate more and then felt like having chips at night.

Bad day all around plus its my TOM :devil:

Tomorrow is another day

Hollyp
12-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Nelia!

I am a mere mortal also with some discilpline but its tough to keep that pace and Ive put on 10 lbs since competing and want it off! I want to feel lighter on my feet and want those last what are mostly vanity lbs Im sure. So working the beck habits are just that, really good habits to practice. I like the beck ideas because they provide me a sense of control which I really need!

Went to the circus tonight, it was freezing here (in LA terms!) and had 2 bites of popcorn and one bite of hotdog. Ate healthy dinner before leaving home, credit myself for that and credit myself for not nibbling more! Worked out today, and had some unplanned park exercises while playing with the girls there, pullups,pushups and jumping jacks, and running between swinging swings became a fun game. Ate most meals sitting except for nibbling making dinner. Dont think too much damage was done!

See you Monday!! That weight will come off, dont worry!

Holly

Hollyp
12-05-2011, 12:16 AM
Yes Canuckgirl tomorrow always is another day, like your thoughts that there will always be more food, for that reason Im afraid to do the whole skip lunch thing that nelia bravely attempted! I find that posting here or another thread helps hold me somewhat in check daily.

Good luck on Monday, its a new week! Go get em!
Holly

Nelia
12-05-2011, 05:10 PM
DAY 13

Overcome Cravings

I know myself. Right now, I want to be lean and healthy. But when a craving strikes, I don't care. I can't see anything but my immediate pleasure or comfort.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Do you want to be at the mercy of your cravings forever? Do you want to continue to build and strengthen the barrier that prevents you from reaching your physical capacity for beauty? Do you want to prolong your feelings of being weak and out of control forever?

You've two choices.

1. Give in and fail.
2. Use the mindset and behavioral techniques, starting with step one.

Start weakening your fail muscle and start strengthening your success muscle!

TODAY

Weight - 127.2
Body Fat - 24.1 points

1. Planned Eating.
a. Salmon salad
b. Pork ribs
c. Chorizo salad

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's LHT.

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Diet.
a. IF
b. IF
c. Vegetable wrap. Too many dang chocolate truffles.

2. Completed Exercise.
Primal's Moving Slowly. Run in the Royal Gardens

- - - - - - - -

STARTING STATS

Weight - 130.8 pounds
Body Fat - 26.5 points
Waist - 31.50 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches
Thigh - 23 inches

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
12-05-2011, 05:13 PM
HollyP CREDIT for eating most meals while sitting down! Well done!

Cancuckgirl7 CREDIT to you for getting back in here, even after an off day. We all have them. But we don't all get back on the wagon. Triumph!

canuckgirl7
12-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Thanks Hollyp and Nelia

My knee has been feeling worse and I am going to have to make an appointment to have it looked at

Day 13: Overcome cravings
Sabotaging Thought: When it comes to cravings, I have no control

While it is easier to give in to cravings, I will feel better both physically and mentally if I can resist them and over time it will become easier and easier. I just have to use one (or more) of the techniques in the book to get past the cravings.

Today was better, though I admit I didn't read my ARC today. I did eat all my meals standing up, so good for me.
Still need to work on the exercise though

Nelia
12-06-2011, 06:42 PM
DAY 14

Plan

UGH! I want effortless weight loss. Writing down everything doesn't seem effortless!

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Effortless does not equal no investment. Changing your default behaviors resulting in weight gain requires monitoring and accountability. Once your default behaviors are changed to ensure weight loss and when applicable, weight maintenance, the need to monitor won't be required!

1. Follow food plan.
2. Monitor eating immediately after each meal and snack.
3. Give yourself credit.
4. Respond to Sabotaging Thoughts.

It's too regimented. I feel too damn restricted. This is not how I want my healthful journey to feel.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Effortless doesn't mean that I'm not required to make choices and stick to them. I can make these choices seem difficult or effortless according to the mindset of my choosing! I can choose to emphasize how planning takes away my flexibility and deprives me of impulse options. Or I can choose to emphasize how planning allows me the ease of not worrying about what decision to make when the decision-making is the most difficult. I can choose to believe that planning is healthy living and when integrated seamlessly into my lifestyle, planning makes the healthy choice effortless!

TODAY

Weight - 126.2
Body Fat - 21.9 points

1. Planned Eating.
a. Chorizo salad
b. Pork ribs
c. IF

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Moving Slowly. Run around the Royal Gardens.

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Diet.
a. Egg and vegetable wrap
b. Salmon salad
c. Half of a leftover candy bar. (Sigh. At least I ate that sucker sitting down.)

2. Completed Exercise.
Primal's LHT. Yeah! CREDIT! My first time back at the gym during the week!

- - - - - - - -

STATS (WEEK 2)

Weight - 131.8 pounds, 126.2 pounds
Body Fat - 26.5 points, 21.9 points
Waist - 31.50 inches, 30 inches
Tush - 37.75 inches, 37.5 inches
Thigh - 23 inches, 23.25 inches

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
12-06-2011, 06:45 PM
canuckgirl7. What's happening with the knee? Is this an old injury? (And I'm going to assume you meant sitting down. Laughing! CREDIT!)

canuckgirl7
12-06-2011, 09:10 PM
I did eat all my meals standing up, so good for me.
Good grief! I was really out of it when I wrote this! Thanks for pointing it out, yes, I meant sitting down

A sports physician said I had a thing called Patellofemoral syndrome (PFS) is characterized by knee pain in association with positions of the knee in relation to the femur. It was diagnosed on my left knee and I am experiencing worse pain in my right knee. I need to go dig up my ankle weights and start using them again. When my insurance kicks in I will see about seeing another sports pysician since my GP wasn't much help with the problem the first time.

Hollyp
12-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Hi gals! Was wondering about that standing and eating too! I fell off wagon tonight and ate sugar! NOT on the plan! (sigh, as nelia says!)

Im losing motivation and need to find what Im doing. I will go through motions of reading cards, eat while sitting and slowly not a problem , but sticking to exact menu is a problem, i rearrange it, I am NOT on any kind of diet right now besides exercising and eating as healthy as possible ( whichnis pretty darn healthy). And not really losing weight either. Nibbling still quite a bit, that bothers me that I cant get a grip om that.

I want to keep posting and trying but will trying to myself and consider myself almost at goal and not obsess about my "vain" weight and try to make peace with my healthy fit figure that only I see as a problem! This could take a lifetime! I stillmlove the beck principals but dont feel like Im taking them seriously but going through the motions somewhat. Does that make sense?

Just an observation of myself in the last week

Credits, exercise, unplanned exercise, cerditing, logging (albeit not sticking to it always), mindfulmslow eating, mostly sitting down, no more worrying if caught out and getting hungry

Problems that still exist: nibbling, mynhand is so fast I cant even think quick enough!, sometimes inhaling my food, getting much better but i still have this darn nibbling issue and if I dont get off the nobble train Ill be one way to huge a@@ville!

Thanks for listening gals, cannuck, hows your week so far? I habe terrible knee issues also, and have worked my way around them. Nelia, good job on the lb back down, hear you on the restrictiveness, if I can master sticking tonplanned diet Id be great!

Nelia
12-07-2011, 04:48 PM
DAY 15

Monitor

I just don't feel like monitoring my eating. I'm exhausted and I just want to eat, damn it. I don't want all this other tomfoolery.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Oh, but you do want the bloated tongue belly? And the thunder thighs that won't stop rumbling? I'd like to see you showcase that tomfoolery on the hot springs with your new boyfriend.

Quit your complaining and remember the prize! You. Exceptional in every way!

But, my diet is pretty easy. One meal, than Stop eating. On the Eat days, all I do is order off of menus. It's not that difficult to stay on plan.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Yeah. It's easy now. But how well did you do recording all of the food you ate while you were bingeing? Let me answer that for you. Not too hot. Establish the habit now, when you're flowing healthfully so that it's also easy to keep the habit when you're flowing not so healthfully. For the next four weeks, right everything down!

TODAY

Weight - 125.0
Body Fat - 25.0 points

1. Planned Eating.
a. Vegetable wrap and chocolate truffle
b. Pork ribs
c. Salmon salad

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's LHT.

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Diet.
a. Chorizo salad
b. IF
c. IF

2. Completed Exercise.

- - - - - - - -

STATS (WEEK 2)

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
12-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Good grief! I was really out of it when I wrote this! Thanks for pointing it out, yes, I meant sitting down

A sports physician said I had a thing called Patellofemoral syndrome (PFS) is characterized by knee pain in association with positions of the knee in relation to the femur. It was diagnosed on my left knee and I am experiencing worse pain in my right knee. I need to go dig up my ankle weights and start using them again. When my insurance kicks in I will see about seeing another sports pysician since my GP wasn't much help with the problem the first time.

Is building strength the solution? Or is this something that requires bracing or surgery?

Nelia
12-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Hollyp. (Laughing!) Just looking at your laundry list is overwhelming for me. Maybe tackle just one challenge per day? Or better yet, join canuckgirl7 and I and tackle one day per day?

I definitely feel you on the inhaling. There have been times when I don't even remember eating. We'll see if this monitoring business gets me back on track.

Hang tight. Don't let those sabotaging thoughts get the best of you!

canuckgirl7
12-07-2011, 06:32 PM
The physio they had me doing involved stretches (which I have written down somewhere), squats and strength training. I haven't had problems with it for a long time. I am wondering if the extra weight and the sedentary lifestyle have aggrevated the problem. I weighed less when it was diagnosed in 2009 and lost and gained :( over the next two years. I am at my highest weight ever and don't start work until next Monday. I have been doing squats and will be looking up stretches to help

Day 14 and 15: Plan for tomorrow and monitor your eatiing
The wifi connection was not working well last night when I wanted to post so I will double up the posts for today.

Planning for tomorrow is a good idea, I just need to incorporate the strategies for overcoming cravings to stick to the plan.

I did plan for today and stuck to it (except I did eat to much) so I guess partial credit.
The next step is to inlcude the calorie count.

Sabotaging thought: monitoring what I eat is too much work
Seeing what I ate will help me realize my goals better. If I plan what I want to eat and keep it within my calorie allowance (1400-1600 a day) I can eat what I want, but not necessarily as much as I want.

Planning what I will eat will give me a better sense of control of this aspect of my life and will give me a sense of accomplishement when I stick to the plan.

This week I am up two pounds, losuy TOM. Hopefully next week I can get back down to 182 and keep going down.
Credit me for eating SITTING DOWN.

I am still working on eating mindfully and slowing dow to stretch out my meals. I admit that I eat while watching tv.

Again I will work on putting down the fork between bites and having a drink of water to help slow me down.

I am going to re-read day five which is eat slowly and mindfully

Tomorrow I will do Day 11 Differenitate between Hunger, Desire and cravings. I read the chapter but hadn't picked a day to actually put it into practice and don't want to get too far into the book without doing it for fear that I will forget

I will do day 12 practice hunger tolerance on Friday. Again I read the chapter but hadn't picked a day to put it into practice.

Nelia
12-08-2011, 05:25 PM
DAY 16

No Choice

I don't feel like following my rules. I just want immediate comfort/solace/pleasure and that means eating my favorite foods planned or unplanned. Damn it.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

That's great that you don't feel like following your own rules. That's great if you do feel like following your own rules. But, it really doesn't matter. Feeling it or not feeling it, you've NO CHOICE but to follow. Living healthfully effortlessly means creating new defaults. And creating new defaults means following your own rules until your rules become second nature.

I deserve to eat what I want, when I want. Isn't that what effortless is all about?

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Effortless can be about finding pleasure in your priorities, not just about finding pleasure where it's easy. And what's your top priority? Is the "I deserve to be thinner and feel good about myself" priority higher than the "I deserve to be able to eat whatever I want whenever I want" priority? If it isn't, will you be able to claim an exceptional life?

No. You won't.

Align your pleasure with your priorities. Then you'll know effortless.

I can't accept that I'll never be able to eat spontaneously.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Where has spontaneity gotten you? Nearly 160 pounds. Planning? Nearly 120 pounds. Case closed.

Nelia's NO CHOICE RULES (until I reach the maintenance stage)

1. No more than two glasses of red wine at any social occasion. No other alcohol allowed.
2. No more than one medium sized plate at brunches or buffets. Order no more than one appetizer or one meal at any restaurant.
3. No indulgences that haven't been planned in the morning.
4. No more than one small indulgence per day during the week.
6. No more than one free meal per week.
7. No more than one indulgence per day.
8. Two fasts each week. 28 hours minimum.
9. Minimum five work outs per week.

TODAY

Weight - 124.0
Body Fat - 23.1 points

1. Planned Eating.
a. Salmon salad
b. Chicken stuffed with spinach, feta and sun dried tomato. 1 piece of dark chocolate with Kampot pepper. 1 coconut truffle.
c. Chorizo salad

2. Planned Exercise.

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Diet.
a. Bacon cheese chicken burger without bun.
b. Chicken stuffed with spinach, feta and sun dried tomato. 1 piece of dark chocolate with Kampot pepper. 1 coconut truffle.
c. Not hungry.

2. Completed Exercise.
Primal's LHT (My work-outs have been on point this week! CREDIT!)

- - - - - - - -

STATS (WEEK 2)

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
12-08-2011, 05:33 PM
The physio they had me doing involved stretches (which I have written down somewhere), squats and strength training. I haven't had problems with it for a long time. I am wondering if the extra weight and the sedentary lifestyle have aggrevated the problem. I weighed less when it was diagnosed in 2009 and lost and gained :( over the next two years. I am at my highest weight ever and don't start work until next Monday. I have been doing squats and will be looking up stretches to help

Will your new job have you on the move?

Planning what I will eat will give me a better sense of control of this aspect of my life and will give me a sense of accomplishement when I stick to the plan.

Amen!

This week I am up two pounds, losuy TOM. Hopefully next week I can get back down to 182 and keep going down.
Credit me for eating SITTING DOWN.

You will! And nicely done re sitting down! That's two for two! CREDIT!

I am still working on eating mindfully and slowing dow to stretch out my meals. I admit that I eat while watching tv.

Again I will work on putting down the fork between bites and having a drink of water to help slow me down.

I am going to re-read day five which is eat slowly and mindfully

I'm there with you, sister. I suck at eating mindfully.

(Blushing) I've a new goal to add. I met someone online. At least virtually met. And we'll be meeting in person for the first time at the end of January. (Sigh.) He has zero body fat. With these thighs and ***, I can't compete. But my goal is to be sub-120 and to have some sort of abs emergence by that time.

I haven't been sub-120 since before college. It would be nothing short of a miracle. Do you think that's a realistic goal?

canuckgirl7
12-08-2011, 11:12 PM
(Blushing) I've a new goal to add. I met someone online. At least virtually met. And we'll be meeting in person for the first time at the end of January. (Sigh.) He has zero body fat. With these thighs and ***, I can't compete. But my goal is to be sub-120 and to have some sort of abs emergence by that time.

I haven't been sub-120 since before college. It would be nothing short of a miracle. Do you think that's a realistic goal?

Awww :hug: Its nice that you met someone. Hope the meeting goes well.
DOn't try to compete with anyone esp. a guy. Everybody's body is different. I doubt you (or any female) would look good with 0% body fat.

I think 5 pound (minimum weight loss) for the end of January is realistic and safe. You have about 7 weeks right? A pound a week is safe and achiveable.
Don't know about the abs though.

Will your new job have you on the move? Not really as it is office work (admin position). But it will mean having somewhere to go during the day (as opposed to sitting at home) I find if I have to get up and go somewhere I am likely to be active in general. Staying at home all day is surprisingly tiring.

I ended up looking for a photo of Royal Gardens in Phnom Phen because you have written about running there so often. It looks beautiful! Lucky you :)

Today I rated my hunger levels before, during, after and immediately after breakfast, lunch and dinner. I managed to eat mindfully for the first two meals (one lasted 20 minutes, the other 15) but not for dinner. Had a few pieces of celery standing up while making lunch but ate everything else sitting down, credit me!

Day 16:Prevent Unplanned eating
Sabotaging thought
I deserve to eat what I want.

If I want to be thinner, I can't eat what I want, when I want. I need to plan ahead and stick to it.
Spontaneous eating hasn't worked in the past, when it comes to being thinner I have NO CHOICE

I will come up with eating rules over the next few days/weeks.

Hollyp
12-09-2011, 12:39 AM
Congrats nelia on meeting someone online! Your goals sound realistic, but I'm sure you look great even at the weight you're at, which is low! To see abs it's around sub 20% body fat if I remember correctly. My hubby is like 8% bf and he loves me just the way I am, and have been, chunky, solid and muscular, or soft skinny! Oh yea, abs are made in the kitchen, so abs will emerge with a totally clean chocolate free diet! :)

YOur foods sound amazing that you eat everyday. Like a restaurant menu!

Canuck, good luck at your, new job, the movement will be great! I would love a little time off to be tired at home! Definitely credit you for sitting down with that celery! I have sat down right on the kitchen counter just to sit. This is my biggest issue too.

Thinking of planning my missed lunch fast and I'm scared, nelia I know you do it all the time but did that take some getting used to at first? I will plan a work day and keep busy, have a large bf and have dinner all planned and cooked and RTG. I know I can do it, just don't want to!

See you girls tomorrow!

Holly

Hollyp
12-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Hello friends!

Happy to report I fasted from bf to dinner, 9 hours and it went beautifully! I was hungry for only 5 min at 11:30 am and was momentarily unconpmfortable and cruised the rest of the day, it was soooo cool! I knew I could do it! Came home to reasonable dinner, full quickly. I could ,honestly do that again, although nelia don't know yphownyou skip lunch AND dinner. That's tough. May try that though one day

Hope you ladies are doing well and OP. Posting sure helps me stay accoutable. I appreciate you nelia for starting this thread and sticking with it. You are doing great!

Cannuck, how is your your hunger rating, and are you still sitting down?

Have a great wwekend all,

Holly

canuckgirl7
12-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Day 17:End Overeating
Sabotaging ThoughtThe idea of purposly putting extra food on my plate seems like a counter intuitive.

There are plenty of situations where the possibilty of overeating is likely to occur. Pretty much every restaurant makes portion sizes way too big.

Reminding myself of the anti-craving techniques and asking myself "how will I feel in 10 minutes after I overeat".
I guess this is where the expression a "moment on the lips a lifetime on the hips" comes from.

Hopefully successfully dealing with this challenge at home will give me the confidence to do it when I go out.

Today I only had a few bites while standing up for lunch and the rest sitting down, credit me. Didin't make the full 20 minutes.

canuckgirl7
12-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Day 18: change your definition of full
I know I have an unrealisitc of fullness, my size 12 pants are proof of this. THinking about wheter or not I could easily go for a moderate to brisk walk is an interesting idea.

I will have to remember to give myself credit for not overeating.
Today I practiced hunger tolerance. It wasn't too bad.

Learning to differentiate between overfullness and normal fullness is going to be challenging.

For the next few days I might not be online since I will be another city for work and don't know how much I can post. I will record my thoughts on paper and probably post them online over the weekend.

Have a good week, both of you

Nelia
12-11-2011, 05:08 PM
DAY 17

Live Abundantly

One trip to the buffet just won't get it. I must get my money's worth!

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Why must your money's worth be defined by quantity and adding junk to your trunk? If you want to lose weight, change how you define your money's worth. How about basing worth on the "tastiness" factor or the caliber of the experience? One trip to the buffet will get it if you value quality over quantity.

Alright, just one more bite and then I'll stop eating. Even though I'm full, I just don't want to end the pleasure!

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

One more bite equals one more pound added to that muffin top you're carrying around (visualize Week 1 bloated tongue where waist was once present). And remember how awful you feel afterward by attempting to extend that pleasurable moment by overeating? The bloat? The discomfort felt wearing pants that are too tight? The helplessness of feeling out of control? The regret of the extra pounds? The truth is you're not extending pleasure. You're voluntarily bringing yourself pain. It's OK to end a pleasurable experience on a high note! Spend less time focusing on what you might be missing and spend more time appreciating and savoring what you're eating. And remember, this is one meal of thousands in your lifetime. There is always more pleasure to be had.

But this might be my last chance to eat in this restaurant/at this special event/when on vacation/while back home/during the holidays. I might never have access to this food again.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

So what. Yes, the food is tasty. Yes, it's an experience to be savored. But if you never have the food again, what's the worst that can happen? If you reinforce your habit of overeating, what's the worst that can happen? If you overeat, have you made the food any more tasty? Is the experience any more pleasurable? Do not make your choices according to scarcity. Live abundantly. You've so many opportunities ahead of you that your life menu is unlimited.

This is such a sacrifice. To **** with this diet, I don't care. I'm not relinquishing this food experience. I want it. I'm having it.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Is it a sacrifice? Or is it really a celebration of you and your choice to claim your exceptional self? Instead of looking at the price, why not look at what the purchase gets you. Sub 124 pounds? Sub 21%? An hourglass figure? Is that a sacrifice?
I didn't think so. Change your attitude. Relish each opportunity you have to establish your portions and to determine what's off limits before you start eating. And don't begrudge your decision to celebrate you. Be proud of every healthy choice you make!

TODAY

Weight - 127.8
Body Fat - 23.1 points

1. Planned Eating.
a. IF
b. IF
c. Rocket salad with pate

2. Planned Exercise.
a. Primal's Moving Slowly. Run around the Royal Gardens.
b. LHT

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Diet.
Binged beyond all reason. (Sigh.)

2. Completed Exercise.
Primal's Moving Slowly. City walk.

- - - - - - - -

STATS (WEEK 2)

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
12-11-2011, 05:31 PM
canuckgirl7. Gone?! All week long?! ACK! Whatever will I do!

(Sigh.) I'll be here when you return. And despite missing you, I'm thrilled you'll be starting your new gig. When you do log in, be certain to share the details!

And yeah. Running in the Royal Gardens ain't a bad way to spend time.

Hollyp. (Laughing!) That's the beauty of Primal. Dark chocolate allowed! And plenty of those fellas and dolls have abs that just won't quit!

But I agree with you. The few times I've hit 22% on the scale, I've seen an ab or two peeking. I think sub-20% is the spot for consistent abs clearance.

Congratulations on your first fast! You seemed to pull it off without a hitch! And yeah. My strategy is the same as your strategy. Keep busy! That's why I typically do better skipping breakfast and lunch, rather than lunch and dinner.

And thanks to you for keeping me company! Y'all don't know how much your dedication to the cause keeps me motivated!

On my end. This is the second weekend that I've crashed and burned. Big time. Saturday I didn't post due to black-out. (Love Cambodia.) But yesterday I didn't post due to a personal black-out. I didn't step on the scale. Need I say more?

Last week, my goal was to exercise everyday. Goal conquered. CREDIT. But this week, my goal is to keep it together over the weekend. So here's my commitment (and ladies, hold me accountable)!

1. I will log in and plan each morning;
2. I will review my cards, particularly those concerning bingeing;
3. I will eat and exercise as planned;
4. I will not even think about entering a convenience store;
5. I will keep busy!

This week is also the start of my double work-outs! I'm committed to completing two this week!

Today, the yo-yo ends. And ladies, if you have any recommendations or suggestions, please throw it on the table.

119, sub-20s, here I come!

Nelia
12-12-2011, 05:34 PM
DAY 18

Change Definition of Full

I like feeling really, really full. (Actually, I don't really like it anymore.)

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

I need to accept that the state of being over full isn't normal. And what's more, this desire won't get me to my weight loss goals. In the past, I may have liked feeling really, really full. But I'll enjoy being a bombshell even more. Besides, eating reasonably doesn't mean that I can't enjoy food. And if I eat mindfully, it doesn't matter the portion. Quality wins over quantity every time!

But I can eat unlimited protein, veggies and fruit? Right?

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

You could. But what happens when those foods aren't available? How will you handle yourself? Isn't better to train yourself to recognize normal fullness rather than rely on certain foods being available. Therefore, no matter what situation you're in (e.g. movie theatre, jungle or reception) and no matter what foods are available, you'll have a reliable measure for a healthy round of eating. No matter what foods are available, practice recognizing normal fullness. Practice makes perfect (and thin)!

What happens if I get hungry before my next meal?

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

You get hungry. Haven't you successfully practice intermittent fasting and gone 24 hours without eating anything? You know by now that hunger is not an emergency, nor is it something you need to fear. Learn to love the unfed state and appreciate that you're doing serious damage to the muffin top and thunder thighs!

I like overeating. There's something so satisfying in prolonging the eating experience and in satiating my every last taste bud desire.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Why is there this underlying desperation to your bingefests? What do you fear? Is food a crutch or an option? There is nothing wrong in prolonging pleasure or satiating desires, provided it doesn't jeopardize your priority of claiming an exceptional life and that includes making the healthful choice. When you feel driven to eat, rather than doing the driving, ask whether you are truly seeking pleasure or are instead, attempting to avoid some sort of pain. The former you'll be able to achieve in moderation, no problem. But you won't be able to achieve the latter without compromising self. What choice will you make?

TODAY

Weight - 129.0 (Pull it together, Nelia!)
Body Fat - 23.7 points

1. Planned Eating.
a. Cooked salmon salad
b. Boiled eggs
c. Chicken satay, pork larb

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Sprints - Spin class

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Diet.
a. IF
b. IF
c. Binged beyond all reason. Chips. Pasta. Candy bar. Cookies. (Gotta get to the bottom of this.)

2. Completed Exercise.

- - - - - - - -

STATS (WEEK 2)

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Hollyp
12-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Ok girls I'm back. Needed a break from the time consuming logging. Nelia will hang out here, another thread takes too much time. I like having just a couple people to talk to rather than 10! I have started Pauline Nordics fighter diet and it's much like my previous figure comp diet, high high protein, low fats and carbs. Will probably have to add to it and cut a little protein to make it a lifestyle

Nelia love your current thought processes. Glad we can be of help to you! If I don't come on here daily now you'll know why. But your thoughts are exactly mine, and after the easy day fast I was soooo hungry the next, are you? And had a tny binge that night when I got home. Not sure it was productive for me butnhadnsome euphoric feelings going and that was fun. Felt so in control and was so proud of myself that I could do it!

Talk soon, keep it together! Keep up that activity! :)

Nelia
12-13-2011, 04:30 PM
DAY 19

Stop Fooling Myself (I need to memorize, live and breath Day 19!)

It's OK to eat this because it'll just be this one time.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

How many "this one times" are sticking to your thighs and *** as you read this. Is the number on the scale OK? Then this one time is not OK. Stop deluding yourself and stick to your planned meals. Eat as planned just this one time.

It's OK to eat this because I'll make up for it and eat less later.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Guess what? Later is today. You weigh _______. Your long past due to "make up." Besides, we're into healthful eating, not binge eating. Yes the roller coaster has highs, but remember how devastated you feel at the lows? Let's get off this roller coaster permanently and stick to the menu as planned!

It's OK to eat this because I'm upset and I just don't care!

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

I might not care right this instant. But I will care in a few minutes when the craving buzz is gone and all I'm left with is my damn muffin top and extra weight. I am upset, but eating unplanned food will only add to the pain. Instead of eating, go for a walk, read a book or call your diet buddy. And remember, you do care.

It's OK to eat this because it's a special occasion.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

And because it's a special occasion you don't care about being able to wear a bikini? You don't care about being able to wear jeans? You don't care about feeling like the Jolly Fat Giant in Cambodia? Is the occasion that special? I didn't think so. Stop looking for justification and start looking for something healthy.

It's OK to eat this...

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Stop right there. If you're rationalizing, you're off plan. You do care. It does matter. It's not worth it. Recognize and live your exceptional self. Not your mediocre self. You deserve so much better than that. You are better than that.

TODAY

Weight - 127.2
Body Fat - 21.2 points

1. Planned Eating.
a. IF
b. IF
c. Chicken satay, pork larb

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Moving Slowly - Run around the Royal Gardens

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Diet.
a. Cheese bacon chicken burger. Sans bun.
b. Cooked salmon salad
c. Boiled eggs

2. Completed Exercise.
None.

- - - - - - - -

STATS (WEEK 2) I'll weigh in tomorrow as I'm in a bit of a rush this morning!

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
12-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Ok girls I'm back. Needed a break from the time consuming logging. Nelia will hang out here, another thread takes too much time. I like having just a couple people to talk to rather than 10! I have started Pauline Nordics fighter diet and it's much like my previous figure comp diet, high high protein, low fats and carbs. Will probably have to add to it and cut a little protein to make it a lifestyle

Nelia love your current thought processes. Glad we can be of help to you! If I don't come on here daily now you'll know why. But your thoughts are exactly mine, and after the easy day fast I was soooo hungry the next, are you? And had a tny binge that night when I got home. Not sure it was productive for me butnhadnsome euphoric feelings going and that was fun. Felt so in control and was so proud of myself that I could do it!

Talk soon, keep it together! Keep up that activity! :)

Ooh. Do you have a link to the Fighter Diet? I'm always up for new information and new approaches re high protein intake!

I'm usually not crazy hungry, unless I have a double work-out day. And I rarely binge because of hunger pains. I'm all about emotional eating. The only reason I haven't completely gone off the deep end of recent is because of you two!

But I did have a major triumph last night. I was more than a bit down last night and actually found myself in the convenient store, headed toward the candy bar aisle. I did the back and forth for at least a minute before the Helpful Response won the battle. I walked out empty handed. Major triumph! And thankfully, the scale has acknowledged my efforts!

canuckgirl7
12-13-2011, 07:00 PM
I am back
Sunday, Monday and today my eating has been all over the place.
I have been eating sitting down and have been planning what to eat. I have been eating out so I grabbed the nutrition guide for two places nearby and have been using that. DInner monday was not planned and don't know how many cals I consumed, but I have been nervous about work and not had much of an apetite during the day.

I weighted in at 180 on Sunday. I will update on Sunday when I am at home. Right now I don't have access to a scale which is probably a good thing, since (as I have emntioned in the past) I tend to celebrate weight loss by overeating. If I don't know where I am now, I can't celebrate and I hope that by the next weigh in I will have continued to strengthen my resistance muscle that I don't give in and "reward" myself with food.

I will post my thoughts about the missing days tomorow or Thursday.

The new job is fine, it is an administrative position with the federal government of Canada, I am also looking for a place to rent which takes time (but I have friends in this city who I am staying with).

Sunday, Monday and Tuesday I have eaten sitting down, credit me
I am still working on the mindful eating. I have asked myself twice if I could go for a brisk walk after eating, the answer was no on Monday (ate wayyy too much and then had a tea and then actually did walk) it was very uncomfortable.

Tuesday I was fine though I consumed about 650 cals for dinner.

I have had three days of spontaneous exercise (walked 30 mintues with two heavy bags to my friends house) walked 20+ minutes from work to downtown and a little downtown. Today I walked about 15 minutes. I take the stairs up four flights at work.
Unfortunately I forgot my ARC in Toronto, but at this point I pretty much have them memorized and they are posted in this thread :p

I hope everyone's week has been going well so far.

But I did have a major triumph last night. I was more than a bit down last night and actually found myself in the convenient store, headed toward the candy bar aisle. I did the back and forth for at least a minute before the Helpful Response won the battle. I walked out empty handed. Major triumph! And thankfully, the scale has acknowledged my efforts!

CREDIT YOU good for you. Your abs will thank you for resisting the candy and your resistance muscle is getting stronger everyday

Nelia
12-14-2011, 09:52 PM
@canuckgirl7 Good to see you in here! Can't wait to hear more about your new gig! I was running exceptionally late this morning, but I'll be back in here tomorrow!

canuckgirl7
12-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Nelia I noticed your last post was for day 19 should we just continue on from there even though it is a few days behind?

Day 20 Get back on Track
This is a challenge for me. I think it is far too easy to just say "I didn't stick with the plan for luunch, might as well eat whatever". I like the pyramid of food in the book that shows how much food you wold have to eat to truly gain a pound. An extra slice of pizza is not a big deal.

When I stray from the plan I will ask myself "just how many calories was that"? Odds are it was not enough to blow my diet (I need to remind myself this is 3500 more than I need, not just 3500 in a day) and then get on with it.

Today I had a few French fries standing up and stopped myself and sat down for the rest, credit me. I havent' been the best at tracking everything over the past week and find myself again at 180. I am happy that I haven't gained (though I ma a little disappointed that I didin't lose).

This week I should have internet access everyday so will be posting everyday.

I misplaced my ARC so I will rewrite them so I can continue to look at them.
Mindful eating is still a work in progress :D

Nelia
12-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Shucks! I had a horrible Internet connection yesterday and I see my post didn't post. Probably for the better. Nothing but a bunch of whining and moaning! Came into work this morning at 5am, just to check-in!

Nelia
12-19-2011, 05:36 PM
DAY 20

Get Back on Track!

I can't believe I ate that! I'm so weak! I'm have no control! I'm pathetic! I don't have any discipline! I'll never lose weight!

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Wow. Are you glad you got that out of your system? Beating yourself up about previous slip ups hasn't helped you to lose weight in the past. Why don't you try something different? Perhaps empathy with a bit of perspective. If you draw that line right here and right now, how much damage has really been done?

I'll never be able to stop myself from bingeing.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Mistakes are inevitable. Failure isn't. You will binge. And when you do, come back here. Review. Breath. Draw the line. Learn. Revision.

Since I messed up, I might as well take advantage of it and eat craptacular for the rest of the day/week/month. I'll get back on track tomorrow/on Monday/on the first day of the month.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Yes, you could rationalize that a certain day or date makes for a better recovery. But you'll also be rationalizing extra fat added to your muffin top and thunder thighs. Stop the madness right here, right now and take advantage of sustained weight loss and a healthy lifestyle. Today is the day!

Imma binger. Imma always be a binger. Might as well keep on bingeing.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Uhmmmmm. Let me get this right. Our of 113 days you've binged for eleven, maybe twelve, days and that less than 10 percent defines who you are? Get a grip chick. Yeah, you're not perfect. But you're also not a binger. Don't allow your mistakes to define you. Enable your ability to recover and be consistent to define you. This is a new day and a new Nelia. A healthful Nelia. Don't justify continued bingeing because of past behavior for a minute longer. Get back on the healthful Nelia wagon where you rightfully belong. You've earned your seat!

TODAY

Weight - 130.8 (The reckoning!)
Body Fat - 22.7 points

1. Planned Eating.
a. Green curry with chicken and rice
b. Vegetable pasta

2. Planned Exercise.
None

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Diet.
Didn't plan yesterday!

2. Completed Exercise.
Primal's moving slowly. Run in Royal Gardens.

- - - - - - - -

STATS (WEEK 2)

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
12-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Nelia I noticed your last post was for day 19 should we just continue on from there even though it is a few days behind?

Day 20 Get back on Track
This is a challenge for me. I think it is far too easy to just say "I didn't stick with the plan for luunch, might as well eat whatever". I like the pyramid of food in the book that shows how much food you wold have to eat to truly gain a pound. An extra slice of pizza is not a big deal.

When I stray from the plan I will ask myself "just how many calories was that"? Odds are it was not enough to blow my diet (I need to remind myself this is 3500 more than I need, not just 3500 in a day) and then get on with it.

Today I had a few French fries standing up and stopped myself and sat down for the rest, credit me. I havent' been the best at tracking everything over the past week and find myself again at 180. I am happy that I haven't gained (though I ma a little disappointed that I didin't lose).

This week I should have internet access everyday so will be posting everyday.

I misplaced my ARC so I will rewrite them so I can continue to look at them.
Mindful eating is still a work in progress :D

*SOB* canuckgirl7, I'm so glad to see you! (Smiling) I'm lost without a buddy! Not only have a fallen off the wagon, it's so far off in the distance that I'm not certain I can catch up.

But I will. I'm giving myself a bit of a break this week. That doesn't mean bingeing as I have been the last week, but it doesn't mean straight veggies and protein either. And the break will last just until I return from Thailand where I'll have access to goodies I don't have in Cambodia.

You, on the other hand, are doing fabulously! Despite the new job, new locale and new diet, you are sticking to the Beck protocol! CREDIT!

Can't wait to hear more details about the new gig. . .

canuckgirl7
12-20-2011, 07:25 PM
*SOB* canuckgirl7, I'm so glad to see you! (Smiling) I'm lost without a buddy! Not only have a fallen off the wagon, it's so far off in the distance that I'm not certain I can catch up.

Dont worry I promise I wont let you down.

You posted your stats and it is interesting to note that while your weight hasn't changed your body fat has gone down. Credit you!

I am looking for an apartment right now and am staying with a friend you rents a room in a house. I prepared sandwiches to eat for lunch and oatmeal for breakfast but am finding that this is not enough, esp. in terms of protein. Today I ended up having a six inch chicken and bacon ranch sub from Subway lunch and a bacon burger from another restaurant for dinner. I will reevaluate what I eat during the day for tomorrow ans see how it goes. Today I did some spontaneous exercise, I ended up walking for about 45 minutes after work (to get my burger :D). It was a bit cold but the walk was nice. I had all my meals sitting down except for a few french fries. I wasn't eating mindfully because I was starving. Not getting the right amount of nutrients really threw me off. Tomorrow I will get back on track

Day 21Get ready to weigh in
I actually weighed in Sunday and my weight has not changed (180). I am happy that it did not go up and upon reflection of my eating habits understand why it hasnt gone down.

Before I step on the scale next Monday or Tuesday (no way am I going to touch my scale on Christmas :D), I will remind myself that:
the number on the scale is not the only determinant of health and not the only measure of success (things like mindful eating, eating until just full, tolerating hunger are also important in the long term)

Wow. Are you glad you got that out of your system? Beating yourself up about previous slip ups hasn't helped you to lose weight in the past. Why don't you try something different? Perhaps empathy with a bit of perspective. If you draw that line right here and right now, how much damage has really been done?

Mistakes are inevitable. Failure isn't. You will binge. And when you do, come back here. Review. Breath. Draw the line. Learn. Revision.

Well said:)

canuckgirl7
12-21-2011, 07:48 PM
I haven't been ticking to my plan for the past two weeks, but I didn't feel as hungry today (i ate more protein at breakfast)

I ate sitting down, I was mindful in the sense that I looked at breakfast and said "this won't last me 20 minutes":D next time I will be sure to drink more tea.

Went for a 10-15 minute walk today, credit me for the spontaneous exercise ( I would have done more except it was raining).

I have also fallen behind in the planning of meal and writing down everything.

Day 22: Say Oh well to disappointment
Sabotaging thought: Sounds too simple to actually
Response: if it's simple you should have no problem doing it right? GIve it a shot, it just might work.

canuckgirl7
12-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Nelia? You still around? How are you doing?

Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

I have been terrible about following the plan, but I 'm back. I found my missing cards so I can read them daily now.

Day 23 Counter the unfairness syndrome
I created a Response Card:
When it seems unfair to me that I can't eat something, acknowledge that it is fine to feel like this. Then ask myself "which unfairness would I rather have: not being able to eat this or not losing weight?"
Then say "Oh well" and get on with it

I haven't been sticking with the plan much lately.
Some standing while eating, mindful eating has slipped badly :(

My weight has not changed but I guess I should remain positive in that it has not gone up.

I know one of the reasons that my eating hasn't been the greatest is that I am not living in my own place. I have been staying with friends and that sort of makes it hard to plan and prepare (limited storage space etc.)

I am still looking for my own place.
The job is with the governement (specifically I work in a prison doing administrative work for the pyschiatry dept).

The work is fine and there is a fridge, toaster oven and microwave so bringing food in is not a challenge (once I regularly start preparing it)

I will do my best to post Wednesday and will try to get a post in Thursday (I will be at a wedding Thursday evening).

I have also joined two challenges on 3FC: the bikini challenge (not that I have any plans to actually wear one :D) and the biggest loser challenge. I am hoping to rejoin the YMCA in January and will look into doing yoga as well.
I am hoping these challenges give me the kick in the butt to step up the weight loss.

Nelia
12-28-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm here! I'm here! End of the year hustle at my company. Thankfully today is the last! Expect a full update and check-in tomorrow morning!

Being a transient can definitely make consistent eating more challenging! Good luck in the challenges and I'll see you tomorrow!

Nelia
12-30-2011, 01:49 AM
DAY 21

I don't want to weigh myself, I think (or more likely, know) that I've gained weight.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

I may or may not have gained weight. If I have, it's not the end of the world. But I need to face facts today, so that I can regroup and re-strategize today.

What, all this work and I lost a measly pound? This ain't worth it!

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

One. Measly. Pound. Excellent! Studies show, the slower the weight loss, the more likely the weight loss will be maintained. Congratulations for taking a deliberate and measured approach to weight loss. This is the true indicator that you're committed to healthful living. You're headed straight to the beach with a beach body. And isn't that worth something?

What, all this work and I've gained weight? Are you serious?

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

1. You will not lose weight every week. Adjust your expectations as to what successful weight loss looks like. The big picture is 4 - 8 pounds per month.

2. If you did gain weight, review your week and especially your food journal. Were you honest about your carbohydrate intake? Did you have any unplanned meals? Have you been eating each meal mindfully?

3. Finally, remember, this week's plateau could be the jump off for the a significant weight loss next week!

ACK! Why isn't my body fat moving? It doesn't matter how healthy I am, the scale still says that I'm obese, fat and just downright mediocre! What's the point of continuing?

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

That's interesting. I thought you were interested in enjoying the journey of creating healthful habits. I didn't know your primary motivation was to allow a battery operated device to define you and what your efforts are worth.
Remember. The scale is simply an information tool. This is a mechanical process. If you consumer fewer calories than you expend, the number on the scale will eventually decrease. Period. There's no judgment involved. Only analysis. Every time you step on the scale think about what the data conveys. And then based on the information received, ask yourself, what's your next action?

Give it a few more days? Eat less? Exercise more?

It's that simple. Keep it that way.

TODAY

Weight - 126.8
Body Fat - 26.0 points

1. Planned Eating.
a. Salmon salad
b. Pate and rocket salad. Maybe some bacon.
c. Pork ribs.

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's LHT.

- - - - - - - -

STATS (What week are we on? Sigh.)

Start Date - 30 December 2011 (Restart)
End Date -
Number of Days -

First Short Term Goal - 126.8 (Hilarious. I was this exact same weight a month ago! Time to make something happen!)
Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
12-30-2011, 02:09 AM
Nelia? You still around? How are you doing?

Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Not so merry. It's more than a bit lonely on this side of the pond. But that's OK. It'll make me more appreciative when I'm not lonely next year.

But I've been on an emotional roller coaster, and therefore an eating roller coaster, for the last few weeks. I finally managed to reel it in two days ago. And I'm starting to feel myself. But it's tentative. Being back in here makes the tentative less tentative and more determined.

I agree with you. Maintaining is nice. But I want more loss. (Smiling)120 needs to be my new 130.

I have been terrible about following the plan, but I 'm back. I found my missing cards so I can read them daily now.

Day 23 Counter the unfairness syndrome
I created a Response Card:
When it seems unfair to me that I can't eat something, acknowledge that it is fine to feel like this. Then ask myself "which unfairness would I rather have: not being able to eat this or not losing weight?"
Then say "Oh well" and get on with it

I haven't been sticking with the plan much lately.
Some standing while eating, mindful eating has slipped badly :(

My weight has not changed but I guess I should remain positive in that it has not gone up.

I know one of the reasons that my eating hasn't been the greatest is that I am not living in my own place. I have been staying with friends and that sort of makes it hard to plan and prepare (limited storage space etc.)

I am still looking for my own place.
The job is with the governement (specifically I work in a prison doing administrative work for the pyschiatry dept).

As I mentioned above, it's not easy to be consistent when your environment isn't. Are you having any luck finding a place?

Your job seems pretty damn intense. Do you enjoy your work?

The work is fine and there is a fridge, toaster oven and microwave so bringing food in is not a challenge (once I regularly start preparing it)

I will do my best to post Wednesday and will try to get a post in Thursday (I will be at a wedding Thursday evening).

I have also joined two challenges on 3FC: the bikini challenge (not that I have any plans to actually wear one :D) and the biggest loser challenge. I am hoping to rejoin the YMCA in January and will look into doing yoga as well.
I am hoping these challenges give me the kick in the butt to step up the weight loss.

How was the wedding? And how are the challenges?

canuckgirl7
12-30-2011, 08:46 PM
The apartment search continues, unfortunately.

The wedding was nice but for Wednesday and Thursday the plan went out the window ( I was on the road for about 7 hours on Wednesday and was at the wedding from 6:00pm until about 1:30 am)

Not so merry. It's more than a bit lonely on this side of the pond. But that's OK. It'll make me more appreciative when I'm not lonely next year.
Sorry to hear that, but its good that next year will be better

Congratulations for taking a deliberate and measured approach to weight loss. This is the true indicator that you're committed to healthful living. You're headed straight to the beach with a beach body. And isn't that worth something?

You will not lose weight every week. Adjust your expectations as to what successful weight loss looks like. The big picture is 4 - 8 pounds per month.

I believe that the less you have to lose the harder it can be, but its still frustrating no matter how much you have to lose

Day 24 Deal with discouragement
I created a response card for this:

When I find myself thinking that I can't keep this up for the net xxx months, I tell myself "forget the long term, focus on today." I know I cna continue to do what I need to do today. If its difficult tomorrow, I'll deal with it tomorrow.

Today wasn't the greatest day. I slept in (tha's what happens when you don't get home unitl 1:30 in the morning!), I did some cleaning and continued the search for somewhere to live.
Credit me for reading my response cards. No mindful eating though.

I don`t feel discouraged but I feel like because its so close to the new year that I should eat what I want and then start fresh January 1. I know that this wouldn`t end well since I could do some serious damage.

I hope you have a happy new year Nelia! Do you have any resolutions you want to share?

Most of mine are the usual:
eat better, exercise more, lose weight
get organized
make healthy eating and exercise a permanaent part of my life

Nelia
12-30-2011, 11:11 PM
DAY 22

Oh Well

But I really, really want (insert something crazy, e.g. Doritos with fake nacho cheese, RL Admiral's everything in the sea fried feast or a super-sized Mrs. Fields cookie sandwich).

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Oh well. You've accepted that those days of unlimited crap are in the past. And look what you have to show for it! A shrinking muffin top, clearer skin, decreasing numbers on the scale and an increased comfort level with your body.

Besides, aren't you finding as much enjoyment in the healthier options as you are in the junk food options? Good tasting food is good tasting food. Doesn't matter if it's battered or sugared.

TODAY

Weight - 126.4
Body Fat - 27.7 points (Ugh! Really?)

1. Planned Eating.
a. Pate and rocket salad. Plus bacon.
b. Dark chocolate.
c. Pork ribs. Duck confit salad.

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Sprints

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Eating.
a. Salmon salad
b. Experimented with a roasted sea bass. Wished I hadn't. It wasn't bad. But it wasn't outstanding either.

2. Planned Exercise.
a. Primal's LHT. Hit the gym. Lower body.
b. Primal's Move Slowly. Hour long walk home. Stopped and smelled the roses along the way. Or rather, looked at the crescent moon.

- - - - - - - -

STATS

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
01-01-2012, 12:49 AM
DAY 23

Counter the Unfairness Mindset

It's not fair that I can't eat normally.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Is "eating normally" what got you to 157 pounds? Let's face it. You've lost sight of what "eating normally" entails. Take advantage of each opportunity to learn, establish and enjoy a new definition of "eating normally." Each opportunity to learn isn't unfair, but a gift.

I shouldn't have to deal with this problem. I remember when I was younger, I could eat whatever I wanted and still remain slender.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

You may or may not have been able to eat whatever you wanted when your were young. But that's not the case today. You've three choices.

1. Don't do a damn thing. Continue to gain weight. And see what the 160s and beyond look like.
2. Never get off the roller coaster. Diet off and on, gain weight off and on, never to reach your ideal and exceptional you.
3. Accept the fact that dieting isn't fair. Move on. Lose weight. Live an exceptional life.

Which do you choose?

TODAY

Weight - 127.4 (Surprising. I thought I did quite well tomorrow. Keeping the big picture in mind!)
Body Fat - 27.0 points

1. Planned Eating.
a. Mushroom and cheese omelet. Side of bacon. (Delicious!)
b. Dark chocolate.
c. Chorizo salad.

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Sprints

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Eating.
a. Mushroom and cheese omelet. Side of bacon. (Delicious!)
b. Dark chocolate with kampot pepper
c. Rocket salad with pate.

2. Planned Exercise.
a. Primal's Sprints. Gym - treadmill.
b. Primal's Move Slowly. Lot and lots of walking. Also did a bit of community dancing in the Royal Gardens.

- - - - - - - -

STATS

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
01-01-2012, 01:39 AM
(Sigh.) A bit frustrated as it seems a good number of my posts don't seem to make prime time. Let's see if I can recreate what I wrote yesterday.

The apartment search continues, unfortunately.

The wedding was nice but for Wednesday and Thursday the plan went out the window ( I was on the road for about 7 hours on Wednesday and was at the wedding from 6:00pm until about 1:30 am)

Well good for you and getting your behind back in here straight away. CREDIT.

Sorry to hear that, but its good that next year will be better

That's the plan, at any rate. Might as well start the year off with optimism.

I believe that the less you have to lose the harder it can be, but its still frustrating no matter how much you have to lose

Maybe, but I'm only 5'3. I've still quite a way to go until optimal health. The "hard" is due to my bingeing tendencies. I'll work on it for Year 2012. The good news is, I'm bringing in the New Year in the 120s. This is a definite improvement from the near 160s.

Day 24 Deal with discouragement
I created a response card for this:

When I find myself thinking that I can't keep this up for the net xxx months, I tell myself "forget the long term, focus on today." I know I cna continue to do what I need to do today. If its difficult tomorrow, I'll deal with it tomorrow.

Today wasn't the greatest day. I slept in (tha's what happens when you don't get home unitl 1:30 in the morning!), I did some cleaning and continued the search for somewhere to live.
Credit me for reading my response cards. No mindful eating though.

I don`t feel discouraged but I feel like because its so close to the new year that I should eat what I want and then start fresh January 1. I know that this wouldn't end well since I could do some serious damage.

(Laughing!) I just went through the exact same ordeal. But I thought to myself, but canuckgirl7 is reading the exact same book that you are, and she will call your *** out! I've fallen off the wagon more than once this holiday season. But I have you to thank for not letting the wagon ride off into the sunset without me. You've been fabulous. It's not a bad thing that we've been able to maintain, while most gain during this precarious time of the year. We're all set to conquer 2012!

I hope you have a happy new year Nelia! Do you have any resolutions you want to share?

Most of mine are the usual:
eat better, exercise more, lose weight
get organized
make healthy eating and exercise a permanaent part of my life

New Year Resolutions are a great idea.

Usually my New Year Resolutions are extensive. But I realized, although I'm always the chick with a plan, nothing in my life has gone according to plan. And that especially goes for the stuff that folks most often find "amazing" about my life. I'm in Cambodia for goodness sake. So I'm taking a different tactic for year 2012.

1. Simplify.
2. Recognize, embrace and relish opportunities.
3. Be purposeful in the moment, whatever the **** that moment ends up being.
4. Contribute.
5. Consume.

And that's it. We'll see how 2012 works out for me.

Happy New Year, canuckgirl7!

Nelia
01-02-2012, 05:12 PM
DAY 24

Deal with Discouragement

This program is overwhelming and the time investment required is too great.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Great change requires great investment. But luckily that investment is upfront. Living healthfully will get easier as time passes. And soon, it'll be effortless.

I can't stand it when the scale doesn't seem to reflect my effort.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

The scale doesn't reflect your effort from the last day or two. It's an indicator of the healthful habits you've developed over a lifetime. It can be discouraging to acknowledge the results that unhealthy habits deliver. But that's in the past. Be motivated by the daily opportunity to change those habits and change that number on the scale!

Strategies to combat discouragement :

1. Read Advantages more often. Add to the Advantages card continuously.
2. Record hours or minutes that I've actually struggled.
3. Focus upon today.

TODAY

Weight - 126.6
Body Fat - 23.0 points

1. Planned Eating.
a. Lamb salad
b. Mushroom and cheese omelet. Side of bacon.
c. Salmon salad (if hungry)

2. Planned Exercise.
a. Primal's Moving Slowly - jog in Royal Gardens
b. Primal's Moving Slowly (kind of) - Spinning class at the gym

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Eating.
a. Lamb salad
b. Burger (no bun) and pork ribs

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's LHT. Gym - upper body

- - - - - - - -

STATS

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
01-02-2012, 05:24 PM
I thought today, I'd take a moment to appreciate where I am as oppose to bemoaning where I "should be".

The truth is, I never thought that I would spend most of the my time in the 120s. When I was closing in on 160, I was praying for anything sub - 140. The first time I hit 129, tears came to my eyes. I just couldn't believe it. And the idea that now 118 is actually within the realm of reality is just plain cool.

So I'm grateful. I appreciate that my weight loss efforts thus far have gotten me out of the danger zone and into the safe zone. That I'm now a loose 4 as opposed to snug 8. And that yes, the abs, on a good day, are peekin'. What's more I'm starting to take for granted seeing one twenty-something on the scale.

Definitely progress.

canuckgirl7 What do you appreciate?

canuckgirl7
01-02-2012, 05:31 PM
New Year Resolutions are a great idea.
1. Simplify.
2. Recognize, embrace and relish opportunities.
3. Be purposeful in the moment, whatever the **** that moment ends up being.
4. Contribute.
5. Consume.

And that's it. We'll see how 2012 works out for me.

I like these resolutions

WHat I think I will also do is instead of trying to do everything at once, I will try things throughout the year. I read that it takes 21 days to form a habit so I will try to do somethings for 21 days and track that. If I don't make it to 21 I can just restart.
Somethings to work on include:
hitting the gym (to do this I will also look into drop in classes to add variety).
Floss (I am a terrible flosser :( )
Track my calories (I am really sporadic with this)
Clean out my bag at the end of everyday

I'm sure I'll think of more

This program is overwhelming and the time investment required is too great.

Great change requires great investment. But luckily that investment is upfront. Living healthfully will get easier as time passes. And soon, it'll be effortless.

The investment will also pay off big time too (new clothes, bikini body etc.)

Are you still planning on meeting up with your mystery man?

Day 25: Identify sabotaging thoughts

Sabotaging thought:
Even if I identify those thoughts (Dieting is too hard, I have no willpower, I really, really want this, I had a bad day, I deserve this) sometimes I still give in

Helpful response: Somtimes you will give in temtation, its not the end of the. Get back on track. Read your ARC and other cards to remind yourself of why you are dieting in the first place.

Today I had a bite of a cucake while standing up and had half a tangerine standing up. The rest was eaten sitting down, credit me.

I have spent today packing to head back to work.

One thing I forgot to mention is I have been engaging in spontaneous exercise. I go up and down four flights of stairs several times a day. Credit me!

Nelia
01-03-2012, 05:29 PM
DAY 25

Identifying Sabotaging Thoughts

I can't keep track of my sabotaging thoughts! It's like I go into an unconscious state before bingeing!

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Eating is not automatic. You'd like to blame your binge response on an "unconscious state" because you're attempting to ignore your healthful inner voice so that your can eat without "restraint." In the future when this happens, actively seek those thoughts that encourage you to quiet your healthful inner voice and that give you permission to make unhealthy choices.

E.g. It's OK to eat this because I am allowed three indulgences per week (neglecting that it was an unplanned indulgence).

It's OK to eat this because I want to feel better and deserve to feel better.

It's OK to eat this because it's the only way I can relax and I deserve to relax.

TODAY

Weight - 127.2
Body Fat - 25.2 points

1. Planned Eating.
a. Lamb salad
b. Pork Ribs
c. Tuna Salad

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's LHT

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Eating.
a. Lamb salad
b. Mushroom and cheese omelet. Side of bacon.
c. Salmon salad

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Moving Slowly - jog in Royal Gardens

- - - - - - - -

STATS

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
01-03-2012, 05:30 PM
More tomorrow. Running late for work!

BillBlueEyes
01-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Just dropping by to wish a Happy New Year to the good guys over here. Hope you have a prosperous one with joyous losses.

canuckgirl7
01-03-2012, 10:14 PM
BillBlueEyes thanks and Happy New Year to you as well! :)

Nelia, there is a lot in my life that I appreciate but don't necessarily think about.
Despite my excess weight (I store a lot of fat in my midsection) I am still pretty healthy. I appreciate the fact that I have the knowledge and support to make healthy and permanent changes in my life.

Today I visited two more apartments and will drop off an application for one tomorrow, I'll keep you posted.

Today I ate sitting down,credit me and did spontaneous exercise (walked up four flights of stairs a few times today).

Nelia
01-04-2012, 04:08 PM
DAY 26

Recognizing Thinking Errors

It's OK to eat this because I am allowed three indulgences per week (neglecting that it was an unplanned indulgence). JUSTIFICATION | EMOTIONAL REASONING

It's OK to eat this because I want to feel better and deserve to feel better. JUSTIFICATION | EMOTIONAL REASONING

It's OK to eat this because it's the only way I can relax and I deserve to relax. JUSTIFICATION | EMOTIONAL REASONING | EXAGGERATED THINKING

I actually can't wait to add to this list. It's hysterical to analyze our most "persuasive" thoughts with Beck's menu of thinking errors.

9 Common Thinking Errors :

1. All or nothing. I'm either following my diet perfectly or I'm bingeing off the charts.
2. Negative fortune telling. Since I gave in and ate the entire super-sized cookie (yet again), I'll never be able to resist eating those damn cookies.
3. Overly positive fortune telling. I'll only eat a small piece of cake. And, I'll make up for it tomorrow.
4. Emotional reasoning. I just feel like I need a plate of nachos right now.
5. Mind reading. My staff will think I'm being uppity if I don't accept their offers of food.
6. Self deluding thinking. I can eat 2 or 3 Clif bars and be alright. It's not the same as eating a candy bar.
7. Unhelpful rules. To get my money's worth, at least 3 trips to the buffet are required.
8. Justification. I deserve to eat this because I'm so stressed out.
9. Exaggerated thinking. I can't stand this craving. I have no willpower.

TODAY

Weight - 125.8
Body Fat - 24.0 points (That's more like it!)

1. Planned Eating.
a. Bacon cheese chicken patty
b. Tuna Salad
c. Omelet with cheese. Side of bacon.

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's move slowly. Jog in the Royal Gardens

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Eating.
a. IF
b. Pork Ribs
c. Chorizo Salad

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's LHT

- - - - - - - -

STATS

Second Short Term Goal - 121.8
End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
01-04-2012, 04:18 PM
I like these resolutions

WHat I think I will also do is instead of trying to do everything at once, I will try things throughout the year. I read that it takes 21 days to form a habit so I will try to do somethings for 21 days and track that. If I don't make it to 21 I can just restart.
Somethings to work on include:
hitting the gym (to do this I will also look into drop in classes to add variety).
Floss (I am a terrible flosser :( )
Track my calories (I am really sporadic with this)
Clean out my bag at the end of everyday

I'm sure I'll think of more

Ooh! I really like this idea! I'd like to do something similar. For 21 days straight, I look for opportunities to simplify. Next 21, I recognize, embrace and relish opportunities. . .

Just to develop the habit of approaching life's challenges with tools that are helpful. I'll begin my first 21 starting this Sunday!

Are you still planning on meeting up with your mystery man?

(Blushing) Actually three. And they're all terribly fit! (Sigh.) Why does it seem the more weight I lose, the more weight I need to lose. Trying my darnedest to stay in the grateful zone!

One thing I forgot to mention is I have been engaging in spontaneous exercise. I go up and down four flights of stairs several times a day. Credit me!

Nice! CREDIT! Four flights of stairs is no joke! That'll take the thunder out of any thighs!

Nelia
01-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Just dropping by to wish a Happy New Year to the good guys over here. Hope you have a prosperous one with joyous losses.

Hear, Hear! Thanks for checking on us BillBlueEyes and I Happy New Year to you, too!

Nelia
01-04-2012, 04:23 PM
thanks and Happy New Year to you as well! :)

Today I visited two more apartments and will drop off an application for one tomorrow, I'll keep you posted.

Any luck?

canuckgirl7
01-06-2012, 09:17 PM
The property manager is checking my references now. Should hear back Monday.

I want to hear more about these THREE guys!

Will post more tomorrow, once again I have had spotty internet access

Nelia
01-06-2012, 11:24 PM
DAY 27

Master the Seven Question Technique

It's OK to eat this because I am allowed three indulgences per week (neglecting that it was an unplanned indulgence). JUSTIFICATION | EMOTIONAL REASONING

It's OK to eat this because I want to feel better and deserve to feel better. JUSTIFICATION | EMOTIONAL REASONING

It's OK to eat this because this is my last indulgence and that means I can overeat. EXAGGERATION | EMOTIONAL REASONING

It's OK to eat this because it's the only way I can relax and I deserve to relax. JUSTIFICATION | EMOTIONAL REASONING | EXAGGERATED THINKING

It's OK to eat this unplanned indulgence to replace a planned indulgence. JUSTIFICATION | EMOTIONAL REASONING | SELF DELUDING THINKING

It's OK to order more than one crepe. It's just isn't a meal without sweet and savory. JUSTIFICATION | EMOTIONAL REASONING | EXAGGERATED | UNHELPFUL RULES

It's OK to eat a scoop of ice cream although I've chosen and eaten pizza as my indulgence. How much harm could it cause? OVERLY POSITIVE FORTUNE TELLING

THINKING

The Seven Questions

1. What kind of thinking error might I be making?
2. What evidence might there be that my thoughts may not be true or completely true?
3. Is there an alternative explanation or another way of viewing this?
4. What is the most realistic outcome of this situation?
5. What is the effect of believing this thought? And what is the effect of changing my thinking?
6. What would I tell a close friend or family member if he or she had this same thought?
7. What should I do now?

Short Statements

This is just a craving. Not a requirement. Don't Eat.
No excuses. No justifications.
Stop exaggerating.
No unplanned indulgences.
You're full. Stop eating.
Is this an abundant mindset?

TODAY

Weight - 125.2
Body Fat - 23.5 points

1. Planned Eating.
a. Cheese and mushroom omelet
b. Dark chocolate and cashews
c. Fresh sausage plate with salad

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Sprinting. Gym - Treadmill

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Eating.
a. IF
b. Fish amok
c. Chicken skewers, pork ribs, salad

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Moving Slow. 90 minute walk to and from the riverfront

- - - - - - - -

STATS

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
01-06-2012, 11:29 PM
The property manager is checking my references now. Should hear back Monday.

I want to hear more about these THREE guys!

Will post more tomorrow, once again I have had spotty internet access

(Laughing!)

This is my first foray into online dating. . .so I'm doing my best to keep it all in perspective. To be honest, I've been surprised by the (virtual) quality of the men. Especially given my age, race and present location.

But I understand that virtual and reality can be wildly different, so perhaps I had better report after meeting these fellas!

Keeping my fingers crossed for the end of your apartment hunting!

canuckgirl7
01-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Dieting is too hard, I have no willpower, I really, really want this, I had a bad day, I deserve this) sometimes I still give in

DAY 26: Recognizing Thinking Errors

Dieting is too hard, I have no willpower = exaggerated thinking

I really, really want this, I had a bad day, I deserve this = emotional thinking and justification

I have to be honest this seems like a lot of thinking :)
I guess it has always been easier to think myself into eating unhealthy foods than to come up with reasons as to why I shouldn't (or to take the time to identify my types of thinking)

This is my first foray into online dating. . .so I'm doing my best to keep it all in perspective. To be honest, I've been surprised by the (virtual) quality of the men. Especially given my age, race and present location.

But I understand that virtual and reality can be wildly different, so perhaps I had better report after meeting these fellas!

Remind me to look into online dating.

This week I am hoping to join the local YMCA and I am now looking for short term rental for the rest of the month (I have been staying with friends and at a hotel)

Today wan't too bad a day. I had a few bites standing up, but no spontaneous exercise.

Nelia
01-08-2012, 01:11 AM
DAY 28

Weight decreases significantly. My reaction? Five pounds in one week? I'll be my ideal weight in less than three weeks!

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Uhmmmm. Enjoy your weight loss, but slow your roll. Remember that sustainable weight loss is measured weight loss. More than likely, you're weekly weight loss will be between 0 and 2 pounds. But it is nice to have a great start isn't it?

Weight barely decreases. My reaction? This **** ain't worth it. I might as well get something good to eat.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Wait a minute. The numbers on the scale are smaller and you're complaining? Is this the same chick that was lamenting every time she stepped on the scale and the corresponding numbers headed in the wrong direction? Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. And given that you've actually earned this horse, all the more reason not to take it for granted. Appreciate each weight loss, no matter how small, as any healthful change in your lifestyle is for the better and a personal triumph!

TODAY

Weight - 124.6
Body Fat - 20.4 points (Whoa!)

1. Planned Eating.
a. Sausage and backed tomatoes
b. Dark chocolate and one coconut truffle
c. Fish amok

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's LHT. Gym - Upperbody

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Eating.
a. Cheese and mushroom omelet with bacon
b. Dark chocolate and one coconut truffle

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Sprinting. Gym - Treadmill
Primal's Moving Slowly. 45 minute walk meandering through Phnom Penh

- - - - - - - -

STATS

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
01-08-2012, 01:20 AM
DAY 26: Recognizing Thinking Errors

Dieting is too hard, I have no willpower = exaggerated thinking

I really, really want this, I had a bad day, I deserve this = emotional thinking and justification

I have to be honest this seems like a lot of thinking :)

Totally agree! But it's been fascinating to finally hear the conversation that's been happening all along. . .without my conscious participation! I think recognizing and directing these "instantaneous" dialogues are my biggest challenges.

Remind me to look into online dating.

(Laughing!) Let's see how the actual dates go first!

This week I am hoping to join the local YMCA and I am now looking for short term rental for the rest of the month (I have been staying with friends and at a hotel)

Today wan't too bad a day. I had a few bites standing up, but no spontaneous exercise.

You're in here, fighting the good fight. And staying focused. CREDIT.

Have the challenges started yet?

I've been doing pretty damn well of recent (knock on wood), but then I'm highly motivated. First dates have a way of providing such. I still need to remind myself to review my cards. Just because the going is easy now, doesn't mean it will be easy later. Develop the habits before they're needed is my new mantra!

Nelia
01-08-2012, 04:57 PM
DAY 29

Resist Food Pushers

My hostess (grandmama, staff, boyfriend) will be upset if I don't eat the food they've purchased or prepared.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

And?

If these folks are in your corner, they'll support you and your desire to achieve your objectives. If they're not in your corner, do you care if they're disappointed? Be polite. Be firm. If they give you a bit of push back, offer a bit of explanation if their intentions are well meaning. Thereafter, keep it simple. No, thank you. With a smile.

TODAY

Weight - 125.8
Body Fat - 23.0 points (Easy come. Easy go.)

1. Planned Eating.
a. Sausage and sautéed spinach
b. Burger patty and pumpkin
c. Pork ribs

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Moving Slowly. Jog in Royal Gardens

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Eating.
a. Sausage and baked tomatoes
b. Dark chocolate, one coconut truffle, one chocolate truffle (probably over did the chocolate, just a tad)
c. Fish amok

2. Planned Exercise.
a. Primal's LHT. Gym - Upper body
b. Primal's Moving Slowly. 60 minute walk meandering through Phnom Penh

- - - - - - - -

STATS

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

canuckgirl7
01-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Have the challenges started yet?

I am actaully now part of three challenges. I know it is too late to join the Biggest loser challenge but here are links to the others:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/249421-12-weeks-take-off-iii-shed-us-2012-sign-up-now.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/248835-bikini-ready-2012-challenge.html

I've been doing pretty damn well of recent (knock on wood), but then I'm highly motivated. First dates have a way of providing such. I still need to remind myself to review my cards. Just because the going is easy now, doesn't mean it will be easy later. Develop the habits before they're needed is my new mantra!

Motivatin is motivation, as long as you are not doing anything that could potentially hurt yourself (i.e crash dieting) go for it. I need to get back to my cards as well and that is a good mantra!

My hostess (grandmama, staff, boyfriend) will be upset if I don't eat the food they've purchased or prepared.
If these folks are in your corner, they'll support you and your desire to achieve your objectives. If they're not in your corner, do you care if they're disappointed? Be polite. Be firm. If they give you a bit of push back, offer a bit of explanation if their intentions are well meaning. Thereafter, keep it simple. No, thank you. With a smile.

Good answer!

I am going to post Day 27 and Day 28 together

Day 27: Master the Seven question technique

This is the response I came up with to combat one sabotaging thought I have no willpower
Response Card: Saying I have no willpower is a type of exaggerated thinking. I do have willpower, I am just not using it at this moment. Cravings can be overcoe, I have learned different techniques to fight them. To lose the weight and keep it off I must tell myself NO CHOICE and focus on something else.

Day 28: get ready to weigh in

I am posting this today because Thursday is the last day I will weigh myself until Sunday morning.
Before I step on the scale tomorrow I will remind myself that the number is not the end all, be all to health. I will have good weigh-ins and bad ones.
Once bad or good weigh in doesn't give me permission to let the plan fall to the side.

Nelia
01-13-2012, 07:47 PM
DAY 30

Gain Control when Eating Out!

I wish I could eat what everyone else is eating.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

But your wish to be a bombshell is stronger! And as such, you won't be able to eat what everyone else is eating. Oh well. Focus on savoring what you can eat and keep it moving!

This is a special event, I deserve to celebrate and eat whatever I want.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

If you're going to lose weight, you deserve to find a means other than food to celebrate. Food is a fuel and a source of enjoyment. It's not a requirement nor a crutch. Take the time to plan before the event how you'll celebrate without the necessity of food. And when the time comes, enjoy the celebration and your healthy lifestyle!

TODAY

Weight - 131.6 (Sigh. I'm officially roller coasting.)
Body Fat - 25.6 points

1. Planned Eating.
a. Mushroom and cheese omelet.
b. Fish amok
c. Salmon salad

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Moving LHT. Lower body at the gym.
Primal's Move Slowly. Walk to and from Poetry reading.

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Eating.
Nonstop bingeing.

2. Planned Exercise.
Nada.

- - - - - - - -

STATS

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
01-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Help! I need intervention! And help from my diet coach.

I haven't been this inconsistent since before I picked up Beck. What the **** is going on? Am I sabotaging myself? Do I believe that sub-120 isn't attainable and my actions are following suit?

Any ideas to get me out of this 125 - 130 rut and off the roller coaster?

canuckgirl7
01-14-2012, 07:34 PM
My internet access has been a little inconsistant again.

DAY 29 Resist Food Pushers

The only real food pusher I have is my mom and she never pushes unhealthy stuff on me. I'll have dinner and not take any vegetables and she'll make me take them.

However if I do encounter any food pushers, I 'll take your advice and smile and say no thanks.

Day 30Gain Control when Eating Out!

Sabotaging thought I wish I could eat what everyone else is eating

I might not be able to eat what everyone is eating but that doens' mean I can't enjoy what I eat. Healthy food chocies don't have to deter from eating out and socialising. Making better choices/eating less will mean I am strengthening my resistance muscle and will be glad with my choice later on.

Sabotaging thoughtIt's my birthday, I should be able to eat what I want

Happy birthday to me! Just because it is my birthday doens't mean that I should undo all my hardwork. I can plan ahead and have a little bit more or even have a samll treat but special occasions don't mean I should go nuts. Focus on the day (or special event) not on how much you want to eat.

canuckgirl7
01-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Help! I need intervention! And help from my diet coach.

I haven't been this inconsistent since before I picked up Beck. What the **** is going on? Am I sabotaging myself? Do I believe that sub-120 isn't attainable and my actions are following suit?

Any ideas to get me out of this 125 - 130 rut and off the roller coaster?

I honestly don't know if you are. Maybe it is like you said and you are afraid sub-120 is attainable, so you are sabotaging yourself. Maybe your body is rebelling at that weight and wants you at a slightly higher weight. Maybe you shouldn't step on the scale so often. I've found in the past once I would weigh daily and once I would lose one or two pounds, I would eat more and gain again. Since I have been in another city, I don't have access to a scale except on weekends and I am finally under 180. Perhaps weigh yourself once a week.

Review your eating plans over teh last few days and see what you ahve been eating. Do you start changing your foods/portion sizes when you hit one of your short term goals?

Break out those response cards!

My eating hasn't been too bad this week. I got some frozen meals and had those for beakfast and lunch (each one was between 290-400 calories) dinenr was a bit higher. I made it to the gym once for a Muay Thai class (the second class was cancelled due to the nasty weather).

Thursday was a bad day: a car spalsed dirty, water on me, I had a bus drive past me at a bus stop, and I had someone withdraw $200 dollars from my bank account :( I admit I eat way more than I should have but honestly stoppign to read my cards was the last thing on my mind. Friday and today I made some better choices.

Nelia
01-16-2012, 05:54 PM
DAY 31

Decide About Alcohol

I can't get in the "zone" at the club without several drinks.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

But you also can't get into the "zone" carting a muffin top around. Besides, you love to dance. Do you really need several drinks to get you into the zone?

But I'm having a really good time with my girlfriends and they want to order one more round.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

How is having a good time and ordering one more round related? It's only related if you're using some form of emotional reasoning. Surely the good times can continue if you opt for fruit juice or tea instead?

TODAY

Weight - 130.6
Body Fat - 26.3 points

1. Planned Eating.
a. Lamb patty with salad
b. Salmon salad
c. Two eggs

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's LHT. Upper body.

- - -

STATS

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
01-16-2012, 05:55 PM
I've food poisoning and am a hot mess at the moment. But I'm trying to do the bare minimum. Will write more when fully recovered.

canuckgirl7
01-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Aww, sorry to hear that :(
Take care of yourself and get well soon

Today I didn't read the book but will do so tomorrow and post. Today I ate sitting down, credit me, took four flights of stairs twice credit me twice. Didn't read my cards no credit, me but will get through them at least once before bed.

Nelia
01-17-2012, 04:40 PM
DAY 32

Prepare for Travel. (Oh sweet heavens, how I need this one.)

What I enjoy most about travel are trying different foods. What's the point if I'm restricted from trying new things?

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Alright, Ms. Exaggeration. Yes, you enjoy trying new foods. But don't you also enjoy walking tours, museums, cycling and a whole host of other activities? And let's not do the All or Nothing approach. Haven't you found new foods in the past that met the Primal standard? And haven't you found that standard to be delightful? Being reasonable and enjoying travel (including unique dining experiences) is not only possible, it's preferred. Put together your diet strategy and review daily before your travel.

But it's a vacation! I deserve to eat whatever I want!

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Wow. That's a great combination of Emotional Reasoning and Justification. What are the consequences of this thinking? A five pound weight gain? A 10 pound weight gain? Once you strengthen your "mediocrity" muscle and weaken your "exceptional" muscle, what's the true cost in the future? Do you really deserve that? Pull your stuff together. Plan your diet strategy now so that you can eat you favorites, while maintaining your weight loss!

TODAY

Weight - 129.2
Body Fat - 23.2 points

1. Planned Eating.
a. Lamb patty with salad
b. Salmon salad
c. Two eggs

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Moving Slowly. Jog in Royal Gardens.
Primal's Sprint. Treadmill at gym

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Eating.
a. Salmon salad
b. Two eggs

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's LHT. Upper body.

- - -

STATS

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
01-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Wow. I feel a lot better after one day of healthy eating and a workout. Hint, hint, Nelia. Hint, hint,

canuckgirl7. How are you doing? Sorry to read about your ****ty day. I'm hoping things got decidedly better thereafter. As in, you're in a shiny new apartment.

Great job eating while sitting down. And love the spontaneous exercise. CREDIT indeed!

I've decided to start my own challenge downstairs, inspired by your 21 day approach. I suspect that I'll be on my own. But when you start something at 3FC, you feel compelled to complete it!

Speaking of which, we're down to our 10 last days!

canuckgirl7
01-17-2012, 08:12 PM
I've decided to start my own challenge downstairs, inspired by your 21 day approach. I suspect that I'll be on my own. But when you start something at 3FC, you feel compelled to complete it!

What are you planning?

Also I was reading your posts and noticed your day 30 and 31 have the same heading!

Day 31 Drinking

This is a non-issue for me since I don't drink!

Again ate sitting down, credit me down twice and up once (I took the elevator this morning).
HAven't read my cards again, this along with mindful eating is still a work in progress. Though I did manage to spread out my lunch for about 25 minutes.
I hit the gym for Muay Thai again today and will go back Thursday.

I move in Feb 1st.

Day 32 Prepare for travel

Alright, Ms. Exaggeration. Yes, you enjoy trying new foods. But don't you also enjoy walking tours, museums, cycling and a whole host of other activities? And let's not do the All or Nothing approach. Haven't you found new foods in the past that met the Primal standard? And haven't you found that standard to be delightful? Being reasonable and enjoying travel (including unique dining experiences) is not only possible, it's preferred. Put together your diet strategy and review daily before your travel

Love your answer but I have to admit that I don't gain weight when I travel, I often lose because I walk around so much. When I spent my summer in Europe I actually ended up at 129 lbs, the lightest I can remember being since puberty. I took time to enjoy the local food (pizza in Italy, Belgian waffles in Belgium etc.) but I was so busy walking around everywhere that I lost eight. Putting together a strategy is a great idea.

I think the biggest challenge for me is eating healthy. The quality is teh problem not the quantity. A healthy eating strategy would def. help in this case.

canuckgirl7
01-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Day 33 Eliminate Emotional Eating

The next time I feel like eating emotionally, I will have a cup of tea and read a book to distract myself.

Today I took the four flights once, credit me, no planned exercise.
I ate sitting down credit me but ate failry quickly again.

Haven't read my cards (hangs head in shame). I will work on that. I think the best thing is to try to read them once when I first get up, but I like to sleep in and then I rush off to work.:)

Nelia
01-18-2012, 06:42 PM
DAY 33

Eliminate Emotional Eating

I can't sleep without putting myself into a sugar coma before bed.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Really? You've never slept without first consuming a ridiculous amount of sugar? It may take a bit of time to adjust, but a good night's sleep and a healthy lifestyle are both attainable. Keep your eyes on the prize.

I deserve to eat when I'm feeling bad.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

You do deserve to feel better. To feel comforted. But you also deserve to be thin. What can you do to achieve both?

But the flight is so long. I just want something to nibble on.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Food is a source of enjoyment, not a solution to boredom. What else can you do to entertain yourself?

But I'm so incredibly depressed and I know food will make me feel better. I don't wanna take the time to figure out an alternative. I know that junk food works!

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Does it? Because you seemed even more depressed when you realized you didn't have any pants that you can comfortably wear. You seemed really uncomfortable when you returned to Cambodia and realized you were twice the size of the locals. It didn't seem to "work" at all when the scale threw back numbers in the 150s. Is eating junk food really helping with your depression? Or are you bringing yourself additional pain? Experiment! Take the time to create a new healthy default that you know "works" and encourages a bikini figure!

TODAY

Weight - 129.4
Body Fat - 25.9 points

1. Planned Eating.
a. Lamb patty with salad
b. Salmon salad
c. Two eggs

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Sprints. Treadmill at gym

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Eating.
a. Lamb patty with grilled lamb salad
b. BBQ ribs, rocket salad

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Moving Slowly. Jog in Royal Gardens

- - -

STATS

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
01-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Running really late this morning, but I'll catch up on the chit chat tomorrow!

Nelia
01-19-2012, 04:03 PM
DAY 34

Solve Problems

I don't want to even think about my problems. I'd rather just escape with a good book and some cookies.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

There's nothing wrong with taking a break until you've regained a bit strength. But escaping isn't solving. And eating junk food as a means to escape is only creating additional problems. What can you do to take a moment for you and maintain a healthy lifestyle?

TODAY

Weight - 128.8
Body Fat - 25.2 points

1. Planned Eating.
a. Salmon salad
b. Two eggs
c. Omelet and bacon

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's LHT. Lower Body.

YESTERDAY

1. Pan fried fish salad.
a. Bacon
b. BBQ ribs

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Sprints. Treadmill at gym.

- - -

STATS

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
01-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Not running late this morning, but I've only one day to make stuff happen before I leave for the States! Yes!

I've a long as **** layover coming soon. I'll catch up on the chit chat side of things then! Hope you're having plenty of CREDIT moments, canuckgirl7!

Nelia
01-20-2012, 07:02 PM
DAY 35

Weigh In

I don't want to weigh myself, I think (or more likely, know) that I've gained weight.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

I may or may not have gained weight. If I have, it's not the end of the world. But I need to face facts today, so that I can regroup and re-strategize today.

What, all this work and I lost a measly pound? This **** ain't worth it!

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

One. Measly. Pound. Excellent. Studies show, the slower the weight loss, the more likely the weight loss will be maintained. Congratulations for taking a deliberate and measured approach to weight loss. This is the true indicator that you're committed to healthful living. Your headed straight to the beach with a beach body. And isn't that worth something?

What, all this work and I've gained weight? Are you serious?

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

1. You will not lose weight every week. Adjust your expectations as to what successful weight loss looks like. The big picture is 4 - 8 pounds per month.

2. If you did gain weight, review your week and especially your food journal. Were you honest about your calories? Did you have any unplanned meals? Have you been eating each meal mindfully?

3. Finally, remember, this week's plateau could be the jump off for the next significant weight loss!

TODAY

Weight - 127.2
Body Fat - 25.1 points

1. Planned Eating.
a. Mushroom and cheese omelet with bacon on the side
b. Lamb kebab salad
c. Salmon salad

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Moving Slowly. Jog in the Royal Gardens

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Eating.
a. Salmon salad
b. Two eggs
c. Bacon cheese chicken patty

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's LHT. Lower Body.

- - -

STATS

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

Nelia
01-21-2012, 05:45 PM
DAY 36

Believe It

I've been down this path before. It's always gumdrops and weight loss in the beginning, but later, I'm back to roller coasters and muffin tops. I'm scared to believe that this might actually be the approach that sticks.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

Be courageous! Claim the healthful you! The you that is mindful, purposeful and possessing a mentality of abundance. This journey is just the beginning. Yet this is a journey that will not end. You've always an opportunity to give yourself credit, check in with your body, and make the healthy choice. The "stick" is within you, not the approach.

How am I different?
1. I've realized how little food is required to be comfortably full.
2. I "check in" with my body throughout my meal.
3. I practice intermittent fasting.
4. I give myself credit.
5. I review 5 respond cards daily.
6. I eat when sitting down.
7. I eat planned meals.
8. I eat reasonable portions of all of my meals (including my indulgences). Especially after a fast.
9. I'm actually savoring what I'm eating.
10. I exercise at least three times per week.
11. I remember that I've abundant opportunities to eat a wide variety of good tasting food.

TODAY

Weight - No weigh in. Stuck in airports.
Body Fat - Same.

1. Planned Eating.
a. Airplane food
b. Lounge food (small plates)

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Moving Slowly. Brisk walk around the airport.

YESTERDAY

1. Planned Eating.
a. Mushroom and cheese omelet with bacon
b. Chicken satay and pork larb
c. Fruit, sips of a really bad red wine, orange juice and water

2. Planned Exercise.
Primal's Moving Slowly. Jog in Royal Gardens.

- - -

STATS

End Date -
Number of Days -

Number of Days - 4 days

canuckgirl7
01-25-2012, 08:39 AM
Will post properly today. I have spent the last few days looking at furniture for the new place after work and was at a friend's birthday party yesterday.

I hope the States are treating you well!

canuckgirl7
01-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Solve Problems

I don't want to even think about my problems. I'd rather just escape with a good book and some cookies.

★ Nelia's RESPONSE

There's nothing wrong with taking a break until you've regained a bit strength. But escaping isn't solving. And eating junk food as a means to escape is only creating additional problems. What can you do to take a moment for you and maintain a healthy lifestyle?

You asked what you could do to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Have you figured out an answer yet?

DAY 34 Solve Problems

Sabotaging thought
Eating is easier than dealing with problems

Helpful response
Yes, but in the long run you will feel worse off: you've eaten more than ou should and your problem still needs solving

If you need time away from your problems, it is better to deal with non-food related distractions and come back to the problem than use food.

Today was not too bad, I did eat a few bites standing up but I did take the stairs, so credit me

No planned exercise this week so far.

How is it being back home in the U.S?

canuckgirl7
01-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Day 35: Get ready to weigh in

Before I step on the scale tomorrow, I will tell myself.... I honestly don't know what I will say. I haven't been sticking to much of the plan. I haven't read the cards in a long time and haven't really been tracking my food.
I guess I can tell myself, if the scale goes up you shouldn't be surprised. Tomorrow is a new day and a new chance to make better chocies

canuckgirl7
01-29-2012, 11:47 AM
I weighed in today at 176 (from 181). I know that was not all fat. This week was my TOM. I had also eaten a lot of salty the week before.
(I started posting this on Saturday)

Today is Sunday and I am back at 178. Which given teh week I had I am not surrised or disappointed.

Day 36 Believe it

Believe it response Card
I'm losing weight because I've learned how. I now know:

I need to plan ahead (though I am sitll working on that)
I need to eat mindfully (again a work in progress)
I can tolerate hunger
I can incorportate spontaneous exercise into my life
I can make better food choices
I can lose weight

Sabotaging thought If I recognize my progress I'll start to loosen up with the plan

Helpful response I shoudl recogize my progress, it takes a lot of work and dedication to stick with a plan. In the past wen I have lost weight I have often dropped my good habits and r-gained, now I know that this does not have to be the case.

How am I different?
1. I've realized how little food is required to be comfortably full.
2. I "check in" with my body throughout my meal.
3. I practice intermittent fasting.
4. I give myself credit.
5. I review 5 respond cards daily.
6. I eat when sitting down.
7. I eat planned meals.
8. I eat reasonable portions of all of my meals (including my indulgences). Especially after a fast.
9. I'm actually savoring what I'm eating.
10. I exercise at least three times per week.
11. I remember that I've abundant opportunities to eat a wide variety of good tasting food.

Good for you Nelia, credit!

canuckgirl7
01-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Day 37 Reduce Stress

When I feel stress, I will take a deep breath, have a cup of tea, read a book and/or go for a walk.

Today was a good day. I took the stairs, credit me, ate sitting down credit. Didn't quite eat mindfully.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I have been walking to and from walk the last few days. The weather here has been pretty mild and it is only a 15 mintue walk. This morning I walked credit but this afternoon I took the bus because I went to check on the apartment I am renting.

BillBlueEyes
02-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Happy February, guys,

Feel free to drop by the monthly thread during any time that this one isn't active. There's always room for more.

canuckgirl7
02-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks BillBlueEyes
With four days left, I am going to finish up this week. I hope Nelia is around to join me.

A proper post will be added tomorrow

canuckgirl7
03-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Day 38 Deal with a plateau

Sabotaging thought
I can't believe I did all this work and the scale hasn't budged!

Helpful response
Just because the scale isn't moving in the direction I want it to, doesn't mean that I shouldn't be proud of my accomplishments. Sticking to the plan (both diet and exercise) is something to celebrate.

Next week if the scale still hasn't moved, I will reassess my eating and exercise.

Yesterday was not the greatest day for me. No exercise, I did eat sittign down (credit me). I was at a conference and food was provided, and I admit I went crazy. Today so far has been a better day. I ate both my meals sitting down and while it didn't take me 20 minutes to eat, I stayed within my calorie allowance goal