Exercise! - November Running!!!!

View Full Version : November Running!!!!

ncuneo
10-31-2011, 04:42 PM
Alright I'm a day early, but here it is another month and the year is almost over - let's finish it strong. Share your running here with all of us from all walks of the running spectrum. 1 mile, 5K, 10K - we don't care RUN!!!!

My goal this month is to try and participate in the thread a bit better. I've been a little off the map, but running all the while. Been running less while nursing a few injuries and gearing up for my next training cycle and now I can't delay anymore. Today marks my first "official" day of training for the LA Marathon in March - and wouldn't you know it - I'm going to miss today's 3 miler LOL! Great way to start off. The story is that I ran a fabulous 7 miler yesterday and then spent 8 hours walking around at Disneyland and waking up at 4 am for a 3 miler was just not happening today. And I won't be able to make it up after work being Halloween and having a 3 year old that has to show the neighborhood his awesome costume. It's the third time I've started this training, I can't remembered why I restarted the first time, but this last time was due to injury.

My injury update is pretty good. Things aren't 100%, but am seeing a lot progress. So I think my strategies of incorporating lots of stretching (in the almost 2 years I've been running I've never stretched), foam rolling, sticking, changing my route to include hills only 2xs a week instead of 4xs, spinning, resting when necessary and pulling a run early if there's pain is working. It's a lot of work, but I think I'm realizing I'm not as young as I used to be and being a long distance runner is more than just running. It's such a learning process. My next thing will be ice baths - burrrrr!

So my next running focus is going to be on fueling strategies and recovery strategies. I need to determine at what point I must eat prior to running (at this point up to 15 miles with no food) and at what point I must include fuel during a run (at this point I'm gooing ever 5 miles for runs 10 miles or more). Additionally, at what point do I need the recovery drinks. There's so much info out there I've finally just learned it's all personal preference. Sure there's science there, but so much of it is conflicting, so I'll just focus on what works for me.

So that it for me today - happy running!

Jingabooty
10-31-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm going to work my way back to running 30-45min x3 a week. I typically run 10 minute miles, even when I'm in great shape, simply because that's what feels good for me! Right now, I'm just re-starting workouts after 3 years of less than wonderful habits. It was a cold morning and I'm not sure where my cold weather running gear is, so I went to the gym. We just got a membership and I'm putting it to good use. I walked 2 minutes, ran 13 minutes at about 6.5mph, then walked another 2 minutes before hitting the weights. I must find my outdoor gear because running on a treadmill is painfully boring to me!

Good luck to all :)

crainjo
11-01-2011, 02:41 PM
I am training for a half marathon in January. I run 3 to 5 miles 3 to 4 times during the week, then get a long run in on the weekends. This weekend I will run 7 miles. I just had my best 5k time this past Saturday, with a 25:30. I have gradually increased my times by 5 minutes and 30 seconds since my first 5k in April. Here's to Cool Runnings in November!

aka8941
11-01-2011, 03:08 PM
c25k Week 7 Day 1 DONE!

chickwithagoal
11-01-2011, 03:30 PM
I have never been much of a runner, but I enjoy it. I have decided to run/walk a 5K with my family on Thanksgiving morning, so I am going to start preparing for that this week.
I have never really paid attention to how far a 5K actually feels to me, so I went on a 5K walk through the neighborhood today to get a feel for it.
It took me 55 minutes, this was only walking, while pushing 23 lbs of toddler in her stroller, in 25-30mph winds, haha.

In the past, I have only run a mile or a mile and a half at a time. So, I am excited to push myself and see how I can progress. I will update here as I go! Thanks for reading.

Emme
11-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Well, I guess I am officially a winter runner because I just bought an Under Armour top for the cold -- and I bought a Spi Belt to keep my phone and ID in! I am currently just running 5k three times a week and that's how I'd like to keep it for now. It's just enough time for me to sweat and clear my head for the day. I'm an early morning runner before breakfast and I truly enjoy it! My DH and I are TTC this month, so we'll see what happens. I know a woman who was running up until her 8th month of pregnancy, so that gives me hope...I'd hate to give this up!

jayohwhy
11-01-2011, 04:55 PM
hi everyone! i completed my first ever 10k on sunday at the time i was aiming for 1:04. it isn't very fast but it was my first race and the longest distance i've ever run is 7 miles, so 6 in an hour isnt bad.

now that its over, i decided to stay in and rest last night for two reasons, the first being that i raced on sunday and the second being that i didnt feel like running around all the trick-or-treaters in my neighborhood. i was worried that i would gain but i strictly adhered to my 1300 calorie limit and i actually saw a loss this morning!

i feel better though, after I run, so its time to get back on the horse and get in a 4mile run today. I paid the dues to join my local running group and will start with them on saturday and am thinking of a december 10k before i my half marathon in the spring..

CherryPie99
11-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Yay to all the runners! I ran 4 miles on my lunch hour today. Here's the funny thing, back at work I was outside stretching afterwards and an acquaintance walked by and said "Hey - I didn't know you are a runner." Immediately I said "I'm not!" and he said "Well, didn't you just run?" "Um...Yes" "How far?" "4 miles." "I think that makes you a runner."

It's funny because even though I am running 10-14 miles per week, I don't think of myself as a "runner". What officially makes someone a runner?

ncuneo
11-01-2011, 07:38 PM
I don't think there's an exact definition to what makes someone a "runner", if you run, you're a "runner" :) For me thought, I think it was more mental. I can't remember when it happened that I actually considered myself a runner and was comfortable labeling myself that way, probably after my first half-marathon. Now I'm gradually transistioning into considering myself a distance runner. Regardless, don't sell yourself short - you are a runner! All of us are, regardless of distance or speed.

Jay - Keep and eye on that 1300 calorie limit. In my personal experience that's too low for a runner to acheive optimal weight loss and performance, especially at the half marathon level. It's hard enough to lose weight while running greater distances, add super low cal to that and it's even tougher.

Strength training and yoga today, but I may throw in a few miles to warm up because I missed my run yesterday and I'm itching to run. I feel like an addict - LOL!

Have a great day everyone!

julesp313
11-02-2011, 11:30 AM
I haven't posted in a while as my running has been very uninspired. DH and I were signed up for a half marathon in early December but due to a couple of injuries on my part and lack of training on his (he's been busy with school) we've opted not to push it. I know I can't do 13 miles right now and it's not worth risking further injury just to prove something to myself. We do, however, have a 12k Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning so I'm still doing that. My longest race (and run!) was a 10k but I think that extra mile won't be too much of an issue. My last long run was 5 miles and while it wasn't stellar, it was manageable so I'm hopeful. My mother is running the 5k companion race and I'm hoping she'll win her age group - especially as right now she's the only one in it! Can't wait for those days - I seem to be in the largest age group at most 5k and 10k races!

devadiva
11-02-2011, 01:57 PM
I did my 1st 5k on Oct 15 with some friends they are part runners and walkers and we go to and exercise class togther so I decided on a fluke to join in. I ran a tiny bit with the dog last summer. They all ran ahead but I managed to run most of it at least the part that was on dirt {which I pefer to run on}.ANYWAYS I am now HOOKED I am signed up for another on Nov 5th and have been running about 4 days a week. The last 3 days I am up to running the whole 3 miles with an elevation gain of about 240 ft.and today did it in 37 min I run on trails on dirt roads mostly.I am 59. I know this is not fast but am proud of my self. I have been in pretty good shape but fell into a depression last year and lost some of my stamina for exersise and gained 20 lbs. I still look good and most people do not consider me overweight or out of shape but....I have backslid so I am really feeling that RUNNING is helping give me the lift I need. THANKS for listening.

jayohwhy
11-02-2011, 02:47 PM
oh dear. i went out for my 4 mile yesterday and my body just wasnt having it. i felt exhausted from having parent conferences this week and after mile 2 my knee started giving out due to my lazy gait. i threw in the towel and walked home to rest.

i exchanged my watch only HRM for one with a chest strap though, hopefully to keep me motivated for my thursday run. i guess i learned that sometimes i need to listen to my body. however, starting thursday it'll be back to business !

ncuneo- thanks for the advice. being at 1300 may be part of my lack of energy. I'm trying to find a balance between eating too much in compensation for exercise and not.

nevaeh1984
11-02-2011, 02:57 PM
I got back into running today :D

I was rather disappointed though!!! I used to run 3 miles a few times a week before the summer and today I only managed 1.5 in 20 minutes!!! I know, it's embarrassing because there are plenty of people who are much heavier and can do much better!

It'll pick up, I'm just (really) out of shape! We can do it :D

ncuneo
11-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Well...big news - I officially registered for the LA Marathon yesterday, no refunds, no turning back, it's real now...ahhhhh!!!

3 miler yesterday, nothing to really talk about there. Spin and strength training today, intervals tomorrow.

Lots of new faces - wecolme! Keep it up everyone!

hdallas78
11-04-2011, 12:11 PM
I've been on and off the thread for a while, but I am hereby committing to being a more committed poster :)

So far, November is not my month. I've been struggling in the healthy eating department and I decided to throw some strenth training into the mix which has left me too sore to hardly get up from my chair at work much less run, LOL! I WILL NOT GIVE UP!! I'm training for my first half marathon in December. My fiance was going to be doing his first full but hasn't had time to train properly so he is going to be doing the half with me. My long runs are up to 9 miles - I do my first 10 miler this Sunday! I am slow - on long runs I average about 12:30-13:30 pace and shorter runs around 11:30, but I have started paying more attention to my heart rate than my pace to gauge my intensity level (I <3 my new Garmin Forerunner!!)

Happy running, ladies!

aka8941
11-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Do you guys find strength training helps your running? It's just so boring and I'm not strong at all at this point, so it feels forced right now.

I was thinking about scheduling a run every other day, and then lifting weights on my off day. How do you make strength training tolerable? Does anyone here actually like it and think I'm nuts?

Thoughts please

Serval87
11-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Was slacking, but am going to get it back together. I've got my stamina up to running a full minute and then walking a full minute. I do this for 12 minutes altogether, running 6 out of 12. Very good for someone who started with running 20 seconds every minute and a half. :D I'm going to try to add another minute of running to this before January. Eventually I want to get it to 10 minutes of running altogether, and then slowly take the in between minutes of walking out. I can't imagine myself ever running 10 minutes without stopping just yet, but I also couldn't imagine myself running a full minute with just a minute of rest between, so who knows?

I'm still doing a 5 minute warm-up walk, and then 14-20 minutes of walking for a cool down. Totaling 30-35 minutes altogether usually. It depends on my energy and how far I am from my house. lol.

ange82much
11-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Do you guys find strength training helps your running? It's just so boring and I'm not strong at all at this point, so it feels forced right now.

I was thinking about scheduling a run every other day, and then lifting weights on my off day. How do you make strength training tolerable? Does anyone here actually like it and think I'm nuts?

Thoughts please

I do 2-3 BodyPump classes a week and they're fun (google it)! Each person has a step-bench and a bar and a selection of weights and you do one muscle group per song in time to the music at the rate the instructor tells you to! If you live in a largish place there's probably something like that near you?

Squat track and lunge track definitely help my running as there's some steep hills around here. Other than that, i'd say it wouldn't assist running very much.

Basically though it helps me at work a lot because i often have to lift things and move them about, and the other thing is it makes you look a lot better as you go in and out in all the right places!!

I agree though, i found it impossible to enjoy doing weights when i used to try them via the machines at the gym. Dull as.

ncuneo
11-04-2011, 10:28 PM
I follow a program - New Rules of Lifting for Women and enjoy the challenge.

Strength training is critical for runners to prevent injuries and balance your body because running is not a full body work out. There's ton of info out there to support it.

I also like what strength training does for my physique.

Intervals today, went well. Rest tomorrow. 8 miles Sunday.

indiblue
11-05-2011, 12:02 AM
Today: 1 hour/5.8 miles. No knee pain. And I love my time- shaved off 1-2 minutes from last week :-D

aka I think lifting is critical when you are running + in a caloric deficit. Gotta protect those muscles as your body burns tissue. Plus, building muscle helps ensure your muscles bear more of the work, not your joints.

I don't have a program, but I do a consistent routine to hit every muscle group 1-2x a week till fatigued. I try to keep my lifts short and sweet- lift as heavy as I can, pushups, bench, shoulder press, lat pull down, squats, lunges. Plus wall squats and jumping squats because our gym doesn't have weights heavy enough for deadlifts!

I also do yoga 2x a week, including 1x a week hard, strength-building yoga that leaves me sore the next day.

caroline519
11-05-2011, 02:56 AM
Hi everyone, I haven't posted much here on 3FC but I sure have done a lot of lurking :P Anyway, I would like to add running back into my weight loss plan this month and continue throughout the winter. I am a high school senior and its currently the last week of volleyball season and then basketball starts! So I need to work my running around my practices, but it should be do-able. I've been on vacation this week and while I haven't been eating the best, I did get 3 30 minute (3 mile) runs in this week and I was planning on going to the gym this morning before we leave but I went down there and the gym doesn't open until 8! So I think I will do some on the elliptical tonight when I get home (I wish we had a treadmill) since it will be too dark to run outside as I'd like.

devadiva
11-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Today is my 5k and its about 25 out it will be my coldest run so far dang the weather!!!Oh well! As for weight training I love it slow and heavy or fast and light. I take an organized class as mentioned twice a week and do DVDs 3 other days. I love the changes it has made in my body and along with my other exercising has been what has allowed me to jump into running.{or my version of it}

devadiva
11-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Just got back from my 5k it was actually colder when we started 24 at 9 am.
I am very proud it was on sand and had hills,finished in 37:20. And low and behold I won THIRD Place overall in the womens division!!!!! HoAH! Next on on 12/10 here I come.

ncuneo
11-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Fantastic 8 miler today, TFL hurting a little bit and I won't have time to use my massage stick til later, so alieve will have to do for now. I did stretch it though. It was just one of those runs that just felt awesome start to finish - love those!

That's the good news, bad news is my "skinny" winter pants from last year a pretty much unwearable...time to drop to cals...trouble I'm hungry at my current cals...man this maintenance thing is tough - oh well!

hdallas78
11-06-2011, 08:21 PM
I did my first 10 miler today! It hurt like heck and I was struggling the last mile and a half, but I did it without stopping or walking. I never dreamed I would do such thing! I did realize how important it will be for me to consistently add in strength training to build my supporting muscles in my legs. My hip flexors and hamstrings were SOOOO fatigued toward the end of my run, and I know the stronger I make those muscles, along with my quads and glutes, the easier it will be for me to go the distance (not to mention how much less stress it will put on my knees).

Ncuneo - how do the massage sticks work? I have seen them around in my running store but am nit sure how to use them or whether they really help that much.

caroline519
11-07-2011, 03:12 AM
Well I am home from vacation and back at it. Got in another 30 minutes, 3 miles yesterday on the treadmill after playing basketball for 2 hours, so it was tough but I did it! I might be running today and I'd certainly like to but I was having a little pain in my right foot yesterday and I don't want to overdo it. It feels fine so far today though so if it continues I'm planning on running! (And another plus, I only gained 0.6 lbs on vacation eating pretty much what I wanted - the magic of exercise I guess :D)

jayohwhy
11-07-2011, 01:05 PM
good morning, runners!

mondays are my long run days so i'm going to go out for 8 miles this evening. i'm both excited and worried that i wont be able to make it. it will be my LDR, two weeks ago i did 7, and then last week i had my 10k so i took a break from my long run and just did my short ones but today is will be back on the horse.

last time i did a long run, i felt fatigued and nauseous afterwards. i think that this time i will try to eat the bulk of my calories before i run and i will also carry some sport beans with me just in case.

i live in a pretty good neighborhood but i'm a little apprehensive about running alone after dark. however, i have no choice since i run an hour after i come home from work and am exhausted right after i come home.

i do have a light that i wear as well as a waist pouch for my phone just in case. i think it will be okay-- it will still be from 6-7pm, not very late, i guess.

aka8941
11-08-2011, 02:19 AM
did 2.5 miles tonight! c25k week 7 done, on to week 8!

aleksandra
11-08-2011, 03:44 AM

Thoughts please
I'm doing a similar programme! I do strenght workouts on monday and wednesday, jogging on tuesday and thursday and sometimes epileptical on friday or saturday.
Way to go, girl ;)

Serval87
11-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Do any of you ever experience pain around the base of your big toe that kind of spreads into that side of the foot? I may have gotten this from my last walk/run and it made this morning's pretty uncomfortable, but I did it anyway. I'm trying to get back in the habit of doing this everyday since I want to lose 5 more pounds before the middle of December.

tdiprincess
11-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Hi there all! I'm a new runner. I'm doing cool running's c25k. I completed w2d1 yesterday. My goal this month is to keep up with the program.

Anyone here run with vibram 5-fingers? I just got a pair. You have to build up with these guys, wondering if anyone has done this.
Later chickies!

jayohwhy
11-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Anyone here run with vibram 5-fingers? I just got a pair. You have to build up with these guys, wondering if anyone has done this.
Later chickies!

i have a pair of vibrams. i bought them after i read "born to run". the important thing is to be very aware of your running form since thats the point of the vibrams-- running will be less painful when coupled with striking fore/mid foot. however, if you run in them and heel-strike, you put yourself at more of a risk for injury.

i'm still in the process of working them into my running schedule. since i am training for a few races, i need to train in shoes that i am most comfortable in...

CherryPie99
11-08-2011, 06:30 PM
I run in Vibrams on the treadmill, but I found that I needed a thicker sole for running outside. I still wanted the minimalist feel, but I didn't want to feel rocks when I stepped on them. So I found Fila Skeletoes, which I LOVE. They are the only thing I run in.

I was lucky because I never ran before and started with minimalist shoes, so there was no need to go through a whole transition period.

ncuneo
11-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Massage sticks are the most wonderful invention ever! I was using my rolling pin before LOL! I like them better than a foam roller because I can reach more places and I can lay comfortably on the couch and massage for longer than I'd roll. It's almost eliminated my TFL and IT Vsnd pain, but I have to make sure I do it regularly.

Awesome 3 miler yesterday, I'm on a roll with good runs, reminds me how much I love running. Just yoga today, not feeling like strength training today. 4 miles tomorrow.

aka8941
11-08-2011, 11:49 PM
ncuneo- you have really pretty teeth. i need to get mine fixed...anyyywaaayy...wtg on your 3 miler. What are you training for? A full marathon?

Week 8 Day 1 DONE! only 5 workouts to go until graduation! yaaay

devadiva
11-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Since I checked in last
Sun:Hiked with DH 4RT miles 600ft gain {we live in Eastern Sierras everthing steep}
Mon: Weights KCM 40 min
Tues: 3 mile run 240ft gain, Weights KCM 40min, Organized weight class 1 hr
Wed: 3 mile run, thinking about some zumba,and dog walk with friend in afternoon
I work the next 2 days and will not have any free play time {exercise time}
on Thur hopefully Fri!!!
Great job everyone keep hitting the road trail or what suits ya!!!!

ange82much
11-09-2011, 05:26 PM
I've not been running for ages really. Well a couple of 5km efforts last week but that's about it. However, i'm about to sign myself up for a 10km trail race on Sunday!! It's going to be tough!
I have been doing other stuff though with a 100km (about 60 mile?) bike race last sunday, 3hr trek up and down hills on monday, back to back gym classes yesterday and another 3hr trek scheduled for tonight. Spot the problem though - no running!!!

tdiprincess
11-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Thank you, Cherrypie and Jayohwhy for the tips and suggestions on the fivefingers. I have had them since Monday of this week. Friday I am planning to take them out on my interval training. I plan to bring my sneakers with me in case I have too much trouble.
Question: On Vibrams' page is suggests running barefoot so as to help force you to lighten your forestroke and also help you gauge yourself more. Did anyone do this? I'm interested in doing it..but I do my interval training on streets, maybe I should do a trail this way?

Otherwise.. I finished w2d2 this afternoon. It went well. Friday will be d3 and then I'll be onto week 3! Time flies when you're having fun! :D

indiblue
11-10-2011, 11:12 PM
10K/1 hour this morning. Mostly before the sun was up- it was really nice

No knee pain :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:!

My yoga instructor says I have tight legs from running so I'm working on doing lots of stretching/yoga afterwards (Unna, I'm catching on to your post-run yoga routine- it's nice!).

ange 10k trail! That must be tough- but fun!

aka8941
11-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Week 8 Day 2 DONE! only 4 more workouts until I graduate to 10k training.

CherryPie99
11-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Question: On Vibrams' page is suggests running barefoot so as to help force you to lighten your forestroke and also help you gauge yourself more. Did anyone do this? I'm interested in doing it..but I do my interval training on streets, maybe I should do a trail this way?

So have you done your run yet with the Vibrams? I'm not sure why they would suggest running barefoot, because other then a tiny bit of protection, for me anyway, the movement of the foot in the Vibrams is the exact same as barefoot.... I have run completely barefoot on the beach and noticed no difference then running in the Vibrams.

ange82much
11-11-2011, 06:28 PM
ange 10k trail! That must be tough- but fun!

This race is tomorrow, and i'm feeling a bit worried about it, sort of.

At the moment i've just dragged myself out of bed and feel like i couldn't run a step. I feel like i never did any exercise in my life and i was born to just sit on the sofa and drink cups of tea. What if it's true??!!! What if everyone else is really fast and i come way way last? And my friend who's meeting me at the end to cheer me in never speaks to me again because i'm embarrassing?!?!?

Well, you get the gist anyway - i'm not super confident about putting up a decent show for this one, but i'm sure it'll be fun (just so long as i'm not keeping the marshalls hanging around too long checking their watches, waiting for me!).

tdiprincess
11-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Cherry: I haven't yet simply because most of the websites recommend training barefoot a bit first. The reason being is that your skin will tell you when you've gone too far and you can put shoes on. Whereas if you just start out with the vibrams then you're still creating a layer between your skin and the ground. I think it'd be just fine to start in the vibrams, but I kinda wanna run barefoot too. However, it is recommended that you DO NOT run completely barefoot in the winter due to your feet going numb..and then you won't feel pain if you should be.
My plan right now is to walk everywhere with them right now and to wait until the spring to do a combo train of barefoot and vibrams.
The best website I've found so far is: The Running Barefoot Website (http://therunningbarefoot.com/begin-here/)
It's pretty interesting and has some great recommendations.

Today I completed w2d3 of c25k. Monday will be onto week 3!! YAY!!

wickedlady
11-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Just thought I'd pop in here... I lost my running mojo for a while but it's back! :) I have been maintaining just general running fitness by running 1-3 times per week, about 3 miles each go, for the past month or so. I just wasn't enjoying it. I did a lot of power yoga though, which definitely has kept me in great shape. I think it was good to take a break because now I am back to enjoying running again. So important!! Since I don't want to burn out again, I am not jumping right into a training plan. I am signed up for a half marathon in May, and I am toying with the idea of another one in April... but I am going to take this month to just kinda ease my way back into more regular running and a little more variety in length.

aka8941
11-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Week 8 Day 3 sometime this weekend. Probably Sunday night. I'm at work today, and I'm just so tired.

Now a personal question.
Has anyone else had their period go MIA when they started running/losing weight? (I'm not preggers) just fyi. but yeah, I guess I just skipped one? This happened last time I started running too. Any thoughts?

indiblue
11-13-2011, 06:32 AM
Has anyone else had their period go MIA when they started running/losing weight? (I'm not preggers) just fyi. but yeah, I guess I just skipped one? This happened last time I started running too. Any thoughts?

My understanding is that a lost period is a result from rapid changes in diet (specifically, a rapid drop in calories) or exercise. Specifically, it stems from a rapid change in the energy available to the body OR in situations where body fat drops too low.

While some believe the C25K program progresses a bit quickly in terms of potentially risking joint injury, it's a very reasonably-paced program in terms of moving slowly from walking to jogging and gradually increasing time.

Are you doing really intensive training on top of C25K? Are you eating proper calories for your height/weight/activity level?

It could be worth seeing a doctor if you've started missing periods. Good luck!

Thinsole
11-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Just finished the C25K program and ran my first 5K race yesterday. Looking for a thread to continue with past 5K.

I finished my race run in 36:54 so I suppose my first order of business is to get used to the distance a bit and try to shave some time off. My November running goal is to run a least 2x a week and 3.1 miles each go.

Unna
11-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Post yoga running is great! And I actually got the idea from a silly interview with Jennifer Aniston - she said it was her fave combination. I have to say I agree.

I've been reading the thread, but have been incredibly busy. Due to a busy schedule, my running is limited to Thur - Sunday. 4 days are better than nothing. I would prefer it if they were split up, but I'm feeling okay. This week my partner and I ran 19 miles total. One long run, and the rest short.

It is getting cold here and that actually helps my endurance runs.

aka8941: I've never had my period stop. Everyone is different. Let us know what you find out!

But, while talking about TOM and running, I can generally eliminate all my terrible cramping if I can pull together enough energy to start running when the cramps start. It works better than any aleve.

indiblue
11-15-2011, 12:47 AM
Thinsole Congrats on your 5k!!! Please do join us over here for your post-C25K life :D

Unna 19 miles is terrific. Way to get in all that running. I was running 3x a week and kept incurring pain in my knee and ankle. I've had to roll it back to twice a wek- one short (3 miles) and one long (well, long for me, 6 miles). Not as much running as I'd like but I think it's what my body prefers.

Do you mix up your running? Such as intervals, distance, speed, etc? Or do you run generally the same pace and distance each time? I have no real desire to mix things up myself, just to do my usual run, but I recognize that the alternative is generally recommended. What do you do?

Also, that's awesome that your boyfriend runs with you. My fiance is the type of guy who can drop everything and run a 10K if someone paid him, but hates running. I've gotten him to run with me once in the past year! He'd much rather be on the basketball court :)

ncuneo how is your marathon training going??

aka8941
11-15-2011, 01:10 AM
it's not missing...more like delayed. anyyywaaay...doesn't matter. Once I'm at a normal BMI the whole situation should work itself out. Ran Week 8 day 3...ready to start week 9.

devadiva
11-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Hiked both days over the weekend lots elevation gain. Shopping on Monday{its a marathon trip 11 1/2 hrsRT with shopping to big town }.
Today I ran 5.1 miles for the first time took exactly 1 hr. I am pleased no stopping. Considering I just startted running {jogging} on Oct.22. I am PLEASED!!!!

ncuneo
11-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Hey guys! Marathon training is going great Indi, thanks for asking. It doesn't feel much like traing yet because my milage is still under 20 mpw, but that's gonma change soon. I did a great 9 Sunday and an easy 3 yesterday, yoga tonight and 5 tomorrow.

I'm under a huge deadline at work so I haven't had much time to keep up or participate in the thread, but you all are doing fabulous! Keep it up!!!!

Unna
11-17-2011, 04:48 AM
indiblue: I think it is excellent to scale back if you keep feeling pain. When this happens to me, I usually scale back. I also buy a new, alternative pair of shoes.

It irks me when people feel that they have to be running fanatics, even when it hurts. We all talk about moderation in our diet and such, but we never talk about how healthy moderate running is. I don't really understand why we don't.

We have no fixed plan, really. We like to get in one longer run (1-1:20), which is obviously not fast or speed focused, and then do 3 shorter runs (45min) where we do try to pick up the pace a bit. He loves trying out different trails.

My boyfriend actually got me into running almost 3 years ago. He was much lighter, more experienced, and faster than I was. He does it to relieve stress. Now, I'm happy to say that we are in similar physical conditions - I no longer have to fight to keep up. In fact, he fights in the beginning to keep up with me, and I fight at the end to keep up with him. He is super slow at the beginning and I start slowing down at the end, when he becomes faster.

Sometimes it is good to have a running buddy, but I also enjoy running alone and listening to music. He likes to talk the entire time while he is running - I, on the other hand, don't! I find I simply don't have as much air as he does. That could be because of my childhood asthma. We also only talk to each other in German. It is hard enough to talk in your own language while running, imagine pulling it together for another language!

Is your boyfriend Indian? Or is he working there? I've always dreamed of going to India. I would LOVE to live there for a few months.

aka8941
11-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Week 9 day 1 attempted. But I blew it and wanted to go waaay too fast. It was so fun though, just breezing through and feeling FIT and light. But that only lasted 20 minutes when I needed 30. Trying again tonight, and slowing way down to pace myself.

CherryPie99
11-17-2011, 05:44 PM
4 miles today in 39:15. Pretty good from where I started 6 months ago!

Running is still such a mental thing for me. I wanted to stop at 3. Then I asked myself why I wanted to stop - breathing was good, legs felt fine - but I wanted to stop any way! I was glad I pushed through.

Today was the coldest day I have run - so I was decked out in a runners jacket, gloves and leggings. I got pretty warm by 2 miles in. I guess it will be a trial and error as far as what I need to have on...

Unna
11-18-2011, 02:51 AM
Dressing for the cold weather is hard. I have often put too much on. I've also worn too little, thinking I would warm up but never did! That was also a bit painful.

The best garment I have for the cold is my long-sleeve running shirt. The sleeves fold over into warm mittens. You can easily fold them back once your hands get warm.

Thursday evening we did a popular city route. There are SO many joggers here, it is ridiculous! I felt like I was jogging in a marathon of sorts. Jogging in the city has a competitive feeling, everyone doing their best to run faster than the next.

Some joggers are really experienced and light, they just breeze by, you hardly notice them. The others are not so experienced. You can hear their stomping, gasping for air, and then you pass them 10 minutes later, as they were so hard on themselves, they couldn't keep it up longer than 15 minutes or so. I just cringe listening to everytime they stomp the pavement - feeling empathy for their joints!

It helped me, after jogging for awhile, to think of it more as dancing (I had a lot of dance lessons as a child). I try to hit the ground as elegantly and graceful as possible, focusing on the strength in my upper thighs and how my arm movement helps gracefully pull me forward.

Anyone else experiment with ways to bring about a more "graceful" jogging, to prevent injury?

SmooVeshea
11-18-2011, 03:47 AM
I recently started to run everyday on a treadmill at the gym for 20 minutes and i absolutely love it. I was apprehensive about running on treadmills because I was slightly scared that I would misstep, fall and humiliate myself. But, one day I just said to myself that I was going to face this fear and I did! I'm glad I made the decision to start running because I like it way more than I thought I would.

SmooVeshea
11-18-2011, 03:48 AM
next step -----> marathon!

Tekakwitha
11-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Hey everyone!

I've restarted my calorie counting and have begun hitting the gym. I'm training to pass the police departments fitness test which includes a 1.5 mile run in a little over 16 mins. Before I started reading this thread it seemed really daunting, but seeing how well everyone is doing, it doesn't seem that hard after all.

I'm currently just running on the treadmill, but was wondering if anyone had any advice for transitioning to road running. The fitness test won't be done on a treadmill so I need to learn how to pace myself without machine making consistently go the same speed.

I'm currently running 12 minute miles on the treadmill. I'm also seeking advice on how to increase my running speed.

indiblue
11-18-2011, 10:34 PM
10 km at 6 AM this morning. My 10K is next Saturday, which is good, because that's about all my knees seem to be willing to put up with for a while.

I really am not built for running. Will be definitely taking a 3+ month hiatus after this race.

aka great job on the fast run- nothing wrong with going a shorter distance and bumping your speed a bit! Good luck with your next go-around

CherryPie That is a GREAT time!

Unna It sounds like you have great form. I know there is a lot of debate about the importance (or lack thereof) of form, but I definitely think moving more fluidly helps prevent energy, keep up stamina, and psychologically feel more at ease/in control during the run.

Smoo welcome!

Tekakwitha welcome to you too! Great job on your training. If you are starting out on a treadmill, I would set the incline at 1. That is supposed to simulate "road conditions" a bit- in terms of wind resistance and the fact that the road doesn't move while the belt does.

For increased speed, try to run shorter distances and/or intervals at faster speeds. Your body should learn how to run different lengths of times and different paces. If you are looking at training for longer distances it would be worth finding a good running plan but for just 1.5 miles I would imagine you can just do a bit of speedwork on your own.

tdiprincess
11-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Hi there guys! Looks like everyone has been getting some great runs in! :D

I have a question: This weekend I hung a whole bunch of drywall..and now my thigh muscles are pretty sore from doing a TON of squats. Today is supposed to be w4d1 of c25k, would you recommend me doing it or holding off until my muscles aren't sore? My mind wants to go for the jog, but my legs are sore. LOL. I'm kinda thinking that I'll go for the jog and if I can't do it, then I'll walk the rest of the way and then redo it on Wednesday?

devadiva
11-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Hiked again over the weekend.. and last 2 days have done my 5k runs.Fresh snow in the Mts very beautiful!Cool crisp air to run in.Also keeping up with my weight workouts.

CherryPie99
11-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Ug - I think I peaked early! I'm running a 5K Thanksgiving morning and wanted to have a good time. So today I wanted to do a slow 3 mile run and then won't do any running or leg work tomorrow.

Of course, just my luck, this had to be the best run I've ever had. I felt strong and powerful and like I could go forever. I consciously slowed down at 1.5 miles because I was going a little fast. At 3 miles I wanted to keep running because it felt so good - but I stopped and looked at my watch - 29:27 - that's my fastest 3 mile time ever by over 30 seconds.

You know what that means? Thursday's run is going to SUCK!!

indiblue
11-22-2011, 10:34 PM
td I don't know the "right" answer to your question. I usually don't run if my quads are sore. I would just do what feels best to you. If it's just a dull gnawing kind of soreness it may be fine. But if you think you'll be miserable through your run, don't do it. There's no reason to push yourself through pain!

Cherry why will your Tgiving run be terrible? It sounds like you are getting consistently stronger and faster, so the run yesterday wasn't a fluke. If you go into the run thinking it will suck it surely will, but I really bet you'll have a great time :)

PS Every time I look at your ticker I'm so amazed- you have accomplished something amazing!!

devadiva
11-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Cherry :Your going to have a GREAT run and CONGRADS on your great time!
I guess my daily run is actually 3.4 miles and not right at a 5k. One of the other runners in the area corrected me. Today was a great run I actually felt like a runner and not just a jogger. I was really in the zone everything perfect and ran my best time.

CherryPie99
11-24-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm back from the Turkey Trot! Time was terrible as this was a horribly organized race. All these dumb walkers lined up in the front and it was impossible to get by - made worse since I was running with my dog! It took me at least 3/4 a mile to get away from the pack.

BUT, it's was a great way to start the day, now I feel like I accomplished some exercise and I will eat without guilt for the rest of the day.

ncuneo
11-26-2011, 06:04 PM
I have been trying to get to this thread to check in forever it seems like, but I've been crazy busy at work, and the holidays and my keyboard keeps freaking out on me, so I'm going to give it a try again today.

Looks like everyone is doing great! I've been just plugging along with my training, but actually just abandoned my old program, which had me runnig 4xs a week for a new one in which I'll only be running 3xs a week. I think this is going to help me continue to heal some of my injuries and really give a lot more purpose to the other runs. So I'll have 1 easy run, 1 tempo or hill run and 1 long run. I've replace the 4th run which was an easy run with a second spin class, so I'll be continuing to get some good indurance. I'm really pleased with this decision and think in the long run it's giving me a much more balance program.

So the new program is 16 weeks and starts Monday. I ran a 5 mile easy run Thursday and did a 5 mile Tempo run yesterday and will be doing 8 or 9 miles tomorrow to kind of get a feel for the new system. With holidays there's going to have to be some tweaking to the schedule here and there to fit everything in, but that's the fun of it for me.

With the speed work I've been doing I've really been seeing some improvement in my speed so I'm excited to see what happens when I get to those 18 and 20 mile long runs. I really want to run my marathon in under 5 hours, but I don't want to stress too much about that as it's my first.

I'm at 909 miles for the year, so I'm closing in on my 1000 mile goal and should reach it with miles to spare, barring injury or sickness.

So keep it up everyone, not sure I'll be around much for the next few days, but I'll be sure to get December's thread up right on time - let's finish the year strong!

indiblue
11-27-2011, 04:05 AM
Did my 10K Race this morning! The weather was amazing, which was the best part of the run. My running partner was running faster than me today so I didn't have a buddy to keep my pace up... I kind of wish I had really tried to keep up with her!

I really just wanted to come in under 60 minutes and I'm not sure if it happened. I know my time was less than 63 minutes, just not sure if I made it under that sub-hour mark. I forgot to start my watch and the chip times are not posted yet. Worse, the walkers were started 55 minutes after us, which meant there was a HUGE mass of people standing in front of our finish line. I literally was standing there for a good 30 seconds before i pushed my way through. It added at least 2-3 minutes to my time, possibly enough to push me over my "goal." Grumble!

ncuneo congrats on a great job with training! I found 4x (even for my shorter distances) too much... I get sick of running that many times a week.

Cherry way to go on completing your Turkey Trot! Our race was poorly organized too... it had me literally at a standstill about 500 m from the finish line. So frustrating!

natamars
11-27-2011, 09:14 AM
I had hardly done any running since my 10K in September, but with the extra time off I got in 3 runs last week, 3-3.6 miles each. The weather has been GORGEOUS here on Long Island this week! I also signed up with my son for a 5K next Saturday. It will be freezing, but we get hot chocolate and bagels afterward!

indiblue, CONGRATS on the 10K! My dream is to be able to do one in an hour - let us know when they post your time.

ncuneo, fantastic work! You should definitely be seeing an improvement in your speed.

Cherry, congrats on the 5K. What a great way to start your Thanksgiving.

deva, you
re running further than you thought - how great! You do that every day?

aka8941
11-27-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm going back to week 6 of C25K, cuz IDK I think I've lost my endurance a bit. Feeling a little lost.

indiblue
11-27-2011, 12:21 PM
aka Unless you took a several-week break from running I bet you haven't lost your endurance. (Even then, you aren't likely to lose much.) I was worried about losing my endurance due to a knee injury a few months ago and a few more experienced runners here gave me similar advice. Sometimes bad runs happen, if that's what you feel like you have had recently. Even folks who run miles and miles have days where they call it quits after 3. I think we on this thread have referred to them as "craptastic" runs :)

I think running is hugely mental, so likely it's a mental, rather than physical, block. Just enjoy your runs, don't try to add mileage or up the speed. Do a few at the level you're on now and see where you are in a few days. I bet you'll hop over the hurdle :)

Emme
11-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi everyone! I ran my first 5k this weekend and I was disappointed in my time, but I'm blaming the way the race was organized and I don't feel bad for putting the blame elsewhere, hahaha! I usually run 5k in 30-32 minutes depending on the day (I run it 3x a week), and I clocked in at 35 minutes on Saturday. The race was an up-and-back meaning you go halfway and turn around, but the trail could only fit 2 people on each side of the divided line, so you couldn't pass anyone until other people had run by you ~ and there were half marathoners running, too, so they had already started a half hour before the 5kers and they were already running on the "back" side of the trail. Quite frustrating. It was such a fun experience, though!! I really enjoyed running with everyone else and people watching.

aka8941
11-28-2011, 01:26 PM
indiblue..seriously, thank you for a solid piece of advice.

See that's been my problem, the speed. I'm so bored having to go at a slow pace just so I can finish. These slow runs are killing me. But when I go fast I can't finish. I want to do the program as it is written.

I'll just keep going on to 10k training, and work it out mentally. Maybe I need a fresh playlist, and I'll force myself to slow it down.

indiblue
11-29-2011, 02:44 AM
aka that's awesome, I'm glad you're back on track where you want to be. Good luck with your bridge to 10k!

indiblue
11-29-2011, 09:04 AM
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

They just posted the times for the 10K I ran. 62 minutes. Which includes the 2-3 minutes I had to STAND IN LINE behind the "fun run" to cross the finish line.

I guess I'll just have to run another one.

But first... one month running hiatus. I made a promise to my right knee.

aka8941
11-29-2011, 02:03 PM
b210k week 1 day 1 officially tonight. dun dun duunnn :)

devadiva
11-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Glad to see everyone did well on their Holiday runs seems we are never happy with ourselves. As for me not any runs got alot of walking in did not overeat at least for what norm has become. But Monday it was back to my reg run wore my GPS it is 3 1/2 miles. Seems like first day out is always a bit slower and I bought new shoes and was re adjusting tieing them. Had a great eating day have decided its time to get this STUFFING I have put on off. So really cut back....{maybe too much I DO KNOW BETTER!} I ran this morning shoes perfect felt great first 1/2 and then it was like I hit a wall I have never had SUCH a hard time I walked a good deal of it I felt really discouraged. I have decided I need to eat first.The other thing is I am going through some emotional stuff and was kinda drained maybe that was itBUMMED Tommarro will be better :}

devadiva
11-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Today was much better had oatmeal awhile before I ran help I think also quit trying to improve time and just make sure I ran the whole time today MUCH better time was still good.

indiblue
11-30-2011, 10:57 PM
So I told myself I wasn't going to run for one month, but my fiance and his friends are driving out of the city to this huge complex to play basketball on Sunday and I CANNOT miss that chance to run out there!!! I've been dying to go for a long run out in the fields around it- there's just nothing like it in the city and I'm so tired of all the routes I usually take here. It's an hour away so we rarely get a chance to go out there.

So excited.... maybe I'll bump my distance/time a bit... which is the exact opposite I said I would do! Oops.

deva sorry about your wall :( Remember to ease into your shoes- that was a mistake I made earlier this year. Maybe it's for the best you only ran 1/2 mile in them- I think slowly adding mileage to new shoes is the recommended way of breaking them in.

aka So I'm curious about the 10k program you are doing. Are there advantages of doing a program versus just adding 5 minutes to your long run each week? I've never done a running program but have always been curious about that! Congrats on finishing your first run of the program :)