Old 10-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Default Looking for advice

Ok, you wonderful chicks, I need some help here! I lost 170 pounds and never counted calories. I focused on better foods and portion control. And obviously it worked.

Then, as I started to get closer to a more normal weight, my weight loss slowed. It hasn't (so far) really plateaued, but it became more unpredictable, and slower. So about a month ago I decided to start measuring and counting calories. So, I have been doing that for the last few weeks. And I have lost weight. I lost 9 pounds in the last month.

Here is my question. Yesterday I carefully added up what I have been doing for calories. I am eating an average of 1300 calories per day. Some days I was surprised to see it was 1100 and some days as high as 1400. So far today (for breakfast and lunch) I have eaten 390 calories.

In addition, I exercise twice per day. Yesterday my exercise consisted of a 4 mile run at lunch. Then when I got home, I walked the dogs 3 miles. Then I did 40 minutes of ab/core work. So far today, I've done level 1 of the 30 Day Shred plus 20 minutes of Zumba. In a few minutes I'll be going to our workout room and doing 45 minutes of weight lifting (arms and back) on the Bowflex.

I am wondering if I am getting enough calories. I feel okay, a little hungry and a little tired, but not too bad. I am worried about sustaining this - I'd rather lose slow but in a healthy way - but I am short, and 39 years old, so maybe I need less calories - I don't know! Should I pre-emptively up my calories or if it ain't broke don't fix it?
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #2  

All I can share is my personal trainer told me to eat 1400 to 1500. I was eating 1200. I am still in my 200s but have lost 86 pounds so far. She also recommended i split my calories into 5 meals a day. That way you lose fat not muscle.

Anyway, since i upped my calories i have gotten off a plateau. However, i think plataus are inevitable and to get off them you have to change things up a little so your body doesnt get complacent.

I think you are doing a great job. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by PearlNorth; 10-26-2011 at 06:10 PM.
PearlNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #3  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

i agree about eating a little more. for me, when i'm eating more, my digestion is more regular which means that i'm not carrying around old food. i feel more comfortable when my body is "regular"-- sorry about the possible overshare.

also, my exercise/energy level is higher when i'm eating around 1300 on non-exercise days and 1600 on days where i'm burning an extra 600-800 calories with exercise. it's worked for me... i also take a multivitamin daily which has made me feel normal..
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote