Carb Counters - Primal/Paleo in Oct/Nov

View Full Version : Primal/Paleo in Oct/Nov

geoblewis
10-24-2011, 09:56 PM
I've not been at 3FC for many weeks, but now I'm back and fully working the Whole30 plan. Okay, so it's only day 1, but I get points for enthusiasm!

Didn't see the Primal/Paleo group for this month so I thought I'd start it, even if I'm the only one here. It's so late into the month that I thought I'd include November as well.

So, day 1 on 100% Whole30 plan...doing great, but I'm bumping into the witching hours for me, which run from 3 pm to bedtime. Did just fine all day, staying out of the kitchen, but now I'm feeling the appetite stirring. And this is when I am most likely to eat something off plan while I'm making dinner.

I have some almonds I can nibble on while I put dinner together. Not sure what to do after dinner. Hoping I won't have any cravings for something sweet. But just in case, I have some Good Earth spice tea. It's hot, comforting and sweet from the cinnamon.

geoblewis
10-25-2011, 02:57 AM
Actually didn't get that hungry after dinner and I came in under budget on calories...but if I don't get to bed soon, I'm liable to make up the difference!

Still, very surprising at how not hungry I was all day. Don't know if that's because of strict adherance to the Paleo or because I didn't have to deal with my #1 stressor in my life, my mother. (I broke up with her yesterday!)

geoblewis
10-25-2011, 07:18 PM
It's just after 3 and I already ate all my calories for the day! Not that I was so hungry. But I just didn't realize that bacon and spinach salad at Trader Joe's was worth 880 calories! When I looked on the label, I only checked the ingredients for soy (I have a sensitivity). I sat in the parking lot, between errands, and ate my lunch. So just now I got home and tracked what I ate. Good Lord!

I guess I'm only going to have water for dinner?

geoblewis
10-27-2011, 03:37 AM
I did much better today. I am really enjoying the Paleo Diet. I do not experience cravings when I eat like this! It feels very strange. I'm so accustomed to standing in the kitchen and wondering what carby thing I want to put some butter on. Haven't felt like that in over a week. Even talking about carbs and butter isn't holding any fascination for me.

I thought I was going to be craving cheese a lot more than I am.

I am feeling very, very good. In the morning I am very alert and ready for the day. Loads of energy. I am exercising regularly. I don't feel like I'm ageing now.

Hoping to keep making progress at cutting calories, maybe get back to intermittent fasting. This week I have cut calories to under 2000, but next I plan to cut to 1800 calories. Then 1600.

Candi44
10-30-2011, 02:13 PM
I love your determination. I don't know anything about the Paleo plan but I will check here everyday to be a point of motivation for you. I am watching carbs eating natural carbs cutting processed foods increasing protein and water intake. Hope today is just as good for your as the last few have been.

geoblewis
10-30-2011, 04:30 PM
Thank you, Candi! I am touched by your compassion and I greatly appreciate the vote of confidence.

The Paleo plan I'm currently on is simple and it goes like this:

I can eat - lean, wild-caught or grass-fed meat, organic non-starchy vegetables and fruit, nuts and seed, plus healthy fats from Paleo sources such as avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, rendered animal fats from approved sources, and minimally processed foods that adhere to the plan (like I can't go out and hunt for duck to make my own duck fat, but I can get good quality stuff at a local market or online).

I should avoid - grains, legumes, dairy, processed-foods, added sugar and salt.

What I am avoiding for personal health factors:

Anything with soy (I'm very sensitive to it), eating out (because I can't control the addition of soy), starcy vegetables (I'm a type 2 diabetic and have PCOS which makes me very carb-sensitive and insulin resistant).

I am also working the Intermittent Fasting method, with a six-hour eating window in the afternoon and early evening.

And this week, I am finding success! I had gotten down to 298 several months ago, then went through some serious stressful setbacks and ate my way through them, well off the aforementioned plan. My weight went back up to 310. That made me angry enough to cut some toxic people out of my life and work on the stressors. And as of this morning, I was back down to 299. :carrot::carrot::carrot:

So for me, what works is the Paleo plan + losing the stress + daily exercise + cutting calories. Anything less helps me to feel better, but I just don't lose the weight. Gotta do it all!

tommienc
10-31-2011, 04:35 AM
Hi,

My Trainer is putting me on a paleo plan since I'm on meds for hypothyroid,eating super super healthy and exercising like a beast but barely losing weight now.

It looks like you started to feel totally normal again by day 3, were you pretty dead those first 2 days or pretty normal?

Thanks

Mango30
10-31-2011, 04:49 AM
Hello, going primal here. I was around the 3fc boards a lot over the summer and then life really took a toll on me. I'm getting back to being me again and right before I left off I was seriously researching primal and paleo. Along with going primal I've decided to completely axe wheat from my life. I just read Wheat Belly and thought I'd at least give it a try for a month and see how I feel. It can't hurt me that's for darn sure.

My day 1 was today.

geoblewis
10-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Tommienc, I was feeling really crappy before a lot of my effort to clean up the diet and lose weight, so I don't really have a specific place of reference, but since sticking to 100% Paleo as laid out by the Whole30 plan, which is about two weeks, I gradually started to feel better and better. I'd say within the first week of going completely off soy, dairy, sugar, grains and legumes, I was feeling the positive effects.

As for the weight loss, really, for me, the sweet spot seems to be eating Paleo, exercising at least 45 minutes of cardio a day, and cutting calories. And the cutting calories makes the most impact. The foods I choose to eat and the exercise are about feeling good, healthy, strong, alert and energetic. But cutting calories is the only thing that will help me to lose weight.

I had to find my sweet spot with the caloric intake too. I calculated my BMR for my current weight, about 2050 calories, and try to cut 500 calories from that. On days when I am particularly hungry, I make sure to never eat above my current BMR. And for me, I have a small protein breakfast, then skip eating until the early afternoon, then have a couple good meals with lots of vegetables (at least 6 servings total) and lean proteins, and I quit eating by 7 pm. This is intermittent fasting. My metabolism hasn't slowed at all from eating like this (how could it possibly get slower?!) and I feel free to have a more substantial meal when it means most to me, following my body's natural hunger patterns. (I just don't get hungry in the morning, but I eat one hard-cooked egg to get my motor running.)

Eating Paleo-style, for me, helps me with the cravings and appetite. I'm not experiencing as much inflammation of my joints so I'm moving around more freely. Since making my changes, I've no longer got water retention issues. I am awake and alert every morning.

It took me a long time to get here, like a couple years, just to find what works for me. Very recently, I have crossed over to menopause, so I'm sure new challenges will present.

Mango, happy to have you here too. I wish you success with the wheat challenge. I'm pretty much off wheat, but I haven't read that book and I'm curious what it has to say. I have a strong sensitivity to soy and couldn't believe how many things have that in them. And my friend who has Celiac's Disease tells me the same thing is true for wheat. I come from a long line of bread eaters! This one was very hard for me. If I keep it out of the house, I'm good. If I don't go out, I'm good. I can avoid buying it at the store. But it's baking weather now! Gonna have to try some baking with coconut and almond flour instead, I guess.

Tejas
10-31-2011, 12:17 PM
I'd like to join this group for this month. I bought Mark Sisson's book and plan to give this approach a good try.

I know that I feel better when I eat lower carb, and not in ketosis.

I exercise, lift heavy (especially for an old lady, as my trainer and I joke) and live a busy life. But, the weight is stubborn. I don't care so much about the scales but there is too much fat on my body for certain.

So, we'll see how I do.

midwife
10-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Hey all,
I'm here too. Intrigued by the Whole 30.

Sskar
10-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Howdy all. Haven't been around since surgery for breast cancer this past summer. I have continued on my "primal-ish" approach, meaning no grains, starch or added sugars (veggies and berries, you bet!), but I do allow dairy to help boost protein needs. I also watch calories because I know that I can overwhelm my body's ability to get rid of fat by consuming too many calories. Plus, there is enough evidence for me that limiting caloric intake is good for one's body and soul (maybe mind...)

Anyway, good to be back among like-minded folks.

Candi44
10-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Good Evening all today was a total pig out feast at work and yes I did indulge. I planned on it. However I ate less than I anticipated. I am back OP starting tomorrow. I ask going to a Bears game on 11/20 and I would love to be below 300. I know I should be able to get under 300 by then. I am concerned because I have no Turkish and the Dr is having a hard time finding the dose that is right for me. So I am cutting all white and watching the carbs down to the nothing. I will post as I go. Goodnight and Peace be with you.

Tejas
11-01-2011, 01:36 PM
OK, today is the first day of really starting this approach.

I have my chicken breasts cooked, veggies and fruit available, etc.

I did well by not eating any Halloween treats last night. I had a glass of red wine, but didn't even drink it all.

geoblewis
11-02-2011, 02:06 AM
Yay, more Paleo-peeps!

I totally regret my Taco Bell run this evening. I was doing so well! It was a purely emotional decision. Have decided that I have the power to create my road to health and no one, especially not my toxic family members, get to take that from me!

Tejas, I love to lift heavy too! Feels good! I'm joining a body-building competition in January for the motivation (I already know I won't win...not even close to placing either!) and I'm excited to get to buy a bigger set of weights!

Sskar, my wish for you is a complete recovery! I'm with you on limiting the caloric intake. But I'm still getting used to not stuffing myself at dinner. Such a strong urge to keep eating until full. This is a real challenge for me.

Mango, what is the difference between primal and paleo? I've not read up on that one.

Candi, that's where I am, again. On the cusp of 300. One day I'm below, the next back up. I finally stopped weighing everyday. Friday I'm going to my cousin's birthday at a nightclub in SF. I'm nervous about it. I don't want to drink alcohol because it only leads me to regretful food choices! I can dance and party sober. I think.

Midwife, do you know about Robb Wolf (http://robbwolf.com/)? I just discovered him last week and today I noticed he's got free podcasts on itunes.

See you all soon again. Let's talk turkey. I need to figure out how to do a Paleo/vegan/traditionalist Thankgiving menu. Such culinary diversity in my crowd this year!

patchymama
11-03-2011, 03:54 AM
*waves* I did the whole30 for all of September and it was hard but rewarding. And then I blew it and screwed up for the last month :-/ I should get back to it. I feel better without grains.

deetermined2
11-05-2011, 05:24 PM
My take on the difference between Primal and Paleo is that Primal allows some dairy, whereas Paleo doesn't.

theCandEs
11-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Howdy! I'm not doing the Whole 30, but I am trying to get back on track after the carbfest that is Halloween and my son's birthday party last night. I think I'm gonna run out to the store and stock up on good stuff for us to eat.

Tejas
11-07-2011, 12:37 PM
I started paleo(ish) eating on Friday and have lost two pounds.

That meant that I ate NONE of two chocolate cakes I prepared for a party. :woohoo:

geoblewis
11-07-2011, 12:50 PM
:carrot:Tejas!!! Well done! Power over the chocolate cakes!

I am happy to report a 3.5 lb loss for the week! I was annoyed that it wasn't more, since I sort of weigh everyday and I gained a little over yesterday, but when I looked at my stats for the week (I tend to forget to do that), woo hoo!

Having a simple Paleo breakfast of pastured eggs and Applegate Farms uncured Canadian bacon. Then off to Pilates to build some more muscles with it!

patchymama
11-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Curious has anyone tried this site at all? http://www.paleoplan.com/

geoblewis
11-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Tiffany, thanks for sharing that link. It's a new one to me. I think it would be a great resource for anyone struggling with meal planning on the Paleo plan. I really loved their huge recipe list!

TransformingMyself
11-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Hi everyone :)

I will be joining all of you soon. Looking to start Primal, just ordered Mark Sisson's books. Right now, I have been eating pretty close, with the exception of beans and whole grains. So the transistion will be quite easy for me, just eliminate the beans and whole grains.

I hope everyone is doing well.

BerkshireGrl
11-08-2011, 10:50 PM
TransformingMyself, congratulations on losing 50 pounds! :bravo:

Tejas
11-10-2011, 09:54 AM
I had power over chocolate cake, but bread is a real temptation. Do you know Ezekial bread..sprouted grains, not processed. I eat it and hope it is a healthy cheat anyway.

geoblewis
11-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Tejas, I have a single grain cheat too. It's the Julian Bakery Smart Carb bread. It's also higher in protein and really high fiber. I also like their Amazing Sourdough, which is lower in calories and fiber, but still a good deal. One or two slices a day, keeps the Starbuck's chocolate chip cookie away!

Been making bone soups this week. Yum! Big pot of bones covered with water in the stockpot, add about 1T lemon juice per pound of bones and let it stew for hours. If we're avoiding dairy, this is a great way to get our calcium. And I'm losing weight and getting cold all the time now! So the hot soup helps.

Tejas
11-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Bone soups. Do you use the broth as a base for other ingredients, or eat the soup as it is, like broth? Or both...?

geoblewis
11-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Tejas, I like to drink hot broth during the winter, but I make regular soups and stews with it as well as use it when I braise greens or winter squash.

In the summer, I've been known to drink chilled broth with lemon or lime when I wanted a little something to cut the edge off hunger. I've been thinking about using the bone broth to make aspics. People used to make those all the time before the 70s. It's a savory gelatin mold and meats, eggs and vegetables can be suspended in them.

Tejas
11-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks. Yes, I know about aspics. I don't really like them, but I do like broth. It's just the aspic texture I don't care for. I don't like Jello that much either :shrug:

I lost 5 pounds last week with this diet change and increased conditioning.

AnaBee
11-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Hi everyone!

I've been sort of following primal/paleo guidelines for a while. Just recently read Mark Sisson's book and I'm committing to this now as I feel so much better. I read The Paleo Diet January before last and gave that a try - ended up finding out that I'm non-celiac gluten intolerant. Cutting out all gluten 100% made me feel amazing! However, it doesn't help with the weight loss since I can still eat potatoes with butter :-)

geoblewis, you said that you have to do all four things to lose weight. I agree. I also have PCOS and I'm insulin resistant. While I've had no problem transitioning my eating to the primal guidelines - I've been off gluten for 18 months already, rice gives me crazy insulin spikes, corn makes me sick and I couldn't be bothered with any of the other grains gluten free people experiment with - I'm not losing weight and I actually think I've put on a little bit since I started eating higher fat without cutting portions. So I'm going to enjoy the way I'm eating but keep a closer eye on my calories and I'm going to experiment a bit more with my carbs. I know 50g a day makes me feel like death, 100g is too much for me. So, experimenting! I'm loving not eating any processed food though (well, vinegar, olive oil, I guess are technically processed even if only one ingredient). I feel like it's freed me from a lot of worry. Also, if I could re-design the supermarket it would be so much smaller! It really is true that all the real food is on the perimeter :-)

Oh, I'm experimenting with no dairy too, though I'm still eating butter since I have lots at home. The only thing I miss is lactose free milk, it's so sweet tasting. And that's why it's been ditched (don't care enough for cheese to miss it, I'd already given up most dairy since I'm lactose intolerant).

I've been eating hummus up to this morning when I used up the last of it. I know it's not primal or paleo, but the little 60g tub with my 2 hard boiled eggs has been my perfect breakfast for awhile now. I'll see how I go for a few weeks.

I'm looking forward to losing weight again. I have always been the type who could gain weight by looking at food, but I could never, ever lose following 'recommended' guidelines. I know now that's the IR. Over the past year I dropped about 20 pounds watching carbs and portions, though I've gained back a few of those recently and I wasn't consistent with my approach (once I start eating starches, I want to eat EVERYTHING). My highest weight was 206 in mid 2009, when I was diagnosed with PCOS, I'm currently around 179, maybe 177. I've done about 2-3 weeks eating primally and I know now I'm not going to see any of the amazing effortless weight loss others see (understandable really, it hasn't been a huge change for me) so now it's time to start putting some more effort in :-)

Tejas
12-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Is anyone going to continue this into December??

geoblewis
12-06-2011, 02:39 PM
I'll start a new one, Tejas. But instead of making it a monthly thing (so we don't have to keep changing the thread name), I'll make it more general, like "Committed to Paleo/Primal".

I have to stick to this way of eating. If I go off, bad things happen to my a$$!