South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #1  
Just wanna lose!

S/C/G: 177/177/150

Height: 5'2

Default What salad dressing do you use?

So I didn't research dressing that well before doing my phase one shopping....I don't have salads daily normally but know that I don't like fat free ranch or catalina so I stayed away from those. I ended up with I think the Bolthouse Farms vinagrette which I noticed this morning has 5 grams of sugar for 2 tbsp.....is this going to wreck phase 1 for me? Thanks!!!
pear_fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/182/150

Height: 5'8"

Hello! I imagine you can return that dressing if you still have the receipt.

I use Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar, tastes great and has no sugar added.
BritMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #3  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

I usually use full fat dressings that have less than 2g sugar/serving.
I like
Kens Light creamy Cesar
Kraft Olive oil vinaigrette
Hidden Valley Ranch powder mixed with 1/2 ff milk & 1/2 ff greek yogurt
Balsamic vinegar & olive oil
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #4  

Hello, I eat Annie's Naturals Organic Goddess Dressing. Some people are pretty uncomfortable with the fat content and I wish it wasn't a canola oil base.

I am OK with the fat and calories in it - but it is a common complaint and it depends on the parameters of your diet. It is a good satisfying dressing. Just be aware. I also measure how much I use and I tend to use about 1/2 a serving. I also use a bit of hummus with this salad dressing (again, watch serving size on hummus).
HikingChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #5  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

I actually wish more dressings had a canola oil base rather than a soybean oil base. It sounds good, I may try it.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #6  

I agree, the whole canola oil versus other oils sometimes is a little overwhelming. I have a friend doing the anti-inflammatory thing so canola is off the menu. It has made me more aware of canola, but as you can see - not worried enough to cut it.
HikingChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #7  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

I Goddess dressing (I use Trader Joe's, which I think is the same). I also usually only use 1 Tablespoon instead of 2. The flavor is intense (in a goooood way!).

Here is a post about replicating the recipe - then you could make it with whatever oil you like . I think I will try this as well! The post is funny; the author tried 9 times to replicate the recipe with the same ingredients - canola oil, water, tahini, cider vinegar, soy sauce, lemon juice, salt, garlic, sesame seeds, parsley, chives +/- xanthan gum*. There are lots more suggestions in the comments as well.

To the OP - the SBD guidelines are 3 g sugar/2Tablespoon serving, so don't use the one you bought. I don't use a lot of prepared dressings, but in addition to the Goddess dressing, I have an Annie's Buttermilk dressing that looks good and I used to use a delicious Caesar dressing before I started making it from scratch ... just check labels for sugar and MSG (I couldn't find a single Ranch dressing in a recent trip - mainstream grocery store - that didn't have MSG added. Boo).

* Random factoid of the day, from Wikipedia: "Xanthan gum derives its name from the strain of bacteria used during the fermentation process, Xanthomonas campestris. X. campestris is the same bacterium responsible for causing black rot to form on broccoli, cauliflower and other leafy vegetables. The bacteria form a slimy substance which acts as a natural stabilizer or thickener." MMMMMMMM, sounds good
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #8  

I use Newmans LF Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette. Probably not Phase 1 friendly, but I hate salad and needed SOMETHING to help me swallow it down. I just used a little bit and figured whatever raspberry in the dressing wouldn't matter too much. Which it didn't considering I felt I still lost a good amount of weight phase 1!
boriqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #9  
Just wanna lose!

Ughh I was afraid of that about my dressing and of course had it on todays salad so will make sure to tuck it away now and find something else! I don't like the goddess dressings they taste too "green" to me LMAO!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #10  

I love Green Goddess dressing - here is the receipe I use from Barefoot Contessa http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html You can sub out some if not all the mayo with greek yougurt. The flavor is so intense that you dont even miss the fat from the mayo!
anilom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #11  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Add me to the Annie's Goddess fan club. I don't think I've ever had Green Goddess dressing. Is it mayo based? I usually don't like those so probably never tried it.

My favorite salad dressings are some of the Newman's Light dressings, olive oil and Italian vinegar, hummus ether straight or mixed with plain greek yogurt, and salsa with or without yogurt.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #12  
Just wanna lose!

thanks again I ended up grabbing the Kens Light Caesar one!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #13  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

how about making your own.

I love olive oil lemon dressing. can't give you proportions because I make a pint of it at a time and usually just taste it to see if it needs more of anything - olive oil, lemon juice, crushed garlic, dijon mustard, salt and pepper, look it up on the internet and you probably can get the right proportions.
take care
Sophie
sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #14  
I think I can...

All I've been eating is blue cheese. I like it, so I'm not complaining for now.
Lot's of good suggestion here though I'm going to try. I'm really missing french dressing though.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote