Old 10-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Question success on PP w/20lbs or less to lose?

I am looking for success stories for peple who are on the shorter side and have 20lbs or less to lose. I am 5'3" and currently weigh 142lbs. My goal weight is 125. I was able to go fcrom 160 to 120 5 years ago following the old Momentum plan. Going off plan, having a baby, etc has brought hf the weight back on. I really want to get back to my goal and be able to wear my clothes again! In January I went back to WW and purchased all of the new Points Plus materials. At the time I was about 160lbs. I tried he new plan for a few weeks and didn't see any results. It felt like I was eating too much with 29points and free fruit. I gave up and got into a rut. This summer I did 2 weeks of South Beach and lost 10lbs. A couple of weeks ago I dug out my old Momentum materials and have been using the old points system. I have been able to take off 5 more pounds and a now at 142.
I am used to the Momentum Plan and have had success with it in the past. However I would the the support of forums like these and the ability to use etools, go to meetings, etc. I guess I am afraid of PP not working for me. I have done a lot of web surfing in various forums and it seems as if some people in my situation have had trouble losing, in some cases even gaining, with the new plan. If you've had a different experience I'd love to hear about it! As I said I. Already have the calculator, books, cookbook, etc for PP. I am just afraid of jumping in. I guess I find it hard to see how I can have the same amount of points as someone who is more than 50lbs heavier and still lose.
rachele75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 183.3/183.3/150

Height: 5'7

I've had the same worries. I have about 15-18 pounds I want to lose (i'm 5'7, currently 167 lb) and I just joined weight watchers for the first time using the points plus plan. Initially it seemed to me like the food allowance was too high, but in this first week of doing it the thing I've noticed is that it has encouraged me to gravitate towards healthier foods. If you're worried, you could try to limit your fruit intake (i.e. don't eat a ton of starchy high calorie fruits like bananas), and try to eat vegetables more. I can't really speak to the plan's efficacy just yet, but other people on these boards seem to have had great success with the new plan, and I know a few people personally who have as well. It's worth trying and you can always tweak the plan so that it works better for you by trying not to break into your weekly points and watching the fruit. I'm sure other people here can give you better suggestions.
vdh2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #3  

How do you think anyone gets to goal if it doesn't work for the last 20?
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #4  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

A woman I did WW with subscribed to lose about 20 pounds and successfully done it
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the input everyone! I realize that people meet goal, so must obviously lost the last 20lbs. I guess my question is also geared towards people who have a smaller amount to lose AND are shorter/smaller framed.
I just used my calculator and figured out my PP for everything that I ate today (and am planning on eating for dinner). At the end of the day I will have used all of my 20 Momentum points and 1 of my weeklies. When I figured out PointsPlus I have only used 24, so that would still leave me with an additional 5 points. And that's not counting the grapes I had today which used one of my points. I guess this is why I feel like I end up eating too much on PP. I don't know what to do?
rachele75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #6  
Less of a Better Me

Personally I think that the 29 points is too high for people who are shorter and are closer to goal. I am lifetime member and my goal weight is 145. I find that now that I am within 20 pounds of when I don't have to pay for meetings (147) that it is hard to lose. I have always been a slow loser. I was averaging about 3/4 of a pound a week. Now it is averaging closer to just under 1/2 a pound.

I am really expecting them to lower the minimum points from 29 to 26 or something when the new program comes out in December. For me I'm not that affected by the zero point fruit since I'm more a veggie eater than a fruit eater. But for those who eat fruit I think that closer to goal you have to be very careful. My husband is within 10 pounds of goal weight (he is tall though) and is finding losing very slow going and has had to cut back on fruit quite a bit.

I personally count my calories on livestrong and aim to eat between about 1100 and 1200 most days (except a couple of days when I go out to eat and usually use about 20 of my WP). I actually focus more on the calories than I do on whether I'm below or above 29 PP.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #7  

I'm kind of in between at 5'3" but I lose fine on 29 points + weeklies and some APs, too. I do exercise.

You may be calculating points incorrectly. List a days typical menu and let us see if we can help you. It could also be you are eating too many fruits and vegetables. They do have calories and the program is based on a total of 5 servings a day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 161/147/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Although I'm of medium height I've never thought about anyone else's points through this process. I've focused on my own progress and am quite happy with it. I love eating a lot of food while still losing weight. Although the progress has taken me a little longer than I hoped, mostly b/c I've never joined that gym I thought I would, I have not felt deprived of anything.

A friend of mine has had great success with South Beach and my mom has been successful with Dukan, but I don't think those two are sustainable for me in the long term. I love my carbs too much.

It took me two years of moaning and complaining about my weight before getting into a meeting. Now I think about all that wasted time.
kidjng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 192/134/127

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachele75 View Post
I am looking for success stories for peple who are on the shorter side and have 20lbs or less to lose. I am 5'3" and currently weigh 142lbs. My goal weight is 125. .
I am at exactly the same same spot in my journey. I'm 5'3" and 142, I set my goal at 127, but would prefer 125. Want to buddy up?
moviegrl1737 is offline   Reply With Quote