Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 10-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/184/155

Height: 5ft8in

Default Greatings from Germany!

Hi, I am originally from Texas, and moved to Germany with my DH 3 years ago to follow his dream job. I left a 50 hour a week, standing on my feet all day job where it was easy to maintain 155lbs with little effort, to become a house wife, and soon found my self 30lbs over weight. I have struggled these past 3 years to loose the weight, and only manage to loose around 10lbs, just to soon gain them back.
Gutterfayrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hey there! --Lived in Weisbaden two years myself...Arrgh..easy to gain weight in Germany--the bread, the butter, the cheese, and on and on..and I forgot to mention the WINE....you can do this and we are here for you! Bavaria is beautiful--any walking trails near to you?

p.s. Texan here too~

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 10-19-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

Hey - I'm also living in Germany right now! It will be nice to have a buddy!

What sort of weight loss plan do you have?
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #4  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Welcome to the forum!!!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #5  
Lok'tar Ogar!

S/C/G: 248.6/ticker/170

Height: 5'9

Willkommen! Ich studiere Deutsch!!

Good luck on your weight loss! We are rootin' for you!
Soft Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #6  

In Germany, too =) Not too far from Heidelberg. Lucky in that I never really got to grips with German bread though, after nigh on five years, can just about enjoy kartoffelbrot! Ice cream was my downfall here ... it is now totally banned from my fridge
Sinoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 184/184/155

Height: 5ft8in

wow! Thank you for all the greatings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Hey there! --Lived in Weisbaden two years myself...Arrgh..easy to gain weight in Germany--the bread, the butter, the cheese, and on and on..and I forgot to mention the WINE....you can do this and we are here for you! Bavaria is beautiful--any walking trails near to you?

p.s. Texan here too~
Its easy enough for me to stay away from the bread....with the exception of laugenbrezen... my down fall...and buter,and the wine I live in the Nürnberg area (actually in Fürth) and in the heart of the Franken wine country. I'm about a block from the city park with a great walking trail/bike path into Nürnberg that I don't use as often as I should

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unna View Post
Hey - I'm also living in Germany right now! It will be nice to have a buddy!

What sort of weight loss plan do you have?
I try to stay away from carbs, but its not easy when my husband is a carb fiend *sigh* I don't have a car so I walk/ride my bike everywhere, and I try to jog a few times a week and I just took up Billy's Bootcamp (tae bo) last week and I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMom View Post
Welcome to the forum!!!
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Speaker View Post
Willkommen! Ich studiere Deutsch!!

Good luck on your weight loss! We are rootin' for you!
Thank you! Ich studiere auch Deutsch, aber nicht zu viel als ich sollte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinoia View Post
In Germany, too =) Not too far from Heidelberg. Lucky in that I never really got to grips with German bread though, after nigh on five years, can just about enjoy kartoffelbrot! Ice cream was my downfall here ... it is now totally banned from my fridge
oh ice cream! There is an Italian Eis shop in the shopping center a block from my apartment that I walk by every day... not so easy to avoid in the summer when its hot and there is no AC here...
Gutterfayrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #8  
MariaGrazia

S/C/G: 163/149/125

Height: 5.4

a quick hello from a "neighbour"! and being italian i know what is like to taste a home made icecream... or "gelato artigianale", as we call it here...!!!
magraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:50 AM   #9  

I feel bad for saying this - but I don't like the italian ice cream! My boyfriend loves going, but its simply too sweet and melty for me. I am much more of a Haagen Daaz fan.

The backeries don't bother me too much - they did at first though! The whole grain options are super healthy and filling - definitely a staple in my diet. But I don't do low carb, I just eat a normal amount of carbs according to what fits into my daily calorie allowance.

I'm really not a fan of the German later afternoon coffee and piece of cake hour. That 500 calorie slice will never fit into my calorie budget and they get so offensive if you say no and just drink coffee.

And learning German was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do (and am, of course continuing to learn). But, speaking German "like the others" has really made living here much more enjoyable. Of course many Germans speak at least a basic level of English, but you really get to know their personalities and humor by learning - so it is worth the extra effort.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:34 AM   #10  

Quote:
learning German was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do
I am finding it hard, too. I do a little every day but still cannot converse. Give me another couple of years. My partner is fluent, which makes me lazy. Around here there are mostly people who do not, or will not, speak English so most of my conversation takes place on the internet.
Sinoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:25 AM   #11  
MariaGrazia

S/C/G: 163/149/125

Height: 5.4

unna, i feel so envious you dont like italian ice cream...!!! i love ice cream to the point that a few years ago i bought an ice cream machine so that i can make it myself...
and as to the language... i studied german for about 10 years (high school and university) so i think i know what learners are going through... shame on me i havent kept on practising it, so it has almost gone now!
ciao ciao
magraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:53 AM   #12  

One difference from learning English vs German is that with German you have to really be fully immersed to learn it well enough even to hold a simple conversation with any sort of grace. German is not an economical language - it has tons of minute details that English no longer has.

English, for example, dropped the articles and many verb tenses over the course of time. So, having a simple English conversation is actually easier than having a simple German conversation.

Anyway, beyond a 6 month very-intensive language program, I met my boyfriend who doesn't really enjoy conversating in English. So, then, after 2 years, I'm fluent (but not perfect).

I've actually never met a foreigner that speaks perfect German, and I spend my days at the University! That is somewhat alienating, but oh well!

I would suggest watching tons of TV and taking active notes while watching - 3-4 hours a day.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #13  
Super Squish

S/C/G: 290/254/170

Height: 5'

Ooooh Tae Bo. I love it. I look forward to the day that I can do an entire DVD in one workout.
Welcome to 3FC. I'm new too and pretyt much love it. I've already recommended to to a bunch of people.
Princess Squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 265/235/130

Height: 5'2"

hello from Munich! So glad to find other US expats living here that are using this forum. I have been in Germany over 8 years now having recently made the move to this beautiful city. I'm originally from Los Angeles. The language will always be hard-my German isn't perfect but I manage just fine for now. Planning on going back to Uni soon so will need to perfect it as much as possible if I don't want to land flat on my face.
Of course I also brought my weight loss issues with me but working very hard now to make it right. Good luck on your weight loss everyone..!
Karig89 is offline   Reply With Quote