General chatter - NaNoWriMo Support 2011

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo Support 2011

gardenerjoy
10-18-2011, 06:24 PM
NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month, is November. The challenge is to write a 50,000 word novel in a month. Details on the NaNoWriMo website (http://nanowrimo.org).

This will be my fourth year of participation. It's a lot of fun and a great way to challenge yourself to do something a bit out of the ordinary.

Unfortunately, there's a bit of a snacking culture surrounding the whole affair, so I prefer to get my support from my 3FC peeps where we pointedly avoid unplanned snacking and still find a way to write 50,000 words in 30 days. We show the world that great feats can be accomplished without treats.

So, who's in this year?

cbmare
10-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Good luck!

sontaikle
10-18-2011, 06:54 PM
I'm in! I participated a few years ago and managed to get 50k words done :) I'm planning out my novel in preparation for the 1st.

I can't wait to start!

kaplods
10-18-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm trying to wrap up the novel I started last year, so that I can work on the sequel for NaNoWriMo

cbmare
10-19-2011, 06:40 PM
How do they know if you aren't working on one now and sending in parts of it?

sontaikle
10-19-2011, 06:51 PM
They don't? Although I guess one could find out by tinkering with the metadata of a word doc, but even that can be changed around.

cbmare
10-19-2011, 07:03 PM
They don't? Although I guess one could find out by tinkering with the metadata of a word doc, but even that can be changed around.

I'm not sure what that is but couldn't you just change the date on your computer and resave the file? Also, you could retype it into new file and save it.

sontaikle
10-19-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm not sure what that is but couldn't you just change the date on your computer and resave the file? Also, you could retype it into new file and save it.

Metadata generally let's you know what program created the file, when it was created, etc. The ways you described are ways to get around it :)

kaplods
10-19-2011, 10:12 PM
How do they know if you aren't working on one now and sending in parts of it?

They make it very clear on the website that the challenge is entirely based on the honor system.

You could copy someone else's novel or even 50,000 random words into their word counters and it would still "register" you as a winner.

But there aren't any tangible prizes, just "bragging rights" so if you cheat, you only cheat yourself.

cbmare
10-20-2011, 12:56 AM
Kaplods, I totally understand. I was just wondering if someone ever did that and how they would do it. Please tell me about your novel.

gloo
10-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Good luck, you guys! I've completed NaNo in the past, and it was so much fun. Been looking to do it again, but between full time work and school and the gym, there's just NO WAY this year. :(

I'll be cheering you on though!

ICUwishing
10-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Going for it as a first-timer! :D

djs06
10-20-2011, 01:58 PM
I so want to do this! Every year I say I'm going to and then I don't. It'll be nice to work toward something, I think! Now to come up with something to write about in the next week or two....

Good luck everyone!

kaplods
10-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Kaplods, I totally understand. I was just wondering if someone ever did that and how they would do it. Please tell me about your novel.

I'm sure people have. In fact, even "diaries" and random musings are considered fair game (the definition of "novel" is left pretty open-ended. It can be a diary, a true story, a memoire... just about anything counts). The main "rule" is supposed to be "new material" so in the spirit of the event, I shouldn't use any part of the novel I started last November. I believe that a new 50,000 words would count if they didn't include any of 25,000 words I have already written (so my understanding is that I could decide to use my novel-in-progress, but I would have to get the word count to 75,000 words in order to count it).

My current Novel is a Young Adult werewolf novel. A little like Twilight, but more like Annette Curtis Klaus's Blood and Chocolate. The main character doesn't realize she's a werewolf until her first change at puberty (or that werewolves exist - or that the word is considered an ethnic slur among the hereditary shapeshifter clans). Soon after, she learns not only that werewolves exist, but that there are entire communities where everyone is or knows a shapeshifter (and where all the social rules and expectations are not familiar to her).

I'm going with a science-based premise rather than supernatural. In the book's world, shapeshifting is a recessive trait (or rather an assortment of complex genetic traits, both dominant and recesive). The plot centers around the main character (having been raised "human") trying to adjust and fit into a shapeshifter family and community, while navigating the normal challenges of adolescence.

Serval87
10-23-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm on a roll on my ongoing novel at the moment (38k or so), so I'm not going to start something new. I might try to write more than usual, using NaNo as inspiration to finish Part Two. I think I'm close to halfway through it, and expect to make a sequel for it too, so this story is going to be with me for a while. Also, I'm bad with consistency. I've had the basic idea for about 5 years, and have worked on it off and on for the last 4 years. I'd really love to get more consistent with my writing, and finish it, and it's sequel. It also doesn't help that I'm an "edit as you go" and "work on more stories at once" writer. lol.

kaplods, your novel sounds really good. :) My novel is actually about a werewolf too, but I use the word Lycan and Anthromorph instead, because mine takes place in a fantasy universe, so there's all kinds of different species and magic. It's been fun writing it. :)

Good luck, everyone!

cbmare
10-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the story descriptions. Good luck to both of you. I'm not a writer but if I were, this contest sounds like it would be a wonderful catalyst to keep me writing.

gardenerjoy
10-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Glad to see some other participants! This is going to be fun.

I described my NaNoWriMo project last year as "Hogwarts meets graduate school." This year, I'm writing a sequel to that one in the same world. I worked on world-building some over the summer which I think will ultimately improve both books. NaNoWriMo is great for my first drafts. Someday, I want to figure out how to actually complete a second draft!

kaplods: I love your werewolf world! I would definitely read a novel with that premise!

gardenerjoy
10-23-2011, 01:52 PM
sontaikle: what genre are you writing in? Hope your preparation is going well!

ICUwishing: yay for being a first-timer! Have you done any preparation or are you winging it?

djs06: any progress on thinking about what you're going to write about?

Serval87: happy to have you borrowing some of the NaNoWriMo energy to keep your project going!

kaplods
10-23-2011, 06:47 PM
kaplods, your novel sounds really good. :) My novel is actually about a werewolf too, but I use the word Lycan and Anthromorph instead, because mine takes place in a fantasy universe, so there's all kinds of different species and magic. It's been fun writing it. :)

I'm also using lycan as the word that my werewolves most commonly use for themselves (there will be several - as I envision different clans and regions using different terms - especially if I decide to populate my world with therianthropes whose animal form is not canine).

Serval87
10-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Do you plan to publish when you've finished, kaplods?

kaplods
10-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Yes, getting published is my ultimate goal.

messycrayola
10-24-2011, 04:14 AM
I'll chime in as well, having skirted the edges of NaNoWriMo for the past few years but never having actually given it a serious attempt. Looking forward to starting something creative to keep me focused when uni finishes and distracted when my first ever, real job starts.

Sinoia
10-24-2011, 07:11 AM
Signed up =)

It is a long time since I have written a novel. I had four books published some years ago (Virgin Publishing and Hodder & Stoughton) but life intervened and I never got back to it. I was working on a synopsis for publishers and hoped to adjust it, having done a lot of work on it, but really it is too research demanding. I will simply have to fiddle around in the next couple of weeks for a new design and characters.

I do have a notion, based on my experiences of living in Bradford prior to moving to Germany. It was a horrible time, which resulted in my desire to leave Britain altogether and make a new life here - a correct decision. Anyway, while a horrible story I can fuss around it and make it less unappealing by adding a touch of magic.

Let's see if there is a muse around here ... I had mislaid it and hope I packed it up and brought it with me. Must be in a box in the cellar, surely....

Serval87
10-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Good luck, Sinoia! It's amazing that you've been published before. I've only had a couple short stories published, one of which I was paid a very meager amount (it's the one on my signature).

Sinoia
10-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Unless you hit the big time, unfortunately, and churn 'em out, payment is mostly meagre :) A steady, non-famous but reliable novellist can probably expect to earn 5,000 a year, which is barely a living wage. I got a bit more than that but no second print, which was disappointing. I lectured a bit and got a little income from that too but really times were against me then.

Trouble is I am out of practice now. I am not worried about 50,000 words, that is okay, just the quality of those words. Still, I intend to have fun with it and hopefully this will be my springboard to get going again!

I read your story and enjoyed it :)

think I found my muse .... following the founding principle - write what you know about, in the third person. Basic but sound!

PS I hasten to add that I have not started writing yet, and will only so do on 1st November! But I found that plot and characters and they are alive and working on me to flesh them out. That is the best feeling in the world.

gardenerjoy
10-25-2011, 12:28 PM
messycrayola: excellent idea to have something creative in your life as you move from uni to working.

Sinoia: yay for locating your muse!

Serval87: terrific world building in your story -- thanks for sharing it with us!

Serval87
10-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Sinoia, thank you for reading my story. :D

gardenerjoy, thank you! I find the world-building aspect a bit difficult, but when you're inspired, things change, and it's pretty amazing. :)

Sinoia
10-27-2011, 03:05 AM
This may sound dumb but I cannot find the rules for this adventure. I see the panel on the site page but there is no live link to click.

I was looking for specifics, like format ... are we using publisher's requirements, as in double spacing, raw text or Word 2010? Must we submit chapters as we go along or simply transmit the whole at the end of the month?

I am sure there must be a page on it but for the life of me I cannot find it!

gardenerjoy
10-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Sinoia: you're making it much too hard!

The verification in the end is simply copying and pasting your words into a little box that counts words--no different than composing a 3FC entry in Word and then pasting it into this little message box.

For the first 3 weeks or so, you'll just be typing your word count total in a box to show your progress -- 2021 on the first day, 3153 on the second, for example.

Around the last week of November, they will open up the verify box. The standard advice is to verify a couple of times near the end. Their word count software doesn't count the same way that Word does and you don't want to find yourself a few hundred words short at 11:45pm on the last day of November!

Is that clear? I remember being very confused by this my first year as well. So keep asking questions here and elsewhere until someone explains it in a way that makes sense.

Sinoia
10-28-2011, 02:05 AM
Thanks Gardenerjoy, I think I have it.

I am guessing that the verify box is when you paste your actual words into the box to ... um, verify, your actual word count.

I confess this is usually the part I get all shy and uncertain and vulnerable about ... when it goes public!

What a horror if you have too many words!

I think my partner is more excited than me about this. She is my biggest fan and has been encouraging me for the last (gosh) thirteen years to write again. This could be the lead balloon of the century or a real boost to just get on and do it again. It is just a couple of days or so now that I can start. My characters are banging around in my head, desperate to escape, and keeping me awake. If nothing else I have to do them some justice. I know darned well that the moment I set them free they will do their own darned thing and surprise me in the end and one of them I definitely do not like very much at all!

Princess Squish
10-28-2011, 04:41 AM
I've heard about this but never really looked into it.
I had an incredible dream a couple of months ago that, I think, could make an incredible read. I may try to pull this off.

Serval87
10-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Dreams are great inspiration, Princess Squish! I've had many turn into notes that will turn into stories once I'm done with the ones I'm writing now! :D

Sinoia
10-29-2011, 02:04 AM
D-day approaches =) This will be fun, and sheer hard work!

gardenerjoy
10-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Happy NaNoWriMo Eve!

kaplods
11-01-2011, 12:07 AM
I'm interpreting the rules a little loosely, so that I can continue working on the book I started last year.

I'm not going to count or include any of the words I've already written, of course (that wouldn't be fair).

I envision the novel as a trilogy anyway, so whether the new 50,000 words ultimately end up in the first book, one of the sequels, or spread across all three, I'm not sure. I don't think it really matters, as long as I only count "new" writing in my word count.

Because I often end up re-arranging scenes, this could be a bit confusing, so I'm either going to open up a new document to finish the story/count for NaNoWriMo, or simply tack on 50,000 words to my current word count - and consider THAT number the number that I have to reach, to ensure that I do indeed create 50,000 "new" words.

I may also "pick up" with where I think the first story will end, and write from that point on (with the intent that everything is meant for book two). Then when NaNoWriMo is over, I can decide how or if to incorporate any of the NaNoWriMo work into book one.

Haven't really decided yet.

My largest obstacle will have nothing to do with the challenge itself - it will be keeping my 3FC time to a minimum. I may even have to "block" 3FC for the month (literally or figuratively).

gardenerjoy
11-02-2011, 12:45 AM
I managed 1700 words and a little today. Good enough! How is everyone else doing?

Sinoia
11-02-2011, 03:07 AM
Yesterday I did 2456, that is MSWord count though so it could differ with the official counter. I was okay with that. It did start a little slowly and I just felt rusty and out of practise up to 900 words so I did not force it.

Fortunately, after my dancemat exercise, my blood starting flowing and I found the balance of words flow.

I feel positive.

Good luck all.

(only thing was it interfered with my midday treadmill exercise, which I ended up doing at 9pm instead. No matter what I am determined this will not scupper my attempts at weight loss)

shanhat81
11-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Oooh, I didn't know this thread existed!!!

I'm also NaNoing ... this is my fourth try. One year I fell down a flight of stairs on 11/10 and massacred my ankle, one year I was getting married ... one year I got busy campaigning ... so this is my year.

I am working on a subject very near and dear to my heart this year -- 15th-century England.

gardenerjoy
11-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Yay, Sinoia, for getting in both your word count and your exercise. I'm normally a late afternoon exerciser, but I got mine in at 10:30 this morning because I had a write-in at 3:00. Writing while keeping in shape definitely requires some flexibility.

Glad you're joining us shanhat81! 15th century England is a terrific setting!

I'm still on pace, with about 3500 words.

Sinoia
11-03-2011, 03:49 AM
this is my synopsis which I posted on the cover nominations. I know it is a little self-aggrandising to self-nominate but really you have to try to sell yourself a little. Trust me it took some chutzpah to do it and I blush at my impertinance.

Thanks gardenerjoy. Glad your muse found you even though it was tardy the first day. I am betting it sticks like glue now!

Title:Beillus

Genre:Urban Fantasy

Synopsis:

Beillus is not a light-hearted, adventure novel. The characters are constantly in mortal danger and their confusion and terror are real. Throughout the book they double-guess their fate, in and out of Beillus, and doubt that they will succeed or survive. The creatures are lethal and the battles are bloody, cruel and shocking. This is a desperate struggle for survival by three people ill-equipped to deal with the true horror of fantasy world made real.

An agoraphobic, fat old woman, a streetwise foul-mouthed drug addict and a gay, male dancer are thrust into the fantasy world and have to face terror and imminent death not knowing, if they manage to get escape, if they are still alive in the real world.

Why did they choose the avatars that represent them? Sylvia Parchley, 60, fat and agoraphobic creates Astyr, a sylphlike creature who worships Strerredios and is beloved in Beillus as a world shaper and leader. Peter Schmidt, 34, a strikingly handsome, well-built dancer commited to his partner in life, Wolfgang, chose Chalky, a shrunken, grey old wizard. Andrew Ploughman, 16, an addict, car thief and graffiti artist from an estate in Bradford is Jitz, a rogue.

In Beillus, as themselves, they do not have the skills and spells that made them successful as avatars, they are merely human. All they have is the knowledge with which they hope to influence world characters to assist them in their quest to escape, and a desperate will to survive.

To this end they enlist Sir Wonan Bonthielle, a fickle but battle-hardened knight and Pegahop, one of the last geodesish settlers, Urchin Poffit and Thett's Mare who weaves songs to imprison the only key they believe they have to escape into the real world, the Demon Child of Dorba Thett.

In the real world they lie comatose. What would happen to their real selves if they escape? Andrew, whose last thought before he hit the floor was "****, I left the kief out!" may face imprisonment, Peter will have to deal with the agony and indecision of his love, Wolfgang and Sylvia, reclusive with no one who would find her, or miss her, may face death.

In the real world, in Leeds, three men work feverishly to help them with only access to raw game code. A father and two sons face critical choices that could save, or kill, the lost adventurers.

Beillus is not for the faint-hearted, it has foul language (but only in keeping with the character), it exposes hate and prejudice, it brings up questions about modern life styles. It carries graphic passages on death, and gore, deception and doublecross.

gardenerjoy
11-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Sinoia: I like the idea of a fantasy novel of characters who want a fantasy life as an escape, only to discover that fantasy is really scary when actually experienced.

I'm still on pace -- just over 5000 words. I'm happy with my paranormal romance seems to be going at the moment. In my past NaNoWriMo novels, I've managed to write the adventure piece but never really get the romance going. Right now, it looks like my two characters might actually have both enough conflict and enough attraction to make the romance work. This could be a fun month!

gardenerjoy
11-06-2011, 11:12 PM
I went past 10,000 words tonight! And rewarded myself by ordering the 2011 NaNoWriMo T-shirt.

Sinoia
11-07-2011, 03:22 AM
Grats, and ditto on the words though I am waiting for the long sleeved one to be on sale.

I am feeling the rhythm now and starting to enjoy the sessions and the company of my characters. I had done little planning before the event and felt slightly stressed because I knew I had chosen both characters and plot that would normally require reserach and a great deal more preparation. From a broad outline, my hardy adventurers seem to have risen to the occaision!

If the story succeeds it is totally down to them.

Just updated my count after a quick scan of yesterday's effort; 11,860!

Sinoia
11-08-2011, 05:16 AM
Bought Scrivener, so fed up with MS Word and nano entrants get 20% off. Good deal, only 38 and some change. One of the great problems I had writing mostly on the fly is keeping track of features and names so I had to keep back-tracking to check where and what and who. This package has some great features to cork-board stuff. Anyway this is not an ad for Scrivener, just enthusiasm!

I must admit the writing has taken over my life again. I am keeping up with my dance-mat and treadmill sessions but it seems like I am just plugging away at that and the temptation to not do them is present. I shall keep that down and keep reminding myself that I am saving my life. I do find that I am not planning meals well and that bothers me because I am throwing more frozen food into woks than preparing fresh meals. I do not feel confident that weigh-day will please me.

It does not help that I have a lump on the back of my neck that hurts. I tracked it down to a swollen occipital lymph node, which is likely reacting to recent flu ... and that it will take a few weeks to calm down. It also makes exercise difficult as my neck and shoulder ache .. from it or the flu. That is my whine for today, promise!

Just finished forty minutes on the dance-mat. Good thing I know the moves because the entire time was focused on the mechanics of two main characters sharing an intimate moment ... without making it tacky. It matters because one is a real life character and one an avatar.

shanhat81
11-08-2011, 10:19 AM
I am having intensive writing sessions this week -- I missed the weekend since FIL was in town.

NaNo T-shirt is my reward for 25k words... if I hit 50k and if I get to 30 lbs by the end of the month, I get the earrings in my avatar.

gardenerjoy
11-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Sinoia: great job getting your exercise in and finding a way to make it work creatively. Last year, I cast John Barrowman to play my male lead character. Exercise was watching old Torchwood episodes while walking on the treadmill.

shanhat81: great writing plan! Those are really cute earrings!

I'm still on pace. I have a write-in this evening which should keep me on pace, if we don't chat too much.

Serval87
11-09-2011, 02:36 AM
I am a slow writer, but last night ... in the bathroom ... I brainstormed the rest of Part two of my fantasy story, so I recorded about 1300 words of notes right when I got out. lol. I've only written a little less than 2000 words this month (not counting notes), but Monday was my marriage anniversary, Sunday I was at church all day, and here lately my husband hasn't been going to bed early enough for me to write. I have to be in the dark by myself to do my best.

Sinoia
11-09-2011, 03:50 AM
Last year, I cast John Barrowman to play my male lead character. Exercise was watching old Torchwood episodes while walking on the treadmill.

Had a giggle at this, he is rather cute! One of my male characters is most definitely Charlie Hunnam (the Sons of Anarchy version of him). The `romantic' male lead is Christian Bale. It is a pity my female lead is rather more me!

Sinoia
11-11-2011, 11:53 AM
How's everyone doing?

Hope you are all at it still and we get to swap books at the end of it!

gardenerjoy
11-14-2011, 10:23 PM
I got past 25,000 words today -- a day ahead of schedule! How is everyone else doing?

Sinoia
11-15-2011, 02:53 AM
On 34093, but I went for the 5000 drive suggested for the weekend.

Back to 2k a day now, which suits me just fine!

Started to design my cover and preparing it with some graphics stuff I got with me Wacom tablet. Just for fun!

gardenerjoy
11-15-2011, 11:41 PM
Sinoia: you're rocking that word count!

Sinoia
11-16-2011, 06:30 AM
Thank you. I am back to where I was a dozen years ago. A familiar feeling that I welcome with open arms. I wrote four novels before life changed and made it impossible. At that time I would go to sleep thinking of the next day's work and wake with it as my first thought. I would write all day because there was nothing else I wanted to do. From the moment I started to type time disappeared and eight hours later I would stop. I only really knew what I wrote when I read it back. It sounds hackneyed but it always felt like something took over.

My novels were published and copies have been stuck in a cardboard box for the last twelve years. I don't think I will read them again or even own up to them. What I do want is what is happening now.

I found it hard to write again. Until a couple of days ago I was plotting, designing, crafting characters and winging it turning out a couple of thousand words a day and aware of every sentence (bad or good). I had chores to do, housework, dancemat, treadmill, cooking, laundry and a miscellany of other things, which meant setting time aside to write.

This morning I got up and wrote. I am at that stage of the book where the actions of my characters will dictate the ending and I have five valid endings. I am writing them all. I know that one of them will be right but I do not want to lose the words so, while I know it is likely at least 20,000 additional words that will never be used, I have to prepare them all.

So, I am back where I was a dozen years ago ...

That is scary because it means life changes again. I have to prepare full synopses, court publishers, forget the dust bunnies and put enormous strain on my partner. She is my biggest fan but change for me means change for her too, it is not all just about me.

I think you understand.

gardenerjoy
11-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Yep. I'm not that far along in thinking of myself as a writer, but far enough to scare myself. And far enough that if I don't pursue it this, for real this time, I'm going to regret it. It does help having a supportive partner, but I worry about the strain all the way around, too. It's been stressful this month for both of us to have this going on, but exciting too.

pockets
11-17-2011, 12:21 AM
You guys amaze me! I LOVE to read, but no way do I have the imagination to write.

Sinoia
11-17-2011, 05:00 AM
Yep. I'm not that far along in thinking of myself as a writer

Writers write =) There is actually a great little book by that name but it is true, if you write then you are a writer. When no one is looking, or within hearing, I sometimes whisper to myself and tell me I am an author but that is a big secret which I will carry to the grave!

I used to be such a social animal (way back), with loads of people who would drop in and I used to host D&D weekends, Bridge weekends, Agatha Christie weekends and invariably hosted a couple of dinner parties in the week. That was on top of going out to the theatre and restaurants. I was 45 and had done the career thing and I finally put my foot down and told my partner that my time had come and I was going to write ... at last. It was that serious that I said I would understand if he objected but I was serious enough that I would leave because it was something I had to do. (I know that sounds awful but, to put it in context, he was an utter **** and used to abuse me, mentally and physically so I actually should have left him before I even thought about writing). He deflated like an overblown balloon, which really is all he was. So I started writing and it was an everyday, everynight thing and for the first time in many years I was happy. He tried to sabotage me at every turn, all but one of my friends disappeared into the ether but I got those books out and there was no finer feeling than seeing them on the shelves of Waterstones or getting those royalty statements. It was the hardest thing I ever did, and stuck with. It is a shame that things fell apart, home burned down... partner developed early onset dementia etc etc or I perhaps would have gone from strength to strength.

Today is my 60th birthday. I reckon that I have a good few novels in me yet and my current partner is so wonderful that I know even if she gets burnt offerings or freezer suppers she will still look forward to my next chapter.

I have got to be the luckiest woman alive!

You guys amaze me! I LOVE to read, but no way do I have the imagination to write

I think it is amazing that you posted and said this wonderful thing! Thank you so much!

I feel that way about people who sing (I am borderline tone deaf) and I watch the X Factor (okay, I confess .. the English one, the American one and the German one!) and envy the contestants with all of my heart!

gardenerjoy
11-19-2011, 12:01 AM
I had my best day yet -- over 4000 words -- to blast through 30,000. I'm at 32,600. My story improved today, too, so I'm very pleased.

Happy Birthday, Sinoia! How is your writing today?

Anyone else still with us? :-)

Sinoia
11-19-2011, 12:18 AM
Anyone else still with us? :-)

I wondered that too! I figured they are all so busy writing there is no time to stop in. There will be a deluge of answers come December!

Glad your muse woke up and decided to help out. Mine decided to put her feet up and take a break, which is fine. I am at 41749 words and shall get 5000 done today I hope, or tomorrow. My novella is going to run over the 50k anyway so I am resigned to that.

I am slightly more concerned that my weight loss is not going so well. I am still exercising but my diet is rubbish. I am already working on a synopsis for another novel (old school 150,000, 14 chapters ... like publishers like) but somewhere along the line I have to find a balance between writing and dieting that works for both.

Go writers!

gardenerjoy
11-22-2011, 11:16 PM
I got past 41,000 today. I realized I didn't know enough about my bad guys so I did a bit of writing to explore who they were.

How are you doing Sinoia? Anyone else?

Sinoia
11-23-2011, 10:04 AM
50621 as of ten minutes ago. I am not finished though, there are a good two chapters to go. Yesterday I found myself at an impasse so I just scribbled down loads of thoughts when I went to bed and this morning woke at 5am with a drive that would make my muse proud. I did 6549 words today and worked out two really tricky plot curves. Damn I feel proud!

At the risk of sounding about twelve years old, I LOVE this novella. The plot is twisted, the characters shine each in their own right. They have great moments and suck at other times. There are bits that make me cry and bits that make me laugh.

My partner has read it as I wrote it. She loves it and looks forward to it every night when she gets to catch up on it. I felt totally wonderful when she put down her e-reader the night before last and said "Cool!". I just told her (on google talk, she is at work) that the novella was nearly finished and she said, "Aww no,I don't want it to end!" Could there be a better compliment than that?

I am going to publish, or get published. I like this book. My synopsis does it no justice. I know that sounds really too arrogant but, honestly, I feel humble. I never feel like I am the one writing ... I am just the one being allowed to pen it, if that makes sense?

I am working on my cover now. I did nominate myself in that thread but I am glad I was not selected because I have a cover design in mind that would work perfectly. I am messing with my Wacom tablet and Photoshop!

Gardenerjoy, you are being too hard on yourself. The bad guys will tell you who they are ... bad guys are like that! Congrats on the wordage! I will see you at the winners line! Hope your tee-shirt is on order!

gardenerjoy
11-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Yay, Sinoia, for reaching the 50K mark and still having time and story left to tell!

gardenerjoy
11-26-2011, 11:47 PM
I made it over 45,000 today! I'm about a day ahead of pace, but it's possible I won't be able to write tomorrow, so that's a very good place to be.

Sinoia
11-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Congrats Gardenerjoy!

I have finished, 67854 and just verified the word count using their calclulator. Word was about 50 words out which surprised me, I had expected a greater difference. I am going to sit back and relax for a few days and then read it though again.

I had the mother of all gallstone attacks last night and the only reason I refused to go to hospital was because I was **** bent on finishing the book today and if I was suddenly having my gallbladder removed I would miss the deadline. I honestly still feel sick and sore but I am glad I did this.

My weight loss is messed up. I was managing to maintain the loss with exercise but put on two pounds this last week. I have time to feel awful about that now but I shall try to get back into losing. I suspect I will keep on writing. I have slipped back into that mode and I am determined I shall be published again. I hope this book, as I have several sequels bouncing around. I did a cover, I will post it when I have it ready!

gardenerjoy
11-30-2011, 12:42 AM
It still looks like I'll do it -- 1600 words during a write-in tomorrow will get me across the finish line.

Sinoia
11-30-2011, 02:35 AM
Yes! Go Gardenerjoy! Hup hup hup

I hoped my T-shirt would arrive so I could wear it today!

Champers at the finish line (well, sparkling water for me because I don't drink)!

gardenerjoy
11-30-2011, 11:19 PM
I won! 50,183. And my story is at an end. Kind of. I kind of let it drift to an end since it's so obviously going to need a massive rewrite to work -- especially at the ending. It was fun!

Sinoia
12-01-2011, 02:16 AM
Congratulations!

My story ended but I had left openings for sequels, I can see at least 5 or 6 out of it. What I have decided to do it make it into a full length novel so will add another 60,000 or 70,000 words over the next eight weeks. I am going to e-publish this one through Amazon and it will take eight weeks to get the number of tax purposes from America. The documentation is nearly set to go off with just a notarised passport copy to be got today.

I shall start on the sequel right after this one is published and shall decide whether to continue to e-publish or submit to a publisher based on the performance of sales of the first one. I am hoping if it sells, even moderately, then together with my past published novels, a publishing house will consider adding me to the stable.

The NanoWriMo "kick up the derriere" was totally what I needed to get me back on the right track. It was also good for my partner because it gave us a dress rehearsal that allowed us to adjust to my writing. Apart from a few days during which I totally closed down to work, really it was not that intrusive. She has been wonderfully supportive and my biggest fan. She is a writer's dream. Now all she has to do is learn to cook...

I jest!

gardenerjoy
12-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Yay! I'm glad it worked well for you. I had a similar experience--my husband and I figured out that we could cope quite well with me writing that much. Very good to know.

Sinoia
12-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Nice! We came through with the best possible ending. I love that. I wonder how many other people are sat right where we are?

It is almost scary. There was a moment where I turned a corner and recognised the street where my muse lives and I have been walking it ever since that time, with a fission of excitement. I would say this is the perfect time and I have a slight fear the bubble will burst but I am enjoying the experience so much that I will take that risk.

I bought Scrivener during November but kept writing with Word because I simply could not stop to learn it so am doing that now and creating all my research files. Unfortunately I invented a whole world, with quests, languages, created computer generated characters, maps etc etc. I have to plan that out properly if the world is going to last or I will make some really dire mistakes!

I shall see you on the bookshelves =)