Old 10-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 276

Height: 5'9

Default I am new

Hi. i am new to this whole thing, and i just started trying to lose some weight. I weigh 276 now and need to lose over 100 pounds...i am in need of support, becuase i suck at self control. i have the worst support system in my husband, he has no weight problem, and doesn't understand why i want to lose weight, because he doesn't see it as a problem. I asked him the other day what would happen if i got to big to fit on the couch and he said buy a bigger couch. he's a great guy...but a crappy support system. lol...so i need all the help i can get...and i don't know how to do it...thanks..sorry to whine..
AthenaBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #2  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Welcome to the boards and you will find lots of support here. Are you going to be following a specific plan or just watching what you eat? its going to be a long journey but you can get through it. Just keep in mind that you need to do this for YOU and ONLY YOU, no one else can do it for you. You aren't whining just asking for help and that is the first step...welcome
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

U can do this! Go girl!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #4  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

I'm new too Good to meet you!
fyreflie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Good to meet both you newbies.

Athena - you can do this because YOU want to. Maybe in time your hubby will get on board. Feel free to whine - that's what friends are for - to listen. You'll find lots of friends in here. Support, chit-chat, a kick in the butt if you need it. That's us!

Fyreflie - I've seen you in a couple other threads. It looks like you are off to a good start with almost 30 pounds lost so far. Great job. Keep up the great work.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #6  
I Need Accountablity!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to the group! You will find lots of support. Check in each day for the accountability.
WannaBeLoserAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

WELCOME....I started at a higher weight than yours and am working my way 1to goal. My self control is also horrible. Remember, small steps. One day at a time, one meal at a time, one snack at a time! Cheering you on to goal!
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #8  

Thank you all so much...i didn't realize it would really be this hard. I am working on a low carb diet and such..not really anything specifically named...but just watching what i eat and such..thank you..cause you people will be kicking me in my butt to help me to continue..
Old 10-18-2011, 01:00 AM   #9  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Hi and !! Your not whining at all- we are all in the same boat that is why we are here. It sounds to me like your husband really loves you- in his way he is letting you know no matter what he is there. I have heard of husbands getting on to their wife because of weight gain and making mean remarks. But him saying we would just get a new couch is kinda sweet. You are going to have to have a heart to heart talk with him though- so he can understand this is important to you. And you want to be more healthy and you need his help and support. Once I explained it my husband he really supported me.
My husband is slim also. I knew this would affect him also because my way of cooking and the foods I had around the kitchen would change. I am a sweet loving food loving junkie. And if I had those sweets and stuff around I knew I would crumble. So if my husband wants something sweet he has to get it away from home. We have a don't ask don't tell policy (about food) I don't want to know about it!
Be sure to keep a journal. You can look back after some time and see how far you have come. Take down all your measurements from your neck to your ankles. At times when the scale seems to be moving slow you can see the measurement numbers are smaller. That helps me not to get discouraged when I hit those scale moving stalls.
Take good care of yourself and eat good healthy food and drink lots of water. It is a gradual process normal weight loss is between 0-3 Lbs. a week. At first you will have a weight loss of 10-15 Lbs. really fast but then it slows down some. So don't get discouraged that is normal. Keep us posted!!
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #10  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

helllllllllllooooo & welcome! The couch comment is really sweet, I like him! SO many times you hear horrible things partners say, so it's nice to hear a nice one Just remind him, sure I'm hot NOW but just wait til next year! Sometimes they need reassurance that no matter HOW hot you get, you're not going anywhere!

As for your plan, it seems a little loosey-goosey but if you feel that's what's going to work for you, go for it! I'm a bit the same, a rigid "YOU CAN'T EAT THAT" attitude is guaranteed to break me in about 2 days LOL so I chose calorie counting, because - technically- i CAN eat cake for dinner if I want LOL I have to count it, no cheating, but I can have it! I don't but I can, that's huge!

Best of luck, and be sure you're getting all your vitamins and nutrients for the day, gotta stay big and strong...ok wait, slim and strong !!

keep us posted

Last edited by Trazey34; 10-18-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Welcome! You have come to the right place. Your husband sounds great. Maybe if you explained the health benefits of losing weight to him would get him to understand and be more supportive. I am sure he doesn't want you to develop health problems due to your weight.
Tell him exactly how you would like him to support you- what you need to succeed. When I started, I asked my partner if we could switch to healthier foods and if he could make dinner when I got home so I could do my exercises. I think sometimes, people want to support us but need specifics to do so.
I am so glad you decided to work to become healthy. We will be cheering you on in your victories. You will be amazed at the amount of inspiration and motivation that is on this board.

Last edited by Madame Souza; 10-18-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Welcome!! Your husband sounds great! Mine is similar, loves me no matter what and would never say anything negative about me. He supports my choices, but still eats the same things, which include treats that I no longer fit into my calories. So that was a struggle at the first, but I decided the reward of losing weight (and now the reward of staying in my size 4 pants!) was worth not eating those treats. I chose calorie counting too, so I could technically have the burgers he loves to indulge in, but I decided it just isn't worth it because it'd pretty much be all I could eat that day! lol Anyways welcome, you can do this, all I can say is find a way that works for you, and run with it!

fyreflie - Welcome to you too!!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #13  
Focus

S/C/G: 296/ticker/199/

Height: 5'4

Good Luck ! You can do it ! You will find lots of support right here with the all your buddies ! My man is the same way , slim and is fine with me being a chunky woman ! I keep him warm ! He loves my curves and he does'nt want a little boney woman ! He assures me of that ! LOL He was'nt supportive in the beginning but now he is so wanting me to do good because he sees how happy it makes me and thats what he wants now. He also sees that I am not doing it for another man but FOR ME ! I did have to tell him that a few times ! LOL You need to get a plan together and write it down. Be accountable to the scale . Weighing once a week always helped me. Lots of water. I stopped drinking soft drinks completely. I loved diet coke but just could not keep drink them in moderation. Set up some form of exercising . I started out with videos and walking.
Dumplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #14  
:)

S/C/G: 330/

Height: 5'5"

Hi Athenabelle glad your here. I'm new too and it can be daunting. Especially if your hubby does not have any weight to loose and really has no idea how to support you. Come on here whenever you can. I feel like it helps me keep on track. Hope to see you around!!
sassyangies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #15  

I used to go to the gym and i took kick boxing and zumba...love zumba..it is so much fun..but we moved so i am now down to the dvd's for zumba and it's just not the same..but it's still fun...I don't really have the money or the time to join something like weight watchers or the diets where they send you the food to eat..so it will have to be low carb (as i am doing now) or calorie counting....which if the low carb doesn't turn out like i want then that will be the route i choose next....thank you all so much for the support...and i am drinking lots of water...and i am down now to only 1 diet dr. pepper per day...whoo hoo..and zumba videos 2 to 3 times a day....