Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Bikini bottom recommendations for swimming/water aerobics

I'm looking for bikini bottoms that are great for swimming lots of laps/water aerobics (i.e. no wedgies please!) that would go well with this bikini top:

When I bought the top it was on sale and there were no bottoms left They don't have to be the best match in the world but I do need something that's not too low-waisted due to have loose skin/built-in muffin top. Otherwise, I just want something that will be functional while swimming.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #2  

Not appropriate for water aerobics!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

I would wear a one piece for any movement water activity... You won't need to worry about anything riding up or things popping out... There are enough things to think about when your doing a class or laps...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #4  
June

Yeah... I have a really hard to find cup size (30J/JJ-32HH/J). It's very, very rare to find one pieces in my size that offer any support, let alone one that I can afford. I'm also in the process of losing weight and don't want to put down a ton of money on that rare one piece.

To add to this complication I live in a developing country that does not understand that cup sizes above a B cup exist so I have to order from abroad, which gets even more expensive with shipping fees and takes a long time (I've been waiting about a month for this top to arrive).

So understand, it's not easy for me to find a top. This one was affordable and will fit infinitely better than my old one that offers zero support. When I get to my goal (and if i have a chance to go abroad where I can try some one in person) then I'll buy a more sporty one but at this moment THIS one is my option so I need to find bottoms to go with it (my parents are coming from the states soon so I'll order them ahead of time and they'll bring them with).
Old 10-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
Yeah... I have a really hard to find cup size (30J/JJ-32HH/J). It's very, very rare to find one pieces in my size that offer any support, let alone one that I can afford. I'm also in the process of losing weight and don't want to put down a ton of money on that rare one piece.

To add to this complication I live in a developing country that does not understand that cup sizes above a B cup exist so I have to order from abroad, which gets even more expensive with shipping fees and takes a long time (I've been waiting about a month for this top to arrive).

So understand, it's not easy for me to find a top. This one was affordable and will fit infinitely better than my old one that offers zero support. When I get to my goal (and if i have a chance to go abroad where I can try some one in person) then I'll buy a more sporty one but at this moment THIS one is my option so I need to find bottoms to go with it (my parents are coming from the states soon so I'll order them ahead of time and they'll bring them with).
Ok, now I understand your dilema I would try to find biker shorts then, black or brown, depending on the colour of your top... BUT even if that top fits you, when you lift your arms to exercise you may pop out... I'm an A-B so I have no idea what a J size is or feels like I cannot even imagine! I'm not much help am I ....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Do you have any sports bras? Honestly, a sports bra plus biker shorts are probably your best bet. That top would work for deep water running but not sure it'd work for other water activities.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #7  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Lands End suits fit pretty well in my experience, so that would usually be my first recommendation. But, they have a very limited selection of colors right now as it's past swimsuit season: http://www.landsend.com/pp/BeachLivi...n&origin=index

You could also check a site like Speedo or TYR, as those suits (even their 2-piece ones) are generally made more for performance than for fashion, meaning you'll likely get better coverage.

Sorry I'm not more help on the bikini bottom front - it's not something I normally shop for!

When you ARE in the market for a one-piece, I would highly recommend this suit from Lands End: http://www.landsend.com/pp/AlloverCo...n&origin=index. It's not cheap, but it has an underwire bra and is very supportive. I have a DDD cup size, but given that the DDD cup has been too big for me when I have ordered this suit in the past (a D is much better on me in this suit, and I can even do the regular), I am guessing that the DDD might work for you. The shape is also flattering and the suit is high-quality, and I think it would hold up well even with being in the pool multiple times per week. The good thing about Lands End as well is that returns can be made to a Sears store (that retails Lands End) at anytime... meaning that if you ordered it but only had a chance to return it months later, or have your parents return it after a visit, that would be fine.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #8  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Ok, now I understand your dilema I would try to find biker shorts then, black or brown, depending on the colour of your top... BUT even if that top fits you, when you lift your arms to exercise you may pop out... I'm an A-B so I have no idea what a J size is or feels like I cannot even imagine! I'm not much help am I ....
No problem. Biker shorts aren't a bad idea either. Those I could even find easily locally. Unfortunately, in terms of bikini bottoms here they're normally as skimpy as they come, so not very good for exercise!

I have a good feeling about the top in terms of support even though it might not look very supportive. The brand (Ewa Michalak) is a pretty well-known for being supportive and providing well-made bras in the large cup sizes so I'm pretty hopeful that it will work out.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #9  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Do you have any sports bras? Honestly, a sports bra plus biker shorts are probably your best bet. That top would work for deep water running but not sure it'd work for other water activities.
Sort of, I do have a really old sports bra (that's way too big for me!) that I wear as my alternate suit underneath my old maternity one piece suit that is just massive on me. It's not the most flattering thing in the world (actually far from it) but it sort of works in the inbetween phase.

The rest of my sports bras I can't wear at all because they're just way too big in the band so I donated them to a friend recently. I'm waiting on some bras that I ordered and once I figure out my size in their respective brands I'm going to order a sports bra but since it'd be brand new I really don't want to take it in the pool.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #10  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee32 View Post
Lands End suits fit pretty well in my experience, so that would usually be my first recommendation. But, they have a very limited selection of colors right now as it's past swimsuit season: http://www.landsend.com/pp/BeachLivi...n&origin=index

You could also check a site like Speedo or TYR, as those suits (even their 2-piece ones) are generally made more for performance than for fashion, meaning you'll likely get better coverage.

Sorry I'm not more help on the bikini bottom front - it's not something I normally shop for!

When you ARE in the market for a one-piece, I would highly recommend this suit from Lands End: http://www.landsend.com/pp/AlloverCo...n&origin=index. It's not cheap, but it has an underwire bra and is very supportive. I have a DDD cup size, but given that the DDD cup has been too big for me when I have ordered this suit in the past (a D is much better on me in this suit, and I can even do the regular), I am guessing that the DDD might work for you. The shape is also flattering and the suit is high-quality, and I think it would hold up well even with being in the pool multiple times per week. The good thing about Lands End as well is that returns can be made to a Sears store (that retails Lands End) at anytime... meaning that if you ordered it but only had a chance to return it months later, or have your parents return it after a visit, that would be fine.
Thanks for the Land's End link. Do you know if they run true to size (as in the measurements in their size chart are accurate)? By my measurements it says about a size 12 should work (I'm typically in 10's in most other places, though, with the occasional 8).

Speedos are not a bad idea either. I'm going to look there too... anybody know about how their sizing works?

I'm pretty hesitant about trying their once piece being that I have some bras in an F cup (US DDD cup in a larger band size so they're even bigger than an F in my band size) already that are way, way, way too small for me. Right now my bust measures ~14" larger than my underbust so most DDD's (that would be a 6" difference between bust/underbust) would be about 8" too small.

Last edited by runningfromfat; 10-17-2011 at 11:10 AM.