Old 10-16-2011, 12:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 374/ticker/size 12

Height: 5'8"

Default Having surgery and still losing weight?

Monday I will go in to have an ovarian cyst removed. Actually, they are taking my right ovary completely and doing a tubal.
I have been in extreme pain for the last 5 days now (2 of those I barely even ate 300 calories due to nausea) but I miss working out so bad. I don't hardcore workout. I just walk or hike everyday some way, some how. It may be Walk It Out on the wii or walking with friends at the park, you get the picture.

So, I am looking at either a 2-4 week ban from exercise (as long as it can be taken out laprascopy) or up to 6-8 week ban if I have to be opened up due to scar tissue!

Now, I fully believe my weight loss is due to eating but exercising really keeps me happy. My mood has been so great and I love getting that endorphin rush. It keeps me motivated. It just helps.

I guess I am just ranting. I am going to stick with my plan. 3-0-1. 3 meals a day, 0 food in between, and 1 day at a time. I know I can still lose weight. I am in overeater's anonymous and I feel as if this is a challenge I have to face. Instead of just throwing my hands up and eating whatever I have to continue on the path of abstinence.

Anyway, wish me luck! Keep making lots of posts so I can have something to read and stay inspired by while recovering!!
oneLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You will not want to walk or bike ride the first few days. Trust Me !. When you feel better and if doctor ok's it start a little at a time and increase as you are able. You will still lose but just have to slow down the exercise for a short while.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

Light walking is usually fine and even encouraged after surgery. Check with your doctor of course! You will be back in the game in no time. Best wishes!
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I had my left ovary removed about 5 or 6 years ago on a Wednesday at 6:00 pm. (Scheduled for 10:00 am, but you know how it goes with OB-GYN doctors - babies come regardless of the schedule.) I had to stay overnight because of how late in the day they did the surgery. I stayed home from work on Thursday, worked 8 hours on Friday and on Saturday I was able to drive 120 miles by myself to a family reunion. It only hurt when I laughed or coughed. I didn't also have a tubal, so it was a little less invasive.

Talk to your doctor, but I agree with Juliana77 - I think you'll be able to walk. Just don't go as far as you do now in case you get tired easily. Make it a shorter walk and do it twice if you feel good enough. You say you walk in a park with friends. That sounds perfect. You will be in a public place with people around if you need help. Hiking in remote places should probably be off limits for a while - just common sense.

I'm betting you will feel up to walking in a few days if they can do the surgery laprascopically. You are determined and focused on staying on plan. you've done a great job so far. I KNOW you won't let this get in the way. I'll be thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers. Hope all goes well. Please post back as soon as you feel up to it so we know how things went. You know how friends tend to worry.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 10-16-2011 at 10:05 AM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #5  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I didn't have the same surgery but I have had surgery many times (including one that left me with a ~20 incision that started just over my belly button and goes all the way around to the middle of my back).

And in my experience, they will want you up and walking very soon. Yes, you will have to go very slowly and just short distances to start. But every time you do it and then exhaust yourself and then rest, you'll have more strength the next time you wake up. It may not be enough for weight loss, but the more you keep going, the sooner you should be able to get back to your normal level of activity.

(all of the above of course subject to talking to your doctor!!)
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #6  

You know ... you guys are right! I have had laprascopic for gallbladder removal and then had a c-section and yes, they do want you to walk asap! I think its more intense cardio and weight lifting that you should stop. I will be sure to bring my fears up with my dr tomorrow and I bet anything he will want me to go slow but still walk.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #7  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneLess View Post
You know ... you guys are right! I have had laprascopic for gallbladder removal and then had a c-section and yes, they do want you to walk asap! I think its more intense cardio and weight lifting that you should stop. I will be sure to bring my fears up with my dr tomorrow and I bet anything he will want me to go slow but still walk.
Good luck with your surgery! I also had one of my ovaries removed for the same reason. I actually lost A LOT of weight shortly after the surgery just due to how it affected my stomach (I had to keep to a pretty strict diet for about a month). It was an outpatient surgery for me and even though it definitely took me some hours to be able to walk at all, I was home that same day. It really took me about 2 weeks before I was walking more or less comfortably and probably a month before I could work out again.

In a way it actually really helped me to lose quite a bit of weight and change some of my eating habits because if I did eat something (like chocolate) I'd get sick pretty shortly aftewards. I also think that the cysts might have made it harder for me to lose before. Once they were gone it really seemed like my body has a easier time losing weight.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #8  

runningfromfat: that's a success story! I also think the cyst is sort of making me hold onto some weight so I am excited to see how I do afterwards.