Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #1  

Default I'm picky?

I've always been a picky eater since I was little.

I don't really like meats, and certain vegetables.

I've tried them, but the taste never really satisfied me so I would stick to certain foods.

Is there any recommendation for my daily meals? I love salads, which I constantly eat during lunchtime, I limit my bread intake, and I rarely eat breakfast. What would be a good breakfast meal that would be great to start my day? I'm staying open-minded :-P!

What about dinner? I'm not sure what I should eat for my "ending" meal, because I'm always so picky.
Frecklie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

What MAKES it picky?

My spouse cannot stand raw tomato. But he's ok cooked in sauce or soup if it is minimal. He likes dry food, not overly saucy.

He does not like cooked apples, but likes them fresh and raw.

He will not eat mushrooms -- ever. Neither grapes.

He is a "texture" eater and anything he perceives as "too squishy" puts him off -- too much dressing or sauce is "squishy" and certain produce is "squishy."

He used to think he hated all veggies, but after being with me he realized he actually likes most veggies. He just doesn't like the overcooked and squishy way his mom would make them.

So I'd suggest trying to get to the bottom of WHY you feel picky about certain things.

Perhaps that could help with ideas and open up your choices more.

HTH!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

In regards to breakfast, do you like eggs or oatmeal? You know you don't have to eat breakfast foods for breakfast. You can eat whatever you like.

Out of curiosity, what do you typically eat that you like? What do you put in your salads?
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 177.7/150.8/132

I'm with astrophe on this one!!! I had a similar experience to her husband, I thought I didn't like veggies, but I just didn't like the way they were made/presented to me.

I used to be super picky as a child and a teenager...

it was going away to college and realizing that I was spending so much money on picky food that made me snap out of it.

In my first year, the friends would go to the mall and get a sandwich: chicken and mayo, the basic cheap one, but it had mayo carrots lettuce ... So I would order the roast turkey sandwich: bread, butter and a 3mm thick slice of roast turkey.

It began to bother me that they would get the set (sandwich and a drink) for 3 euros and that I would pay 5 euros just for my crappy sandwich. One day I took a bite out of their sandwiches... AND DAMN IT WAS GOOD! Now - I DO NOT RECOMMEND CHICKEN MAYO SANDWICHES AS PART OF YOUR DIET!

This made me realize that at home, my mum would cook some carrots and put them on the plate, just like that. Or some brocolli, or whatever... While I don't really appreciate vegetables by themselves, when they are mixed they are yummy!!!!

Then a friend turned vegetarian and I would sometimes go with her to a vegetarian restaurant: this introduced me to the wonderful world of herbs and what nots that make rather bland and boring food taste like heaven.

So, I suggest... You look into stir fries (but use lemon juice instead of oil, or just a little oil) and use some crushed garlic, oregano, basil pepper and whatever else smells nice to you, mix this all up and you'll be surprised...
nevaeh1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

How many vegetables are we talking about? If you still eat plenty of vegetables, then I wouldn't worry. As for the meat side of things, vegetarians manage fine, so I wouldn't worry about that either. ]

There's a diet around where you can only eat from a list of 100 foods. I think it's the Dukan diet? Anyway, I have no plan to follow it, but it got me thinking about how many foods I eat. I think I eat a nicely balanced diet, with a lot more variety than most people I know, but I probably still eat less than 100 different foods on a regular basis. I'm just talking about ingredients here, not combinations of foods. I'd guess that the vast majority of people eat a fairly small number of foods. So if I can cope as a vegetable-loving vegan who happens to dislike cauliflower, turnips and a few other veg I can't remember just now, and indeed ate a beautifully balanced diet even on that year when I was gluten-free on top of this, I'm sure you'll be fine as well. You mention eating lots of salads, so evidently there are at least some veg in your life.

Why don't you tell us which meals you do enjoy for breakfast and dinner? We may be able to help, whether it's about balancing nutrition or finding variations so that you don't get bored.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #6  

I don't usually have time to eat breakfast, so i couldn't tell you what I eat for breakfast. I do love eggs, however when I have the time to eat some and cereal too! (Kashi of course ;P)

I'm picky because the tastes of the foods I don't like just don't agree with my taste buds. I love all veggies except for green beans, and all fruits except for cantaloupe (spelling?) and mangoes.

On my salads its lettuce with shredded cheese, carrot slices, and tomatoes. For dinner I usually just eat something random from a small sandwich to another salad.
Frecklie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

You like all fruit/veg except for green beans, cantaloupe and mangoes and you think you're picky?! That is not remotely picky! (Did your parents try to make you finish your plate as a kid when it was something you loathed or something?) It sounds like you just need some good recipe books to inspire you, if your repertoire feels a bit small. I can't think of good non-bready breakfasts which can be grabbed on the run off the top of my head. Some fruit and a handful of nuts? It is also OK not to eat breakfast if you don't get on with it, incidentally. Personally I'm a porridge fan, but I'm not in a rush in the mornings.

Spinach is a good salad vegetable, by the way. Unlike lettuce, it doesn't go soggy when combined with moister ingredients such as tomatoes. Add a small tin of chick peas to that, drizzle with some olive oil and lemon juice and perhaps a few sliced olives, and you have a lovely salad. There are recipe sections in various subforums all over this place, they're worth having a look at.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote