Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 380/see ticker/194

Height: 6'2"

Default Goal... how to set is as you come down...

I am getting SO close to being done with the losing part of my journey. I wanted to ask y'all how you decided your goal #. My current goal is 194 (because that is what starts the normal weight range on BMI chart for my height), but I think that that may be a few lbs too low. I know that at my height, my doctor said that BMI really doesn't apply. I am starting to get really boney already and I think that that 8 lbs may make my face look a bit gaunt. Did y'all have flexible goals as you came down? I have just had that # in my head for so long that it is weird to think about changing it. Suggestions...
southernbelle102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #2  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

I set my personal goal because it was the lowest weight I remember seeing on a scale. By the way, this number is still considered overweight by BMI standards but I really will feel happy with that number.
I am standing and applauding you on your AMAZING accomplishment!!!
If you do not think you will like the way you look losing 8 more pounds, stop now, maintain for a while and see how you feel.
Again, I am in total AWE of you. Congrats!!!

Last edited by NEMom; 10-12-2011 at 02:19 PM.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #3  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

You have accomplished something amazing! It is incredible what you have done! One day when you have time, I would love to hear some of your strategist for staying on track.

I agree with NEMom, if you feel like the extra 8lbs may be to much then maintain for awhile. If you are happy where you are then that is all that counts.
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #4  
~Kim~

First of all congratulations on your weightloss already! That's amazing. =)

My goal was set at 150 for forever, and then a few weeks ago I was looking at the BMI chart and decided to lower to 145 to get me into the normal BMI range. Honestly, it's probably going to change again. I know the BMI is flawed and that since every body is different, normal for one person might not be normal for me. 145 is just a guideline. If I make it then Yay! If I make it to 160 and am happy there then Yay! Lowering it was really a vanity thing based on the BMI scale, but nothing is set in stone. Who knows where I'll finally find my happiness. =)

Basically the number doesn't matter, you just get to the perfect body for you and you'll be happy even if it's a completely different number than you are thinking about.

Last edited by TooManyDimples; 10-12-2011 at 02:40 PM.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

First off, you have done AMAZING!!!

Secondly, it can be hard to set a goal weight. I've adjusted mine as I've lost weight. Here on 3FC my original goal was 140, but before that it was 160. Now it's 130 and that might change as I keep going.

The important thing is where YOU feel comfortable. Do you really think you'll look too thin 8 pounds lighter? Do you think you're fine now?

Remember, it's always incredibly easy to put the weight back on if you feel you've gotten too thin
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #6  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Wow, you've done a fantastic job!!!!

I've set mine a little lower than I got last time I lost weight. I may or may not go lower. It's still really high as far as BMI is concerned. I'd stop if that is where you are comfortable.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #7  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

Height: 5'8"

I agree with those who've said stop, maintain, and see how you feel. It's absolutely okay to stop now if you feel good about where you are.

Congrats on your amazing success!
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #8  
I think I can...

OMG! Look at what you have accomplished! So amazing! I say if you feel good and look good then don't even worry about the #'s.
My goal weight I'll still be considered overweight but I know that for my structure I look really tone and fit at 180 so the #'s don't really concern me.
But congrats on such an amazing accomplishment!
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #9  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations on your success!!

DH is about your height and I think your doctor is probably right in terms of BMI. When I met him he was about 188lbs and I thought that looked too thin on him. He looked best at about 205-210lbs. Obviously, you have a different body then him but I just wanted to agree with your doc.

You know, you are so close to your goal that I think if you're happy where you're at now there is no reason to continue. Why not work on maintenance and you can always decide to lose more later if you want to.

FWIW, my goal of 140lbs is definitely NOT set in stone. I have a lot of other goals in mind that have nothing to do with the scale (although I definitely want to be at least 155lbs or less so that I'll be at a healthy BMI) so I figure I'll probably stop somewhere between 140-155lbs. I've been 140lbs before in my life and I was really happy there BUT I was a lot younger, didn't have kids at the time, and wasn't lifting so my body is quite different now!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #10  

Thanks for the input and sweet words, everyone!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:24 PM   #11  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Congrats, what an amazing journey you've had!!!

As for a goal, I kicked the concept around for a while and ended up deciding not to choose one, but rather to let my goal weight find me - when I was at a size I was happy with and no longer motivated to keep losing, I would know it's time to switch to maintenance.

Sounds to me like your goal weight has found you!! And you can always re-evaluate and try to lose more down the road, if you really want to. But why lock yourself into some arbitrary number you selected almost 180 lbs ago (Holy cow, 180 lbs!!) with no idea of how it would truly fit your body and your life?
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #12  

Thank you!
Old 10-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #13  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

First of all congrats on a great journey! And Second, BMI is not meant for individuals. It's meant for populations. Like all bell curves, there are outlyers. And your doctor is right - how many 6'2" tall women are there? And then how do you say what is "right" for that height? And even if you were much shorter, you could still be an outlyer because someone has to be in that 5% percent outside the curves (high end and low end) and even more - who the heck really cares about 5-8 pounds????? Especially at your height.

I am much shorter, but I have a large build and I think I'll end up around 165 as my final goal. Already at 180 I'm feeling my bones and seeing them too. More than 15 pounds is probably unrealistic for me, so I'm not going to try to get into my BMI range for my height. I'm just built very large - as is my son who also is outside his BMI range, but the doctors have always said he is just fine.

Now, my husband is 6'1" and he weighs 170 pounds and is NOW just right, but he's not built very big and he wants to drop another 5 pounds, so it might end up that both of our end weights is 165 pounds even though we are 6.5" apart in height. I just have to get over the fact that I'll never be smaller/lighter than my husband - and he agrees.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:25 AM   #14  

Thank you! I agree, we are all made so differently. It is really tough to make blanket goals based on height...
Old 10-14-2011, 03:09 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

I would love to see your before and after photos *hint hint*!

I think you should maintain for awhile, live in your new body, move around, look in mirrors, see how you feel.

I set my goal because I remember being that skinny only once in my life and I remember it felt good and I loved trying on clothes. I didn't consult the BMI chart. I may change my mind - but thats life. We are always changing and evolving.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote