Old 10-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/???/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Water & Weight Loss

Just a question for you all.

How do you think drinking water has affected your weight loss?

I'm in the beginning of my weight loss journey and I'm trying to up my water intake while also curbing my addiction of Diet Coke. I'm just curious to know whether or not anyone feels that water has made any difference in their weight loss.

Thanks!
MaryTylerMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #2  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

Height: 5'8"

I'm not convinced that is has had a direct, measurable effect on my weight loss but it does feel like something I can do that I know is good for my body. It feels cleansing so I keep doing it even though I'm not sure I've seen any changes in my numbers since I increased my water intake (from about 12oz/day to 100oz).
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I had trouble with water weight gain but I read that drinking more water helps prevent water weight gain, and as a plus, you ten to feel fuller .
Jamie1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #4  
Dependapotomaus, no more!

S/C/G: 259/168/145

Height: 5'4

I drink close to a gallon of water a day. I find that on days I don't get it all in my weight loss slows.
Lambiechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: ♡See Ticker♡

Height: 68"

Water will help you get rid of any water retention (weird right?) that your body might be holding onto due to dehydration, high amounts of sodium, hormones and a plethora of other causes. I think this will help you to realize your actual weight and fluctuations more clearly.
Mikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:13 AM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

I believe drinking water has prevented water weight gain for me after hard workouts It's also helped curb my appetite.

I was a boredom eater, so instead of eating when bored I now drink water. I actually wind up drinking a LOT of water this way.

I also still am addicted to Diet Coke and I haven't done anything about that I like it, so I drink a can per day and if I'm stressed I'll have two.

My ticker speaks for itself regarding all of this
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:49 AM   #7  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

For someone who's trying to lose weight water is something you should be drinking all the damn time. Even more before, during and after exercise is essential also. I'm very bitter about this fact, because water and I have never got along, we're in a very rocky relationship. There are a million other things I wish I could be drinking, things with FLAVOUR, but no - water is the miracle liquid.

However, when I have made sure I'm hydrated my weight loss is affected in a positive way. If you're approaching a period, then it's essential to drown yourself in water since that's when water retention will kick you in the a$$ and make you gain weight. So yeah, I can't really contribute anything new to this thread other than you just might as well embrace water as the main thing you will be drinking and try and put up with it! Because it really does help.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #8  
Gaining control

S/C/G: 148/131/120

Height: 5'2

I believe water has made a HUGE difference in my weight loss and on the number I see on the scale. The more I drink water, the more likely I will not bloat and hold on too weight caused my eating excess salt, or exercise, or not drinking enough water in general.

About 4 years ago, I gave up soda and juices completely. I didn't realize how THIRSTY I actually was until I stopped drinking soda and switched to water. Every time I wanted soda, I grabbed a bottle of water. And it went like that for a month until I no longer had cravings. I would drink a glass of water when I craved soda, and still be thirsty, and drink another glass. And I read several places that alot of times when you *feel* hungry, its your body telling you your are THIRSTY. So I also started drinking a glass of water every time I *felt* hungry. If the feeling was still there 10 minutes later, I would eat. But 80% of the time, it went away.

Now 4 years later, I still crave soda around my period and my boyfriend drinks it so, I will sip out of his sodas during that time. But I haven't opened, or even come close to drinking half a soda in years and it feels great.

Last edited by mamamorgan; 10-12-2011 at 09:11 AM.
mamamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #9  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I'm a heavy drinker...LOL...water, that is.

I drink at least a gallon each day, plus coffee and 1 diet pop.

I've always drank a lot, and losing weight hasn't made me drink more.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/183/140 (lowest 168)

Height: 5'7

My weight loss has slowed down since I stopped being obsessive about water. I have also, concurrently been sneaking bad food here and there into my diet, but I think the water intake affects all of that. I used to drink a great deal of water, and my goal is to restart that.
Panacea86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #11  
STREET DOG

I saw a 2L of Coke at the grocery store yesterday (rare in Japan; Coke is usually sold in 1.5L bottles) and couldn't help but buy it because it was half the price of a 1.5L. Amazingly, I got home, put it in the fridge and ignored it in favor of the 1.5L water bottle I keep on my work table. The scale thanked me this morning, to be sure.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 239/see ticker/110

Height: 4ft 11inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahokkuri View Post
I'm not convinced that is has had a direct, measurable effect on my weight loss but it does feel like something I can do that I know is good for my body. It feels cleansing so I keep doing it even though I'm not sure I've seen any changes in my numbers since I increased my water intake (from about 12oz/day to 100oz).

my cousin lost 50lbs by just starting to drink water instead of pop.... so it does help.
candice1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #13  
StrawbAriana

S/C/G: 200/140/120

Height: 5 ft 9 in

Dehydration can give your body a false feeling of hunger that's where the water comes in. Instead of eating when you're really not hungry, give your body what it really wants. Also, if you drank soda before, replacing it with water leads to weight loss because you're reducing your calorie intake. Even diet sodas cause weight gain because of the suraclose.
strawbariana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #14  
STREET DOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by candice1022 View Post
my cousin lost 50lbs by just starting to drink water instead of pop.... so it does help.
I definitely think there are benefits to water, which is why I keep drinking it. What I mean by "direct, measurable effects" is that I haven't noticed a strict negative correlation between water and weight (more water consumed one day means a lower weight the next day). Of course I believe that over the long haul it helps, especially when replacing sugared drinks with it!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 185/???/130

Thanks everyone!

I've been trying to drink more water this past week and I can tell that I feel sooo much better. While my Diet Coke cravings have not subsided, I think I may actually be starting to crave water.

It's still a hard choice to choose water over Diet Coke or to choose water over food, but I really do believe that it is helping reduce the amount of food I eat and if anything preoccupying my mouth with something calorie free.
MaryTylerMoore is offline   Reply With Quote