Old 10-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/ticker/150

Height: 5'4''

Default Help! I think I'm scared of food now!

Hi all,

I've just finished my fourth week of Atkins Induction and I'm feeling great and have lost quite a bit. The problem is I think I'm afraid to start adding other foods in again. I don't really like nuts so I don't think I'll be doing them and I know I can add some berries in but after that I'm feeling kind of stuck. What kind of things did you guys start adding back? What's the longest you would recommend staying in the induction with just the salad/veggies, protein, and hard cheeses?

And has anyone else almost started to feel phobic about other foods? How did you handle it? Is it a good thing to keep you from cheating or do you think it becomes unhealthy?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by kylonaa; 10-06-2011 at 03:47 PM.
kylonaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #2  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

First of all, great job on your weight loss-it's not easy.

Second of all, the thought of being afraid of food is crazy talk. At this point, don't fear adding in your Phase 2 foods, just be mindful. Plan ahead, portion your foods and breathe. Now, you will be eating primarily natural, unprocessed foods, you will find an increasing number of convenience foods – choices that help even busy people stay on track. (from the atkins site)

I promise, you'll be ok. Just visit sites that offer lower carb options for meals and snacks. And berries and cream?! YUM!!!
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #3  
Who Dat!

S/C/G: 289.6/245.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, that worries me too...and I also want to know how long is too long on induction. I have only been on it since Monday, but I have so much weight to lose that I want to do it a little longer than 2 weeks.
veroden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #4  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

I have been on Inductoin for many months at a time. I also have moved onto OWL after a month. The very best thing to do is add one new thing at a time back weekly. I know it's kind of a slow process, but you will get a feel for what you can eat and still maintain weight loss without blowing it and having to start over. Best wishes
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 264/264/199

Height: 5'10"

I'm also hesitant over this phase. Like was said, I think i have to start planning ahead a bit more. Today, for example, I only managed to consume 7 grams of carbs. I had 3 eggs for breakfast; 2 sausages w/chunk of cheese for lunch; i had fried chicken breast for supper; and i just finished a handful of almonds and more cheese for a snack.

I have my iPhone app set for 25 grams each day now, but am not too consistent yet. Yesterday i may have had 26 or 27 grams of carbs though. I ended my night with a few spoons of some kind of frozen whipped cream...it was like eating ice cream...only 5 grams of carbs per 3 spoons...i dragged those three out! lol

Anyway, back on track...is this phase as simple as choosing to add 1/4 cup of strawberries each day for a week and then adding something else? I never tried this part before...i love induction, it's easier...
SaskNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

I think going out of induction is a good time to start adding in a little exercise to off set the carbs you start to add back. I don't remember how the carb ladder runs, but I do know you only add a few per week, until weight loss slows.

Sask: I've always understood the minimum for carbs was 10, but I don't know how true that really is. I wouldn't worry about it if you feel fine, and ate as much as you wanted and were too low. I see you've set a new goal, good luck.

I understand being afraid of food, BUT one errant bite won't make you fat any more than one good bite makes you thin. Food is too big a part of our lives to avoid everything always, but keep it in line best you can, and my rule is only break down when it's something worth it. But then, we're not talking break down, we're talking strawberries. Girl, eat a strawberry or a blueberry. I don't think most folks are overweight from over eating fruits (no, fruit pop tarts don't count). 5 carbs worth of berries is ok, and if the weight loss stops, return to induction.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/ticker/150

Height: 5'4''

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm on week 7 now and still losing steadily. I'm not quite as freaked out about it anymore and settling into the new way of eating. I've found that having a small amount of carrots in my soup or ONE chip at the Mexican restaurant or trying ONE fork of cake once a week doesn't magically make the weight pile back on. And the crazy thing is I can stop after that one taste and not even think about it! I also realized with the amount of veggies and salad I'm eating, I'm way above the 20g level- more like at 50g. So as long as I keep on where I'm at I feel good about it all.
kylonaa is offline   Reply With Quote