Old 10-05-2011, 12:03 AM   #1  

Unhappy Hating all the vegetables!

This is my 3rd week and already I can't stand the site of another vegetable. (yuck)

I am not the biggest vegetable fan, so I am really having a hard time eating all of these. I would kill for an apple or a yogurt about now. I have tried cutting up veggies and keeping them at my desk. I have tried putting them in the soups and even tried hiding them in some of the food, but I am still really bored with all of these veggies and I almost gag at the sight of one about now. I am following the program for the most part and eating all of the protein foods and meat, eggs and some veggies, but I know I am not eating enough.

Help!!! How am I going to survive 6 weeks of this?

Mickey
mickey2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #2  
Fresh start

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2011 View Post
This is my 3rd week and already I can't stand the site of another vegetable. (yuck)

I am not the biggest vegetable fan, so I am really having a hard time eating all of these. I would kill for an apple or a yogurt about now. I have tried cutting up veggies and keeping them at my desk. I have tried putting them in the soups and even tried hiding them in some of the food, but I am still really bored with all of these veggies and I almost gag at the sight of one about now. I am following the program for the most part and eating all of the protein foods and meat, eggs and some veggies, but I know I am not eating enough.

Mickey
I totally know the feeling - but we don't have a choice, I get frozen veggies and try to combine them with broccoli soup, try to mix them with my omelets, etc... I've heard that if you don't stick to the program and eat less your body will not get the same results... I'm sticking the idea into my head that this is not gonna be forever, just for a couple months.. and that's it! Good luck to you!
foreveryoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 244 / 178 / 190 w/ muscle

Height: 5'11

Sometimes when I plan on having a lot of veggies for a meal, I have a TINY bit of mashed potatoes with them. Then I mix a little bit of mashed potatoes with each veggie bite, and that totally makes it easier to eat virtually any veggie.

I'm not sure whether or not mashed potatoes are in your plan at all, but maybe you could substitute it with something else even. Just wanted to share my thoughts and what works for me =). Good Luck!

*EDIT*
Yeesh, I didn't noticed this was posted in the IP diet thread... scratch the potatoes lol

Last edited by Wayne W; 10-05-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Wayne W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/120/122

Height: 5' 5"

Um, the vegetables are kind of a key component here, kids...as in a lifelong component, so y'all better either suck it up or start getting creative. There are LOTS of good vegetables out there, and after you get past Phase 3, you can have all the higher glycemic index ones that are restricted until then. (Like mashed potatoes, which are an absolute no-no until then.) And yes, if you don't eat all your veggies, it WILL affect your weight loss. Here are some recipes that might help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IP Basic Recipes.pdf (163.2 KB, 85 views)
Lilivonshtupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:19 AM   #5  
Started IP Aug 9/2011

S/C/G: 266/195

Height: 5' 7"

I'm not a huge varieyt veggie fan, I'm eating Broccoli, Asparagus Green Beans (twice a week) and Celery & Cucumbers for lunch. I miss Corn & Carrots but I've been doing good on those veggies.

Which veggies to you sort of like? Perhaps there are some prep methods we can help with those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne W View Post
I'm not sure whether or not mashed potatoes are in your plan at all
Potatoes are defiantly not part of the IP diet in any amount.
Y Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #6  
Started IP 08/05/2011

S/C/G: 181/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I completely agree... vegetables were never my favorite. I have found that spices are the secret. As long as your spice doesn't have sugar or MSG, you are good to go. My favorite is and Orange Lemon Pepper on zucchini grilled on my George Foreman Grill, which has quite the kick. And I hadn't used that grill in like ten years!

Also, if you are craving fruit, you must try rhubarb! I had never tried it before, but was game for anything when I started the diet! It tastes like baked apples. Just saute it in a little water, add a couple packets of Splenda and a little cinnamon... mmmmm. I swear I wouldn't have been able to do this diet without my rhubarb! You can also steam it in the microwave. You can do it alot, and it's got a little bit of a bitter firm taste (like apples), or "overdo" it and turn it into a sort of applesauce.

Good luck. Don't give up. You'll eventually find a vegetable that you can tolerate.
lilypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 182.6/142.8/135

Height: 5.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2011 View Post

Mickey
I just had to comment because that was soooo me at the beginning. I didn't think I would make it because I was literally forcing the veggies down. Now I cannot get enough and wish I could have far more than 4 cups and have to limit myself! So, it could get better if you stick with it and keep looking for new recipes on here. Thanks to the person who suggested that orange lemon pepper on zucchini, that sounds delicious! Also, yes eating too little is as detrimental as eating too much as the previous poster said. The sheet states must be followed no more or no less for a reason!
wildflower613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #8  
OP 6/5/11

S/C/G: 252/197/195

Height: 6'3"

The secret for me is: Steam the veggies and not too long - 6 minutes for yellow squash, zucchini, and broccoli - then salt, pepper, spray butter substitute (don't go crazy with this stuff 5 sprays is one serving, if you go way overboard, say 20 or 30 sprays, you are adding fat calories), and then Tony Chacchere's Famous Creole Seasoning. The seasoning makes a big difference.

Good luck.
kellyg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #9  
Started IP Aug 9/2011

S/C/G: 266/195

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyg53
Tony Chacchere's Famous Creole Seasoning.
Sweet, I haven't tried that one, like the nutrition label too! All zeros!

Last edited by Y Guy; 10-05-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Y Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #10  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

I use the soup packages as seasoning to my boiled veggies, this way I get kind of a mashed potato plate for my lunch. I rarely used soup as soup I always use it this way, it makes it easier for me to enjoy my vegetables.
sandralosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #11  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyg53 View Post
The secret for me is: Steam the veggies and not too long - 6 minutes for yellow squash, zucchini, and broccoli - then salt, pepper, spray butter substitute (don't go crazy with this stuff 5 sprays is one serving, if you go way overboard, say 20 or 30 sprays, you are adding fat calories), and then Tony Chacchere's Famous Creole Seasoning. The seasoning makes a big difference.

Good luck.
I grew up on Tony's, So glad I didn't have to give him away when I started this program. Tony's makes EVERYTHING taste good....lol
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #12  
3 lbs at a time!

S/C/G: 203/188/140

Height: 5'4"

You also mention that you want yogurt, have you tried the IP wildberry yogurt? I love it and almost have it everyday for breakfast.

On the veggie side I honestly can't give any advice, I have always loved veggies.
YvetteSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I agree with the spices. I eat everyday at either lunch or dinner, 2 cups of zucchini sliced thin. I put garlic granules, oregano, sea salt and pepper and bake them until a little crispy. I don't know what I'd do without it, as the broccoli and cauliflower give my stomach an ache eating 2 cups at a time. The one way I do get it in is to steam and add to the broccoli-cheese soup. I love veggies, but 2 cups of some are overwhelming to my system
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #14  
Dee2

S/C/G: 196/186/145 (JC 5-11)

Height: 5'4

I have been putting 2 cups of spinach in to my shakes and blending them up with water and ice. YUMMMY!! Sure gets in my serving of veggies without even trying
Dee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #15  
Maintaining since 11/8/11

S/C/G: 170/141.5/140

Height: 5'7"

Try baked kale! There are a lot of recipes on this forum, and mine is pretty simple and easy. I tear the kale into good sized pieces, wash and then dry it in my salad spinner, toss it with olive oil and sea salt and bake for 10 minutes at 350. After 10 min., I take the the cookie sheet out and turn the pieces. It helps to cover the cookie sheet with foil. I then bake another 5 min. They come out crispy and a little brown. They are DELICIOUS! Be sure to measure out 2 cups uncooked, they shrink and you can very easily eat too many. My husband, who is not doing IP, absolutely loves them. I can't wait until phase 4 when I can eat more than 2 cups!
pink parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote