Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 06:48 PM   #1  

Default food and mood

Hi there,
I'm new here, I recently came across this website and it seems like a really good environment. A little bit about myself: I'm 23 years old, female, and am in the process of losing weight. Over the past year I've lost about 40 lbs. or so, with another 20-25 more to go. In any case, the thing that seems to hold me back is emotional eating. I didn't used to be a very social person (no boyfriend ever, not many friends, I always stayed in when there WAS an invitation...), but since I've lost some weight I seem to be willing to go out more, and be more social. However, just when things start rolling (I meet a new friend, I make more plans to get out), I start with the food again and gain back 10 lbs. (the last 10 of the lost 40 I'm constrantly yo-yo-ing with); then I refuse to step out of the house, and make excuses as to why I can't go out. I worry that this will drive people away, particularly new friends, "normal" folks who would probably think I'm wierd for eating my heart out and gaining 10 lbs. in less than a week and then refusing to be seen!! This has been happening on and off for the past few months. I've been trying to open up my world, beginning with my social life, but I seem to always be getting in my own way! I don't know what to do, other than keep trying. But I really want to get over this hurdle; I feel so freakish because if someone hasn't seen me for 2 weeks, they'll look at me funny because I've either lost or gained 10 pounds or so (sometimes more!!). Anyways, I just wanted to get that off my chest, so thanks for reading my (lengthy) post.

Take care
Old 02-03-2003, 08:25 AM   #2  
Peg

Wink

Hi Goodgurrl and welcome to this sight, this is a great place to come and tell all that you want, just like you did, your welcome to come in anytime, as often as you need, all of us here have one issue or another, thats why we come here and talk.

I have feelings just like you do, with socializing and making new friends, I've been like this my whole life, I'm no therapist, and maybe speaking out of turn, but, when you mention that when things start rolling for you, you start with eatting again, could it be something you don't feel comfortable with the sociaizing, or the atmosphere your in, or the people/person? I tend to be that way also, I have a lot of old fashion values and morals that most people now days think is unusual, I keep my values and morals no matter what.
I apologize if this is out of line, but I do relate to people and socializing and how it can make you feel, I'm sure your a very nice person, with morals and values, just keep your head held high.

Take Care of you

Last edited by ladypal; 02-03-2003 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:32 PM   #3  

Hi Ladypal!! Thanks for the welcome and the reply

You're definitely right about a few things; I feel uncomfortable in some social situations, so I tend to isolate myself and I eat in order to feel a kind of warmth and fulfillment, I guess. Also, lately (probably the past year or so), I've been feeling ready to be in a relationship with a guy (for the first time in my life!), and that's something that kind of scares and worries me; I don't really know how to go about it, and also, when I do find someone that I feel comfortable with, he probably won't like the fact that I plan to wait until marriage to....well, you know So I'm totally holding myself back here, and the lack of companionship makes me feel lonely (and then I eat!!!).

Anyhow, thanks for your kind and thoughtful reply
Take care Ladypal!!
Old 02-04-2003, 12:00 AM   #4  
Peg

Thats a good thing that you feel ready now, your at a good age to start looking for the right guy, I just want to say two things, if the guy is respectable and mature, he'll agree to wait.

The next thing, good guys are in churches, which ever religion you may be; just a thought.

My husband and I have been married for 18 years, we know 9 couples, all are divorced, they married very young, I'd have to say, some suprised me, thought some would stay together forever.

I know a few that waited until they were about your age to marry, didn't rush into having children, do attend a church and still are married.
Closed Thread