Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #1  
MsWannaBSlim

S/C/G: 230/179/159 lbs

Height: 5' 4"

Default BMI - new goal and a bit of frustration

So far so good. I'm on the right track besides the usual challenges (bad cold, busy with kids, dh who eats chips in front of me from time to time ). I figured I'd calculate my BMI. No surprise, I'm "Obese". Sounds like such a harsh word. I don't feel "obese". I know I'm for sure overweight, but OBESE? I guess I am. In order to move from obese to "overweight" I need to reach 179lbs so I changed my goal from 180 to 179 - no big deal and hey, I would love to be merely "overweight"

I figured for kicks I'd enter my weight when I was at my lowest (115lbs) and at that I was "underweight". I was at a low point in my life. Not taking care of myself, seriously despressed. I was NOT healthy and there is no way I could have sustained that weight and been mentally and physically fit in the long run.

What really cheesed me off though, is when I weighed that little I was treated differently by society in general. For one thing I got so much attention from men, at times it verged on annoying ("stop looking at my that way PIG!" What can I say, I was also a cynic). This is frustrating because I always hear men say they don't like skinny chicks, "it's gross", they like a little meat on the bones etc., but when it comes down to it I found this to be totally untrue!

Also, society in general treated me differently. I realize this is probably no big surprise to most people but I can personally attest to it. I had an easier time getting jobs, I got better service at restaraunts, stores, and people in general were much more 'approachable' than when I was at my heaviest (240lbs).

What's the point of this rant? I suppose it's to accept that we are what we are as society - judgemental. Acceptance first right? I can't say I'm innocent. I know I have deep seeded biases that I attempt to arrogantly renounce. I suppose all of this has led me to remind myself when I make judgements on others for their weight (over or under) to perhaps most importantly, demonstrate this for my children, and remind them not to judge people based on weight.
MsWannaBSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

Yes- "skinny" in the western world is a highly valued commodity that is quite hard to buy.

It is a symbol for good health, self-discipline, good genes, being a hard worker, happiness, etc. ...

And despite the fact that the majority of the western world is at LEAST in the overweight category, we still hold 'skinny' or lean to be of high value.

I feel like I have to play the game, too. I mean at my heaviest (230), I was unacceptable. But, around 170 I start fitting into the normal BMI. However, I want to be considered for more jobs, more respected by people,... it is definitely influencing me to focus on getting rid of some vanity pounds.

Getting rid of the vanity pounds makes my running hobby lighter, so that is how I justify it, I suppose.

That's just the way it is. There is a plus-size model moving trying to happen - maybe that will change things a bit in regards to what we consider healthy to be.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote