Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-03-2011, 04:27 AM   #1  
I will get fit.

S/C/G: 178/171/120

Height: 5'1"

Unhappy Zoloft and hating life

Hey, I'm Ali, 17-years old and I have been struggling with my weight and depression since I was young. I've gone back and forth between 155 and 178 for several years. I know that I'm young and that my body is changing, but I really need some support right now. :c

I have been taking Zoloft for nearly a year and I have only been gaining weight since I've been on it. I'm too embarrassed to talk to my doctor (pediatrician) about losing weight. I have struggled with Bulimia for a while and no one in my family seems to take me seriously. I have made a few suicide attempts in my past, I have gone days without eating, I have eaten thousands of calories in one day and I'm at the point where I want to be gone. I want to live a happy healthy life. :c Anyone who is going through, or has gone through similar situations, I would love to talk to you. Even if your situation isn't the same I would still feel better having someone who is unbiased to talk to.

Also, having a hard time finding where I should be in this site. Is this a site for people who are normally older than me? Does anyone have any recommendations for teen support sites that deal with depression and weight loss? Thanks. ♥
Peachy Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

Hi Peachy, first a virtual hug! Sounds like you have a lot on your plate. I think that it's important for you to talk to your doctor about your eating. It's possible that a different medication will work better for you, or there may be some other resources that would help. If you don't want to talk to the dr, do you have a school counselor or teacher you would feel comfortable with? You don't have to say "I want to lose weight" - maybe something like "I feel like I have a hard time controlling what I eat" or along those lines might be easier. Or try a different tactic with your parents... Maybe write them a note or something. It sounds to me like the zoloft is a good first step for you and I am glad for that, and I really hope that you can get to a place where you feel more comfortable with yourself. Take care and good luck
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #3  
I will get fit.

Thanks, Juliana. I already have a doctor's appointment scheduled in a month for another check-up on my medicine and I think that I'll talk to her then. I want to try to get on the weight loss track by myself one more time before I start seriously talking with her and my family about it. I'll try to say something along the lines of "I have a hard time controlling what I eat" because it seems a lot easier than "I want to lose weight". Thanks a lot for the help.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/184/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi Peachy,

Here's a virtual hug for you {{Peachy Pie}}
Gaining weight while on antidepressants is a known problem, especially Zoloft and Seroxat. You also struggle with bulimia. Perhaps you could ask your docter to switch to Prozac?
Annalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #5  
Dependapotomaus, no more!

S/C/G: 259/168/145

Height: 5'4

I gained 30 lbs in the 9 months I was on Zoloft. I only think it made me more depressed. I would definitely talk to your doctor about switching drugs.
Lambiechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:20 AM   #6  
I will get fit.

Would my doctor still switch me off of Zoloft if I have social anxiety? One of the reasons that I am on Zoloft is to deal with my social anxiety and I don't know if other drugs treat that. But whatever they do, what they are doing now just isn't working.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #7  
I Need Accountablity!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

I gained weight too....Zoloft takes time to.......... work. I feel calm. I am also taking a multiple vitamin for the last month. I started losing the weight at the end of August. I feel better than I did 3 years ago. I am now losing the weight I felt Zoloft was responsible for....I too did not feel like Zoloft was not working.
WannaBeLoserAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 280/183/140 (lowest 168)

Height: 5'7

Anti-depressants need constant monitoring, it's best to tell your doctor how you feel, and note any changes. Your thoughts and feelings are important, especially on a pill like this- it causes so many side effects. Weight gain and thoughts of suicide can be among them for some. Don't be embarrassed, it's your life, it's your experience of existence, and these people are paid to help that.

I gained 30lbs in 3 weeks on Effexor, and 15lbs in 3 weeks on Wellbutrin, so I know the feeling...I was up 45lbs and decided then never to take an anti-depressant again, but if you're proactive, you can counteract that gain.
Panacea86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/183/140 (lowest 168)

Height: 5'7

And just my semi-professional 2 cents- anxiety is something that can be worked through without medication. Mood and personality disorders do seem to require medication. That is not to say you can or should attempt this, but just know that social anxiety is a thinking problem as much as a chemical problem, if not moreso. Counseling and working on your thought patterns are aimed to help you long term, and without the side effects of medication. It's about taking control of the thoughts that lead you to fearing social situations.
Panacea86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 329/319/140

Height: 5'6

First, you're really brave for coming here and talking about this problem, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. I recently started taking Zoloft myself and while I'm trying to give the medication a chance I do worry about the side effects. However, the minute you begin having suicidal thoughts, it's best to tell your family or doctor immediately. Chances are, it's a side effect from the medication. And Zoloft is not the only drug that can treat social anxiety. Depression and Anxiety are disorders that take a lot of adjusting to figure out the right treatment plan for you. It's important to talk to your doctor about what is and isn't working for you!
lushless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

I was on zoloft for social anxiety. It was a good bandaid at the time, but in the long run I did not start to learn to socialize until I went off of medication and began to practice in difficult social situations. Also, it made me gain weight like mad : \
doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:01 AM   #12  
menophause sucks

Height: 5' 4'

wow I am a lot older than you but i was you at your age, it is a difficult time
my bulimia was a secret, back then and i did over come it, but it is still some what of a secret, i remember very well i couldn't tell my parents or any one
i just got so sick of it one day i quit but it consumed me four about four years,
I remember i looked up a eating disorder group went once and quit, but please find some one you can talk to it does take over your life and life is to short once i quit i lost weight and keep it off till i got pregnant, when you purge it makes you fat, but its hard to change your mind set i think binging has a lot to do with being lonely and wanting to full yourself up with anything, love yourself and love will happen if you need support i would love to help
hiharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:11 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 158/ticker/115

Height: 5'6

Hey Peachy, this site is for people of ALL ages who are seeking a healthy life. I give you kudos and want to say that you sound wise past your years for wanting to get all this in order. When I was 17 (this was before Zoloft was invented I think) my family doc grabbed a handful of my belly fat and told me I needed to lose weight. I did not learn to eat healthfully until I was away at college at 19. If he is not receptive talking about it, please try to find another physician who is. Is there a counselor or nurse at school who could assist you quietly? Or a group? One of my friends goes to Food Addicts Anonymous. It's a terrible name, I know, but she is healthy and slim (now) and a friend she took lost 40 lbs in the last year! I think it is also free of charge.

When I was overweight and 17 I just didn't have the tools or support to figure it out. I think it's really important to be honest and mention the past bulimia -- but it's clear that you're really interested in living in a healthy and balanced way. Welcome and keep posting here -- it really helps!!
crimsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:14 AM   #14  
menophause sucks

also I have been off and on zolof for years and i have a 21 yr old son that is battling social anxiety I stopped taking Zoloft thinking it made me gain but last year i went on 17 day diet and lost and i was on Zoloft the most important thing is is it helping you it helped me and you can loose on it or gain i think it is all how you eat and exercise when your un happy it hard to lose weight plus Zoloft is good for bulimia monitor yourself
Old 10-27-2011, 02:26 AM   #15  
menophause sucks

also i applaud you for even going to a doctor, that takes a lot of courage with social anxiety, and bulimia, that shows me you do want help life will get better and easier just keep looking for the thing that will help you, only you
have the control over yourself there are a lot of great books to help you go to the library I BELIEVE IN YOU