40-Somethings - 40-Something Chat/Accountability All Welcome!

Pages : [1] 2

patchworkpenguin
10-01-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm still hacking and coughing. I can't sleep which isn't helping either my energy or my state of mind! Stupid allergies. My dad on the other hand is doing great and recovering well from his heart surgery.

Ashley, I've noticed a lot of thread and other forums are slowing down. I think this is just a busy time. I'm sure it will pick back up and everyone will be back when things settle down.

fruitlady
10-02-2011, 07:52 PM
patch- I've been coughing for two weeks w/ my cold. You feel like crap if you can't sleep! hope you feel better soon!

I've been exercising everyday in some way, the weather got chilly all of a sudden. Still working on maintaining between 114-118lbs. It's alot easier than trying to maintain at ten pounds less. I think this is the right range for me. Still cooking everyday, all my meals are prepared in advance. This is working real well for me. I don't even want to buy junk, I bake my own sweets!

Ashley777
10-03-2011, 12:34 PM
PP - hope you feel better, great to hear of your dad's recovery!

FL - sounds like your doing well, way to go on the exercise too!

I had a bad sat food wise but once again back at it. Just can't give up have to keep on going.
Finally went through my clothes and got rid of 4 garbage bags full. I am not a hoarder in anyway as I love my house clean and in order but for some reason I cannot get rid of clothes, they were all in boxes downstairs and a few upstairs and got rid of stuff I will never wear again even if they do fit and and stuff I just don't like anymore as I have bought a few new things. My dresser is full as well l but now mostly with things I will wear and a few of my favs that are still a bit tight. I even sent two shirts back to Khols with my stepdaughter when she left as they still had tags on them and I have never worn them.

slimby402012
10-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi, I will be 40 next March, so I hope it's ok to join you guys! My reason for trying to get in shape is to at least look and feel better for my 40th birthday. Although the main reason is to be here for my kids! I have a 14 and 2 year old who I want to be around for a long time. I'm doing WW and just joined a gym. (We'll see if I can motivate myself to go! LOL)
My DH just made an appt for me tomorrow at the gym for their "personal training" schedule for me. He's goin in on Thursday although he's a toothpick! Gotta love it! :)
I"m definitely an emotional eater so once the stress comes on, it's like the food appears in my hand. So I'm trying hard to distinguish between being actually hungry and just upset. I have a Mom who has a bad heart, Alzheimer's, brain aneurysm, and really bad osteoporosis in her spine. My sister and brother both have MS and are in wheelchairs, so my plate is full! Not to mention dealing with the terrible twos and a teenager! LMAO :)
So I hope you guys don't mind me cutting in. I'm just trying to find some friends on this site for support and to chat with.

Thanks!! Have a great day!:df:

Ashley777
10-03-2011, 03:32 PM
welcome - slimby40- I am sorry to hear about your mom and siblings that must be very hard.

you have a teenager and a two year old (forgive me while I laugh uncontrolably)...... I am sorry it is just real funny, my kids are grown so I know the trials and huge trials they were! does the teenager ever act like the two year old or vice versa?

I wish you the best in your journey, sounds great that your hubby is going with you too, you are very fortunate to have that!

guacamole
10-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Feel better PP and fruitlady!

Welcome slimby402012!

Nice to see you here Ashley!

I am just checking in to keep myself accountable. I have a bit of a stomach bug going on, so that is keeping my diet on track somewhat! One good thing about feeling sick. One bad thing is that one of my kids also has it, so instead of pampering myself, I gotta take a licking and keep on ticking. It's tough to be the mom when you are sick.

Ashley777
10-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Guac, it sure is tough to be a mom when you are sick. There are no 'sick days' for sure. Although I do like having a stomach bug as it can keep us on track for sure, as long as it is not the pukey kind.

Had popcorn for dinner last night, with butter. I know this isnt normal dinner food but i enjoyed it while watching a movie and hubby was out so had the house to myself (which is rare) it was nice to not beat myself up and enjoy an evening to myself with my popcorn. Getting ready to go for lunch workout, have been working out harder and feeling stronger which is great. I have a mini workout on the way to work and can now walk all the stairs on the way here whereas before I could only do 3 escalators now I can walk up all four Yay... and they are like mega escalators bigger then usual i think because the are underground.

patchworkpenguin
10-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Still not feeling great. I get this sinus problems twice every year so its no big surprise; spring and fall, when the pollen counts are high and the weather is changing. The two years I lived near Seattle I didn't even get a snuffle, but most everyone gets this to some degree or another just living here.

Guac, Hubby has been very good about helping me around the house since I'm not feeling 100%, but the only thing he won't do is wash dishes. Can he not see them piling up???

Slim, welcome, glad to have you join us!

Ashley, good job on getting rid of the clothes.

FL, good job on finding a range you enjoy, the great meals, and the exercise!

patchworkpenguin
10-04-2011, 09:40 PM
The good news about being sick is I have a lot of time to knit. My friend's son and DIL just discovered at 5 months they are having twins. So I needed to make another baby outfit to 'match' the first one. This one is a darker green.

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj427/penguinspics/001-2.jpg
http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj427/penguinspics/002-2.jpg The hat looks like a cactus:p but will stretch to fit baby's head. I try to make them sized closer to 8 months.

Ashley777
10-05-2011, 01:21 PM
pp - well at least you have time to knit - twins yikes. What a cute outfit. Hope your feeling better soon.

we just got news hubbies youngest daughter is going into a residential care place, its a great place looked at it online, as she lives with his sister far far away from us in the U.S. We are praying that somehow he could go visit her before she goes but we don't have any money to get him there and back and who knows it may be harder for her if she sees him right now as this has been an issue in the past with both him and her aunt and uncle.

Moondance
10-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Hello Wednesday.
PP: Cute outfit! And how special that you're hand-knitting them!

Ashley: Hope the residential care place works out. Sorry your DH can't visit like he wants to. Oh...and yea on the escalator thing! Keep it up and soon you'll be doing them without thinking!

Guac: hope you're feeling better soon. No day's off for mommies!

So I gathered all my breakfast foods and plugged them into the counter. Holy cow...my breakfast has too many calories!! Sheesh. I'm going to have to rethink this meal. The real killer is the granola in my yogurt. I really need the fiber, but not the calories. May have to find a different brand/kind.

Have a lovely day!

patchworkpenguin
10-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Oct 5,
B= 2 c milk, vits, cereal
L=roast beef, fruit salad
S= carrots and spicy ranch
D= stew, 1 bread
S= choc muffin, milk, nyquil!
E= 46min cardio

back to logging food and exercise!

AnnieDrews
10-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Hi ladies! I am going to try to better on checking in. I MIGHT be back to losing, I'll see what the scale says tomorrow. I SO want to change that ticker!! Food seems to be evening out. I just need to find a wider variety of the healthier home cooking meals. I baked chicken breast the other night and it turned out so good....just a simple recipe, but it was just perfect.

We have a big football game this weekend. Thought I was going to have a houseful but that has changed and that's probably a good thing. I won't make as much junk to eat that way.

I've started a new hobby and it is taking up part of my spare time and I am loving it. Once I get started I forget about wanting to snack too much. I am doing soap crafting with melt-and-pour soap. It is so fun! I have a bunch of Halloween soaps made up and am going to bring them to work next week to see if anyone is interested in buying them.

Welcome to our new sisters!

Moondance-Good for you for calculating your breakfasts. Granola is a tricky one. I love it, but I just can't find a place for it. Too much fat and too many calories.

P.S. I've had a cough for over a month from the cold I had back in Sept. Driving me crazy, but slowly improving.

guacamole
10-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Hi everyone! Annie - I wish I was crafty! I can't do anything artsy...and it would be a nice distraction from snacking!

Just checking in. Having a so-so week food wise. Could be better but could be worse. I don't feel like I have lost any weight.

My legs, back, and neck have been aching. I feel like a creaky old lady - I guess I am one! I have been taking Advil almost every day for the past week. It does help, but the aches come back again as soon as it wears off. Haven't been exercising...I know that is the key to weight loss, but I haven't been able to make it happen yet.

Moondance
10-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Happy Thursday!
Annie-post pics of your soaps. They sound darling! :sklol:
Guac-hope you're up for some exercise soon! :exercise:

Still tracking calories and making adjustments (goodbye peanut butter on my english muffin :cry:). I'm feeling pretty good about Monday's official start. :dance::yay::cheer2: The really good news is I got on the scale this morning and I was down 7 pounds from the last time I weighed. I'll keep my starting number at 205...it'll make me feel better!

I thought these boards were more active...is it just the time of year?:?:

AnnieDrews
10-06-2011, 05:03 PM
The boards just seem to go through cycles. I was pretty religious about posting here except for the last several weeks. Trying to get back in the habit as it is really helpful to me to be accountable and have others for support.

fruitlady
10-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Hi all!

Doing alot of cooking & baking, been so busy. Halloween being my favorite holiday, I make the whole month about Halloween! It's been hard staying on track w/ my food, went over my calorie limit everyday this week. I would say 80% is healthy food every week, 20% is junk. My weight is at the top end of my personal red line, at least it's not getting out of control. Exercising a bit more everyday, hoping it helps keep my weight down, while eating more. So far it's working!

patchworkpenguin
10-09-2011, 12:26 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oct 7
B= 2 c cranberry juice
L= roast beef sand
S= sliced pears
D= Pizza night! I had leftover steak so I added that to spicy ranch, chedder, peppers/onions and rosemary. Very good!
S= cereal, banana
E= none

We eat dinner fairly early around 5pm {when Hubby gets home from work} so sometimes we get hungry again before bed. Thinking of changing dinner time but its a hard habit to change.

Oct 8
B= 2 c milk, vits
L= Chickfila grilled wrap, honey mustard sauce
S= Snickers, mug coffee
D= Datenight! Longhorn's grilled Parm chicken sandwich, sweet potato with cinn but very little butter, 1 bread/butter
E= none

Annie, I spend a lot of time knitting/crocheting because I can't do that and eat at the same time!!!

FL, at least the majority of what you eat is healthy!

Moondance, great job on the 7lbs!

Guacamole, sorry about the aches and pains!

patchworkpenguin
10-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Good news about the Mom and Twins. They are all doing well. Dad did make it there from Brazil, Mom is in a very nice teaching hospital where they are taking good care of her and the boys. She has to stay flat on her back right now to keep the twins settled, not sure how long that will last.

We bought a new mattress a few months ago, and spent more than we expected so didn't buy a new boxspring until yesterday when they had a good sale. boy, what a diffference that made!! Hubby texted me that he got a good nights sleep AND his back feels normal again! I guess that's the point behind a 'firm foundation!"

I'm feeling much better today and hope to get in a Leslie walk. I have the AC off and a window fan running, along with a few windows open.

Oct 9
B= 2 c milk, vits
L= Jason's Big Joe, broc cheese soup, blue chips
D= homemade Smothered Meatloaf, potatoes, carrots {very yummy crockpot meal!} And we ate later than usual!
S= 2 pb cookies, milk
E= does changing out a boxspring and vacuuming under the bed count? as well as shopping.

Moondance
10-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Happy Monday!

After 6 days of tracking, tweaking, analyzing, etc., Today is Day One. :flow2:
Offical weigh in = 200 lbs (gained a couple back over the weekend because of my birthday!).

So far the hardest part is finding low cal snacks that actually fill me up.

guacamole
10-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Happy birthday Moondance! Just checking in....feeling scared to weigh myself, but know it must be done soon! Whenever I stop weighing in, I put on a few pounds....so, better to know and control it....

Ashley777
10-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Moondance - I think I saw in an earlier post you wanted something other thatn granola to put in your yougurt. Bran buds works realy well and it is good and extremely high in fibre.

Guac - I feel the same way about weighing in but it has to be done then we can get on track. I am scared to weigh now as I know I have lost a few pounds put I am afraid it might only be like 2, but 2 is better then nothing!

PP - it really is nice to have a good bed. Sleeping at night makes all the difference in the world.

woke up with a sore throat and it is getting worse as the day goes on. Sneezing is regular and I am feeling crappier then this morning. I may stay home from work tomorrow but felt I couldnt today as I already had a 4 day weekend and felt guilty not coming in. Grandkids noses were snotty on Sun and they were sneezing, I was hoping I would not get whatever they had but seems I am. Ate too much over the weekend on two of the days, I think mostly out of bordem although I was not bored. Had thanksgiving on Sun at my moms and she had a ham as most of the family was not there. I was soooo looking forward to a turkey but I have one at home and will cook it next weekend. On the bright side i did not eat to much at dinner as I dont like cabbage rolls or the chinese coleslaw she had and dont like pumkin pie so only ate a bit of ham and some carrots and a small amount of mashed potatoes.

Moondance
10-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Happy Tuesday!
Guac: Knowledge is power! *nudge nudge*
Ashley: Sounds like you've caught the cold. Bummer. Hope you feel better.

I had no idea carrots have as many calories as they do. Luckily I can have lots of the snap peas I LOVE.

patchworkpenguin
10-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Oct 11
B- 2 c cranberry juice, banana, raisin bran
L=1/2 turkey and fruit
D=pot roast patty melt sandwich, veggie soup
S= 6 fun sized Butterfingers {ooops}
E=none

Oct 12
B= 2 c milk, vits, banana
L=1/2 turkey, fruit
S= 2 fun sized Butterfingers
D=Smothered Meatloaf, carrots
S= cereal
E= 50min cardio

guacamole
10-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Quick check in.....still scared to weigh in! I have eaten horribly over the weekend! Relatives are in from out of town, so things will be kooky over the next week. When everyone goes home - 10/24 - I am going to start writing down everything I eat and drink.

On to the good news...my relatives, who haven't seen me since the spring, all commented on their own how much thinner I look. Not sure if it is true...but it's nice to hear!

Ashley777
10-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Way to go guac, of course its true if they all said it and clearly by your ticker you have lost weight.

Was off sick most of last week, feeling better now but was met with a meeting this morning as our entire faculty is undergoing a review to try and cut 1.5 mil from the budget. My department works directly with students and this is one of the places where they want to make staff cuts. Someone already quit and my job is temp till march so I may end up being cut. I really dont want to loose this job and I hav had many temp jobs int he past and just feel like I am geting to old to keep relearning stuff, my office and collegues are great and we all do a great job together. Although I need some time off I do not want to get laid off unless I win the lottery and can retire. I know there is no such thing as job security but I have already filled several year long temp positions. Needless to say this has somewhat dereailed my staying on plan today and I dont know why, I already know I am a temp but it was also with the possibility of becoming permanent.

anyways that is my rant for the day oh yeah and we found our my husbands social security dissbility review was denied, our lawyer now wants to appeal but I have lost any hope and it even took 4 years just to get to this point and he still has no job, has had no income for a year so now I just feel even more pressure that being the breadwinner and being responsible for everything. It is hard being female and always being the one financially responsible, I was as a single parent with no child support for 10 years, then got married and hubby had ssd then lost it then i had to support him and his children, it is just nice to be in a marriage where you get some sort of financial support from your husband. end of rant.

I am stuck between wanting to go home and drink the bottle of wine I have or going and buying some fries and gravy at lunch, right now the wine sounds better as it will help me sleep and hubby is not home tonight as he is volunteering at our homeless shelter here, at least he is using his time to help others and I have to give him credit for that and he does feel bad as he has been looking for a job for some time. Maybe I should go to a counselling appointment!

AnnieDrews
10-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Hey all! Not checking in as often as I should. Not the best weekend foodwise. Probably would have been reasonable without the peanut butter cookies.

Got a new Leslie Sansone DVD and did that this morning. 4 miles w/ resistance band. Loved it! Really pushing the water today as I didn't get near enough over the weekend.

PP-I'm interested in hearing about that Smothered Meatloaf recipe. Anything with those two words in it has to be something my fiance would LOVE!:D

Ashley-I sure hope you decided against the fries/gravy and settled for one or two glasses of wine. Not the whole bottle, woman!:dizzy: I have some wine in the fridge that I opened a while back. I may sip on a glass myself this evening.

I have a 4 day week as I am taking off Friday to spend with my younger son. Fall Break here. Hoping to spend some extra time with my older son, too.

Ashley777
10-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Annie- have a nice day off with your son.

WEll yesterday I ended up going for a walk at lunch which is a real miracle cause usually once I decide to eat there is no stopping I ate two granola bars and a protien bar then stopped. I usually go for a walk at lunch anyways but I had decided I was not going to then went anyways. I did end up eating too much for dinner, then of course regretted it. I didnt drink cause I was too full but I would have rather drank instead of eating. Took sleeping pill and went to bed.
Did have a glimmer of good news yesterday the place where my husband is volunteering had a job posting for doing exaclty what he is doing. He applied last night and this would be a perfect fit for him. He has wanted to do this type of work somehow for along time. He helps with the food bank one day a week and helps serve dinner another evening a week and he really likes it.

AnnieDrews
10-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Hey all! I'm really struggling with keeping sweets/baked goods out of my mouth. For a long time I used good restraint and had them in reasonable amounts. I'm making a 9x9 pan of smores brownie cake-thing for our dessert tonight. 4 of us (including 3 teens) should demolish that and I am planning for a very small serving for myself. Have Halloween cupcakes planned, too, so am going to try not to bake anything else.

2 miles exercise DVD this morning. It was really cold here this morning. I turned on the heat for the first time this season.

Moondance
10-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Just popping in to say hi.

Guac: Hope you're enjoying the family time!

Ashley: I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both you and your DH!! Let us know what happens!

Annie: You got willpower, woman! All that baking and no indulging...WAY TO GO!!!

Taking the day off tomorrow. I've got to get my bulbs planted and some other outdoor stuff taken care of. Sticking to my calorie counts pretty well. Hope I can keep it up!

Ashley777
10-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Annie, smores brownie baked thing mmmmmmmmmmm, so how do you make that, i was going to make something for tomrrow dinner as I have not had thinksgiving with my kids yet, so having a turkey. My daughter went to her inlaws and my son was working so wanted to make something for when we were were all together, was gonna make either chocolate cake or brownies and brownies are everybodies favorite. How do you turn it into a smore????
Hubby got an interview for the job he applied for. It is on Tuesday hoping he gets it.
Staying on track today dont want to gain back what i lost.

patchworkpenguin
10-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Sorry I've been MIA. I've been discouraged because I feel stuck since I haven't lost anything in a long time.

Annie, smores brownie cake thing sounds wonderful!

Ashley777
10-21-2011, 01:18 PM
PP - 'The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak'. I understand completley what your feeling, it gets so discouraging when we stay the same we have been for a long time. The fact that you are here is great though, we have to work at it, giving up is not an option even though i too feel like what is the point. But in the last few weeks, I feel better emotionally about it all. I still have bad eating days of course but something inside me changed and I feel mentally better. I was hoping this will change my outlook and make me feel more normal. Sometimes the change is slow but it is working. I also ate too much candy this week and I can sure tell that by how I feel. I will pray for you this weekend.

I decided to forgo the brownie smore thing, I just love brownies too much and dont want another binge after just getting back on track. So this morning on the way to work I stopped at safeway and in the morning they always have a bakery clearance rack. I bough two caremal apple crumbles. I wont eat any at all as I only like homemade apple crisp but at least this is something different from all the cakey gooey yummy stuff. If I had the time I would have made a apple crisp but not this week. Looking forward to having turkey carrots and stuffing tonight and the family over.

Have a great weekend everyone.

patchworkpenguin
10-23-2011, 10:55 PM
I'm sure all of you have heard these two phrases before

"you can't out exercise a sedentary lifestyle"

"you can outeat your exercise routine" {something like that...}

At any rate. I think these are two of my problems. I spend a lot of time sitting so even if I do exercise its not enough. When I used to quilt a lot I would set a kitchen timer so every 45min I would get up {in addition to the standing to arrange fabric and ironing seams} but these days it seems I sit for hours before I get up. I'm trying to change that. While I may not resort to a timer I'm trying to think of reasons to get up and not just wait until I have to get up to do things.

Exercise: I've been on an extended break for the past few months first it was just too hot, then the temps finally cooled down and my allergies kicked in. No more excuses. I have 10 new DVD's coming and I plan on trying them all! I need to get back in gear. I've had success before in two shorter workouts a day rather than 1 long workout but some days I just can't do that, while some days I can. I'll put some thought to it and see what kind of weekly rotation I can come up with. I can always hop on the treadmill for 30 min. While I enjoy weights more than cardio, I haven't gotten a lot of results from majority weight workouts so I'm planning on upping my cardio and when I do weights do a cardio/weights circuit workout.

Ashley777
10-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Hey PP - I saw one of those posted on somebodies signature but can't remember who. I think it was 'you can't outexercise bad eating habits'.

I am sorry you are having such a tough time, this is very very hard. We are such creatures of habit. Are you able to go out on your own. I know you have some vision problems but I was not sure the extent. Do you live near the grocery store or post office, if you what about taking a walk to the store if you need to mail something or walking to the grocery store to pick up a few light things to carry home.
It is great you are getting the videos I hope they are good ones.
I have stayed within 7 pounds in the last year, I did recently loose a couple pounds but they are so hard to keep off too.
It is soo easy to be discouraged, how is your bible study going?

AnnieDrews
10-25-2011, 12:05 PM
UGH! I'll be honest with you ladies. One of the reasons I haven't been posting more is because of this piece of CRAP notebookk computer I have to use at work. It is so damn touchy! I was just composing a post here a few min. ago and it just completely deleted the entire thing! Most of the time I just don't bother to go back and redo them. So frustrating.

So.....if anyone wants the brownie smores thing recipe, I'll be glad to share here, but don't want to tempt anyone needlessly.:hug:

Patch-I saw a story the other day about knitting sweaters for penguins affected in a recent oil spill and instantly thought of you. Also saw a story about making "jumpers" for little hens who needed them. I can find links if it is something you would be interested in.

Food is so-so right now. I doubt I make my goal by year's end.:( Exercise is better so it's evening out. Still want to get back to losing.

guacamole
10-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Just checking in.....finally have my house back to myself again!!! Guests are gone, heavy party meals are over, and it's time to get back on track. Not easy, but doable. I saw another person that I haven't seen in a few months yesterday. She told me how "skinny" I looked. I felt good about her remark, but in my mind, I know that I am still clinically obese.

I have been struggling to get to an "overweight" category BMI (179lbs for me) for the past 4 months and can't get there. I keep struggling to maintain 181, and keep going up 5 lbs, and going back down 5 lbs. 181 lbs is the lowest I can seem to go. I need to break this limit, but can't seem to go the extra mile needed to get there.

I saw a TV show with Dr. Oz that talked about how deadly belly fat is, and I have so much of it! I know that losing the weight is about more than a smaller dress size. It's about staying alive! I need to buckle down now.

Ashley777
10-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Good to hear from you Annie, sorry for the computer, sometimes i have typed out my comments in a work document then cut and pasted. How did your whole house thing end up working out?

Guac - it is nice when people notice for sure, it is hard to get past certain hurdles as i do the same thing, hope you hve a better week.

My food has been good one day bad the next. I have upped some of my exercise so feel stronger. Started taking a vitamin d calcium suppletment and vitamin with iron and feeling better since doing that. I have always beeen low on iron so hopefully the good feeling keeps up. Good food day today, I am hungry now but not sure what I want either a slim fast shake or some sort of meat, and I forgot any meat at home today.

fruitlady
10-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Hi all, good to see your all still here!

I've been so busy cooking in the evening, I have no time to post!
I cook healthy meals for myself, then I also have to cook for Hubby & Daughter, since they won't eat the healthy stuff. Daughter does eat my meals sometimes at least. I have to go to bed at 9:30pm. There is not enough time in the day!

I'm still exercising everyday, but my calories have been way over limit for a while. I love to bake from Oct. thru the holiday's, so I gained weight. Monday i started dieting, this is the third day of staying a little lower than my calorie range. I am seeing results, hopefully I can keep going straight thru Halloween! Since it's my favorite holiday, it will be next to impossible!

Hope everyone is doing well!

patchworkpenguin
10-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Ooops, wander off for a few days and all sort of fun people stop by!

Annie, sweet of you to think of me, I've seen the penguins but not the hens. I can do a search. Sorry about the computer but glad you tried. I tend to write out the post then not hit 'submit'. :dizzy:

Ashley, along with a regular multi I take Iron and Magnesium {for migranes}. At my yearly physical, the tech commented I had a nice strong Iron reading, LOL. Thanks for the ideas. If April continues to improve I might be able to take her for a walk. bible study is going great. We are learning so much. Revelation and end times are both such controversial and difficult topics to cover and understand.

Guac, congrats on the SKINNY comment! good for you! Parties are fun but its Nice to have peace and quiet again. I seem to go up and down that same 5lbs. I feel like I work so hard and all I do is maintain.

FL, good to hear from you. Your baking sounds fun. We have to go out on the day of Halloween to buy our candy or else it will get eaten ahead of time.

I've done three of my workouts over the past three days {note the new quote from Cathe's Afterburn DVD in my siggy} . Tomorrow will be a break/rest day for exercise. Tomorrow along with the regular Bible study we are having a brunch to welcome a couple from Nepal who are coming to visit us, and tell us more about their country. Mom and I volunteered to help with setup and cleanup.

I'm trying to be more positive and remember that every thing I do every decision is for the ultimate good of my overall health and even if I don't see immediate or significate progress I still need to keep at it. Giving up is not an option!

Ashley777
10-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Hi FL - good to hear from you, the holidays can be hard I agree, specially halloween with all the stupid candy and emphasis on it. Way to go no the cooking I really need to do more of that.

PP - I always love to hear peoples stories from other countries, a school i use to work at we had a lot of international student in our office and I would always chat with them. One guy I got to know a little was from uzbeckistan I know I spelled that wrong) they had 6 day work weeks and 6 day school weeks, I lived in the U.S then and he loved our 5 day school and work days.

Was going along well yesterday, I have learned one more thing about myself. When I eat really well and am doing good i have more anxiety and energy and it scares me and sometimes I will eat to calm that down, yes i know it is dumb. But I am hoping have learned this is that I can regonize when my levels anxiety and energy levels are really high to just take a few moments of deep breathing and perhpas pray for a few moments to help calm that down. When this happens at work it is great I get tons of stuff done, or i go run it off at lunch but if it happens at home it can be a terrible trigger. so here we are again the calm after the storm of emotions, and after eating quite few halloween candy bars at work........

archychick
10-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Hi Everybody,

I too have been MIA with life holding me 'hostage'. I went off my plan, but I guess it's a good one for me because the residue of it kept me at the weightloss I had when I went off! So, I am starting again today right where I left off.

B: Coffee
L: Water
D: will update
E: None tsk tsk tsk

Sending healthy, supportive and energetic vibes to everyone -------------------->

patchworkpenguin
10-31-2011, 09:50 PM
Hubby and I got a stomach bug over the weekend. Add a double whammy with TTOM and I wasn't a happy Penguin!

Feeling better today. I got a lot of stuff done to make up for the weekend. Bread, laundry, clothes sorted for Goodwill, and random acts of cleaning and houseplant trimming. A few kids have come to the door but not as many as last year. I was good and didn't open the candy until after dinner but then kinda attacked it, LOL.

I was going to start a new thread for November but realized I didn't put a month on the last one so how about we just keep this one.

BuffJim
11-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Hello everyone. I am new here, just joined today. 48 year old male. The Buff is for my hometown, not for the shape of my body. Today's goal is no sweets, or beer and go for a long walk this evening. Plus lots of vegetables. I'm hoping the accountability and the support of a group will keep me from giving up on every other healthy eating plan I've tried.

fatbottomed girl
11-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Ok, survived Halloween without too much cheating. Now to conquer the holiday season. It won't be easy, I think we've got some sort of party/gathering to go to every other weekend from now through early 2012.

That's a lot of buffets & potlucks to navigate. Oy.

Ashley777
11-02-2011, 02:37 PM
welcome to buffjim and fatbottomgirl!

I had a bit of an aha moment last night, was doing really well, at time when often I get tempted to overeat, i was at lunch but fought it off, often it starts when I am hungry anyway but i have learned to make myself something small to eat and then I can eat it all and not worry about eating more, it worked I was satisfied with my nice lunch. Come evening time, i was not hungry for dinner yet but just had those terrible urges to eat. I decided it was much like quitting smoking, (was a smoker for 15 years). When you quit smoking you have to make it thru cravings you don't think it is going to get easier but it does. (quit 15 years ago). The urge to eat too much or stuff your face will eventually not be as bad. I have experienced this before (went back to old habits)but to start sometimes the urge is overwhelming. So as we move forward I will try and remember this once again. I did give in last night but will move forward with more new information once again.

Holiday season is tough, we already had thanksgiving (october for canada) and that went well, but I have my mothers bday, dec. 29 and and daughters birthday dec 30 right after Christmas. And we have a party for each person with more cake, sheesh, we decided in our family it is nice to honor each person as an individual and have parties separate for each person to help make each one feel valuable and special for thier one day a year. We have other birthdays too my grandson and husband are on the same day and niece and grandaughter are 5 days apart in November and me and my nephew a week apart in march. My sister stepson and son in law are 6 days apart in june so needless to say lots of birthdays. (cept stepson does not live here)

Onward we go people, if we lost the battle yesterday or today remember being courageous is being able to say 'i will not give up' even if I fail today!

BuffJim
11-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Hello everyone,

I did great on my first day. Kind of need to steel myself for the upcoming challenges. Usually I can do pretty well the first week, but loosen up on the weekend, and then when the 2nd week rolls around, I kind of fall off.

The only times i've lost weight as an adult was during my divorce 8 years ago. Lost like 20 pounds without trying.

Then 2 years ago I pedalled the bike across the US, and lost 25 quick pounds from 245 to 220 in my first month, then maintained my weight the last 2 months of the trip.

So this time I really want to succeed.

Hey FB girl, what part of NY are you from?

patchworkpenguin
11-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Hubby came home sick while I was at Bible study. Why didn't he just stay home this morning?? Anyway he spent most of the day napping. He thinks he has the flu, one more thing he's brought home from work.

I've been alternating working on Prayer shawls and baby blankets for the Churches' knitting ministry. I've actually been crocheting those because its easier for me to do more complicated lace patterns {read prettier} in crochet.

Baby Blanket http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj427/penguinspics/002-3.jpg
Lattice Prayer shawl http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj427/penguinspics/001-4.jpg

Ashley, great insight on urges to eat! That's a lot of bdays

Jim, good job on the first day! Weekends can be very hard.

FBGirl, Potlucks and buffets can be tricky because you can't plan ahead very well.

Glad to have some new people!

BuffJim
11-03-2011, 09:30 AM
I had a really good day yesterday, too. I did go out to a restaurant with my daughter last night. We do this every Wednesday. I had spaghetti and asked for a takeout box up front. I put at least half of the pasta and sauce in the carryout container before I started eating. If I hadn't done that, I would have eaten way more. This morning when I packed my lunch I looked at how much pasta was left and easily dumped a third of it in the garbage. I am single and live by myself, except when my 17 yo daughter is around. So it allows me some freedom, but also some lack of accountability.

Patchwork Penguin - I hate the flu. I got a shot this year, so hopefully I'm protected. Also trying to avoid the nasty cold/sinus infection that is hopscotching around our office. I could live without 3 weeks of hacking, dripping and coughing.

Ashley777
11-03-2011, 02:02 PM
PP - hope you don't get sick! your crocheting is very pretty!

BuffJim - way to go on the restaurant eating, that is great. I get the living alone thing, I lived alone for ten years (cept for my kids from ages when they were teens ) and there was just no accountability. It was hard and it was lonely so I ate for something to do and it also stopped me from wanting to go out, which at the time is what i wanted made me feel less lonely.

Had a bad food day yesterday and had a bit of an arguement with hubby last night which left me hurt this morning. This is strange for us as we almost never argue and I am not use to being upset like this, and it was stupid argument as well. Trying to get back on track here, I don't want to ruin the progress I have made.

LoriAS
11-03-2011, 02:17 PM
I need to find a group that is fairly active and supportive, so I'm glad I found this thread! Looking forward to getting to know you.

I have gained and lost the same 60+ lbs 3 times. I recently hit an all time high after the birth of my son.

I have been successfully on program since Monday and looking forward to adding exercise next week.

patchworkpenguin
11-03-2011, 03:02 PM
I decided I needed to make a new plan for the food/exercise. I need to be stricter with myself and my choices.

Jim, good job on getting rid of the pasta. When Hubby gets sick, he doesn't take good care of himself and keeps going into work when he should stay hom and get better! He won't get the flu shot. The sinus stuff is just normal around here because of the pollen. Spring and fall.

Lori, good job being on plan. Exercise can be hard, but it can also be very rewarding.

Ashley, sorry you and Hubby argued. My Hubby and I have sometimes stopped mid arguement and asked each other 'what are we really fighting about??" usually its something silly.

BuffJim
11-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Hello Lori, Ashley and PP and everyone else. It's been a really good week. Last night after dinner I walked an hour and a half and then for my late night snack had a whole small can of Salsa Verde. 60 Calories if you use a spoon rather than chips. I'll be weighing myself on Monday after my boot camp class. This weekend will bring some challenges, but hope to keep the momentum going.

patchworkpenguin
11-04-2011, 11:38 PM
I didn't eat a lot today and the meals were spread out though the day. I did 40min of cardio.

Cold and damp here. Hubby still isn't feeling well, but he has the weekend to recover. One of my friends called me to warn me that there was a shooting at the end of my street. It wasn't in a house but more of a drive by.

Hubby took April outside late last night, without a leash and there was a cat in our backyard. So she ran after the cat. She's limping again but not very much, thank God!

patchworkpenguin
11-05-2011, 12:44 PM
I can report a loss of 1.6lbs! Yay for me!

BuffJim
11-05-2011, 05:08 PM
"I can report a loss of 1.6lbs! Yay for me! " :carrot:

Awesome job PP!! I'm going to weigh myself at work on Monday. Hoping for a good number.

I took a 19 mile bike ride on the bike path this morning. Was cool and breezy, but a nice ride. My first ride since July. Cooking a stirfry then going to the movies with the daughter and her boyfriend. We're going to see Tower Heist. Hope its funny.

Focused at 48
11-05-2011, 05:35 PM
I started my program almost three weeks ago. I lost 9lbs -WK1, 3.2 - Wk2, and have my next WI on Tuesday. I am determined to reach my goal this time. I've tried this before for other people, but this time is just for me and my health. I am not a blogger so this is my first post and I hope I'm doing this right! It's good to have support from people who understand the process!

Thanks

shortcake1023
11-06-2011, 01:01 PM
New to this site and recently checked into WLS. I am waiting to hear about approval and appointments with doctor. I have tried to lose weight with many different plans over the years and haven't had much success. So ready to hear your ideas and find some support. :dizzy:

patchworkpenguin
11-06-2011, 06:45 PM
We went to Hastings bookstore only to find that it was closing in Dec! This is the place I take books and DVD's to get store credit. Borders just closed a few months ago and now this! I was able to use up my $40 store credit. I bought 2 DVD's Bob Harpers 'Ultimate Cardio Body' and The Firm's Weightloss System with 'Burn and Firm' and 'Cardio Blast' I also bought two crochet books.

More news on the recent shooting; 2 people were injured but no fatalities. Both people were in cars, they just happen to meet at that intersection.

We don't often do this but we stopped to look at a rocking chair on the side of the road. Its one of those 90's padded rockers that came with a footstool. All that was left was the chair, but it and the springs are in good shape. I love rockers so this one is going into my 'yarn storage room" so I can escape when Hubby is watching something boring on the TV! I plan on making a cushion for it. Putting my dusty sewing machine to good use!

Focused, congratulations on the weight you have lost. I think you are very wise to realize that you need to lose weight for yourself not others. Guilt and motivation are not the same thing!

Shortcake, cute name! Hubby was in the Navy, we were stationed at Whidbey Island but would go to Bremerton for day trips. Hubby has family in Bremerton and Seattle! Nice to have you join us!

patchworkpenguin
11-07-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm tired today. I don't really feel there's a good reason, but I'm trying to keep moving and not take a nap on the couch. I've started the bread, fixed a crockpot "loaded potato soup' for dinner, and have started the laundry. We bought one of those extendable poles with shelves to put in the shower to hold shampoos etc. Hopefully that will make it easier to clean the shower/tub without having to move everything. I need to clean the tub before Hubby gets home so he can install it. I have a routine mammogram tomorrow.

BuffJim
11-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Hi everyone -

Just weighed myself. 243 - down 6 lbs for the week. I'm excited:carrot::carrot:, though I realize I won't lose like this every week. Kind of went off plan last night and had some beer and a 260 calorie portion of ice cream. Nonetheless it was a good week. Hope I can keep up the momentum.

PP Hope you get your energy back. I thought about cleaning my shower this past weekend. It's the thought that counts.

guacamole
11-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi everyone! Good to see everyone checking in and a few new faces! I just wanted to pop in to say that I created a FitDay account today and have been logging my food. What an eye opener! I have already gone over my calories for the day and it's only 1:00pm! I had thought I was doing so well! I am really glad that I have started tracking my food. Knowledge is power. Maybe now that I have the data, I can get out of the 180s. I am going to eat in healthy moderation for dinner tonight - and start fresh tomorrow. Also, I need to get a new battery for my scale, because it died. Gotta start weighing in regularly so I know what I'm working with - even if it's bad news! It takes one of those round flat lithium batteries...not sure where to get one...

AnnieDrews
11-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Hello everyone! Still working on getting myself to check in here more often. Food has been so up and down lately. Just frustrating, but I'm sticking to it!! I've promised myself no more baking until at least T-giving, unless fiance wants me to bake a birthday cake for him. I'll tell him to be honest if he really doesn't want one (he isn't big on sweets), that I don't need the temptation. We'll see how that goes.

I've been doing well with exercise, though and I suppose that helps when I've over-indulged.

We had an earthquake here over the weekend....well several, but I only felt one of them. Was pretty scary for me. I was home alone and I thought someone was trying to break into my house.:o

Guac-You can buy the lithium batteries just about anywhere....Wal-Mart, CVS, Walgreen's, grocery stores.

Welcome to the new faces and congrats to all the "losers"!!

Moondance
11-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Hi All...
Looks like this thread is getting a little more attention again.:carrot:

I had an odd day with food yesterday (had to eat small portions of calorie-laden breakfast served by my hostess/friend and keep all meal portions to a minimum the rest of the day). As a result...today I'm STARVING! I brought good snacks and lunch with me to work, so I'm doing ok, but dang, it's hard not to overeat today!:D

Have a great, On-Plan day today!

AnnieDrews
11-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Another earthquake tonight. Magnitude 4.7 this time. Tornadoes, thunderstorms, heavy rain and flooding in our state, also. We're calling it "Thunderquakenadomageddon".:dizzy:

patchworkpenguin
11-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Annie, glad you are doing okay amid all the mayhem.

Jim, great job on your loss

Guac, hope the tracking works for you

Im trying to get ready for lunch with my Mom then my yearly mammogram.

Moondance
11-08-2011, 05:16 PM
"Thunderquakenadomageddon".:dizzy:

Funny to hear but probably not funny to live throuhg!

shortcake1023
11-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the welcome PP. I am trying to get used to checking in LOL. Life took some changes this week, my daughter moved out with her bf and I am moving in with mine. Not sure how all this is going to work but we are up to the challenge. At least being there I will be eating mostly healthy stuff bc the other roommate is diabetic so menus are pretty much focused on that. I still haven't heard from the doctors office about insurance approval. But did meet with my PC and he is upping my thyroid meds to hopefully kick it into gear. Hope everyone else is doing good and feeling good.

patchworkpenguin
11-09-2011, 11:29 PM
I did Firm's Cardio Party {40min cardio} today. Not bad with eating but could have been better.

We watched Cars 2 which had a slow start {for a film about racing, HA!} but turned out to be a lot better than I expected. Had a nice message about being who you are, liking others for who they are and friendship, not all 'big oil is bad' as we had heard.

AnnieDrews
11-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi gang!

PP-I can't wait to see Cars2 as well.

Okay, I'm getting real here. A little background for those who are new and don't know my "story"....I joined here in Jan, 2010 at 191 pounds. My goal is 140. Last year at this time I was 150 and feeling great. I lightened up on myself and got kind of stuck at that weight. Today I am up to 157 and I am vowing not to continue gaining weight, but to get back on the losing cycle and get to goal as soon as possible. This is going to be difficult with the holidays coming up and I do plan to allow myself some off-plan items. But I really want to get this over with. I want to get to goal and begin maintenance!!

Today has been great so far, foodwise. I did sleep in and didn't exercise this morning, but I felt I needed that rest.

I'm updating my ticker to stay honest with myself.

patchworkpenguin
11-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Today is my Moms Bday so we sang HB to her before Bible study. Then on the way home we stopped by a local bakery {some nice person [not me] got her a giftcard} and we each got a cupcake. Very nice of her to share.

It was chilly {35*} this morning when I got up but the house was warm! High today is 55* but its not windy and the sun is shining!

I did 30min of cardio/pilates then 30min of just pilates. I didn't like the first DVD I tried, so I stopped it and stuck in another.

Annie, great idea to recommit and get the weightloss torture over with! Any new plans?

BuffJim
11-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi everyone. Just got done with a 3 day work conference. Didn't do that well eating wise. Got to finish the week strong. Next week is a week long business trip to Indianapolis. There will be plenty of chance to exercise, but also plenty of chances to overeat.

PP, shortcake and Annie and others- keep up the hard work!

patchworkpenguin
11-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Me again. I found a fun scarf pattern like this one, but I created my own. I'm making this to give to my Mom when we go out to eat for her Bday on Sunday.
http://ravel.me/patchworkpenguin/f07bw

I'm also making one for myself! slightly different however
http://ravel.me/patchworkpenguin/7og8r

Jim, all that travel would drive me crazy. Stay strong!

patchworkpenguin
11-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Nothing exciting happened yesterday. I did rake the back patio, made pizza for dinner, started the cushion for the rocker, finished the scarf for Mom, and started a baby blanket.

We watched Captain America which was okay, but not a favorite, there's a blurb at the very end {past the credits} which ties together the Iron Man, Capt America, Thor, and Green Lantern movies; they are making a ensemble movie called the Avengers.

Not much exiting happened today either. I did take some shots of April outside being a dog, mulching a stick. {see avatar} The poor dog has been stuck inside for most of the year because of her surgery so its nice that we can let her run around the yard, but still supervised. Hubby and I did a little shopping and ate an early dinner out at our new favorite BBQ place called 'The Commisary".

techtress
11-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Hi everyone,
I just joined today. Hoping to find some support here and also provide some! I'm tired of being overweight...it makes me so unhappy. I had a "taste" of thin--for about six months, and maybe ten lbs beyond that. I've gained 70 lbs since about March of 2007.

I've joined and quit Weight Watchers more times than I can count. More recently, joined w/ my good friend in April of this year...was down 10 but down I'm up another 8. So, 2 lb loss in six months! I know why...horrible eating habits and little exercise. I struggle w/ binge eating (especially w/ carbs, junk, and sweets).

Going to breakfast w/ the family today. Planning to behave myself.

shortcake1023
11-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Hi Techtress and Everyone, I am new here too. Hoping to do better about structure and eating better. My two biggest problems are snacking out of boredom, and forgetting to eat. I know it sounds crazy and the 2 do not seem to be possible but I usually do one or the other. I try so hard to eat regularly but unless someone else is over I don't usually cook and go a day or longer before I remember that I haven't had food just fluids. Then if I had company over then I eat because I am feeding others or when they leave I am bored at first. UGH Oh well will be working on these. Have a great day everyone

mgruce
11-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Hi everyone! I bought the bodybugg and started logging my calories. Seeing the in/out ratio really makes me think about what goes in my mouth. I dont know how I am going to make it through the holidays. I exercise (recumbent & elliptical) as well as weights in my house. I try to get 45 mins in the morning and at least a 1/2 hr when I get home from work. I lost 2 pounds last week and weigh in is tuesday. I should be on track for another 2. I am in awe of the people who lose a ton of weight each week. I dont have that kind of time to exercise. maybe I am not doing the right kind??? I keep my deficit to 1000cal...

patchworkpenguin
11-14-2011, 12:18 AM
Hubby has had a relapse of his cold/sinus/flu thing. The good news is its warmer this week, high today was 76*, very windy, but I think we exceeded it High tomorrow is 80* but it will rain. I wore a tank top and thin dress pants for most of the day. Mom liked her scarf and the dayplanner I bought her for her Bday. We have allowed April more freedom to run around. We aren't crating her at night anymore. Good news is if she hears a noise in the night she can investigate, the bad news is we have to keep the counters and 'lab level' areas free of food or anything else she might like to chew on. I started knitting a vest for myself, no pictures yet.

Techtress, Welcome, glad to have you join us. Its nice that you had a friend to join with you.

Mgruce, when I frist started trying to lose weight it was easy to drop the 'big pounds" but the longer I'm trying the less I lose at a time. My body's way of fighting back, Ha! :dizzy:

Shortcake, I used to think of snacking as a boredom fixer. It took me a long time to get over that thinking. Keep working.

patchworkpenguin
11-14-2011, 08:45 PM
I did 40min of cardio/weights today. I woke up groggy, with no energy, and a crick in my neck {which the exercise helped}, but I managed to do everything I'm 'supposed' to today and got my exercise in.

Its still very warm here. I'm not sure what today's high was but its 73* now.

mgruce
11-15-2011, 06:16 AM
one more pound gone. I was hoping for 2 pounds this week. I admit I was a bit discouraged at first, but then I said one gone is better then one on. I think I over did the stuffing last night..yep.. ate a lot of that... ARGH! back on track..

patchworkpenguin
11-15-2011, 04:43 PM
I did 40min cardio from a boxing drills DVD. The crick in my neck moved into my opposite shoulder {!?} so I was hoping the boxing would help loosen it up.

Ashley777
11-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Hi Everyone, i have been mia for a week or two. I was off work last week so stayed away from the computer and have been to busy to get back on. had some good days and some bad ones. Seems the better I do when I do have a bad day it isreally bad. so about to go for my lunch time walk , we finally dipped below zero but at least its only -5 i can deal with that.

Went to my nieces birthday and had brunch did well and had no cake yay!

then went home and ate some of the turtles i bought for christmas not so yay!

My thinking is very slowly changing and i am glad for that.
will try to check in more. My oldest grandaughter is 4 today! my how time flies I dont want to be 50 and fat. I cant believe how much we change in our 40's.

guacamole
11-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Hello, everyone! Nice to see new faces around here! I can so relate to snacking in order to relieve boredom/stress/loneliness. It's a vicious cycle.

Ashley777 - It might be unrealistic, but I am really hoping that I will be able to say that I can't believe how much my body changed in my 40s - and have it mean something positive! For me, it was my 30s where everything went downhill.

Now for a little good news - I finally replaced the lithium batteries in my scale. I am down 6 pounds and am officially out of the obese BMI category for my height!!! I finally made it to my mini-goal that I've been working on since August! It took me long enough, but I am here now and hope to keep moving forward.

patchworkpenguin
11-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Bible study isn't meeting next week because of Tday! Hubby and I are going to my parents Thursday but I'm taking half the meal to help out.

Guac, good job on reaching your mini goal!

Ashley, I'm glad to hear that you feel your thinking is changing. That's a great step!

Ashley777
11-18-2011, 12:29 PM
guac, way to go that is awesome!

How is everyone else doing?

Got two peices of good news this week, hubby got a part time job finally, it is where he is already volunteering anyways at a major homeless shelter/food bank for our city. They serve dinner every night and is one of the main foodbank depots for our city. He has always somehow wanted to work for this type of organization, they even started building some transition homes for homeless people. It is wonderful to finally see this happen, hoping it works into full time to take some of the stress and financial responsibility off of me haveing to look after all our bills by myself. He also got approved to become a permanent resident so yay he can stay in Canada. It only took three years, not sure why it took so long when i moved to the U.S it only took me 3 months to become a permanent resident there I guess cause he was american i dunno. Hoping my eating can stay better on track, stress will always be a part of life and i need to not overeat when things are stressful. Today is good so far, planning on walking at lunch even though we got alot of snow last night and it is now -10. It is somewhat refreshing to go trudging thru the snow.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

patchworkpenguin
11-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Ashley, great news about the job and permanent residency! So happy for you both! Always nice to have a job that you like!

Weekend plans involve tearing down the outide ramp Hubby built for April!{<----} She's running up and down it now so obviously she doesn't need it anymore, and I'm afraid it will get icy and I'll slip and break my backbone! I've actually enjoyed having it because it points toward the backyard where the porch steps point away toward the front of the house.

NEMom
11-18-2011, 04:02 PM
I wanted to introduce myself and join your group. I am 42, have been a member of this site for several months and really love it. I am married (16 years), I have two children - 15 year old son and 19 (almost 20) year old daughter in college. I am also 'foster' parenting my sons best friend who is 16.
I am getting close to my personal goal, the last couple of months that weight has barley come off and keeping on track has been rough but I am determined to see that number on the scale. Hopefully, by mid december I will have hit my goal.
Weekends are always my downfall, hoping I can keep the food and drink in check this weekend as I know next week I will eat off plan some.
I hope you all have a great weekend! TGIF!!

patchworkpenguin
11-18-2011, 04:42 PM
I did 50min of Kettlebells.

I swept off the stairs and moved the items we had blocking them off from use, turned around and April was limping on her front leg. Arrrgghhh! I checked her front paws and found she had almost an entire empty pecan shell stuck on her 'biggest' paw pad {stupid squirrels!]. I removed that and she trotted off happily! That has happened a few times before, so at least I checked before I panicked, and rushed her back to the vet.

NE, Welcome, nice to have you join us. Congratulations on the weight you have lost so far!

attagirl125
11-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Anyone here beginning to jog a little? I begun the couch to 5K program after months of walking up to 5k. After all these years, I would really like to give it a shot. I suffer from arthur and there is so much disease in my family as well. I refuse to let it get me but at 42 I was feeling it and I DO NOT want to.

patchworkpenguin
11-19-2011, 09:59 PM
After sleeping late, we did the recycling, groc shopping and various errands today. Not very exciting.

Attagirl, Glad to have you join us, we can always use more voices. I jog in the treadmill in the winter, but my lungs give out before my legs do, so I usually do intervals; short warmup, 3 min steady state, 1min jogging, 1 min slow walk, repeat till cooldown, stretch.

patchworkpenguin
11-20-2011, 11:30 AM
I used a curling iron on my hair this morning while getting ready for church. That 10min of work seems to make a big difference. The background is the shower tile Hubby put up a few years ago. http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj427/penguinspics/002-4.jpg

NEMom
11-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Good weekend for the most part. Weighed on Sat. morning and it said 160.8 - .8 lbs from my goal. Stepped on and off the scale three times with the same number. I weighed on Sunday morning and it still read 160.8 - can I really be so close to goal?
Sat. i was going to start serious house cleaning in preperation for Thanksgivng but my husband and his buddy decided to watch the football game at our place and the last thing they wanted was me washing walls and all that while the game was on so I went shopping. Hubby gave me money for new boots and then I went to one of my favorite second hand stores and discovered that I can fit into a size 12 jeans and a medium top. I was so excited by this that I treated myself to a mani and petti, things I promised myself to give up until after Christmas to save money.
We had our first thanksgiving with friends today and I ate too much. I did allow myself a little bite of each dessert that I wanted to try but did not go crazy. I am really going to have to watch my calories on Mon-Wed to make up for today.
Hope you all had an amazing weekend.

Ashley777
11-21-2011, 11:55 AM
PP - nice hair!

Nemom- way to go an being so close to goal!

Attagirl - I love to run, i do a little of it now but want to do what I use to when I was in my 20's and lighter.

Went to oldest grandaughter's birthday on sunday, she is 4. Did well all day then had a small piece of cake but only because it was a costco cake and it is my favorite. Kinda have been going off plan for the last few weeks almost everyday. Need to get back at it!

BuffJim
11-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Hello everyone.

Today is weigh in day. Time to find out how much damage I did in the almost two weeks since I started drifting. Hoping to have a good week, with lots of exercise, and healthy eating except for Thursday.

BuffJim
11-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Well the weigh wasn't good. I gained back 5 of the 6 pounds I have lost since the beginning of the month. I let myself go too much on my week long business trip last week. But today I've done pretty well and had a great exercise session.

patchworkpenguin
11-21-2011, 11:31 PM
So I was watching Hoarders today; I only recently discovered the show and its like a train wreck, but I seem to learn something each show. Today the Dr was discribing hoarding as 'keeping everything, wantinng everything now, in case its unavailable later". Something in that rang a bell with food, lol, as most things do. I will admit that I've followed this train of thought before but here goes again. When I was growning up, one of my parents would buy a package of cookies and we would all fall on it like a pack of starving wolves. If you ate 2 cookies and left, then when you got back they would all be gone, and you missed your 'fair share". The first meal I made for my Hubby was a casserole that was supposed to feed 8, I got one serving. Yesterday, I baked a pumpkin pie. I cut it into 8 serving size slices, ate one yesterday, and planned another for today. After dinner, Hubby and I each got a piece. I hadn't even finished that piece when Hubby had finished his and gone back for another! As soon as I realized what he was doing my first thought was "I better get in there and get another slice or he's going to eat the whole pie". {he didn't} I was happy that I recognized the thought process but was amazing how quickly that thought popped into my head, especially so quickly after recongnizing the initial thought. Just one more thing to be on my guard against!

Hubby is allergic to seafood. All he has to do is get a whiff, and he's affected. We tell the staff at each place we eat, ask to be seated away from others, but he's had a reaction in 4 of the last 5 places we've eaten! We've decided to stop eating out, which will help both our waistlines and our pocketbook!

I did 50 min of weights today. From the title I thought it was cardio/weights but they fooled me. :D

Jim. sorry the weigh in wasn't as you hoped. Good job in not drifting off too far!

Ashley, hope you had a great time at the party!

NeMom, congratulations at being so close to goal! Funny about not being able to clean because of Hubby and friend. You spent your time wisely!

Ashley777
11-22-2011, 11:06 AM
BJ- hope your week goes better.

PP - I so get the hoarders mentality! I dont get that show anymore but use to watch it too, and I have attended AA meetings as well with hubby. It is interesting to see that anything in excess can be connected to other people in other ways. Also with the better have some now or it will be gone mentality I so get that. A few years ago if I really wanted something of what I cooked for the next day I would make a little extra and put some in a container and put my name on it in the fridge (basically only so my son would not eat it) even with goodies now I try to do the same thing, I will wrap a small portion and either freeze it or put it in my room so no one else will eat it. for a while I wondered it this bordered on hoarding but then if I make a pan of brownies when my son is in town he would pretty much eat the whole thing, so I will freeze a peice and still be able to stay on plan with having a treat. I know it is not good for my son to eat the whole thing either but as an oil driller (his job is 14 - 12 hour shifts of heavy manual labour) and being 6'4, he can down 5000 calories a day and burn it all off at work and still look like a body builder where as I sit at a desk most of the day.

I seem to do very good on my eating whenever I travel, so I was thinking a 6 month vacation would be an awesome idea - probably cheaper then weightloss surgery and I would have a good time as well. I use to be able to travel for work which was great but not anymore.

anyways, onward we go, not willing to give up but to keep working on this one day at a time.

BuffJim
11-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks Ashley and PP

I get the hoarders mentality with food. I had four brothers, and the good stuff always seemed to go quickly, so you had to help yourself. I remember being on a group camping trip when I was 18 and when the food was ready we said grace and dug in. But there was one kid with an empty plate. Someone said 'Bill, aren't you going to eat?' and he replied 'No one served me any.' Well that kind of thinking is just foreign to me.

Anyways, I had a real good day yesterday. Boot Camp and a 30 minute walk, and I ate pretty healthy. I hope to go the gym after work.

patchworkpenguin
11-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Jim,Hubby grew up with 3 siblings, they always ate buffet style; he does talk about having to get 'seconds' the first pass or there's nothing left. Good job on yesterdays healthy day!

Ashley, When I was a teen Mom decided to lose weight, we all got boxes with our names on it that we could put leftovers or 'save' treats for later. Maybe I should start that again, but there's only two of us here, I didn't think it would be that important, but then again I'm here all the time and have greater access to the treats. A 6 months vacation sounds great! I like to freeze 'treats' so they aren't on the counter temping me.

I did 40min kickboxing and 11 min corework.

NEMom
11-22-2011, 01:39 PM
BJ - How did the weigh in go? Not as bad you feared I hope. Try to remember, the number on the scale is just a number, it does not define you.

PP - I watch the Hoarders show too. Usually I watch it online the next day. Some of the people there have WAY more issues than just hoarding. Many of them have some serious mental health issues. What scares me the most are the older hoarders whose children say "When we were growing up, the house was always clean" and they don't know what caused the parent to change. I so fear becoming one when I get older. I can tell my give a sh!t attitude towards house work has gone down hill the last couple of years, it is a struggle for me to get it all done. I am sorry to hear about your husbands seafood allergies, good time to eat at home and save money for xmas.

A7777 - I am with you on the 6 month vacation, when do we go?? Keep at it, weight loss does get so discouraging but don't give up. I know you can do it.

I am toying with the idea of maybe lowering my goal weight. By BMI standards, I am still overweight but I just do not think that going down to 130 is doable for me. I have been thinking "What if I continue on for 3 more months, which will make my weight loss journey a full year, could I lose 10-15 lbs more? Have not decided yet but would really like to hit the 60lbs loss mark.

Taking a vacation day on Wed to clean house, oh what fun. I wish you all a very blessed Thanksgiving.

natamars
11-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Hi, everyone! I haven't been on since July 31st. I've had a very rough few months both at home and at work. The problems haven't gone away, but I feel ready to make healthier eating and exercise a priority again.

I haven't gone totally off the wagon, have been counting calories on and off(more off than on) and doing some exercise. I managed to finish a 10K in September and make it to the gym 2 or 3 days most weeks. But I'm up about 10 lbs from my lowest weight form the early summer.

I'm determined to keep my weight in check and hopefully even lose a bit during the holidays. If I keep going the way I'm going my weight will climb back to my next plateau.

Looking forward to seeing who's online these days!

patchworkpenguin
11-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Today I baked 3 loaves of cinnamon bread for my Hubby's Tday potluck at work. The guys requested my bread! Its in the oven now!

I vacummed, mopped the house {tile and hardwood seperately}, and will finish cleaning the bath in a while.

And I did 40min of kickboxing + 11 min of abs.

During rest breaks, I've been knitting a blue baby outfit for Joesph, the new GS of my parents SS teacher. Dad asked me to make for him.

I've done better on my eating this week than in weeks past. Yay.

Natamars, glad to have you back! Good job on the 10K!

natamars
11-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Feeling SO much better now that I'm taking steps. Writing down all my food and exercising daily. I just came back from the gym - jogged 3 miles on the treadmill and it felt great. I'm signing up for a 5K a week from Saturday, and feel like I can jog the whole thing now - have barely been running and didn't think I'd be able to make it.

pp, you're a rock star!! What a productive day!!

patchworkpenguin
11-23-2011, 11:48 AM
My alarm didn't go off this morning so I thought it was 8am and it was actually 930! Fortunatly, I didn't have anywhere to be! I'll be making the side dishes for Tday, and I think I'll do a lower body workout.

Yesterday night I got on the treadmill for 30min and then Hubby did 20m in after me. He's trying to exercise so I'm trying my best to support/encourage him!

Natamars, yesterday was a rare day. I usually space out my 'to-dos' a little better.

AnnieDrews
11-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Hi gang! Sorry I haven't been more of a contributing member lately. No excuse, just haven't been checking in enough. I was shocked to see a 154.5 on the scale this morning. I'm going to change my ticker just as a morale booster for myself and hope I can maintain that until next week!! Actually don't know why I weighed this morning. Maybe because I felt guilty for not exercising this morning, LOL! I was up a bit late last night and didn't sleep well on top of that.

Attagirl-I hope you don't mind if I chime in on your exercise. Congrats to you for getting started. Just be careful with the jogging. Hi impact exercise is really not good for arthritis. Have you checked with your doc? I've had to stop doing just the 1-2 min. of jogging that is included in my WATP workouts and I hate it, but will be glad in the longrun if I can delay that knee replacement. Good luck!!

PP-Love the pic!!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone! Enjoy in moderation!!:turkey:

Ashley777
11-23-2011, 12:52 PM
thanks nemom!
Great to see you Annie!

pP your cinnamone bread sounds great.

I forgot to bring my turkey for my sndwich today, i am aprotien person so not sure what I can do for lunch with my whole grain bread, almonds and orange and cucumber i have. I will have to just eat it for dinner i guess. Oh i may have som pb in the cupboard here. its a small victory but after the last few weeks yesterday went well and I did not overeat at all. And got in a good workout. Hoping and planning for the same today.

guacamole
11-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Oh boy! Cooking for Thanksgiving today, and all of those bites/licks/tastes are doing me in! I really need to watch it today and tomorrow. I am making all the unhealthy foods I love, so I am going to need some will power to do portion control....

Good luck to all of you on this delicious holiday! Happy Thanksgiving!

patchworkpenguin
11-23-2011, 04:55 PM
I did 40min of LB and 20min of UB.

I made the green bean and sweet pot casseroles. I take the Volumetrics approach and use regular recipes but add almost double the veggies. I've yet to make a pecan pie but can do that this evening. Since its 'his' pie maybe I can get Hubby to help!

If I don't check in tomorrow Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Annie, good to hear from you! glad you are doing well.

Ashley, good job on the workout and not overeating. PB sounds like a good compromise!

Guac, fortunatly these 'indulgence' holidays aren't every month thoughout the year!

guacamole
11-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Ay ya yai! Well, totally overdid it at Thanksgiving dinner and am now lying here in a turkey coma! My goodness....I need to get back on track tomorrow. I have no will power on the holidays. Hope you all did better than me!

Happy Thanksgiving!

patchworkpenguin
11-24-2011, 10:26 PM
We had a nice time at my parents. I went to church with them this morning, then we came back to the house, picked up the food I had made and the dog, and headed out. Hubby joined us when he got off work. Since my parents live out in the country April had a great time sniffing around, but she overdid it and was favoring her surgery leg {again} so she's back in the crate for the night! Poor dog!

I felt I did very well, I had more sweets than a normal day but a lot less than I did last year. I didn't overeat and feel good about my choices.

natamars
11-25-2011, 07:40 AM
Thanksgiving is DONE! I really wanted to go out to dinner to avoid the whole leftover thing(it was just my husband, me, and our son this year), but DH wanted at least some leftovers, so we compromised on taking in a small amount of food. I did OK for the meal - left it at one plate of food and eating what I really wanted(stuffing - YUM!), but went overboard later in the day with an extra piece of apple pie and a hunk of sourdough bread late in the evening. I did 5 miles in total in the morning, 3.5 of it at a jog. Taking advantage of the day off with a Zumba class and some weight machines at the gym this morning.

pp, great job!

guac, it's a new day!

patchworkpenguin
11-25-2011, 05:09 PM
I did 32min of cardio/weights. We go to my InLaws for dinner tonight, so the celebration isn't quite over!

Natamars, sounds like you got a lot of exercise today to burn that pie and bread off. Great job. I could barely get though the short DVD I picked. I'm blaming the boring DVD, but could have stuck another in alfterwards and didn't. :dizzy:

natamars
11-26-2011, 03:50 PM
6 straight days of exercise! Almost 5 miles total, jogged about 3.6 mi of it. Tracking all my calories.

Last night was the tree lighting in my town. The weather is GORGEOUS here on Long Island!! This was the first year in memory that we weren't all bundled up and freezing. I had a big cup of herbal tea before we went and resisted the hot chocolate and cookies.

Doing well tracking my calories and made enough salad and patmeal to get me through the week. DH will grill chicken to go with the salad for me and I have string cheese and Fiber One bars and Greek yogurt for snacks. I do NOT want to gain this holiday season!

pp. how was dinner? I don't do well with DVD's myseld, or exercise at home in general I'm too easily distracted. I need to be at the gym, or walking or jogging in the neighborhood - that way you at least have to make it home!

patchworkpenguin
11-26-2011, 07:19 PM
We had a nice time at dinner. My SIL found the 'lost' recipe for Gma Maedell's {MIL's Mom} pecan pie. Madell died before I started dating Hubby but she was apparently a great cook! I had made a pecan pie for Hubby but it wasn't as good as the one SIL made from the recipe.

Today we did some Christmas shopping and then the groc shopping. We didn't buy many presents but had fun looking around. The groc shopping wore us out, we went to a different store than usual, and I didn't know where anything was so we had to backtrack a lot.

I bought myself a 10lb kettlebell at Marshall's for $17. I have a 5,15, 25# but thought the 10 would be a good transition between the 5 and 15.

Natamars, good job on the consistant exercise! If I had to get ready, drive someplace, park, be on time :dizzy:, exercise, then go home, I would never exercise!

patchworkpenguin
11-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Weighed this morning and I’ve lost 2 lbs in the past few weeks. I should be happy but I was expecting a bigger drop. I tend to lose/gain the same 5lbs so I don’t get excited unlil its a significant loss.

So this puts me back at a lb over my ticker

guacamole
11-27-2011, 11:55 AM
patchwork - I also tend to lose and gain the same 5 lbs....very frustrating! I haven't weighed myself today, because I really did not do well over this long weekend. Between Thanksgiving, an organizational dinner, and a family celebration - I ate way outside of my maximum calorie range - plus my food included desserts and heavy/oily carbohydrate side dishes - my weaknesses.

So....I know that I need to be extra careful this week.

On the bright side, I bought a juicer and intend to start doing some juicing this week with veggies and fruits. Hopefully, that will kick start me back on track....

patchworkpenguin
11-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Sun Nov 27
B= 2 c milk, vits, poptart
L= Jason's Deli small Spud Du Broc {I didn't name it!}
S= Pumpkin fluff
D= 6 Tricuit, Turkey, Cheese {TTC}, cranberry sauce, Cranberry blondie
S= Peanuts, peaches {not together}
E=none

I thought TOM was over but it surprised me, great, but that explains the exhaustion and weird cravings.

What I did right!= resisted the urge to snack mindlessly this evening, didn't stress eat, or give into weird TOM cravings.
What I wish I had done= exercise
What I wish I hadn't done= had less sweets and I could have been more active because I feel like I sat all day.

Ashley777
11-28-2011, 11:56 AM
well, i seem to be in the same boat as you all. Losing gaining the same 5 cept a few months ago i did lose 5 and stayed then lost another 3 0r 4 so now the same 3 or 4 again.

Church was interesting on Sunday, talked about bondage and how we can believe lies. The reason I share this is years ago I knew I believed a lie about food. I do try to say to myself when I am not hungry when I want to eat that I am not hungry, my body doesnt need any food, I need to deal with my emotions better. lately I seem to get very mad when I am doing good with food. Lots of angry emotions surfacing that I need to deal with instead of shoving them down with food. ITs been really bad the past few weeks, I am sooooo mad my husband has had no income for the last year and this is not the first time in our marriage, in our 7 years together I have supported him and one of his kids for half of our marriage. I try not to let it bother me but I am sooo angry over this. I was a single parent for 10 years with no child support so i really thought when I got married I would have some finanical help and not be the only one supporting us. He just got a part time job which is great but for the next three weeks only has 8 hours a week. I am sooo mad he smokes and they are $10 a pack which means $300 a month and so mad I have to pay for that and go without stuff for myself. I just canceled a hair appointment so he could buy smokes. i am furious over that. In the last 17 years i ahve only gone the get my hair done once or twice a year. So then I stopped paying for ciggaretts and he started picking up butts and smoking them - gross disgusting and my kids wont let my grandkids at my house if he does that so back to paying for ciggaretts. The anger is constant and every so often I bring it up to him but other than that deal with it by myself and stuff myself so then i don't think os how mad i am at him but then the focus is back on my for a while. I think I just more so want to vent, he is bypolar but also the kindest person I know. He rarely gets mad and never rraises his voice and is always loving. the only time he raised his voice since I hav ebeen with him was when his 8 year old special needs bipolar daughter lived with us. She does not anymore.
Sorry this is so long I am just so pissed off I don't know what to do with myself. yeah I pray and give it to God then if subsids for a while but then comes back. Maybe I should get some counselling.
So far eating is good today, plan on working out at lunch as usual, exercise is good, sometimes I workout real hard and that helps me to feel better for a while so then I go between working out to feel better and eating to feel better, which doesnt make sense cause eating NEVER makes you feel better except while you are doing it.

guacamole
11-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Ashley -

"which doesnt make sense cause eating NEVER makes you feel better except while you are doing it."

I so agree with this. I think for me, the thing that's propelling me forward is that the pain of overeating (physical and emotional) outweighs the momentary pleasure I feel when I am overeating. I now know without a doubt that I will feel so bad about myself after a binge that it prevents me from doing it (most of the time!).

I am so sorry that you are going through these feelings about your husband. You sound like a strong woman! Dealing with the stress can certainly affect your health and keep the pounds on. The only person you can change is you.

Just my 2 cents, but I would stop paying for his cigarettes and I would make a new hair appointment for myself. If you change, he will have to change too. I'm sure he doesn't like smoking cigarette butts - but he knows you don't like it even more. He knows from experience that you will go back to buying his cigarettes in order to get him to stop. If you don't cave in, he might be motivated to look for more work - even if only to fund his cigarette habit!

It's time to take care of you!

AnnieDrews
11-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Hello friends! Here I am again. I'm really going to make an effort to be an active member of our group here....at least until I turn 50 in February! I have set that as my new goal date. I want to be at my original goal by then. Need to get it over with and move on with my life! Tired of working at this. I know it will be a job to maintain, but I want to move into that area and not constantly be worrying about losing. So, anyway...I'm going to try to be supportive and be accountable here.

Had a nice T-giving although kind of a weird actual T-giving dinner....HIS family, long story. We had out-of-town friends come down and spend Friday evening/night. I did fix a light dinner for us all, but a huge NOT-light breakfast the next day. I had hoped to get some exercise in, but didn't do one step. I got up today and did a 3 mile WATP DVD and am commiting to a min. of 3 miles each day this week.

Ashley-I am so sorry about your situation with your hubby. I'm hoping he can find full-time work soon and contribute as much as you are to your family. Hang in there!!!

In other news, did I tell you all that I started a new hobby? I am playing with melt and pour soap and am having a blast making them. I'll attach pics of a couple of my Christmas soaps for fun. I will say this.....when I'm working on them, I have no desire to eat.:) Don't even think about it!

patchworkpenguin
11-28-2011, 05:15 PM
I did 50 minutes of exercise using my new kettlebell too.

I can report my knees are better, my elbow is still a little sore however, and whatever the 3rd thing was I complained about is apparently gone because I can't remember what it was, LOL.

Annie, glad to have you back! Good job on the exercise.

Ashley, relationships are hard, especially when you feel you are the only one who is giving. I'm glad you felt you could share with us. I agree with Guacamole. Stop buying smokes. If he wants to smoke he can use his money on them.

NEMom
11-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Hello all!
Sounds like you all had a good Thanksgiving. I so overate and did not do a good job staying on plan nor did I get my water in. My scale is up 2.6lbs and I know I deserve it. I have decided to make my weight loss journey a full year, meaning three more months. I would really like to lose 12 more lbs but we will see.
Did a lot of shopping over the weekend. Spent about 6 hours in line at Walmart but got the TV's I wanted. Spent most all of Saturday shopping with my DD. She is in college and when she is in town spends most of her time with her bf so I LOVE spending time with her. I also discovered that I really can wear a size 12, not just in one brand either. I was married in a size 14 so am thrilled to be in a 13.
@natamars - Great job keeping on track and exercising! You rock woman.

@Ashley - I am so sorry to hear about your troubles with your husband. I know how all that resentment builds up and you just have to get it out. When I was working two jobs and my husband was out having a good time, it made for a rough time in our relationship and I was always mad and stressed. With your husbands medical issues would he qualify for SSI??

Wishing you a wonderful week back!

patchworkpenguin
11-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Mon Nov 28
B= 2 c milk, vits
L= Chicken, bread stuffing, green bean cas, carrots
D= Stew, roll
S= Pumpkin Fluff Parfait w graham crackers
S= 2 c choc milk- I don't want my stomach growling while I'm trying to sleep
E= 50min cardio/kbells

Right- skipped my morning poptart, had dinner later than usual to spread out my meals, kept exercising when I could have quit, didn't shoot computer when it froze on me.

Regret- didn't finish my 'to do' list

Wrong- could have been more active, got frusterated quickly, indecisive

NE, good job on the size 12! :dance:

AnnieDrews
11-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Just a quick note for now. Will be back later for a better one.

3 mile WATP DVD w/ 2# weights this morning.:carrot:

Packed good foods for work.

Had to drop my car off at the mechanic this morning. When I pulled in from work last night, all my antifreeze leaked out on my driveway!!:mad:

guacamole
11-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Hello, everyone! I have been juicing and just found the power cord to my elliptical machine. Now I just have to motivate myself to use it! Doing ok food wise so far this week. Hope it continues!

natamars
11-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Really struggling with food the last few days, esp. night eating, which is my downfall. I do MUCH better when I stop eating in the late afternoon, so I plan to get all my calories in by then. The last few days I've struggled. Exercise has been OK, although I missed the gym last night because DH got stuck in traffic and I can't bring DS to my class. Have been doing 30 minutes of stairs and walking with a friend at work every day. Also signed up for a 5K next Saturday.

you go, guac!!

annie, hope your car problem is something easy and cheap to fix! you're doing great w/ diet and exercise!

pp, you're doing a lot more right than wrong!!

NE, smaller than on your wedding day? What an inspiration!!!

patchworkpenguin
11-29-2011, 02:14 PM
You know those cartoons where the person slips on a banana peel, flys up in the air then lands flat on their back?? Apparently that happens in real life, too, no banana peel needed. Fortunatly, I landed on my butt and there's a lot of padding there so I didn't break anything. However, I was already cold and now I have a icepack on my hip, but did I mention that nothing was broken and that's the important thing!

I don't believe I'll be working out or cleaning house today, either.

Natamar, wait for the day I really mess up with eating! Its coming!:o:(

Annie, was it a hole in the radiator?? We had a car that Hubby kept having to replace the radiator. Hope its something easier!

Guac, start slow on the elliptical so you don't start to dread it! :D Good job!

guacamole
11-29-2011, 03:04 PM
patchwork - sorry about your fall! Glad you didn't break anything!

Well, a quick update that I did 10 minutes on the elliptical today. I feel kind of pathetic, because I used to do at least 60 minutes last time I used it - it's been at least 7 years! At least the thing still works! Anyway, hopefully I will slowly build up.....

Also juiced myself an apple, carrots, spinach, mini orange and red peppers, tomato, and celery. Pretty tasty and also surprisingly filling!

patchworkpenguin
11-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Tues Nov 29

B= 2 c milk vits,
L= turkey sand, 1/2 can peaches
D= chili, 2 cornbread
S= 5 or 6 Rocky Road squares
E= none

Right= Taking phone outside with me. If I had hurt myself I could have called for help! Not eating RR Squares as I was making them! Only had some as I was cutting/boxing them for tomorrow.

Wrong= Falling down and going boom! Eating 5-6 squares instead of 2-3!

Regret=Not taking asprin sooner. Not eating enough in the morning.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better and I won't be too sore!

Guac, good job on the 10min. Don't think about where you have been, think about where you are now!

natamars
11-30-2011, 06:33 AM
No night eating yesterday. I put in half an hour at the gym(also did about 40 minutes at work on the stairs and walking). Got home and moved my butt upstairs and watched Biggest Loser and read with my son. And the scale was down this morning. Amazing how much better I feel already!

pp, hope you're feeling less sore today. That must have been scary!

guac, celebrate those 10 minutes! Can't wait to hear about your progress.

patchworkpenguin
11-30-2011, 08:11 AM
I'm really impressed with how well I'm feeling today. I expected to be 'walking funny' based on how bad I hurt yesterday, I"m sure the heating pad and hot soak had a lot to do with it.

Ashley777
11-30-2011, 12:48 PM
thanks guys for your input and encouragment

Annie just cause your 50 does that mean you have to leave us? :)

PP - sorry to hear you fell, ouch!

guac- yeah I so get the not wanting to binge cause how you will feel after and that has helped in the past.

Nemom - hubby was getting SSD - disability when i married him they cut him off in Jan 08 and we have been appealing ever since, we just had a hearing before a judge in April and got the results a month ago and they denied him. We had a laywer and everything. The lawyer put in an appeal on the desicion and we wont know anything for a minimum of 18 months. I have to give him credit he has tried many jobs and only lasted a day or two.

I am feeling emotianally better today finally.

On the one side hubby smokes but I binge overeat how are they different really, I quite smoking 15 years ago and know how hard it can be. He has overcome drinking and he really is a great guy relationship wise, it is just the smoking that is difficult.

We are looking into buying a duplex with my daughter and her family, this would be affordable for both of us and there are a lot of new ones that are really nice and we would not have to pay condo fees. She lives a 5 min walk away right now so i guess it would be no different.

NEMom
11-30-2011, 01:57 PM
I have been sick for the last couple of days. Had a stomach virus really bad on Tuesday. I am feeling better today but still shaky and afraid to eat too much. The good thing is at least I have not binged but have not gotten my water or exercise in either. I am going to give exercise a try tomorrow morning and see how I feel.

@guac - Good job on getting your elliptical out. Mine does not plug in, yours must be a fancier model. Celebrate the 10 minutes. When I first started I could only do 7 minutes. It took me several months to work up to 30 min. but I don't think I could hang for 60.

@Ashley - Gawd, the government is so messed up. Makes no sense to me why they would drop him from SSI after he got married. To an extent, I can see the reduction if the household income went up but not totally dropping him. I will keep my figures crossed that the appeal works. I am glad you are feeling better today. Sometimes just venting helps some.

Hope you all have a great hump day.
@Patch - I am so sorry about your fall. Thank god you did not seriously injure yourself! I am glad that you are not too sore today.

@natamars - I struggle with night binging too. I do save most of my calories for night/evening eating but I still have to work on portion control during dinner and not mindless snacking. One would think after all this time I would have this under control but sadly I don't.

KG123
11-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Hey 40-somethings...you guys are definately inspirational.
New here...for those of you who jog/run...how did you start? I ran a bit when I was younger and I've tried to start again a few times but I always feel weird...it feels like everyone is watching me!
:running::rofl:

AnnieDrews
11-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Hi guys! I was wanting some input on the soap pics I posted. What did everyone think?? I'm having so much fun with it!

It turned out to be the radiator on my car. That's my Christmas gift for this year I suppose. Always something.

I'm doing pretty well on food this week. I will weigh in tomorrow/Fri and see if I did any damage over T-giving. Exercised this morning but only had time for two miles. Better than nothing!!

Found a really good sale at Old Navy today!

Here is a pic I took with my sons last night. Even with the goofy hat older son is wearing, it turned out pretty good. If it wasn't for the hat, I'd send it out with our Christmas cards. We had a nice evening of family time last night.

guacamole
11-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Hello everyone and welcome KG123!

Annie - I think your soaps are so creative and cute! Keep going with it. You might even consider trying to sell them on Etsy or Ebay. Who knows? I like your picture with your sons. You really look great! Very youthful.

NEMom, I know how you feel about not being in control of your food even after you have lost weight. I think for me, I keep adjusting my diet to eliminate the unhealthy things and find replacements. Now that I have eliminated unhealthy things from my everyday diet (still give myself leave to eat some "off plan" foods on weekends) I am looking for replacements. Sometimes my replacements are not as healthy as I first thought, and I end up trashing them too. Also, everyone's metabolism is different, so something that might be ok for one person to eat, might cause weight gain in another. Also, I have certain trigger foods - bread being among them - and I know I can't stop at a moderate portion so I have to stay away altogether (except on weekends).

So, I am constantly playing with my food. I also just read that juicing can cause weight gain, so now I am worried that I might have gained weight. I figure if I am eating on plan, and using juice as a meal replacement or supplement to a salad with protein, it can't be that bad? However, I will know when I weigh myself next.

Ashley777
11-30-2011, 04:44 PM
nemom, not sure if ssi is the same as ssd as I am canadian. Hubby said ssd has nothing to do with wifes income. We were married in 05 and after a review for him they dropped him. he had been on Social Security Disability for about 5 years. Even though we moved back to canada he can still collect here. We moved back to canada cause i can make more than double here what I did in the U.s at the same kind of job which brings me to another comment. We lived in idaho so maybe its different but I don't know how alot of people make ends meet. I had a good job with good benefits in idaho and we moved back to canada cause we couldnt make ends meet with my income. On the plus side of that while i lived in the U.S my daughter had a baby so I am glad to live down the street from her cuase now she has 3 girls and my son has a son as well.

Life is such a journey, I cant believe how upset I was last week, stupid emotions. I am thankful for what I have and my family and yes even my smoking husband and my job and living near my grandkids.

Trying to be positive and live without binging one day at a time.

patchworkpenguin
11-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Annie, I'm sorry I forgot to comment on your cute soaps. they are darling. I bet they would make great small gifts or stocking stuffers. Send the picture even with the goofy hat, everyone will understand. Boys can be goofy!

Guac, I'm afraid I don't know much about juicing one way or another.

KG, welcome, glad to have you join us! I don't run often but I started by doing intervals, 1 min jog, 3 min walk, 1 min jog, etc, and built my way up.

NE, I hope you are feeling better by now.

patchworkpenguin
11-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Wed Nov 30
L= Old Venice salad, 1/2 Chicken Rustica Panini, 1/2 breadstick
s= Pumpkin fluff, 2 squares
D= Sweet Pot cas, green bean cass, dressing, cornbread
S= 6+ today's cookies {had to bake more for tomorrow's luncheon}
E= none~ spent most of the day sitting on the heating pad again. I did start the sweater Im knitting for Hubby for Christmas!

Right- having a starter salad and stopping when full at lunch

Wrong= Eating as many cookies as I did yesterday

Regret= thinking "I deserve cookies because I'm hurting"

I'm going to go soak in the tub again...

natamars
12-01-2011, 06:54 AM
Down to 135.2 this morning! Love when the scale moves in the right direction. No night eating, jogged 2.5 miles, 1 hr. body sculpting.

pp, hope you feel better today.

ashley, sorry you've been having a rough time. Hope you can get things straightened out with your DH's disability.

guac, let me know what you find out about juicing. A lot of people love it, and I don't see how you can go wrong with the ingredients you're using.

annie, good luck with the weigh-in. 2 miles is great!

KG, I had also done a bit of running years ago but just got back into it last year. My weight loss was stalling and I needed a change. I signed up for a 5K that was about 4 months away. I slowed my pace way down and just started increasing my distance about 10% a week. A lot of people have been successful with the Couch to 5K program - there are threads on it on the Exercise forum. I can still only do about an 11 minute mile..if I can get up to a 10 minute mile I'll be happy! I've done several 5K's and my first 10K in September. My advice is to find a 5K to sign up for..that concrete goal really helps!

Ashley777
12-01-2011, 10:40 AM
natamars- thanks and way to go on the scale!

Annie - I somehow missed the pics of your soaps and cant' seem to find them but I am sure they are great!

PP - I like your post, the various reasons we like to eat and yes I have thought the same thing, I deserve this cause I am hurting, or i am bored or I can't deal with my emotions right now, or i will start tomorrow etc,

Have a new mindset again today and doing well, hope to carry that thru the day.

Buffjim - havnet heard from you for a bit hope you are doing well. Although I havent commented on your posts before I do like reading them.

Kg - I use to run alot for alot of years, i have been switching it up for a long time including step arobics, eliptical, hiking/running doing hills, stairs, but i really want to start running agian, i do small intervals like a minute or so while i am walking and move up from there. One thing i did notice was in my 20's it was easier and I could go longer and longer very quickly. Now it is harder and have to work at it harder but I know part of that is because my weight is higher then it use to be and it is harder to lug around 60 more pounds then before.

Moondance
12-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Hiya Chicks! :wave:

I'm just checking in to see how all of you are doing.

Penguin...hope that bath helped. And I hope your backside is feeling good after your slip. :goodvibes

Natmars...WTG on not eating at night. It's one small victory at a time! And congrats on the moving scale. :goodscale

Ashley...sorry to hear about your SSD problems. Seems the government pays those who are undeserving more than those who really need it. Good luck!! Your positive attitude is an asset. :sunny:

Nemom...Glad to hear you're feeling better! :flow1:

KG123...Welcome. :welcome2: Hey, you've got to start somewhere, right? Who cares what strangers think. Do it for YOU! :tread:

Annie...Sorry about the radiator. You're right...it's always something. What's wrong with the hat??? :joker:

Guac..."playing with your food"...makes me laugh. :lol: Isn't that what this process is about? I do it too...looking for better alternatives: finding lower cal, lower sodium, higher nutrition, etc. in everything I eat. I don't know about the juicing thing...I have to eat my calories, not drink them, so it's not a road I'll even consider going down. :twirly:

Went to the theater last night (Lion King...OMG what an incredible, visual feast that show is!). I even did well with my restaurant choices. Snow today, so my exercise will probably be shoveling. :(

NEMom
12-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I was able to get up and do my exercise this morning, I feel better about getting back into my routine after being sick. Of course, my scale is still back up to 162 but after my thanksgiving free for all I deserve it, even if it is frustrating.
I am wondering if any of you have one part of your body that you hate? I have HUGE thighs. It is a family curse and while I am so much happier with how I look overall now than I was at 220 lbs my thighs are worse. I have never been athletic so I have no muscle mass in my legs. I think the fat gave them some type of shape and with less fat, they are now all jiggle and dis-formed (Really, I am not kidding). I am going to try doing a boot camp class a couple days a week to see if I can tone them up but if they do not improve by summer there is not way I can wear shorts. I had no problem wearing shorts when I was 50lbs heavier but just cannot picture it now. I really hope I can figure something out, aside from plastic surgery, to improve them. I know I will never have runway model legs, I am short and 42, but this was one thing I did not expect. Sigh, thanks for letting me whine.

Gauc - I will always struggle with boredom eating and I have a problem with bread too. It's almost like I feel unsettled if I do not stuff myself at dinner and then have a snack before bed. It try to make my snack healthier but my issue is I am not really hungry yet I feel the need to eat. Weird.

natamars- Congrats on the scale victory!! I love it when the scale is nice to you!!!

Ashley - I am sorry, I do not know what the difference is between SSD and SSI, they sound very similar. I am so glad to hear you are feeling better.

Patch - You are so busy and talented. Knitting for your husband, I am too uncoordinated. I have tried it and end up with a tangled mess.

Hope you all are having a great Thursday!

guacamole
12-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Hi everybody! Quick check-in here....very busy morning but made time to juice a bunch of apples and oranges and am sipping as I am typing. Hope that the weekend doesn't do me in. I haven't weighed myself in a week. I am terrified of the scale and feel like I might have gained. I can go months without weighing myself, which is unhealthy. When I don't weigh in, I don't stay accountable. Need to get over the phobia....

Moondance
12-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Guac...
Knowledge is power! Get on that scale!!

guacamole
12-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Well, I made brownies for my kids, and couldn't resist. I did so good with my eating today, and binged on chocolate. It's not even that TOM! I have no excuses. Why do I sabotage myself? Hope to do better tomorrow.

patchworkpenguin
12-01-2011, 11:18 PM
thurs Dec 1
B= 2 c milk, vits, toast/straw jam
L= Potluck luncheon, 2 sausage rolls. Itailan bread with pizza sauce/cheese dip, 2 crackers with chicken salad, strawberry cake
S= too many cookies {15?}
D= chili, cornbread
S= ice cream
S=cheese and craackers SIGH
E= none

Right= I had a good breakfast and sensible lunch for a potluck.

Wrong= Eating 'too many cookies' and not really fighting the urge

Regret= not fighting the urge, having ice cream later, then cheese/crackers

Guac, I am in the same boat as you. I ate way too much today. Start again tomorrow! I get that the juice is good for you, but aren't you missing out of the fiber and other advantages of eating the fruit itself?

Moomdance, glad you enjoyed the movie.

NE, why is it the smaller we get the more self conscience we get about our bodies? I'm sure adding some muscle will help.

natamars
12-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Another decent day, other than a small candy binge in the afternoon(not even good candy - yuck!). No night eating and 40 minutes on the treadmill. I'm slowly increasing my jogging speed, trying to get up to a 10 minute mile. My town has a big 10K in September - this past year was my first and it took me 71 minutes. Would LOVE to be able to do it in an hour next year.

135.0 on the scale today. TOM is due next week, so if I can maintain until that's done I'll be happy.

pp, it's great that you write everything down even when it's not on plan. I need to work on that. Just because I don't write it doesn't mean it didn't happen! How's the hip/backside?

guac, hope today goes better! I'm the same way with the scale. Just bite the bullet and do it.

NEMom I have so many body parts I hate it's tough to choose one! The worst is probably my pooch under my waist. Even when I was 116 lbs. and exercising liek a maniac it was there. I wear Spanx if I wear anything fitted..only a tummy tuck will get rid of it, and I'm too scared of surgery.

moondance, snow already? Where are you? Congrats on your restaurant choices, and glad you liekd the show! It's been on Broadway forever but we still haven't seen it..I always try to get discount tix when I go and they're never available for that one. I've heard it's amazing.

I'm doing a 5K tomorrow - it will be my son's first(he's 8). Really looking forward to it.

Happy Friday!!

Ashley777
12-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Moondance, way to go on good choices, the play sounds like it was fun, I actually enjoy snow shoveling it is a great workout and a reason to be outside in the winter.

NEmom glad your feeling better, your body will adjust over time for sure, one thing I found out by accident that worked was climbing stairs and climbing hills about half of my hour long walk at lunch is hills and stairs. When I started walking up the hill by pushing off of the front of my toes at a fast past within two weeks my pants were loose in my inner thighs and I noticed a different shape on my backside as well.

Guac – I don’t weigh often either, I use to be addicted to the scale and weighed 5 times a day that was also when I was addicted to laxatives it was pretty bad. It lasted for about three years so I am glad I no longer do that but I try to weigh myself at least every so often. I would really like to weigh myself on Sun but I will only do it if I can stay on track then I know I will see a loss.
Natamars – hope your 5k goes well, my daughter would like to do a 10 k in the summer and I would like to do it with her, we both have a lot of work to do. I have done these before so I know I can do it.

Fruit Lady – haven’t see you for a while hope you are doing well!
Heres to a good weekend, I want to bake brownies as I know I can have these and stay on plan just have to make sure my mind is in a good place so I don’t eat all of them. I find it helps to have a small piece something I really enjoy while on track.

NEMom
12-02-2011, 10:49 AM
TGIF! I am glad that I am not the only one who had a cookie binge last night. Ate good all day, went to a christmas performance last night with mom and sister. On the way home I had an upsetting conversation with my mom, got home and ate 4 cookies. Gawd, sometimes I think I will never get it.
natamars- Best of luck on your 5K. I would love to complete one, maybe this spring/summer I will give it a shot.

guacamole-Your juice this morning sounds good. I watched a documentary about juicing and the guys on there swear it saved their lives and they lost a ton of weight. Hop on the scale. It is only a number and does not define you. (I know easier said that believed). I weigh everyday even when I do not want to because it helps hold me accountable. Plus, I am terrified that one day I will wake up and the scale will show 220lbs again. I guess I weight to make sure my weight has stayed down.

I am really moody and grouchy today. Could be close to TOM and hormonal could be people are really making me mad and I just can't stuff it anymore. Hoping my mood improves soon.
We are expecting snow and ice on Saturday. I hate snow and ice, I am already freezing and probably won't be able to go outside for the weekend without fear of freezing to death.
Hope you all have a wonderful, on plan, fun weekend!!!

guacamole
12-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Stepped on the scale to find I gained 2 pounds! I knew it from the way my clothes fit. I guess between my weekend binging last week and my brownie binge last night it is no surprise. I am going to assume that my juicing is not the culprit! I will try to eat clean and continue to juice next week and see what happens. Ugh!

patchworkpenguin
12-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Dec 2 Friday
B= 2 c milk, vits
L= stew, sweet pot casserole
D= 1/2 homemade hamburger pizza, 2 c cran juice
S= cutie oranges 2-3, coffee
S= 2 c milk
E= 25 very slow min on the treadmill + 30min mostly seated yoga- subbing spinal twist {my favorite} for the harder poses {down dog, cobra} to baby my back

Right= not eating without hunger, no sweets

Wrong = spending too much time sitting at computer. My favorite online source of workout DVD's is having a sale so I've been watching a lot of workout clips.

Regret= I'm thinking....

Guac, sorry about the gain. try to accept and move on; don't beat yourself up.

NE, hope you mood improves and you have a good weekend

Natamars, I'm getting better. Some pain left in neck, ribs and butt but I'm walking and managed some exercise.

Ashley, good attitude with the brownies

natamars
12-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Just back from our 5K. It was my son's first. He had a hard time with it - he'd never run over a mile before but didn't want to train with me. It was a little frustrating because I had to keep stopping to go back to him and check on him and he would get upset whenever I went ahead. I had to talk him through the whole thing. I jogged the whole time but he kept doing intervals, which I kept trying to tell him was harder. Anyway we finished in 37:57, my slowest time yet but great for his first one. Absolutely beautiful weather here on Long Island and a fun, well-organized race.

Slightly down to 134.8 this morning. I picked up pizza for my family last night and didn't eat any myself. HUGE NSV for me! Still sticking with the no night eating.

pp, fantastic job on modifying the exercise but still sticking with it.

guac, YAY for getting back on the scale even though it was scary. Those 2 lbs. will be gone in no time.

NE, sorry you had a rough night. But stopping at 4 cookies when you're upset is not bad!

Ash, how'd the brownies turn out?

patchworkpenguin
12-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Natamars, good job introducing your son to exercise, and helping him live an active life, that alone is worth a few mintues.

guacamole
12-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Felt so hungry this morning. I overate this weekend again - and have another function to attend tonight that is serving a gourmet buffet by one of my favorite restaurants!

The stomach is a funny thing...the more food you feed it, the more it desires - the less you feed it the less it requires!

I need to get on track this week.

natamars
12-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Ugh, what a stressful day. My extremely clumsy DH sliced open his finger while cutting drywall for the bathroom. We all had to book to the ER - I hadn't brushed my teeth and was still in my pajamas with no bra. Anyway, the jury is still out - he needed 6 stitches and there is still the possibility of nerve damage because the cut was so deep. He has to see a hand specialist Tuesday. Of course he went right back home and started working on the bathroom again. Oy vey.

Anyway, I did not get in my run or any other exercise today. So-so with food - I stopped and grabbed a slice of pizza and a sweetened iced tea at some point between getting my son to chess and swimming. Other than that it was a few granola bars ..oh, had made a healthy breakfast sandwich with one egg, a little cheese, a veggie sausage, and a whole grain english muffin before the ER run.

pp, your comment made me smile..thanks.

patchworkpenguin
12-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Sat Dec 3
B= 2 c milk, vits
L- 1/2 OV Chicken Rusitca Sand {leftover}
L= 1/2 Commisary 1/2 sand, 1/2 beans, few fries
D= Stew, dressing, 2 RR squares
E=none

Right - splitting sandwich with Hubby

Wrong- not resisiting the temptation of Hubby's fries

Regret= spent too much time sitting at computer

Sun Dec 4
B=4 c milk, vits, poptart
L= Jason's Deli Polla Mexicana spud, extra light ranch
D=stew, dressing, peas and carrots, cornbread
S= 2 Resses PBC
E= 46min treadmill {listening to new mp3}

Right= only 1 poptart, shared last bites of spud with Hubby so I wouldn't be too full, managed to save files off old mp3

Wrong= more sitting

Regret=

I bought myself a new mp3 player, Phillips Vibe 8G. Its not much smaller than the old one, has a readable screen, and Hubby can put all our music, my Cardio Coaches, etc without my having to mess with it too much; that feature alone was worth an extra $20 for the extra 4G.

My backside/ribs are better but some stablizer muscles and a deep glute are still sore.

Natamars, I hope your Hubby's hand heals quickly.

Guac, I like your stomach quote.

natamars
12-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Feel awful today. The sore throat started last night - I swear I think I picked up something in the ER. And this morning it's worse, plus my period is starting. UGH!

Took a sick day so I'm going to try to rest up..already had some tea and chicken soup. I tend to overeat when I have a cold, so I need to be careful. Definitely skipping the gym tonight.

pp, sounds like you had a good weekend! The new mp3 sounds like a great motivator.

NEMom
12-05-2011, 09:54 AM
I don't think I would ever admit to saying this but I am so glad this weekend is over! I had a stressful, awful weekend and I am glad it is gone.
The one thing good about the weekend was we went to a family holiday dinner on Sunday and I ate mostly meat and some deviled eggs. I stayed away from the fatty potato sides and did not even stand at the dessert table. I did have one small piece of angel food cake and took the frosting off but I had one of my boys get it for me so I did not have the temptation of all the sweets.
While I met my original goal, I would like to go for 10lbs more off. Stepped on the scale this morning and it said 159.4. I can't believe my weight started with a 15 even if it is followed by a 9. Hope to see the same number tomorrow morning.

guacamole-so agree with your quote. The more I eat, the more I want to eat.

natamars - Congrats on finishing the 5k, you rock girl! Hope your feeling better soon. Ouch, I hope you husbands finger heals quickly without the nerve damage.

pp - Sorry you are still a bit sore. Hope the ribs and back side heal soon.

Happy Monday all. Hope you have a successful week.

patchworkpenguin
12-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Bread and Laundry today. Its raining again, the ground is already soaked from all the rain of last week so we are getting huge puddles, all of which April <--- had to walk though; I'm surprised she didn't drown while sniffing the ground.

Natamars, I hope you feel better soon. Take care of yourself.

NE, hopefully your week will be better than the weekend. Good idea to get your son to get the cake for you.

guacamole
12-05-2011, 12:55 PM
natamars - hope that your husband and you are feeling better

NE - Sometimes weekends aren't all they are cracked up to be! Sounds like you did awesome at your holiday meal. Looks like most of us are going to have to dodge these "landmine" celebrations during the month of December! I went to a party last night and stuffed myself silly. The only good news is that we left before the desserts came out!

On another note - I went shoe shopping yesterday and was surprised to find that I went down 1/2 size. I have been noticing that some of my current shoes are too loose. I did go up a full shoe size over the last 10 years, but I figured that was due to having babies. There is an old wives tale that says being pregnant makes your feet bigger. Or is it just fat that makes your feet bigger? I definitely noticed this fall that I can wear boots again, but that is because my legs are a bit smaller - last year I couldn't get any boots to zip over my calves. But the feet themselves? Weird.

Ashley777
12-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Had a great Saturday foodwise not so great sunday, at least both days were not bad.

Natamars way to go on supporting your 8yr old, I use to take my 8 year old when I would go for long walks and she would ride her bike, worked for both of us, otherwise it would have taken hours :)

Didn't make brownies on the weekend yay i guess.
Guac love the quote.
nemom congrats on the scale I remember when I hovered between 160 and 170 for years and felt terrible, good grief now I am way past that.

Guac I so love your quote and recently heard that the more we feed the flesh the more it wants and is never satisfied, that works for almost anything - food, shopping, alchohol, ciggarettes. The flesh only knows one word - more.....

guacamole
12-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Ashley - I wish I hadn't made brownies this weekend, but I did, and now they are resting uncomfortably within my midsection! Weekends are a killer for me foodwise.

I made my food quote a part of my signature to remind myself not to overeat. I think it's true that any vice we feed will only cause it to grow.

On the upside...I spent the morning making a vegetable bin soup - threw in carrots, sweet potatoes, idaho potatoes, celery, parsnips, turnips, spinach, parsley, tomatoes, crushed garlic, leeks, yellow onions, yellow and orange peppers - sauteed everything in about 2 tablespoons of canola oil, then added 12 cups of water and boiled them all up. Added 2 teaspoons thyme, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 cup tamari soy sauce. Before boiling, I took a cheese cloth bag and put in chick peas, sliced carrots, and cubed potatoes and plopped it in the pot to boil along with everything else. After it boiled for 1 1/2 hours, I removed the cheese cloth bag and blended everything else up with an immersion blender, dumped in the contents of the cheese cloth bag and stirred it all up. I had some for lunch and it was awesome! Really hearty stick to your ribs kind of soup. I have enough to serve for dinner tonight as well as for lunches/dinner for me during the week. I just love discovering a hearty healthy meal that's delicious too!

patchworkpenguin
12-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Dec 5 Mon
L= turkey sand w port wine cheese
D= soup, bread
S= Butterfinger, fruit
S=2 cinnamon bread, 2 c milk
E= 45min pilates/yoga/cardio fusion

Right= exercised, ate fruit when I wanted more sweets

Regret= had a slice of cinnamon bread fresh from the oven, handed it to Hubby, I thought he'd take A bite, he took a few BIG bites, so I felt to get 'my fair share', I HAD to have another slice. I definatly need to work on the fair share thing. buying the Butterfinger

doing the workout really bothering my back ribs on the right side, where I landed. I tried to do 'triangle' leaning to that side, but only got a few inches over before it hurt! I don't have a surface bruise but the area is really sore to the touch and I'm wondering if I didn't bruise or crack a rib. My glute is fine but my hipbone is sore when I leaned on it to stretch. I thought I was almost healed but I'll have to baby myself a while longer.

Guac, your soup sounds wonderful. I was supposed to make soup yesterday but time got away from me so we opened cans.

guacamole
12-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Hello, everyone!

patchwork - I really know what you mean about feeling that it's only fair for me to eat something extra. Anytime I would share food with my husband, he would always take the bigger portion and it would make me angry!

Actually, something like this happened over the weekend, when a sandwich I ordered came with fries. As the meal arrived, I got up from the table to wash my hands, and my husband reached in and grabbed a fistful of my fries (his meal didn't come with fries). I felt that old anger creep up again, until I reasoned with myself that I am not supposed to be eating fries at all!!! Neither is my husband, but that's another issue. In the end, I gave the rest of my fries to my son and didn't have any - yeah! Funnily, on the way home, my husband was patting himself on the back that he ate healthy at the restaurant, eating only a chicken sandwich with no fries. I held my tongue.

Anyway, a quick update that I was at a meeting last night, and at the end, a glorious dessert and hors d'oeuvre buffet was revealed. I munched on a celery stick with about a tablespoon of guacamole dip - and left everything else alone!

This morning I woke up so hungry, that I basically ate lunch for breakfast. A salmon fillet with some spicy homemade guacamole (guess the guac last night whetted my appetite!). So, I will make some vegetable juice later this afternoon for lunch and take it easy on my calories for the rest of the day. That's the plan!

AnnieDrews
12-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Hi ladies! Been busy, busy here with holiday preps, etc. Got our outdoor lights up on Sunday and have the tree up and lit inside. My boys will both be home tonight w/ one girlfriend and we will put ornaments/tinsel on after a healthy supper. I have a wonderful recipe for baked tilapia and will serve w/ rice and steamed green beans. Have some baked goods I got as a gift, but I think I can be good with those.

Guac-My feet shrank some when I lost weight, too. I no longer have to buy wide sizes!

My scale was acting weird all weekend, but I went with about 157 for my official weight. T-giving seems to have caught up with me. I'll adjust my ticker this week when I see what it says on Thurs./Fri.

Keeping up with exercise and trying to resist as many Christmas goodies as possible.

I am taking the day off Friday to attend son's talent show at school. He is doing a comedy act! Excited and nervous for him. That afternoon I'll pop back into work for our Christmas lunch. Then to Trans Siberian Orchestra on Sat. afternoon! It will be our 5th time in a row to see them at Christmas. Can't wait!!

patchworkpenguin
12-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Tuesday, Dec 6
L= Rafferty's cup Potato soup, 1/2 BBQ burger
D=homemade Maple Roasted chicken with onion, carrots, potatos, brussel sprouts {Semihomemade with Sandra Lee}
S= ice cream, choc chips + syrup
E= none

Right= ate half burger, more veggies than chicken

Regret= ice cream sundae for snack...could have made a better choice, but that was the last of the ice cream we bought a few weeks ago. Normally ice cream doesn't last that long around the house. Could have exercised.

One of my Bible study friends came to get me, we met some others at the church to set up for our Leader's Christmas luncheon tomorrow. I'm sure the tables/chairs will be set up and there will just be tablecloths, plates, centerpieces and the like. My friend offered to take me to lunch after we set up today. She's discovered my secret "feed me and I'm will help!". She did get some heavy labor out of me, we had to rearrange the tables and chairs but it wasn't bad.

I took some headache asprin and it seems to help my back/butt. yay

Annie, yay for getting your ornaments up! I was listening to a beautiful song on KLOVE by TSO based on Pachabel's Canon; enjoy the concert! Best to DS!

Guac, lol on your Hubby's preception of healthy eating. Wise not to call him on it. Good job on resisting dessert!

Ashley777
12-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Good day yesterday, the night before I decided to make yesterday a no sugar day (cept for fruit) well everytime I have done this my favourite goodies show up at work, whyyyyy on the day i decide to do this but it was good i did not eat any mini cupcakes with lots of frosting and did not eat chocolate covered macaroons even though I walked by them a hundred times. Just goes to show we really can do this a day at a time. today there are still a few cupcakes left but they have lost there appeal for me. I like them fresh and cold from the fridge they were left on the counter all night so gross.
I do plan on baking sugar cookies for Christmas I think that is all I will make, they are everyones favorite and I like to give a few tins away, they are alot of work so I only make them once or twice a year. Once they are baked and cooled I do ice them with decorator icing that hardens so they are very yummy. going to have daughter and grandaughter come help decorate this year doing something with the little ones makes it fun. I will try and hide some in the freezer for myself so I don't feel like I have to eat 10 at once because there wont' be anymore left.

PP - your christmas luncheon sounds like fun.

Annie - hope your sons act goes well!

Well its been 3 years and two weeks and hubby finally has his imigration meeting on the 14. Not sure why it takes so long here but after the meeting he will be officially a permanent resident of Canada. It is nice to have the waiting and the work over with. when I became a permanent resident in the U.S it only took 3 months for my work permit and 6 months for my permanent resident card. It took a month for his work permit and this long for permanent resident.
Hope everyone has a good day.

natamars
12-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Finally back at work today. Still have cold symptoms, plus woke up with MAJOR cramps. Fun. I can't take lying around any more though. Eating going well so far today(let myself eat and drink what I wanted the last 2 days) and will try to get in some elliptical at the gym tonight. Won't get on the scale for several days as I ate extra carbs and salty soup.

Ash, great job on avoiding the sugar! Curious, do you go through withdrawls on those days?

pp, glad you're feeling better.

annie, sounds like you;re having a great holiday season! Other than buying gifts I've done nothing - gotta get into it this weekend.

guac, you should be so proud of yourself for avoiding that buffet. Sounds like it was beautiful! Good idea to switch meals around afterward.

Looks like DH is going to have surgery on his finger on Friday, but there will still be some permanent nerve damage. You would think this would teach him, but no..he went right back to it after the ER visit, and I'm sure he'll do the same Friday. Will have to make sure the sedation is worn off at least.

guacamole
12-07-2011, 01:33 PM
patch - sounds like you are figuring out the best way to eat for yourself - I love how you track your meals and snacks - I try but am not diligent about it.

annie - enjoy your son's show and the concert!

ashley - great job avoiding sugar! One day at a time... Hope your husband's immigration meeting goes smoothly.

natamars - hope you feel better soon. Your husband sounds like a hard worker with lots of energy!

Stuffed myself today, but with good things. Tea with raw sugar, strawberry greek yogurt with some Kelloggs Smart Start cereal for crunch, water, vegetable soup, and a giant spinach salad with some tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and leftover baked salmon I made on Monday. I am really full right now, and glad to know that I can feel full on healthy things.

Confession - I have been shopping WAY too much recently. My fear about replacing eating with shopping is becoming a reality. At least I am aware of it, so I can stop it. For example, this morning I went to Walmart for a hamper. They didn't have the kind I wanted, so I left without a hamper. But - I also left with a furry zipped hoodie for me, clothes and pajamas for my kids - all things I hadn't planned on buying! Yesterday I went "thrifting" at two great thrift stores I sometimes frequent and bought tons of stuff - some needed some not. I also have been buying makeup at Target and online at ELF and Ulta.

I really need to stop....It's at a point where I am afraid to go into stores for essentials because I am afraid to get sidetracked. So many deals so little time!

patchworkpenguin
12-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Guac, we used to do our weekly grocery shopping at Walmart, but then we changed to Krogers, which is closer to us anyway. I discovered we were buying fewer impulse items at Krogers, they put items on sale consistantly, and we have th Plus card advantages {including coupons!}. Now unless I need something 'Walmart specific' I try to stay out of there!

Natamars, your poor Hubby. :hug:

Ashley, congratulations to your Hubby!

Ashley777
12-07-2011, 03:13 PM
man its a cold wind today, but got my walk in. yay

PP - it is so easy to buy more at walmart for sure.

Natamars- i don't go thru sugar withdrawals till day 3 or 4 probably cause i ate so much the day before, i was barley even hungry all day.

I know if i could just tough it out fruit would fill the sugar desire just fine, if you go without any sugar for a few days fruit tastes amazing.

natamars
12-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Ugh..night eating again. Managed to cut myself off and got to the gym in time to get 35 minutes on the elliptical. Good news is I'm feeling much better.

ash, good for you for getting your walk in! I have sugar withdrawls right away. I am told I get extremely cranky. I know this means I'm eating too much, and I'd be better off avoiding it as much as possible.

guac, what gorgeous food you ate today!!

patchworkpenguin
12-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Wed Dec 7
L= luncheon, chicken casserole, salad, green beans, 3 brownies
S= clementine
D= sloppy joes, fries
S= 2 poptarts, 2 c milk
D= cereal
E= none

Right- I had a good morning, ate well at the luncheon, came home happy

Regret- but I had a really bad night. I was in a horrible mood, overate at dinner, then had 2 snacks for the night. Even as I was pouring the cereal I was arguing with myself that I wasn't hungry and didn't need to eat this!!! Why don't I listen to myself????

Zumbachica
12-08-2011, 06:57 AM
Hi all...I'm back after a stressful hiatus...I realized that no matter what is going on in my life I should still take care of myself.....Trying to figure out how I'm going to do this, I need a plan. Have the Body for Life for Women book..I remember going to a presentation by Dr Pamela Peeke..I felt she truly understood the challenge of trying to lose weight in your forties..Problem is finding the time to read the book! Look forward to chatting with you all....and getting through the holidays without a dreaded weight gain like I do every year....

guacamole
12-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Hello, everyone! This morning I had a blueberry greek yogurt with 1/2 cup of Kashi GoLean Crunch. This cereal is awesome! I like it much better than Kelloggs Smart Start. My question is - like almost everything else that tastes too good - is it good for me? 1 cup has 190 calories and 3 grams of fat. Anyone else eat Kashi Cereals.

On another note, I am back to being tested again with my food choices. Cooking up a storm for weekend guests again - brownies, breads, roast, potatoes, etc.... Of course there will be salad and vegetables too. How do I eat in moderation? I am a carb/baked goods addict. Last week I started munching on stuff Thursday night already - and continued on through the weekend!

I weighed in this morning at 173lbs. This is down from the 174lbs from last week, but that's my pattern. Blow it with a bad weekend or holiday indulgences, behave during the week, blow it again over the weekend. No wonder I keep gaining and losing the same few pounds without making progress!

Ashley777
12-08-2011, 11:53 AM
WElcome back Zambachia!

natatmars - i have alot more fat on my body then you do so i wonder if I dont get them right away cause my body is happily burning the excess fat.

Guac - i somehow missed your post about shopping instead of eating - my gosh I do the very same thing. when my food is good i want to go shopping or it is harder to stay on track in the grocery store cause so many stores have other stuff. It is such a discipline for sure. I hope your weekend goes well.

Well after having been on track for a few days and no sugar and even walked away from buying anythiing but the bread I needed at the store yesterday some mini cupcakes showed up in our kitchen at work. they are my favorite Christmas ones chocolate with white and blue icing. so I did take two and have them in the freezer for later today or tomorrow. I dont know why I took 2 probably cuase I walked by them in safeway yesterday and resisted the temtation to buy them, they are so small and will fit into my calories for sure. Just have to make sure I dont eat one now and one for monday or something. Goodies really are good when I can have self control and have a little.
-15 today not sure if I can walk outside at lunch as I did not bring my winter weather pants, although I can do inside just fine.

patchworkpenguin
12-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Today was our last day of Bible study until Jan 5! I'm tired and I want to go collapse someplace!:p

Guac, If I remember correctly, the Kashi cereals have a lot of sugar per serving. You might check that.

Chicha, welcome back. Hope you find the time to read and that the book is helpful!

Ashley, I shared some choc truffles with my Mom yesterday, then someone gave her a package today, so she shared them with me! 'Smaller portions for everyone' or 'you have to give to get', or something!:dizzy:

patchworkpenguin
12-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Thurs Dec 8
B= 2 c milk, vits
L= Olive Garden Salad, 1 breadstick, chicken & gnoochi soup
D= Olive Garden Chicken Florentine paninni {leftover from lunch}
S=3-4 pinwheel cookies
E= none

Right= didn't eat until I was hungry, didn't overeat at lunch

Regret= only planned 2 pinwheels but ate 4. I"m not going to beat myself up about it.

I've been so tired all day. I ended up taking a hour long nap this afternoon, I just couldn't stay awake any longer; I think my body thinks today is Friday.

Our Bible study is taking our Christmas break, we won't resume until Jan 5. I'm going to try to use the next four weeks to really concentrate on my eating and exercise.

natamars
12-09-2011, 05:55 AM
No night eating last night, but no exercise either. Went straight from work to Cub Scouts pack night, and was beat by the time I got home. Eating during the day went well.

Working from home today so will def. get some exercise in. Will also weigh in tomorrow - hopefully water weight from "that time" and the extra carbs will be gone.

pp, sounds like you had a good day! Enjoy your rest while you can.

ash, that's a real victory with the cupcakes! What self-control you have!

guac, I've been in the same boat so many times. When I was really successfully losing I pretty much had to avoid social situations and meals out. I know this is not recommended, that we're supposed to learn to deal with everyday life, but this is what's worked best for me..I think if we can all maintain through the holidays we're doing OK.

Ashley777
12-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Morning all -- lost the battle with the cupcakes yesterday, not going to beat myself up as I am back on track and resisited temptation many times this week, also bought a back of Sour cream cheddar lays on the way home. Not really a big chip eater maybe once twice a month but for some reason they were like a drug last night. Probably cause I have done so well this week. My mind is at a good place today often after binging one evening it will carry onto the next day and maybee even one more but not today. I feel mentally well and not in the same state of 'oh i have so much to loose what is the point' or well 'i am stressed i will eat' or 'i will start again tomorrow' or 'well Ive done well recently i will eat today'. I guess it is kind of a NSV for today. Those are all such lies and it feels good to not have to believe them.

Christmas is so hard food wise lots of food you only see at christmas, trying to have a daily talk with myself about how much better I will feel and how happier i will be if I eat within my boundries.

patchworkpenguin
12-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Friday Dec 9
S= fruit
D=Sloppy Joe Pizza = leftover sloppy joe sauce, cabbage, corn, ched + moz cheese {not a big success, I make pizza every Friday out of leftovers and always feel very Iron Chef while trying to make it work:dizzy:} + 1 cookie
S=Cereal
E= 40min LB + 10min yoga

Right= exercised, waited for hunger, shared cereal with April

Regret= skipped lunch, wanted to do some more cardio but didn't.

Ashley, When I cut down on the chocolate I started craving crunchy foods so I can't trust myself with chips anymore. I hear you on the foods we only get at the holidays.

Natamars, I hope you got some rest. The weekend is coming at least.

natamars
12-10-2011, 06:29 AM
Crazy day yesterday. Had to drop DH off for his surgery at 7, get my son to school, went to the gym(only got in 20 minutes on the treadmill then the dr's office called and I had to pick DH up), worked from home, went to my son's school to read to the class, then went back home and worked until 6. DH's surgery went well, but he was pretty moody and cranky all day. I bought Chinese food for the family for dinner and ate nothing - went upstairs to put away laundry while they ate.

I'm still up about .6, probably from TOM and the higher calories/carbs earlier in the week. Hoping to take off that and a few more this week. DH has a work Christmas party next Friday - he's still not sure if he wants to go. I'd rather skip it - his co-workers are an interesting group, to say the least. The party's at a steakhouse - I don't eat red meat, but there would probably be a fish option.

Have to share the cutest thing the kids in my son's class all wrote thank you notes after I read to them. One of them wrote on my card "You are a beautiful woman". How sweet is that? I was smiling all day.

pp, another great day for you! You still having any pain from your fall?

ash, you're doing great..keep doing what you're doing.

PO'ed beyond belief that I have to work this weekend..some problems cam up in the last few days and I have to resolve them by Monday. I haven't baked or decorated anything yet.

natamars
12-10-2011, 07:18 PM
OK, not going to eat again today..cut off food about 5PM. Pretty good day..walked .8 miles, ran 3.2, made it up the big hill without stopping. Calories about 1500.

Back to work - hope everyone's having a great weekend.

patchworkpenguin
12-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Sat Dec 10
Brunch= 2 c milk, vits, 1 egg, 2 french toast made from homemade cinnamon bread
L= homemade chicken/veggie soup, 1 bread, 2 choc truffles
D= 1 cup potato/steak soup. extra cheese, 3 clementines
S= cheese and crackers.
E= short dog walk

Right= mostly waited for hunger, got in the dog walk

Regret= didn't get much done on to-do list, slept very late, cheese and crackers snack, staying up to late!

Natamars, What a busy day! I hope your hubby is doing well following his surgery.

natamars
12-11-2011, 08:22 PM
So-so day. No night eating but no exercise either. Too busy with work, shopping, and chauferring my son around. Ate fairly healthy, but could have done better.

Thanks, pp, DH is doing better.

patchworkpenguin
12-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Dec 11, Sun
B= 2 french toast, whipped cream, coffee
L=Jason's Deli, Plain Jane potato, cup of Texas chili poured over
D= Panera Steak and Cheese paninni
S= poptart, 2 choc truffles.
E= none

Right= stopping at 2 slices of toast! didn't order the yummy peppermint cookie at Panera

Regret= I feel like I ate a lot overall today, but when I write it out it doen't look that bad. I did eat too much at lunch, I was full but kept eating, I should have stopped and taken the rest home. I usually skip breakfast on Sun because we go right to lunch after service. No exercise.

Hubby made french toast out of my cinnamon bread for breakfast today! I have a huge list of things to do this weekend {or the next}, things we've been putting off week after week. But it was a pretty uneventful day here. Church, groc shopping and recycling done, but little else. :(

NEMom
12-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Had a busy busy week last week and hoping it will be quieter this week. Being super busy stresses me out and makes me want to eat and eat.
Food had not be great but not awful this week. Make a promise to myself to have a more on plan week. Really need to work on my night eating and not going back for seconds.
Hubby and I had date night on Sat. We don't often go out just the two of us, it is hard sometimes to carry a conversation without others around. He did tell me that he has started exercising and is working on recognizing his eating habits and trying to improve them. He really needs to lose about 30 lbs, where he carries his weight, around this chest and stomach is the highest risk for a heart attack and it does run in his family. I keep trying to stress to him that I am most worried about being widowed young.
Happy Monday All!

Zumbachica
12-12-2011, 02:48 PM
After being out of the "game" for a while I'm back. I gained back all the weight I worked so hard to lose last time I was here...back to the drawing board. I have decided to do the low carb thing to try and get my cravings under control, then I'm going to try the Body For Life for women program. I met Dr Peeke the author at a convention and was really impressed with her approach for losing weight. I just hope I can get through the holidays without losing my will power...not invited to many parties so I think it is doable.:dizzy:

natamars
12-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Ugh! Had a bagel w/ a little cream cheese for b'fast which I'd planned on. Didn't plan on the 2 munchkins, cookie, chocolate covered almonds, and slice of 7-layer cake. Fely sick form all the suagr. Am eating some grilled chicken breast on a salad riht now to try to counter-act. Did 20 minutes on teh stairs, and will go to the gym tonight.

zumba, you can do this - you can do anything you set your mind to!! I don't have a lot of parties either..sometimes I'm happy I have no social life!

NEMom, that's great your husband is making positive changes..are you exercising together?

pp, you day sounds pretty good, sometimes it seems worse than it is. hope today goes well for you.

Ashley777
12-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Looks like everyone is busy!

Had a busy weekend too, took two of the grandaughters to a Christmas party on Sat, it was a gong show but I think they had fun, santa making cookies, facepainting, lunch then they slept over, my gosh one forgets how much work little ones are. Sunday made dough for cookies then put dough in freezer ran out of time to make them went to grocery store, skipped church but hubby took one of the girls, so had some alone time with the younger one which pretty much never happens cause sister is always there. It was fun. Food was bad sat, and I ate some nachos last night which gave me bad heartburn all night although they are okay to eat the way i make them, had some bluberry pie but dont like pie crust so basically ate blueberry pie filling, they jsut looked so good should of bought some frozen ones.
On plan today and went for a good walk at lunch.
Then daughter called, her oldest (4) slammed her thumb in the van door and may be broken, she had to go to hospital with her. Waiting to hear if it is broken. :(

Trying to stay on plan, for the day so far so good!

guacamole
12-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Hello, everyone! My weekend eating was a bit better than last week - but not by much.

Too much information alert - so don't read if you are squimish -

TOM showed up and I am feeling bloated and crampy. One bad thing about my weight loss is that my periods have come back with a vengeance! I don't know if anyone else has noticed this issue, but when I was at my high weight and up until the 180s, my period would come regularly but it would be very light. In fact, for someone who always had terrible PMS, I had almost no PMS at all. Sometimes my period would just sneak up on me with no warning but the calendar date. I have to admit, this was all very nice! Since I got into the 170s, however, all the old symptoms have come back. Horrible PMS and heavy periods. Ugh! This I could do without!

Anyway, I have barely eaten anything today but some yogurt and Kashi cereal and tea. I just have no appetite. I have a dinner to go to tonight and will see what I eat. I haven't used anywhere near the calories I need today, so if the food is decent, at least I won't feel guilty about eating!

Hope you are all having a healthy on-plan day!

patchworkpenguin
12-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Mon, Dec 12
B= 2 c milk, vits
L= 1 c baked potato & steak soup, TCC = 6 triscuits, chicken, cheese
D= 2 c homemade chicken/veggie soup, 2 choc truffles
S= 2 cinnamon bread, 2 c choc milk
E= 70min LB + 36min treadmill

Right= Exercised, finished entire to-do list for today!,

Regret= cinnamon bread was a 'want' not 'hunger'. too big a gap between breakfast and lunch.

Weight = no change

Guac, I'm sorry that you are having such a hard time with TOM.

Ashley, I hope all is well with your GD.

Natamars, try to remember that 'sugar sick feeling' next time you are faced with a bunch of treats. Easy to say, hard to follow! :dizzy:

Chica, I've heard of Body for Life but never looked into it. Can you give a few details???

NE, how wonderful that Hubby is making and effort to be healthier!

NEMom
12-13-2011, 09:18 AM
PP & Natamars - Thanks for the support for Hubby. We are not exercising together but I am trying to be as supportive of his efforts as I can. We are in our 17 year of marriage (OMG), he has loved me fat and thinner, I have no place to judge him. Just want him to be around a long time.

Yesterday I made a goal of not over eating at dinner and having only one snack before bed. I met this goal. I only had a normal dinner portion, no seconds and one sensible bed time snack. I am making a goal today of the same. NO stuffing myself at dinner, no second helpings and only one sensible bed time snack if I am hungry.

I have decided NO holiday baking at my house this year. It is too much temptation for me to resist, plus, none of my other family members need all that around either.
Happy Tuesday all!!!

Zumbachica
12-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Okay let's try this AGAIN!!! Totally screwed up yesterday. Went to the diner with a person after the gym and instead of just having salad she convinced me of splitting a napolean pastry with her!! UGH..I was so disgusted with myself I went home and had chocolate...figured I was already in the hole. So today is a new day..so far very low carbs...lets see if I can get through dinner and the rest of the night. Bought some Atkins products to help me get through, I remember they were a big help the last time.....the shakes sometimes kept me from skipping lunch and then losing my willpower in the late afternoon....

I am reading everyone's posts, I hope to get to know you all better. There is a lot of great energy on this board.

Zumbachica
12-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Patchwork: not sure about the body for life program except that it involves weight lifting exercises and a diet that seems to be on the low carb side. Will let you know more after I read the book. I have free membership at one of the gyms that I work at so I have access to equipment..i have no excuses!!

natamars
12-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Pretty good eating day - about 1100 calories, mostly healthy. I'm trying intermittent fasting, so I'm working on limiting my calories to 9am-3pm or so. Only did minimal stair clmibing at work - may still do some abs, light weights, and leg lifts while I watch Biggest Loser. Planning on an early-morning jog.

zumba, sounds like today's going better..I was also on chocolate overload yesterday and felt like crap afterward...let's try to remember that feeling. I'm starting my holiday baking tomorrow, so this will be tough. I know there's no way I'll abstain 100%, but I need to keep it under control and increase my exercise to counteract.

NEMom, what a great attitude you and your DH both have. Mine has made some positive changes and I am trying to encourage without nagging..I need to follow your example.

pp, that's a lot of exercise!!

guac, hope you are feeling better today - sorry you had such a rough time! I can't wait to be done with my period once and for all, but based on family history I have a while to go!

ash, hope your granddaughter is doing OK.

guacamole
12-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Pigged out at a dinner reception last night. Felt sick afterwards. Today I ate well and got in 30 minutes of moderate walking on my elliptical machine. All in all, not a bad day. TOM still around...my face is all broken out. I feel like a teenager, but not in a good way! Took some ibuprofen tonight to help with cramps and back ache, and am ready for bed. I am getting frustrated at the scale not moving, but I know that I can't keep going off plan on the weekends like I have been.

Good luck to everyone tonight and tomorrow - cheers to an on-plan day!

patchworkpenguin
12-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Dec 13, Tues
B= 2 c milk, vits
L= 3 c leftover roasted veggies
S= 2 clementines
D= Baked Stew {from Taste of Home Diet Comfort Food cookbook}, 1 bread
S= ice cream
E=36m UB

Right= I lost a lb! I'm sure I'll find it tomorrow but for today its gone! did an extra good job on cleaning house. Did my UB workout even though I was tired and I didn't want to

Regret= The ice cream; it was okay but nothing great, I could have spent those calories on something better

Cleaning house took me a lot longer than I thought it would because I kept taking breaks because of my back, but I'm happy to say that I got everything done! I did squeeze in KCM's 30MTF Split Sessions UB today. In the middle of the workout we were to lay on our backs for flies/bench press, so I rolled down and each vertebra cracked on the way down. Ekkk! Felt much better afterwards but yuck, although I do tend to pop and crack whenever I move. There were a few exercises at the end, mostly ab related, that I couldn't do because of the sore back.

My parents are taking me out to lunch tomorrow.

Guac, glad to hear you feel better today than yesterday, hope tomorrow is better with TOM

Natamars, I didn't intend to do that much LB, I had what I call a Goldilocks workou;. I didn't like the first DVD i tried so stuck in another, that one was 'just right'

Chica, thanks for the insight.

NE, good job on meeting your goal! No baking is probably wise.

NEMom
12-14-2011, 09:54 AM
I met my goal again, kept my dinner reasonable, no seconds and had on 100 calorie fudge bar for my evening snack. Two whole nights in a row, making a goal this morning to make it three days.

Natamars-Congrats on having a good calorie day. I have considered trying IF but just do not think I can go long periods without eating. Let me know if you think it has helped with your weight loss.

guacamole - Good job getting your exercise in. Sorry your face has broken out, I am so ready to be over this whole TOM thing, they can take my woman parts anytime they want, I am done!

pp- Can you come clean my house? lol. Good job getting everything accomplished and getting your exercise in. I have not tried exercising to DVD's, I am way too uncoordinated and afraid I will hurt myself.

We have had rain here for 4 days, I so need some sun. Happy humb day all!

patchworkpenguin
12-14-2011, 11:04 AM
NE, I find DVD's to be easier to follow than any of the classes I've attended. First, there's rewind! I started with dvds in '06 when I began to exercise regularly. I checked the same beginner Denise Austin VHS out of the library several months in a row before I felt comfortable moving onto something else. Its hard to guage the 'level' of a dvd from the cover blurb but some online sources will have reviews or some online stores will give them a level so you don't end up trying to do a advanced dvd when you are just starting out. I like dvds because I can workout on my schedule.

Our high today is supposed to be 70* but its overcast and we are expecting rain for the next 4 days.

Zumbachica
12-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Well here I am still trying to get on the low carb bandwagon..so NOT easy this time..not sure why. So far so good today.....had a hard boiled egg, an atkins shake and cheese for lunch..looking forward to some grilled chicken fajita tonight without the tortilla.......

guacamole
12-14-2011, 05:20 PM
:lol: NEMom - "I am so ready to be over this whole TOM thing, they can take my woman parts anytime they want, I am done!"

I can relate! Feeling much better today, cramp wise. Thank goodness. My face is slowly clearing up.

Was out and about today, and didn't get any exercise in except some dancing around the house with my headphones for about 20 minutes!

Had a strawberry greek yogurt and Kashi cereal for breakfast. Went out to lunch with my husband. Had water, and we split two different sandwiches on whole wheat. However, I try not to eat bread or cheese during the week, so it was definitely off plan! Tasty, though. Afterwards, my husband ordered a large chocolate pastry for us to split, which I am proud to say I resisted! Boy did I want it, though.

Been good so far - no snacking, and no real appetite to speak of either. Only water so far. We shall see how the evening goes....

natamars
12-14-2011, 08:34 PM
About 1400 calories today - need to start writing it down instead of estimating. Stoppped eating at 4. Jogged 4 miles this morning - very happy with myself! Decided I'm doing a half-marathon in May so I'm adding one length of my road to my long run every week..by late March I hope to be able to run 13 miles.

Went with my mom, sister, and son to see the holiday train show at the NY Botanical Garden. It was absolutely beautiful - the buildings they craft out of all plant materals are amazing.

guac, resisting the chocolate pastry is impressive. And dancing counts as exercise!!

zumba, I find low-carb really hard. I give you a lo of credit for going that route. I think it takes a lot of planning. Sounds like your day is going well.

NE, I do think IF helps, but I haven't been doing it long enough or consistently enough to be sure. I'm up early, usually 5 or so, and I try to be in bed by 10. I find when I eat at night I don't make great choices - I just keep picking at different things. So it's easier to tell myself I'm just not going to eat anything. I drink a lot of herbal tea to keep my mouth busy!

pp, yay on the lb! How was your lunch?

See you all tomorrow!

patchworkpenguin
12-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Dec 14, Wed
B= 2 c milk, vits
L= 'Acre" 1/2 Sweet Pea Risotto, 1/2 chicken breast
S= slice Chocolate Pumpkin Pie http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/Thanksgiving-Michael-Symon-Chocolate-Pumpkin-Pie
D= baked potato topped with leftover Baked Stew, butter
S=slice pie, whipped cream
E=60min cardio + 30min treadmill later in day

Right=exercised, resisted more pie!

Regret= baking that pie!!!

Lunch: Acre is one of those expensive organic 'foodie' places. I'm not sure why we keep going back; we aren't the most adventurous eaters, my Mom complains because they change the menu a lot, and my parents keep asking me what the ingredients are because I watch Food Network a lot, its one of those places where you need a food dictionary to choose a meal. The food is usually good but I have a hard time finding something to eat.

The pie! I started recording The Chew around Thanksgiving and really enjoy the mix of hosts. Michael Symon made this pie. I followed the recipe and ended up with more filling than would fit in my deep-dish pan so I poured the rest 'crustless' into another pan but its only 1/2 inch thick so I felt pretty good about the three pieces I ate but wait til I get to the real pie. I haven't worked out the cals yet...not sure I want to!

Natamars, good job on the 4 miles.

Guac, good job on resisting the pastry!

NEMom
12-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Well, I did not stick to my goal of limiting my night time eating. Did well with my dinner portions but I had one snack and then right before bed I had another. Two snacks, especially peanut butter on low cal bread was not in the original plan. Ugh, really need to get the night eating under control or I will never lose the final 10lbs I want or maintain my loss. I am promising myself to control the night eating tonight and hope I have more success than last night.

natmars-Congrats on the 4 miles. I am so in awe of you for running that far.

Guac - Good job on resisting the dessert. I bet you felt so good about yourself for passing on it even though it was hard at the time.

PP - I am not a cook or a bakery so I envy your skills in the kitchen.

Zumba - I do not know much about low carb plans, I explored them some before I started this journey but giving up some fruit that I eat on a regular basis was too hard for me.

Happy Thursday all! Hope you have a successful food day.

natamars
12-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Ate about 1400-1500 mostly healthy calories today - oatmeal with fruit, rice, lentils and chicken, salad, yogurt. Oh, and 2 pieces of Godiva. Whoops. Stopped eating at about 4PM.

No exercise - went straight to the hairdresser from work(no more roots - yay!) and just got back - just want to sit and relax. Early day tomorrow.

NEMom, I go through the same picking at night. Sometime I just head upstairs, away from the kitchen. I pack my son's lunch for the next day at the same time I'm getting his dinner together(DH does all the cooking in advance on weekends so we just have to re-heat during the week) and then I'm done with even looking at food. You've been doing great, I'm sure today went much better again.

pp, nice exercise again!

patchworkpenguin
12-16-2011, 12:34 AM
Thurs, Dec 15
B=2 c milk, vits
S= Breakfast muffin {homemade with whole grain, bran cereal, apples carrots...you get the idea}
L=1 cup chili with extra cheese
S= 1/2 c applesauce w added cinn
D= marinated broiled Pork chop, lemon/garlic broccoli, bread w butter
S= choc pumpkin pie w whipped cream
E= 20min cardio + 50min pilates, 45min cardio

Right= exercised twice {splitting workouts out makes it easier}
Regret=nap after dinner, didn't finish to do list

Hubby and I watched the movie Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, which dispite the name is very entertaining and informative. I don't think we'll embrace juicing or fasting, but watching it has insprired both of us to make healthy changes in our lives.

patchworkpenguin
12-16-2011, 11:28 AM
I must be doing something right...I lost another lb. I even got to change my stats. I think its all the extra cardio.

guacamole
12-16-2011, 01:38 PM
patch - congratulations! I am down 1lb this week too!

Did my weekly baking and such for dinner guests. Had some bites and tastes....hope I can keep it together this weekend with my eating! Why are pounds so hard to lose and so easy to gain?

NEMom
12-16-2011, 02:02 PM
PP and Guac - Congrats on the one pound loss!!! That is great!

I hit 60lbs lost today. I have noticed that my body goes in cycles, I will maintain or even gain a pound of two for three weeks. Does not matter what I do, the scale will barley move then then I will hit a week or two period where I will lose. I think it has something to do with my cycle. Oh the joys.

I did pretty well with night eating. Kept dinner portions fairly normal, I did have two snacks but they only totaled 220 calories and fit in my calorie limit for the day, so not too bad.

Have a busy weekend. Going out with a friend tonight, clean house and finish Christmas shopping on Saturday and then I am having cake and ice cream for my daughter and nephew on Sunday. My daughter is turning 20 so really the cake is for my nephew but she gets included since their birthdays are so close and she will always be my baby.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Can't believe Christmas will be here in a little over a week. Yikes.

patchworkpenguin
12-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Dec 16, Friday
B=2 c milk, vits, breakfast muffin, drizzle agave nectar
L= Chicken soup
D=chicken veggie pizza
S= cereal+ banana
E= 20min cardio + 20min UB

Right = exercised, resisted mindless snacking during the day, did lose 1 lb

Regret = would have been satisfied with a smaller bowl of cereal, wasn't very active today, didn't do extra cardio.

NE, congratulations on that 60lbs! great job!

Guac, I hear you on the not eaty!:dizzy:

natamars
12-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Not a good food day yesterday. Started in the morning when someone brought in huge chcocolate covered dried cranberries. Had a healthy breakfast and lunch, but also had about 6 of the cranberries, and 2 cookies someone brought in. Then I decided to let myself have one slice of pizza for dinner, which I would normally skip, and added 2 garlic knots, 2 cookies, and a fudgsicle on top of that. The only thing I did right was 20 minutes on the stairs.

I am up 2 lbs. on the scale this morning. I know it's not real, but how come my weight is so quick to jump? It's not like when I have a perfect day the scale is down 2 lbs.

pp and guac, nice losses!!

NEMom, what made you decide to go for an extra 10? You're doing great!!

Zumbachica
12-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Congrats to those with losses!! WAY TO GO!

I on the other hand..well I'm super depressed. I keep sinking deeper and deeper into this hole. I start the day off with good intentions, but somehow just lose it at one point or another. Last night i actually ate dinner twice..once at home and then at Bunco. I've been eating chocolate and other treats with reckless abandon. When did I stop caring? I'm going through an ugly divorce and that isn't helping. I"m afraid of what I'll look like when all is said and done.....gaining weight by the minute....starting to grow out of my clothes....

natamars
12-17-2011, 05:56 PM
zumba, so sorry you're gloing through this. I've been having problems at home too, and I'm not sure where we'll end up...

I know you're already physically active because of your job, so you've got that part down. Could you try a new activity? Cross-country skiing, horseback riding, ice skating? I'm really trying to get into my running, and am planning on a half-marathon in the spring..that helps keep me going. I also have a coworker who I'm doing the stairs for at least 20 minutes whenever we're both there..

The food is harder. I'm struggling on and off. I've been baking Xmas cookies all day and tasting at least one of each kind. I'll be glad when I'm done. I try to make as much food in advance as possible so that there's something healthy within reach.

Don't be too hard on yourself..you've got a lot going on. Every positive thing you do for yourself is a huge victory. There's a commercial out now for some kind of nicotine gum and when the guy says no to going out for a cigarette a little band pops up and plays for him...I think we should look at all out positive decisions like that...

patchworkpenguin
12-18-2011, 01:42 AM
Sat, Dec 17
B= 2 c milk, vits, 1 slice cinnamon french toast
L= Commissary BBQ no bun, beans, 1/2 deviled egg
S= cran juice, 1/2 Panera's crinkle cookie
D= Baked Stew, bread
S= pie, whipped cream
S=2 c milk, other 1/2 cookie
E= none

Right= didn't succumb to tempation when Hubby bought a Snickers

Regret= We were supposed to take the dog for a walk but stayed out shopping to late,

~~~
I'm tired and need to go to bed, personals tomorrow.

patchworkpenguin
12-18-2011, 10:25 PM
I feel like I spend more time trying to get Chicks {and the stupid ads to load} than I actually spend on Chicks.

Dec 18, Sun
B= coffee
L= Jason's Deli = plain jane spud with 1 cup veggie soup poured on top, 1 Dove Bliss
D= Olive Garden, salad, 1 breadstick, 1/2 parm crusted steak {yum!}, galric potatoes, aspargras, 2 mints
S= pie whipped cream, Dove Bliss
E= Dog walk

Right= no mindless snacking

Regret= could have done some extra cardio...overall a pretty good day!

Hubby and I took April for a walk in the park. Her leg seems to be doing much better and she can finally run and play like a normal dog

I managed to lose 6 pounds this past month and am now able to fit into a pair of jeans I had to 'put up' at the beginning of the season. Yay! I think its the extra cardio I'm trying to get myself to do. LB and Cardio for tomorrow. Also, I actually managed to FORGET we had ice cream in the house! Me? Forget ice cream???

I've put up a wreath, nativity scene, and a tabletop tree with lights but no ornaments on it. Yesterday I wrapped {gift- bagged, with penguins on them, of course } some presents and finally managed to get into the Christmas spirit. Sent out a few cards today, too.

Ashley777
12-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Quick stop by, reading everyones post but dont have time to respond right now.

Sat was okay cept baked cookies and got to the end of decorating them without eating any then ate about 10. Sunday was good.
Only have to work today and tomorrow then off till Jan 3 yay, part of the benefit of working at a university. I havent had two weeks off in a row since May of 2010 so this will be nice even though it is busy.
Starting of today good which is normal hoping to keep it going. I noticed a lot of people struggle once they get home from work. It seems to take more work to stay on track which to me is odd because sheesh I made it thru the whole day already why on earth would I want to ruin it at 5 in the evening so trying to focus on that.
Hope everyone has a great day!

NEMom
12-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Well it is Monday and my scale was up 4lbs this morning. I know it is a combination of TOM and way too much alcohol this weekend. Gonna have to drink gallons of water this week to flush out my system.
Had family over for cake and ice cream yesterday and did not get any until later that evening, it was calling my name and I just could not get it out of my mind so I gave in. Did I get a small serving, oh on, I ate a huge piece of cake and a ton of ice cream. Yikes. Gonna be a challenging week, lunches out, dinner out and then Christmas dinners. Might need to get some more exercise in to counter balance all the calories.

Natmars - I am sure the 2 lbs is just water retention from the pizza, that happens to me too when I eat it, the weight will be gone by the end of the week, I am sure.

PP - A HUGE congrats on the 6lb loss for this month. All the extra work you are doing is paying off. I bet you rock those new jeans.

Zumba - I am sorry you are having a hard time right now. Divorce is never easy. Do the best you can each day and give yourself some slack when things do not go so well. You have a lot on your plate but you can do it.

Ashley - I am so glad I did not do any holiday baking this year because I would have stuffed myself on cookies and candy. My favs or puppy chow and chocolate covered peanut balls, if I had them in my house I would eat until I was sick.

Only three more days this week and then I too am off until Jan. 3. Gonna be a long three days.

guacamole
12-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Congrats on the 6 lb weight loss, patch!!

Honestly, I think we all need to pat ourselves on the back for still fighting the good fight during the holiday season! So many obstacles to dieting! 2 years ago I probably would have said the heck with it, I'll start up again after the new year! At least I am trying and so are all of you. Now we really will have a head start on our new year's dieting efforts!

Didn't do too badly over the weekend. These last two weekends I have been gaining more control over my overeating. I am still eating off plan foods, but I am doing better with portion sizes.

Today I am back on track - greek yogurt with Kashi cereal for breakfast, juiced up an apple, oranges, and limes for a snack, and am eating some vegetable bin soup for lunch - and of course, water. Planning to have more soup and some baked salmon for dinner.

Here's wishing everyone an on-plan day!

NEMom
12-20-2011, 09:24 AM
I totally agree with guacamole, we should all be very proud of ourselves for continuing to try to stay on plan during the holiday season. Go us!
I really struggled to get up and exercise this morning, I did give myself some mental kuddos for continuing to do it and especially for getting up when I did not feel like it.
Last night my eating was not too bad, had a normal dinner and then only one snack. This is something that I need to continue to work on!
Tw0 pounds were gone this morning, not a real loss, but some of the water weight is leaving. Now I just need to do my best to stay on plan and focused because it will be three weeks or more before my scale (hopefully) will move down again.
Happy Tuesday all!!!

patchworkpenguin
12-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Hubby has a stomach bug, I've been alternatly helping him and getting out of his way. He's slept a lot, which is good. He happened to have a Dr checkup today so hopefully he can get something for the bug, too. Sun night we were driving home and some kid was hanging out the side of his mom's car, obviously sick, Hubby laughed at the poor kid while I thought '...there but for the grace of God be I". Then which one of us gets sick!!! Ha! Oh, yes, I lost 6 lbs this month and he lost 6lbs this weekend.

Mon Dec 19
B= 2 c milk ,vits
L= leftover risotto, TTC= triscut, turkey, cheese
D= Carla Hall's Groundnut soup {yum!~I ate mine and hubby's cus it was too spicy for him because he was sick}, bread
S= pie and whipped cream {glad that's gone}
S= 2 slices cinnamon bread straight from oven
E=none

guacamole
12-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Hello, everyone!

NEMom - congrats on the 2lbs gone!

Patch - sorry your husband is sick! It's always hard on the wife when the husband is sick - kind of like caring for a sick child. Last time I was ill, my husband caught the same bug the next day - he was moaning and groaning and expecting me to take care of him,when I was moaning and groaning in bed beside him! I still had to get the kids to school, take care of the house, get dinner ready, etc. - while he reclined like a prince, calling for me to get him meds or water! I thought, "Who takes care of everyone when they are sick? Me. Who takes care of me when I am sick? Me!" Ugh. I never thought I would be the "mom/last on the list" cliche, but I am.

I went shopping today (didn't buy anything - yeah for me!!!) and tried on some 14s and Larges. They fit! Not sort of kind of/can zip it up fit - they fit!. The bad news is that I have all 16s and XLs in my closet. The other bad news is that I am NOT going to buy a new size 14 or Large wardrobe because that is not the size I want to be - I am nowhere near goal weight. So...it's baggy clothes for me for awhile. I might, when I have time, go to some thrift stores to see if there are any 14s worth picking up - meaning $10 items or less! However, I need to stay strong about not wasting money on intermediate sizes.

What did you all do about clothes sizes as you went down, but were not at your goal weight?

patchworkpenguin
12-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Dec 20, Tues
B= 2 c milk, vits, egg, french toast
L= groundnut stew
D=homemade 'leftover porkchop' paninni, 2 cuties
S= ice cream {TOM related} + 4 Dove
E=none

I think we are done with our shopping also! We bought one last impluse gift for my Mom today. We went to a fancy organic resturant last Wed and they served Community coffee so we bought Mom a bag of de-caf.

Thankfully, Hubby is feeling a lot better now, he's planning on going into work tomorrow.

Guac, I feel the same way about my Hubby. Men! If I make dinner I have to clean up the kitchen, if he makes dinner I have to clean up the ktichen. If I get sick I still have to do everytthing, if he gets sick he stays home from work and gets in my way! In the past few months people have asked me if I've lost weight when I hadn't, I finally figured out I have baggy clothes and I have clothes that fit. When I get compliments I was wearing the 'fitted' clothes. Perception is a funny thing.

NE, we should each get a gold star each day just for trying! good job on the 2 lbs, every little bit counts.

NEMom
12-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Did not have a good night last night. I bought starburst and tootsie rolls to put in Christmas presents and had quite a bit left over. Did I mention that I LOVE tootsie rolls? I totally binged on the candy, to the point I was sick this morning. Finally, gave the bags to my boys to finish. But really, I want to slap myself. Gonna be a stressful holiday trying to keep my binging on candy in check.

Today is my daughters birthday and we are going to dinner tonight. Trying to keep my calories low today to account for the dinner.

Hope you are all having a wonderful Wednesday.!

patchworkpenguin
12-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Well, I caught Hubby's stomach bug. I'm sipping pedialyte which someone at Hubby's work said helps, but it tastes like salty sugar water. Good news is I've lost 4 lbs! Bad news is we've pretty much cancelled Christmas, since we don't want to give this to our families. Hubby isn't feeling great and only spent a half day at work. Apparently a lot of people at work caught this and gave it to thier families.

More later...

NEMom
12-22-2011, 11:43 AM
PP - I am so sorry you and your hubby are sick. We had it over Thanksgiving and passed it around our family. Sorry you had to cancel your holiday festivities but it is good that you are staying in and taking care of each other.

Did not have a good food day yesterday. Went out to dinner for my daughters birthday and ate too many yummy warm rolls and then had more starburst last night. Trying to shake it off today but am really getting scared the I am sliding back into bad habits. All I want for Christmas is Santa to kick my a!! and get it back on track!
Today is my last working day until Jan. 3. So excited!

If I do not get a chance to check in. I wish each and everyone of you a VERY MERRY Christmas.

natamars
12-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Have NOT had a good week. Ate too many of the 1000 or so cookies I made, along with some other junk. Today was a little better - had a healthy lunch at least, and did the stairs at work. Planning on a run tomorrow, but food-wise tomorrow through Monday will be full of challenges. Haven't even stepped on the scale for the last week. Starting Tuesday things should get easier.

patchworkpenguin
12-23-2011, 12:35 AM
I let my parents made the decision if they wanted to risk coming over Sun or not, but since they were travelling and look forward to this trip for half the year. I didn't want them to get this bug even if they weren't going to travel. It will be a little weird celebrating Christmas after the New Year, but better than everyone being sick.

I decided I was going to change my workouts in Jan. I've been doing med-heavy weights with interval like cardio for a long time and I thought I'd try longer steady state cardio and non/light weight workouts especially for the LB and see what my body thinks of that.

I'm still very tired; I slept late, took a 2 hour nap in the middle of the day then another 3 hour nap after Hubby got home {no reflection on his arrival home from work, LOL} and I'm tired and I want to go to bed already. I finished off the Pedialyte and managed some vegge soup. Frankly, I'm afraid to eat anything more solid. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Off to shower and bed.

Merry Christmas.

NE, Snap out of the overeating! You can do this! You are almost at your extra superduper goal! Do Not give in now!

Natamars, Hopefully things will go smoother for you now! Enjoy the run!

Zumbachica
12-23-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm having a really hard time posting on this site...puter keeps telling me this site isn't "responding"....oh well I'll make it snappy before I crash again....

Life is really kicking my butt lately..through it all though I have a desire to stay healthy and not gain any more weight than I already have. I feel awful....really bloated and frumpy :( Bleh....

I have decided to try a new diet starting Tuesday. The Dukan Diet....I always do well when I'm following a low carb program. I also signed up for some yoga classes and plan on adding resistance training once or twice a week to my fitness schedule.

Life is going to throw problems at us..we have to try and rise above them....I always preached that, now I actually have to live it....

Happy Holidays everyone!!:carrot:

patchworkpenguin
12-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Zumba, I've been having the same problem and getting very frusterated about it, I feel that the text of Chicks loads quickly but then I have to wait on the animated ads to load. One thing Hubby did was delete my 'short cut/favorties' link and replace it with a fresh one. This has really helped for some reason. Also, we don't turn the computer 'off' for a complete shutdown often so I've done that more frequently. Also logging out then back into the site {something I admit I rarely do} helped a lot! Hope this helps you.

patchworkpenguin
12-24-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm back to eating 'real' food so I have no excuse not to be accountable. I'm taking this 'reboot' to start a new plan of several small snacks/meals a day.

Fri, Dec 23
B=4 c milk, vits
L=1/2 can veggie/beef soup
L=6 triscuit, 3turkey, 1cheese
D=1/3 can chicken, potato, broc, cheese soup with extra broc, pot, cheese {and whatever else Hubby threw in there}
S=breakfast muffin, 1 c milk
E= none, no kidding!

I added up the workouts I did over the past 6 months [85} added to the workouts I did for the previous 6 months {112} for a total of 197. Not bad. I did notice some changes is my workouts over the previous year. Jan-Jun I did mostly weights or cardio but the second 6 months I did more circuit with the cardio/weights combined.

Right = no vomiting!

Regret= I'm just happy to be back to 'normal'.

patchworkpenguin
12-24-2011, 07:53 PM
We were able to take April to the park for her walk. We did fairly well considering. I don't think I'm eating enough yet but I'm still chicken {ha} of eating too much at at time. I am taking this time to try out the several small meals/snacks a day and listening to my body's hunger cues. I slept very late today, but we did make it to the groc store to pick up a few things. I was thinking of trying a little yoga later.

Merry Christmas to you all.

patchworkpenguin
12-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Sat, Dec 24
B= 2 c milk, vits, 1 slice cinn french toast
L= Jason's Deli 1/3 'lighter' Chicken Club Salad
S= 1/2 apple + 1 TB PB
D= baked sweet potato w cinnamon and butter, grapes
S= 2 c milk, 4 Dove
E= Dog walk at park

patchworkpenguin
12-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Merry Christmas! Sun, Dec 25
Breakfast = 1 coffee, 1 c milk, 1 slice french toast, maple syrup
Brunch=1/2 apple, 2 eggs, 4 bacon slices
S= 2 pb cookies, handful grapes
E= 20min boxing + 25min treadmill + 6 min stretching

Our electricity has gone off a few times today, but finally came back on and has stayed on. I didn't sleep well last night because I worried about it staying off all day, but Hubby and I has a nice day just hanging out with each other. We watched a few Christmas specials, including one of local HS choirs singing carols which was very nice. Then we started an Iron Chef America marathon, including the first battle of the newest Iron Chef Geoffery. His sous chef was Alex G who also compeated in the ICA contest. Great to be able to rout for the both.

guacamole
12-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Hello, everyone! Hope everyone had a good holiday weekend! I had a fattening one!

I have a doctor appointment this Wednesday where the scale has never been my friend. Last year, the most mortifying part of my exam was stepping on the scale in the middle of the hallway, where right nearby a male drug rep was having a conversation with one of the doctors and nurses in the practice. My weight at the time was 202lbs - this was January 2011. I was so embarrassed to be weighed in public. On my home scale I weighed a few lbs less, but that's because I weigh in either in underwear or in my birthday suit! I remember grumbling to myself how inaccurate it is to weigh in with shoes on and clothes on. I remembering factoring in the human error (on a manual scale) of the nurse. Nothing helped. I was obese. I remember telling the doctor how I had made changes to my diet and was eating lots of fruits and vegetables and healthy green smoothies. I remember her looking at me and giving me the "good nutrition" talk anyway, as if I hadn't spoken. I remember being proud that I had been able to go off my blood pressure meds because of the weight I had already lost - but I was still obese and my pride in that accomplishment seemed to pale in comparison to the number on the scale.

I wonder how I will feel this year or what number the scale will show - with all of those same factors during the weigh-in? I wonder if the doc will comment on the weight loss I have achieved so far? I wonder if I will feel humiliated standing on the scale in the hallway while praying that no one walks by or sees/overhears my weight?

I know that my Wednesday weigh-in (my usual weigh-in day is Friday) is motivating me to be good with my eating today and making me regret my holiday binge over the weekend.

Good luck in your efforts, everyone!

patchworkpenguin
12-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Mon Dec 26
B= 2 c milk, vits, breakfast muffin
L= 1/2 apple + 1 TB PB, 1/2 turkey sand
D= homemade spaghetti, slice bread
S= ice cream, choc syrup, reddi whip {indulgent, much?}
S= grapes
E= 30min treadmill

I made bread, did the laundry, and gave April her Spa Day. I also lost 1.5 lbs.

Guac, Hopefully your Dr appointment will go much better! Remember you are NOT defined by the number on the scale! I'm glad your back so I have someone to talk to! :dance:

guacamole
12-27-2011, 01:35 PM
patch - nice to see you too! The boards have been slow lately. Sounds like you are doing well and in a good groove!

I have fallen off the wagon these past few days. Between the holiday weekend and my kids being off from school - my diet is out the window. I am feeling really bad about myself and am so bloated! My clothes feel tight.

I have been making videos of myself on my phone to see how I appear to others. I talk about my plan for the day and my dieting goals. I watch the videos and then delete them. It's amazing how when I am getting ready in the mirror in the morning I don't notice my double chin or saggy neck. However, when I make a video, it's all there! I see the weight I still have to lose. It's a good motivator to keep going.

I find it strange that whenever I have a big whoosh of weight loss - anything over 5 lbs. - I feel so much lighter. However, once I get used to my new weight, I start feeling heavy again. I was feeling pretty great a few weeks ago, but now that I have been at the same weight for awhile - going up and down the same 2-4lbs - I feel fat again.

Just feeling disappointed in myself today....

Izzadawn
12-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Hey Patch, Looking at your last few posts......??? do you ever feel really bloated??? the food you log suggests it could be hi in sodium.... causing you to retain fluid and feel bloated.

Just an observation !!!

patchworkpenguin
12-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Hey Patch, Looking at your last few posts......??? do you ever feel really bloated??? the food you log suggests it could be hi in sodium.... I can't say feeling bloated is something I've paid that much attention to, even during TOM, which just ended. Most of the food I eat, including my bread, is home made with a salt substitute, and I don't even add much of that, much to Hubby's regret, he's the one who's always adding salt to what I make, lol. Thanks for the insight!:D

patchworkpenguin
12-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Tues, Dec 27
B=2 c milk, vits, 1/2 apple
L= leftover salad w chicken + 2 dove
D= 1/4 {2 slices] homemade steak and peppers pizza {sauce made out of spicy ranch and steak sauce, chedder, peppers, onion, steak}. I tried a Pillbury roll-out pizza dough but I'll go back to the old way.
S= 4 dove, grapes, 1 c milk
E= 36min cardio/weights

We went to Krogers to pick up a few things and found they had their Christmas stuff 50% off. I got new slippers for $9 and a Red Lodge enamel dutch oven for $40. Since we've decided to eat at home more often, I've decided to upgrade some of my kitchen stuff. Last week I bought a new knife/block set, we wrapped the steak knives to put under the tree, but are already using the rest of the set. I made pizza tonight topped with leftover steak and was able to cut the thinnest slices.

We were able to let April outside by herself for the first time since her surgery, I was watching by the window and she seemed more confused than anything else, but eventually she trotted off to sniff something.

Guac, the videos sound like an interesting idea. I hope you are feeling better, now that the holidays are coming to a close it will be easier to get back on plan.

guacamole
12-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Hi, patch! Sounds like you got some great deals at the store! I love new knives - mine are pretty dull right now, but sharp knives make preparing food a pleasure!

Went to the doc today. Glad to get the appointment over with. I couldn't bring myself to look at the scale so I don't know how much it showed, but when the nurse was entering my current weight into the computer, she exlaimed over my weight loss. She asked how I had done it and I told her eating more whole foods and less processed foods - which is the basic answer. She told me I was going to be her inspiration! So, I guess the numbers don't lie - even though I still have a long way to go.

The doctor didn't comment on my weight and she didn't give me the nutrition talk this time. However, she did ask if I exercise at all and talked about the importance of mobility and good health - so that brought me back down to earth just in case I was feeling too smug about myself!

So, the bottom line is that I still have a distance to travel, but that I have made progress...

patchworkpenguin
12-28-2011, 11:36 PM
Dec 28. Wed
B= 2 c milk, vits, 1/2 apple, 1/2 breakfast muffin
L= spaghetti with sprinkle of cheese
D= veggie pasta alfredo
S= grapes, 1/2 apple + 1 TB PB
S= 2 pb cookies, 4 Dove
E= 65min boxing

Guac, I'm glad your apointment wasn't as bad as last year. Nice of the nurse to give you kudos at least.

guacamole
12-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Hello! Doing ok today - still feeling a sense of relief that my doc appointment is over! Currently, I am fighting an evil foe called - Ghirardelli! My husband got a large bag of Ghirardelli chocolates from work, and OMG! I haven't craved chocolate for a long time, but these are good! I was indulging yesterday evening and this morning. I don't think I will be safe until the bag is finished - hopefully not by me! I know that I am packing on the pounds...but at least it's worth it!

patchworkpenguin
12-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Thurs, Dec 29
B= 2 c milk, vits
L= slice pizza + 1/2 apple
D= baked potato + leftover broc cheese soup+ extra cheese + bacon slice
S= 1/2 apple + pb, 4 Dove + pb
E= 70min cardio/lower body + 7 yoga

I felt I had too much to eat yesterday so I tried to cut back today. I did the 70min in to seperate workouts around 30 each.

Guac, can you hide the bag somewhere out if sight...even better get your Hubby to hide it from you? I find I do better if the food isn't staring at me, daring me to eat it.

guacamole
12-30-2011, 11:36 AM
patch - I am so impressed by your exercise routine!

Well, I think I am safe from the rest of the chocolate - because I ate all my favorites! Ugh!

Now onto a scientific/medical perspective. I have been overindulging in sugar and salty foods this last week. Suddenly, my muscle aches are coming back full force, joint pain, bad headaches in the morning. I am back to taking 2 Ibuprofen every morning as if they were a daily multivitamin! I was just realizing 2 weeks ago that I never have to take Advil or have headaches anymore. I never wake up in the middle of the night with joint pain or muscle aches.

Now I see how much of a role diet plays in my daily health and comfort. Interesting...

patchworkpenguin
12-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Guac, now that you've figured this out it can work as greater motivation to stay away from over-indulging.

patchworkpenguin
12-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Fri, Dec 30
B= 2 c milk, vits
L=open face turkey sand= 1 bread, miracle whip, 2 slices turkey, 1 slice colby
S= grapes
D= spaghetti, 2 pillsbury breadsticks {so so}
S= ice cream, choc sauce, Reddiwhip
E= 47min cardio, 47min yoga

I will probably start a new thread for the New Year! :dance:

patchworkpenguin
01-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Dec 31, Sat
B= 2 c milk, vits, 1 slice cinnamon toast
L=1/2 BBQ sandwich without bun, sauce, beans, deviled egg
S= 4 Dove + PB
D= homemade stir-fry {chicken, veggies, brown rice}
S= 1/2 apple, 1/2 Mr Goodbar + 2 c milk
E= short dogwalk

We ran errends this morning, then did some 'to-do' around the house. Not the most exciting day, lol. Probably ate more than I should, especially the chocolate, but at least I shared with Hubby. Tomorrow is a fresh start!

Happy New Year!

kandyrews
01-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Hi everyone. I'm just getting started on my journey for weight loss....dealing with the food first. I have about 45 pds to lose. I'm excited because I'm getting my treadmill this Friday, so then I'll be able to start the cardio part of it. I use to have a treadmill once before and was successful with it, so I am hoping for the same this time around. As far as eating goes, so far I've cut out all the sugar in my morning coffee. I'm drinking mostly all water w/the occasional glass of tea. I'm eating more fruits such as cuties. And eating more veggies for lunch like brocolli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts. And as far as dinner...just using portion control aka not overeating. I'm not doing perfect, but doing better than where I was before I started. Trying to take babysteps. And when I start the treadmill, I hope that will be the icing on the cake.