Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/256.8/115

Height: 4'11"

Default Anxious Over Dining Out Tonight

Tonight is my first foray into eating out as someone who is trying to be health-conscious and lose weight. I know I can't stay in my house and measure out my hummus forever, but I'm not ready to eat at a buffet! It's a hen party for a friend, so it's definitely a special occasion and not just going out to eat for lack of something better to do -- I didn't want to turn her down because she is a new friend and it was very kind of her to invite me.

So what do I eat? My plan is to avoid fried foods and desserts, and to keep my portions small. I'm hoping they have fresh fruit and a decent salad bar. I can fill up on salad and have a small piece of meat or something. Ack -- this is hard!

medigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #2  

You've answered your own question.

Watch the booze if you tend to eat poorly when you've been drinking.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #3  

The good news is, I don't drink (I have kidney disease and it's not good for me), so I don't have to worry about that.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #4  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

I think you have a good plan. Remember your portion's and try your best to fill up on salad (watch the dressing, it can be a killer). Try to have a good time though, its important to be able to have fun.
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #5  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I get a salad, broiled/grilled meat or fish and a side of veggies when I go out to a restaurant. Or if they have a fairly plain salad (not a lot of cheese, nuts, olives, croutons, etc) you could get that with some grilled chicken or salmon on it and just be careful about the dressing - I get it on the side and then just dip the fork in for a tiny bit of dressing with each bite.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #6  

Whew, I'm back. I did have a very small slice of cake, but it was a bachelorette dinner and I didn't want to deprive myself. Otherwise, I had a plate of raw veggies (cherry tomatoes, broccoli, white mushrooms) with dressing on the side (I tried their hummus to be healthy, but it was terrible), one piece of stuffed cabbage, a small baked potato and a few pieces of shrimp. I stuck to water as my beverage.

I've done well since I started (8 pounds off in 11 days), so I'm not going to cut myself off from enjoying something for the rest of my life.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

I think you did a great job. I remember my first time eating out since I started my diet, probably three months into the thing. It was hard to discern what to get. I went to a Mexican restaurant. I did pretty well, too and was proud of myself. It gave me confidence that I am capable of picking good things, and you are too-don't be afraid to go and have fun once in awhile; trust yourself.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote