South Beach Diet - SBD Chat - Weekend of Oct. 1 & 2

View Full Version : SBD Chat - Weekend of Oct. 1 & 2

Ruthxxx
10-01-2011, 06:12 AM
Wow! Mother Nature sure reads her calendar. I think we had a killing frost last night - sure feels like it anyhow. I woke up cold despite the extra quilt on the bed. Closing the window a bit might have been smart but it was wide open and curtains were blowing into the room straight out.

This morning we are doing the Blessing of the Animals at our Church. It will be interesting seeing who turns up. Both Jazz and Disney are going and I am taking Donna's wee Lulu who still weighs only 2 pounds 4 ounces! We plan to have the service outside since we have two ponies coming too. (Ponies are not good about going up steps and into strange buildings and are definitely not housebroken.)

After lunch I'm off to Ottawa, dropping the furries at the kennel on the way. (Shirleyanne has one big dog who attacked poor Disney three years ago :( and we don't dare chance it again.) I'll have a nice evening with S, her husband and Andrea, her dd and my god daughter, who is just back from a season of grape harvesting in France.

I hope your weekend is as fun as mine will be! :cofdate:

CyndiM
10-01-2011, 06:22 AM
Good morning Ruth :coffee2: and still sleeping Chicks. You have the most interesting plans Ruth :) Hope it's as much fun as it all sounds.

I'm heading out to see DW again and wait on the doctors. Before that I need to walk down to the garage to get her car. That fell by the wayside yesterday but needs to be done this morning. Hopefully the rain will hold off or be light.
Fall has really arrived here too after a week of warm days. Time to get a sweater out.

cottagebythesea
10-01-2011, 06:52 AM
:coffee: Yawn! Good morning, Ruthie and Cyndi. It's shaping up to be a pretty good morning, although quite chilly. The rain is supposed to hold off til later today.

Ruth, it does sound like a fun day, and I hope the animals are all on their best behavior and don't leave many messy gifts behind. Have a safe drive to Ottawa and an enjoyable dinner with your BFF!

Cyndi, I'm sending you positive thoughts for the day and please give Julie my love. :hug:

We're waiting til dawn breaks to decide what we're going to do today. The original plans were to take Amber to breakfast at her favorite Amish smorgasborg, and then drive out to Gettysburg to the Apple Harvest Festival, which is a huge event. But the threatened rain may change our plans. There's a big craft festival in Myerstown that I'd also like to go to, but again, the rain wouldn't make that much fun since it's all outdoors.
It's just as well, anyway. I really should be saving up for next weekend when I'm going on a girlfriend's weekend getaway to see Laurie (Beachgal), a former Mod and Beacher. :)

TwynnB
10-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Good morning chicks! Kinda dreary out, but I won't let it bring me down :D.

Ruth - what breed is little LuLu? She's so tiny! You sound like you have a busy, but wonderful day. Hope you enjoy!

Cyndi - praying for Julie, and for you too.

Cottage - an Amish Smorgasbord sounds wonderful and dangerous! Hope you enjoy your day and stay dry.

Planning on finally finish painting DD's bedroom, cleaning (LOL), and off to a "celebration banquet" tonight at church. Just sipped my first taste of coffee, it's delish.

PS - ONE WEEK TIL VACATION!! Not that I'm excited or anything...

Ruthxxx
10-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Try not to get too excited, Twynn, :rofl:

Lulu is a YorkiPoo and the poo part was a very small dog with a ladder. ;) Jazz is a small dog but he lies down to play with Lulu.

Chelby29
10-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Auston's cousins, Maggie and Shepard, spent the night last night. They went to bed late last night and were up early this morning. Jeff asked if I was going to make them waffles for breakfast. I don't think I can make them without eating them, so they are having cereal!

Ruthie, Sparkit the Pyrenees drools bigger than 2.4 pounds! :D

Cyndi, Sigh.... Maybe next weekend you can have a weekend of fun. :hug:

Cottage, I love going to festivals. I'm going to the Shrimp Festival at the beach in two weeks.

Twynn, I'm making black bean/sweet potato soup for lunch.

It's a beautiful fall day in Alabama, too. It's 52 now and supposed to be 71 today. These kids are going outside later. :)

You should see Maggie's hair. I don't know how to do girl hair!

WaistingTime
10-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Happy weekend!

Chelby -Woo hoo for you!

Cyndi - So sorry that DW is back in the hospital. Hope they figure out what is going on and she is released soon.

Ruth - Have a safe trip and enjoy your visit.

Linda - I've got a girlfriend getaway to meet online friends next weekend too! Hope the weather cooperates for you today. We could use that rain here but I don't miss it.

Twynn - Busy day for you. So... I know I asked and I still forget... is this to the Grand Canyon? Or where. Darn my memory.

Yesterday ended up just as crazy as Thursday. This is our foundations first year with an online application and so my first year as the admin for it and of course the applicants all wait until the last minute then have questions and problems. Sigh. I made a great new soup for dinner last night, very different and tasty; posted it in recipe section.

Tonight we are invited to our neighbor's house and I think he is serving pizza. I won't be eating any; back on a week of PH1 after my carb-fest of last week and before I travel next weekend. I'll use my cholesterol as an excuse and find a reason to leave early.

Have a great weekend, everyone. It still hasn't sunk in that it's October!

TwynnB
10-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Ruth - yorkie poos are so CUTE!! Hopefully, she's one of those that are potty trained??

Chelby - oh, cooking waffles are amazingly tempting, aren't they? I think you made the wise choice. Have you had the black bean and sweet potato before?

Karen - yes, we're going to the grand canyon. Just found out that antelope canyon (slot canyon) is on our drive, I think I"m more excited about that!
I know you've talked about your foundation before, but I'm not sure what the foundation is? Good luck with the applications!

I'm cleaning, while on caffeine. WOO HOO! (a colleague stays at my house while we're gone, so I tend to have things spotless since she's a bit OCD. Hard to get done, but great coming home to a clean house!)

Chelby29
10-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Twynn, I've never had the bean/potato soup before. You gave me the recipe and it sounds good. I didn't have any fennel seed, so I substituted chipotle with adobo sauce. :D It smells great! Hubby looked in the pot and said, "Interesting." I'll let you know the verdict.

Lexxiss
10-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Good Morning:sunny:

Sending hugs to Cyndi and Julie. :hug:

Congrats to Chelby for losing 10# AND for not making waffles this morning!

I had something come up yesterday which needs contemplation and evaluation. My sibling is having a difficult time right now. We are joined at the hip and I hurt right now, too.

I'm running behind...my few hours of sleep came very early this morning. I'm off to weigh, make a green smoothie, pick up the house then head into town. BBL (I hope)

TwynnB
10-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Debbie - good luck and praying for your sibling (and you!).

Chelby - Can't wait to hear if you like it! My DH wouldn't even try it, since it resembles sewage :D. He's missing out on some good food!!

southmplsgirl
10-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Helly, hello! Life is still crazy here with work. Should have an adequate check-in tomorrow, but wanted to say hi.

Still sending thoughts and vibes your way, Cyndi.

Have a great day, everyone!

Angie

Chelby29
10-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Verdict: We LOVED the black bean and sweet potato soup. It was thick and rich -- and didn't resemble sewage in the least! :lol:

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2010/12/recipe-for-vegetarian-black-bean-and.html

jenne1017
10-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Hi all.

Feeling really sick this morning but there is so much more on the docket - already went to the DMV and got a new license and to the grocery store. cooked lunch now off to get my hair done (appt made months ago and it's over an hour away!!) then home to sleep.

Oye!

Enjoy the crisp weather all :wave:

southmplsgirl
10-01-2011, 03:33 PM
I have an absolutely fantastic recipe for black bean and sweet potato chili that I will share tomorrow. It is divine!

CyndiM
10-02-2011, 06:57 AM
Good morning :coffee2: Nothing new here. I'm doing some chores then heading up to visit DW and have lunch with her. No chance she is coming home today so I'll do the 2 visits, home in the middle thing. I found a recipe for coconut curry butternut soup (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/10/coconut-curry-butternut-squash-soup.html) that I'm making to bring her for dinner. It's hard to find stuff she can eat at the hospital and after 8 days she is getting sick of the black bean burgers. I've been bringing her dinner from the nearby Co-op but thought some homemade soup would help.

It's cold and rainy here after a week of super sticky. Time to dig out the fleece vests!

Chelby29
10-02-2011, 07:01 AM
Happy Sunday, Chickies. I must be up real early if I'm up before the Eastern Chickies. :) The coffee is ready...

Angie, I'm looking forward to your chili recipe. Hubby LOVES chili.

We had a lovely Saturday night. We went to the thrift stores and found Auston 7 pants, several shirts, and an Under Armour jacket for about $45. He should be good till next summer. He better not grow too much! :)

We will head for our Sunday trip to the flea market this morning. Local cantaloupes are gone. We still have watermelon and squash. The turnip and mustard greens should be showing up soon. Yum!

Are you doing anything fun today?

Cyndi, I assume DWs a vegetarian like you. Does she have other special diet requirements? You can't beat soup on a cold day. :)

cottagebythesea
10-02-2011, 07:29 AM
:coffee: Good morning, Chickies. I was up, but came downstairs to find Jake taking apart the silverware drawer. Don't ask. :dizzy:

Cyndi, that soup recipe sounds yummy and I hope Julie enjoys it. What other types of foods can she handle right now? I'll have to go through my recipe file to see if I can help. I was going to make stuffed peppers last night, but instead made a chard, chickpea and veggie sausage soup since the weather seemed to call for it.

Chelby, you made out big-time at the thrift stores! :woohoo: I stopped by a thrift store on a whim on Friday and got myself 6 tops for $8, and one of them still had the tags on it. :) You can't beat those places for great deals on barely used clothing!

It's downright cold here this morning, and I'm thinking it's time to finally switch around the closets. I have to bake two apple cakes today, too, but that's about all I have planned for the day. We stayed home and got more yard work done before it started raining yesterday, and it's looking like more rain is threatening for today.

Well, I'd better go see what I can come up with for breakfast, as Jake is giving me "that look." ;)

WaistingTime
10-02-2011, 09:09 AM
I held strong last night at my neighbor's get-together. But, boy, was it hard. Midway I popped home for a jacket (and to take my beans out of the crockpot) and stayed long enough to eat leftover soup. Social event are the bane of my dieting existence. Fortunately, no more this week until I head out Friday for my weekend with fellow bloggers. Travel AND social eating - eek! October is filled with landmines for me. Trying out another new recipe tonight. It is so much easier to make meals with the picky teen gone!

southmplsgirl
10-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Good morning! Finally a relaxing morning off...I don't work until 3 today.

The scale is sure taking it's time creeping back down. I'm still one up from my ticker but heading in the right direction. Today's plan is trip to dog park, and a little laundry before working 3-midnight. But first...coffee and CBS Sunday Morning :)

Cyndi - that soup sounds fantastic, I am sure it will revive Julie's spirits and she'll love knowing you made it with love, that's always better than food from a store!
Chelby - way to go at the thrift store! That is awesome! The headquarters for Target is here in Mpls, and there is a "Salvation Army Target" as we call it here. It is a thrift store but ALL of the items are brand new surplus and samples from Target. It is really great! Sounds like Auston is set!
Cottage - Apple cakes?! Sound delish, what are they for?
Karen - Way to go on the social event last night! Great work, and I bet you are proud of yourself today.

Alright...the recipe for Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili is courtesy of Eating Well magazine/website.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
4 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile (see Note)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups water
2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
4 teaspoons lime juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion is beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle and salt and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add water and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the sweet potato is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Add beans, tomatoes and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.

Tips & Notes

Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.

Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeņo peppers. Ground chipotle chile pepper can be found in the spice section of most supermarkets or online at penzeys.com.

Nutrition

Per serving: 307 calories; 8 g fat ( 1 g sat , 5 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 14 g fiber; 494 mg sodium; 947 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (213% daily value), Vitamin C (48% dv), Iron (32% dv), Folate (29% dv), Potassium (27% dv), Calcium (16% dv).

Lexxiss
10-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Good Morning:sunny:

Hello everyone! It's fallish here, but will warm nicely later. We have not had a freeze on the Western slope...it nipped the Eastern small garden but fortunately I had everything out before we left a week ago. Yesterday's exercise was unloading a large horse trailer full of pumpkins for our church youth group...funny there weren't many kids unloading...1300 pumpkins, Kirk and I guessed 5000 pounds. I was very dirty. Today Bing and Kirk both got sheared. It works better before we all wake up fully. Potluck at church..then I'll finish up the case of organic peaches I got at the farmers market yesterday.

Cyndi, I'm glad you're close enough to come home during the day. I'm sure Julie will appreciate the homemade dinner.

jenne, I hope you are feeling better today!

Karen, great job at the social gathering. Having some soup at home sure helped, too!

Chelby, yay for great clothing finds!

Linda, hmmm....what Was Jake doing in the silverware drawer? If it was Kirk I'd get out a thermometer and take his temp!

Angie, yum! Thanks for the recipe!

Twynn, I'll have to look up that slot canyon! You will have such a great time! Which lodge are you staying at? Flying into Phoenix, I assume. My DH has crossed Grand Canyon twice and he was amazed at these super runners. They start early with headlamps and run all the way across and back...so he says.

Ruth, :wave: towards Ottawa!

Pearlrose
10-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Good morning,

It is blustering 42 right now. I have not put the heat on yet as I hate that first fire up smell in the house I like to do it when no one is home. Maybe I will turn on when we leave for church to take the nip out of the air.

Cyndi- Hugs and prayers headed your way.

Ruth- sounds like you had interesting evening lined up last night

Twynn- your vacation sounds like fun. Yeah to coming home to a clean house.

Chebly- congratulations on losing 10 lbs, you are back on track.

Karen- way to go resisting food at the gathering

Debbie have fun today with the peaches

Angie that sweet potato chili sounds good

Cottage good deal on the thrift stores and Chelby too. We went to one yesterday but had no luck but a couple weeks ago I did find one pair of pants and two tops. Love getting top name brands for bargain basement prices.

Today we are off to church and then going to Eckerts Farm to pick some apples and pumpkins, this a yearly tradition we do, though the two oldest don't come every year any more.

Have a great day

cottagebythesea
10-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Angie, that chili recipes sounds delicious! Why don't you post it in the Phase II Soups and Stews so it doesn't get lost in here. :)

jenne1017
10-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Hi everyone,

Rainy day here. We got a lot off the list accomplished for this weekend, including getting that last room unpacked! Well, mostly. We need to still buy two bins to place some picture albums in (especially those albums with other people prior to one another in them :lol3:).

So after my baked falafel is done, we are going to nap, then out to Sam's to buy a few bins, Clif bars for DW and paper plates. She's been doing really well in helping me keep the house tidy. Then again, our housecleaner came only this Friday, haha.

We are also beginning the process of TTC and are anxiously awaiting some information on two donors we've narrowed down the search to!

So much to do, so little time!

southmplsgirl
10-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Angie, that chili recipes sounds delicious! Why don't you post it in the Phase II Soups and Stews so it doesn't get lost in here. :)

Done!

We are also beginning the process of TTC and are anxiously awaiting some information on two donors we've narrowed down the search to!

So much to do, so little time!

How exciting!!!

So far, on my way to winning my 3rd week in a row for fantasy football! 3-1 and I'll be tied for first place in the league! Cross your fingers for me...

WaistingTime
10-02-2011, 05:41 PM
I know you've talked about your foundation before, but I'm not sure what the foundation is?) Oops... forgot to reply. Sorry. My mom started a charitable foundation in my dad's memory several years ago and my brothers and I are trustees along with her. We give out money typically about this time each year. This year we went to an online application and I took over the admin work for that from our lawyer.

Got in a bike ride today; the weather here has been beautiful and no end in sight. Will be skyping with DS1 later to help him book his flights home for Thanksgiving. Very expensive:(