Does it Work? - I Have The Answer To Permanent Weight Loss!

jackslady
02-01-2003, 04:37 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, I was looking at a lot of these threads dealing with this program or that pill. Be beware that pills like ALL things that suppress appetite do not get at the real problem of weight loss, neither does starving oneself, or exercising yourself to death, unrealistic expectations or hopes and dreams of the miracle diet. As for pills, unless you are willing to ingest this stuff forever, you better be willing to gain the weight back. I lost 100 lbs and gained it back when I went off stuff because I hadn't learned what was making me fat in the first place. I had bought ever diet, shake, drink, plan, "miracle" just like you and never succeeded. Just do me a favor and take a good hard look at why you overeat and change that. You would be surprised how much you can accomplish on your own and be much more proud when you do it. Understand, I am NOT bashing anyone for anything they spend their money on, I am just saying weight loss has to do more with the brain than anything else and pills and miracles cures unfortunately won't fix eating problems you haven't dealt with. I am morbidly obese, have been on an exercise program and 1600 cal eating for a month and have lost nearly 30 lbs. Why? Because I am breaking the cycle of what is bad for me. No more soft drinks, not trigger eating ie when angry or sad or reading or watching tv, eating real food like everyone else etc. I am happier than I have ever been and am well on the way to losing it all once and for all. I am NOT dieting, I am choosing to change my eating habits for the rest of my life so that I don't have to contine to go through this. Everyone can do this no matter what their size. I have heard excuses that you can't afford it because buying foods you need are so expensive. Then where did you get the $100 to buy Harry Houdini's Magic Miracle diet? My wish is that just one person out there can look at themselves and realize they can do this without interference from anyone else!!!!!

Much success to you all!
Donna

rochemist
02-01-2003, 10:32 AM
I agree with you Donna. Its learning to make healthier choices and getting to the root of why I am fat in the first place that is making the difference this time. The going is slow, but I have felt better than I have in years!

Miss Chris

jackslady
02-01-2003, 04:08 PM
Hey Chris, Do you have the phonetic pronounciation for the Klingonese? LOL Thanks for the post and you go girl! You will make it!

carree
02-12-2003, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the most inspiring post I have read in a long time and so very, very true.

Unless we get at the heart and core of what is making us overeat, we are doomed to repeat the behavior.

All the best to you! I just know that you will be a success this time!

Love,
carree

Touch
02-13-2003, 09:09 PM
Donna!!!!!...I must tell you my dear...you are one excellent Ray of Sunshine!!!!!!...you say it like it is...and your always helpful to all of us when we need you...I just wanted to say...thanks for always being there!!!!!!!...Alayna

THE BIG ORANGE BABE
02-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Hey JacksLady,

Read my signature line....it says it all!

BOB

mygirl1
03-10-2003, 02:39 AM
hey donna,

More power to you!...what a fabulous post - many years and dollars later...I finally realized that there is no miracle cure...eat less expend more energy...sometimes the simplest of answers is overlooked.
I have started exercising and making better food choices and not obsessing about what I eat...I call it my "no pressure" approach to life and the challenges it throws my way.
I haven't lost any weight yet...I just started a couple of weeks ago but have had quite a few setbacks...(you see I love my food).

RavenToy
03-10-2003, 06:54 AM
Amen, Donna. Took me 20 years to figure it out, but I finally did. I'm eating more than I thought I could, working out, and feeling wonderful. And losing weight!! Imagine!

mindseye
03-18-2003, 04:27 PM
You say it pretty much like it is!!! Unfortunately, I still haven't learned. I have a problem with food. I beat myself up every time I eat, whether it be good for me or bad for me. I am still not comfortable with my weight, but find myself going in circles. I get depressed about my weight, I eat, beat myself up some more, etc. Yuck. I was really glad I read the review about Leptoprin though. I was seriously considering buying it and then I read the review. You would think I would learn by now after I've seen firsthand what these drugs can do. My cousin had a lesion removed from her brain recently and the doc said he is "99% sure it was due to a popular diet drug she was taking".

So I will try my best to overcome my self hate. The Godiva chocolates......one day at a time. (Or one piece at a time! Heee! :D )

wierdo
03-31-2003, 07:53 PM
Here's another HURRAH for Donna. You go girl!!

I have been a food obsessed fat girl for 44 years and after trying every gimmick there is, last October the light went on. It's up to ME! I saw a mother in some impoverished country on the news grinding up a handful of wheat to feed her 2 children for the whole day and that was it. Do we need to feed the monster within every time he calls? These children have no choice. I don't think anyone ever died from the feeling of being hungry. Since that time, I eat to live - take home restaurant food when the portions are too large - stop eating past what I know is enough (that 2nd half of the pizza really doesn't taste that great!!) and I try to eat "well".

I am currently at my lowest weight that I've ever seen as an adult and losing about 1/2 pound a week. It's slow, but that's okay. After a life time of gains and losses I'll take a steady loss on a plan I can live with the rest of my life any day. We all have our days, but there's a strength in us all that we can tap into if we can just find it. I hope I can stay strong and I hope you all can find that strength too. We don't need to pump our money into the weight loss industry. Everything we need is free - inner strength and desire.

Ellen
04-06-2003, 04:25 PM
Oh, wow. For most this is true. I found what was making me fat..it was the conventional diet wisdom! As a seriously insulin resistant person, the more grains and carbs I ate, the more I stored. I did not overeat, per se, I just ate all the wrong things. Now I am so screwed up, nothing seems to work. I used to gain on Weight Watchers!

I guess you have to love yourself, fat or thin, and go from there.

rochemist
04-14-2003, 07:06 PM
I think we need to keep this post floating up near the top. It's a good reminder that it takes hard work, excercise, and eating good portion controlled food to make a difference. There is not a pill out there that contains that.

Miss Chris

MelisAGoGo
04-24-2003, 02:45 PM
How very, VERY true!! No amount of pills, surgeries, grapefruit, cabbage or whatever weird trends are happening will do it for you permanently and without damage.

So many times, I think people are in it for the quick fix, but it's the slow and steady that won the race. (Explains why I'm still chubby but at least I'm trying, right?)

just a little "bump" to bring this to the top and say "It's OKAY to do it the right way. It's OKAY to eat right and exercise. It's OKAY to walk and do the things we know we have to do to get it done properly."

hugs,
Melis
240/228/180 (initial goal)

Cosmogrl
04-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Bravo-you're sooo right. I started a healthier lifestyle about 2 weeks ago and already feel so much better. I used to be an "all or nothing" person. I either would eat anything and everything in sight or I would be the "perfect" dieter and deprive myself of everything. This behavior has only gotten me fatter and fatter. I'm learning to take each day one at a time and if I do make wrong choices I vow not to beat myself up! I know it's not going to be easy but I'm sure glad I can turn to this site for the hope and inspiration I need to succeed.

muffingrrl
04-28-2003, 04:18 PM
How does a person figure out what it is that is making her over eat. I eat the wrong foods, and I eat them obsessively. I find something new that turns me on for a few months and I eat it everyday until I decide the magic has worn off. I think I feel hungry when I go eat. However, I know that I have issues with food and there are emotional issues in my life, but they are things that aren't in my control to fix. So, how do pinpoint what is making me have no control?

I have no coverage for mental health. Tried that route. Anyone have anything enlightening to share with me?

MrsJim
04-28-2003, 06:19 PM
Muffin - I would start by JOURNALING. Not just writing down what you eat - but your thoughts, goals, dreams, desires...so often, when you open that fridge, the old adage "it's not what you're eating, it's what's eating YOU" comes into play. A lot of the time, I've found, it's habit or 'because it's there' that causes a food you don't need to pop into your mouth. Mindless eating for sure...

So next time you want to eat 'just because'...get out that pen and journal and WRITE down those feelings! I think you'll find it really helps tremendously.

There ARE some really great books out there that deal with the mind-food connection. Right off the top of my head, one is "The Quest for Peace, Love and a 24-Inch Waist" by Deborah Low...another one I've heard of but have not read yet is "It's Not About Food: Change Your Mind; Change Your Life; End Your Obsession With Food and Weight" (I have it on order at my local library!).

With me personally, what works is not only journaling, but keeping my kitchen and home free of anything that is going to induce me to overeat. So I don't keep sweets, bread, or cereal (other than old-fashioned oatmeal) at home - because with me, if I eat something high in sugar - it just causes me to want more and more...

mugirl213
05-01-2003, 05:03 PM
Muffingirl...I'm a total newbie here so I may not have the best advice...but I say just look at WHEN you eat. I know I eat when I'm bored. My office is FILLED with junk food and when work gets slow I head to the snack table (which is right next to where I walk about every 15 minutes). Good or bad (most likely bad) I've also found that if I drink a huge cup of coffee in the morning that I am not hungry during the day. LOL...it's weird I know. It also seems to be having a diuretic affect on me. I'm all kinds of crazy...maybe it's the caffeine. But at any rate...just figure out when. Was it after a fight with somoene? A bad day at work? While you watch TV? And another simple, yet obvious tip. If you don't buy the food, you won't eat it. Ya know? Good luck girlfriend. I know ou can do it!

goodforme
05-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Caffeine has a diuretic effect, and many recommend you drink as much water as coffee to make up for that fact. I am also a firm believer that if you don't buy it you can't eat it. Tell that to my bf and my daughter, however! Sometimes you are around temptations and I have had to come up with ways to distract myself. Then again, sometimes I just give in. Hmmmm......some big help I am! Good luck to you, though!

beachfeet
05-06-2003, 03:16 PM
I agree goodforme. My husband and I have stopped buying food to last several days and only buy enough for a day or two. That in it's self has helped us cut down on snacking and overeating. If it's not there we make healthier choices. Even healthy things like power bars I have to limit to buying 2 a day, since I'm a compulsive overeater.

Jennelle
06-07-2003, 06:32 PM
I was just browsing through the Buyer Beware and found this. I'm only posting to bump it back up to the top and keep it open. The message is SO IMPORTANT!

rochemist
06-10-2003, 12:40 PM
I think a good reminder of how much crap all those pills and get thin quick plans is I got my second check today from the Enforma company for the class action law suit again Fat Trapper/Excercise in a Bottle(even the name is stupid, but yet I bought it).

Thanks for putting this thread back up there Jenelle!
Miss Chris

FrugalChick
08-16-2003, 08:37 AM
:cp: :bravo:

Finally, someone who feels as I do (on my good days;) ) I keep telling my friends this--one in particular. I *firmly* believe that you have to love yourself on the *inside* or you will never love yourself on the *outside*--no matter how much weight you lose. I *really* believe that.

After all, weight is just a number. Do we really want to lose weight to 'look good'? Those that love us, love us reguardless. Losing weight to be healthier is more on target. But I think TV and media play a *huge* part in this (and magazines..what is that magazine that's only 70 or so pages? woman's world? Every month...a new diet). I think the claim that we'll be happier if we lose weight and ppl will love us more if we lose weight is a myth.

Now, in refrence to the questioned posed: what makes me eat? To be absolutely truthful:

[list=1]
There have been times when the budget has been *really* tight. It seems cheaper to buy a box rather than buy the fresh ingridients that makes up that box.
PMS times are killer. Not a binge eater, but definitely crave the salty carbs.
I don't eat when I'm depressed or when I'm happy...but eating is a very social thing for me. We don't spend a lot of time with family, so around holidays, we do it up right.
And probably the most *real* reason--I enjoy eating the bad things. They taste good. Of course, I like the good stuff too...so I need to phase out the bad stuff, eat the good stuff, and I'll be good to go!
[/list=1]

wistfuldreamer
08-18-2003, 09:04 PM
You are right. People are looking for a quick fix. These gals at work are all gaga about this diet plan that their on. Their losing weight (water???). They have this high protein shake in the AM with these pills (detox/vitamin/whatever else combo). What is going to happen when they can't afford the product anymore? Weight loss shouldn't have to be expensive. The closer we get to food in the natural state the better off we'll be. Congratulations on your weight loss, exercise & healthy eating is the way to go.:p

conway_1979
08-20-2003, 12:56 PM
I agree, focusing on the moderation of my diet is the best way I have found to control my weight. I enjoy a treat every now and again, but nothing major. That way, I don't get too desperate and result to a binge. I try to get 30 min. of exercise every day and focus on keeping vegetables, grains and fruits as the base of my diet. No ketosis for me...

FrugalChick
08-20-2003, 01:12 PM
I'm tired of going back and forth mentally. What I need to do is just change my life style. My little boy (5) came up to me the other night and said "Mom, am I fat?" (My son comes up to my chest--I am 5'4--and weighs 50 lbs. He's been eating seconds recently because he is getting ready to go through a growth spurt). I tried to explain this to him, but I don't think I was very successful. He has heard me talk about myself and now, I see myself in him--my thoughts, my actions.

I need to stop focusing on 'fat' and 'diet' and just bring good food into the house and leave the bad stuff out. If I do not and if I continue to go as I'm going to have a child who has an eating disorder. I cannot do that.

So, this is what I've come up with. I'm going to throw the word diet and exercise out the window. I'm going to make sure that we all stay active as a family and I stop eating out of boxes so much.

What I'm doing and what I am saying is hurting my son, and I cannot go on like this.

thanks for listening to me vent :^:

conway_1979
08-21-2003, 11:51 AM
That is exactly what I am talking about. I applaud you on your decision!! Good luck to you.

shadesOme
08-22-2003, 11:12 PM
Just sendin this post back to the top.. the messages here are full of truth and heart.. Keep the wonderful attitudes, you are doing fantastic..:)::)

conway_1979
08-25-2003, 04:19 PM
I agree! Whether it is for yourself, or your children, or for anyone you care about. I think moderation is the way to go. Do not go leaving things out of your diet. It cannot be good to act in such extreme ways. I recently read an article about a congressman (not sure who) but he tried atkins, south beach, etc. and was gaining back everything he lost w/in months. He then went for moderate diet w/ exercise and is 50 pounds thinner. He feels great, and doesn't deprive himself of things. Good act to follow...

palemoonnight
09-03-2003, 07:44 PM
I agree whole heartedly that the best way to loose weight and keep it off is by learning how to eat and exersize. Not a pill and not a shake. I have set a goal for meyself to lose about 20-25lbs before I turn 25 (I wont even turn 24 until Sept 18th) When I told family memembers most of the responses I recived was "Why not set a higher goal, remember when Mylie lost 30lbs last summer using (insert name of pill here) I bet you could lose 25lbs on that by Thanksgiving."

Mylie did lose 30 lbs, but she also put it all back on two months later.

I would rather change my eating habits, (Do I really need to eat MDs after my morning class?) and work out more to lose smaller amounts of weight over a longer period of time than lose alot of weight just to turn around and put it all back on.

FrugalChick
09-03-2003, 08:31 PM
Good for you, Pale. I know you can do it too. You know, a friend of mine lost 30 lbs by doing only one thing differently...she started eating breakfast. It's amazing how we sabatage our bodies! Good luck, Pale!

palemoonnight
09-03-2003, 09:06 PM
WOW! Just by eating breakfast! I hardly every eat breakfast. Maybe I should try that. Mainly what I am wanting to do is lay off the fast food. I have been eating fast food at least 4 times a week if not more for the past year. I also am starting to walk. Today was my first mile around the track. And I have been getting ideas off this site for tips on shopping. Tomarrow I head to the store!

FrugalChick
09-04-2003, 01:14 PM
I think eating breakfast jump starts our metabolism for the day. I could be wrong, but that certainly would make sense, right?