Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Default Anyone else suck at maintenance/maintenance breaks?

So I've kind of been taking little maintenance breaks over this past month, gone on a couple of mini vacations and a week long camping trip where I decided to go ahead and eat at maintenance level.

This just led to me shoving food in like a crazy mad woman. What the heck? I know this is psychological for me, I think, "Oh well, you are not trying to lose anything, lets have some off-plan stuff and not worry about it". Why? So yeah, I stink at maintenance and need some tips to get better at it when the time comes.

Maybe continuing to log my calories would help. I did not do that. I just ate like a little piggy...
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #2  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

I really suck at maintenance. That's why I'm back where I started years ago. I plan to go hang out in the maintainers section when I get closer to goal and learn from their wisdom and experience.

All I can do is tell myself to never, EVER go back to my old way of eating. Like everyone always says around here, it's a lifestyle change, not a diet. I want to make sure I follow that mantra for life.

I have a trip coming up next week, and it will be my first maintenance attempt (I'm assuming I won't lose). I'm nervous about it, but I've already packed a whole bag of my own food to be sure I stay at least MOSTLY on plan.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #3  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

yes, at maintenance, you should definitely continue to log your calories. the first time i tried this, when i finally hit 180, i just stopped logging. i then gained back up to a weight of 274 lbs. logging keeps that accountability there, and it's also pretty essential to keeping track of how much food you're actually consuming.
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #4  

I have sort of been on maintenance for about three weeks or so. I say "sort of" because I shoot for 1400-1500 calories, but if I reach 1700, I don't fret. Also, 1700-1750 is maintenance for my goal weight, not my current weight. I don't actually weigh myself, but I'm guessing based on the size I am now (and the comparable weight I was at in the past at this size).

Throughout this time period, I have continued to log my calories. I won't stop doing that, even when I don't like to face what I'm logging. For example, I bought groceries at Whole Foods on Friday, and there were so many goodies, that I gave into having a bite of this, a taste of that, a lick of the other. I really wanted to not log all that, but I did it. Yes, I had to "guess-ti-mate" but in such circumstances I always over-estimate just to be safe.

Also, if I feel like I'm losing my control a bit, I try to get back to strict behaviors. For example, I notice that I was getting a bit more lax on weighing and measuring and that I was getting into the habit of having a sweet every night (rather than just a few nights a week). So, as of this past Sunday, I've resolved to restart strict weighing and measuring and to lay off the sweets for at least a week. I think I need those sort of "road blocks" when I begin feeling as if I'm letting things go a bit.

Remember: The basic behaviors that you used to lose should be part of your life in maintenance as well.

Last edited by lin43; 09-27-2011 at 09:23 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Speaking as someone who has made it through 6 years of maintenance, you might have to take a look at what maintenance means.

For me, maintenance looks like weight loss. I estimate calories every day (even if it's just a rounded to the nearest 100 ballpark) and I stick to my "forever no's" (no fast food, no cream based sauces, no packaged baked goods, limit alcohol).

I also don't let "bad" meals get out of control. I might have an overly indulgent dinner, but it's balanced by an onplan breakfast/lunch.

If I am out of my normal comfort zone (trips, etc), I plan for it. For example, for a work trip for a week in a hotel, I bring my own oatmeal, bowls, spoons, dried blueberries, so I can at least start each day off right.

Maintenance is work but lots of great stuff in life takes work.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote