Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Default "You're healthy, but..."

I guess this is more of a vent/rant than anything else.

Like many others here, I've had so many issues in the past with my mother in terms of losing weight. At 150 lbs in high school, she was constantly nagging me about losing weight, despite the fact that I was perfectly healthy and actually looked pretty darn good! Now, at 24 years old, it's still a constant struggle with her. My main issue is that it's not about health for her, it's all about looks. It's like she wants me to be this perfect, supermodel person that I'm never going to be.

For instance, the other day we were talking about weight (yet again). She actually said to me, "You've lost enough weight to be healthy, but you're not where you need to be." Let's be clear, I'm still overweight and not technically at a healthy weight. But WTF?? Once I actually am a healthy weight, shouldn't it be MY decision about where to stop? It just frustrates me to no end that health is never going to be good enough. In fact, I feel as though the only way I'll be good enough is if I'm a size 2.

I feel like that's why I've failed so many times at this whole weight loss thing...it was never about health, only looks. Now, it's about health to me (with a little vanity thrown in). That's why I've lost 50 lbs. But somehow, the 50 lb loss doesn't matter b/c I'm still "not where I need to be".

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I guess it's just difficult when the person you're closest to in life will probably never see you as good enough.
MedChick87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I understand. My Mom, thank God, is not usually too judgmental about my weight. But she did look at me one day and say "You're getting FAT!". Well, she was right, but still. Not cool.

Do you think she knows how much these comments hurt you? Maybe it's time for a conversation?
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #3  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

This really sounds like it`s 100% HER issue NOT yours. I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and guess she'll been on a lot of diets herself too? It really does sounds like she's projecting her own body image issues on you.

FWIW, I had a relative do that to me once. I had put on a few pounds and was probably just into the overweight BMI range. She made a HUGE deal about it and how I HAD TO LOSE WEIGHT. Ugh. I got pretty upset and told her to stop. She's snuck it in a few times since then but I realize it's HER problem. She's the one who has been yo-yo dieting for years and it's her way of dealing with it. It's not the best thing in the world and it's hard to hear but it was freeing for me to realize that she was really talking about herself, not me.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #4  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

I think we have the same mother. I grew up with a narcissistic mother who wanted me to be nothing but perfect, and a little size 5 all the while she would stuff food down my throat and make fun of my weight.

I could go on and on and on about all the horrible things she does, says etc.. even to this day! But it's her. She won't ever change. I will never get what I need emotionally from her. Just like you may never hear how happy your mother is that your HEALTHY. In my 34.5 years on this planet, I have realized something. Looking at my past relationship with my mother and her behaviour it has always been the same. I have been hoping all these years for something deep and emotional and supportive from her. But she simply doesn't have it in her to give. So now, I just don't expect it and I distance myself from her emotionally. Because in all honesty as soon as I let her in she finds a way to hurt me yet again and it then effects my emotional eating and that voice in my head that repeats "If my own mother doesn't accept me for who I am then why should I?"

Don't listen to that voice, or to your mother. Your doing this for YOU and YOUR health, let her gab away and simply end the conversation with her about weight issues. Obviously this is a topic that opens something emotional for you, and if you know you will never get what you need from her to say the right things, then don't even bring it up anymore.

I am SO MUCH happier after doing this with my mother. Does it still hurt...yup, but I grieve what we should have had now instead of internalize it cause that will only hurt me....and it will hurt you too.

xoxo

ETA: Oh your avatar pic....you already are a flower hun, you just don't see it like everyone else does

Last edited by InsideMe; 09-27-2011 at 01:21 PM.
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Oh, sweetheart. Please don't let your mother distract you. While I am sure she is well intentioned, her actions can derail your weightloss. May I just say I am DAMN proud of the weight you have lost and know the commitment it has taken for you to get there.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #6  
Happy Member

Can you just ignore her? I know she is your mother, and you love her and respect her, but comments like that do nothing to bolster your self-esteem.

I'm sorry, I know that comments like that really can hurt!!!
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

You know, I think I would tell her that you don't want to discuss weight with her again. Ever.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Your mom still sees you as her child, so she thinks she can simply tell you her opinion without repercussions.

You are bothered because you think she should change because you have reached your 20s. (I assume you're in your 20s from your user name.)

You might want to tell her, politely and kindly but firmly, that you are an adult now, and she should not say anything to you that she wouldn't say to one of her adult friends. If she says, "But you're my daughter!" you probably need to say, "But I'm no longer a child, and I don't want to be treated as such."

This message will have to be repeated a few times... her behavior is not going to change instantly. And, neither is yours! You'll have to learn how to counter what she is saying without behaving in an angry way.

Oh, and by the way, you may never change her opinion. She may always see you as not quite ____ enough (thin, pretty, short, tall, buxom, etc.). But as others have said, that's her problem, not yours--unless you buy into it!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Thanks so much for the advice and support. I know you guys are right...I just need to realize it's her problem. I've tried to talk to her about how her comments make me feel...it usually ends up getting really heated and emotional, with both of us getting defensive. I guess I'll have to just stop talking to her about weight loss period. It's hard though, b/c she's the one person I feel is interested enough to discuss weight loss at all. But I think that would probably keep me from feeling like I do now, so I'll give it a try!
MedChick87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #10  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

You have done an outstanding job losing the weight you have. This is about YOU and no one else. Its about the way you feel and how you see yourself. I am 45 years old and JUST started dealing with my weight. My mom always commented on it but was just worried because both of my grand parents had diabetes and didn't want me to have to deal with that. I have always been a big girl since I was small, and was the biggest girl in school. My mom has been my biggest supporter now. She is very proud of me for making the decision to lose the weight. She knew she could push me as hard as she wanted and say the things she said BUT until I was ready it wasn't going to happen. I have loss 80lbs so far and still have about 58 to go. You can succeed, stay positive, your attitude will help you get through all of this. BE HAPPY with yourself and accept yourself no matter what size you are. I was perfectly happy at 388 and didn't care what people said about me. I had accepted the fact that I was bigger and was ok with it. Good luck to you, You will get where you wanna be soon!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #11  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedChick87 View Post
I guess it's just difficult when the person you're closest to in life will probably never see you as good enough.
I feel your pain.

My Mom was anorexic and bulimic when I was growing up. I went overseas for a summer when I was a teenager and contracted amoebic dysentary. I lost about 20 pounds in two weeks. I had been a relatively normal weight before that. Once I was healthy enough, I flew home. My Dad took a picture of me and my Mom at the airport: two skeletons looking like death.

That was 22 years ago.

The picture is still on her mantle. It's her favorite of me.

I'll NEVER be that thin again unless I contract a life-threatening disease, yet she still looks to it as her ideal vision of how I should look.

Last edited by LovesBassets; 09-27-2011 at 05:58 PM.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #12  

Wow, I have the same issues with my mom. I can't believe this is such a common issue! For me it's bad because my sister is still in her mid-teens. We started working on our weight at the same time, and of course, she dropped five dress sizes but I'm still working on my first dress size down! Result: It looks to my mother like I'm not trying. Not that I live with her, but you wouldn't know it the way she thinks she intimately knows my lifestyle.

I think she wishes I look like the grown daughters of the other women at church. But my mom's not exactly at an appropriate BMI herself... it gets so frustrating. I just want to visit for a weekend without being told I'm overweight as if I didn't know it from the person who hurts the most to say it.
Bethedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #13  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

This is my mother and my mother in law. I was supposed to be my mother's perfect child. I disappointed her by not being perfect. Same with my MIL.. how was I so lucky.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

My mother also has an obsession talking about her weight and the weight of others.

She praises others that have lost weight as if they have godly powers and then the moment they gain back a bit they aren't as divine anymore.

She definitely learned from her mother and family to associate worth with beauty and being skinny. Power, for her, is being skinny. She yo-yoed her entire life and spent 70% of it talking about weight.

It is hard for me to resist this trait - it is so ingrained.

Just make sure you are different, that skinny, fit people have the same amount of worth as overweight people. You can't change your mother - I can't change mine. Since I've gotten older, I just try to look past her "not so deep" qualities and to her lovely qualities - the qualities everyone loves about her.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 194/194/169

Height: 5'8"

Oh mothers. My mother does the same thing. I have been criticized my whole life. This time around, I have not told my mother a word about my diet. It's a relief!
toraziyal is offline   Reply With Quote