Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 09-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/146/120

Height: 5'2.5''

Default Shopping for petite jeans

With the weather getting cooler, I need to buy some jeans but I've been too scared to shop for jeans because I am not really where I want to be weight wise. I am short. (5'2") I'm not even sure what size jeans I should be wearing What brands are good for shorties? Gap? Ann Taylor? Old Navy? Thanks in advance!
PinkFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Ialways by petite as I am only 5' even. I have gotten Levi's , Lee's and others marked petite, I have also gotten several pair at Talbot's. Sometimes I get a pair marked short rather than petite, they will fit as far as length goes but they just are not as trim fitting. I take a tape measure with me into the dressing room and measure the inseam before I try them on as I do not want to go to the expense of having them altered.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Have you measured your inseam? While petite pants are generally for women 5'4" and under, you may or may not need them depending on your leg length.

While because of my height is should need petite pants, I always have a difficult time because I have a 31" inseam. Petite is usually 30" or under I believe, while regular is 32"!

I always seem to do awesome at Old Navy when it comes to their jeans though. I have to try quite a few on, but I can usually find jeans that aren't too long and they fit nice. I love their skinny jeans (Rockstar Jeggings FTW) and they usually fit me perfectly. While Old Navy's skinny jeans are usually the perfect length for me, I just love skinny jeans in general because it's so easy to cuff them

Since I'm still moving down in sizes, one thing I generally do is buy my jeans/pants a little tight. Not so tight that I can't wear them, but just tight enough that I'd have to wear a loose top. That way I get a little bit more use out of them as I shrink.

Last edited by sontaikle; 09-27-2011 at 11:41 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #4  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm a really big fan of Levi's, plus they offer a wide selection of inseam lengths (30, 32, 34 etc). Another big advantage is that you can go by how curvy you are so they end up fitting really well! I often get the gap in the back of my jeans by going with other brand but with Levi's I don't have that anymore! If you don't have as much butt, though, don't worry because they have ones with less curve too.

I'd suggest going into a store and finding what size/curve/length works well for you and then looking online for sales. I found a really great pair in the store and did just that and saved a ton of money.

The quality is also really great, I've found they last longer than my other jeans (a big deal for me because I typically wear out the inseams quickly thanks to my thighs rubbing together. Levi's don't do that for me, though, so it's another big plus.

FWIW, I really don't like old navy and gap jeans. there's way too much stretch in the material and by the end of the day they're falling off of me. Levi's don't put as much spandex in the material so they hold their shape better.

ETA: ITA on buying them tight. You want to breathe but even the best jeans do get loser by the end of the day. also, if you still have any to lose they'll loosen up over time.

Last edited by runningfromfat; 09-27-2011 at 01:25 PM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/146/120

Height: 5'2.5''

Thank you for all your advice, tips, recommendations!!
It's so frustrating when you're short and everything is too long, too wide in certain areas, too stretchy, etc. I'll keep 'quality' in mind and take a measuring tape to the dressing room with me!!!
PinkFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #6  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFairy View Post
Thank you for all your advice, tips, recommendations!!
It's so frustrating when you're short and everything is too long, too wide in certain areas, too stretchy, etc. I'll keep 'quality' in mind and take a measuring tape to the dressing room with me!!!
Try to check out the percentage of spandex in the jeans. I think it needs to be 2% or under to hold its shape well. You do want some in there because they'll conform to your curves better but if it's too much (I think old navy has something like 5%?) then they'll fall off you eventually. Another thing too is try not to dry them in a dryer. If you can line dry them they'll hold their shape better.

Good luck!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Look for jeans that are marked as petite, they will not only have a shorter inseam but will be proportioned as to waist, etc. I found that going by inseam alone just doesn't work. Ask at the store if they have proportioned jens.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I love the editor pant from express and it comes in denim. They fit my mom and I so well that we just order them without trying on since we both know our sizes.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #9  
Ready...Set....GO!

S/C/G: 132/120/110

Height: 4'11"

I'm also short (just under 5') and the only place I can find jeans that fit me well is Ann Taylor Loft. I also don't like jeans to sit on my waist because it's SO short...so I always get the "Marisa" cut that sits just below the waist. I also love the clothes there because they seem to understand that not everybody who is "petite" is 85 years old... ha.
Emerald Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #10  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Eyes View Post
I'm also short (just under 5') and the only place I can find jeans that fit me well is Ann Taylor Loft. I also don't like jeans to sit on my waist because it's SO short...so I always get the "Marisa" cut that sits just below the waist. I also love the clothes there because they seem to understand that not everybody who is "petite" is 85 years old... ha.
My favorite jeans came from An Taylor Loft. I still have to have them hemmed. I have to have everything hemmed.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

I am short, I think my inseam is 26". I buy A.N.A Jeans in the petite section at JC Penny. They are stylish and inexpensive. I don't like to spend a lot of money on clothes while I am losing.
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 170/157/120

Height: 4'11"

I'm on 4'11 so Ive got the same problem! Ann Taylor and Talbots are expensive..
I got my favorite pair of jeans at Buckle. They have a wide variety of jeans and a lot of them can be pricey (I paid $70- which i NEVER do..) but they have free alterations so if you find a pair you love you dont have to worry about the length they will alter them! Express also has short length but beware their sizes run big and sometimes the jeans stretch out!

My best recommendation is Buckle which is at many malls.. they also let you pay some and do layaway if you need to!
ashxoxo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #13  

I'm 5'6" but have to wear petite because I don't wear heels and all pants are way too long for me and I hate the look of rolling them up at the bottom. I just bought some regular and boot cut jeans at Lane Bryant, but didn't get the right size, they are too big.

Supposedly if you get jeans there, get them so tight that you can barely button them, sit down or breathe. They stretch out within 5 minutes of putting them on and if you got something that fit just right to begin with, the pants will hang on you like baggy mom jeans.

What was their size 22 a couple of years ago seems to be a size 20 now. It's nice to see a smaller number when I GAINED 30 pounds, but I wish they would be more honest/realistic in their sizes.
GwenSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #14  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

I am 5'2" and I have struggled with this all my life. I have yo-yo-ed so many times, and paid a fortune in altering clothes down only to out-grow them again. Not to mention, like you, hemlines are always too long for me.

To solve this problem, I invested in a $99 sewing machine from Craigslist and I learned how to sew a straight stitch. I can make curtains, sheets, pillowcases, I can do really basic alterations (but not the more complex ones) -- and I can hem skirts and pants. It has saved me sooo much money. I shop resale and I buy items which fit my waist and hips, regardless of the length. It only takes a half hour to hem them up.

Last edited by shr1nk1ngme; 10-23-2011 at 12:27 PM.
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #15  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I don't know if you have a Kohl's near you, but mine has a fairly good selection of Petite jeans. They have a lot of Lee jeans as well as their own brand.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote