Support Groups - IF (Intermittent Fasting) Support Group Part II

Pages : [1] 2

JohnP
09-26-2011, 07:28 PM
I wanted to respond to the diabetes issue. It is surprising for many people to discover that fewer larger meals allows your body to better regulate blood sugar levels.

I'm sure it isn't the case for everyone but here is a bit of a review on some research.

http://www.leangains.com/2011/01/better-blood-glucose-with-lower-meal.html

Visionary
09-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks for that posting John.

It's amazing, that I have been a diabetic for so long and that with all the diets and weight loss my sugar never went down to where it should be. Only after IF did I accomplish this.

I also noticed that with IF I am not hungry all the time like I used to be and I am enjoying my healthy meals so much more.

I am following a 12-6 daily eating time. I use to hate to make myself eat breakfast and I always had a problem with night time eating. IF is the only thing that has ever solved these issues.

I feel so much better and my weight loss has been steady and smooth with IF.

I do have a question, if anyone knows the answer. Is taking any kind of supplements at night or not during eating times discouraged? I am assuming it is but would love some feedback on it.

KTucke7
09-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Glad to find the thread! I was starting to sweat ;) I have a friend who is hypoglycemic. She decided to give IF a try and hasn't had one episode since she started (Fast 5). She used to average a couple of "spells" a week from it.

FutureFitMom
09-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Visionary - congratulations! That is amazing! So glad IF is working so well for you! IF is life-changing!

FassGal
09-28-2011, 09:52 AM
VISIONARY - Congratulations!!!!

I can only tell you that I take meds and vitamins with my IF meals, to discourage breaking the IF habit I worked so hard to build and if I take them without food I feel sick. On a side note, if I am sick and need to take meds outside of my IF mealtime then I will have something small, like a fruit and icecold seltzer water, to take with it.

JohnP
09-28-2011, 11:55 AM
What kind of supplements? I only take fish oil pills and occasionally a multi-vitmin.

luvinit
09-28-2011, 12:28 PM
I have been reading leangains website and am wondering about fasted workouts and muscle protein synthesis. Sometimes I think that the things I'm reading might be geared more toward body building or already very fit people vs. someone overweight.

I workout in the mornings till about 10:30 then try to get home and have my protein smoothie (EAS plus fruit and omega oil and greens) within 30 min. as recommended in most places. But it seemed like he was saying that

1.) It's ok to have a pre-work out BCAA drink which I realize is not the same as a regular protein shake. But as a nonbodybuilder is a regular protein shake ok? Is there anything you recommend? Will taking BCAA vs. protein shake make a difference?

2.)You don't need your post protein within 30 minutes of workout because you will get the same benefits if you get your protein within 2 hours.

I realize just moving and getting in the exercise is the most important but sometimes I feel like I might have a little more energy or have a little more efficient workout if I eat something before hand. But I don't want to ruin the IF process. So far I have been doing my workouts only drinking water before and during. My eating window is from about 11am to 6-7pm. thanks!

Visionary
09-28-2011, 01:11 PM
In response to my earlier question, I have my IF eat time from 1-6 and will give myself a 12-5 window if needed ( Having lunch w someone or just need to eat).

I used to like to take a detox supplement before bed and just don't know if I should do it on a IF plan. I was not doing it every night just if I felt I needed an extra detox boost through the night into the morning. I can drink detox tea... no calories and a liquid. But is a tablet or capsule ok? or should I just stay away from it to keep the integrity of my IF plan.

I am so happy with the results so far, I want to stay with what is protocol.

Visionary
09-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Also, thank you for the nice encouragement.

As happy as I am with my weight loss, I am BLOWN AWAY by how IF has helped my diabetes!

AndLy
09-29-2011, 07:39 PM
I continue to love IF. I'm on week 4 and have done approximately 2 24hr fasts each week, and have a 6 hour daily window. I'm down 21.5 lbs and feel great. I'm glad to see all the newbies in here and love reading the successes :)

KTucke7
09-30-2011, 12:37 PM
@luvinit The info on the leangains site re BCAA's or protein are referring to workouts where people are lifting heavy. The site says light to moderate workouts while fasting are fine without supplementation with BCAA's or protein shakes. Unless you are lifting hard and heavy at the gym or doing highly aerobic workouts, you won't need to take anything. I.e. I walk on my lunch hour, lift some hand weights in the AM and don't eat until 5 PM.

As for the fast, BCAA's aren't considered to break the fast. A protein shake will. Hope this helps!

KTucke7
09-30-2011, 12:42 PM
@Visionary Eating 50 calories or more is considered to have "broken the fast." If your pills and teas don't have more than 50 calories total you should be fine taking them in the fasting window. Guess it's a matter of whether they should be taken with food. A lot of vitamins and supplements need to be taken with food to be effective, but some don't.

deucesarewild1
10-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Folks - would you recommend BCAAs for someone with a physical job who has hit a wall towards the end of the day and dragging their feet towards the last few hours - or strictly for high intensity workouts/weights?

I think SOME days I'm just going to need SOMETHING to keep me going at work - at least for the first month or so - just trying to figure out what the best something would be to keep myself in as much of a fasted state as possible and keep me losing weight.

SoFlyGirly
10-02-2011, 02:51 PM
This is something I think I may try...

I have an odd schedule, since I'm a night-shift nurse (11p-7:30a). I usually wake up around 4, do some errands, gym from 7-8:15, come home, eat, shower, go to work, get home around 8am and sleep. I think IF would work if I made my window 6p-11p (or something like that), b/c I could have a pre-gym snack, an energy drink at the gym, a protein shake when I get home from the gym, a Fullbar (love those) and my dinner meal all before I go to work. I'm usually so busy at work that I don't have time to eat anyways, and if I do, it's junk. I think eating a lot within a few hours would be better, and keep me full through work. Well, I'll let you guys know how it goes! :)

JohnP
10-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Folks - would you recommend BCAAs for someone with a physical job who has hit a wall towards the end of the day and dragging their feet towards the last few hours - or strictly for high intensity workouts/weights?

I think SOME days I'm just going to need SOMETHING to keep me going at work - at least for the first month or so - just trying to figure out what the best something would be to keep myself in as much of a fasted state as possible and keep me losing weight.

Yes - I would suggest eating. Your post suggests you don't understand how fat loss works. Fasting doesn't induce some magical state of weight loss or change the laws of thermodynamics. You can fast for 20 hours and eat for four hours and gain fat if you eat enough during the 4 hours. Calories matter. IF does nothing to change this.

If you're running out of steam than adopt a shorter fasting period. You don't have to fast for 24 hours or 20 hours or 19 hours for IF to work. I follow a 16/8 window. A 14/10 window works good too.

Visionary
10-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Thank you KTucke7, That really helped and it makes sense.

deucesarewild1
10-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Haha.. I do understand how it works. I know it all comes down to calories in and calories out - that you could should you really want to, eat doughnuts and twinkies all day and lose weight if you keep within calories.

My reason for wanting to use IF to HELP me lose weight (not magically make me lose weight) is that if I eat throughout the day, I will definitely overeat - and I will feel near constant hunger no matter how much I eat - not to mention, stopping to eat takes away precious time (=$$) from my work day :P . IF is the only way Ive found that keeps hunger at bay through the day. Also, I want to keep my window as short as possible as I like to go to bed on a full stomach and the smaller my window the easier it is to control my hunger and appetite and keep my calorie intake lower.

That said, I dont want to be underperforming at work where the faster and harder I go, the more money I make. I do not work on hourly or on salary, I get paid based on my performance and speed. I thought BCAAs might be an alternative to eating near the end of my work day to keep my energy up but my appetite and hunger down, especially considering the physical intensity. Like I said I prefer to eat later in the evening, it works for me socially and mentally and fits in perfectly with my lifestyle, except for the last 1-2 hour stretch the end of the work day. If I adopt a longer eating window, it will be much harder to control things. I am currently on 18/6 window, give or take here and there.

KTucke7
10-02-2011, 07:42 PM
@deucesarewild I drink green tea all day at work. Seems to help with alertness and with appetite control too. On the other hand, BCAA's won't hurt you and might be worth a try if you need something and can't fit eating into your schedule. Drawback to BCAA's would be cost for me.

JohnP
10-02-2011, 07:50 PM
BCAAs won't help with energy levels. Green tea is a decent idea and worth a try but if it works it will work because of the caffeine.

I know that caffeine would work but it's a slippery slope because sooner or later your body will adjust to the dose and you'll have to up it to get the same effect.

How long have you been IFing? It could be that your body just needs to adjust to using fat as it's primary source of fuel during the fast.

deucesarewild1
10-02-2011, 08:11 PM
BCAAs won't help with energy levels. Green tea is a decent idea and worth a try but if it works it will work because of the caffeine.

I know that caffeine would work but it's a slippery slope because sooner or later your body will adjust to the dose and you'll have to up it to get the same effect.

How long have you been IFing? It could be that your body just needs to adjust to using fat as it's primary source of fuel during the fast.

I do drink a lot of coffee :^:

I have been IFing only days this time but I have done it in the past, but then I didnt have this job either. Im sure I will adjust in time, and my question was aimed at getting me through the next month, maybe two. I may throw in an apple in the first couple weeks and wean off. Caffeine alone hasnt been cutting it in those last hours.

Even if I did end up having to have an apple a day before my break-fast it would not make IFing the rest of the time an unworthy cause. Im sure in some time Id be able to remove it completely.

Thanks!

Valeriao
10-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Hello, I'm starting IF again. I like not eating all day. When I was on a diet, I would have 5 to 6 small meals a day. It takes money and time to prepare meals. I like the 5 hour window for eating. This time I will watch my portion size. In my fasting time, I would drink oblong tea and water with lemon juice. Today is my first day back on IF. Thank you for starting the new thread.

Visionary
10-04-2011, 01:52 PM
I have a question...

When you are fasting what things do you intake that you enjoy?
( Looking for some alternatives to water, tea, coffee...)

I have such a huge variety of tea's mostly green teas. I enjoy them, but would like to find some other things that others would suggest and stay on Fasting protocol.

Best ideas win a prize... well I don't have a prize but you'll be a winner just for coming up with any good ideas that we can all share!:carrot:

deucesarewild1
10-04-2011, 08:40 PM
I do cold tea as well as hot and make cold brewed iced coffee and mix different types of tea, try a fruit mixed with green or white or oolong or an herbal sweet tea gosh there are so many teas out there that you could never get bored with all the combinations - club soda w/ lime or lemon juice is one of my favourite drinks and some evenings I'll add vodka to that soda.

I'm not an artificial sweetener fan but there are a lot of drink mixes with them and diet soda - but BLECH imo.

Visionary
10-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Just curious, I usually eat 1-2 regular meals and then have a few healthy snacks such as nuts when I am in my eating window. I'll even graze on protein if I feel hungry.

I notice I am not eating as much, which is a very good thing. I do believe I am getting enough food and nutrition.

Just curious what works for others during your eating times.

luvinit
10-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Thank you for your input KTucke7! I like his blog but sometimes all the terminology gets confusing.

JohnP
10-06-2011, 01:03 AM
Thank you for your input KTucke7! I like his blog but sometimes all the terminology gets confusing.

Any questions just ask. I'm somewhat certain I can answer most of them. :D

Visionary
10-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Ok, since I am new to IF, I have been strict with my times and it works for me.

I am having great results and never felt better.

It is interesting how a few people, including well intentioned family members are trying to get me to eat outside my time window.

I felt so upset and didn't even want to go to eat with them after the told me to loosen up and eat later. Anyone else have people you care about that just don't get it and try to get you off the plan? Does it make you feel a bit upset when people do that?

Just curious and venting a bit.

Thanks.

indiblue
10-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Hey IFers!

I have asked this question before- and so have others- but want to confirm what I think is the answer....

I lift 2x a week. My 8-10 RM range is bench around 52 lbs, squat around 66 lbs, etc. I don't know my 1 RM- the weights in the gym I use aren't heavy enough. I think this is considered moderate for women?

From what I understand, this is not heavy enough to require protein within a few hours of lifting correct? I can lift around 8-9 AM and not open my window until 1 or 2 PM, without detriment to my muscles?

Thanks!

saga77039
10-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Hey guys.. I started doing this and Tuesday was my first day. I feel great and I think this is something that I can stick to. I have a question regarding times. I like the 3-8 window because I dont think I can hold off anymore than 3pm but I usually get off of work and hit the gym or the running trails. That will usually get me home around 8. So in reality I have a 6 hour window.... that sound ok?

Also.. is it a good idea to have one day be an off day? Like eat three meals?

thanks!

deucesarewild1
10-07-2011, 05:43 PM
I would avoid an off day personally. Your body really gets used to the fast/feast schedule and eating "normally" one day would probably throw you off for a few days and you wont be able to fully adjust to the IF lifestyle.

That said, today I did have to eat during the day as the painkillers I had to take would make me sick to my stomach without eating, and there are some social events where you have to / want to eat - go for it. It sure wont sabotage all of your hard work, but I wouldn't personally go out of my way to have a 3 meals over 16 hours day every week.

JohnP
10-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Hey IFers!

I have asked this question before- and so have others- but want to confirm what I think is the answer....

I lift 2x a week. My 8-10 RM range is bench around 52 lbs, squat around 66 lbs, etc. I don't know my 1 RM- the weights in the gym I use aren't heavy enough. I think this is considered moderate for women?

From what I understand, this is not heavy enough to require protein within a few hours of lifting correct? I can lift around 8-9 AM and not open my window until 1 or 2 PM, without detriment to my muscles?

Thanks!

There are a variety of factors to consider:

Even though you're not lifting really heavy you're still putting your body into a catabolic state. If you're doing 14-16 hour fasts I doubt it matters much. If you're doing 20-24 hour fasts it matters more.

Second factor - how long is your lifting session? What kind of effort are you putting in? The longer the session the more you're contributing towards depleting liver glycogen.

Assuming your goal is to maintain your muscle mass you only need to lift one time a week to do so. Depending on the answers above I think you might be better off lifting once a week and on a day when you can eat shortly after lifting and doing something else for exercise when you can't.

Putting all theoretical wanking aside - I doubt it makes much if any difference. :D The important thing would be that after a lifting session that first meal should have a lot of protein and ample carbs.

indiblue
10-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Thanks John. My window is around 16-18 hours. Lifting sessions are usually 45 minutes and I lift to failure- the basics (squats, lunges, pushups, lat pull down, press, row, etc.).

My goal is to maintain, with my ideal goal to build. However I'm on 1200 calories/day right now so I don't think that's quite realistic ^_^.

I like your idea of only lifting 1x/week and opening my window earlier. Couldn't hurt!

AndLy
10-11-2011, 05:11 PM
I just had another weigh-in and was down 2.5 lbs. This puts me into ONEderland...yay! I just disclosed to the ladies I work with that I only eat between 1-7pm and they started lecturing me about how my body was going into starvation mode, etc...I am sticking by my plan. It's working for me, I am seeing terrific results and don't plan to change anything anytime soon!

KTucke7
10-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Good going AndLy! :)

Visionary
10-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Oh AndLy That is awesome.... Happy Dance for you!!! :carrot:

YES, stick with your plan. It's amazing people always want to give you some other advice after you discover what WORKS for you. :dizzy:

Again! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

I agree IF really does work. I am an IF'er for life.

Mimi123
10-13-2011, 08:39 PM
@Visionary (your venting)

There are a lot of people like that around. I think that they just don't realise how important your diet is to you and that you're sticking with it!

You could always try explaining to them that it has worked for you so far and that you won't change it ;)

purdumse
10-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Hi IFers! This is how I used to eat when I was a skinny mini, I just thought I was a weird eater. But I like to eat BIG MEALS when I eat. A bite of this and a bite of that is not where I stop and my dad is the same way. Half my family has the normal eating genes and my dad and I have the genes that prefer to have one morsel and unleash the wild horses! I much prefer not dealing with food for a period of time and then eating whatever I want.

So I'm glad this is a way of eating people do! So count me in, I'll be following this thread.

I was wondering if anyne out here does Eat Stop Eat? It's intermittent fasting with two fasts of 24 hours in the week. I also wouldn't eat breakfast most days I'm assuming. I never did when I was younger. Plus I have a habit of eating all of my calories in the morning and at night and that generally puts me 1,000 calories over my goal most days.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts, it's always nice to have a bouncing board for my food thoughts.

purdumse
10-14-2011, 02:42 PM
I should also say, a couple months ago I lost 15 pounds through calorie counting. I basically had to white knuckle myself through the whole thing and run five-six miles a day to do it. While I have only gained back two pounds over the past couple months, my progress has halted. It is just very very very hard for me to stop and start eating all day, as I'm sure it is for many IFers. Even three meals at about 600 cals each is unsatisfying to me most days.

KTucke7
10-14-2011, 02:53 PM
@purdumse The reason I like IF so well is that my appetite stays under control. It is like that first meal triggers my eating and cravings. I don't know much about Eat Stop Eat. Have read some but have never tried it. I read the Fast-5 ebook, and decided to try it. I was amazed at how easy it was. I think not eating until 5 PM keeps my appetite under control. Most days, I don't even think about food until close to "feeding time."

You still have to count calories. IF isn't a magic bullet. It is MANAGING those calories that is easier with IF. Instead of taking your 1500 calories (or whatever your number is) and trying to spread them over 16 hours, you can have a couple decent sized meals and feel more satisfied. That is the case with me at any rate.

Good luck!

luvinit
10-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Congrats AndLy!

Thanks to JohnP and indiblue for addressing the post work out protein. I do a bodypump class 3 times a week. Not cause I'm focusing on building muscle or anything but more because it's fun and makes me feel tough! ;)

Mickiejean
10-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Hello ~

I'm a newbie to IF and am currently 3 hours away from completely my first 16 hour fast. I am going to work with a window of 8 hours 1 pm to 9 pm for eating to start. That alone is a huge change for me ~ I generally open the 'fridge straight from bed (sigh).

I eventually want to work up to 24 hour fasts but am going to go this route to start. Nothing else has seemed to work for me and I've been reading about so much success with this so....

I will work to switch my window to 11 am to 7 pm so that I'm not eating so late at night. Any advice on how to do this other than just do it?

Thanks all!

AndLy
10-25-2011, 04:58 PM
I don't have any specific advice on moving your window other than maybe adjust it by 15 minutes a day until you have moved it to the time you are wanting to start at. Good luck with IF, I'm down over 30 lbs total :)

KTucke7
10-26-2011, 10:56 AM
@Mickiejean The only thing I would say is that the myth of late night eating having anything to do with weight loss/gain has been debunked by several studies. So I wouldn't worry about moving your window back unless it is more convenient for you or if eating before bed bothers you physically. I'm one who sleeps like a baby on a full stomach and that is the way I do it. I do fast five with an eating window of 5 PM to 10 PM.

archychick
10-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Andly: Congratulations! :D I totally hear you and struggle with the same issue when I tell people. Sigh.

KT: Better appetite control is exactly what has happened to me too and even after slipping off for a few weeks due to emotional eating, I have maintained my weightloss instead of gaining. I totally agree with you about counting calories though and that this is management. You have hit the nail on the head. ;)

I am having such a problem with stress eating. Since starting IF, I know definitely that my main problem is emotional eating. The one thing that is completely different since I began this woe is that even though I have left it several weeks ago for an erratic eating schedule, I have maintained the weightloss, even lost a pound, that I had when I stopped.

It feels so good to be back on it though and I need to find a way to get my mind in a better place since the stress is not going away. Yeah IF!

Amarantha2
10-28-2011, 08:44 PM
I do intermittent "fasts" of as many hours as I can muster but I don't do the Fast Five as there is no magic for me in a five hour window. But the more I can spread my calories out the better I manage them and I also like the relief of having larger meals but I am so past the myth of eating every few hours. My glucose control is better when I DON'T do that. I don't know why.

geoblewis
10-29-2011, 03:33 AM
Just getting back to IF after a break. I got distracted with travel, family issues and emotional eating. I generally don't do well over the summer. But I'm happy to report I've maintained my weight within a few pounds.

Today I held off eating until 12:30 and then had only two meals. It worked out well for me. I still ate just over 1800 calories, but that's well under my former 2100 calories I used to struggle to stay under. What's different now is that the stress I was experiencing before has been removed and I am a much happier person! So I don't feel so compelled to eat in order to mask bad feelings and constant stress. Plus, I make much better choices.

I'm also sticking to a strictly Paleo diet, the Whole30 plan. No grains, legumes, dairy, processed foods or grain-fed meats. I've been eating like that for two weeks solid and I feel pretty awesome! Didn't lose weight on that plan because I was still eating too much with the three meals a day, so that's why I've switched back to IF.

Since today was my first day back at IF, I'm cutting myself some slack. But my goal is to get calories down to 1650 in the next month. Hoping to pick up the weight loss pace too. I want new clothes by spring!

Amarantha2
10-29-2011, 08:53 AM
Awesome success in paring things down calorie wise and sticking to the Paleo Diet, Georgia.

geoblewis
10-30-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm a bit joyous this morning. Going completely off plan got my weight back up to 310. Eating Paleo made me feel really good, cutting carbs helped, exercising help with that too, but since being back on IF, I'm back down to 299 this morning!

:carrot::carrot::carrot:

Amarantha2
10-31-2011, 08:06 AM
Congratulations, geoblewis!!!

I am not doing IF exactly (doing Sugar Busters and calorie counting right now), but IF and the concept has really helped me lengthen the periods between meals back to the more normal (for me) way I ate in my youth when weight wasn't so much of an issue. So I am glad there is a thread on 3FC for it.

KTucke7
10-31-2011, 12:49 PM
@geoblewis Good going! :)

KTucke7
10-31-2011, 12:52 PM
@Amarantha You are right, there is no magic in Fast 5. The eating window you choose for IF is whatever works best for you. I do 5 hours because that gives me the easiest control on appetite. It seems that after the first bite crosses my lips my appetite kicks in. Using a short eating window works for me simply because it give me less time to eat and when I do eat I can eat more. Anyone starting IF should probably experiment with eating windows to see where their "sweet spot" is.

geoblewis
11-02-2011, 02:16 AM
I like to eat in the evenings. It's when my appetite really kicks up. But I have issues with getting too hungry and limiting calories. I can eat a lot when left unchecked. Easily put away 2000 calories. But I'm shooting for 1200. I do eat a lot of vegetables, but I also add extra olive oil, avocado and almonds.

Today I had a bigger breakfast (pastured egg omelet with turkey bacon, cooked in ghee), hoping it would help me push my second meal later into the day, like around 5. It worked, and I braised kale with a little chopped hard salami. I intended to have a tomato salad too, but went to a sports thing for my son that I forgot about. I was too tired to cook so I offered Taco Bell. I wasn't going to eat anything from there but...600 calories later, I'm kicking myself! I would have been just fine if I had gone home!

So, back on track for tomorrow.

Amarantha2
11-02-2011, 08:44 AM
@geoblewiss, huzzah on the loss!

@KTucke7, yea, I feel that way too about establishing less time to eat. I bought into, for a long time, the idea that I should always eat six meals a day to lose weight and manage my blood sugar. I am now rethinking that strategy.

This really isn't exactly IF but I've been using some new software to reformulate my weight goals by date. Weight goals are part of my life goals. It is very important to the way I feel to control my weigth and fitness.

I am now on the old Sugar Busters program (again, did it years ago). I modify it to suit myself but one thing they say is the old advice against eating too late at night. That has been debunked by later science as far as weigh loss but it is a good idea in general as it does cut down on the amount of time I can eat eat eat.

Working on that. Ideal for me would be three meals a day, period. I am not there yet. I do think that is a form of IF because if I could train my body and blood sugar to completely "fast" between the three meals and at night, life would be simpler and I would feel better.

But not there yet. :)

indiblue
11-02-2011, 10:40 AM
geoblewis I find really large lunches (30% of cals) at 1 PM and snacks (20% of cals) at 3-4 PM help keep me from getting too hungry for my evening meal. If I get enough protein and fiber during those meals I have to really work to eat the rest of my cals for dinner!

Amarantha totally OT but every time I see your username I think of One Hundred Years of Solitude! Is it in any way connected to that book? I'm so curious!

Amarantha2
11-02-2011, 11:30 AM
@indiblue, no, didn't know that name was in there, now I have to read it. :)

The name is an old handle I have used here and there about the internet. I am rather gabby on forums. I think I read the name in a book somewhere but not that one. I really just put an "a" on the seed "amaranth" because I was trying to get to like that once as a healthy grain.

Woot to all! It is going to be a great sugar free day!

luvinit
11-02-2011, 12:02 PM
@geoblewiss, great comeback!

I've joined WW but still continue to use IF. I'm not sure if WW is for or against it but I love it.

geoblewis
11-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Luvinit, I'm playing with WW lately, doing it IF and Paleo. When I mentioned IF to some WW people, it was like I was trying to introduce devil worship at church! I'm finding some resistance to the Paleo too. But I'm just ignoring the nay-sayers and doing what works for me.

Amarantha2
11-03-2011, 12:37 PM
I also think we should just do what works for us. Right now I am OFF the Sugar Busters' plan per se because it isn't working for me in its strict form but I am sugar free, counting calories and working on an IF style meal pattern that really isn't IF as defined by Fast Five or anything formal, just trying to train self not to need to eat every hour of the day!!!

It is all very individual. :)

Allura Beatu
11-04-2011, 05:34 AM
Glad to find the thread! I was starting to sweat ;) I have a friend who is hypoglycemic. She decided to give IF a try and hasn't had one episode since she started (Fast 5). She used to average a couple of "spells" a week from it.

Thanks for this info!

Allura Beatu
11-04-2011, 05:36 AM
Luvinit, I'm playing with WW lately, doing it IF and Paleo. When I mentioned IF to some WW people, it was like I was trying to introduce devil worship at church! I'm finding some resistance to the Paleo too. But I'm just ignoring the nay-sayers and doing what works for me.

Fasting is an excellent way to detox! Good for you for doing what works for you.

Allura Beatu
11-04-2011, 05:43 AM
Hello ~

I'm a newbie to IF and am currently 3 hours away from completely my first 16 hour fast. I am going to work with a window of 8 hours 1 pm to 9 pm for eating to start. That alone is a huge change for me ~ I generally open the 'fridge straight from bed (sigh).

I eventually want to work up to 24 hour fasts but am going to go this route to start. Nothing else has seemed to work for me and I've been reading about so much success with this so....

I will work to switch my window to 11 am to 7 pm so that I'm not eating so late at night. Any advice on how to do this other than just do it?

Thanks all!

I am a newbie too!

fatklr
11-04-2011, 11:04 AM
I tried IF over the summer by doing the 5-hr window, and totally got off of it. I'm back again and this time I'm doing two 24-hr fasts a week. Today I'm on my second fast of the week, and it's going great. I am only drinking water during the fast - usually ending up to be about 3 or 4 liters a day. I am eating dinner at 8 or 9pm, then fast until the next day at the same time. So far, so good!!! The biggest thing I need to keep an eye on is making sure I don't pig out once it's time for dinner!

Amarantha2
11-05-2011, 01:20 PM
The longest fast I have been able to do is 12 hours. I am thinking of doing that twice a week for awhile, not sure. It is interesting to read everyone's experiences with this. Have a great day, all!

geoblewis
11-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Just back from a partying weekend in SF. So busy that I averaged only 1050 cals a day. Have dropped two pounds since Friday! I'm going to try to keep as close to that level of calories a day within my eating window. Have been counseled that it'll take me a couple weeks of staying on top of emotionally and then it'll get easier. I really am motivated to drop the weight now, and I'm starting to believe I can do this!

shr1nk1ngme
11-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Hello all! I am a low carb vegetarian and I have successfully lost 45 pounds, starting with MediFast and then switching to low carb.

However, I am getting close to my goal and I have hit a slump. I am pretty sure I am in starvation mode. I tend to go lower and lower on my calories as I see more and more results, but then I have set my metabolism to hoard calories.

So I am thinking of trying JUDDD so that I can reset my metabolism and mix it up a little. I will still go low carb, but I am going to be switching out my diet on alternate days.

I have a question: Can I JUDDD with up days on MWF and do two down days in a row on most weekends? It will be easier for me to do if I can be on a predictable schedule.

Someone please convince me this is what I need to do. I struggle so much with adding more calories to my plan in order to lose weight. I know this is what I need to do in theory, but a big part of me is scared it will be going backwards.

I am 5'2" and 44 years old, I was thinking a 500 - 1700 spread would be perfect for me. What do you think?

Wannabehealthy
11-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Hello all! I am a low carb vegetarian and I have successfully lost 45 pounds, starting with MediFast and then switching to low carb.

However, I am getting close to my goal and I have hit a slump. I am pretty sure I am in starvation mode. I tend to go lower and lower on my calories as I see more and more results, but then I have set my metabolism to hoard calories.

So I am thinking of trying JUDDD so that I can reset my metabolism and mix it up a little. I will still go low carb, but I am going to be switching out my diet on alternate days.

I have a question: Can I JUDDD with up days on MWF and do two down days in a row on most weekends? It will be easier for me to do if I can be on a predictable schedule.

Someone please convince me this is what I need to do. I struggle so much with adding more calories to my plan in order to lose weight. I know this is what I need to do in theory, but a big part of me is scared it will be going backwards.

I am 5'2" and 44 years old, I was thinking a 500 - 1700 spread would be perfect for me. What do you think?

Hmmm, I replied, but it didn't show up. Hope I don't duplicate. You have done very well on your weight loss. :carrot: Remember, your calorie requirements go down as you lose. That is one of the downsides of losing weight. I think 500 calories would be too low, unless you only do it once in a while to jolt your system. And 1700 should only be for special occasions. Try playing with the numbers in between to see what works. Everyone is different. For me, I have to be at 1200-1500 in order to lose, and unfortunately I haven't been sticking to that very well lately.

I am not familiar with JUDDD. I will have to look it up to see what it's all about.

Violet73
11-15-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm back to IF. I've been reading how great it is for rheumatoid arthritis and I'm hoping it will help with my joint pain and inflammation. I'm going to do a lower carb version, but not extremely low carb.

Shrink, what is the low carb vegetarian way? What is/was your menu if you don't mind sharing? Oh and congrats on the 45 pounds lost! That's excellent!

Violet73
11-17-2011, 08:22 AM
I feel so much better doing IF. I just know my body can't handle eating throughout the day. I always feel like I'm starving at night when I do that and then I overload on calories. Doing IF helps my metabolism I think. Time will tell, but I know I feel better already :carrot:

Wannabehealthy
11-17-2011, 10:41 AM
I feel so much better doing IF. I just know my body can't handle eating throughout the day. I always feel like I'm starving at night when I do that and then I overload on calories. Doing IF helps my metabolism I think. Time will tell, but I know I feel better already :carrot:

For me, it helps me cut back on calories. I do a modified IF. I used to eat breakfast as soon as I got up. Now I wait until around 11AM and I eat a combined breakfast/lunch. We eat dinner early, around 4:30-5:00, and I have a snack in the evening. For a serious IF I should not be eating after dinner, but I have to take meds in the evening and I am diabetic, so I have to have something in the evening. I try to think of something I really really like to make it worthwhile. LOL And I try to keep it small. When I started doing this I had never heard of IF. Then I read this board and realized that I was doing something that others already knew about!

Amarantha2
11-18-2011, 06:51 PM
slmn11, your eating schedule is a lot like mine lately. I used to do what I call "brunch" just one day a week but now it is getting more and more the norm. I have an early dinner and sometimes a snack at night if working a late meeting, which is less and less these days.

FassGal
11-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Thought this might be of interest to some:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/10/prweb8874352.htm

There's also a free e-book.

Enjoy!

KTucke7
11-21-2011, 02:37 PM
@FassGal I read that when it was linked on twitter a few days ago. Interesting stuff! :)

AndLy
11-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Still going strong with IF. I'm over half way to my goal. My window is still 1-7pm. I never get hungry after 7 but occasionally I find myself wanting something earlier than 1. I drink a lot of water or iced tea to try to fill up during those times.

jendiet
11-30-2011, 02:44 AM
I thought this was interesting. I love IF. I don't love people's reactions to it, and frankly I have enough stress in my life.

I remember thinking, IF works because of the insulin resistance connection. So does the Carb Addict's diet. I thought the two didn't bounce off each other but then I read a few days ago in the book by the Hellers (the original)

"Once at work, I was surprised at how fast the morning passed. I bought a cup of black coffee when the cart came by, but I barely touched it. I was very busy and only half aware of the comings and goings of the people around me. I worked right through lunch. At about 2 o'clock the coffee cart came to the door again. To my surprise, I realized I wasn't especially hungry; in fact, I felt fewer cravings than I usually did when I had eaten a big breakfast and lunch, at that moment. . . . I bought two French cruellers. . . packed them away into my paper bag. . . .I planned to eat them in the dressing room. . . .After 5'o clock, I finally ate my fill.. . . .the next morning I got on the scale and saw that I was 2 lbs lighter."

All this time, I thought since one advocated eating NO CARBS until the reward meal, and the other advocated NOT EATING until your eating window, they couldn't be related. However, the Dr.'s who worked on the CAD did the research regarding WHY the first diet (skipping breakfast and lunch) worked and came up with the CAD.

If, IF will not work for you for one particular day, try the CAD. This is basically NO CARBS nada--until ONE MEAL and eaten only for an hour.

ennay
11-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Do you expand your window on days you just are ravenous? This morning I woke up ravenous. Went about my normal business but by 11 I was shaky and had not had one moment not thinking about food all day. I wonder if today would have been a day to do something different

AndLy
12-02-2011, 11:25 AM
I never expand my window, even if I get home from work late and miss my window to have dinner. That just ends up being a 24 hour fast night. I think if you move your windows around too much it won't be as effective for you. Perhaps you didn't eat enough calories the previous day and that's why you were so ravenous?

ennay
12-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I didnt eat enough calories the day before but I wasnt hungry the day before. (Well actually I ATE my normal amount but I had a big burn that day)

I guess I'll just have to play around. For certain i will not be doing any 24 hour fasts any time soon.

LavenderDreams
12-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Hello everyone ~

Haven't been to 3FC in a long time but my battle to lose weight has never stopped! In trying everything under the sun, JUDDD was the only thing that worked for me until I quit working it. :o Never got near to goal, but I did see the scale move more than I ever did with anything else. Between that and a prior few days attempt at Fast-5, those have been my foray into IF.

I've been doing Fast-5 for a week now. Like a lot of you expressed, once I eat, it's hard to stop. I'd rather condense my eating into a few hours. I've only lost 3 lbs. so far and that's been an up and down thing. But, I feel good and suffer no ill effects during or after exercising. I'm also *trying* to get back to lower carb eating as I always feel better when I cut the processed carbs out.

My window is generally 3-8 and it's been really pretty easy. I generally have a cup of coffee and tea - both with a little cream - during my fasting hours. Playing those facebook games keeps me busy both at home and work! :D

I'm on an IF team on another site, but it's very slow. I found the original IF thread on here yesterday doing a Google search and saw it's a bit more active, but this one has been silent for a few days now! But, I know there's not a whole lot to talk about when you're not eating a lot!

KTucke7
12-08-2011, 03:18 PM
I was wondering where everyone was too! Guess Christmas shopping ;)

I love Fast-5 and hope you see good progress with it. I've been doing it since February of 2011, and can't see myself ever going back. Sooooo easy.

Good luck!

sapphiregirl
12-11-2011, 03:06 PM
This is where the IF folks are! I've been posting on another part of the forum but there was little to no discussion.

I've been doing ESE since this past Tuesday and have finally broken through my plateau.

Proatthis
12-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Hey everyone

I just decided today that I want to try IF. I have been at a plateau with my weight since the beginning of October. I currently do weight watchers and the scale just has not been moving down.

So I am choosing to have my 5 hour window between 730am and 1230. I love eating early in the day and actually have always naturally never wanted to eat dinner. So this sounds good for me.

I would love to hear what to expect the first few days and any success stories.

Thanks

KTucke7
12-12-2011, 03:27 PM
@Proatthis Good luck and welcome! Some have adjustment problems for the first few days, but I have to say that I did not. I am a night eater and my window is 5-10 PM. I think it is important to set you window for the time you have your appetite spike, which is what you have done. I've been using Fast 5 since February of 2011 to maintain and it works like a charm! I've never found anything easier. I think if you are patient, it will work very well for that last few pounds you want to lose too.

ennay
12-12-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm still playing around with my window. My schedule is not very regular. I think my main window will be 2-7 but there are a few days I will have to do something else.

Leangains is a larger window - especially for women and I might just incorporate a main window from 2-7 and a larger buffer window. I am not going to be a stickler to the point of pain. I went to some friends for dinner the other night and it was supposed to be at 6 and by the time we actually sat down to eat it was 6:55. I didnt scarf my food in 5 minutes to make my cutoff, probably went to about 7:40 that night.

Proatthis
12-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks KTucke7

So far for my first day I feel good. I ate between 730am and 1230pm. Although I just finished reading the fast 5 and now I'm concerned about not doing the fasting All day until 5pm. The book says its important to extend the fast from the sleeping period? Any advice on this? Should I fast all day tomorrow until 5pm? or just do what I'm doing?

ennay
12-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Pro...I would keep doing what you are doing for now. I think you are unusual in that for most people later in the day is the hungry time. If it isnt working you can always change it up later. But I think fighting both narrowing your window AND changing from your normal eating time would be a challenge.

heh...if I made my window start at 5 pm it would be a 3 hour window max. I rarely stay up past about 9 and usually by 8:30 I am winding down. Of course, I get up at 4:30 or 5.

KTucke7
12-14-2011, 09:56 AM
I agree with ennay. If what you are doing works for you, it's good!

ennay
12-14-2011, 11:29 AM
yesterday I broke my fast an hour early with a very large meal but then was barely hungry for dinner. I had a huge deficit the day before...I'm actually settling into a nice pattern of longer and shorter windows on alternating days

indiblue
12-15-2011, 12:55 AM
I am an IFer but rarely post here... hi everyone! :wave:

I'm really amazed how much IF helps. I fell off the IF bandwagon for a few weeks out of laziness. I started again 100% yesterday with nothing before 1 PM except for coffee with 3 g sugar and a splash of milk.

It's insane how much easier staying on plan is when I IF. Once I take that "first bite" in the morning before I'm supposed to it opens the floodgates. I continue to nibble and graze all day and don't ever seem to get full with meals.

But if I wait and don't eat a single CRUMB until 1, I can have a healthful lunch, a small snack, and a small dinner. Yesterday's dinner was a few fries and onion rings (was out at a happy hour) but then went home and had salad, roasted cauliflower, pomegranates, and brussels sprouts. I was struggling to finish the last few bites!

Such a fan :)

LavenderDreams
12-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Hello ~

Enjoy reading everyone's posts! I've been doing Fast-5 for 2 weeks now. I did relax a little on the weekend, got right back into Monday. Haven't moved past the 3 lbs. just yet.

Some days I'm counting the seconds until the window opens, then other days I put it off several minutes later just because it's a little challenging. :smug: So far, I haven't panicked when the windows closes whether I've just eaten or not.

The week is extremely easy for me here at work. We've had some customers bring in some Christmas goodies and I just squirrel away a little bit of what I really want and save it until the windows opens. Much better than either drooling over it bemoaning I can't have any OR saying what the frig and diving in vowing to begin again tomorrow.

Love Fast-5 so far!

KTucke7
12-15-2011, 02:22 PM
@indiblue Yes, indeed! Most of my problems with dieting have been that I never get full. My two smaller meals on fast-5 fill me up and I'm actually satisfied. I think that is the key. As you said, once I eat something and open the gate my appetite gets out of hand. Strangely, it isn't like that if I stick with my schedule.

Like LavenderDreams said, if I want goodies, not a problem. I just keep it in my eating window.

ennay
12-15-2011, 03:53 PM
I am much less hungry. Even with my more flexible window. I get periods of stomach hunger but it usually goes away quickly.

I am surprised to find that I am having no loss of energy for my workouts. I ALWAYS used to tank for about 3 weeks when cutting down to even 1800 calories and I've been averaging closer to 1300-1400 and no loss of energy. I rocked a hard hard workout this morning even after yesterday

I'm also less susceptible to "I have to eat this kind of food with the proper amount of protein and carbs or I will be ravenous.".. I try to eat what is good, but I can pretty much eat any type of food within reason. (I havent pushed it with junk yet).

Yesterday I didnt get a chance to eat until about 2:30 or 3. And then I had a bowl at Chipotle. Theoretically 600 calories, but lets call it 800 because I am not thinking they measure all that accurately. STUFFED and remained stuffed the rest of the day. Couldnt have forced myself to eat more. Actually as it was I was kind of uncomfortably full for about 2 hours. I try not to do that but it was that kind of day.

I do have a dinner party Saturday that is outside my window...I havent decided how I will handle it, but I think I have much less problem with eating after the window than earlier.

KTucke7
12-15-2011, 05:26 PM
When I have something special, like an office lunch that I must attend or a family thing, I just fast until the event then don't worry about it. One of the benefits to IF is the flexibility. While it wouldn't work if you did it often, that happens with me about once every two weeks and it hasn't hurt me yet. The scales don't budge (which is fine since I'm maintaining).

ennay
12-15-2011, 06:12 PM
yeah, I wouldnt make it to fast until the party most likely. 2pm, 3pm is about as late as I have been able to handle. I still have days where noon is tough and 1 is my time. Maybe if I get more sleep saturday morning.

Proatthis
12-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Hey everyone.

Just checking in, I started IF on Monday and as of today I'm down 3 pounds. I started with my feeding being between 7am and 12pm but switched it to 1-6pm (doing a 24 hour fast in the process).

I originally though eating early was better for me because I love breakfast and eating in the morning. But I work long hours and found that I really needed to eat lunch at around 1-2. So far I love IF! it's so easy to follow. I have no problem fasting, I have energy and clarity.

I do find that I only eat once in my 5 hour window. I'm so full I can't eat after and I don't have any desire to eat before my window closes. I just feel satisfied. I'm eating pretty good with the exception of yesterday we went to 5 Guys and I had a cheeseburger and some fries. But other then that I'm eating healthy.

I have a party tomorrow as well and I think I will push my window back so I can enjoy our dinner and some wine a little later in the day.

KTucke7
12-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Sounds like you have it nailed there Proatthis. Good going! :)

ennay
12-16-2011, 04:46 PM
How long does the freezing cold part last? The only problem I am really having is that I am freezing. FREEZING all morning. Coffee, tea, I am wearing a sweater, a sweatshirt and a jacket inside my house AND am running the heat more than usual. I am about to try and fold laundry with gloves on.

It is actually hard for me to get my work done because all I want to do is take (another) hot shower or crawl in to bed with my hot bag.

This is DEFINITELY part of an IF reaction for me. I used to be hot all the time.

Woody
12-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Ennay I also wonder about body temp. I have been doing the Fast5 for about
4 months and the last 3 months I have tried to do JUDDD also but haven't
been all that good about doing that. But I notice my morning tempiture seems
to be about 97.8 and I feel a little feverish. Is this part of the IF ?

ennay
12-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Being cold is. You lose the heat produced by digestion. It IS true that eating raises your metabolism slightly which is where the eat early eat often camp got going. But not enough to compensate for how much MORE I eat. Besides if you are cold like I have been you burn calories trying to get warm. I'm not as cold today because I havent worked out yet. I usually workout at 5 am and then am FREEZING until I break fast.

ennay
12-17-2011, 08:07 PM
yeah, I wouldnt make it to fast until the party most likely. 2pm, 3pm is about as late as I have been able to handle. I still have days where noon is tough and 1 is my time. Maybe if I get more sleep saturday morning.

I made it to 4 and was starting to get shaky. Party starts at 5, but who knows if the food will be READY at 5. Broke fast with string cheese and 1/2 apple. Have plenty of party calories left.

JohnP
12-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Being cold is related to dieting, not IFing specifically.

However, during your fast period, your body will make adjustments and increase blood flow in some areas to help mobilize fat which comes at the expense of blood flow to the extremeties. Thus - it is common during the fast period for your hands and feet to be cold.

This just means IF is working.

:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

Woody
12-17-2011, 10:35 PM
On the plus side the last 4 months I have lost a little over 30lbs, my hands
don't hurt near as much ( guess I have RA ) and I have 4 skin cyst that I
have had for over 2 years that are slowely drying up. This is kind of funny
because 3 months ago I was thinking about having a dermitoligest look at
them but the way it's going they will be totaly gone in another month.

My diabetes is under better controle and one thing that I think may be helping
there is the timing of my eating window. I read an article talking about the
carcadian rythem of glucose metabolism. It seems there is a huge difference
between diabetics and non diabetics with regard to insulin sensitivity and the
time of day. In a non diabetic they handel carbs best in the morning and as the day progresses they become a little insulin resistant and by diner time realy don't handel carbs all that well. But diabetics follow the opposit patern
having a very high insulin resistance in the morning and handelng carbs better
later in the day. So for me what works best is an eating window from about
2 to 7 pm where I can handel carbs better and leaving enough time for most
of my digestion to be done before I go to bed. If I go to a later eating window
say 5pm to 10pm my morning blood sugar will be a little higher. The reason I
talked about this is my idea that chosing your best meal timing may also depend on how you handel carbs. But thinking about this sort of has me thinking that for most non diabetics the " breakfast is the most inportant meal
of the day" may realy be true.

geoblewis
12-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Woody, thanks for sharing that info. Certainly makes some sense to me about the circadean rhythms. Where did you find that article. I'd like to read it too.

Amarantha2
12-19-2011, 09:35 AM
I am still experimenting with IF in various forms (intermittant fasting patterns are not limited to just Fast Five). I am getting a lot of clarity on how longer periods between eating are benefitting my blood sugar and calorie control, although I am struggling with plateaus. Glad this thread is here because I do read it, although don't post much.

Happy Solstice and Christmas week!

Italiannie
12-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Amarantha,
I've done IF in the past with success, but I'm doing it more purposefully this time, and tracking my results better, as I'm really looking to make it a lifestyle (beyond weight loss). There are so many benefits associated with it, as I'm sure you've been reading.

I've been doing Fast-5 for the past week and am switching over to Eat Stop Eat for Week 2.

I do think there's something to be said for a full 24 hour fast, because of those extra hours of cleansing and healing, on the other hand, a few less hours of the benefit, on a daily basis may have the same long term effect.

I'm looking to see which is better for me as a lifestyle choice and I won't know that until I actually try them both out. It may take a few rounds of each and a couple of months for me to decide, either way, it's forward progress.

I think lengthier fasts on occasion also can have wonderful benefits, but I'm not there yet. One step at a time.

I do feel great, though, and have had close to a 5lb loss.

ennay
12-19-2011, 10:57 AM
John - no, I am WAY WAY colder with IF than with normal dieting, and not just my extremities, deep down cold. OTOH I sleep better.

I tried this weekend to shift later....NOT good for me. I dont sleep well if I eat close to bed time because of the heat generated. I'm going to stick to 2-7 as my main window with 11-7 on other days.

My sister has had really good results with the E-S-E method of fasting which is 24 hours M/W/F and normal eating on the remaining days. I really think like so many other things there really isnt "one best way" its what works for you

Unna
12-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Okay - I need to put my two cents in:

I'm sort of doing IF, altho my plan is flexible. I start eating between 12-2pm and stop after dinner between 7-8pm. How early I eat depends on how much exercise I have done that morning.

My results thus far:

-I no longer need naps at all. I also need less sleep than I used to at night.
-I may battle some hunger in the morning, but it is not too bad. I can typically ignore it.
-As long as I plan out lunch, I do not overeat.
-My hunger is satiated for hours with lunch. Before I would eat breakfast, lunch, and need another snack in the mid-afternoon. I no longer have that craving.
-I am FREEZING. Yes, it hurts sometimes!
-My general hunger pangs have changed completely in force and in frequency. I used to have to constantly eat little bites or tell myself no. Now I eat during my 2 scheduled meals and I really feel finished. So, it has killed my snacking monster.
-I have more mental clarity.
-My mood has been generally happy, not lethargic.

I loosely started IF because I realized I was never a breakfast person. I think breakfast, in many ways, was actually making me eat unneeded calories during the day and making me feel lethargic.

I haven't got on the scale yet since starting. I'll let you know my findings later.

The only thing is that I cannot give up my coffee in the morning - which produces unnecessary insulin spikes! EEk! I'm an addict, what can I say?

JohnP
12-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Interesting about the cold. Haven't heard of this before outside of the extremities.

Not sure what is going on there...

Amarantha2
12-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Italianne, I am tracking results on IF more purposefully also. I have had a major weight loss in the distant past and since then I track nutrition and activity religiously. I was opposed to the idea of going more than a few hours without food for a long, long time because I had indeed lost weight by eating every few hours and always eating breakfast because the establishment told me to lol.

I have never gone 24 hours but am maybe working up to it. Am still very "iffy" no IF pun intended.

Re cold, I used to be much heavier and I also lived in a colder climate (I am in central AZ). Since moving here and losing weight, both of which happened more than a decade and a half ago, I find I gradually felt colder and colder at higher and higher temps, but that is common for people who move to AZ and live here through the double digit summers and winters both. Having less bodyfat also contributed to that.

Not eating for longer periods as I have been doing seems to have the effect of making me feel warmer.

Woody
12-19-2011, 09:52 PM
I saw a little study where the subjects reduced there calories 25%. One
group ate 75% of there normal calories 7 days a week. The other group
ate there regular calories 5 days a week but only 35% of normal calories
2 days a week. Both groups lost weigth but those using the 2 DD's per week
lost more weight. It wasn't as fast as realy sticking to the JUDDD alternet
day plan but at least it pointed out that if you miss a couple of DD's you
realy haven't blown the diet you just won't lose as much that week. I would
have posted the link but am to new here to do that.

indiblue
12-20-2011, 12:27 AM
So, I'm starting NROLW today. I already lift moderately heavy for a female, looking forward to kicking it up a notch.

I'm conflicted because the diet plan proscribed says one of the inviolable rules is MUST EAT BREAKFAST. And, that we must eat 4-5x a day.

I'm probably going to opt-out of this requirement.... at least on non-WO days. On WO days I'll at the very least do a protein shake after the morning lift. Thoughts?

ennay
12-20-2011, 01:30 AM
I'm probably going to opt-out of this requirement.... at least on non-WO days. On WO days I'll at the very least do a protein shake after the morning lift. Thoughts?

I think if IF is working for you then experiment first with NOT changing your window. Then you will have good data on how you feel you are recovering between workouts. I workout often and I workout hard and I am finding the timing of food really doesnt affect it that much. Maybe my protein synthesis is a little suboptimal. It still seems to be getting there.

If after a few weeks you want to make a change then try and see if you think it helps.

JohnP
12-20-2011, 01:59 AM
So, I'm starting NROLW today. I already lift moderately heavy for a female, looking forward to kicking it up a notch.

I'm conflicted because the diet plan proscribed says one of the inviolable rules is MUST EAT BREAKFAST. And, that we must eat 4-5x a day.

I have some thoughts. :D

You don't need to eat 4-5 times a day.

NROL workouts are not bad but they don't nearly live up to the self hype. Depending on your goals there might be better workout plans.

After heavy lifting you should eat 1-2 hours after working out unless you're only trying to maintain the muscle you have in which case it probably doesn't matter.

indiblue
12-20-2011, 02:08 AM
YAY, JohnP! I was hoping you would have some thoughts!! :D

I'm looking to build muscle. I'm pretty much at maintenance, though hoping some fat loss will happen.

I may time my workouts at around 1 PM- eat on an empty stomach, then follow with a protein shake. Like ennay said, will play around and see what happens.

What are your reservations about NROL? I'm using it to provide structure and ramped up intensity to my present routine, which already includes most of the lifts in NR, at least the ones in the beginning stages. Hopefully a gateway to more advanced programs.

KTucke7
12-20-2011, 10:24 AM
@ennay I've experienced the cold thing too, and a lot of people on leangains.com remark on it too. I've been doing Fast-5 for almost a year now and I have to say either I've adjusted to the new temp or my body adjusted to the woe. I don't notice it anymore.

JohnP
12-20-2011, 01:07 PM
YAY, JohnP! I was hoping you would have some thoughts!! :D

I'm looking to build muscle. I'm pretty much at maintenance, though hoping some fat loss will happen.

I may time my workouts at around 1 PM- eat on an empty stomach, then follow with a protein shake. Like ennay said, will play around and see what happens.

What are your reservations about NROL? I'm using it to provide structure and ramped up intensity to my present routine, which already includes most of the lifts in NR, at least the ones in the beginning stages. Hopefully a gateway to more advanced programs.

I don't have any reservations about NROL. As far as a general weight lifting program it's pretty good. The only "problem" if you will is because it is well rounded it doesn't excell in any one specific area.

For your goals, you can't build muscle and lose fat with NROL unless you're a beginner and overweight. The only programs I am aware of that accomplish the holy grail of drug free fat loss and muscle gain are UD2.0 and the "Leangains" method.

If you want to do NROL you can cycle calories a bit around workouts and maybe see a little bit of body recomposition.

Bottom line though if you want to put on muscle you should eat after you workout and furthermore if you're lifting fasted you should consume 10g of BCAAs before you lift.

shr1nk1ngme
12-20-2011, 04:39 PM
I was on a low-carb, very low calorie plan and I had great success for several months. But then I hit a wall!

I have since added JUDDD to my Atkins pre-maintenance plan. JUDDD is similar to IF in that it is a calorie cycling program which includes alternate days of near-fasting. I have to say that after a long time on very-low-calorie and low-carb, plus a plateau, JUDDD was a breath of fresh air.

I have been able to increase my overall calories and carbs, add more physical activity to my life (since I am now actually eating enough to support an exercise program), and I have started losing weight again. I am almost at goal and I am considering making a moderately low-carb JUDDD plan my permanent way of eating for maintenance. It has certainly reactivated my metabolism.

JohnP
12-20-2011, 11:07 PM
I got a really cool phone call today.

An older gentlemen I had spoken to about a month ago about intermittent fasting decided to give it a try. A month into it his blood sugar has become much more regular and he is down 7 lbs.

He says it is the easiest diet he has ever followed. Took him about 2 weeks to adjust and since then never gets hungry before noon. He is following a 16/8 fasting/eating period.

Unna
12-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Yeah -I'm not an old hat yet, but I'm very happy with my version of IF (eat 12-8pm, usually ends up being 2 meals, no snacks). I feel like my hormones have stabilized, making calorie restriction not a problem.

When I was doing breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I felt like I could barely make 1700-1800 a day because hormones would cue me to eat late afternoon and in the evening after dinner.

I agree, waiting until 12pm to eat has become much easier.

It just makes my day of eating less-stressful = in general I have less worries about staying within my calorie range.

Italiannie
12-21-2011, 08:06 AM
I restarted with IF last week. Started with Fast - 5 and lost 4.3lbs (not bad considering it is the holidays). This week I wanted to try Eat Stop Eat, so I started yesterday. ESE will give me the flexibility I'll need this week. I will use my fasting days as bookends to the holiday weekend.

I did find Fast -5 worked great for me, I'm never hungry before 1pm anyway, so it's just stretching a bit until my eating window opens. Helps me to acknowledge real hunger and also helps to recognize which foods don't make me feel very well.

I did promise myself that I would try at least these two types of IF to see what would be best for me long term. May take a couple of rounds or I may always combine them. Who knows. Great to be in control of what I do.
Have a great day, everyone.

LavenderDreams
12-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Hi all, just checking in. And feeling much colder after reading some of the threads! :dizzy:

Today marks 3 weeks on Fast-5. When I weighed on Saturday, I'd lost another pound making 4 lbs. gone. So far, I am still really pleased with this WOE. No guilt trips, no point allowances, etc.

Window is still typically 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. If I find I'm a little hungrier than usual, I'll open it a little earlier. No ill effects from working out, although I do work out when the window is open. Any hunger isn't bad at all and seems to dissipate after a few minutes.

So far, so good!!

guacamole
12-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Hello, IFers! I have been doing some reading on IF and have decided to give it a try. I am trying to get into the 160s and am having trouble. I am hoping that intermittent fasting will jump start me. Yesterday I ate between 12pm-7pm. Today I also started eating around 12pm and we will see how it goes. I already had dinner, and am not hungry for a snack. I do get very hungry about 10am, but I know that if I start eating at that time, I will have to end eating earlier, and I also get very hungry around 3:30-4:30pm. So, I have been pushing off eating my first meal until around noon. I drink tea and water until then. So far, the mornings have been my only trouble spot.

At this point, I can't see IF as being sustainable for me long-term. However, it's too soon to judge, so we shall see. I weigh in on Fridays, so it will be interesting to see if there has been a change in my weight.

Good luck, everyone!

ennay
12-21-2011, 07:53 PM
May I suggest if the hunger is becoming a distraction in the morning taking a brief walk. A workout is better, but I am assuming you are probably at work at 10 am and dont have the freedom to do a real workout. I find it holds off the hunger quite well.

Weight loss initially in IF may not happen. It is possible when you first shrink the window to struggle a bit with keeping your calories lower.

JohnP
12-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Wow you've been IFing for all of one day and you don't see it as sustainable? :D

Give it 2 weeks minimum. After a month you won't be hungry before noon.

Then again, IF is not for everyone so it might not work for you.

As for weight loss - everyone must remember that IF does nothing to alter the energy equation. Calories still matter.

Woody
12-21-2011, 09:42 PM
I have been reading the Alternet Day Diet by Dr. Johnson. He makes a point
that going 36 hours without food triggers some changes that don't happen with just a 20 hour fast. And I do seem to do a whole lot better when I do
his program than when I am just doing a 19 to 20 hour fast each day.

indiblue
12-22-2011, 03:24 AM
guac I get a bit hungry around 10:30 AM. That's when I have a cup of coffee with a splash of milk and 4g sugar. The warmth and slightly sweet taste tricks me into thinking I'm having a snack. I'm usually set until 1 or so by that point. If you're a coffee drinker maybe that will help?

EDIT JohnP, thanks for the advice a few posts ago!

Unna
12-22-2011, 06:20 AM
Similar to ennay and indiblue, I also do a morning workout and then, around 10:30am, drink my second cup of coffee for the day. It holds me over awhile until 12pm or so. Also, I wake up around 6am everyday - so I have a pretty long time to work through. Pure water also helps immensely.

I know it may sound like I'm jumping the gun - I haven't been doing this longer than 2 weeks - but in that short period of time, I really feel my mood, energy, health, has stabilized.

Seems silly because how could simply not eating for a longer period of time have this effect? I dunno - it does influence my hormones.... that I am absolutely positive of. I hope it is sustainable!

Italiannie
12-22-2011, 08:46 AM
I also have found that moving, and having that cup of coffee/beverage really make a huge difference. Whether's its the distraction or getting your heart pumping, I don't know, but it works. Also playing with the eating window until it works is important, especially if you're someone who is a grazer. I never ate in the morning, so late afternoons, before my window opens, have been my challenge, so that coffee and exercise are just the ticket. (I usually grab my dogs and head for a romp in the fields - I have the privilege of working at home)

Unna, I don't think you're jumping the gun. You're having great results and no one makes it in the long run without working out the challenges early on. I'm only a little ways in and already feel much better, and am learning how to handle hurdles. That's why we're all here.

I do find this simpler, more flexible and more natural than anything else so far. Have had success with it in the past, hoping to make it more permanent this time. While I am thinking quite a bit about the results and the process, I'm definitely not thinking that much about food. That, in and of itself, is a huge step forward for me.

guacamole
12-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Still here, and it's 10:30am and I am eating a yogurt. The hunger just got to be too much. The problem is, I don't know if I will be able to completely stop eating by 4 or 5pm, when the family is eating dinner at 5:30-6:00pm.

Also, I am going out of town for a weekend retreat where they serve meals at set times 3x per day - well, actually 4x if you count their late night snacks/desserts. I can skip the snacks, but the meals are a different story. I don't like all of the food they serve, so I don't eat much at any given meal - I eat a moderate amount at each meal. If I skip one of the meals in order to eat within a window, I surely will be starving and indulge in the 4th late night meal junk food fest! So, I think I will stop trying IF until I return to my normally scheduled programming.

To be clear, I am still eating on my food plan, it is just a question of when I eat.

ennay
12-22-2011, 01:24 PM
I never try to not eat dinner with the family (except on my yoga nights because yoga on a full stomach is **** on earth). My window is arranged around my family dinner. If I was single my window would be 12-5.

10:30-6:30 is an 8 hour window which is the window leangains recommends for women. Not saying its the right window, just saying it is a variation that is often done.

If you want to do a shorter window, some people can do it cold turkey, other people work their way into it. So it is 10:30 today. Tomorrow make it later. Nothing says you have to go straight to 5 hours.

Personally I have 2 windows. The 5 hour window of 2-7 and the longer window of 11-7 (which may mean 12-7 or 1 - 7 or 1:30 -7). Most days I do 2-7. Some days I dont - either because the hunger is not going away with other methods or because I have a lunch date. But I dont cut off my evening eating early because of it. (except on yoga days which is either 2-5 or 12-5)

Family dinner that I prepare is sacred. To skip that WOULD be unsustainable. And also would not be healthy for my family because I know on nights I am not eating with them I am more likely to just toss together something simple that they like. Pizza anyone?

Are you eating more at the meals you are eating or are you merely trying to drop a meal? Initially ADD calories to your other meals. Make the transition to time frame first. One of the things I like about IF is I really really really DO like the sensation of being full, not just "satisfied" no matter how many times people said I wasnt supposed to. I love that my lunch now is BIG. Somedays I have 1000 calories for lunch. I like it! No more 300 calorie meals.

MTA: and when you break your fast, BREAK your fast. Dont nibble something small to tide you over to "meal time". Eat the meal you would have eaten at the time you intended to eat. The whole MEAL.

Italiannie
12-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Ennay, I agree completely. The reason I love Intermittent Fasting is because it works with my lifestyle. I'm a foodie and a cook and what I enjoy about this is that I get to eat a wonderful meal with my family.

Guacamole, you may need to play with your eating window, or perhaps try something like Eat-stop-Eat instead of Fast 5.

I'm trying each of them to see which one works best for me. This is supposed to make things easier for you, not more difficult (once you get through the tummy rumbles, and get used to it).

indiblue
12-28-2011, 12:59 AM
Checking in after a couple weeks of NROLW.

I'm IFing on most days. I overate a few days in a row around Christmas and didn't open my window yesterday until almost 3 PM. I just wasn't hungry after all that food.

But today, after a lifting session last night at 5 PM and lower calories yesterday, I woke up starving. Not hunger pains, but an intense crying out for food. Thanks to IF, I was able to distinguish between the body's craving fuel versus slight hunger. I listened to my body and had a glass of milk and half a banana at 8:30 AM. It's now 10:30 AM and I'm about to eat some eggs.

It's interesting. I could run 1+ hour early mornings with almost nothing in my stomach except for 150 cals of banana and pb and not be hungry until 1 PM. But lifting last night and consuming 1400 calories yesterday left me genuinely craving fuel this morning.

I'm trying to time my weekly calories so I eat less on non-WO days and more on WO days. I've allowed myself to get off-schedule due to the holidays, which made me less hungry yesterday and starving this morning. Anyway, I'm aiming to time it better starting today so I can keep up IF.

Italiannie
12-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Indiblue - Sounds like you're making great strides. You may prefer the Eat Stop Eat method to the daily window. You still get to eat every day, but on your non fasting days you can eat what you want when you want it, so if you were to keep these days light and healthy, it would not interfere with your work-outs. Worth a try for a week or two. You will notice that you will continue to tell the difference between real hunger and slight hunger.
Worth a try. I'm still playing with both ways until I settle into something that will be more permanent.

The beauty of IF is that it can be tailored to an individual's wants and needs.

CupofTea
12-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Hi everyone.

I have just joined Three Fat Chicks after finding this thread on intermittent fasting through google. A couple of years ago I lost 26kg through calorie counting and exercise but have started to gain the weight back (about 8kg so far). I can't seem to go back to calorie counting for some reason (there is a mental block there) so I started googling other options for me.

I am trying the two 24hour fasting periods a week. I am hoping it will allow me to control my food as opposed to it controlling me (and allowing me to understand when i am hungry compared to bored/stressed etc which feels like hungry to me).

Looking forward to sharing and learning from the journey of others in this thread.

indiblue
12-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Italianne thanks for the tip about ESE! I'm only used to daily fasting, which I enjoy, but has been difficult if I don't time my low-calorie days correctly. Do your 24-hour fasts occur on the same days each week? Or does it vary? I have yet to try a 24-hour fast, but I'd like to. I work from home so it would admittedly be easier to do than if I was in an office, surrounded by food, having to explain why I'm not eating lunch, etc.

Thanks again for pointing me in this direction. I'll read up a little more about ESE :)

JohnP
12-29-2011, 05:29 AM
But today, after a lifting session last night at 5 PM and lower calories yesterday, I woke up starving. Not hunger pains, but an intense crying out for food. Thanks to IF, I was able to distinguish between the body's craving fuel versus slight hunger. I listened to my body and had a glass of milk and half a banana at 8:30 AM. It's now 10:30 AM and I'm about to eat some eggs.

It's interesting. I could run 1+ hour early mornings with almost nothing in my stomach except for 150 cals of banana and pb and not be hungry until 1 PM. But lifting last night and consuming 1400 calories yesterday left me genuinely craving fuel this morning.

This is fairly predictable result. I'd suggest again you look into the leangains method for working out based upon your goals. NROL is too high of volume and when you combine volume + intensity you will need fuel. High intensity and low volume are better for your stated recomp goals. It is possible for a short period you could get a bit of recomp with NROL and eating close to maintinence calories but the bottom line is that losing fat and gaining muscle are two competeing biological processes.

Leangains method and Ultimate Diet 2.0 are the only two programs I know of that will do what you want.

I don't see how Eat Stop Eat will change anything.

Italiannie
12-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Indiblue - You should definitely try different things, especially if you have training goals. It seemed to me that you wanted to increase your calories on work-out days, which is why I suggested Eat Stop Eat. I'm not a "work-out" expert, nor do I "train" so I don't worry about pre-work out/ post work-out stuff. I also find that "programs" and schedules don't work for me, but that's just me. What I love about IF is the flexibility.

I'm trying to get thinner, and IF has worked beautifully for me in the past. My goal is to make it a permanent change, so I'm checking out what is sustainable for me.

Look into all the programs, and you will not only find one that works for your training goals, but one that you will be able to live with. Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

indiblue
12-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Leangains is what I'm doing now, and have been since April. My window is from 1 PM- 8PM. I'm lifting around 5 PM each day.

I'm really working to educate myself more on the fat/muscle processes. I misstated my goals earlier: it's to reduce body fat, so I'm eating at a deficit (though aiming for .8g protein/1lb bw). I'm *generally* hitting 1400 on NWO days and 1600 on WO days. Though I lifted again this evening and am not hungry at all tonight after 1300. If I'm very hungry tomorrow morning well before my window opens, I'll eat.

Honestly a lot of this is trial and error for me right now. NROLW may not get me where I want to be in terms of body recomp, we'll see. The health/strength rewards will be sufficient to make it worthwhile. I can reassess if I'm not meeting other goals.

Sorry I'm kind of hijacking this thread... hope this is somewhat worthwhile to others who are in similar positions. It definitely is helpful to me, so many thanks :)

Callahan
12-29-2011, 01:27 PM
I've been playing around with IF a bit the past few days, and it's going well so far. When I lift, I lift heavy, but I'm much more focused on distance running. Is this a recipe for badness or disaster?

Lyla
12-29-2011, 01:41 PM
I am a natural IF'er. Developed it in college when i was at my lowest weight ever in my adult life (130). I didn't know at that time the name of this, but it worked wonderfully.

Now i go and come from it cause sometimes i'm just too hungry in the morning, so i keep 2-3 weeks eating 6x/day. Normally my eating window is 4 hours, i eat from 4pm - 8pm. or 5pm - 9pm. I do eat all my calories in no more than 2 meals.

I lift weights, heavy ... but i don't want to build more mucle, i was doing so during the last 2 years, i was so worried about my lean mass .. but after my bf% check, i found that my lean mass is more than the total weight i want to have, so i try to preserve as much as i can, but not worried to lose like 15 or 20 pounds of muscle.

JohnP
12-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Leangains is what I'm doing now, and have been since April. My window is from 1 PM- 8PM. I'm lifting around 5 PM each day.

I'm really working to educate myself more on the fat/muscle processes. I misstated my goals earlier: it's to reduce body fat, so I'm eating at a deficit (though aiming for .8g protein/1lb bw). I'm *generally* hitting 1400 on NWO days and 1600 on WO days. Though I lifted again this evening and am not hungry at all tonight after 1300. If I'm very hungry tomorrow morning well before my window opens, I'll eat.

Honestly a lot of this is trial and error for me right now. NROLW may not get me where I want to be in terms of body recomp, we'll see. The health/strength rewards will be sufficient to make it worthwhile. I can reassess if I'm not meeting other goals.

Sorry I'm kind of hijacking this thread... hope this is somewhat worthwhile to others who are in similar positions. It definitely is helpful to me, so many thanks :)

I think it is extremely worthwhile to others.

What I meant was the leangains style of LIFTING. Here is the basic idea:

High intensity (heavy weights) and low volume is the best way to maintain your muscle and keep things in check diet wise.

If you just want to maintain your muscle and shed some fat than eating at a deficit every day is fine. If you want to add in a few more calories on a lifting day you can but it is not necessary. The key is to lose weight slowly and lift heavy (but with low volume). [EDIT] - I mean specifically for you - since you don't have a lot of fat to lose and you've been training for some time. For someone else reading this with a lot of weight to lose who is new to training things are totally different.

NROL is not high volume but it is not low volume either. Again I don't think it's a big deal for you at this point but the lower your body fat gets the more difficult it will be to keep up the intensity of the NROL workouts and the harder you push to maintain them the more you'll increase cortisol and ultimately you'll lose muscle along with fat.

I'd suggest reading this article. (http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html)

ennay
12-29-2011, 05:42 PM
I've been playing around with IF a bit the past few days, and it's going well so far. When I lift, I lift heavy, but I'm much more focused on distance running. Is this a recipe for badness or disaster?

I'm a distance runner, although my distances have been kinda short lately, but I have not had it negatively affect my running. I actually have my hardest runs in my most fasted state (the morning after my shortest window days) and have had no problem. I did have one longer run struggle, but I honestly dont know if it was related to IF or the fact that I decided to run 10 miles in an area where you pretty much are going up seriously steep hills over and over and over and over on legs that were pretty tired already. I'm pretty sure I would have burned out anyway and when I came out of the hills I was able to keep a reasonable pace home so I dont think it was a bonk, just DONE.

There has been some good stuff on fasted marathon training. Some of the benefits on training the body to transition to fat burning at higher efforts and with less noticeable transition (i.e. fatigue rather than BONK).

I havent decided what I will do on race day, probably I will fuel for the races and go back to IF the day after. I dont have any really long races for several months though.

MTA: Once I get back to really long runs I will probably carry emergency carbs just in case, but I normally dont fuel midrun before 16-18 miles anyway so it will be more a matter of what i eat the night before I think

indiblue
12-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Callahan What distances are you running? I'm not a distance runner like ennay... not at all :) I was able to run up to 45-55 minutes in a fasted state without any problem. When I got closer to 1 hour or more I always ate 150 calories (peanut butter and banana) before running. Not sure if it was psychological or not but I can tell a difference in my 10ks when I eat something small versus when I run in a fasted state.

John thanks for the article. If I understand Lyle correctly, he would advocate doing high volume days of NROL (which are usually the first few workouts of each "stage")-- what he would deem as metabolic weight training-- with 2 sets of lower volume/high intensity heavy sets preceding it. The lower volume/higher intensity NROL WOs (the later parts of each stage) could be done on their own. Is that the takeaway?

JohnP
12-30-2011, 01:45 PM
John thanks for the article. If I understand Lyle correctly, he would advocate doing high volume days of NROL (which are usually the first few workouts of each "stage")-- what he would deem as metabolic weight training-- with 2 sets of lower volume/high intensity heavy sets preceding it. The lower volume/higher intensity NROL WOs (the later parts of each stage) could be done on their own. Is that the takeaway?

Sort of. He would say that if you want to do metabolic workouts you also need to do heavy (intense) lifting.

The main benefit of metabolic workout is the higher calorie burn and burning off glycogen to promote fat oxidation.

Intermittent fasting essentially takes care of the glycogen burn off - so you could skip metabolic workouts all together if you want.

Most people need fuel to keep up the intensity of a higher volume workout thus why your hunger was predictible.

In my opinion you're better off using your diet to create the deficit and sticking with lower volume high intensity routines but some people enjoy the higher volume type of workouts - but I would suggest more calories on these days to prevent muscle catabolism.

The above is making it more complicated than it needs to be. The take away for me would simply be that if you don't want to lose muscle you need to keep the weights on the bar. If your lifts are going up or staying the same you're not losing muscle.

ennay
12-30-2011, 01:56 PM
I just have to say I have never experienced significant muscle catabolism even when losing 60 lbs with only running and occasional yoga as my exercise. I actually ended up with 2-3 lbs more lean mass. I will grant that some of the increase I saw in lean body mass during that time may have been my muscles increasing blood and glycogen storage capacity and not tissue.

JohnP
12-30-2011, 10:56 PM
I just have to say I have never experienced significant muscle catabolism even when losing 60 lbs with only running and occasional yoga as my exercise. I actually ended up with 2-3 lbs more lean mass. I will grant that some of the increase I saw in lean body mass during that time may have been my muscles increasing blood and glycogen storage capacity and not tissue.

There are a myriad of factors but primaryly with adequate protein you're not going to have a lot of muscle loss (or any) if you don't have a lot of muscle in the first place, until you get quite lean. By lean I mean under 15% for men and under 20% for women is where you start fighting hormones.

In your case - if you didn't have muscle loss you must have dieted intelligently, plus you worked your leg muscles so you kept them. Your upper body didn't have a lot of muscle (I assume), so not a lot to lose. Then of course there is the question of how your body fat was measured. Short of a dexa scan every measurement method has a fairly large margin of error.

In the case of Indiblue she has been working out for a while as I understand it so she probably has more muscle to lose plus while I haven't seen any pictures of her naked I have to assume at her height and weight she is approaching the 20% BF mark at which point it becomes a bit more difficult to lose fat while retaining all your muscle.

indiblue
12-31-2011, 09:26 AM
The above is making it more complicated than it needs to be. The take away for me would simply be that if you don't want to lose muscle you need to keep the weights on the bar. If your lifts are going up or staying the same you're not losing muscle.

Agreed! .

ennay
12-31-2011, 11:09 AM
I have a fair bit of upper body mass..I am not built like a runner AT ALL. And it comes on fast when I train. If I had any desire for it I would be better off picking lifting as my target sport. But yeah I think I got down to maybe 19% bodyfat at the lowest point.

And - sorry - when you said something about longer sessions....there are a few people on 3FC who have repeatedly claimed proof that the very act of marathon training catabolizes muscle and I'm a bit sensitive to it.

Although protein is one of my concerns with IF. I am really having a harder time getting as much as I used to . There is just only so much meat I want to eat at one sitting and I cant eat eggs. I use protein shakes from time to time but I'm not really hungry enough to want to add calories right now.

Right now it isnt really an issue I dont think. I'm doing enough to maintain mass I think and frankly I could handle it if I lost a few lbs of muscle right now, although I dont see that happening. I wont be in a build phase until later in the year.

Proatthis
01-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Hi everyone.

I started IF a couple of weeks ago with some nice results. I wasn't really following it with the holidays but today I started back. This week I'm going to try eat stop eat to see how it fits fo me. I just downloaded the ebook but haven't read it yet.

I'm just curious as to what type of workouts I should do? I am normally very active and an avide gym goer except for the last few months ( I basically stopped doing any typ of workouts since September ).
I don't have a gym membership just some hand weights. And I was going to get back into running. Any suggestions?

JohnP
01-03-2012, 12:48 AM
Any suggestions?

The best exercise is one you enjoy or at least don't hate so you do it on a regular basis.

ennay
01-03-2012, 01:02 PM
The best exercise is one you enjoy or at least don't hate so you do it on a regular basis.

AMEN

ddc
01-03-2012, 03:10 PM

And one that doesn't hurt you :D

ennay
01-03-2012, 03:34 PM
And one that doesn't hurt you :D

meh....that's debatable

Worst pulled muscle I've had in the last couple years I got while SLEEPING. Seriously. I rolled over funny and pulled my serratus anterior and couldnt do anything for almost a week and couldnt lift heavy for a month.

ddc
01-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Well, I was thinking along the lines of: don't pick running if you have bad knees, bad hips, bad back, etc.....depending on your particular situation.

ennay
01-03-2012, 05:08 PM
I have bad knees and a bad back.. running has helped them both. I say dont live in fear. "They" say eating twice a day is bad for you.

ennay
01-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Has anyone had trouble eating enough ? I am stuffed from lunch which wasnt all that big (large bowl of split pea soup with lots of ham, tortilla chips and an apple). Not just not hungry, repulsed by food stuffed.

Only problem is yesterday was a low cal day too both days < 1000 and I have an enormous burn for the last 2 days. That usually comes back to bite me either in a workout or more likely a binge.

God this is so weird. I'm usually the person who cant FATHOM surviving on under 2K calories.

I have a race on Saturday so I need to be able to fuel up a little bit by this weekend. Thursday should be my fuel day, I may need to try and open up the window if it doesnt force itself upon me tomorrow.

I'm going to keep the window open a little longer tonight. I really need the protein.

indiblue
01-03-2012, 11:35 PM
I don't think anyone would argue in favor of exercise that you know will harm you. If running helps bad knees then that's not harming you. If kickboxing exacerbates pain and deterioration of a hip joint (like it does for me) then it's probably wise to avoid it.

Anyway, Proatthis if you've been active and going to the gym for a long time then you know what to do. Strength training a few times a week and a bit of cardio (even just walking) on most days. IF doesn't call for any sort of special exercise regimen. :)

ennay
01-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Yes, of course, if you know for sure. And that it cant be worked around if it is your passion

But...15 years ago when my first back injury occurred (just above the coccyx ) I was told what was then standard care at the time. NO impact exercises ever again. Very limited exercises. Limited range of motion. etc. Wear back support. All stuff that is NOW considered erroneous and they know you need to move it to heal.

Same with my knee, I was in a car accident in 7th grade and told the cartilage in my knee was too damaged to ever allow impact exercise.

Both back and knee are strengthened by building up the supporting muscles, not by letting them erode.

Arthritic knees up until recently were a sure fire "dont run" diagnosis. Now....not so much. I know several ultra runners who got in to running and found it improved their arthritis so much they dont dare stop.

So I have a tendency to take "you shouldnt do X" because of an injury with a grain of salt and a personal experiment of 1. My last back injury (L4/L5 - stupid icy stairs) I was told no yoga, no rowing and no (serious) cycling because of the forward bending. And yet both yoga and rowing have been key in my recovery (I hate cycling anyway). I faffed around with PT for my back for 18 months before deciding to listen to my gut and in 6 weeks I made strides I hadnt made in over a year. My PT goes to my gym and winced every morning he saw me row.

I have injured myself running. I will probably do so again. But it is my passion and frankly less injurious than the alternative depression. I do have to do things other runners dont. I have exercises I will do for life as support for my injured areas. Which means a minimum of Xtraining that other runners dont deal with.

I'm just saying if it is your passion. If it is what will keep you DOING than in most cases there is a way, and if there isnt make sure the reason isnt just an excuse, or "they say".

ddc
01-04-2012, 07:49 PM
It's great that you were able to continue your passion.
When my PT told me no more high impact exercise--I was thrilled!!!

indiblue
01-05-2012, 01:59 AM
Cool story, ennay! Awesome you were able to heal yourself with running.

One of the things I've realized recently I love about IF is how it can quickly restore me after a very off-plan day. I've had times where I eat way too much food, way too much sodium, or a lot of processed junk that really messes me up the next morning.

Without IF I would eat breakfast normally, though I wasn't hungry, and probably continue on a salty, carby snacky day triggered from the night before.

Instead, I sip water and a cup of coffee throughout the morning, get rid of some bloat, get distance from my cravings, and eat when I'm genuinely hungry late in the afternoon. Love it.

JohnP
01-05-2012, 03:26 AM
Has anyone had trouble eating enough ?

I wish. I have heard of others that have this "problem".

ennay
01-05-2012, 11:36 AM
I wish. I have heard of others that have this "problem".

Yeah, it's never happened to me before in my life. Ever. My usual set point for satiety is 2700 calories of healthy food - regardless of whether I exercise or not.

But I did end up with a binge last night.

I am thinking I need to make split pea soup more often. Stuff is FILLING.

Callahan
01-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Callahan What distances are you running? I'm not a distance runner like ennay... not at all :) I was able to run up to 45-55 minutes in a fasted state without any problem. When I got closer to 1 hour or more I always ate 150 calories (peanut butter and banana) before running. Not sure if it was psychological or not but I can tell a difference in my 10ks when I eat something small versus when I run in a fasted state.

Training for a couple of half marathons right now. Typical runs are 4-7 miles, one longer run a week, goal is to run 5 days a week. I think if I run first thing in the morning, fasted running is ok. I'm on school vacation now (just for another few days :( ) and that means I'm running close to the end of my fasting period after tinkering around the house for a few hours.

ennay
01-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Callahan, I've been doing a lot of doubles lately - 3 ish miles at ~5 am and then a 3-7 mile run around 11 or 12. All fasted. I played around with my second run being either before or after breaking the fast and I actually do much better with them both being before. Mostly because I really like my first meal to be BIG. I've had a couple times the schedule didnt work and I did my second run at 6 pm or so and that also worked ok. Ate at 2ish and then made sure I was done eating by 4:30. But night running messes with my sleep.

I honestly think that once you adjust to IF, you'll have no problems with runs up to at least 90 minutes. Beyond that it depends on what kind of intensity you are trying to hold on the long run. OTOH if you are struggling in a training run that is SUPPOSED to be easy (i.e. not a tempo/interval session) it is probably a good sign that you are running the easy runs too fast anyway. Easy runs should be in the fat burning zone.

graterandy
01-06-2012, 11:09 AM
hi IFers! been awhile...

so it's officially skiing season. Normally, I would never do that much cardio, but I love it so I don't care. I have to get up pretty early to go (6 AM-ish, on a weekend blegh) and don't get home till 3 or 4. My eating window is from 12-6 PM so I don't normally eat before getting on the slopes. I do feel weaker while skiing than I did in my pre-IF days. It's a lot of work, I burn 600-800 extra calories that day.
Think I should just forget fasting, have breakfast and go? Or pack a decent snack for a late-morning ski break? So far i've just had a protein bar (130 calories, 11 grams of protein) and a coffee, which just isn't cutting it. I need energy for this!

ennay
01-06-2012, 11:41 AM
I've been wondering what I'll do with skiing. Running doesnt make me hungry but skiing famishes me.

When do you start to feel it? Have you been eating lunch at noon on the slopes? If it isnt cutting it I would say eat breakfast. When you are working that hard the insulin response is mitigated anyway and you should be able to get back into IF the next day.

guacamole
01-06-2012, 11:49 AM
ennay - could you post your split pea soup recipe? I have a bag of split peas in my cupboard, and I am not sure what to do with them! :)

graterandy
01-06-2012, 12:19 PM
I've been wondering what I'll do with skiing. Running doesnt make me hungry but skiing famishes me.

When do you start to feel it? Have you been eating lunch at noon on the slopes? If it isnt cutting it I would say eat breakfast. When you are working that hard the insulin response is mitigated anyway and you should be able to get back into IF the next day.

I don't eat any actual meals while skiing. I waste no time, while everyone else is digging into a 20-euro plate of spaghetti. I just have a snack and short break around 11:30.

It's not bad for the first hour or so, after that I get pretty tired and cold. In previous winters I never felt cold. I pretty much want to quit all the slaloming, jumping, and off-slope fun by midday and just slide lazily down. I think I will have breakfast. I love a hot bowl of oatmeal in the morning anyway.

ennay
01-06-2012, 12:43 PM
The people I ski with are pretty into lunch, but we usually eat around 1 so....

I dont ski often and my legs are pretty toast after lunch anyway, part of me would rather ski through and then knock off early

guac

2 stalks celery chopped*
2 carrots chopped
1 med onion chopped
1 clove garlic minced
1-2T olive oil, butter or bacon grease
1 meaty ham bone
1 lb split peas
1T dried thyme
4 bay leaves
~6 cups water

- ham cut from bone - diced into bite size pieces

* how finely you chop the veggies depends on if you plan on pureeing the soup or leaving soup chunky. If you are leaving it chunky chop fairly finely <1/2 inch pieces. If you are going to puree later just rough chop.

Saute carrots, onions and celery in fat over medium-high heat until starting to soften and aromatic ~ 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 additional minute. Place ham bone in the center of the veggie pile and add water, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to boil, add peas, reduce heat to maintain simmer, cover and simmer for 1-1.5 hour stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves, puree if desired and add chopped ham. Heat briefly to warm ham through.

For vegetarian split pea, omit ham and ham bone and use veggie broth or double carrots and celery and add 1T italian seasoning. If you arent veggie but dont have a ham or dont want to use ham, chicken broth will give more flavor than plain water.

At the end you may need to add additional water to thin depending on how you like your soup.

mta - it is best to use a fairly heavy pot as peas tend to stick on hotspots

guacamole
01-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the recipe!! Sounds yummy and filling!

LavenderDreams
01-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Hey all, Happy New Year!

Have no idea why I'm posting as I'm going to wait until next Wednesday to weigh in. I'd lost 4 lbs. before the holidays and although I kept to my eating window, I relaxed it a bit on those days.

Felt absolutely glorious not to feel guilty about enjoying what I ate and noticed I didn't eat as much as I normally would. Due in part to knowing I could and keeping pretty much to my workouts, which is Curves and their Zumba workouts (apart from the machines). Love it!

My window is still mainly 3 p.m. - 8 p.m., but if it needs adjusted on occasion, so be it. I usually have a couple cups of coffee (morning and afternoon) before my window opens, both with cream and Splenda. Neither of which seem to affect the weight loss I was beginning to see.

Have a good afternoon!

ennay
01-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Oooooh this is weird. I'm racing today so I am eating breakfast. I'm kind of having to force it. Odd feeling

Aunt Sheshie
01-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Howdy y'all!.. I haven't been here in quite a while & am thrilled to see so much activity in the past month... as for IFing, I put it on hold a couple of months ago, & wish now I hadn't done that... so, I'm back with a vengeance... today is day 3... I do best with a fairly short evening window... officially, it's from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm, but I usually stop eating by 8:00...

All this talk of running has got me excited about starting up running again... it's been many, many years since I ran much, so I can pretty much count myself a beginner... I found a running group in my area that has 5K training sessions every Saturday morning... too bad I didn't find it before this morning!.. oh, well, I can start next week...

It's insane how much easier staying on plan is when I IF. Once I take that "first bite" in the morning before I'm supposed to it opens the floodgates. I continue to nibble and graze all day and don't ever seem to get full with meals.

WOW!!!.. can I relate to this!.. this was my biggest problem during the holidays, especially during my visit with my parents... my mom is an amazing cook & is always pretty insistent that we all eat breakfast, lunch, & dinner... of course, since it was Christmas, there were all sorts of sinful goodies around 24 hours a day... I found them too hard to resist... these first few days back on IF are giving me a chance to get my stomach used to not being full all the time... I think eating all day gets me so used to having a full stomach that to have it less full is extremely uncomfortable, physically as well as mentally & emotionally... so just cutting back is just not possible... the only remedy is to go cold turkey... IF rocks!..

hugs :hug:

ennay
01-07-2012, 06:12 PM
hmmm...I may have to replan race day fueling. Not being used to breakfast anymore I felt a bit uncomfortable most of the race. Might have to stick with liquid or gel calories. Blech.

Proatthis
01-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Ennay how did you do on the race? What was the distance? It sucks doing a race and not feeling your best while doing it. I guess with IF it's trial and error?

I fasted every other day this past week so my week looked like this:

Fast Sunday 6pm-Monday 6pm
Fast Tuesday 6pm- Wednesday 6pm
Fast Thursday 6pm-Friday 6pm.

I know with ESE he says 1-2 times a week for fasting. Do you think this is too much to d it every other day? I feel fine so far doing it. And I was going to fast today (well Saturday from 8pm to tomorrow morning)

Also got some good walks in and just weights at home. No real loss this week yet.

ennay
01-08-2012, 11:21 AM
I did well on the race, I'm coming back from a long layoff and I was about 90 seconds faster than I expected. It was a 10K so fueling isnt super critical. My energy level was perfect though, I felt like I had the right amount of fuel, but my gut felt heavy and in a couple spots at the tops of hills I felt sick. I may try a protein shake with fruit next time instead of toast and almond butter.

geoblewis
01-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Got way off track with the IF over the last few months. It has been really difficult to get back to it. I thought I'd try to get back on track with a good old-fashioned 40-hour fast today. Started last night at 8 and I plan to go until tomorrow noon, then break with my regular old 8-hour eating window, get back into the IF groove and keep calories at my RMR minus 500. That's just for this week. Next week I start the Venus Index competition (12 weeks) so I think I'll try to do two 40-hour fasts a week. We'll see how this one goes.

ddc
01-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Good luck! I'm restarting again today. I seem to always get off to a good start and then TOM hits and I get off track because I'm ravenous during that time. :(
I always thought it'd be easy to get back on track with IF, but I've struggled this last year. I guess the best way is to never get off track.

ennay
01-09-2012, 03:26 PM
between the race and my daughters birthday this weekend was farther off the mark than most of the holidays. Blerrrrrgh.

geoblewis
01-12-2012, 03:56 AM
I got to 36 hours with my fast, but I lost two pounds! It was rough toward the end (that's why I cut it off shorter than the 40 hours I had planned). Didn't sleep welll at all during the fast. But recovery was good, so I'm trying a second fast now.

If that works, it'll be great! Because I've always struggled with getting daily calories lower, but the fasting doesn't seem so hard. Doing two 36-hour fasts a week means I can eat well four days a week and not stress so much over the calories every day.

Moozie
01-12-2012, 05:27 AM
HI,
have never joined a forum before, so forgive me if im butting in here!
i am nearing 47, weigh 15 stone- 210 lbs and aim to lose about 4 stone-56 lbs.
have done the usual yoyo dieting since my mid twenties and have always ended up weighing a bit more.

have read a bit about IF, but not great deal. begrudge buying a book about how not to eat!!! anyhow. I am planning to do two 20-26 hr fasts a week, but always eating something each day- eg breakfast on day 1, then nothing till lunch on day 2- or should i start with breakfast on day 2? is that what most of you do?

Im looking to be able to keep this up for a considerable period of time- as i have so much to lose, but wondered if anyone here has managed to keep it any if so, if you have any tips?

also i only plan to weigh myself once a fortnight, and i dont plan to changs what i eat on my none fast days-as the whole point for me is to not become obsessed with what i can or cant eat.

thanks for reading. will post again soon.
Moozie ( lover of cows, but not in the physical sense!!!)

KTucke7
01-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Moozie, good luck! IF has been the answer for many of us. I don't have any experience with two longer fasts a week. What works for me is the fast 19 hours, eat for 5 as set out in Fast 5 (free e-book). Others on here do something more like what you are trying.

Just a word of caution. I understand that you don't want to have to count calories on the days you don't fast. One of the things I've seen mentioned is that you have to be careful not to make up all the calories you didn't eat on your fast in the next eating window. So, make sure you are mindful not to over eat when you start again.

Good luck! :)

Moozie
01-12-2012, 10:53 AM
thanks for that,
and yes i realize i cant go mad on my eating days. i just plan to eat normal meals and continue to be able to eat out occasionally. my weight has been stable for about 6 months ( since i stopped dieting!) so i am hoping that if i stick to my normal regime with the fasts too, it will give me a slow but steady weight loss.
thaks for the advice.
moozie:)

KTucke7
01-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Moozie, yes it should. Keep us posted! :)

geoblewis
01-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Moozie, welcome to our little forum. I've been doing the IF for a few months now. I had been at a three-year plateau around 325 lbs and was so SO frustrated about not being able to break past that weight for any length of time. I'd dip down to 315, then pop right back up.

I changed the content of my diet, which made me feel a lot better, but even with the lower carbs and increased vegetables, even with the end to eating out and no longer eating any processed foods, all I could do was maintain that weight. I struggled to lower caloric intake. But once I learned about IF and started to use it (at first with 18-hour daily fasts and a six hour eating window), the weight started to come off. And I finally broke below 300 lbs a few months ago.

Since then there have been periods of time when I wasn't faithful to the IF. The weight didn't come back, but the weight loss ended and I hit a plateau again, right around 296 lbs. But last week, I started back up with the IF, this time with a 36-hr fast, and I dropped to 293 lbs. It is my intention to continue with this until its no longer effective, which will probably be when I get really close to my goal weight, below 200 lbs.

I seem to be able to handle the longer fast if I time it right (from 6 pm to 6 am two days hence). I struggle with eating less than my RMR on any given day, so with IF, I don't have to stress over that at all. During the fasting day, I drink coffee, water and chicken broth (no more than 2 cups every four hours).

The challenge for me is breaking the fast. I'm still tweaking this. I can easily put away my RMR within the four hours after I'm done fasting. I read how other women can break a fast with 200 calories and go on with their day till dinner. I can't! I wonder if it's how I break the fast that is the issue, what I'm eating specifically. This time, I'm going to try ending the fast with a meal replacement shake and then leave the house to go to my Pilates class. It seems to take a good hour before what I eat affects my blood sugar levels and helps me calm down. (I get really edgy and energized when I fast.) If I can distract myself enough with something else to do, then perhaps I can work on spreading those calories over the day rather than all at once.

Good luck with finding what works for you. Be patient with yourself. It takes a little time to tweak IF to your body's rhythm.

Moozie
01-12-2012, 06:16 PM
thanks to both of you.:)

its good to hear that you haven't lost heart with IF, as I know i want to follow it long term- if I can get my body used to it.
have been on a non fast day today- my Sisters 50TH birthday. just got back from an oriental buffet, and was able to eat without feeling guilty. but funnily, didnt go mad either.

for me, this is one of the biggest attractions of IF. as I do eat out once a week- nothing special, just a pub supper at the local Quiz night. i had always struggled with the guilt versus deprivation, which ultimately made me eat more than.
if I can plan my fasting periods around it, I hope i will be able to enjoy it without overeating.

any way, we will see.
my first fast went really well. second one starts tomorrow after breakfast. and then ill have the weekend eating normally.

oh yes- can anyone tell me how you got the little weight loss picture at the bottom of your posts?

thanks and good luck to you too.
:dizzy:

ennay
01-12-2012, 06:53 PM
thanks to both of you.:)

oh yes- can anyone tell me how you got the little weight loss picture at the bottom of your posts?

thanks and good luck to you too.
:dizzy:

You have to be a member and participate in the forums for awhile before you can get a ticker. I think it is 30 or 50 posts, something like that. Once you can, you can use 3FC's own ticker, lilypie or tickerfactory

Italiannie
01-12-2012, 07:02 PM
TICKERS: I think it's 21 days and 21 posts. If you keep checking your CP it will show up automatically that you can add a custom signature. That is where you will put it. You can go on one of the ticker web sites now and get one going, you just can't add it to your signature quite yet.

Welcome to IF.

Proatthis
01-12-2012, 08:59 PM
I just cannot eat as much with ESE! I fast for 24 hours every other day and when I do eat it's usually one meal a day of whatever I fancy ( healthy but not deprived). And then I just don't have an appetite it's crazy. I love it.

Moozie
01-13-2012, 06:17 PM
thanks everyone.
i will have my ticker to look forward to!
have just finished my second fast, only 20 hours, as i had an evening meeting that included a meal. but i ate very sensibly and was surprised how quickly i was full.
think i will stick with the 2 x 24 hour fasts for a while and see what my results are, as i haven't had any real ill effects of going without food. don't feel like im cutting down, though obviously over the week, its a reasonable calorie deficit.

not looking for a quick fix- it took me a long time to get here. i am just hoping that by this time next year I will be feeling a lot healthier- and be able to fit into normal clothes.
keep well, eat well.
moozie:dizzy:

Amarantha2
01-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Hi, everyone! Happy New Year! I've been using different versions of IF off and for awhile, just trying things out. I have become fascinated by all the different benefits and patterns that people use to fast, something years ago that I thought was not good for me but I am increasingly drawn to the benefits.

Moozie, I think you are basically doing Eat-Stop-Eat, then? Sorry, I am kind of breezing through because busy and not sure if you said that.

I tried Fast Five and I don't like that pattern and am considering Eat-Stop-Eat or Leangains but now I just "fast" by basically skipping one to two meals in a day that I've decided to do it.

It has a lot of benefits and I feel great.

What I did come on here today to ask is if anyone knows of an iPhone app for IF. I found one with bad reviews and it doesn't seem to be much more than just a countdown timer. I would like an app that works like a countdown timer but also logs the fasts and enter data.

There are a number of fasting apps that are applicable to religious fasting but that isn't really what I am doing.

Moozie
01-15-2012, 06:19 AM
Hi Amarantha,
i think its eat stop eat that i have based this on- to be fair i havent read the book, but i did some searching on google and read a bit about it that way.
i begrudged paying $39 to be told how not to eat!!!
I am eating normally all this weekend and will be fasting again after monday breakfast- but i am finding that i am tempted to miss meals, which im guessing i shouldnt do?
what i dont want to do is under eat and slow my metabolism down.
ho hum, will just have to trust my instincts on this one.and the scales when i weigh myself.

anyway there is an IF timer app by motfu on iphone apps. it is a very simple tool, it basically tells you when you started, how long you have left- that may be the one you saw?
cant see any others, sorry
it may be that one of the diet apps could be used? will have a look and report back.

Amarantha2
01-15-2012, 01:46 PM
EDITED TO ADD: I did get the app, Moozie! I do think it is nice. It puts your fast on your calendar so that serves my purpose that I want a record. I am doing a one hour test of it to see if it actually makes a sound when the fast is over.

Lol, I am app mad since I got my new iPod! Thanks!

I did do 15 hours, my longest stint, from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 a.m., usually I eat something at night or early in the morning, so this was a good effort. I am cutting calories today so as NOT to have a binge.

Yea, I have not actually read E-S-E either. There are copious explanations of all the plans on Livestrong and I have a lot of the Kindle versions of some of them at much less than $39.

Have a good day, all!

Woody
01-16-2012, 07:38 AM
I have read a couple of articles about exercising in the fasted state. It seems
that this works better for burning fat and reducing insulin resistance. I haven't
been exercising lately but decided to start back doing some but only on alternet days about an hour or 2 before I break my fast. I am hopeing this
will help with my diabetes a little more. Now the 40lbs I have lost on this WOE
has helped my diabetes a lot but it still could be a little better.

ennay
01-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Lost my mojo for awhile and while I was mostly still in IF the quality of food wasnt good.

Think I have located it.

ennay
01-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Question for John or anyone who uses BCAA supplementation in conjunction with IF. I have BCAA capsules, but taking that many pills is tiresome so I skip more often than not.

I'm back in a heavy lifting cycle so I though I would at least use them then since it is usually at least 5-7 hours after my workout before I break fast. I've been looking into the BCAA powders, but all the ones I have seen have artificial sweeteners which cause me major tummy issues. Are there any unflavored ones?

JohnP
01-16-2012, 03:59 PM
If you're going to use BCAAs and your stomach cannot handle you should probably stick to pills.

I buy unflavored BCAAs for when I lift fasted but I mix in crystal light because the unflavored BCAAs by themselves are taste very bad.

Then again - BCAAs are certainly not necessary. If you're not looking to add muscle then I would just skip them.

The idea behind BCAAs is to turn on anabolism for people following the leangains method and attempting to add small amounts of muscle while dieting down to very lean levels. Martin has said they are not neccessary just optimal for those following his methodology.

GetMyBodyBack
01-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Hey everyone! I'm new to IF and I'm so glad to have found this forum! I have been trying everything under the sun to lose the 50 lbs. I gained after my pregnancy. I then was hit by a 53' semi trailer in November and have a bad back injury. At this time I can't do any exercise except my physical therapy 3 times a week so I need to cut my calories by a lot! I figure this is worth a shot to help control my calories and turn this into a healthy lifestyle! Do you guys think this is a way of life that could help me reach my goal while recovering from my accident? Thank you for all of your posts they are so inspiring!

GetMyBodyBack
01-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Btw this is my 3rd day doing IF and my window has been roughly 12:30-7:30 to start. I am working my way to a 5 hour window. So far I am 4 lbs down in 3 days, I'm sure it's water weight but it is nice to see on the scale! :)

Dawn2Dusk
01-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Hi all! I've been skimming through these posts for a while. Intermittent fasting is something that has worked tremendously for me in the past. I stopped when people, usually family and friends, convinced me that I'm harming myself by eating just once (sometimes twice) a day, that I'm going to go into starvation mode, that it's not something you can do as a lifestyle change, etc.

I'm the type of person who, if not hungry, will binge everything in sight if I have a single bite of something. I guess I'm weird like that. But if I'm hungry, and I mean truly, stomach growling hungry, I'll eat until satisfied (usually in the afternoon) and I'm good to go for the day.

My problem isn't hunger... it's the cravings. If I only wait until I'm actually hungry, I'm fine and I eat what I need and not any more. I've tried eating small meals every couple of hours and had I stuck with it, it would have worked (ultimately it IS calories in vs calories out) but that's just it. For me, it doesn't feel very natural or very practical. It got to a point where eating every few hours felt like a chore. If I wait until I'm hungry, I tend to make better choices, too.

So tomorrow, I will go back to IF. I feel I'm happier, more energetic, less lethargic and more productive that way. Eating every few hours had the disadvantage of making me drowsy and bogging down my mind, too.

KTucke7
01-21-2012, 04:17 PM
@getmybodyback I think IF would be a great way to loss weight before or after an accident. I've been doing fast 5 for almost a year now. It is very sustainable and works great for me and many others. Good luck to you! If you have questions just ask :)

KTucke7
01-21-2012, 05:51 PM
@Dawn2Dusk Actually, I don't think that is weird at all. I'm the same way, I'm not hungry until I take the first bite then I want to eat everything in sight. That's why IF works so well for me. When my window opens, I can eat quite a bit and don't pick at stuff all day!

Amarantha2
01-21-2012, 11:19 PM
I am still experimenting with organizing my food life around IF. Not doing Fast 5 or any organized plan, just doing mini "fasts" in an attempt to feel better and be more organized between fasting and eating periods.

Eventually I will pick a plan.

The IF timer app for iPhone actually has helped me a lot!

Woot!

Moozie
01-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Hi All,
have now completed my first 2 weeks of IF and have weighed my self this morning. I was hoping for a couple of pounds, but nearly fell off the scales- Ive lost 7lbs!! yippee. :carrot:

I am so encouraged by this, especially as this weigh in was after 2 days of normal eating.I haven't lost that much at the beginning of a diet since i was in my twenties.

I am coping well with 2 fasts a week, of 26-28 hours, so that i miss a whole days food each time. Have had a few difficulties with planning when to fast, but thats just because January is a funny month for me- 3 close family birthdays, including my own, all of which involve food!! but I have been out to 2 celebrations in my first 2 weeks and have not gone mad, nor denied myself.
so all in all, am really pleased with this great start.

dawn to dusk and getmybodyback, this has been so easy in comparison to other eating plans I've tried. yes I've felt hungry on the fasts, but because i know that i can eat on my non fast days, it has been easy to ignore it

i know that this rate of loss will not continue, but its really boosted my confidence that the plan can work for me, and as i am only going to weigh every 2 weeks, I am hoping that i will have some weight loss each time, even if its only a lb, and no early plateaus.

anyway, thanks for reading and for all your posts- which i love to read
:)

Amarantha2
01-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Congratulations, Moozie!

I maintained this week, am eating too much overall.

I am still experimenting. :)

ennay
01-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Dawn to dusk, that is exactly what happens to me. If I eat when I am not hungry I go into binge mode. Thanks for the observation because I needed a phrasing like that to quantify what I have been doing this week.

At least pseudo-IF has kept the damage to a minimum.

noegirl05
01-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Hi there I'm starting today. My fast started at 6:30. I have about 30lbs to lose and hoping to do so before June 1st. I also workout to kettlebells 3 days a week.

Dawn2Dusk
01-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Hi guys. I started on Saturday as planned and today is Day 3. So far so good. I gotta say, I've been tempted to check my weight constantly but holding off until Saturday - official weigh-in. I won't lie, it's definitely challenging. Like I thought so, hunger isn't the problem. The growlies happen twice, maybe three times a day, then disappear a few minutes later. It's the cravings that are so trying. But I've been holding strong. It makes the evening meal that much more satisfying. I don't even binge, don't even feel the need or want to, you know?

I figured even if I add in more meals in the day during maintenance at least by ignoring my cravings now and focusing more on hunger I can teach myself to do the same then, too.

As for how I'm feeling: zen and mellow, more patient, less annoyed about stuff and people. No highs or lows/crashes yet, just feeling stable. I've been very productive at work. I have a desk job in front of a computer with minimal amounts of walking but I've been able to put in 6-8 hours so far in the past three days.

How's everybody else doing?

KTucke7
01-23-2012, 03:10 PM
@noegirl05 Welcome and good luck!

@Dawn2Dusk I also have a desk job. I am much more alert and less prone to do a keyboard face plant while fasting. Bonus! :)

noegirl05
01-23-2012, 08:22 PM
OK so today was easy until it was time to fix dinner. I ended up with a 22 hour fast. I didn't work today so I wasn't as distracted as I would be at work. Planning to do it Sunday evening to Monday and Wednesday to Thursday. I'm only going to weigh on Saturdays. So far I'm super excited. I ended my fast with a half of avocado, half of baked plain sweet potato, and a string cheese. I ended up having a bit of chili for dinner a half of apple and a few grapes. Not sure how many calories that is but I'm hoping its under 800

ennay
01-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Note to self. If you spend 2 weeks "IFing" with a sugar binge at the same time, dont think you can do a fasted double workout the second day back, need time to remember how to use fat for fuel

gamesmaster1
01-25-2012, 08:16 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but have being doing IF'ing for 9 months now.

My eating window is 10 hours (as recommended by leangains for women).

Usually I eat 10am-8pm. This time suits me as a get to eat with the family at 5.30pm and a snack whilst watching tv about 7.30pm.

I also do weight training 1 or 2 mornings a week - lifting heavy, 2-3 sets of 5-6 reps - squats, deadlifts, leg press/extension mostly.

I don't do any cardio anymore, just a low/medium intensity walk with the dog 2-3 mornings a week. I'm not a big fan of cardio at the gym!

I have dropped my weight from 150lb to 120lb (with more muscle weight) since I started IF'ing, so am happy with the results!

I have a couple of pounds still to loose before I want to maintain and am having the old difficulty that when I eat a nible of anything the flood gates open and I start craving, then eat junk!

I read 'Eat Stop Eat' and did did my first day on Monday. I was really surprised that I wasn't hungry at all throughout the day. Although I drunk some black coffee, water, flavoured tea thorughout the day and then ate at 6pm with the family. I thought I would pig out after 24 hours of fasted state but to my amazement I just ate what I would normally eat for dinner anyway (what Brad suggests).

I am on day 2 of Eat Stop Eat today, and am not feeling hungry at all! But I know if I were to eat one little thing the hunger would come straight away!

This forum is a great resource, thanks for all the info and I will post back to let you know next Monday if there has been a drop in weight or body fat this week.:carrot:

geoblewis
01-25-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm working in a 24-hour fast today. Have a wine and cheese thing to go to this evening and I want to be free to enjoy. Still, I don't plan on making a meal of it all. Trying to make up for a bit of overeating earlier in the week.

Aunt Sheshie
01-25-2012, 01:16 PM
If you're going to use BCAAs and your stomach cannot handle you should probably stick to pills.

I buy unflavored BCAAs for when I lift fasted but I mix in crystal light because the unflavored BCAAs by themselves are taste very bad.

Then again - BCAAs are certainly not necessary. If you're not looking to add muscle then I would just skip them.

The idea behind BCAAs is to turn on anabolism for people following the leangains method and attempting to add small amounts of muscle while dieting down to very lean levels. Martin has said they are not neccessary just optimal for those following his methodology.

JohnP, I'm glad you brought this up... I've been doing 20 g. BCAAs on my workout days, 10 g. before workout & 10 g. immediately after... do you believe there would be any benefit to doing more than that?.. like, 5 g. upon waking in the morning & 5 g. right before bed?.. plus, doing them on my non-workout days too?.. or would just be overkill, so to speak?..

Thanks!.. hugs :hug:

GetMyBodyBack
01-29-2012, 11:59 PM
Once I start eating it seems uncontrollable. I don't eat a very large amount it just seems like I am always wanting to eat once I break the fast. During my fasts though I am not hungry or even thinking about food.. Do you guys have this problem? I did get a little off track due to TOM this week and a night of drinking at a concert and gained back 3 of the 6 lbs. I lost. Ugh! But I am getting back on track and making better food choices I closed my window tonight at 7:30pm. I'm hoping to lose 15 lbs. And get down to 165 by march 1st. *fingers crossed it goes as planned*

KTucke7
01-30-2012, 12:28 PM
@GetMyBodyBack Actually, I find that I feel full pretty quickly when my eating window opens. The only thing I can think of to help is fast longer. I can't remember if you are doing Fast 5 or Eat Stop Eat, but for instance, if you are doing Fast 5 you could reduce your eating window to 2 or 3 hours perhaps? No clue really, just trying to think of something that might help.

JohnP
01-30-2012, 08:24 PM
JohnP, I'm glad you brought this up... I've been doing 20 g. BCAAs on my workout days, 10 g. before workout & 10 g. immediately after... do you believe there would be any benefit to doing more than that?.. like, 5 g. upon waking in the morning & 5 g. right before bed?.. plus, doing them on my non-workout days too?.. or would just be overkill, so to speak?..

What are your goals? The primary reason to use BCAAs is to maximize muscle gain (or to help minimize loss) on heavy lifting days. I'm only going by what Martin from Leangains reccomends when I suggest to take 10g before workout. He only suggests 10 more grams if you can't eat within an hour of working out and spaces them out 10g every two hours.

Example - workout 8:00 AM - feeding window opens at noon. 10g BCAAs at 8:00 AM, 10g BCAA at 10:00 AM, meal at Noon.

Even then Martin says this is optimal but not necessary - again when the goals to maximize muscle gain (or to help minimize loss) on heavy lifting days. Thus anything else is just tossing money down the drain.

Woody
01-31-2012, 03:13 PM
I have been doing a 5 hour eating window and JUDDD ( eating 2600 calories
one day and 500 calories the next day) this has worked well for me. But like
some people here I don't get to hungry when fasting but once I start eating
I find it hard to stop. On my 500 calorie days if I eat a 100 calories here and there I seem to do ok but having 2 or 300 calories at one time trigers my hunger. Is there any good reason for this ?

On a different note I rember a study I read about exercise and consuming
protein. This study did not look at building muscle mass it was conserned with
something called cardiac reserve. They found that having 20 or 30 G of protein right after exercise enabled the heart to build this reserve capacity
something to help it handel stress like a heat stroke a lot better. And no I
don't rember where I read this article.

wvuchick
02-02-2012, 03:05 PM
HI I've been trying to find an IF support group online for Intermittent fasting. Is it too late to joing this group?

thanks!

Aunt Sheshie
02-02-2012, 03:11 PM
What are your goals? The primary reason to use BCAAs is to maximize muscle gain (or to help minimize loss) on heavy lifting days. I'm only going by what Martin from Leangains reccomends when I suggest to take 10g before workout. He only suggests 10 more grams if you can't eat within an hour of working out and spaces them out 10g every two hours.

Example - workout 8:00 AM - feeding window opens at noon. 10g BCAAs at 8:00 AM, 10g BCAA at 10:00 AM, meal at Noon.

Even then Martin says this is optimal but not necessary - again when the goals to maximize muscle gain (or to help minimize loss) on heavy lifting days. Thus anything else is just tossing money down the drain.

Thanks, JohnP... my goal is really to minimize muscle loss, but if there's any muscle gain, that'd be a good thing... I think I'll just stick with what I've been doing & not add any more... throwing money down the drain isn't one of my favorite things...

HI I've been trying to find an IF support group online for Intermittent fasting. Is it too late to joing this group?

thanks!

Its' never too late, wvuchick... welcome!..

hugs :hug:

wvuchick
02-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

I should probably introduce myself a little

I've lost 31 lbs. through conventional dieting, counting calories, since July 2011. I don't actually remember where I came across IF, but I read Eat Stop Eat, and thought that it made a lot of sense to fast and thought I'd give it a try.

Today is my first day. I'm about 18 hours in and so far so good. :)

I've still got a lot of lbs to go. So I think I will still try to be a little strict when not fasting.

KTucke7
02-03-2012, 12:43 PM
@wvuchick Welcome and good luck! :)

gamesmaster1
02-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

I should probably introduce myself a little

I've lost 31 lbs. through conventional dieting, counting calories, since July 2011. I don't actually remember where I came across IF, but I read Eat Stop Eat, and thought that it made a lot of sense to fast and thought I'd give it a try.

Today is my first day. I'm about 18 hours in and so far so good. :)

I've still got a lot of lbs to go. So I think I will still try to be a little strict when not fasting.

Wvuchick, welcome:carrot:

Sounds like me in many ways! Did the conventional route and now doing a combination of ESE and Fast5. Weigh in on Monday so will get to see if I have gotten results! Although I do feel alot better already and clothes seem looser in 2 weeks:carrot:

Today was REALLY easy, didnt feel hungry at all. I tend to do ESE on Monday and Friday:carrot:

wvuchick
02-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Hey gamesmaster!

I can't "weight" to hear how you've done. I am going to do Mondays and Thursdays. My first day was really easy. If it gets easier like everyone says, I shouldn't have any problems.

I felt really good yesterday. I also think this will help me get over the feeling that I need to eat at certain times that I've conditioned myself to believe. Like usually at lunch, I am counting down the minutes, but today I was like I don't really care if I eat at all.

Good Luck on Monday. Tuesday is my official weigh in day. I'll be sure to report my results!

Violet73
02-04-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm feeling so much better since I started back doing IFing. I don't have a particular window. I just eat only in the evenings which consists of dinner and a small snack. I feel hunger pains and growling all day, but it's not that bad and I don't feel like I'm starving. These are just things I'm not used to feeling cause I never would allow myself to be hungry at all.

I have coffee and water throughout the day and that's it. I feel like my mind is sharper and I don't feel as tired. I'm loving it :) Hopefully, I'll lose weight in the process..

wvuchick
02-06-2012, 10:46 AM
HI Violet,
We are very close to the same weight right now. :D Maybe we can be buddies through this together. Thursday was my first fast, and today is the second.

Tomorrow is my official weigh in day. Wish me luck! :^:

Violet73
02-06-2012, 10:51 AM
wvuchick, that sounds great! There are definitely some health benefits to doing this. My mood was so great yesterday and I even had less fibro pain. I was able to turn my neck farther around while driving yesterday too. I've read that it can help inflammation. I believe it is for me! I'm down another pound from yesterday too :carrot:

wvuchick
02-06-2012, 12:10 PM
I felt so much better since that first fast. I'm sure part of it is in my head. But hey if I feel better I don't care what the reason is!

Violet73
02-06-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm sure it isn't in your head, or actually it may be but not in the way you think! studies show that IF causes the brain to function better :)

ValRock
02-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Mind if I pop back in? I need some accountability. I taped a calendar on the back of my closet door to keep track of my eating and weight. I need to get this done before bathing suit season!!! No more excuses.

I feed from 5-9 M-F, eat "normally" on Saturday and usually fast on Sunday. I'm open to tweaking and/or suggestions. It just happens to be how my body wants to eat!

wvuchick
02-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Hi Val,
Just wanted to say that you look great! How did you do it? All IF (I hope)?

I can't really suggest anything, since i'm so new, just wanted to say HI!

ValRock
02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Hi Val,
Just wanted to say that you look great! How did you do it? All IF (I hope)?

I can't really suggest anything, since i'm so new, just wanted to say HI!

Thank you! Unfortunately I didn't discover IF until last year. I've used it mostly for maintenance. I wish I'd known about it sooner, would have made my journey a lot easier!! I get sick thinking about all the times I force fed myself when I wasn't hungry :dizzy:.

Hello!!

wvuchick
02-06-2012, 05:35 PM
I've lost 31 lbs pre-IF. Since you are in maintenance, what do you typically eat on your non-fasting days?

ValRock
02-06-2012, 05:38 PM
I've lost 31 lbs pre-IF. Since you are in maintenance, what do you typically eat on your non-fasting days?

Was on maintenance... I'm done making excuses. Time to get back in it to win it! :carrot:

You mean like Saturday? I'm not proud of my Saturday food choices but that will change.

Breakfast - Fruit and yogurt, Lunch... soup and salad and or sandwich/out with friends, Dinner... Pizza or something awful. :o. It was bad... but at least I didn't regain!

Back off starch and back on whole foods for a while. I don't want to scare everyone at the pool this summer.

gamesmaster1
02-07-2012, 06:13 AM
Hi ladies!

Okay, my weigh in went great! I have finally managed to break through the weight loss plateau and lost 2lbs in 2 weeks! My body fat went from 17.5% to 16.7% which is a record for me!

My stubborn lower body fat also seems to be finally coming off my thighs and bum, although my lower legs are REALLY stubborn, I think they hol the fat the longest (I blames cr@p genes!).

Anyway, just to make you aware there is an Eat Stop Eat forum on here which is very busy atm if you ladies are wanting to post there too? Some do ESE or Fast Five or IF in other windows.

I have benn doing ESE Mon and Frid and Fast 5 during the week! I take Saturdays off the plan. I will continue this until maintenance (end of April) all things going to plan and then maybe drop ESE an just use Fast 5 as a lifestyle plan!

Have a fantastic day!

Violet73
02-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Gamesmaster, that's great on the weight loss and inches lost! I'm going to search for the other thread! thanks!

KTucke7
02-07-2012, 10:59 AM
@gamesmaster1 I've been doing Fast 5 for maintenance for one year this month and it is fantastic for that!

@Valrock Like you, I eat as I please on Saturdays and still maintain with ease. I don't have to struggle during the week either. I'm sure I COULD regain some weight, but I'd have to work at it I think. One thing about all the years of dieting, you learn to almost instinctively avoid eating certain foods on a regular basis. That probably contributes to the ease of my maintenance because during the week, I still avoid overdoing. It is GREAT to be able to eat as I wish on Saturday though without having to worry. That gives me the motivation I need to stay on track during the week. I seldom eat before noon on Saturday which is my preference and helps too.

wvuchick
02-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Well I weighed in this morning. Lost 2.2 lbs in one week. The last month before this weigh in, I had lost 1.2 lbs in total. So I am thrilled. I am hoping to be able to keep this pace up!

Good work gamesmaster.

I'm going to check out the ESE forum too.

gamesmaster1
02-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Well I weighed in this morning. Lost 2.2 lbs in one week. The last month before this weigh in, I had lost 1.2 lbs in total. So I am thrilled. I am hoping to be able to keep this pace up!

Good work gamesmaster.

I'm going to check out the ESE forum too.

Well done wvuchick!:carrot: what a result:carrot: See you over on ese!

gamesmaster1
02-07-2012, 12:20 PM
@gamesmaster1 I've been doing Fast 5 for maintenance for one year this month and it is fantastic for that!

That's encouraging! thankyou:) It change my eating window sometimes when i feel hungry - like today 1pm-6pm, as I got hungry earlier in the day! Means I can eat lunch at lunch time and dinner with the family!

Yesterday my 5 hour window was later in the day and I felt really bloated at bedtime with all the late night eating?!

I guess it just takes a while to find out what suits your own body/lifestyle best!

KTucke7
02-07-2012, 01:33 PM
It is absolutely an individual thing. My sister doesn't want to eat anything within 4 hours of bedtime. I sleep best when I eat right before bed. Whatever works! :)

esmi134
02-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Hello everyone!!

KTucke7-->>
I have just started to follow fast 5 and I am wondering if you have any tips for me to lose the weight I want to lose and also to maintain afterwards.

Thanx

JohnP
02-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Hello everyone!!

KTucke7-->>
I have just started to follow fast 5 and I am wondering if you have any tips for me to lose the weight I want to lose and also to maintain afterwards.

Thanx

I am not Ktucke7 but I would suggest you read the first IF support group thread. If you're lazy, like me, than I would simply tell you this:

Calories matter. IF does nothing to change the equation of energy.

KTucke7
02-11-2012, 06:44 PM
@esmi134 Like John said, you still have to watch the calories on Fast 5. It is just easier for me to do when I'm only eating for 5 hours. A lot easier! Personally, I count my calories on a weekly basis rather than a daily basis. That gives me some to play with for weekends, a special dinner, or when I just have an overdo day.

With fast 5, make sure you eat enough to carry you through the fasting period. I'm a night eater, so this isn't really a problem for me. I eat, go to bed, then have no trouble at all getting to my eating window without hunger management problems. Like I've mentioned before, I tend to be the "once the first bite crosses my lips I want to keep going" type. That's why fast 5 works well for me. I find that I can manage my calories a lot better if I can eat something relatively substantial instead of trying to spread a skimpy calorie allowance over 16 hours... That's why it works great for my maintenance. I don't feel deprived.

I've found my maintenance is around 1700 calories a day. When you are maintaining or losing, it's important to know what your maintenance is. While there are lots of calculators that give an estimate, most find that it is a really individual thing. Use a calculator as a starting point then you'll have to determine your true maintenance by trial and error. At 1700 a day x 7 days, I have 11,900 calories a week to distribute. I eat about 1400 calories a day Monday through Thursday, which leaves me (11,900-(1400 x 4)) 6,300 calories for Friday through Sunday, when we tend to eat out and do things involving food. If I wanted to lose, I'd drop my weekly down to around 9800 which would put me at losing about 1/2 pound a week. You can cut more or exercise more if you want to lose faster.

I've been at the weight loss/maintenance game since 1995 when I lost 100 pounds. I find logging calories to be invaluable when losing and during the first years of maintenance. I use fitday.com (free version). After awhile, it becomes second nature to understand the calorie content of what you are eating, believe it or not.

When losing, watch your body's response. You don't have a lot to lose so you may not notice this as much, but as your weight drops so does the number of calories you burn every day. Every pound burns calories even when it is just sitting there, so your requirements change. They also change with age. I'm 54 now, and I've found that even though I still lift weights and exercise, my maintenance calories dropped after age 50. Anyway, if you stop making progress (while losing) or start gaining (while maintaining) you will have to adjust your calories.

Finally, while I know it makes no sense and shouldn't be possible, I've found that my maintenance is about 100 calories a day higher when I do fast 5. It was 1600 a day before and now it is 1700. Bonus! :) Not sure what the mechanism is there, but I know it is true for me.

Another tip I'd give you is to eat plenty of protein. A lot of people don't get enough and it's important. It's your body's fuel of choice and it digests differently than carbs, so it keeps you full longer (in simplistic terms).

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions or I can help in any way, just let me know! Good luck to you and know that if I can do it, anyone can...

esmi134
02-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Thank you guys!

JohnP, where can I find the first IF support group thread? I am interested in reading it.

KTucke7, I appreciate all the info, I am very excited because I have already noticed a difference and want to keep going.

35X35
02-15-2012, 07:51 PM
I'm reading this thread with interest.

I did a version of this when I was in my early 20's and lost 50lbs pretty effortlessly. I would eat a small yogurt cup in the morning, then I would fast until about 3pm when I got home from work, then I would have a very large meal (or meals) in the evening (which is my worst trigger time). I would say it was about 1400-1500 calories total but because it was in a short amount of time I felt like I could eat unrestricted.

However, so many people drummed it into me that it was SO unhealthy and SO damaging to my body and such a *wrong* way to do things that I abandoned it and gained it all back -- despite the fact that I did in fact lose weight.

Anyway, I'm going back to eating in the evenings ( a controlled calorie amount) and eating very little during the day/fasting. Thanks for the inspiration. I'll be reading this thread with interest!

KTucke7
02-15-2012, 09:03 PM
@35x35 Welcome and good luck! :)

Rosey85
02-16-2012, 05:50 AM
Hi everyone,

I came across this forum after doing a lot of research into IF and this seems like the most active and supportive forum to be a part of!

I have always been petite but at my heaviest I was 165lb(ish) after being on the contraceptive injection, eating crap and doing no exercise. I came off the injection and lost 35lbs in 8months about 6 years ago (without trying...I put it down to being a poor student) and I have been going to the gym and running since the weight loss for about 4 years now and have managed to tone up.

However, I cannot seem to shift these last 10lbs or so to get down to my ideal weight even with a good mix of strength training and cardio 4/5 days a week.
My big problem is of course my diet. I do not put weight on, I just maintain. I have been this weight for years now! I don't eat unhealthily, I just eat a lot!! I love eating! And as soon as I eat breakfast in the morning a few hours later I am hungry again.

This is my 6th day of doing variations of IF.
Sat/Sun/Mon/Wed and today/Fri I am doing 16/8 and on Tuesday I did 24 hours from 7pm-7pm. Though it was more like 23!

It has confirmed what I thought, if I don't begin to eat, the hunger is much more manageable. It is easier to flat out resist any food at all, than to resist snacks/treats when already eating. It seems more clear cut and I am finding this works for me.

I have been drinking lots of water and green tea, which I do anyway so it hasn't been too difficult to not eat until 1pm/2pm. On the 24 hr fast I drank pepsi max too.

Funnily enough when I was a student and I lost 35lbs without even trying I was only eating one meal a day. And sometimes at weekends I wouldn't eat for 24+ hours due to partying....makes sense now, I was doing IF without realising. So it definitely does work!

I look forward to being part of your support group!

KTucke7
02-16-2012, 11:24 AM
@Rosey85 Good going and glad you joined us. I'm past the one year mark on Fast 5 and I love this way of eating! I sure wish I had discovered it years ago. It is great for anyone with "hunger management" issues in my opinion. It works like a charm for maintenance too, which is a struggle for anyone who has lost weight. Nice to see you are almost there! :)

PrincessSophia
02-16-2012, 05:36 PM
hi! I started IF today. I'll need support for sure because this time it seems it is more difficult not to eat and manage my hunger...

KTucke7, thanks a lot for sharing your exp.

KTucke7
02-16-2012, 05:48 PM
@Princess Sophia Welcome! Hunger management gets easier after a few days. Hang in there! :)