Support Groups - IF (Intermittent Fasting) Support Group Part II

Pages : 1 [2]

Rosey85
02-17-2012, 05:36 AM
@KTucke7 thanks for the warm welcome :) I agree that your body does not take long to adjust, after only 6 days I am finding hunger management significantly easier, even at work sitting at a desk in a boring job.
Just keep drinking plenty. I find switching between hot green tea, water and pepsi max good because of the different temperatures and sensations of them.

KTucke7
02-17-2012, 12:41 PM
@Rosey85 I drink hot green tea and diet pepsi. I also sit at a desk all day. If nothing else, the green tea helps keep us awake! ;)

esmi134
02-17-2012, 03:20 PM
hello everybody, glad to see some activity :)
I also have a desk job and thats when its easiest for me to follow IF, its being home that is challenging, i work part time for now. But I drink coffee, make different flavors (no sugar or cream or anything else) and water, sometimes flavored as well.

PrincessSophia
02-17-2012, 05:31 PM
@Princess Sophia Welcome! Hunger management gets easier after a few days. Hang in there! :)

thank you a lot for your support. I completed successfully. :carrot: Will repeat it next week (Tuesday or Wednesday)

KTucke7
02-17-2012, 05:36 PM
@esmi134 It is a real challenge when at home instead of at work! Makes me realize how much boredom eating I did...

Rosey85
02-17-2012, 06:24 PM
I am supposed to be doing a 24 hr fast tomorrow and not sure how i will fare being at home! Especially as I have 2 hours of gym classes early tomorrow morning and am always hungry after the gym. I am hoping that weighing will motivate me! If not I will just do as long as I can, I think I will aim for 3pm if 24hrs is feeling impossible nearing mid afternoon being so near the kitchen... :)

EmmaD
02-17-2012, 07:04 PM
JohnP, where can I find the first IF support group thread? I am interested in reading it.

Not JohnP here ... but I was also looking for that first IF thread. It was closed in September. Here it is:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/232273-its-time-if-intermittent-fasting-support-group.html

Rosey85
02-18-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm 17 hours in to my second 24hr fast and feeling good despite 2 hardcore classes at the gym this morning! I did have hunger pangs now and again within 2 hours of working out but they seem to have stopped now.
I weighed and have lost 1lb since last week, I am happy with that (especially as I ate a giant box of valentines day Thorntons chocs within 3 days!) though I expected the scales to show more because I look like I have lost more especially around my stomach which is always my problem area.
No worries though 1lb a week is fine by me if the mirror and the fit of my clothes continue to show improvement!
How is everyone doing today?

KTucke7
02-19-2012, 10:55 AM
@Rosey85 Good here! With as little as you have to lose a pound a week would be really good progress. Happy Sunday! :)

katylil
02-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Found this if anyone needs any further proof that IF is an excellent lifestyle choice! :)

https://apps.facebook.com/theguardian/education/2012/feb/17/tuition-fees-ruling-lagality-university?fb_source=other_multiline&fb_action_types=news.reads

KTucke7
02-21-2012, 04:08 PM
@katylil That link takes me to an article about tuition hikes. What am I doing wrong?

Rosey85
02-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Look to the right, there are some links to other stories and its one of them :)

KTucke7
02-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Found it! Thanks :)

Rosey85
02-22-2012, 03:21 AM
How is everyone doing?

Yesterday I did my 3rd 24 hour hour fast and went to the gym at around 22hrs fasted, as I posted on the other thread, I need to silence the voice in my head telling me I should be feeling tired after not eating, as physically I felt fine.

Today I am doing 19 hours so will eat at 3pm. I checked my body fat percentage the other day and it was 18.9% so I will check that every week to keep track as well as the scales. It looks like I have broken through my plateau though, as I have not been under 60kg for about a year! And 3 days ago I was 59.3kg! (Hopefully not just water which is why I wanted the body fat check to help me keep track).

KTucke7
02-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Sounds great Rosey! Wish my body fat percentage was that low.

Violet73
02-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Found this if anyone needs any further proof that IF is an excellent lifestyle choice! :)

https://apps.facebook.com/theguardian/education/2012/feb/17/tuition-fees-ruling-lagality-university?fb_source=other_multiline&fb_action_types=news.reads

Do you have a direct link to the article? Like they said above, this links me to an article about tuition. There are no articles on the right about IF now.

Rosey85
02-23-2012, 07:34 AM
Oh, I can't post links yet! Google "The guardian fasting" it's the first search result about preventing brain diseases :)

esmi134
02-24-2012, 09:13 PM
thanx EmmaD :)

philana
02-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Hi all,

I am looking into IF and could only find this thread on these boards, are there other IF places?

I've been doing calorie counting mostly but I keep messing up in the evening. I'd start out so perfectly and then ruin it. Mostly because my mom cooks so nice but full of calories. I am considering to only eat between 16-20 every day. I work a lot of 22-02 shifts so my day is only halfway by then. hihi. Any tips for a beginner? Things to pay attention to?

And do you guys eat absolutely nothing in the fasting-period or only fruit/veggies?

Thanks in advance.

JohnP
02-26-2012, 11:42 PM
Hi all,

I am looking into IF and could only find this thread on these boards, are there other IF places?

I've been doing calorie counting mostly but I keep messing up in the evening. I'd start out so perfectly and then ruin it. Mostly because my mom cooks so nice but full of calories. I am considering to only eat between 16-20 every day. I work a lot of 22-02 shifts so my day is only halfway by then. hihi. Any tips for a beginner? Things to pay attention to?

And do you guys eat absolutely nothing in the fasting-period or only fruit/veggies?

Thanks in advance.

I am unaware of any place on the internet where IF is discussed a huge amount and that is because it is quite simple and therefore there is not much to discuss unless you're a research scientist and trying to understand the mechanisms behind how IF can help fight cancer or extend life or other theoretical health benefits.

Tips for beginners would be to recognize there is an adjustment period and drink plenty of fluids during the fasting period. Some adjust in a couple days for others a couple weeks. If you're planning on starting your eating period at 2:00 PM nothing says you can't work your way up to that. Also one should have their diet in order before they start.

You do not eat anything during the fasting period but according to Martin Berkman you do not ruin the benefits of fasting if you consume 50 calories or less. However I think he is mainly basing this on his own experimentation and nothing actually scientific and has made the proclamation as a means to increase compliance. (You can have a dash of sugar or cream with your coffee or tea for example) Personally I keep the calories under 25 but that's just me.

You can like "Leangains" on FB and you'll get Martin's feed but most of his stuff revolves around bodybuilding. You can friend Brad Pilon on FB but he doesn't post much.

philana
02-27-2012, 04:33 AM
JohnP: Thank you for your suggestions. You are right, it isn't that complicated haha.

I will think up a serious plan and start with it this week. Tomorrow I have an important exam, and since I already gave up caffeine last wednesday I better not screw with my system much more before then. ;)

KTucke7
02-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Good luck philana! The leangains.com site has a lot of interesting info if you want to read through it. As John said, it is primarily geared to bodybuilders but I found some of the science stuff to be interesting. There is a huge leangains forum on bodybuilding.com, but again most of the people who post are into bodybuilding.

If you have any questions, just ask! Someone here will try to help.

LisaTcan
03-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Had trouble finding a thread on IF but I finally did! I've thought about trying it in the past but never truly committed to it. I lost 15 lbs through calorie counting but now I'm stuck. I think the problem is that I really need to eat 1200-1400 calories a day to lose weight but I have a lot of trouble sticking to it. I generally eat more like 1500-1800 which lets me maintain but not lose. I'm a big night eater so I think having a window from 1-9pm or 2-10pm might work.

Also question, I've recently started weight lifting and I normally do it in the evening after school or work. I know you're supposed to workout in a fasted state but would this really matter or could I have a snack at 4pm...work out and then eat dinner at 8pm?

Oh another question, I tend to eat out with friends a lot. Sometimes brunch...sometimes dinner. Does moving your window around work or is it best to keep it constant? Part of the reason I hate a lot of diets is because I don't want to miss our on my social life! That's way calorie counting (kind of) works for me.

Thanks!!

JohnP
03-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Had trouble finding a thread on IF but I finally did! I've thought about trying it in the past but never truly committed to it. I lost 15 lbs through calorie counting but now I'm stuck. I think the problem is that I really need to eat 1200-1400 calories a day to lose weight but I have a lot of trouble sticking to it. I generally eat more like 1500-1800 which lets me maintain but not lose. I'm a big night eater so I think having a window from 1-9pm or 2-10pm might work.

Also question, I've recently started weight lifting and I normally do it in the evening after school or work. I know you're supposed to workout in a fasted state but would this really matter or could I have a snack at 4pm...work out and then eat dinner at 8pm?

Oh another question, I tend to eat out with friends a lot. Sometimes brunch...sometimes dinner. Does moving your window around work or is it best to keep it constant? Part of the reason I hate a lot of diets is because I don't want to miss our on my social life! That's way calorie counting (kind of) works for me.

Thanks!!

At your height/weight I think you're foolish to focus AT ALL on what the scale says. Obviously I don't know what you look like naked but clearly you're working on vanity pounds. I'd be cautious to drop calories too low. To keep your hormones from getting out of wack you need to lose fat slowly when it comes to vanity lbs. Note: I said FAT not weight. Realistically if you could lose .5 lbs of fat a week that would be a good goal to shoot for. If you did this by June you would have lost 6 lbs of fat. But what you've got to recognize is that progress needs to be slow. I'd personally suggest calorie cycling. 1200 on off days - 1700 on workout days.

You don't need to work out fasted. You can move the window around.

LisaTcan
03-04-2012, 11:44 AM
John P - Thanks for the advice, it's really mostly body fat I want to lose. My body fat % is very high like 19-30%. A few years ago when I was dancing/acting (I then quit after a knee injury and various other issues with the industry) I was at this weight but my body fat was at about 19% and I felt a lot better. I'd like to get back there and maybe get my weight to drop a little lower. I changed careers and now work in obesity research so I am very aware that I am not overweight and these are just vanity pounds.

I started yesterday and ate from 1pm - 9pm, I'm going to do this again today.

JohnP
03-04-2012, 01:38 PM
I changed careers and now work in obesity research.

How cool to be involved in work that can potentially affect many people in a positive manner. If I were to win the mega millions jackpot I would quit what I'm doing and open a free weight loss center.

LisaTcan
03-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Yeah I really enjoy it :) I think it's very important and doesn't get enough attention.

wvuchick
03-05-2012, 10:30 AM
How cool to be involved in work that can potentially affect many people in a positive manner. If I were to win the mega millions jackpot I would quit what I'm doing and open a free weight loss center.

I have said so many times, I wish I had gotten into nutrition or something where I could help people that have weight issues.

Since I can't win the lottery (I work at the lottery, which means I can't play it :() can I work for you. I can open a mid-east US center. Since I live in one of the fattest states, it would be very busy!! ;)

JohnP
03-05-2012, 10:19 PM
I have said so many times, I wish I had gotten into nutrition or something where I could help people that have weight issues.

Since I can't win the lottery (I work at the lottery, which means I can't play it :() can I work for you. I can open a mid-east US center. Since I live in one of the fattest states, it would be very busy!! ;)

Sure thing! I'll have to remember to buy a ticket tomorrow. :D

KTucke7
03-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Too quiet on here! How is everyone doing?

Mrs Sam
03-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Yes, KTucke7
It is very quiet. I've been wanting to come on board but there is so little discussion. Wonder why?

KTucke7
03-15-2012, 12:43 PM
@MrsSam I guess if things are going well, people don't say much? I hope that is the case anyway!

JohnP
03-15-2012, 01:13 PM
The eat stop eat thread is much more active.

KTucke7
03-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Good to know John. Are there any fast-5ers over there?

wvuchick
03-16-2012, 10:13 AM
There are people doing all variations of IF over there. Come join us!

Elizabeth779
03-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Hi I'm new to 3FC. I stumbled across this thread, and am interested in IF. I work a night shift, and also just came off Atkins. Because I work nights, sleep days,
and am interested in IF. I've been reading this thread, and have an idea what you are talking about, but is there an informational thread or primer somewhere that would give me more information? I downloaded that ebook, but that doc does not recommend IF for the obese.....

also what is bcaas?

I'd like to consider IF, but need more basic information. Thanks.

JohnP
03-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Everyone seems to have moved ...

Check out this thread.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/255437-eat-stop-eat-fast-5-2012-a.html