South Beach Diet - SBD Weekend Chat, Sept 24-25

View Full Version : SBD Weekend Chat, Sept 24-25

Lexxiss
09-24-2011, 05:32 AM
Good Morning:sunny:

It's a travel day here; we're getting things cleaned up, organized and packed. The car is fueled and we'll get going as soon as our houseguest arises AND we find the kitty. We've done this enough times that kitty goes into hiding just to make things interesting. Cyndi and DW are on my mind this morning. I'm hoping Julie is feeling better and can return home today. :hug:

:welcome2: to AS1125! Best wishes on this plan! There's lots of support here!

What's on your weekend agenda? Stop and chat a bit :cofdate:

CyndiM
09-24-2011, 05:48 AM
Good morning Debbie and still sleeping Beachers :coffee2: Those of you I see on facebook already know about yesterday's drama. DW passed out in the morning and ended up spending the night at the hospital because they couldn't figure out what's going on. Sounds like they still don't know. I was there pretty late and am heading back up in about half an hour. Hopefully she will be back home this afternoon. On a more beachy note - why is the food in hospitals so unhealthy?! The hospital is part of a huge complex where she has her medical appointments so we've spent some time there recently. It's hard to find much to eat. All the salad dressings contain sugar and it goes from there. It's so frustrating, the one place you would think there might be some healthy choices :shrug: They are stuck in the old low fat idea and ignore added sugar.

It's another rainy fall day here, surprisingly warm though. I need to get moving and head north again. Happy weekend friends

seabiscuit
09-24-2011, 07:26 AM
Hi everyone, Cyndi- I really hope things improve, thinking of you! :hug:

Welcome AS1125!!! I hope you find a lot of great support here and if you have questions, let us know!

I'm doing okay, a little better I guess, just really tired. I wanted to take a walk into town this weekend but I don't know that I should. I probably should just stay here and relax. It feels so good to sleep and eat, I couldn't eat for awhile so it is nice to enjoy that but I want to eat more on plan foods and get out of the mentality that because I am recuperating from surgery, I can eat whatever I want.

Take care all, thinking of you and wishing you a a great start to the weekend.

TwynnB
09-24-2011, 07:34 AM
Good morning chickies!

Debbie - hope you find that kitty cat soon! I can't imagine being ready for anything at 5:30 am!!

Cyndi - hope they find some answers for Julie, and that she's feeling okay. Take care of yourself too! I agree - the food at hospitals is horrid. On the patient side, I remember when my dad was in for a stroke, and was on the 'diabetic diet', that his breakfast was....blueberry muffin! Great! That oughta help his blood sugar!

AS1125 - welcome!!

Seabiscuit - that mentality is so hard to overcome (and I have not). I think a huge step is just acknowledging it happens!

Off to work today. (boo!) I finished all our lodging arrangements last night, for our trip to AZ/UT next month! I'm so excited!! DH asked if the potential government shut down could effect it...ummmm, yeah. Darned it, I hadn't thought of that. With elections coming up, I would bet it would go thru sooner than later.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! I need to finish painting my DD's room, good thing she doesn't care...

Ruthxxx
09-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Checking in a bit late as I had a few wine glasses to get into the dishwasher. DWARPS is well named! We did have a good evening although it was too rainy for the smokers to use the back deck. They had to use the front porch where there are no chairs. It did make the smoke breaks shorter though.

Debbie, you remind me of Marco Polo! :lol: I hope that kitty comes out of hiding soon. My cat used to actually jump into the trunk when we packed the car.

Cyndi, I hope you get some answers today. What a surprise! Good thing you were home. Hospital food is absolutely terrible! When I had my operation, friends brought me good food daily. When I asked for fruit, I got mandarin oranges in sugar syrup!

Seabiscuit, I hope you feel better as the day progresses. Remember to rest as it speeds healing as does healthy food.

Twynn, I just figured out AZ/UT and even know where they are on the USA map. Now to figure out government shut-down. I guess I should check American TV once in a while.

I'm sort of tired and sore this morning so am going to get another coffee and soak in the tub with a book. All I HAVE to do today is make a dish for a pot luck tonight and I make take the easy way out and do a fruit salad. Diet gingerale, rum and coconut extract makes it special.

Enjoy your day - whatever you do.

WaistingTime
09-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Good morning!

Debbie - Hopefully you have found kitty and are safely on your way by now.

Cyndi - I hope she's okay and you get some answers. :hug:

Amy - Glad to hear the surgery went well. I think relaxing today is a good plan.

Twynn - Where are you going in AZ/UT? Did you tell us the Grand Canyon? My memory is so bad:(

Ruth - Spiked fruit! Fun. Hope you had a nice relaxing soak.

We are having a spell of great weather so I think we'll ride bikes this afternoon. DH wants to get back in time to watch college football; he watches my son's school team and they text each other during the game. Cute. Trying a new recipe tonight: quinoa veggie bake or some such. Nothing much else going on here.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

southmplsgirl
09-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Good Morning! Quick post, as I am at work.
Cyndi - So sorry to hear about DW's hospital visit. The food sure doesn't do much to help someone on their way to recovery...I hope she gets answers soon and is able to return home this afternoon.
Amy - Glad to feel you are okay! I agree that lots of rest and some healthy food will really do the body good :) Hope you continue to feel better and better.

Hi to everyone else...back to work for me.

Lexxiss
09-24-2011, 10:45 AM
:wave: We made it! (kitty, too) Off to the pool!

Chelby29
09-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Happy Saturday!

Debbie, Glad kitty showed up. She needs a bell on her collar. :)

Cyndi, When I was in the hospital, I ate a lot of plain oatmeal or broth. My family went out of the hospital to eat as the cafeteria was yucky and expensive.

Seabiscuit, Ride the 'I-just-had-surgery' wagon as long as possible. It's nice to have people take care of you sometimes. :)

Twynn, If you have to find other lodging, check out craigslist. I found a great condo at Disney last year for cheap!

Ruth, I may have missed something... What is DWARPS?

Karen, My TV is jammed with college football, too. My hubby isn't a fan of any particular team. He likes ALL SEC teams -- and there are LOTS of SEC games!

Angie, Have a great day at work!

Me: We've already been yard sale-ing this morning. Auston found all the good stuff. I'm looking for cool-weather clothes for him. Last fall, he was in a size 8. Now he's a size 10. He's a big boy!

Not anything exciting this weekend. Laundry, cleaning, napping. The usual. :)

Ruthxxx
09-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Sorry. DWARPS is the registered name of my Book Club. It stands for Drinkers With A Reading Problem.
(By the number of bottles I just took back for a refund, it's well-named!)

jenne1017
09-24-2011, 02:27 PM
lol Ruth
Cyn - hope DW feels better
:wave: to everyone!

I got to a late start, and I think I feel a cold coming on. Going to nap it off. Oh and my couch attacked me - a pin stuck out and literally gouged my foot last night. It's so sore!!

CyndiM
09-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Good afternoon Chicks :coffee2: I'll be making another pot of coffee soon, so it's still the smiley for me ;)

DW is staying over at least another night. She is definitely feeling better but because she passed out and has an elevated white count they want to keep an eye on her. Normally we might push to have her home so she can actually sleep, but she has major surgery scheduled in 3 weeks so it's really important that whatever this is be completely knocked out of her system so we aren't arguing. I decided to run home for a couple of hours and get a little done around here. I wish the hospital wasn't an hour away but they are awesome so it's the best place for her to be.

Debbie - Glad you managed to round up kitty and finished the drive in time for a swim

Amy - glad you're on the other side of the surgery. A relaxing day or recuperating sounds perfect

Twynn - Julie is on the "carb controlled diet". I couldn't believe the food choices :dizzy: They were surprised she didn't want dessert.
You plan the best vacations :) Will you camp?

Ruth - hope the soak did the trick

Karen - it's making me crazy that I don't have time to bike this weekend. It's so warm! Enjoy your weekend :)

ANgie - Hope work is uncomplicated and done soon!

Chel - Every time you post a new Auston pic I'm in shock. He's so grown! Happy napping

Jenn - ouch, hope it's feeling better soon. Sounds like a perfect day to curl up on the couch with a good book.

OKay, time to get back to chores before I head out again.

Desiroo
09-24-2011, 04:11 PM
It's the weekend - YES

good afternoon SBD peeps... 5 am hockey - done
4 loads laundry - done
Grocery shopping and errands for the weekend - done

Taking 30 to chill and then were getting ready for an OCTOBERFEST at a friends house TONIGHT!!!! I'll be good.

Hubby asked this morning if I had new pants on today (my khakis from yesterday-- wearing today-- I don't think we saw each other all week other than in our jammies in the morning and night) any who... I said no- I've had these... He said they look really loose on you ;)I was like really ... There still a little snug on the waist... He said no they look really loose everywhere else...YES AWESOME.. there my size 10 from old navy though ... So probably a larger size but I'll take that...

That will keep me being good tonight. Feel tired right now though - don't know why -ha! Early night tonight though with hockey again in the morning...

29 days until the ball!

You all have a wunder bar weekend!

seabiscuit
09-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the support everyone. I feel tired still, and I hope I can make it to work on Monday but I don't know. I don't want to push myself too much. I keep trying to not get ahead of myself and force myself to lay down or sit. I tried taking two 5 minute walks and I was so wiped out afterward. I am hoping tonight and tomorrow I will feel better.

I hope you are all well.

Ruthxxx
09-25-2011, 05:57 AM
Seabiscuit, I hope you feel better today. Anesthetic really is hard on your body even without surgery.

I have to tackle my sleep problem. I've been not getting to bed until midnight the past few nights and still wakening early. Grrrr! Of course partying has not helped although I've sure been having fun. Things should settle down this week though. I have a Food Fair this afternoon where I'll do walk about talking up the Mill and our stone-ground flour and ignoring the food and wine sampling tables. No more food events until I go to Ottawa for dinner next Saturday night. :carrot:

Raising my :coffee: mug to a restful Sunday.

CyndiM
09-25-2011, 06:12 AM
Good morning Ruth and happily snoozing Chicks :coffee2: I'm having the same sleep issues, but things are a little topsy turvy around here. Sadly I wasn't sleeping well before this started.

So DW insists she is coming home today unless the doctor has a compelling reason to stay. At this point the balance is tipping between observing and being cautious and just needing to sleep. Hospitals are not good places for sleeping. They still want to run an echo-cardiogram to make sure the tumor we already know about isn't pressing on anything major. Other than that unless all the blood-work and heart monitor show anything we may all just have to assume that she had some kind of virus and the passing out was just a blip. She goes in for surgery three weeks from tomorrow so I just hope she is as healthy as she can be for that.

In other news, I finally got my consultant contract settled. The problem with working for a union is that they love to negotiate and this just dragged out too long. We finally agreed on a number though and now I've got to really get to work in a serious way. The upside for Julie is that I bought her an iPad. I still think it's an extravagance but for someone about the be in the hospital for multiple days with a 4 week no driving, no lifting anything recovery it actually is useful. I told her yesterday and she spent the day looking at accessories :) she is such a geek!

I'm going to pretend I'm Cottage and try to get something useful done before breakfast. Then I'm heading back to the hospital to await the doctor. Yesterday I did get out for a little walk anyway. Dartmouth is in a really pretty rural area and it was a nice walk. Would love to get out on my bike though. Maybe tomorrow

Time for more coffee, lots more

seabiscuit
09-25-2011, 06:20 AM
Good morning everyone! I'm going to go back to bed in a few minutes but I like getting up and going on the PC for a little while.

Thanks Ruth. I feel just really tired. I hope I can return to work but I don't want to get there and have to turn around of my fatigue. I plan on taking it easy today. I hear ya about sleep problems. They're definitely a pain. Good luck with your sleep issues Ruth.

Thinking of ya Cyndi.

Chelby29
09-25-2011, 07:09 AM
When I opened the cabinet to get a coffee filter, something fell out. I instinctively grabbed it. It was the 4-sided cheese grater and I grated two of my fingers. Cyndi, I thought of you... :) I hope all goes well today and you both get to sleep in your own bed tonight. Hubby bought me an iPad for my birthday. HE loves it! :D

Ruth, I love the name of your book club! Too funny!

Seabiscuit, Are you in a job that will let you lay down if needed?

Auston spent the night with his grandparents last night. He loves staying there. They let him eat ice cream sandwiches and watch SpongeBob all night. :lol: It's good to be 7!

cottagebythesea
09-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Yikes, Chelby! That sounds painful!

seabiscuit, I hope you get to feeling more like yourself soon, but rest and take it easy in the meantime.

Cyndi, :lol:, the only thing productive I've done before breakfast today is to have my shower. ;) I'm vowing to have a very lazy day today. I hope Julie gets the "all clear" to be released today and there will be no more blips before her surgery. That's so sweet and thoughtful of you to get her an iPad. That will surely keep her busy and happy while she's recuperating. :) Congratulations on getting your contract settled, too!

Ruth, Good morning, you Party Girl! We are really enjoying the stone-ground flour from the Mill, especially the bran. I'm going to miss it when it's gone.

Yesterday started early and I never did get here. My DD and DGDs came out Friday night to stay over, and after staying up into the wee hours, we were up in time for Andrea to drop off Tyler at 6:30am yesterday to spend the day with us. The day just took off from there with breakfast, a plant auction, and a celebration/going away party for my nephew. Today promises to be a much calmer day. I hope.

Lexxiss
09-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Good Morning:sunny:

I just kept resisting the urge to get up this morning....not much exciting here. I'm sure we'll see the pool before church this morning and I haven't a clue what the rest of the day will bring.

Cyndi, I'm glad to hear that Julie will probably make it home today. An IPad sound like just what she'll need. Safe travels.

:wave: everyone else!

DH is sitting next to me staring at the laptop...better go.

southmplsgirl
09-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Good Morning!
Ruth - Man, I don't envy your sleep problems, although I think I wake a little earlier each year that I'm older. I remember just five or so years ago when I could sleep in until 11. Wow, that is hard to imagine now! Hopefully you have a relaxing day.
Cyndi - I don't think I would be sleeping much if I were in your shoes either. I hope for DW sake that she is able to leave the hospital today! How exciting and sweet that you bought Julie an iPad! Sounds like she certainly deserves it for being such a trooper through all of this. Hopefully it brings her some serious entertainment during the weeks to come :)
Seabiscuit - Morning! Hopefully you either are feeling well enough to work tomorrow, or have a job that is easy to miss for a day or two :)
Ouch, Chelby! That sounds painful...hope you have a great day!
Cottage - Sounds like you had a wonderful day yesterday! Thanks again for your quick reply to my question last night. Glad to know my purchase of four wasn't a colossal mistake :) And looking forward to more pizzas soon.
Debbie - LOL re: your hubby sitting and staring at the laptop. Chessa does that all the time to me when we should be going somewhere and I'm not finishing up in time!

As for me....got on the scale this morning, and down another 2 pounds! I guess I must be doing p2 at least somewhat right? I was very excited when I hopped on the scale. Had wheat for the first time last night in the form of whole wheat pizza, it was awesome! :D My sister joked this morning when I told her about my loss that I guess I'll have to eat pizza every day! :D On the schedule for us today is the usual church, clean/dog park, and football games for me while Chessa naps. :) Should be a great day off. I'm supposed to be off tomorrow, but have been told by my boss that I have to come in to work and terminate a manager that just started at my store about 2 months ago. She has had some problems. I'm really nervous, as I've done plenty of terminations, but never of a salary manager employee, always servers. This will be much different!

Off to drink coffee....

Pearlrose
09-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Good morning,

Cyndi- I hope that it was just a virus and that Julie will be in great shape for her upcoming surgery

Chelby- I did think about Cyndi when you said you grated your fingers. I hope it is not too painful.

Ruth- maybe you could get a cat nap in later today

Seabiscuit- Try to rest today. Do you have a sit down job or a walking around job

Debbi- enjoy your day

Angie- Congrats on your loss, doing great

I am sure I am missing a bunch of personals but hello to everyone else and hope you are doing well.

I went to go weigh in today and the battery is out on my scale so I guess I will go another week before seeing if I have managed to lose another lb.

We are off to church today and then this afternoon is the viewing for my friends son. I am sure I will be crying some more today. It is was a weird weekend, knowing my friends are grieving over their son but life goes on and it was homecoming weekend and watching a friends daughter get crowned Homecoming Queen. Make sure your loved ones know they are loved.

CyndiM
09-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Chelby- I did think about Cyndi when you said you grated your fingers.

Kevlar gloves, well worth the cost. No significant cooking related finger injuries since May ;)

sophie
09-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Hi

Busy babysitting while DD is in another town visiting a friend.
Just wanted to say to Cyndi, hope Julie feels better soon and that last year I passed out. DH called the ambulance and when they took my blood pressure it was extremely low. After many tests the only thing they could contribute it to was a virus. Pretty scary stuff.
Off I go to play cars
take care
Sophie

jenne1017
09-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Evening all,

How is it Sunday night already??? I hate that the work week is soooo slow but the weekend flies by. Got a lot done today which is good but not as much straightening up as I'd like And that last room is mocking us!!!

Gashed my foot on the couch (random pin sticking out - they are getting a call on Monday yet again - drama there because they sold us a couch knowing the fabric was out of stock 3 years prior and to get repaired cost $75 but what will they replace the fabric with??) and am in pain but didn't get a tetanus shot what a funny word to type!). Did ok eating today. Planning tomorrow out and feeling good about it.

Cyn, hope DW is home and on the mend!

:wave: see you all tomorrow! Don't want to jinx it but I am thinking of getting up early to hit the gym if my foot feels better.