General chatter - what are you doing with your FAT CLOTHES?

Napia
09-23-2011, 04:33 AM
I started losing weight when I was in a size 22/24. I now wear a size 16 missy. Last winter after getting down to a size 18 and a 1X in tops, I started bagging up my fat clothes to give away to the Salvation army. I didn't actually give them away though until I was confident I wouldn't gain back the weight.

Now I'm wearing a size 16 missy. I wear XL tops and I I've been bagging up my old clothes quick, fast and in a hurry. But I'ma hold on to a few things just in case I back slide a little. But once I get past a 16 those last plus sizes will be out the door!

So what about you guys? What have you done with your fat clothes as you've gone from your larger to smaller sizes?

Lovely
09-23-2011, 04:45 AM
Donated them to Goodwill.

IsobelRose22
09-23-2011, 05:05 AM
I will be binning mine, they're only fit for rags anyway (no charity shop would sell them) as I haven't bought clothes in so long, and good riddance :-)

Larry H
09-23-2011, 06:52 AM
I have been donating them at the back door of the Goodwill store. Then I go around to the front and go in the front door to buy more clothes to wear. I have been through three cycles of doing this so far. Yesterday was the third time for me. I have went from a 56 inch waist to a 38 inch waist. :D:D

Larry,

CyndiM
09-23-2011, 07:00 AM
I went from a 22/24 down to a 6 eventually. I brought my nicer clothes to a consignment shop and used the credit for new clothes. The still good but not perfect/big label clothes went to the local thrift stores. I kept one pair of pants for the official "old pants" picture but nothing else. I don't want it to be easy to regain weight.

bargoo
09-23-2011, 07:09 AM
Donate them, give away, get 'em out of the closet. I do not plan on wearing them again.

runningfromfat
09-23-2011, 07:16 AM
I've given all my 16's and most of my 14's away before we moved. I now have some 12's and a few 14's that are still left in my closet but I'm not sure what to do with them yet.

We're planning on TTCing once I hit a healthy BMI so I'm debating if I should wait to see if I can wear them again if I get pregnant. I also have a lot of plus sized maternity clothes that are brand new (I had a miscarriage earlier this year) so I'm hoping I can get those altered but I'm not sure if it'll be possible or now, we'll have to see! Otherwise I'll probably take the nicer things to a consignment shop and the rest give away.

monmis12
09-23-2011, 07:16 AM
About half way down, my mother and I had a garage sale where we specifically advertised plus size clothing and we sold out fast. We priced them quite low as we really just wanted to help others out. This was in a town that did not have a thrift shop at the time. Since then, I do what Larry does-They go to the back door of Goodwill and i go in the the front door to look for more. I do recommend keeping one shirt and one pair of pants. I just kept a pair of pants and I wish I had kept a shirt. I can fit in one pants leg of my "old pants":carrot:

sontaikle
09-23-2011, 07:35 AM
some of the stuff I've repurposed. I made a pair of jeans into a handbag. Having the bigger sizes around gives you a nice size bag! :D

I've been teaching myself how to sew, so having old clothes around that I don't care about really helps because I can practice without worrying about wasting money on material.

I've taken in a pair of jeans or two, but I generally don't want to go beyond two sizes. I've gotten much smaller than the majority of my clothes, so I can't really do this anymore.

monmis12 - That really sounds like a great idea. I might do that because I have a HUGE amount of plus size clothes (including quite a lot from Torrid) and I know how hard it is to find decent plus sized clothing and I need money to fund my new wardrobe.

Edit: I also agree with keeping a few pairs around just to see how far you've come :) I have a pair of size 14 skinny jeans that were too tight on me when I bought them and now I can't wear them because they will fall off. I have one of my size 18 skirts for perspective too.

blueheron777
09-23-2011, 08:02 AM
I had quite a few of my clothes taken in by a friend, in fact, kept having to get them made smaller. But after a 40 lb loss, it got too difficult to alter them any further. So I had to give them to Value Village and as Larry H noted, it's to the back door with the old and out the front door with the "new"!

Main thing was that this time, I am NOT keeping my fat clothes around. I WON'T use them again. I have learned that once the weight is off, you can't revert to your old ways--maintenance is as important as losing the weight. So good-bye fat clothes, may you be of use to someone else.

OhThePlaces
09-23-2011, 08:30 AM
My mom has also lost weight this year, so first I gave her my 12's, then my 10's and 8's. I've also donated a lot to Salvation Army.

ChickieChicks
09-23-2011, 08:37 AM
All of my nice clothes, I gave to friends. Church dresses, etc. The rest has been donated to Goodwill!

Napia
09-23-2011, 08:38 AM
I wish I had kept my size 22/24s. But shot I have a few pictures of myself that size that I hate looking at. But shoot at least I've got a good before pic that I can reference.

FitGirlyGirl
09-23-2011, 08:56 AM
I have been donating them at the back door of the Goodwill store. Then I go around to the front and go in the front door to buy more clothes to wear.

This! Though for me it is mostly the Airman's Attic - a charity shop type thing the base has except that everything is free, people donate stuff and it is run by volunteers and can only be "shopped" up to a certain rank. I'm lucky to be getting this weight loss thing done while my DH is still at the highest rank that is allowed to use it. If I need something that I can't find there then I hit Goodwill and then clearance racks after that. I almost never buy any outer clothing new and what little I do buy is usually at least 50% off. The only thing I buy new is undies. I have gone from a 22 to an 8 so far, buying all those clothes new would have killed us, my veggies are expensive enough as it is!

Panacea86
09-23-2011, 09:02 AM
I have a huge heap of fat clothes in the spare room. They really aren't that nice, not sure if they're fit for goodwill.

juliana77
09-23-2011, 09:09 AM
I donate all of my decent stuff to Salvation Army. Anything that's ratty gets trashed. I have several nice dresses (cocktail/evening) that I am debating what to do with. Might sell on eBay or look for a consignment shop

IsobelRose22
09-23-2011, 09:24 AM
I donate all of my decent stuff to Salvation Army. Anything that's ratty gets trashed. I have several nice dresses (cocktail/evening) that I am debating what to do with. Might sell on eBay or look for a consignment shop

I do have the most beautiful dress in the world, I'm going to try and get a dressmaker to adjust it when I get to goal. Its to beautiful, expensive and has too many happy memories attached to it to send it to a charity shop or sell it.

kaplods
09-23-2011, 01:03 PM
I sell, donate and shop the consignment shops and thrift stores.

I've actually even made a profit at times. For example, I bought some very nice tops in a thrift store for under $4 and then when I was done with them, I sold them in consignment shops and made $4 to $8. So it's like getting free clothes or even being paid to shop.

I've even considered buying clothes in thrift stores that aren't my size at all, and selling them in the consignment shops. If I worked at it, I bet I could make it my business, especially in this economy as the thrift and consigment stores are doing extraordinarily well. In fact, new stores are always opening, and the prices in the consigment and thrift stores have been going up as the demand has gone up.

JOLINA
09-23-2011, 03:13 PM
I have been throwing out all the clothes that are in sad shape.
The nicer ones I will sell eventually, but I need to accumulate a lot more of them.

I am going into maintenance when I reach my goal, so I won't need any of my fat clothes. I am soooo glad to see them go.

:cloud9:

By perseverance the snail reached the ark.
Charles H Spurgeon (1834 - 1892)

:snail: ... :snail: ... :snail: ... :snail:

ItsMyTurn
09-23-2011, 03:31 PM
My coworker went up to a size 18 as I went down into a 16, so we swapped clothes. Then when I got into 14s, I had a couple, and so did she (and she found them depressing to keep around so gave them to me). I haven't gotten rid of the 16s yet though. I am now heading to 12s and that means the pile of clothes I have been trying to weed out of my closet is piling up. I have some folks that have said they would take certain items I have (and I will gladly give away so SOMEONE can get use out of them), but undecided on the rest yet. I have all the time in the world to figure it out, it's not like I am wearing them out anymore :lol:

April Snow
09-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Main thing was that this time, I am NOT keeping my fat clothes around. I WON'T use them again. I have learned that once the weight is off, you can't revert to your old ways--maintenance is as important as losing the weight. So good-bye fat clothes, may you be of use to someone else.

ditto!!!! I made that mistake a year ago and put back on all but about 5 lbs of the over 40 I had lost. And was able to convince myself it wasn't really happening because I still fit into my clothes. Except of course, not the couple of new things I had bought to fit my smaller size, but I was easily able to ignore that fact.

I'm donating to charity. I could probably make a little money doing the consignment thing and all that but it's a bigger value to me to just get them OUT of my house (and as a single mom working full time outside the home, efficiency is my highest priority).

So I've actually got a charity pick up scheduled for Monday and plan to have a minimum of two bags of clothing plus a carton of shoes all left out for them. Hopefully, it will be more than 2 bags, but I didn't plan on coming down with a cold and having limited energy to try to do some closet purging. :(

Mimzzy
09-23-2011, 05:34 PM
I bagged all mine up and gave them to goodwill. I only do this when they are so big they are falling off me though, I have a hard time giving away my clothes lol

gagalu
09-23-2011, 05:43 PM
i sold most of mine at plato's closet, and donated the rest. :)

jilly6
09-24-2011, 04:00 PM
One thing NOT to do is -

If you put them on EBay or Craigslist say something only the lines of:

I lost a ton of weight, so you can have all of my fat clothes.
My loss is your gain.

Those two kinds of statements make me feel like a total failure and I would NEVER buy clothes from them.

I give mine away to a church clothes closet where everything is free.

carter
09-24-2011, 04:50 PM
I put mine in a Planet Aid dropbox.

I've been losing weight for two years, and so as each season rolls around I take a look at what can be replaced. I just bought a couple of sweaters for fall in my new size, which means my two biggest sweaters can go into the next Planet Aid pile.

I don't have that much left to lose, so it's possible that the sweaters I buy this year might still fit me next year (if a little roomier). But the stuff I bought last year definitely doesn't fit now, especially because right now I love my new body and want to wear things that are a little less boxy and a little more form-fitting. ;)

twinieten
09-24-2011, 09:53 PM
I don't have a whole lot of fat clothes because I rsisted buying them. Because my job had a uniform, I could get away with big T shirts and draw string pants and shorts the rest of the time. I know, real attractive. Of the good clothes I had in size 14, I donated those. I still have the all shirts because I can still wear them.

I have one pair of size 16 shorts that I was forced to buy because I had to have something nicer than draw string work out clothes and a big T-shirt to wear to a get together. They hang in my closet and remind me of where I never need to go again, and I'm keeping them. People say to get rid of the fat clothes, and that's what I did the last time around. This time, I want to keep that one reminder.

Baicane
09-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Me and my mother are both on diets together. As she loses, she plans to take over the clothes I have gotten to small for.

sabri711
09-24-2011, 10:24 PM
I plan to donate all of mine.. I have been resisting buying new clothes because at 22lb lost, I still fit into my clothes, only they are baggy... but I don't know why, it never occurred to me to purchase my in-between clothes at goodwill. I guess in my head, I just figured I could wear a size 18 pair of jeans until I was 145 lb. hahahaha Thanks guys! I will most defiantly be doing that.

MrsTee
09-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Gave them all away to Charity shops.

Got to get them out of the house, I have to make it as tough as possible to regain! That is NOT happening!!!!!

Panacea86
09-26-2011, 10:57 AM
I just had that moment this weekend, I'm so used to wanting to save my fat clothes "just in case"....just in case WHAT?? I'm held and gunpoint and forced to gain 100lbs?

I have ultimate control over what freaking size clothes I wear. I was in disbelief I could ever be that stupid LOL.

Huzzahforska
09-26-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm planning on giving all of my nicer things to my friend, she just gained a whole bunch of weight and is not interested in losing it yet (at least not in a healthy way, so if she does lose any it'll be back soon.. sad to say) and anything else she doesn't want I'm giving to charity. I'm keeping one pair or fat pants to remind myself how at one point it was my first goal pair.. I've had them for almost a year and they were snug when I bought them, then after I had surgery I gained just a little bit more and I never actually got to wear them. My other jeans that aren't worth donating, I've been making into shorts and stuff. My mom asked me why I was destroying all of my jeans and I said "they're old and ratty.. and I don't plan on being able to wear them for much longer anyway."

FrouFrou
09-27-2011, 05:07 PM
I gave mine and will continue to give mine to the Goodwill. Will not keep them around to have in case I start to gain. If I have no bigger clothes it forces me to do something.

Eruanna
09-27-2011, 05:27 PM
I sold a couple of items online as they had hardly been worn, but the rest went to a local charity shop :)

yoyoma
09-28-2011, 09:08 AM
I donate mine or give stuff to friends if I think they are interested. I am now trying to say goodbye to a lot of clothes that I love but are a smidge loose on me. I just don't want to give myself the slack to gain weight, especially with winter (my nemesis!) peeking around the corner. Problem is, I don't have any tighter clothes to replace them, and since I tend to shop thrift stores, it takes a lot of shopping to build up a supply of clothes I love (well, pants anyway -- shirts are generally no problem and I don't mind if they are a bit loose).

I've been busy, but I've just got to make the time to go thrift shopping for some skin tight pants, or buy them full price so that I am forced to stay the course over the winter.

Huzzahforska
09-28-2011, 01:46 PM
yoyoma, sears.com has a pretty good selection of not too expensive jeans and pants. I bought a pair because I knew I wouldn't be in them long and they actually look pretty good for $13 jeans from sears.

Huzzahforska
09-28-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm making a quilt out of my old t-shirts that are too big. Only ones with bands i like on them, though (that's still about 45 t-shirts). The others- cleaning rags since they aren't worth donating.

pinksparkles
09-28-2011, 05:14 PM
I use my too-big t-shirts for working out in, but the rest I've donated to thrift stores. I'm guilty of the "donate in the back, shop in the front" phenomenon too. :P

mhill0823
09-28-2011, 11:37 PM
I haven't gotten rid of really anything yet. I think I'm still in that phase where I can still fit in everything... it's just baggy... but once I get to that point I will just donate everything to goodwill.