South Beach Diet - What's in your smoothie?

View Full Version : What's in your smoothie?

anilom007
09-21-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm addicted to making these smoothies or green monsters etc for breakfast and sometimes lunch to! I love them - and I have my 18 year old son loving them to! Looking on the OP thread a lot of you make some yummy looking ones as well. I wonder if everyone would be willing to share their own recipe or two (or just ingredients will do) ... Im sure we would all love the variety ? :)

My fav at the moment is a cup of unsweetened almond milk, a scoop of chocolate protein powder, a few fresh berries, a dash of Torinis SF vanilla, and two big handfuls of spinach with some ice in the blender. I've tried it without the spinach but I love the texture and extra flavor it gives.

jerseygiiirl
09-21-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm so creeped out by mixing up spinach amd veggies with sweet stuff but your recipe I may actually try once I'm on phase 2!!!

jerseygiiirl
09-21-2011, 10:06 PM
By the way which protein powder are you using?

anilom007
09-21-2011, 11:23 PM
I used to be as well! Another great find since starting SB has been a bit of organic peanut butter and 1/2 an apple for dessert. I love pb in a satay sauce and apples are good but if you told me two months ago id be eating them together I would say you were crazy. Its soo good though. I hope you do try the smoothie with the veg when you get to P2!

For the protein powder, I just picked up one in Walmart, it was a Jillian Michaels. I didnt know which one to get and the only reason i picked this one was that it had no wheat products where as the others had a warning that it may contain it... and i have problems with wheat. I'm sure others here have better recommendations on the protein powder though!

Let us know when you do try it! :)

CyndiM
09-22-2011, 07:27 AM
I make mine up depending on mood and what's in the house (and at the farm stand!). I really like small zucchini and chard mixed in. Neither adds noticeable flavor, just nutrients and fiber. I do think the zucchini make it creamier though :shrug: Might be my imagination. I like cheesecake smoothies with berries or pumpkin - cottage or ricotta cheese, greek yogurt, good vanilla and fruits and veggies. I also just like to throw thing in and experiment. If I use Greek yogurt and/or cottage or ricotta cheese I don't use protein powder, there's already plenty of protein. If I don't I like hemp protein powders. I experimented with small packets of several varieties (my Co-op even had sample packets of some varieties) before finding the ones I liked. I always add chia too, it keeps me full longer. I know Zeffryn has some actual recipes so hopefully she will chime in :)

cottagebythesea
09-22-2011, 07:48 AM
My guidelines for my green monster are pretty similar to Cyndi's. I don't use protein powder, though. I always add either the ricotta or cottage cheese for protein, and make mine with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I like to throw a piece of dried ginger in it, too.

Lexxiss
09-22-2011, 03:12 PM
I use a VitaMix so I'm able to pitch in just about anything I can find in my veggie bin. I always start with a small chunk of ginger root and cucumber. I then add whatever fruit I have on hand, which usually includes my own frozen raspberries. Next I move to greens; spinach, kale, zucchini...whatever is on hand.

I have a protein powder/green powder combo that I started a year before I started SBD. It REALLY works for me, so it I continue to add it in and call it my every day breakfast. It's a combination of 2 products, "Supreme Meal", by Peaceful Planet and "Green Vibrance" by Vibrant Health)Green Vibrance (http://www.vibranthealth.us/?p2=/modules/vibranthealth/product.jsp&id=28&category=52). Taken along with my vitamins, this smoothie carries me through to lunch, and that's without a snack break. BTW-the Supreme Meal is vegan Supreme Meal (http://www.nutraceutical.com/search/view_product.cfm?product_index=8651254). I stay away from soy proteins since it's every day for me and I try not to load up on the soy.

My protein/green powder is about 140 calories so I don't usually add yogurt or any of the various milks. I enjoy it just as it is...plus I don't ever have to decide what to have for breakfast.

jenne1017
09-22-2011, 04:19 PM
I love the regular one: chia, spinach, banana, PB and almond milk. Also like to omit the banana _ PB (since I don't care for the banana anyway) and add greek yogurt and berries (usually frozen).

TwynnB
09-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Mmmm...I'm having one right now! Mine is yogurt, froz. blueberries, banana, stevia, and kale. Then I add a 1/4 c. homemade granola on top, which seems to do a much better job at holding me over. Yum!

I do want to try either the zucchini or cucumber added sometime...

Usernametaken
09-23-2011, 09:50 PM
For me, the mandatory ingredients are ff yogurt, frozen banana, ns almond milk and spinach. Frequent guest stars include
Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder (serious goodness)
sugar free pb/almond butter
zuchini
apple sauce
healthy dose of cinnamon
tofu
espresso powder
peppermint extract
frozen berries/strawberries/mango
chia seeds

Seriously in love with my morning smoothie. My great-nephew (2yo) is staying with me for a few days and he is hooked on "milk shakes" now