UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 202.5/189/120

Height: 5'2

Default Ryvita ideas.

Hello, back again I am. I have just got into Ryvita since OH and I stopped buying bread as we decided we ate too much of it and it was a large contributing factor to our weight. I am looking for ways to make it more interesting at the moment I just spread it with a little bit of butter, but I want other ideas. Simon has it with Marmite and wafer thin ham (not sure I would like that). Has anyone ever tried melting cheese on ryvita?

Last edited by roobear; 09-20-2011 at 08:39 AM.
roobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Sharp, flavorful cheeses are really good on Ryvita. You can slice them very thin (I actually use a vegetable peeler for hard cheeses) or spread them thin if they are soft, and save the calories. Sharp cheddar, parmesan or goat cheeses are usually what I use, and they're very decorative when you top the cheese with a contrasting vegetable or fruit -- things like halved grapes, thin slices of pear, sun-dried tomatoes. Makes it all fancy-like, as if you're having a party. There are so many nice English cheeses, and they tend to be more flavorful than the processed cheeses which are common in the US. Although sometimes a bit of Velveeta on top is good too.

Hardboiled eggs, deviled or sliced, then topped with chopped herbs or rocket (arugula) or sundried tomato or olives.

Flavored cream cheese, like strawberry or garlic-herb or whatever, is also really good with them. Peanut butter was an old standby in my household when I was small, but that not may be your taste.

I also really like tuna, pickled herring, or sardines on Ryvita. Again, fishy may be an acquired taste for you. I have a thing for sardines in tomato sauce, which are very inexpensive here, and a good source of protein and Omega 3s. And sometimes they just hit the spot. In the case of the sardines the Ryvita is really just a delivery system that seems a bit more civilized than eating them out of the can. They have the John West brand here which has all sorts of variations in the sardine-kipper family whose details I'm not familiar with (silts?!?) but are all good.

You could try googling Ryvita toppings for ideas, or also look up recipes for tea sandwich fillings since they are traditionally on rather bland breads also.

Last edited by bronzeager; 09-20-2011 at 11:34 AM.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202.5/189/120

The hard cheese and fruit sounds really good, may have to try that. I hate eggs, all fish and seafood and not a big fan of soft cheeses, but thanks for the ideas.

Last edited by roobear; 09-20-2011 at 02:21 PM.
roobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 266/152/140

Height: 5 ft 9

I have banana on mine, or a bit of low fat mayo with wafer thin chicken and cherry tomatos. I also like the ryvita crisp breads (11 cals per slice) they're better if you like slightly sweeter toppings, like low fat peanut butter or a bit of jam.
IsobelRose22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/158/105

Height: 4ft 11"

I like ryvita with tomato soup. I also have them with scrambled egg and mushrooms. Cheese and pickle is my fav (I grate my cheese) and I have honey or lemon curd if I fancy something sweet.
lisa4621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:00 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 350/292/140

Height: 5f 7

I like LF hummus and grated carrot yum xxxx
topsy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #7  

I love Ryvita Sesame with cream cheese and smoked salmon.

Pat
pineja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

I ate Ryvita with onion and chives dip and smoked salmon on top the other day. Yummy.
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #9  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

I love them spread thinly with Hellman's (or other good quality mayonnaise) LIght plus whatever veggie I fancy... my faves are: mayo and tomato, mayo and cucumber, mayo and red pepper, and I LOVE avocado and onion!

Makes a great snack (healthy!) with high fiber and very few cals.
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

I second the hummus idea! Delicious!
Macadamia Nut is offline   Reply With Quote